CFB Week 7

Yanks27Sox9

CTG Partner
Had a fairly decent, yet semi-frustrating, week six...going 6-3-1, 3.6 units to the good. Obviously, I felt it could've been a bit better...like with Stanford...but at the same time, it could've also been worse. So all in all, it's a plus week...and already moving on to the new week (slate of games) ahead. Anyhow, as always, will update this 1st post as I make plays during the week.

Thursday 10/10
Rutgers/Louisville over 54 for 3/4
Arizona (+6) for 3/4

Saturday 10/12
Stanford(pk) to ASU(-16) to UCLA(-16) for 1 to win 1
Colorado/Arizona St over 66 for 3/4
Oregon St/Washington St over 62 for 3/4
Washington (+14) for 1

Michigan St(-3.5) to Virginia Tech(-3) for 1 to win 1
BYU (-6.5) @ -120 for 1

Missouri TT over 29 for 3/4
Stanford (-7) @ -120 for 3/4

Week #1: 11-5, +5.835
Week #2: 5-1, +4.450
Week #3: 9-5, +2.675
Week #4: 7-7, -0.075
Week #5: 6-6, +0.650
Week #6: 6-3-1, +3.600
YTD: 44-27-1, +17.135

Good luck this weekend!!! :cheers:

Last edited:
(just a post from last week's thread)

btw...Week #7 in the Pac-12 is sexy as hell. :goal:

Oregon @ Washington
Stanford @ Utah
Oregon St @ Washington St
Cal @ UCLA
Arizona @ USC
Colorado @ Arizona St

will give thoughts later, prolly after i make plays. but gotdamned, it's gonna be an exciting October/November out west.

btw, found it interesting that the trojans avoid both oregon and washington this year. not happy about that, cuz there goes two potential big plays/wins from my season. :)

recapping week six plays...

UCLA (-3.5) for 1
win. had to sweat out a game that was much closer than i anticipated. utah played over their heads, while ucla played down to the competition to an extent.
Nevada/SDST over 57 for 3/4
win. went exactly as planned, and then some. first time i've had a total this year that RAS moved after the fact. better early than late, i guess...but didn't matter.
Stanford (-6.5) for 1
loss. disappointing, as this was my favorite play of the week. washington was extremely impressive. but what was interesting was that UW played like the team looking for revenge, not stanford. the cardinal played safe, like they were trying not to lose. anyhow, didn't like what i saw outta the home team tonight. lucky they escaped.
Virginia Tech (-7) @ -120 for 1
win. little closer than expected though...really saw a much larger MOV here.
Wash St/Cal under 66 for 3/4
tie. lucky too. would've went under, but bears have been dropping like flies from that defense. they're at their 3rd deep in some critical secondary positions, so had no chance of containing/limiting the cougar passing game...as the injury bug kept hitting them.
Louisville(-22.5) to Georgia(+1) to Oklahoma(+1) to OkSt(-2.5) for 1 to win 1.05
win. barely, and lucky. ville by a half point, and jorga got so fucking lucky. was a bad spot for them, but even the tease barely made it work. was kicking myself for passing up much easier teams/spots for this damned teaser, lol.
Oregon 1H (-24) for 1
win. much closer than expected here too, thanks to one 75 yd play on 4th down. take that play away, and it would've been easy, as expected. instead, had to sweat it out. didn't see the Buffs moving the ball that well in the first half either on the FG drives.
Buffalo(-4) to Florida(-3.5) to ECU(+1.5) for 1 to win 1
win. my PR #s were good enough, and one was never really in doubt.
Iowa (-1) for 1/2
loss. tailed for a small play, so that's what i get. minus a spurt in the 2nd quarter, iowa just was painful to watch. the right team won the game here, no doubt.
ASU TT over 34.5 for 1/2
loss. came up a half point short, but this wasn't a good play. glad it was a small one though. but after fucking with this game for so long, looking at it from too many angles, the best play i could've made was simply to leave it alone.
i know i said that i liked the over from the beginning...and that the release was too high a #...but even in hindsight, the over wasn't the right play. took a pick six, and a garbage TD late, etc to get there. so it should've just been left alone.
tricky game. notre dame played their best game of the year, and arizona st played just like they had come off wisconsin, stanford, and usc. fwiw, don't make any judgements of taylor kelly based upon this one (less than stellar) game. would be a mistake.

