Florida St +3
Texas A&M +24
Florida -22
Oregon +16

Last edited:
<table class="card"><tbody class="card-tbody"><tr></tr><tr><td class="ct c">
</td><td class="ctr c">
</td></tr><tr><td class="cl c">
</td><td class="cc c">9:51 AM (2 hours ago)
Photos: Fresno State @ UCLA

from Bruins Nation by Telemachus
Hot day at the Rose Bowl and though Austin's 100-yard kickoff return to start the game was called back, it gave us a bit of an idea of what we were in for. I mean, blocked PAT's (one returned by the Bruins for two points), a punt returned for a TD (dang FSU), an interception by DT Brian Price, and 250 combined kickoff and punt return yards and almost 300 yards of total offense by Terrence Austin!
Oh yeah, we lost.
But I'm relentlessly optimistic and was really happy after the game when CRN got on the PA to thank the crowd for coming out and supporting the team. He encouraged us to come back next week for WSU and almost promised a win. (I think his emotion got the best of him here, I'm sure he doesn't want any bulletin-board material to fire up the cougs) You can just sense the passion CRN has to get the ship righted.
Enjoy the slideshow, there's lots to be encouraged about.

(Maximize window first and then click photo for best viewing)​
Oh, and the other reason to make it to the game:

(Maximize window first and then click photo for best viewing)​

</td></tr></tbody></table>

Friday and Saturday football recap from tvtanline.blogspot.com:

tvtanline%20-%200926-1901%28TV53%29%5B1%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-1137%28TV52%29.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-1923%28TV3%29.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-1924%28TV52%29%5B1%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-1941%28TV52%29%5B4%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-1952%28TV8%29%5B32%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-2000%28TV53%29%5B12%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-2004%28TV53%29.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-2004%28TV53%29%5B8%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-2022%28TV52%29%5B3%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-2025%28TV52%29.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-2101%28TV52%29%5B1%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-2102%28TV53%29%5B5%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-2106%28TV52%29%5B4%5D.jpg

tvtanline%20-%200927-2107%28TV54%29%5B4%5D.jpg

</td><td class="ctr c">
</td><td class="cc c">1:14 PM (1 hour ago)
Polls shake up, and Bama should make you afraid. Very afraid.

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-503613625-1222630870.jpg
On the same weekend we huddle around the mangled remains of USC and Florida's national ambitions, it's also an occasion to embrace the balance in nature, the circle of life, yin and yang, the energy that can be neither created nor destroyed, etc. Yes, the same catchphrases you learned in chemistry class, your local head shop and various Elton John songs can be applied to the polls, too, where some championship contenders die -- for the time being, anyway -- and new ones rise to assume the glories and burdens of life at the top. Exeunt Southern Cal, Georgia and Florida, entrer Penn State and Alabama. Along with Oklahoma's ascension to No. 1, it's feeling very 1979 up in here. Forgive the suggestion that the Tide and Lions -- or Sooners, or anyone else -- might be destined for something. Fate is a cruel myth, as the Trojans and Gators can well attest this morning, and as Bama, PSU, Oklahoma, Missouri and LSU have two months still to learn, with freshly-affixed targets on their backs.
If you're looking to anoint the winners of September, though, no other frontrunners look quite so well-adjusted as the surprises, the Tide and Lions. Alabama, especially, has not only dominated two top ten opponents on neutral and hostile turf. but put them away quickly, convincingly, precisely according to the template Nick Saban established for LSU's championship run in 2003: a steady, efficient, veteran quarterback, backed by a run-first philosophy and a committee of strong runners that eat up the clock; and more importantly, a dominant defensive line that takes away the running game immediately.
Against two of the most dynamic backfields in America, the Tide front seven has been virtually perfect. Clemson logged exactly zero yards on the ground on opening night, and Georgia ran up all of 50 on Saturday. All together, James Davis, C.J. Spiller and Knowshon Moreno combined for 56 yards on 17 carries, and because they were rendered so obsolete so quickly, Cullen Harper and Matt Stafford were inevitably pounded into hamburger as the game wore on and comeback lights grew dim. Stafford held up much better Saturday than Harper earlier in the year, but Big Matt, too, was hit, flustered and frustrated into his share of desperate, off-balance, sure-to-end-badly throws. It's by his golden arm alone that not every one ended badly, but Bama won't see another limb even in Stafford's ballpark for the rest of the regular season, if it sustains the same level of pressure.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-66174198-1222630883.jpg
In fact, this is the template -- steady, senior quarterback making a dramatic leap forward, deep backfield, hellacious front seven -- that's defined all of the SEC's best teams this decade, from LSU in '03 to Auburn in '04 to Florida in '06 and LSU last year. Unlike any of those teams, Bama's already handled its toughest test on the road (albeit with Baton Rouge still to come) apparently has not just an adequate offensive line, but a potentially legendary bunch of maulers at their current pace. The front five are deservedly the stars of the offense.
If borderline teams like Alabama and Penn State have to "pay their dues" before they're allowed into the discussion for No. 1, certainly both teams put down whatever was left on their tab Saturday. Does it matter that the Tide struggled mightily on offense against Tulane? Possibly -- John Parker Wilson will be called on eventually to pull a win back from the edge of a cliff in the fourth quarter, a feat he's pulled off exactly once (last year against Arkansas) in two full years and at least a half dozen game-saving opportunities as a starter. The jury remains largely out on the Lions until they manage trips to Wisconsin and Ohio State. Both teams have long-standing streaks to bust to get anywhere: PSU has been consistently routed in Columbus since joining the Big Ten and hasn't beaten Michigan anywhere in more than a decade; Alabama is 0-10 since 2003 against LSU and Auburn.
We'll look back at Halloween and see if any of this talk still makes any sense; in retrospect, it rarely does. For now, though, revise your expectations accordingly.

