Champions League Round of 16 + outright bets (with writeups)

Satyr

Paster of Muppets
CL has been quite successful so far this season (45 units of profit :wacka wacka: ) and I see a lot of value opportunities to cash in on at this point, here are my thoughts. Feel free to comment.

Liverpool plays the worst possible game for Barcelona, 10 men behind ball when defending isn't something high flying Catalans like to face, and it's not just any ordinary team either, but a team that has been playing similar style for a couple of seasons now and created a lot of problems for Chelsea in Cup competitions, not to mention won the CL.

Furthermore, Reds' coach is a Spaniard, if he doesn't know Barca no one does. Barcelona are in a small upswing now with the return of Eto'o but they are still vulnerable and far from saying "we'll go through comfortably".

Pinnacle offers 3.45 on Liverpool to go through and frankly I see a solid opportunity of that to happen. Also note that Liverpool have the 2nd game at home, meaning even a 0:1 defeat at Camp Nou keeps them in contention. Also have in mind Liverpool's 25:2 run in the Premiership up until the last game with Newcastle (lost 2:1), and don't put much focus on the losses against Arsenal, as in Carling Cup they played with combined teams and obviously Paletta and Dudek played AWFULLY, Arsenal scoring 6 on 7 shots(!!?). Similar thing happened 3 days earlier, Liverpool dominated the game and still lost. But this is a different type of game. First of it's a 2 leg match, meaning Liverpool will play in front of their fans to qualify, also Barca will be the one to attack, I expect Xabi's pinpoint passes and Gerrard's impulse to create enough opportunities for Kuyt and Crouch to feast off, and wouldn't write them off as some are doing.

The thing is, Barca are the favorite, but are they THIS better? Perhaps last season, but this season they had some really unconvincing games and lost pace several times, and the odds on Liverpool are HUGE in this case, wouldn't say that this is realistic.
Going in with 4 units.

Other picks:
Valencia to advance @ 2.46 (Pinnacle) 3 units
Valencia are playing excellent football again, after a downtrend which came as a result of missing men from the line-up, they're healthy again and beating every team they face in Primera. Inter's streak is even more impressive, but playing in Italy and facing Serie A teams constantly, plus winning so many games in a row might have created a letdown opportunity. It's very hard to fade a team playing this well, but Valencia are simply too good to miss out on these odds. I'll try to back Valencia at Mestalla that's for sure.

Roma (2.69 @ Pinnacle)

Lyon won today after more than month without a win. Houllier did a similar thing back in his Liverpool days when the team played rather well in his first couple of seasons then began the slide. Lyon were eliminated from the French cup, lost to several teams in French league and barely managed a draw against Nice at home.
The win against Lorient is anything but impressive, the guests missed a 100% chance in the opening minutes, only to see Lyon score and hold on the lead until the end.
Roma, on the other hand, will almost surely beat Lyon at Olimpico, it only depends how they'll handle the away fixture. I don't think Lyon has the power nor momentum now to be favored in this clash, I would expect Roma to step up big here and go through.
6 units.

Outright bets:

I know I know, my fellow Reds' fans will hate me for this, but this is just wrong if you ask me.

Manchester United to win Champions league (9.40) 10 units

As much as I dislike the club I have to give them credit, they've been winning hands down in the Premiership this season and it's hard to believe they'll let Chelsea overtake them in the remaining 11 games. Also, the way they've been playing I am convinced they shouldn't be underdogs against ANY team in Europe right now, not even Barcelona.

Barca and Chelsea are set as the highest favorites to take the crown, which I think is out of place. Barcelona won it last season and we all know how hard it is to win it twice in a row, and Chelsea just don't look all that well at the moment, with all the turbulence going on inside the team. Perhaps they can settle interior problems, but frankly I don't see them outplaying neither Barca not Man Utd in near future.
This is most likely Alex Ferguson's last season at the helm so they might wanna step up big and win it for him. Even if it wasn't for that factor the Red Devils are just RED HOT right now and have been like that throughout the season. They had a small downtrend just as the group stage was about to finish, Benfica even took the lead at Old Trafford, but they're just too strong for everyone at the moment, they blew them clean off 3-1, could've been 5-1 without problems. Cristiano Ronaldo, as much as he is a diver, his impact to the game is HUGE right now and with Rooney and Saha up front, and experienced duo Giggs-Scholes this team can go all the way.
HUGE VALUE(note that I stake 10/10 perhaps 15 times throughout the season, but this is just too good to miss out on, and I'm willing to risk it)
10/10