alright...that's enough for tonight. gotta keep working on my #s and so forth. but i'll definitely be ready for the lines in the morning, if i see any early value. i'll have to wait a bit for the totals though.

anyways, see you all manana as the lines come out. :shake:

well, you know what they say about the best laid plans... :sleepy:

had everything ready to go just after 3am last nite, but overslept this morning. by the time i got up, had to rush off to the kid's little league game...then the day took off on me.
as a result, i didn't get to the lines until after 11pm tonight...so no chance to take advantage of anything early...and no point of rushing anything now.

but in the end, that's ok. i'm hopeful many of the lines i'm looking at will move in my favor. some won't, of course, but this is a week where many should.

Oregon @ Washington
Stanford @ Utah
Cal @ UCLA
Arizona @ USC
Colorado @ Arizona St

but since i'm late to the party, i'll still give my Pac-12 leans in case anyone's interested.

Arizona...see a 6, but wouldn't mind a 7 lol. should be a tight, low scoring game. Zona can only run, and USC can defend that...at least when there's not the threat of a QB who can throw. But that shit works both ways.

Washington...like the 14, but want more. yes, i know, it's crazy to go against the ducks. but stanford didn't beat up UW like i thought...and there are some other factors pushing me in this direction that i'll mention later.

Stanford &/or the under...line's climbing, dammit, but i'm not going to chase it. we'll see what happens. but hogan will have to get his shit back together, and pass effectively.

Colorado/ASU over...great spot for kelly & the sun devils to bounce back, but the line's high...right where my #s put it. Buffs moved the ball better than expected vs the ducks.

UCLA &/or the over...same story with the line...high, but where my PR #s put the thing. but see my comments in the recap regarding cal. it's ridiculous how many have fallen from that defense/secondary. receivers will surely be practicing at corner this week. so ucla will score a shitload, but goff will have some success too.

Wash St &/or the over...beavs own this series, but this is a new cougar team. beavs can't defend the pass. and wazzou needs this one. much improved, but with some tough games on the schedule, every winnable game counts (is important) in terms of building a bowl eligible team...which is a priority. step by step, leach is changing things @ wazzou.

Cal put it on our face last season so I'm thinking even tho furd is on deck the team has revenge on their minds

Pac-12 leans...

Arizona +6...waiting on a higher #
UCLA -24.5...hoping for a slightly lower #
Wash St -1...waiting on a better #
Arizona St -25...hoping for a slightly lower #

honestly, doubt either UCLA or ASU improves. but fully expect Arizona and Wash St to do so. there's always late USC money. and by PR #s, the beavs should be the small favorite.

Out of conference leans...

Texas +14...seems like too much, despite everything.
VaTech -9
BYU -7
Kansas St +17.5...same deal as the above.

not sure if i'll touch either texas or kansas st...but my #s put oklahoma as a 7 pt favorite, and baylor as an 11 pt favorite.

now my first group of plays...

Yanks, with you on Zona. Different opinions on ASU/Colorado and OSU/Wazzou. I never like going against you and your Pac 12 thoughts. With you also on BYU.

On to a subject I know well, I wouldn't touch Texas with a 10 foot pole. My numbers say Texas too (barely), but I'd imagine that your numbers also account for Ash for part of the year. The Stoops brothers OWN Mack Brown, and that is with Chris Simms, Vince Young, and COLT McCoy at the biggest position. With CASE McCoy out there, and all of his serious limitations, as well as our completely inability to stop the run and tackle anything that moves, I am on OU big. Keep in mind that the Stoops boys also usually have something up their sleeve for us, whereas Mack plays this game with his anus shut tight.

I could go on further, but Texas is a definite no-play (unless you REALLY like to gamble), and I would have played this one up to OU -21 (and could be convinced that the number could even be higher).

my first set of plays for the weekend...