Adding:

Navy +7 (-110)

Line opened at 6 at Greek so adding this for value at least. See JPicks' thread.

Adding:

Nevada -24 (-110)

Just like Wyoming, fading Idaho until they prove they can cover a number. With the exception of last year, this game is usually not even close.

Adding:

Maryland -13' (-110)

Fading Virginia, Maryland has offense going, and Maryland looking for revenge from last year's loss.

However, past history is a bit of a concern as UVa has won 7 of the last 8 in Charlottesville. Not this year. This team is in disarray.

</td><td class="ctr c">
</td><td class="cc c">6:59 PM (2 minutes ago)
Underdog Money Lines Wk 6

from underdogsofwar.com by TheGarfather
YTD: 8-9, +11.25 units
Week 4: 4-4, +6.95 units
If you played some underdogs on the money line, then you had a good week. Period. No experience required, no quality handicapping, just shooting and hitting. Dogs of all sizes won from +2250 down to +105. 17 in total came though, out 48 games that is a superb 35.4%. If it were like that every week none of us would need day jobs. Truth is, I cannot remember a week like this, and there is a 0% chance of it happening again this season, so I hope everyone enjoyed it and took advantage. If you played all 48 dogs straight up for $100 then you profited $4950 meaning the intake on an outright dog bet was $103 (over one unit of pure unadulterated profit) adjusted for all results. Therefore, considering that I recommended 8 and only came to the good by less than 7 units, I had a bad week. Well, maybe not a bad week because anytime you finish ahead its a good week, but mathematically I would have been better off not handicapping anything at all and just playing all dogs blindly. Week 1 was the only other week that approach would have produced a profit. Because of today’s extreme statistical outliers it made up for negative net results in weeks 2-4 and you would be ahead by $3460 for the season if all you did was play money line dogs at the opening number for $100. Makes me feel pretty shitty for wasting all my free time capping when a blanket approach would have been better. I actually have a really sour taste in my mouth right now, which is strange coming off a winning week.
Recapping yesterday: Alabama was an easy winner. Wrong team favored and at better than 2:1 no less. I just love spots like that. Why can’t they all be that easy? Nevada ended up being an easy right-side winner with over 600 yards of offense. New year, same shit for UNLV. Maryland benefited from a +3 turnover differential as Clemson proved once again they have no idea how to play solid football for an entire season. If you take away Heyward-Bey’s 75 yard reverse the Terps only averaged 1.5 ypc, combine that with a mediocre passing attack and its tough to see how they won on the road, but TOs are part of the equation and cannot be ignored. Speaking of large turnovers differences, the Northwestern Wildcats came up with 5 while only commiting one themselves. They needed every bit of it too as their kicker is a *** and missed makeable field goals as well as an XP. They also needed a late goal line stand and it was good to see NW win a game that way. Usually when they win its them doing the scoring late in the game after the other team cannot keep them out. This program might - I said might - be turning a corner. Both MD and NW shut out their opponents in the second half while on the road so that was awesome. As for the losers, Kent was never competitive and EMU as well as Idaho can both join the Black Knights of Army on my Black List. EMU/Army in a couple weeks will be unbettable. I am pissed off at Buffalo, they throw up that hail mary bullshit two weeks ago and then this week fuck me by missing a FG as times expired. Principe sucks and never makes them from that distance, but its disconcerting to have this be the second week in a row where my team recovered an onside kick and couldn’t take advantage of it. Those are the sorts of things you need to go your way. They couldn’t handle LeFevour while being outgained and out first-downed so I have no cause to cry foul and add this one into the Moose Account, but just the same it awfully irritating. Nothing goes into the Moose Account this week unless somebody thinks I should add NW or MD as a suckout. I would listen to such an argument.
I picked a good number of plays. My “next three” theoretical plays would have all come up losers and two of them (CU and NT) would have been dominated. My two late Friday adds of Reno and Buffalo produced a positive net result.
Moose Account: 0-1, -2.15 units
Net Turnover Margin on all sides I have recommended: -1 (by week: -3, -4, +3, -4, +7)
Watch List for week 6: FAU, Pitt, UAB, Oregon State, Marshall, Rutgers, Iowa, Indy, Connecticut, South Carolina, KSU, ISU, Ohio, Stanford, FSU, ASU, SMU, Navy, NIU, Toledo, Kent, UTEP, Rice, and the usual Sun Belt stuff. I can almost guarantee you that I won’t like this card. Limited opportunities for the types of plays I like and I won’t be able to employee my prefered strategy. You might see a total or an ATS rec from me this week.