Liverpool to win Champions league (21.92) 2 units

Trust me, this is NOT a fan based bet, nor is my bet for Liverpool to go through. If you don't trust me on that one, simply skip this preview, or the previous one, if you're really curious why I find these odds too high, read on:

Let's just say that Liverpool can beat Barca. I won't repeat myself, but the fact remains they are a monster 10-3-0 25:3 in front of their fans at the fortress of Anfield in the Premiership. They won the CL group and Rafa has shown once again this is his competition, he did wonders with Valencia, who were a thorn in everyone's eye back then, and is doing the same with Liverpool. Liverpool might not have the depth but they have class. Xabi-Gerrard midfield duo, rock solid Carra-Agger defense (btw if you watched Newcastle-Liverpool you would know how Reina was to blame for the first goal, and another defensive mistake created an opportunity for the Toon, but HOW MANY GAMES IN A ROW was that line simply FLAWLESS? Without any errors, just impeccable. Some would say it was due to inferior opposition. I say ok. But let me ask you something.

Let's say Liverpool eliminate Barcelona. And it's not like it's impossible, they are fully capable of outplaying Barcelona in England, provided they keep it close (1 maybe 2 goals margin after 1st leg).

But let's say they go through. What do you think how will the public and the bookies treat them? European champions from 2 years ago beating the BIGGEST TITLE candidates, kicked out of both domestic cup competitions and probably a fight for the 3rd place in the Premiership. If Liverpool go through their momentum will be HUGE and in that case I expect them to go far, perhaps even the finals. That's why odds 21.92 represent value, and I'll stake 2 units.

Valencia @ 23.82 1 unit
They're playing too well at the moment to pass out on this price, plus they're flying under the radar (with Barca and Real being in focus in Primera and several other teams doing the same in CL). A team with Joaquin, Vicente, Baraja, David Villa and Morientes in form can't be underestimated.

RIP OFFS:

Barcelona @ 4.46
Chelsea @ 4.63

You might be keen on thinking that one of these two teams will win the CL this season but I'm telling you right now: YOU'RE GETTING RIPPED! Taking them at these prices. If you really think they can win it all, don't you think it's better to time your bets well and back them up in games instead of throwing your money away like this?
What are they, Roger Federer of football? MANY teams are rather equally matched, and due to Barca's unconvincing periods this season and Chelsea's struggles plus inside-the-club happening that surely make Mourinho's job harder than it would usually be.

Real Madrid (15.30)

You can't tell me Real Madrid (yes, the same Real Madrid who just invited Beckham back after getting rid of him earlier this year)
are rated somewhat similar as Arsenal (13.9), who have already reached the CL finals last season and have far better team atmosphere and are generally more cohesive than the Galacticos, who are still in transition mode, trying to figure out which way the club should be going.

That's a ripoff if you ask me.

Do we really think Lyon (9.30) can win CL this season? I doubt it. Not after that HORRID run they had in Le Championnat, and it's not that much about the run, but their game was really poor. Plus they, same as Real Madrid, don't have much time at their hands, it's not like they can brush their form for a couple of months, CL quarterfinals are very near.
Lyon are overrated here.

AC Milan (15.00)

What on Earth for? Because of Ronaldo? They have had huge problems with even assembling a team lately, a lot of injuries, veteran players need to carry out the weight alongside the talented Kaka, I just don't think it will be enough to win it all, and they are severely overrated here. Again, compare them to a healthy environment such as Arsenal, with a lot of talented youngsters on the team and compare the prices. Crazy, isn't it?

I've made 45 units so far betting on the Champions league this season and I won't be dissapointed if I lose very single bet here, even though I think that won't happen, there are several good prices here, and I believe all these bets have a shot at cashing in, while I'm not that keen on forcing it at this stage with rather small odds.