Stanford(pk) to ASU(-16) to UCLA(-16) for 1 to win 1
Colorado/Arizona St over 66 for 3/4
Oregon St/Washington St over 62 for 3/4
Washington (+14) for 1

Let's start with the teaser. My PR #s made Stanford an 11 pt rd fav, they made ASU a 27 pt hm fav, and they made UCLA a 26.5 pt hm fav. All the lines are too close to my PR #s to play straight, so i teased the three games. (That said, as my leans state, i still might play ASU &/or UCLA because i like those sides so much. Stanford, not so much, simply because it's a sandwich spot for them on the road.)
That said, even on the road, there's no way the Utes are the team that gives Stanford their first loss...so moving this to a pick em definitely works for me. ASU owns Colorado, who hasn't fared well on the road. See that Oregon St game two weeks ago, then add a little bit to the number because ASU's simply a better team than the Beavs...and cuz ASU's gonna shake off some of that ND loss @ the Buffs expense. So getting this down under 17 pts is golden, imo. Then there's UCLA. Same thing...wanted to get it below 17 pts here, with a huge game against Stanford on deck...and because Goff and the Bears offense is pretty damn good, considering. So even though the look-ahead is a factor, I think the Bruins are focused here...and will tune-up big time for the Cardinal. Cal ran it up on UCLA last year, surprisingly, but this has always been a home team series. Most importantly though, Cal's defense is an absolute mess due to injuries. The stuff they're going thru is absolutely crazy. As a result, UCLA will be scoring at will.

As for the Colorado/ASU over, i think i kinda just explained some of my reasoning in regards to the total when discussing the teaser above. ASU will score in the low 50s, and the Buffs will contribute mid to high 20s to the total as well...so this should sail into the 70s, and possibly beyond. (See how the Buffs moved the ball 1st half vs Oregon, before settling on field goals. They had some nice runs/pick ups there.)

Full disclosure, I got a better number on this Oregon St/Wash St total. Jumped it at 60.5, which didn't last long. Took me a while to log on, doing other things today, so i'm using the current 62. Bottom line, it won't even matter. Both these teams are going to put up points. The Beavs pass offense has been excellent...and for the most part, their defense hasn't. Leach will take advantage. Will get into this game more when i play the side...as wazzou needs THIS game to be on track for a bowl...but take the Beavs offense against Colorado 2 weeks ago, and the Cougars offense against Cal last week...and imo, that's what we've got here. Both teams in the low 40s wouldn't surprise me one bit...though I think the improved Wash St defense will keep Oregon St in the mid 30s, tbh.

Lastly, i'm going against the mighty Ducks, and taking Washington. Wanted more cushion, but was worried the line might drop to 13...and didn't want to lose the 2 TDs. Fwiw, my PR #s made Oregon only a 7 pt rd favorite...so there is value, imo.
History says Oregon will roll. Anyone who's watched Oregon play week to week has gotta believe Oregon will roll all the way to the BCS championship game, if they get by Stanford. But don't sleep on a UW team that simply keeps improving under Sark. Even though Stanford was my favorite play last week, in all honestly, they were outplayed and out-hustled by the Huskies. No, the Huskies can't match scores with the Ducks by any means. The offense is solid, but no one's claiming they're explosive enough for that. Instead, they'll methodically put up enough points to keep themselves in the game.
And that will be the case here thanks to the defense. The same defense that had Stanford's offense all fucked up last week. Do not forget about Wilcox, the D coordinator, and the success he had at Boise St...including a couple big games/efforts against Oregon. Yes, it's a different Oregon team...but many of the same principles/etc remain.
Anyhow, will try to get more into this game/matchup later. But for the first time in forever, I think Washington gives Oregon a scare...kinda like how UCLA gave Stanford a scare in the conference champ game last year. Gonna be a tighter than expected, yet beautiful, Pac-12 game!

Yanks, with you on Zona. Different opinions on ASU/Colorado and OSU/Wazzou. I never like going against you and your Pac 12 thoughts. With you also on BYU.

