Chelsea vs Manchester United Wednesday May 9th

Toronto_Mike

Scent of a Woman
Chelsea -0.25 @ 1.975
Chelsea ML @ 2.25

Match is meaningless in terms of standings. Manchester Utd won the title on the weekend with a win at Man City and Chelsea drawing against Arsenal. Man Utd will expect an EXTREMELY rowdy reception at the Bridge. John Terry will hand over the guard of honor to Man Utd for being crowned new the Champions, this process happens every year, the game after a team has been crowned Champions.

Man Utd have not won at the Bridge since 2002. In fact they've only beaten Chelsea twice since 2002. Chelsea have won or drawn the rest of the fixture. But a notable stat is that Chelsea have not loss a single home premiership encounter since 2003. Probably the most dominant home team in all of Europe.

Emotions will run high on this match as its a prequel to the FA Cup Final. Chelsea have had a disastrous season thus far. Losing to Liverpool in the Champs League Semi's, losing to Man Utd for the title and only having the Carling Cup to their name. That is not enough for a club of this stature and the money that has been invested, anything less than a Premiership win is failure. Now, Man Utd will most likely soften the line up to prevent any injury and try to get the Double with a win over Chelsea at Wembley for the FA Cup. Chelsea are also on the same boat, but in reality they must think, does losing to Man Utd really bode well for the fans? The Blues have one more home game before Wembley and i see that as really as the laid back game, stars come out to play, get subbed and thank for the season. But this is still a big match even though the value has been dropped, there is still a lot of pride to be played with.

Questions have surrounded the team spirit of Chelsea and throughout the season the team has been criticized about their team unity. Here is the chance to prove it. They still have a dangerous line up and they still have home field advantage. Utd may have partied too much over the weekend and Chelsea can think about what they did to lose out on the title. Very close race as both teams just were consistant week in and week out.

But in my opinion, Chelsea will want this one a little bit more and will be eager to get 2 wins over Utd in the final weeks of the season to get some sort of revenge.

Prediction: Chelsea 1-0 Manchester Utd
Goal Scorer: Salomon Kalou

looks like Ferguson is ready to lose tomorrow, reading reports how he is more focused on the West Ham game than tomorrow's match

Like it Mike, trailing you for one unit:

Chelsea ML, risking 1 unit to win 1.3 unit
:cheers:

neither team will field a strong team.

they wanna save their best players and strategies for the cup final.

game has draw written all over it, probably 1-1.

neither team will field a strong team.

they wanna save their best players and strategies for the cup final.

game has draw written all over it, probably 1-1.

that is not the case because, Chelsea have not stated who they will field whereas Utd have already noted that they will field a weakened side.

Also the Cup Final is on the 19th. Its not like they are playing 3 days later after this encounter

Knowing Mourinho like I do (FCPorto fan here), I would say he means biz tomorrow, even if the game is not important. It's a matter of pride for him and that is as important as winning a competition.

Yeah, it means a whole lot more to Chelsea because they are at home and Mourinho's job might be on the line if they look bad in this match, and go on to get beat at Wembley.

Haven't played anything on this match yet, but might do so after I check the lineups tomorrow.

Nice points Mike.

Tailing you on this one, 1 unit each on Chelsea ML and Chelsea -0.25. Might add another unit on the under. I see o/u 2.25 in my local.

Let's hit this one!!!

I like it too torontomike. Chelseas at home and will not want the further embarassement of losing at home to ManU.

With you on this T-Mike

Chelsea also closing in on Liverpool's all time premiership record of number of games undefeated at home, something ridiculous like 60 games.

Just looked it up - record is 63, Chelsea currently on 60. Last home loss in the league was Feb 2004 against Arsenal.

Got nothing to do with this game, just a nice to know thing ;)

thanks for the stats Rod, i think to keep that sort of record in the EPL is something else really. Really goes to show how intimidating a stadium can be. I remembered when the San Siro, Nou Camp and Bernabeau were the most outrageous stadiums to play, they still are but the team is rather beatable.

so far these are the players that Alex Ferguson will rest

GK-Edwin van der Sar
MD-Ryan Giggs
MD-Paul Scholes

Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidic, if fit will play for only a few moments to get back into fitness

Chelsea will miss Shevchenko, Ballack and Carvalho. Only Carvalho is the key missing spot, Sheva has just been a joke this summer, Ballack is clueless in the EPL.

Chelsea still fared well without Carvalho. There is a lot of dignity and pride set in this game. Just go onto any major football site and read what Ferguson has installed for the weekend.

0-0 FT

No idea how Chelsea did not win that one. They dominated majority of the match and if it wasn't for Kuzsack they would of lost 2-0 or so.

On to weekend, last game of the season, i'll write up previews for all games before tomorrow morning, i'm off to NYC so making my bets now.

Played both the Chelsea ML and Chelsea -0.25 for half-unit. Too bad it didn't hit. Should have played the under and the draw also.

Anyway, the game was Chelsea's to take. Just didn't pound it like they should have.

Back