CFP: Georgia vs. TCU Discussion Thread

I thought Harbaugh coached a brain dead game….they basically wasted a down every possession by continuing to run up the middle….. not sure TCU will stop the run like they did nor run over UGA like they did Michigan…. If uga gets out in front not sure how tcu stops the bus from rolling… interesting fact I read Harbaugh has not won a bowl game since his first year which would lead me to believe he does not do well prepping his team off a long layoff

I thought Harbaugh coached a brain dead game….they basically wasted a down every possession by continuing to run up the middle….. not sure TCU will stop the run like they did nor run over UGA like they did Michigan…. If uga gets out in front not sure how tcu stops the bus from rolling… interesting fact I read Harbaugh has not won a bowl game since his first year which would lead me to believe he does not do well prepping his team off a long layoff

JH is a big game loser. And now can add being an 8 point favorite twice to his resume with the 49ers in the SB and a superior UM squad to a TCU team that was 25 points worse than Alabama if you look at comment opponent. We gave him a pass for what should have been a 50 point loss to Georgia last year. And yes, just a bowl loser year in and year out. If he wasn’t looking to get rejected by every NFL team in the offseason I’d cut him some slack but he doesn’t even want to be there. His red zone inefficiency at both levels is all-time worst. If they can’t score from a chunk play then you would be better off kicking 3 right away and saving time. What sort of urgency was that down 13 inside the red zone? They took the majority of every play clock. What sort of play calling did he allow against the Ravens in the Super Bowl to never run Kap once?

Here is 9ers TD red zone % the year they went to the SB. Basically the same as offensive wizard Steve Spagnola who went 2-14 with the Rams with 40.7% or 30th of 32 teams.

29 Washington 41.18% 30.00% 0.00% 50.00% 28.57% 51.16%
30 San Francisco 40.68% 55.56% 0.00% 38.46% 45.00% 47.62%
31 LA Rams 38.71% 40.00% 100.00% 53.33% 25.00% 35.71%
32 Kansas City 33.33% 22.22% -- 23.81% 46.67% 59.62%

That same site for me is showing both TDs and FGs where Michigan was actually top 10. Not sure when you take out FGs where they’d lie. But I hate that going into the game I said I think the 3-3-5 will present problems if they can’t run through them and it forced 2 pick 6s, a fumble on the 1 inch, and a goal line stand to begin the game. And I said if they struggle in the red zone it’s the only way it stays close. 28 points. Yikes.

Don't see how TCU stops em quite honestly.

I didn't see how TCU would handle the supposed best offensive line in the nation. Sans the first play of the game, Michigan did nothing on the ground. Surprising to say the least.

Repeat against Georgia? I dunno. But no one saw that coming yesterday. It was supposed to be men against boys. It was - TCU's men against Michigan's boys.

I didn't see how TCU would handle the supposed best offensive line in the nation. Sans the first play of the game, Michigan did nothing on the ground. Surprising to say the least.

Repeat against Georgia? I dunno. But no one saw that coming yesterday. It was supposed to be men against boys. It was - TCU's men against Michigan's boys.

They basically sold out to stop the run and put the game on JJ. Mich still ran okay on them outside the tackles.

Think the short turnaround time this year hurts TCU as well here.

I wonder how much advanced scouting UGA did for TCU? I know they were focused on Ohio St in the last few weeks, but surely they had staffers putting together info on potential opponent in the championship. Just wonder if they really considered that they'd be playing TCU and not Michigan

I wonder how much advanced scouting UGA did for TCU? I know they were focused on Ohio St in the last few weeks, but surely they had staffers putting together info on potential opponent in the championship. Just wonder if they really considered that they'd be playing TCU and not Michigan

Lulz. About a 5% chance to play TCU.

They basically sold out to stop the run and put the game on JJ. Mich still ran okay on them outside the tackles.

Sans the first play of the game Michigan averaged 2.9 yards per carry. Inside, outside, wherever, Michigan established nothing on the ground yesterday.

I think styles make fights. Ohio St's passing game was made to take advantage of the Georgia back 7. I'm not so sure that TCU's offensive line will be able to block the Bulldogs front 4 as effectively as Ohio St. did. Stoud also made huge plays with his feel while still passing the ball downfield. TCU has one very good receiver but altogether their passing game is not on par with Ohio St. Duggan can also make plays with his legs but once he starts running, he is not looking to throw. Also remember that TCU's RB is banged up. I love TCU and their heart and grit, but I think Georgia wins this something in the neighborhood of 34-17. Just a slow, methodical type game where it might be 7-0 after the first quarter and at the end of the game you find yourself thinking how did the Bulldogs win by that much.