Last edited:
QUARTERFINALS:

Liverpool to advance (3.45 @ Pinnacle) 4 units
Roma to advance (2.69 @ Pinnacle) 6 units
Valencia to advance (2.46 @ Pinnacle) 3 units

OUTRIGHTS

Manchester United to win Champions league (9.40) 10 units
Liverpool to win Champions league (21.92) 2 units
Valencia to win Champions league (23.82) 1 unit

Good luck everyone.

Excellent recap of 'Pools game at the moment. A very solid play for them to advance IMHO and I am already in on the bet. I also plunked down some $$$ on Pool for CL and ManU for CL.

Let's get it! A Pool/ManU Final? Sounds good to me!:wacka wacka:

hmmm why don't you like Inter Milan? ITs so much harder to predict the CL now just cause its a randamn draw rather than set schedule.

I to believe Man Utd are the team to beat, all gears clicking, only an injury to one of their key players could hurt their chances. But it looks like they are gunning for the Treble again. Good Luck!

thanks Charvik and Mike.

Mike, that's one bet I could add before next week, the odds are definitely worth a few units. :shake:

Barcelona - Liverpool

All my thoughts on this game are available in the "first knockout round" thread, let me be brief here and concentrate mainly on the 1st game.

I'll just take two bets in the first match, and with low stakes (already took Liverpool to advance @ 3.35), and those are Barcelona to win by 1 goal difference and Liverpool to score first.
As much as I've tried to imagine it, I just can't see a blowout here, Barcelona aren't in their best shape with Eto'o doubtful, Messi fresh returned and Rijkaard rumors about his departure at the end of the season, that has to affect the atmosphere, and Barca haven't been as intimidating and impressive as last year.
Liverpool were kicked out from both national cups, and are out of the 2nd place race, by getting through in the Champions League they know they would excel to one of the biggest favorites and Rafa surely knows how to oppose Barca, who aren't as unbeatable as before. Xabi's pinpoint passes and Gerrard's talent should create enough chances, plus we know how Liverpool tend to open games in a fast pace manner, then as time goes by progressively close out. I see a 2:1 game here, with Liverpool taking the lead. Low stakes.
Liverpool to score first (3.35) 1 unit
Barcelona to win by 1 goal (3.80) 2 unit

Celtic - Milan

Celtic are a rather strong team this season, more physical than in previous season when they missed that hustle, couldn't cope with the top teams, this year they've shown they can compete with Man United, first they scored 2 goals at Old Trafford in the 1st half, then played a rather tied match at home, with Shunsuke Nakamura's fantastic free kick deciding the game.
Celtic were a different team a couple of years ago than now, with players like Vennegoor Of Hesselink, Beattie, Zurawski (injured), Lennon and Gravesen, they can compete.
Milan, on the other hand, are feeling the consequences of a poor season which started with the calciopoli point deductions. They still have to work on rejuvenating the team, with Maldini, Cafu and Costacurta on the leave, with Ronaldo cup tied, Inzaghi injured and Gilardino just not good enough, plus the rather erratic form by Kaka, Celtic should dictate the tempo here and even win the match.

Celtic (+1/4) (1.82 @ Pinnacle) 6 units
Celtic to advance (4.00 @ Expekt) 2 units

more coming up...

Porto - Chelsea

Similar story to the one of Barca, Chelsea just aren't as impressive and aren't playing as fast flowing game as last season, with Ballack in the team they had to adjust their tactics, also Sheva was expected to score more than he is, all in all Chelsea shouldn't be as favored in Portugal as they are now.
They surely are the better team but this is an underestimation of Porto's home record and their solid performances this season in CL.
Still thinking about it, but early lean is Porto +0.25.

No other bets so far.

My prediction is that Riise sets up the winning goal for Bellamy at the Nou Camp :smiley_acbe:

GL Satyr :cheers:

There are doubts if that even happened, a lot of different info around the net, some sources say Rafa had to keep them apart, others say that Rafa wasn't in the camp then, etc...

Wouldn't be surprised if it was another bollocks sensationalism.

LOOOL I don't know how I managed to write that without anybody noticing :D.

