Championship Week What Are We Learning

Favorites go 7-2 ATS in FBS today. A couple games had some compelling moments, but ovearll there was really only one close contested game. It would've been better if there was a power outage where I live today and tonight

UCF looked terrible on offense until they put Plumlee in. Something to pay attention to in their Bowl matchup. 3rd string QB was downright awful.
Who’s beating Jorga or losing to them by less than 20? Hope Michigan gives us something.
TCU can’t beat K St, barely beat Baylor but deserve to be in? Not for me.
UNC checked out after losing to G Tech.
Clemson gonna be a good Bowl team with the new QB.
Love me some Tulane. Good QB & electric RB #22.
Did not watch a second of Boise or Troy games.
CFB could have used both OSU & Bama to slide into the Final 4. Haven’t we seen enough of 3rd tier teams like TCU in the playoffs?

UCF looked terrible on offense until they put Plumlee in. Something to pay attention to in their Bowl matchup. 3rd string QB was downright awful.
Who’s beating Jorga or losing to them by less than 20? Hope Michigan gives us something.
TCU can’t beat K St, barely beat Baylor but deserve to be in? Not for me.
UNC checked out after losing to G Tech.
Clemson gonna be a good Bowl team with the new QB.
Love me some Tulane. Good QB & electric RB #22.
Did not watch a second of Boise or Troy games.
CFB could have used both OSU & Bama to slide into the Final 4. Haven’t we seen enough of 3rd tier teams like TCU in the playoffs?

You don't like 3rd tier teams? What do you think your most favorite 12 team playoff is going to give you?

Favorites go 7-2 ATS in FBS today. A couple games had some compelling moments, but ovearll there was really only one close contested game. It would've been better if there was a power outage where I live today and tonight
This day in college football never lives up to its billing. Its a reflection of the season in that its lacking juice.

You don't like 3rd tier teams? What do you think your most favorite 12 team playoff is going to give you?
More meaningful regular season games for other teams around the country. You still don’t get it do you?

More meaningful regular season games for other teams around the country. You still don’t get it do you?
I will never get that because losers of important games get rewarded when they are given a playoff birth in large format playoff with at large picks. It is the exact opposite of making regular season games more meaningful.

National media: Alabama and Ohio St don't deserve to get in, this is ridiculous to even consider them

Also national media in a month: These semifinal games aren't even competitive, we need to allow more teams in

I don't have any strong feelings about my team getting in or not. Of course I'd love to make the playoffs, but I fully agree that we don't deserve it. I find it funny that a lot of national media types are spending so much mental energy arguing why Alabama isn't one of the 4 best teams when we know the real reason is that they don't want us in because we are one of the few teams that could win it all, despite all of our short-comings. Just say we don't deserve it and leave it at that. Even though the mandate is to find the 4 best teams, just say Alabama didn't do enough to get in and I think most people are ok with that, even if you think that we are technically one of the 4 best.

If we aren't in the top 4, expect to hear about Bryce Young getting shoulder surgery this week and about 15-20+ opt-outs for the bowl.

National media: Alabama and Ohio St don't deserve to get in, this is ridiculous to even consider them

Also national media in a month: These semifinal games aren't even competitive, we need to allow more teams in

I don't have any strong feelings about my team getting in or not. Of course I'd love to make the playoffs, but I fully agree that we don't deserve it. I find it funny that a lot of national media types are spending so much mental energy arguing why Alabama isn't one of the 4 best teams when we know the real reason is that they don't want us in because we are one of the few teams that could win it all, despite all of our short-comings. Just say we don't deserve it and leave it at that. Even though the mandate is to find the 4 best teams, just say Alabama didn't do enough to get in and I think most people are ok with that, even if you think that we are technically one of the 4 best.

If we aren't in the top 4, expect to hear about Bryce Young getting shoulder surgery this week and about 15-20+ opt-outs for the bowl.
And this is where I wish these big NIL deals had stipulations about opting out.

