CFP: Georgia vs. Ohio State Discussion Thread

Yeah I hit the over 61 and wish I went bigger on it in hindsight now. Maybe will do some Georgia tt
I like it bud.

The more I think about this, the more I see a shootout. As many have noted, the UGA defensive line isn't as potent as last year. If Ohio State can keep a clean pocket, the Bucks will score points. On the other hand, Georgia should have success in the air.

38-28 seems reasonable, right?

RB Henderson OUT for playoffs, article soon in paper
Addition by subtraction.

I know you like Miyan more anyways, as most of us do.

Is Henderson transferring? Rumors out there.

Wild to me to think back. Donovan visited and was really into the Bucks, they chose Henderson, as they should have, consensus #1 guy. That spurned him towards UGA and UM and the rest is history. He would have absolutely tore it up in that offense.

The Henderson story isn't finished. We'll see how he is next year completely healthy. This was just a disappointing year after how he looked in his 1st year.

IMO, there are two ways to beat UGA:

1) Match up with them physically on both lines with relatively equal depth. There are only 2 other programs in the country that have a reasonable chance at doing this, and Ohio St is one, but I don't think this version does. UGA has no equal when it comes to that caliber of player and line play on offense and defense. Maybe Michigna is close, but I tend to believe that they have lesser players. Maybe we'll see

2) Have an elite QB that can have consistent success. This is Ohio St's best chance IMO. I don't have any strong opinions on Stroud one way or the other, but the chatter is that he is elite. It's really hard to beat an elite QB having a great game when you can't match it on the other side of the ball. I think UGA has had a great offense this season and have some really good players, but they have also been able to dictate game flow all year. The last two times they didn't were the two games against Alabama last year. In one, it was a blowout. In the other, dropped passes and UGA tightening up led to Alabama FGs instead of TDs and UGA was able to eventually pull away. And Alabama certainly didn't match up on the lines with UGA

Ohio St will need to have a Bryce against UGA, Watson/Trevor against Alabama type game to win. The question is do we believe Stroud can do it? Cause if he can't, I don't see this going very well for the Buckeyes

I sure woulda preferred stroud to have smith-njigba back but heard other day he isn’t playing, had he been in and osu had multiple nfl 1st rounders to throw to (kinda like bama did in the sec champ before Williams got hurt) I’d be more willing to take the plunge. Osu is def the dog I prefer more cause I really don’t think tcu belongs, they earned it I guess but talent wise I have doubts.

I sure woulda preferred stroud to have smith-njigba back but heard other day he isn’t playing, had he been in and osu had multiple nfl 1st rounders to throw to (kinda like bama did in the sec champ before Williams got hurt) I’d be more willing to take the plunge. Osu is def the dog I prefer more cause I really don’t think tcu belongs, they earned it I guess but talent wise I have doubts.
JSN barely played this year. Last significant game was Rose Bowl.

OSU has plenty of studs at WR. They recruit 4-5 top 100 guys each year. They are not lacking in the passing game.

JSN barely played this year. Last significant game was Rose Bowl.

OSU has plenty of studs at WR. They recruit 4-5 top 100 guys each year. They are not lacking in the passing game.

Yea but 2 guys who could be top 10 type picks is pretty special, I know they have other talented wrs, they a wr factory these days. Not sure any of them outside Harrison are as good as Njigbo tho.

Jump in here since it’s been a minute. My mma betting days are done so I only tinker w/ cfb capping so not frequent poster, but a reg lurker.

Going through this thread:

- I can’t stand Stroud. The whole Cali-cool is done. Just leave.

- Day has to show he doesn’t get menstrual cramps when he’s not bowling over toddlers.

- Knowles, the D is def better, but he has to adjust in game. Mich didn’t bully us, they outsmarted us. Clear one side, rb/quick screen beat your guy 1-on-1 and bingo. But whose fault is that? Day’s! He’s HC. But he’s so involved with the O and calling plays he doesn’t venture into the D realm. Knowles has to adjust.

- OL is good. Maybe real good.

- Someone mentioned uga plays a bend but don’t break D. That’s the best thing you can do because Day gets impatient. Tries to score 10 points w/ every TD. Wants to score in 4 plays.

- DL is good. Maybe very good. But the rotation is absurd. No rhyme or reason for guys watching at home drinking. Maybe there’s a good reason. But the results don’t prove so.