It's not the quarterfinals, it's the 1/8 finals. Mods, can you fix this? Thanks.

i have no idea whats going to happen with Real Madrid/Bayern Munchen it is such a toss up. Both clubs are in turmoil, having a dreadful season really.

I hope RM gets their ass kicked tomorrow...I cannot stand Capello.

TM, did you think BM is a play tomorrow given that RM is a circus today with all these rumours of Capello quitting/not quitting?

Celtic is a definite play tomorrow. AC Milan on the road at Parkhead? Hmmmm go figure we all know how road teams want to do in the first leg, get at least one draw and try to escape with a draw rather than a mauling.

As far as Bayern Munchen and Real Madrid, important to see the line ups here, Bayern can pretty much scratch the Bundesliga off their list, they've got to do well in this tournament in order for some sort of major cash flow. Playing at the Bernabeau these days isn't as difficult as it use to be.

this is Maldini's 100th CL Match....take it with a grain of salt, if this was played in the San Siro, different situation but at Parkhead....he could have something else to think about.

Fellas, I'm in on Celtic and the draw.

Was wondering, Satyr, why you weren't interested in OVER tomorrow at Barca if you think the game will fall at least 3? You can get plus-money on that side....

Also interested in PSV/Arsenal thoughts....

I'm with Rex, Celtic & Tie, AC wit uinjury probs, they will be playin to keep it close for home leg. Cheers Steve

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=410 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD class=whitebold11txt align=left bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=5 height=10>
trans.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=channel-bg vAlign=top width=11>
left_cornor.gif
</TD><TD class=channel-bg width=50 height=63>
1156844726120celticfc_small.gif
</TD><TD class=channel-bg align=middle width=288><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=288 bgColor=#ffffff border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=channel-bg align=left colSpan=7 height=20>Tuesday February 20, 2007</TD></TR><TR><TD class=blackboldtext11 align=right width=142 bgColor=#ffffff height=20>Celtic</TD><TD width=2 bgColor=#ffffff>
trans.gif
</TD><TD align=middle width=1 bgColor=#000000>
trans.gif
</TD><TD class=blackboldtext11 align=middle width=26 bgColor=#ffffff>vs </TD><TD align=middle width=1 bgColor=#000000>
trans.gif
</TD><TD width=2 bgColor=#ffffff>
trans.gif
</TD><TD class=blackboldtext11 width=142 bgColor=#ffffff>AC Milan</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=channel-bg width=50 height=63>
1125176589958ac-milan.gif
</TD><TD class=channel-bg vAlign=top align=right width=11>
right_cornor.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=blackboldtext10 vAlign=center align=right bgColor=#ffffff colSpan=5 height=20>Preview </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=410 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=channel-bg vAlign=top width=11>
left_cornor.gif
</TD><TD class=channel-bg vAlign=center align=left height=18> Preview </TD><TD class=channel-bg vAlign=center align=right>
top_img.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=chatheader vAlign=center align=right colSpan=3 height=3>
trans.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=plaintext vAlign=top align=left colSpan=3>http://www.espnstar.com/chl/chl_gamedetails_3497962.html#AC Milan landed in Glasgow today ahead of their Champions League clash against Celtic with fitness doubts over Clarence Seedorf and Alberto Gilardino. With fellow strikers Ronaldo cup-tied, Filippo Inzaghi injured and Marco Borriello suspended, Gilardino's availability will be a major concern to coach Carlo Ancelotti.
Ancelotti hopes to discover today whether the Italian World Cup winner, who has a knee problem, and Dutch midfielder Seedorf will be able to play. Losing Gilardino would leave the Rossoneri with just one first-team striker, Ricardo Oliveira, who has yet to score in Europe for Milan.
Skipper Paolo Maldini, who was rested for Saturday's last-gasp 4-3 Serie A victory over Siena, said: ``It will be very difficult to win but of course we hope to do so.'' Seedorf, a Champions League winner with Milan, Real Madrid and Ajax, said: ``It will be a hard game in such a great atmosphere.''
Ancelotti confirmed Australian keeper Zeljko Kalac will be in goal for Milan and line up against former Leicester team-mate Neil Lennon, the Celtic skipper. Kalac said: ``It's a chance to get to the quarter-finals so we are here to win.''
Ancelotti believes the contest will be similar to their Champions League meeting with Manchester United two years ago, which the Italians won 2-0 on aggregate. He told www.acmilan.com before flying to Glasgow: ``Because of how we are coming into this game and because of our opponent's characteristics, this clash reminds me of Manchester-Milan.
``We are hoping for the same kind of game. As for the line-up, today we will verify the conditions of Alberto Gilardino and Clarence Seedorf. ``I can only say that Zeljko Kalac will defend our goal. The choice is down to the fact that Zeljko has more international experience and his height could help for those higher balls.
``Celtic are a good team and they will use the home field to their advantage and do everything they can to play the game at their rhythm.'' Seedorf added: ``I am doing well, but my leg still isn't perfect. ``We are going into the game against Celtic very well prepared. We want to show our desire to win. ``I don't think that one formation or another will make a difference. The first leg is fundamental, we must win and not concede any goals if possible.
``Physically I think we are doing well, we were able to put on the pressure until the end in recent games. This is a sign of our strength and readiness.'' Defender Massimo Oddo said: ``The Champions League is a really important competition. It is the ultimate aspiration for every player. ``We will face a team with a different mindset than ours, they have a fighting spirit and their physical strength is their strongest asset. ``Celtic are a very scary side at home and we have to pay close attention.''

