Champions League Semis Discussion (Tue/Wed)

both are in ok shape to where theoretically either could go through but both were outclassed and it will take a lot better effort to get their home result and get through

agree with smoke here... object of the sport is to win at any costs. if it means putting 10 in the box and having drogba running around up top hoping for a break then thats what you do.

Maybe that's what you do but it is certainly not what i would do. And most imprortantly, since I will not be coaching any teams soon, as a sports fan, I'd rather watch ten football games of Barca than ten minutes of that thing Chelsea played last night.

But whatever makes one happy, I guess.

arsenals best (only?) shot is a 1-0 win and winning in PKs.. they aren't going to beat Man U by 2 goals. if chelsea can get an early goal they might be solid really being able to put 10 behind the ball but i have a hard time believing barcelona gets shut out again meaning arsenal would need at least 2 goals IMO

Maybe that's what you do but it is certainly not what i would do. And most imprortantly, since I will not be coaching any teams soon, as a sports fan, I'd rather watch ten football games of Barca than ten minutes of that thing Chelsea played last night.

But whatever makes one happy, I guess.

so you'd rather watch your favorite team liverpool lose 5-0 as long as they attack a lot than have them draw 0-0 and have a decent shot at advancing to the champions league final? you aren't a fan of your team if you're worried about how pretty the play is over results.

I would put Liverpool in to the 2nd category with Chelsea before the one with Barca or Man U.

No offence, guaranteed, but how old are you? Did you happen to watch any Liverpool games of the late 70s up to mid 80s? I guess not, so I would seriously recommend you grabbed a DVD. If you like football, that is.

so you'd rather watch your favorite team liverpool lose 5-0 as long as they attack a lot than have them draw 0-0 and have a decent shot at advancing to the champions league final? you aren't a fan of your team if you're worried about how pretty the play is over results.

In the near past, Liverpool did use some 'great game plans' by Benitez (ala Hiddink) to get a result. Was I satisfied by the result? Yeah, as a Liverpool fan of more than 30 yrs, I was. Did I applaud Benitez's tactic? Hell no! I grew up watching Liverpool dominate the game for 90min., make the other team pray for the final whistle. I do not take much pride advancing to the next round after two scoreless games and penalty shoot outs.

No offence, guaranteed, but how old are you? Did you happen to watch any Liverpool games of the late 70s up to mid 80s? I guess not, so I would seriously recommend you grabbed a DVD. If you like football, that is.

Styles change overtime, I assumed you were talking about current styles. No need to get angry

I think we agree?

I was saying that Hiddink put in a system that works, but its similar to what Moruinho had going when he was at Chelsea. Which is defend, defend, defend.

But when they play Portsmouth or Sunderland etc. they don't play the same system they are much more offensive, under Hiddink they have gone with Drogba and Anelka up front together, which I doubt they would ever start a game with against a Man U or a Barca.

But I don't think Chelsea has anywhere near the talent level that Man U does at this point, maybe a few years ago but not now. Man U has too much skill and depth that Chelsea doesn't

Every champion needs a solid defensive base, EVERY manager knows this. From there it's what midfield you have to generate your offense.

Teams always play different tactics, you'd be pretty silly to consistently play the same every game.

If you put Chelsea's starting XI with Man Utd's starting XI, the main advantage Man Utd has is their attack.

Depth? Yes on the attacking front, but not defensively or midfield wise.

arsenals best (only?) shot is a 1-0 win and winning in PKs.. they aren't going to beat Man U by 2 goals. if chelsea can get an early goal they might be solid really being able to put 10 behind the ball but i have a hard time believing barcelona gets shut out again meaning arsenal would need at least 2 goals IMO

What makes you say that?

You'd be surprised how poorly Man Utd plays vs Arsenal in North London

Every champion needs a solid defensive base, EVERY manager knows this. From there it's what midfield you have to generate your offense.

Teams always play different tactics, you'd be pretty silly to consistently play the same every game.

If you put Chelsea's starting XI with Man Utd's starting XI, the main advantage Man Utd has is their attack.

Depth? Yes on the attacking front, but not defensively or midfield wise.

Every manager knows it but it doesn't mean they know how to do it, Scolari and Grant didn't know how to do it.

I would say Man U have much more defensive depth than Chelsea too.
John Terry has regressed over the past few years and Ferdinand and Vidic are probably the two best centre backs in the EPL. I would also take Evra over Cole. Only position where Chelsea has an advantage in my opinion is at Right Back.

Every manager knows it but it doesn't mean they know how to do it, Scolari and Grant didn't know how to do it.

I would say Man U have much more defensive depth than Chelsea too.
John Terry has regressed over the past few years and Ferdinand and Vidic are probably the two best centre backs in the EPL. I would also take Evra over Cole. Only position where Chelsea has an advantage in my opinion is at Right Back.

You give Hiddink one full season, and I only honestly think Chelsea would be the best team in England.

well the pairing of Vidic and Ferdinand is definitely solid, Evra is the best left back in the world, there is no one that can beat him. What bugs me the most is how much praise Edwin van der Saar gets. The guy has a fucking wall infront of him, of course he doesn't need to do shit.

Anyways I really could give a rats ass about Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool. I hope all four of them crumble at one point and than it will be Villa, Everton, Tottenham and Man City vying for the title, with Villa winning it of course, hehe.

You give Hiddink one full season, and I only honestly think Chelsea would be the best team in England.

well the pairing of Vidic and Ferdinand is definitely solid, Evra is the best left back in the world, there is no one that can beat him. What bugs me the most is how much praise Edwin van der Saar gets. The guy has a fucking wall infront of him, of course he doesn't need to do shit.

Anyways I really could give a rats ass about Arsenal, Man Utd, Chelsea or Liverpool. I hope all four of them crumble at one point and than it will be Villa, Everton, Tottenham and Man City vying for the title, with Villa winning it of course, hehe.

I would love that last part to come true, except replace Villa with Spurs:cheers:

What makes you say that?

just my opinion on what I have seen (admittedly little) from both clubs this year and today. just saying if i'm an arsenal fan i certainly don't "feel good" about the position they are in.

What makes you say that?

In the last three seasons the results of Arsenal v United at the Emirates have been 2-1, 2-2 and 2-1.

All three scorelines would've been good enough to put United into the Finals.

Arsenal still have a chance though, but United are in the drivers seat and can progress if they play to their potential.

Back