- Someone said our LBs our bad. They’re actually good in coverage. I think we’re like 2-3-4 in the country in covering rb and TE passes.

- DBs are bad to awful. Looks like me covering my kids on Saturday backyard football with a beer in my hand.

- I mention I can’t stand stroud?

- teams take on the personality of their coach and qb. Not S&C coach. That was 20 yrs ago. This team plays “Cali-cool.” Plays like they’re tight like Day. Stroud looks like he could give a poop. Day looks like a deer in the road.

- Strouds comments last yr were overblown. But this yr, wearing bama gear, complaining about fans/media, no fire, no being pissed. He’s not “hard” cause his pops is in prison. Please. He’s soft. He will be a Ryan leaf bust when drafted. But a bunch of teams will love his pro day. <eye roll>

- if this team had fields or Haskins or cardale they win it all. If they had meyer, with Stroud even, they win it all. Those qbs and Meyer were killers. Stroud is a 7v7 beauty queen. This team would be different w/ a different personality leading it.

- Opposing teams love mediocre players/coaches, they stomach good players/coaches as long as they don’t become great, they despise greatness, the Meyer Kobi Jordan Tebow types. So far, stroud/day are the middle tier.

- osu can’t let uga go up 14-0, 14-3 and gash our D. Or just push 3 and outs. Not sure this team has the makeup to punch back. The mind starts thinking back to Mich game. Blown out. Here we go again. Have to throw punch for punch. Weather the storm. And then hit some plays.

Final thought:

- can’t see day and stroud winning a back alley fight vs anyone. Day did vs Clemson but had Fields. Stroud isn’t Fields. Fields, as we’re seeing in the nfl, is a different type of player. He’s not a soft qb. I def think uga would rather be facing usc or tcu, and osu could win, but I’d prob take uga -6.5 cause if osu can’t get O success or D stops, the 4th q could get ugly as players quit.

- Not sure why anyone would want to expand the playoffs as the last 2-3 weeks were must see entertainment. All games were play-in games. Enjoy the games fellas.

Miyan Williams is sick. TIFWIW

A LBer xfer turned RB is taking snaps w/ the 1s. (I know he played rb at ASU, but he was a LBer here).

Something is up w/ Dallas Hayden who looked very good when he played and actually bailed us out vs Mary and had 100+ the week before. Weird.

Exactly.

I've been harping on Stroud for good reason this year.

Pressure, rain and wind he's toast.

Cali boy.

Someone going to draft this guy and regret it in 5 years.

He's a good to great passer when sitting in clean pockets.

Toss him on a non top 5 talented team and you would see much less fanfare.
Heard Lions want to trade to 2 for him.

Dawgs by double digits is final prediction. Fully expect Ladd to play, and that AD Mitchell goes off. UGA is starting to get healthy, Carter and McIntosh are back to 100%.

Stroud will need to use his feet, which for whatever reason he doesn't like to do.

Dawgs by double digits is final prediction. Fully expect Ladd to play, and that AD Mitchell goes off. UGA is starting to get healthy, Carter and McIntosh are back to 100%.

Stroud will need to use his feet, which for whatever reason he doesn't like to do.
You going?

I see this being a game that the final score doesn't look super impressive, but one that UGA is never In danger. Something like 34-14 or 38-17. Ohio St's only hope is if UGA makes a bunch of uncharacteristic mistakes.

I see this being a game that the final score doesn't look super impressive, but one that UGA is never In danger. Something like 34-14 or 38-17. Ohio St's only hope is if UGA makes a bunch of uncharacteristic mistakes.

Bingo. Similar to the Tenneesee and LSU games.

Big shift in bets/money. Some books down to -5.5.

I’d def not take osu +5.5 but i see a path to win. But I dont trust Stroud at all (or day for that matter in a fist fight).

All the pundits/articles picking uga say osu can be pushed around, look at Mich. Mich didn’t push us around, they outsmarted osu. So I don’t see uga pushing this team around. Maybe 4th q when game is already 27-10? Possibly. But I like the line going down and pundits saying you can push osu around.

Enjoy the games!

Regardless of what happens in the second half, safe to admit i was wrong. We can't cover anyone, which i knew. I thought we abandoned the run a couple times and got cute. Hopefully in the 2h we just pound it.

that’s the 1st time Stroud has done that. Yeah, he’s passed for more yds before, but last night was different as I’m sure y’all know. He was a different player.