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=410 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=channel-bg align=left width=150 height=18> </TD><TD align=middle width=1 bgColor=#ffffff>
trans.gif
</TD><TD class=whiteplaintext10 align=middle width=108 bgColor=#000000 height=18>Asian Handicap</TD><TD align=middle width=1 bgColor=#ffffff>
trans.gif
</TD><TD class=channel-bg align=right width=150 height=18> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=chatheader vAlign=center align=right colSpan=5 height=3>
trans.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=right width=171 colSpan=2>Celtic </TD><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=middle width=68>0.25 : 0</TD><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=left width=171 colSpan=2> AC Milan</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=410 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=channel-bg align=left width=170 height=18> </TD><TD align=middle width=1 bgColor=#ffffff>
trans.gif
</TD><TD class=whiteplaintext10 align=middle width=68 bgColor=#000000 height=18>Fixed Odds</TD><TD align=middle width=1 bgColor=#ffffff>
trans.gif
</TD><TD class=channel-bg align=right width=170 height=18> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=chatheader vAlign=center align=right colSpan=5 height=3>
trans.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=blackboldtext11 vAlign=top align=right width=171 colSpan=2>Celtic </TD><TD class=blackplaintext11 vAlign=top align=middle width=68>2.79</TD><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=left width=171 colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=blackboldtext11 vAlign=top align=right width=171 colSpan=2>Draw </TD><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=middle width=68>3.16</TD><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=left width=171 colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=blackboldtext11 vAlign=top align=right width=171 colSpan=2>AC Milan </TD><TD class=blackplaintext11 vAlign=top align=middle width=68>2.34</TD><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=left width=171 colSpan=2> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- an error occurred while processing this directive -->
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=410 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=channel-bg align=left width=150 height=18> </TD><TD align=middle width=1 bgColor=#ffffff>
trans.gif
</TD><TD class=whiteplaintext10 align=middle width=108 bgColor=#000000 height=18>Asian Handicap</TD><TD align=middle width=1 bgColor=#ffffff>
trans.gif
</TD><TD class=channel-bg align=right width=150 height=18> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=chatheader vAlign=center align=right colSpan=5 height=3>
trans.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=right width=171 colSpan=2>Celtic </TD><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=middle width=68>0.25 : 0</TD><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=left width=171 colSpan=2> AC Milan</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=410 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=channel-bg align=left width=170 height=18> </TD><TD align=middle width=1 bgColor=#ffffff>
trans.gif
</TD><TD class=whiteplaintext10 align=middle width=68 bgColor=#000000 height=18>Fixed Odds</TD><TD align=middle width=1 bgColor=#ffffff>
trans.gif
</TD><TD class=channel-bg align=right width=170 height=18> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=chatheader vAlign=center align=right colSpan=5 height=3>
trans.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=blackboldtext11 vAlign=top align=right width=171 colSpan=2>Celtic </TD><TD class=blackplaintext11 vAlign=top align=middle width=68>2.79</TD><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=left width=171 colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=blackboldtext11 vAlign=top align=right width=171 colSpan=2>Draw </TD><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=middle width=68>3.16</TD><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=left width=171 colSpan=2> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=blackboldtext11 vAlign=top align=right width=171 colSpan=2>AC Milan </TD><TD class=blackplaintext11 vAlign=top align=middle width=68>2.34</TD><TD class=blackplaintext10 vAlign=top align=left width=171 colSpan=2> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<!-- an error occurred while processing this directive -->