But....if companies are competing for an athlete, one company could have a bowl game stipulation another company might not have it and that gives the player flexibility by not contractually being obligated to play the bowl game. So then "somebody" would have to mandate identifying specific games and post season play in the contract at which point there would be lots of loop holes and language where the player could get out of it. I support the sentiment and wish it was that way myself, but I don't think it is realistic to think that will happen.

I wish they could, but those deals can't be contingent on participation. Will be interesting to see if some of the players that signed these huge NIL deals had contracts that will pay them even if they transfer out. Would be hilarious if some of these aTm transfers will still get money from the Aggie Collective even though they no longer play there

DJ Uiagalelei will be entering the portal along with WR EJ Williams (4*), CB Fred Davis (5*), and walk-on QB Billy Wiles.

I have a hard time with Ohio State and TCU making the playoffs. Those spots should be K State, Utah or Clemson. K State would be the easiest choice for me of those three but I could live with Utah and Clemson too.

Ohio State, TCU, Bama, Vols, USC .... you all had your chance and you couldn't do it.

That said, I think it is the most compelling playoff since they started it.

I have a hard time with Ohio State and TCU making the playoffs. Those spots should be K State, Utah or Clemson. K State would be the easiest choice for me of those three but I could live with Utah and Clemson too.

Ohio State, TCU, Bama, Vols, USC .... you all had your chance and you couldn't do it.

Yeah, it appears conference championships don't matter. After that turd loss to Florida to start the season Utah has nobody to blame but themselves. At least the ksu loss to Tulane was to a team that ended up being pretty good and winning their conference.

Yeah, it appears conference championships don't matter. After that turd loss to Florida to start the season Utah has nobody to blame but themselves. At least the ksu loss to Tulane was to a team that ended up being pretty good and winning their conference.
They don't.

The big problem is division imbalance (big ten the worst offender with #2, #4 and #10 all on one side).

Has made the whole thing subjective and easy to forget, that part I appreciate

One game, Geogia/Mich for the marbles is interesting. NYE semifinals is the opposite. This won't be memorable other than to fans of the schools involved.

Can't wait to forget more games down the road as it expands, with ALS now in the family, these are times to enjoy the past

TCU went undefeated in the toughest, top to bottom, conference in the country. Won every game.

And we want to punish them for losing a conference title game, in OT, in a game that really never should have been played?

I don't understand that.

TCU went undefeated in the toughest, top to bottom, conference in the country. Won every game.

And we want to punish them for losing a conference title game, in OT, in a game that really never should have been played?

I don't understand that.
It is how the conference determines its champion. Kstate is the champion, TCU is the runner up.

YES, resounding YES, that I want to punish them for not winning their conference when it comes to making a 4 team playoff.

We agree to disagree.

At the end of the day it's what the conference, any conference, can get for having a championship game. Money driven of course, but such a stupid idea. There is no better way to prove that you are a champion than to play a full schedule and win more games than anyone else. In this case it didn't quite bite the Big 12 but could have.

We agree to disagree.

At the end of the day it's what the conference, any conference, can get for having a championship game. Money driven of course, but such a stupid idea. There is no better way to prove that you are a champion than to play a full schedule and win more games than anyone else. In this case it didn't quite bite the Big 12 but could have.

Of course, and normally I would agree with you 100%. The issue with college football is the size of the conferences, and the fact they don't all play the same schedule. If they can figure out a way to get that done, then no need for conference championship games. If they're going to have a conference championship game, the winner of that game should be the ones to represent the conference as that's how we've just determined who is better.

What about this...there are currently 65 Power 5 schools. Get that number to 66 and make 6 conferences with 11 teams each. Each team plays a 10 game schedule against the rest of the conference. At the end of the season, the 6 conference winners make the playoff. If you want to have 2 teams get a bye you're all set. If you'd like to see 8 teams, an at-large component can be added.

Of course, and normally I would agree with you 100%. The issue with college football is the size of the conferences, and the fact they don't all play the same schedule. If they can figure out a way to get that done, then no need for conference championship games. If they're going to have a conference championship game, the winner of that game should be the ones to represent the conference as that's how we've just determined who is better.

