CFL 2023 News and Notes

Also renouncing my Saskatchewan fandom. I’m officially an Edmonton Elks fan now.

The Packers vibe from Saskatchewan doesn’t feel right.

LETS GO ELKS!!!!!
I was wondering what you thought of them dumping Fajardo for Harris. Figured you would be converting to the Alouettes.

Can't wait to see if Canada's sin city can corrupt our innocent hero.

Now that free agent frenzy is over, lets see who we have for starting QBs across the league...

BC...With Rourke signing with the Jaguars they are left with Vernon Adams Jr. He is exciting at times but makes a few too many mistakes to be considered a top-tier starter.

Calgary...Rolling with Jake Maier. He looks steady and even good at times and he was definitely a step up from a tired BLM last year but I'm not sure hitching their wagon to Maier will take the Stamps where they want to be.

Edmonton...Taylor Cornelius? He took a step forward in year 2 but he'll need to take another major one if the Elks are going to improve. They also have Tre Ford who didn't impress in his first start LY but showed enough to maybe get another when things falter.

Sask...Head case Trevor Harris will be their savior. Or will he? He's solid and could lead a good team to a championship but I'm not so sure there are enough pieces around him to to it. And that OL, yuck!

Winnipeg...Collaros backed up by Drew Brown behind the leagues best line. Model of consistency. Pricks!

Hamilton...In win now mode with the Grey cup in town again this year, they rolled the dice on Bo Levi Mitchell. Once the best QB in the CFL, he hasn't had a decent season in the last 3, mostly due to multiple shoulder injuries. Can he have a successful second act in the hammer? We'll see. Matt Shiltz is waiting in the wings and at times LY looked like he could be a starter in waiting.

Toronto...Last years Grey cup hero Chad Kelly is back and although he shows some promise, is likely still too raw to be a starter. The Argos must know that and made a play for Fajardo. MBT has still not re-signed and is rumored to be mulling retirement. Lots of question marks here.

Ottawa...Can Masoli come back from his injury to lead this team to a winning season? My bet is yes because he's done it before and he's a tough son of a bitch. I like where this team is headed this season

Montreal...Franchise is a mess. The league has taken over ownership from the estate of the late owner. Cody Fajardo rolls into town which may lead to something special but I don't hold out a lot of hope for this team in 2023. Over/under on Jason Mass' broken headsets this year? 4.5

one real mystery is what happened to Dane Evans? After the cats signed Bo he posted a pic online of a moving van in front of his home but since then, no news. I thought for sure he would be snapped up by some team or even restructure with Hamilton but he may be gone for good. XFL or USFL maybe?

I was wondering what you thought of them dumping Fajardo for Harris. Figured you would be converting to the Alouettes.

Can't wait to see if Canada's sin city can corrupt our innocent hero.
I thought Alouettes at first too is who her stick too, but they forced his buddy Gary stern out

So I think Als are least favorite

Al's v Elks will be a war this season

MacBeth signs in the USFL. Taking ~70% pay cut to be closer to his wife. Is Chad Kelly ready? Do the Argos try to find another starter? Dane Evans maybe?

If I had to take a grey cup future right now, I'd take Ottawa +1000 With Masoli returning, a decent surrounding cast and a head coach that players seem to want to play for, I think they could win a wide open east. All depends on Hamilton's experiment with BLM.

Dane Evans goes to the Lions for a 4th round draft pick. BC gets an absolute steal there IMO.

I think he got a raw deal. So he struggled in his first year as the full time starter. I still think he has a lot of talent and could've grown into the position. The cats jettisoned him for a guy with a year or two left. Madness

@Teapot9 Since your loyalties are up for grabs, I'd like to respectfully ask you to convert to being a Hamilton Tiger-Cat fan. Reasons...

• You already have a shirt. I'll even send you a jersey if that will help (#9 Dane Evans)
  • Hamilton is a hard scrabble, working man's town, worthy of your support
  • Its the oldest professional football team still in operation (the Argos try to twist reality to claim they are but its bullshit)
  • What the hell is a Tiger-Cat anyway? In 1950 the Hamilton Tigers absorbed the upstart Hamilton Flying Wildcats to form the Tiger-Cats. You are getting 2 teams for the price of one!
  • Best colours, uni and logo in the entire league
If all this doesn't convince you, wait til the fentanyl wears off and read it again.

Looks like the league averted another catastrophe by finding Pierre Karl Peladeau to buy the Als.