Sans the first play of the game Michigan averaged 2.9 yards per carry. Inside, outside, wherever, Michigan established nothing on the ground yesterday.

they were successful with misdirection plays to the outside. Couple of longer easy TDs when they tried it, one to a WR and one by JJ. They tried the middle a lot, since that's their bread and butter, but TCU generally just sent too many guys. Surprised Mich didn't throw more WR screens to counter that.

One thing that really had me yelling profanities at the TV was Harbaugh's time management on the last scoring drive they had. Once McCarthy scrambled out of bounds on that 3rd down, there was 4:38 left. Michigan wasted 35 seconds before they got another play off even though the clock temporarily stopped. They then ran it on 1st down losing a yard & costing them approximately another 35 seconds, even though they hadn't been successful running between the tackles all night. Instead of getting the ball back with 52 seconds left, they could have had about 2 minutes, which may have altered the play calling & given McCarthy a bit more room for error on the final possession. Amazing how many coaches don't understand that every second matters once you get to crunch time during the last few minutes of a game.

It's not like GA is skill position galore either. I guess if you consider Bowers one. It will be decided in the trenches and I gotta say TCU was damn impressive in the trenches against Michigan.

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of this GA team. They've had a horse shoe up their ass in some games this season...and frankly TCU has as well. We will just have to see which horseshoe is bigger.

Two worst defenses I can remember in a CFP final in a LONG time.

Admittedly, I'm not a big fan of this GA team. They've had a horse shoe up their ass in some games this season...and frankly TCU has as well. We will just have to see which horseshoe is bigger.

Two worst defenses I can remember in a CFP final in a LONG time.
That seems a bit harsh. What did Georgia hold Oregon and Tennessee to? Then look at what those teams averaged the rest of the year.

UGA has had only 2 games all year decided by one score, Ohio st and Missouri. UGA dominated the Missouri game except for the score. Georgia vs. Missouri - College Football Team Statistics - October 1, 2022 | ESPN

It's not like GA is skill position galore either. I guess if you consider Bowers one. It will be decided in the trenches and I gotta say TCU was damn impressive in the trenches against Michigan.
That's fair especially if Darnell is out. Hard to dismiss him as he is a first round pick. AD Mitchell is back, and he is a first roudner in a couple years.

The running back group has 2 to 3 guys who will be picked in the first 3 rounds. They averaged 14.0, 7.3 and 8.7 YPC vs. Ohio St. UGA also held Ohio St to 3.7 YPC..

It came out after the game, that numerous guys were sick.

Graham Coffey

@DawgOutWest
·
17h

I’ve been told by sources today that Brock Bowers was sick leading into the game and all of last night. Makes the reach for the sticks on 4th down and the catch in traffic on UGA’s final drive even more impressive. Gutted it out to help get his team over the hump in the end

I can't get over the fact that TCU just recently lost to Kansas St who got steamrolled by Bama. They barely beat Michigan who had 2 pick 6s and a fumble on the 1.

Could be a team of destiny, or a complete fraud. Has to be a bit concerning to give up 34 to SMU, 31 to Kansas and 40 to Okie St. None of those teams have near the athletes or the depth that UGA has.

UGA had a ton of guys banged up in the Ohio St game. The injury report will be huge today (Washington (o), Chambliss (d), Beal (d), McConkey (o).

I have been impressed by the depth at WR for UGA. Arian Smith who has legit olympic speed is probably our 5th best wr. 8 different guys (not rbs) caught balls. For Stetson to throw for 400 yards and our leading wr had -1 receiving talks about the depth.

Kirby should worry about coaching better. His defense was gang raped until another injury bailed him out. Dipshit lateral play from the 3 yard line. Trying 50 yard FGs instead of getting a few yards.

I can't get over the fact that TCU just recently lost to Kansas St who got steamrolled by Bama. They barely beat Michigan who had 2 pick 6s and a fumble on the 1.

Could be a team of destiny, or a complete fraud. Has to be a bit concerning to give up 34 to SMU, 31 to Kansas and 40 to Okie St. None of those teams have near the athletes or the depth that UGA has.

UGA had a ton of guys banged up in the Ohio St game. The injury report will be huge today (Washington (o), Chambliss (d), Beal (d), McConkey (o).