On to a subject I know well, I wouldn't touch Texas with a 10 foot pole. My numbers say Texas too (barely), but I'd imagine that your numbers also account for Ash for part of the year. The Stoops brothers OWN Mack Brown, and that is with Chris Simms, Vince Young, and COLT McCoy at the biggest position. With CASE McCoy out there, and all of his serious limitations, as well as our completely inability to stop the run and tackle anything that moves, I am on OU big. Keep in mind that the Stoops boys also usually have something up their sleeve for us, whereas Mack plays this game with his anus shut tight.

I could go on further, but Texas is a definite no-play (unless you REALLY like to gamble), and I would have played this one up to OU -21 (and could be convinced that the number could even be higher).

thx, bud...appreciate it, and i won't touch tejas. :cheers:

change of plans. not gonna wait. gonna get thursday all buttoned up...

Rutgers/Louisville over 54 for 3/4
Arizona (+6) for 3/4

see rutgers pass defense on the two main road trips, fresno st to begin things and smu last week. they like giving up 50+ on the road, even if it takes OT.
i know the history of this series, and it's usually low scoring. ville also has UCF on deck. but despite all that, i can't see bridgewater and the cardinals not reaching the 40s here.
also, with a passing game of their own, rutgers should be able to sniff 20-21 of their own.

made the trojans a 2 pt hm fav, but i'm counting on things not being all that peachy in troy...that firing lane and a bye week didn't solve all their issues. and that's because arizona can run the ball, but that's pretty much it. if usc shows up, full strength & effort, they are fairly well equipped to stop the run...so long as there's not a taylor kelly type, dual threat, QB...which there isn't in zona's case.
in any case, hard to put faith in rich rod...but hoping usc is still a mess (w/out a leader)...and that we see a tight, RB dominated game. usc doesn't have a good QB either, and lee should be out at receiver. both off a bye, so it'll be decided in the trenches...where i think arizona will be the more focused, harder-working team...even if they're a bit less talented. it'll hopefully come down to "want to," kinda like last year.

btw, in case anyone's wondering, i typically make football plays as follows...
1 unit for the sides i love, 3/4s unit for totals, 3/4s unit for weekday games, and 1/2 or 3/4s for decent sides i like...depending on how much of a reach it may or may not be.
don't flat bet everything, but i don't get silly either. everything's not always equal, imo. the most i'd wager is 2 units on a game...and the most i've bet so far this year is 1.5 units (once) on ucla over nebby...though the touts almost got me to do it with asu over usc, moving the line so much in my favor.
anyhow, it doesn't matter...but just explaining the differences to what i play.

thx, bud...appreciate it, and i won't touch tejas. :cheers:

Sounds good, and this is one that I'm OK if I'm right because it is beyond time for Mack to go, and an OU ass-kicking should seal his fate. I hate that I'm to that point as a fan, but nonetheless I am.

Sounds good, and this is one that I'm OK if I'm right because it is beyond time for Mack to go, and an OU ass-kicking should seal his fate. I hate that I'm to that point as a fan, but nonetheless I am.

i understand...and it seems to be a common sentiment among the Texas fans i know. :shake:
sometimes, after a long run, it's just time to move on. was thinking along those lines when i heard scioscia was retained on local radio this morning. didn't realize he was the longest tenured manager in the game. lots of halo fans i know wanted a change. it's different than mack, cuz i can't say that i agree with the sentiment in the halos case...but after so many years, i do get it. (kinda was ready for the same thing with torre too.)

Good shit Yanks, agree with all of your plays, GL

thanks, bud...appreciate it. :shake:

Arizona and Washington with ya, BOL :cheers:

good deal, play. GL to you as well. :cheers:

the UW line did come down to 13 or 13.5 at the various spots, so glad i didn't wait too long. considering the %'s on oregon, i consider it a good sign.
i'm also glad to see game day hitting the best game of the day...in possibly the best conference, but definitely the 2nd best, in college football...the pac-12 north.