thanks everyone, Rex, Mimir, SjMartin :cheers:

@ Rex, I might take a look at that one, still Barca are missing Eto'o and Edmilson, according to Marca here are the squads for tomorrow:

Barcelona: Valdés; Belletti or Oleguer, Puyol, Edmilson, Zambrotta, Márquez, Xavi, Deco, Messi, Ronaldinho, Gudjohnsen

Liverpool: Reina, Finnan, Carragher, Agger, Riise, Pennant or Arbeloa, Alonso, Gerrard, Zenden, Bellamy, Kuyt or Crouch.

And of course as always, I'm "afraid" of Rafa's notorious tactics of scoring (or not even scoring) and playing 10 men behind ball at all time, plus Barca without Eto'o this one COULD be a low scoring affair after all. I do fancy 2:1 yes, but I would also win in case of 0:1, 1:1(provided Liverpool score first) or 1:0.
With the over I would practically have it all but in case of Barca 2:0 win I lose all bets here, so I will probably stay out of the over.

:shake:

An epic win!!!!

Liverpool were inferior only in the first 20 minutes when Barca played marvelous football, every move went in their favor, they were great. Ronnie made the difference at center, pass to Zambrotta up front, and a pinpoint pass to Deco, great goal.

But after that, Liverpool were more organized, more cohesive, adjusted to the big pitch and created chances, 1:1 just before halftime was the last nail to Barca's coffin, at least when this game is concerned. I knew Liverpool will come out more hungry, better, and with more direct iniative, fantastic 2nd half by Rafa's boys.

Now you see why organization and team spirit (haha Bellamy's pass to Riise Very Happy haha) is the most important thing, you can have all the stars, the best players, but if you don't have organization and determination, perseverance, never say die attitude, you can't get nowhere.

Wouldn't say that Barca were bad, on the contrary, they developed their game all the way until Liverpool started playing better, more closely to the ball when in Barca's possession, and Rafa's tactics ended up superior.

SUPERB game, I will never forget it. Let's get back to Anfield and do the job!

COME ON RED MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Mike!:)

Valencia to advance looks good as well

Great call with Liverpool Satyr!!
Oh yes Valencia to advance looks good (with you on this)
I have seen Roma match and wasn't good at all...I believe 8 yellow cards for Roma, awful game..
Good job!!

P.S. Big Liverpool fan me too...I love this team after one of the best matches I've ever seen, against Milan...3-3...maybe you remember eheh...revenge for a Juventus fan like me...

Congrats, man. Roma couldn't get there for me today, but such is the life when you're pushing for plus-money.

Great call.

Cheers Joe, I wouldn't write off Roma yet, when it comes to progressing to the next stage.

Yeah, I'm not, they're just facing an uphill battle now. The good news is they didn't give up a goal.

I hope they can get through.

of course I remember :D. btw a LFC fan here since 1995/96, a painful era for us then :D.

Big night for Reds´fans! I´ve been following them since 1977, the first time I saw them on tv against M´Gladbach...Just now I realize that was 30 yrs ago! Man, I´m getting old! :nervous:

wow man, surely experienced football fan :cheers:

but nah, you're not old :D.

:shake: looking forward to your posts here Panos.

Champions League action is back guys:

Liverpool - Barcelona

Liverpool aren't as creative as Barca but that doesn't mean the Spaniards will go through "for sure". Rijkaard has shown tactical weaknesses in the 1st leg, a manual should be written after that match: "how not to play against Liverpool".