If he’s that in the nfl, then whoever drafts him is getting something special. Question is, was that him game-in-game-out?

- can’t see day and stroud winning a back alley fight vs anyone. Day did vs Clemson but had Fields. Stroud isn’t Fields. Fields, as we’re seeing in the nfl, is a different type of player. He’s not a soft qb.
The thing is, the same things that had been said CJ were being said about Fields prior to the rematch with Clemson in 2020. Soft, can't win a big game, will be terrible in the NFL, etc. etc.

It's clear that Day doesn't like to run his qb's and coaches them to keep their jersey's clean. It's just what it is. It's absurd that it took 2 years for CJ to run the ball. But that's on Day. Not CJ. Fields wasn't featured heavily as a runner either. And we now see what he's capable of in that regard in the NFL.

There is also the issue that with the current state of the Big 10 you're getting maybe one or two legit matchups per season for osu. Not many opportunities to show your mettle like back in the day when you had to battle solid teams on a weekly basis. So games such as mich take on other worldly importance and fans want a scapegoat when things dont go the way they'd hoped for. CJ wasn't the reason osu lost mich. Compare the game plan and effort last night to what was put on the field vs mich. Was two entirely different teams.

The national and local dog piling on both Fields and Stroud was over the top and a bit gross to be honest. Not as if OSU has had such a strong lineage of talented qb play where top 10 NFL draft picks should be run out of town.

If I'm a parent of a 5 star qb I'm sending him to win a Heisman at USC under Riley where nobody really cares all that much instead of dealing with the relentless lunacy that comes with playing qb at osu.

Last edited:
The thing is, the same things that had been said CJ were being said about Fields prior to the rematch with Clemson in 2020. Soft, can't win a big game, will be terrible in the NFL, etc. etc.

It's clear that Day doesn't like to run his qb's and coaches them to keep their jersey's clean. It's just what it is. It's absurd that it took 2 years for CJ to run the ball. But that's on Day. Not CJ. Fields wasn't featured heavily as a runner either. And we now see what he's capable in that regard in the NFL.

There is also the issue that with the current state of the Big 10 you're getting maybe one or two legit matchups per season for osu. Not many opportunities to show your mettle like back in the day when you had to battle solid teams on a weekly basis. So games such as mich take on other worldly importance and fans want a scapegoat when things dont go the way they'd hoped for. CJ wasn't the reason osu lost mich. Compare the game plan and effort last night to what was put on the field vs mich. Was two entirely different teams.

The national and local dog piling on both Fields and Stroud was over the top and a bit gross to be honest. Not as if OSU has had such a strong lineage of talented qb play where top 10 NFL draft picks should be run out of town.

If I'm a parent with a 5 star qb son I'm sending him to win a Heisman at USC under Riley where nobody really cares all that much instead of dealing with the relentless lunacy that comes with playing qb at osu.
I’m asking seriously, you think Fields is comparable to Stroud?

It's clear that Day doesn't like to run his qb's and coaches them to keep their jersey's clean. It's just what it is. It's absurd that it took 2 years for CJ to run the ball. But that's on Day. Not CJ. Fields wasn't featured heavily as a runner either. And we now see what he's capable of in that regard in the NFL.

If I'm a parent of a 5 star qb I'm sending him to win a Heisman at USC under Riley where nobody really cares all that much instead of dealing with the relentless lunacy that comes with playing qb at osu.
Hang on here. This isn’t remotely correct in multiple facets.

OSU fans were not dog piling on Fields at all, not any worse than any other player for OSU or Clemson or Bama. I think Mich fans is the only fan base that goes down with each ship. Lol. (Other than maybe Nick Sheridan!)

Hey, Stroud and all the others are getting paid. They are adults. Don’t give me little Johnny doesn’t like pressure. Stroud, as I stated, brought a lot of this on himself. Culture? Possibly. Cali is different than Midwest. But he didn’t do himself any favors to endear himself to the state.

As far as running, you are way wrong.

Fields:
2019 - 123 attempts
2020 - 67 attempts (Covid yr but per game ave about the same)

Stroud:
2021 - 32 attempts
2022 - 47 attempts (12 rushes in final game)

Imo you missed on Day’s play calling too. Yes, Day would rather have his qb pass, but over the last two years Stroud has thrown balls when he had an easy 1st down scramble. Many times.