I wonder what Bell/CTV/TSN think about the leagues new richest owner being one of their chief competitors. Could be interesting in a few years when the tv rights are up for renewal

I need to adopt a team.

Obviously had Ham few years back when we put the future on them.

I need to adopt a team.

Obviously had Ham few years back when we put the future on them.

Vancouver - Hippies plus 'teed
Calgary - Steers & Queers
Edmonton - Shithole with a mall
Saskatchewan - hope you like wheat
Winnipeg - Mosquito capital of Canada
Hamilton - Honest and hard working town full of decent, good-looking, intelligent people
Toronto - No
Ottawa - Buncha politicians
Montreal - better learn French

Vancouver - Hippies plus 'teed
Calgary - Steers & Queers
Edmonton - Shithole with a mall
Saskatchewan - hope you like wheat
Winnipeg - Mosquito capital of Canada
Hamilton - Honest and hard working town full of decent, good-looking, intelligent people
Toronto - No
Ottawa - Buncha politicians
Montreal - better learn French
Tough call.

Put out a tweet and use all Edmonton/Elks hashtags and see the response you get. It’s wild.
Only because in Edmonton, there's literally nothing else going on.

Hamiltonians are too busy fixing cars and enjoying the city's many waterfalls to be on social media.

Rod Pedersen reporting (so take with a grain of salt) that a group including Tom Brady and another NFL player expressed interest in buying the Alouettes.

Interesting tidbit and it would explain why both Brady and Gronk made CFL related comments/jokes separately over the past few months.

Interesting news.

It seems to be worth more money to the league than the ESPN deal but if they only televise 34 games, what about the rest? Pretty hard to keep US fans engaged if they can't watch any game they want. Maybe they will allow ESPN+ to air the rest? I dunno.

CFL draft goes tonight. This is where the dirty work of turning a profit on the season begins.

Fresno State OT Dontae Bull is the likely 1st pick. Projects to be a ratio-breaking tackle with a year or two of seasoning

Not impressed with Hamilton's pick. They shouldve taken a play-now guy like Beimy but instead they take a project OT. The cats never draft well

Just heard that MBT is tearing up the USFL. New Orleans is 3-0 behind him, leading the league in points and he leads the league in passing yardage.

Don't tell me the CFL isn't a huge step above the USFL and the godawful XFL. I think in 10 years the USFL could rise to on par with the CFL but not right now. Not by a long stretch.

Edmonton dumps kicker Sergio Castillo which is odd given that they don't have another proven kicker on the roster. Not to mention, with the dearth of kickers out there, could they not have traded and at least got a draft pick for him?

Winnipeg signed Castillo immediately to address their most glaring weakness over the past couple of years.

Calgary losing Jalen Philpot for some time to hamstring surgery.

Really starting to think this is a legit down year for the stamps. But I've thought that before and been wrong.

RIP Joe Kapp

One of the few players to be traded directly between CFL and NFL when the BC Lions traded him to Minnesota.

Mini camps started today. Main camps start on Sunday.

That weird outlier early preseason game is a week from this Monday

Rosters were cut down to 85 last night. Some notable moves...

Bralon Adisson was released by Hamilton and quickly picked up by Ottawa but then added to the 6gm

Ottawa cuts Davon Coleman. I'm sure another team will pick him up for depth along the DL. Hamilton could use him if he's willing to re-neg his contract

Mike O'Shea cuts Mike O'Shea. The bombers HC is dedicated to his craft. Didn't even let his own son stick through training camp. LOL

Argos losing DL Shane Ray back to the NFL as he signs with the Bills

Ottawa fans out of their minds with excitement over having the 1st overall pick

View attachment 73299

Every time I see this pic it cracks me up. Just in the front row you have...
  • Gramps nodding off after a couple of brews
  • Tammy the virgin thinking "this could be the night!"
  • Grandma's not sure where she is
  • And there's crazy uncle Eddy with his one good eye trained on Tammy while thinking "this could be the night!"
Note to the redblacks...I know this isn't the NFL but maybe next year don't hold your draft party in a retirement home cafeteria

Something doesn't look right here...

1684203489104.png

This is largely a competition of who can stay healthy. Trevor Harris at +2000 looks like a mistake. They even have his projected backup, Mason Fine, ahead of him. Makes no sense. Sask people have been talking about running a more run-heavy offense this year but that only goes so far in the 3 down game and Harris generally stays healthy. His numbers were down last year but he didn't become full-time starter until like week 4 or 5. He may not win it but the value here is huge.

Back