Liverpool needed some time playing at Nou Camp to adjust to the big field, but after that they closed down Barca's attacks by neutralizing the midfield. When Bellamy leveled it at 1, Rijkaard started to panic and change the formation including even more players up front, which was a big mistake. You have to be patient against Liverpool, or fast counters will destroy you. Liverpool don't dominate the game in and out for 90 minutes but they have periods of the game which they do dominate, if you insist on attacking even during these periods, which Barca did, you might lose, which Barca did as well.

I'm not saying this one is over. FAR FROM THAT. Liverpool are not through yet. I just think playing on a smaller field against a team that plays very well at home would be a very task to overcome, especially since they have to score twice and not allow more than 1 to grant extra time.

Wouldn't say that Barca were bad in the first game, on the contrary, they developed their game all the way until Liverpool started playing better, more closely to the ball when in Barca's possession, and Rafa's tactics ended up superior.

Basically that's the only thing I could see here, when Barca winning is concerned: A 1-2 correct score for Barca which would grant another thriller.

Since I took Liverpool to go through @3.45 I have a good chance of middling it now, since Barca are offered at 3.20 to advance, but I won't do that.
What I really like here is the over. Now how many teams come to Anfield to score two or three goals? Not many. How many teams have Barca's scoring potential? Not many you'd agree.

Liverpool, on the other hand, are very dominant at home this season, and have scored a ton, plus playing against a team that play offensively there should be a LOT of chance to score from counter attacks, meaning I could see Liverpool winning this one. However, I don't see scores like 1:0, 0:0 or 1:1 occurring, if Liverpool win it will be something like 2:1 or even 3:2. Draw like 2:2 is also possible.
I think both teams will score and I don't see them stopping at 1:1, meaning Pinnacle's 2.17 for over 2.5 offers value.

These are my bets so far (before 1st leg)
Liverpool to advance (3.45 @ Pinnacle) 4 units
Liverpool to score first (3.35) 1 unit
Barcelona to win by 1 goal (3.80) 2 units

I'll add a few for the 2nd leg:
Liverpool - Barcelona over 2.5 goals (2.17 @ Pinnacle) 5 units
Liverpool - Barcelona correct score 1-2 (9.00 @ Expekt) 1 unit

i dont' know satyr, you know how luck strikes when you bet against your favorite club.....maybe you are doing that on purpose lol. Good Luck. This match can get very physical.

well I'm not betting against them really, this is more of a "it could happen" bet, since Liverpool haven't played extra time (in a two legged tie) for a long time now, more than 2 decades me thinks.

But my main play here is the over, and my "projected score" (if anything like that even exists in football), is 2:2.

I'll add more plays (other games) shortly. Cheers. :cheers:

Valencia have shown they can cope with Inter in Milano, even though Inter were (and still are) highly rated due to their impressive run in Serie A. I believe I've already written a preview about what I expected in these two games, and so far it went ok (Valencia to advance (2.46 @ Pinnacle) 3 units), I won't back them to progress any further, just a small bet on Valencia to win by 1 goal difference.
Inter are a solid bunch but they will have a very hard time playing in Spain, and could quite possibly be eliminated tonight. Inter are in a good letdown opportunity after a huge run (plus they're missing Cambiasso and Vieira), they had to come off the winning streak sooner or later, and a team like Valencia, which can play both very good defense and has more than enough talent up front, I'm on them here.

Valencia to win by 1 goal difference: (3.65 @ Expekt) 3 units.

Chelsea are still the better team of course, but with the absence of Terry and generally having defensive issues lately, Chelsea should have a tough task tonight, definitely harder than the odds would suggest.
I definitely see Porto scoring here, they have more than enough offensive potential to hurt the Blues, even though it's hard to say whether they can win at Stamford Bridge. Chelsea are the better side, but since the odds are unrealistic if you ask me, especially since Porto gave them a run for the money in Portugal and are still a technically capable side, with the likes of Quaresma, Helder, Lisandro, Adriano...etc, they can go through tonight.
Low stakes.

Porto to advance (6.25 @ Expekt) 2 units
Both teams to score (2.25 @ Expekt) 3 units.