You may have a point about USC vs OSU lunacy. But if I were a parent of a 5* player, I wouldnt send my kid to downtown LA where the campus is in middle of the ghetto. Each their own.

OSU fans were not dog piling on Fields at all
Yes, Fields - mostly national.

Stroud - local and national.

Hey, Stroud and all the others are getting paid. They are adults. Don’t give me little Johnny doesn’t like pressure. Stroud, as I stated, brought a lot of this on himself.
I'm not sure what you think Stroud 'brought on himself'. That's lunatic fan commentary. And there's a difference between pressure and vitriol . Pressure is a given when you sign up to play QB at a major college program. And unfortunately, enduring lunatic fan behavior also comes with the territory but that doesn't it any less embarrassing or worthy of mockery when it happens. OSU fans took this one to an extra embarrassing level.

As far as the players being adults. I don't care whether they're 20 year old kids or professional athletes or if they're making $20 mil or $0. If someone is anonymously sending vitriol either privately or publicly to an athlete then they relinquish their right to offer commentary on how to be an adult. As well as offering any commentary on someone else being soft.

But he didn’t do himself any favors to endear himself to the state.

LOL

As far as running, you are way wrong.
Fields:
2019 - 123 attempts
2020 - 67 attempts (Covid yr but per game ave about the same)

Stroud:
2021 - 32 attempts
2022 - 47 attempts (12 rushes in final game)
I wrote: "Fields wasn't featured heavily as a runner either."

That statement was not a direct comparison of the number of carries from the 2 quarterbacks but rather pointing out that Fields as a generational talent running the football was underutilized in the offense.

Stroud as a 'good' runner was criminally underutilized in the offense.

Haskins (with Day as OC) was underutilized as a runner and also had everyone screaming to tuck it and run up until he finally did it in the Maryland game. It was such an issue that OSU actually had to bring in tate martell(!) to pose as a run threat in goal line situations vs mich.

This is what you would call a trend under Day and not something specific to the CJ Stroud era.

Imo you missed on Day’s play calling too. Yes, Day would rather have his qb pass, but over the last two years Stroud has thrown balls when he had an easy 1st down scramble. Many times.
We will never know the answer to this but I'm trying to exercise logic here. As you noted, for 2 full seasons Stroud insisted on passing rather than taking easy yardage with his legs. So during film review, do you think that Day didn't seee the same open running lanes that everyone else in the world saw? Or that he did see them and told CJ to run and CJ straight up refused? For 2 full seasons? Sorry not buying that. Either way this falls on Day. Either he told CJ not to run or permitted CJ to ignore his directives to the detriment of the team. OSU's qb room has been stacked for several years now and Day has had the pick of the litter when it comes to qb recruiting. If QB1 was uncoachable and sabotaging the offense it wouldn't have been hard to make a switch and it would be malpractice to not do so.

I think the truth lies in that osu couldn't survive an injury to Stroud and Day game planned accordingly. How many legit passing reps did Mccord take in the past 2 seasons? He'd come in late in the game in blowouts and do nothing but hand the ball off. Enormous waste of an opportunity IMO. Mccord would've been completely unprepared for meaningful action. It was stroud or bust. It's not often talked about but in 2019 Fields took a carry late in the game against PSU to burn some clock and injured his knee and was hampered the rest of the way. I think that changed Day's approach to running the qb.

You may have a point about USC vs OSU lunacy. But if I were a parent of a 5* player, I wouldnt send my kid to downtown LA where the campus is in middle of the ghetto. Each their own.
Comparing CRIME statistics isn't the point of this post.

At the end of the day this is a gambling forum and (I think) everyone's goal is winning bets. If you wagered your rent money cause 'stroud is a pussy from cali' then you made a major handicapping error and lost. In the same way that many made the same handicapping error betting their life savings against Fields/OSU in the Clemson rematch. Again, check the thread here we had prior to the the 2020 Clemson rematch. It reads exactly the same as this one and that's why I found it interesting that we were retroactively making Fields out to be a god when public opinion at the time was on the level of Stroud. Anyway, if someone got burned twice on these games then it may be time to reassess their handicapping strategy and rely less on emotion.

Back