I have been impressed by the depth at WR for UGA. Arian Smith who has legit olympic speed is probably our 5th best wr. 8 different guys (not rbs) caught balls. For Stetson to throw for 400 yards and our leading wr had -1 receiving talks about the depth.

I’m not usually a common opponent guy but I think what we saw with Bama vs K State is sort of what we see here and Bama could have won by 50 if they wanted to.

Yeah they've said no coordinators, has to be someone with HC experience and they probably feel the need to make a splash with so many Elway failures

He’s no longer a Qb whisperer. Never was. Got lucky with Luck and then has had elite defenses at both levels. He can carry that on defense first and run first offense. Not sure how he would handle Wilson but he’s a bigger name and personality than Mr Unlimited…

He’s no longer a Qb whisperer. Never was. Got lucky with Luck and then has had elite defenses at both levels. He can carry that on defense first and run first offense. Not sure how he would handle Wilson but he’s a bigger name and personality than Mr Unlimited…
Whoever gets the gig will likely have a long leash after this year. Not like they're just a couple pieces away especially when KC and LAC aren't going away any time soon.

I’m gonna go with my gut and just take the over as I really think TCU’s only hope is to turn this one into a shootout and I expect more than a few big plays from both sides. Should be a fun one to watch…hopefully

It doesn't happen often obviously, but that's three times in the last year that UGA got punched in the mouth and was unsure how to respond. In the championship game last year, their defense did a really nice job keeping Alabama from getting TDs and settling for FGs until they kind of regained their composure. Basically same thing against Ohio St. They can only learn from that and gain confidence even when someone doesn't back down from them. Or they just wait for a WR or two to get hurt lol

It doesn't happen often obviously, but that's three times in the last year that UGA got punched in the mouth and was unsure how to respond. In the championship game last year, their defense did a really nice job keeping Alabama from getting TDs and settling for FGs until they kind of regained their composure. Basically same thing against Ohio St. They can only learn from that and gain confidence even when someone doesn't back down from them. Or they just wait for a WR or two to get hurt lol
On the last point, very true...

A healthy Marvin and the 2nd place team in the Big Ten East is playing next Monday nights as a DD favorite.

Miller status? He is their best offensive player in my estimation.

I guess were I the Frogs I would take the air out of the ball a little bit, or at least run the play clock down. Their defense played well for a half but by the end of the 3Q that defense was completely gassed and you could tell.

I took my boys to the TCU vs Texas game this year so it is kind of cool for them to see TCU in the championship game. They wanted Michigan to win because TCU beat Texas. They will be cheering for Georgia come kickoff.

When completely outmatched, I am almost always a fan of reducing the number of possessions. That would be my strategy because they got lucky to put up that number on Michigan's defense. Very lucky. I would say that was a 1 in every 50 games kind of number they got on the scoreboard against that team. That won't happen against Georgia and I am sure of that. Don't see why Georgia cannot have the success Michigan had offensively.

My 1 cent (I had 2 cents before Biden).

They have enough coaches / analysts to do both equally - but no doubt both coaches and players expected to play Michigan. Like Michigan - no doubt Georgia players are overconfident here - "how many of their players even start for us!!" - kinda thing

I like that Georgia should have lost the semi. Coaches should have their attention this week. Going for back to back, they shouldn't take tcu lightly.

That seems a bit harsh. What did Georgia hold Oregon and Tennessee to? Then look at what those teams averaged the rest of the year.

UGA has had only 2 games all year decided by one score, Ohio st and Missouri. UGA dominated the Missouri game except for the score. Georgia vs. Missouri - College Football Team Statistics - October 1, 2022 | ESPN

I know, that's why I said SOME. I think football in general was watered down this year..main gripe is there isn't a dominant team this year.

I know, that's why I said SOME. I think football in general was watered down this year..main gripe is there isn't a dominant team this year.
I'd say UGA has been pretty close to dominant this year and last. Now, what I think you're saying, it that there are no teams like 2020 Alabama, 2019 LSU, etc. It's been a watered down last couple of seasons for sure, and UGA in particular is built to succeed in that environment. They rarely make mistakes, they are disciplined, and they have talent, particularly on defense. So I'd argue they have been mostly dominant against the competition, but I don't think they are in the conversation for greatest teams in this particular era of football. But they don't have to beat 2019 LSU, they have to beat 2022 TCU

Back