Inter Milan are fucked if both Vieira and Cambiasso are out. Both orchestrate the midfield so i don't know how Inter will fare at the Mestella. This should be interesting match, i think Under is a good bet also.

I am sooo hoping Porto some how scores at least 1 goal. Here. I agree on that Both Teams to Score wager. Drogba and Sheva have been on form of late, but you are right to point out without John Terry, Chelsea's defense is safe to say.....putrid. Now Cech on the other could single handedly control the Chelsea D. Just for the sake of hating on Chelsea and Mourinho, lets hope Porto puts the nail in the coffin.

twchamps_barcelona_379.jpg

4-4-2

:::::::::::::::::::::::::Reina::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Finnan::::Agger(Hyypia):::::Carragher:::::::Arbeloa:::

Gerrard:::::Sissoko:::::::Xabi Alonso::::::::::Riise:::

:::::::::::::Crouch::::::::: Bellamy:::::::::::::::::::::

OR

4-5-1

------------------Reina/Dudek-----------------------
Finnan-------Carra------Agger------Arbeloa----------
---------------------Mascherano--------------------
---------------Sissoko-------Alonso------Riise-------
-----Gerrard-----------------------------------------
----------------------------Bellamy------------------

Subs:
Kuyt
Reina/Dudek
Gonzalez
Hyppia
Zenden
Aurelio
Crouch

Last news say that Reina is starting after all, quite a scare there :D.

COME ON RED MEN!!!!!!

_41190529_kop.jpg

Latest news from LFC.tv:

Rafa Benitez has named the same side that beat Barcelona 2-1 in the Nou Camp a fortnight ago for tonight's Champions League last 16 Second Leg at what's sure to be a rocking Anfield.
That means Alvaro Arbeloa returns to the defence, where he's joined by Jamie Carragher, Daniel Agger and Steve Finnan. Rafa has opted for Dirk Kuyt and Craig Bellamy up front and he'll be hoping they can cause the Barca defence problems again.

Liverpool - Reina, Finnan, Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Riise, Gerrard, Alonso, Sissoko, Kuyt, Bellamy. Subs - Dudek, Hyypia, Crouch, Pennant, Aurelio, Mascherano, Zenden.

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAH guys we did it!!! :)

wohooo

small resume:

We were the better team in the first half, HANDS DOWN. Shots 10-1, chances we created, Barca had the possession but mostly on their end, they couldn't develop their game for nothing.

What a shot by Sissoko, this lad is great, possibly a MOTM again, perhaps next to Carra.

What we missed in the first half (and overall in the game) is a bit much if you asked me. I mean I was on the edge of my seat before (and now) but missing all that, ufff we had to score one. At least.

Look at our chances (for people who didn't watch):

1)Riise's shot sailing near the post
2)Riise's crossbar
3)Sissoko's (brilliant) crossbar (FANTASTIC MOVE)
4)Bellamy shoots: Valdes saves, Kuyt shoots, AGAIN Valdes, I think Riise then, header :::: PUYOL saves the ball on the goal line.
5)Stevie's shot ending like 50 cm from the post
6)Bellamy landing the ball, Kuyt being A CENTIMETER too short.
7)Crouch's miss, a 99% chance.

Especially Kuyt needs to pick up his game, his determination and perseverance are HUGE, the guy is everywhere, no ball is last for him, but he is soooo unlucky when it comes to scoring, how else would one explain all those misses that need less than 20 centimeters to be goals.

In the 2nd half Barca started to play, but it was too late fortunately. Would you believe that as I was drinking coffee in the morning I thought how Gudjohnsen could mess this up for us.

Rafa's tactics were impeccable again, Rijkaard just didn't have any solutions to it (AGAIN!) and a team that showed MORE through two games is going through.

Big, big night! COME ON RED MEN!!!

They made us proud!

didn't watch the match but again Rafa's tactics seem to really prove pricelss. I cannot see this man ever leaving Liverpool, perhaps for National Spain job but i think he's got the right team and i do hope that perhaps we could see a Liverpool vs Man Utd Final. That would be excellent. But Satyr, why do i have this gut feeling we will see Liverpool vs Valencia? This whole draw system just feels a little rigged to me. Too much coincidence the past few years.

Back