Yanks!!

im jumping on Zona soon myself, glad to see you're on em

sounds good, silk. thanks, bud. :shake:

as hard as it is to say, i might be done playing the Pac-12 for this week. i've already teased stanford, asu, and ucla...played a couple totals...so short of some big time line movement, this could be it for the week.

the other reason i say that is because i think i already made the best play possible in the oregon st/washington st game...since i honestly believe it's gonna be a shootout. both teams can chuck it...both teams struggle to run it...both teams have been allowing a lot thru the air...so points, points, and more points imo.
i still lean hard (situationally) to wazzou, fwiw. but with the line creeping up to -2...when my #s make the beavers a small fav...it gets harder to make the addition, in what could very well be a coin flip game...where the last possession wins.
but maybe something will change for me (or with the lines) over the next two days.

anyhow, all that said, i've still got a couple (non-pac-12) additions to make here...

Michigan St(-3.5) to Virginia Tech(-3) for 1 to win 1
BYU (-6.5) @ -120 for 1

teased two home teams that i really liked this week. two defensive beasts, yet both offensively challenged at times. i made mich st an 11 pt fav, and i made vt a 12.5 fav. love the spots for both teams, but feel safer (i guess) eliminating the backdoor...keeping both of these well under a TD.
it's the spartans homecoming game, off their big win @ iowa....where this is actually the hoosiers first road game of the season, coming off the big upset of penn st. just see it as a major letdown spot, not having traveled anywhere in 7 weeks.
pitt's off a bye, which is about the best thing they've got going for them. obviously, i'm not a fan of the program lol. they've played one good opponent to date, FSU in week one (which i hit going against them), and have really done nothing to impress me since last season. on the flip side, vatech's got revenge on their side...home field...and a stout defense (vs pass & run) that'll keep pitt from enjoying any success on that side of the ball. just see an ugly, 23-9 type of game.

like vatech, byu was on my list of leans somewhere above. made them a 7 pt favorite here, but this play is about the situation/spot (vs my PR #s). byu spanked tech last year on the road. but what takes the revenge angle for GT outta the equation for me is that it's just a bad spot for them to be traveling across the country...having played unc, vatech, and @ miami the last 3 weeks. the yellow jackets are just too one-dimensional for this trip/spot...and more importantly, byu's fully equipped to contain their running attack. it's homecoming for the mormons, and just see them wearing GT down over time...kinda with that same pounding style they raped texas with in week two. anyhow, as the game progresses, i think it gets pretty ugly for tech.

nothing like starting out a new week in an 0-2 hole, smh. more often than not, weeknight games blow. :(

just one game, but fuck louisville. great story/etc...but you've got no business sniffing the top ten, let alone fifteen, and would rather not see you in a BCS game.

and fuck lang too, lol...ya damn jinx.
seriously, knew from that first pass play that zona was toast. gotdamned rich rod...although they at least made it entertaining/close late.

the silver lining is that it sets things up nicely for the future in terms of the trojans. they've got 4 to 5 losses in their remaining 7 games, so hopefully this inflates their value a bit. orgeron's not a HC. obviously lane was a cancer...and removing the tumor obviously improved the situation...but there are still issues, so the pendulum's yet to set somewhere in the middle here.

nothing like starting out a new week in an 0-2 hole, smh. more often than not, weeknight games blow. :(

just one game, but fuck louisville. great story/etc...but you've got no business sniffing the top ten, let alone fifteen, and would rather not see you in a BCS game.

and fuck lang too, lol...ya damn jinx.
seriously, knew from that first pass play that zona was toast. gotdamned rich rod...although they at least made it entertaining/close late.

the silver lining is that it sets things up nicely for the future in terms of the trojans. they've got 4 to 5 losses in their remaining 7 games, so hopefully this inflates their value a bit. orgeron's not a HC. obviously lane was a cancer...and removing the tumor obviously improved the situation...but there are still issues, so the pendulum's yet to set somewhere in the middle here.

said the exact same thing to my buddy this morning..the only blessing was that they won, a better one woudl have been a dd win, but i'll take this..they have ND, Oregon St, UCLA, Stanford, Utah, California, Colorado...