What about this...there are currently 65 Power 5 schools. Get that number to 66 and make 6 conferences with 11 teams each. Each team plays a 10 game schedule against the rest of the conference. At the end of the season, the 6 conference winners make the playoff. If you want to have 2 teams get a bye you're all set. If you'd like to see 8 teams, an at-large component can be added.

Fair point(s).

The rest of the schools not in this group of 66 can fill out the other 2 spots if we want the 8 team playoff as opposed to just 6.

A conf championship game when they play a round robin is dumb. Tcu beat every team, it's over, they won the conf.

That would only be true if that is what the rules were to start with.

That is like saying ... but I won every hand before I lost the big hand with all my chips in the middle. It isn't fair!!! I won 5 hands against him and he only won 1.

I suppose, as someone who won a lot as an underdog, and who gambled for a living where the most important factor is rules, I am a stickler for wanting the rules to be followed and a stickler for using strategy to achieve the goal.

The Big12, rightly or wrongly, determines their champion by that championship game. Kstate played by those rules and won the championship.

If Tampa Bay goes on to win the Super Bowl from here, they deserve it whether they had a good regular season or not, whether they are the best team or not, and whether or not the NFL playoff qualifying rules are good or not.

That is how I feel about it.

It's like kstate and tcu are playing monopoly and TCU has all the properties except the railroads and and the yellow ones with $5,000 left over and kstate keeps missing frog properties and TCU keeps landing on kstate properties, you don't change the rules when TCU goes bankrupt because random luck is stupid. Rules matter.

The rules also say the 4 best teams make the playoff. Kansas St is not one of the four best teams.
Well that is subjective which is why I preach for objective rules and why a 12 team playoff is going to suck too because it will have to involve byes, thus making it easier for the power conferences yet again .... they will get more teams and easier paths.

Well that is subjective which is why I preach for objective rules and why a 12 team playoff is going to suck too because it will have to involve byes, thus making it easier for the power conferences yet again .... they will get more teams and easier paths.

We're both arguing for a change of rules, so it's kind of silly to say, "but the rules" to my argument.

We're both arguing for a change of rules, so it's kind of silly to say, "but the rules" to my argument.

I disagree with your argument that states a conference regular season is anything other than a means to get to a conference championship game and win, if a conference championship game exists.

I’m arguing that there isn’t actually a “round robin” in any of these conferences since they don’t all play each other.
In the case of the Big12 TCU did play and beat every other team but obviously that didn't happen in most conferences.

The rules also say the 4 best teams make the playoff. Kansas St is not one of the four best teams.

My problem with this has always been the same, imo you can’t be national champ unless you are indeed champ of your conf/region. My ideal situation is all the power 5 champs should get a spot, best group of 5, and I suppose 2 wild cards to make it 8. I’d be happy with just 6 tho, conf champs and the group of 5 best. Record be damned, if you win your conf it should give you a spot to prove you the best, if you don’t win your conf then you clearly not the best! The conf championship games should themselves be defacto playoff games. No need to start a playoff with teams who been eliminated when we already determined who was the best team in the conference. After all,k-st was on their 3rd qb when tcu came back on them in the reg season meeting, k-st still got themselves to conf championship and won it so they essentially eliminated tcu and should move on.

My problem with this has always been the same, imo you can’t be national champ unless you are indeed champ of your conf/region. My ideal situation is all the power 5 champs should get a spot, best group of 5, and I suppose 2 wild cards to make it 8. I’d be happy with just 6 tho, conf champs and the group of 5 best. Record be damned, if you win your conf it should give you a spot to prove you the best, if you don’t win your conf then you clearly not the best! The conf championship games should themselves be defacto playoff games. No need to start a playoff with teams who been eliminated when we already determined who was the best team in the conference. After all,k-st was on their 3rd qb when tcu came back on them in the reg season meeting, k-st still got themselves to conf championship and won it so they essentially eliminated tcu and should move on.
Agree except I think all conference champs should make the playoff. if that means a reduction in conferences, so be it.

Agree except I think all conference champs should make the playoff. if that means a reduction in conferences, so be it.

Im ok with that. Keeps the regular season meaningful, rewards teams who playing their best at the end, and most importantly a team who isn’t the best in own conf can’t be best in the country!!

Last edited:
Back