Charlie Strong To Texas

U really meant that shit huh?

In other news, those that think Strong was a panic hire. Offshores had him as a fave 3wks ago

Charlie Strong 2/1

Art Briles 9/2

James Franklin 5/1

Mike Gundy 7/1

Bill O'Brien 15/2

Chip Kelly 10/1

David Shaw 10/1

Jim Mora 10/1

Jimbo Fisher 15/1

Jim Harbaugh 20/1

Mike Tomlin 20/1

Dude is a great hire and some of you will be eating your words.

Why is he a great hire?

Ha Ha! I don't think he's going anywhere but do you not agree that he could do some good things at one of the traditional powers? I think the guy is a fantastic coach.

He had some time management blunders this season, but I feel like he is gonna be a good one. He won't last at Carolina, though. He'll be gone by next year or the year after for greener pastures.

U know u can delete multiple posts like that, right? Just click "edit post" > "delete post".

Anyway...

First thought: WTF? That's the best Texas could do? You gotta be kidding me... I can probably think of AT LEAST 10-15 top notch coaches I'd rather have. Where would Charlie Strong be without Teddy Bridgewater?

Second thought: I guess maybe they're trying to make sure they get a black coach to try to retain all the top black talent in Texas that has been going somewhere other than Austin.

Difference between Strong and other candidates is Lousiville still accepts anyone on the football team who can breathe meaning they get all the really good recruits who couldn't get into the normal good schools. An equalizer could be if and when Texas starts to get the pick of the litter again.

Strong fits several of the criteria that I wanted as a Texas fan.

1. His kids would run through a wall for him and he convinces them the opponent is that wall.
2. He has his kids play tough and physical
3. He can recruit
4. High character guy

Where he currently fails is

1. Offensive system is fun to watch ( because it is football not modern football ) but I really wanted an offensive genius.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out but I am rather a fan of the hire.

I never thought of Fedora but he would have been perfect .... wizard of a coach and it would have been ironic since we stole mack from unc.

1. His kids would run through a wall for him and he convinces them the opponent is that wall.
3. He can recruit
4. High character guy

1. Offensive system is fun to watch ( because it is football not modern football ) but I really wanted an offensive genius.

It will be interesting to see how it plays out but I am rather a fan of the hire.

I never thought of Fedora but he would have been perfect .... wizard of a coach and it would have been ironic since we stole mack from unc.
Exactly!

I think Jimbo and Gus would have been legit options if not for them playing for the championship. Once the ACC and SEC CG were decided, those two were off the table IMO. ETG, I have been saying Texas should have talked to Richt all along. Great track record with QBs, and is getting a little stale in Athens, but no idea if he'd even entertain leaving. I think Strong is a safe hire. He may be a great hire, but if he disappoints, you can always look back and say that he was one of the best available. Hiring a coordinator or a lower division coach would riskier and would have a much shorter leash than an established HC.

Saw elsewhere that one of Strong's top recruiters/assistant coaches has a show cause. Will Texas let him follow?

3. He can recruit
4. High character guy

You didn't steal Mack from Carolina. We opened the gate for him as y'all picked him up at the entrance. The administration is cheap and does not care one iota about football.

Agree with gps that Strong is a safe hire. High character, made lemonade in Louisville when presented with a program that was on its way down, and gives them a legit chance to get their shit back together on the defensive side of the ball. I don't know that he'll be great there but you can't say he was a "bad" hire. Once Briles came off the table I think this was the move.

Can I get a list of coaches for this job?
I gave you a couple. Granted Peterson was off the table but if they wanted to entice him they could have gone after him months ago when they knew that Brown was done. You know Texas isn't hiring a coordinator that has never been a HC before and you know they aren't going to the MAC or smaller conferences so it does limit their pool. I just think Texas should have been able to get a guy with a longer track record. Strong may turn out to be great and I'm wrong but I certainly don't think he's the next Urban Meyer either.

I would take Fedora over Strong based on entire body of HC work from purely a coaching standpoint. I have no idea who is a better recruiter but again, I think a Mouse could recruit to Texas just due to their name. Let's see what staff Strong puts together, that will say a lot about the hire IMHO.

I just do not buy that Texas isn't Texas anymore, I guess.

I still do not believe he was in their top 5 of wants....

Texas made this bed with their moronic loyalty to Mack Brown in a game that doesn't know loyalty anymore

They have been lapped...

Funny you say that, I'm actually pretty good friends with Greg Linton. The agent for John Conner & about 6 other NFL players. We just spoke about this. Your move......

That's telling him big, bad SilkyDiamonds. No one should cross the almighty SD! You get dealt wit bully style!

thought this was hilarious

xcsc.gif

I think Strong is a great hire. He may not be an offensive prodigy but defense and line play wins championships. He was a stud as fla d coordinator, better than clown Muschamp. It's not like Saban is some offensive juggernaut. He is just solid. Fedora is like a self centered, unorganized, volatile peacock. Art Briles is Mike Leach or Rich Rodriguez, give me a break with these fast break offenses.

Back