ND, Oregon State, UCLA, Stanford should be losses and i could see Utah giving them "some" trouble..but like you confirmed, some inflated lines coming our way I hope

(just a post from last week's thread)

btw...Week #7 in the Pac-12 is sexy as hell. :goal:

Oregon @ Washington
Stanford @ Utah
Cal @ UCLA
Arizona @ USC
Colorado @ Arizona St

will give thoughts later, prolly after i make plays. but gotdamned, it's gonna be an exciting October/November out west.

btw, found it interesting that the trojans avoid both oregon and washington this year. not happy about that, cuz there goes two potential big plays/wins from my season. :)

Spot on Yanks and hoping you nail all those Pac-12 plays today, too ... :cheers: [vk shake]

addition...

Missouri TT over 29 for 3/4

ETG got me looking at this game harder, but some line value for the side was lost. Still was going to play the over, but settled on this play. Only one team that's played UGA to date this season has failed to score at least 30 points in the game...North Texas @ 21 pts.
LSU & Clemson are understandable, considering all. But if Tenny & Scary can do it, then I'm betting so can Mizzou.

^^ not the best start, 1Q, dammit...but time.

last addition...

Stanford (-7) @ -120 for 3/4

damn the reverse line mvmt, damn the mormon homecoming, and damn the fact that i already teased them...i gotta go with the significantly better team here, if i'm only gonna have to lay 7 @ -20 to do so. stanford is being devalued to an extent because of the UW game, so i'm taking a bite.

said the exact same thing to my buddy this morning..the only blessing was that they won, a better one woudl have been a dd win, but i'll take this..they have ND, Oregon St, UCLA, Stanford, Utah, California, Colorado...

ND, Oregon State, UCLA, Stanford should be losses and i could see Utah giving them "some" trouble..but like you confirmed, some inflated lines coming our way I hope

:shake:

Spot on Yanks and hoping you nail all those Pac-12 plays today, too ... :cheers: [vk shake]

thanks, judge. hope so too. :cheers:

usc is terrible.

gl today yanks

i hate starting a week like that. but thx, vk. same to you, buddy. :shake:

Mizzou with 28 @ the half. Thx for makng me look @ this game again, ETG. :clapping:

And wow...fuckin Texas with a 23-10 halftime lead. :shocked:

5-5, -.40 this weekend. started in an 0-2 thursday hole, thought i was climbing out, then stanford shit the bed a gotdamned week too early.

washington played a game they should've covered the 14 pts, minus two aspects...two too many turnovers, and price wasn't nearly as good as he needed to be. but more importantly, their defense flat out just wore down. it's been a helluva stretch. might be the best 2 loss team in the country right now, lol.

but stanford really fucked me. hogan's been a complete POS the last couple weeks, the HC is playing things way too safe, and they've (seemingly) got no energy/spark. not only did they cost me two losses yesterday, against an (underrated but) inferior opponent...they completely fucked up all line value to the UCLA game this coming weekend. and that pisses me off the most! i wanted a big, fat +10 this morning...yet not not quite a TD, following two poor Cardinal performances in a row.
(this also kills the line value for when they play the ducks. gonna have to lay much more than i wanted there, dammit.)

anyhow, bumping/updating...cuz a play for week 8 is coming...and i don't have time to make a new thread/etc.

for Week #8...

Notre Dame (-2.5) for 1

played it as soon as the line came up for me. fwiw, only made ND a 6.5 pt favorite here with my PR #s...but the play is about more than just numbers.

anyhow, been looking for line value all morning...but getting frustrated...so this may be it for now.

Mizzou with 28 @ the half. Thx for makng me look @ this game again, ETG. :clapping:

And wow...fuckin Texas with a 23-10 halftime lead. :shocked:

Sorry Yanks. I know I talked you out of that one. I still can't wrap my brain around that game, as that's a Texas team that I haven't seen in 5+ years. I have no idea where it came from. Needless to say, I lost my ass on that one.

Back