I want Mack to retire to the AD position and Muschamp take over. I hope to God we don't lose him to another program. He's the real deal.

Muschamp is the team's heart and soul

from Texas Longhorns Football: Orangebloods.com - Texas Football Headlines by Chip Brown
Will Muschamp is starting to have the same effect on Texas that Vince Young had on the Longhorns. Players are starting to believe they can do anything. Thanks to playmakers like Brian Orakpo, Sergio Kindle, Colt McCoy and Jordan Shipley, the identity of this team is changing. It all leads back to Muschamp. We'll tell you why he's not only the heart and soul of this team, but may just be the Bill Belichick of college football

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td class="col0">Fulmer considers change at quarterback for 1-3 Tennessee

</td><td class="col1">Story Highlights
  • Jonathan Crompton and Nick Stephens will compete to be Tennessee's QB
  • Jonathan Crompton has been the Vols' starter through their 1-3 start
</td></tr></tbody></table><table class="cnninlineright" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>KNOXVILLE, Tenn. (AP) -- Jonathan Crompton and Nick Stephens will compete for Tennessee's starting quarterback job this week during practice, coach Phillip Fulmer said Sunday.
"I'd much rather the guy we anticipated being the starter play well and execute like we want. That's not happening on a consistent basis right now," he said.
Fulmer called Crompton's 8-for-23 passing performance for 67 yards in the Vols' 14-12 loss at Auburn unacceptable. Crompton completed a pass to Gerald Jones on a two-point conversion attempt that would have tied the game, but Jones was stopped short of the end zone.
The pair will alternate taking snaps with the first team offense during practice. Whichever quarterback shows the most consistency passing during practice this week will earn the starting job when Tennessee (1-3, 0-2 Southeastern Conference) faces Northern Illinois on Saturday.
Crompton, a 6-foot-4, 220-pound redshirt junior from Waynesville, N.C., has struggled with passing consistency all season and caused five turnovers through interceptions and a fumble near the goal line against Florida.
One mistake Fulmer did not charge Crompton with was a fumbled handoff with Arian Foster at the goal line that was recovered by Auburn's Jake Ricks in the end zone for the decisive score.
Fulmer said Foster was not holding his elbow high enough to create enough room to receive the ball from Crompton, who was charged with the fumble by the game's statisticians.
Crompton's passing numbers have been disappointing in four games this season with an average 16 completions on nearly 31 attempts for 164.5 yards per game. His best performance came against UAB when he went 19-for-31 with his only two touchdown passes of the season.
By comparison, Erik Ainge averaged 23 completions on 37 attempts for 251.5 yards per game last season.
Fulmer said Crompton has performed well in practice, but struggles too much with accuracy and finding open receivers during games.
"Jon has played well at times and made some nice plays. I can't put my finger on it exactly," he said. "Sometimes it's the decision making process isn't as smooth as it needs to be."
Three times against 13th-ranked Auburn (4-1, 2-1), Tennessee started drives inside Tigers territory but failed to get a first down to set up what might have been a game-winning field goal attempt.
"It's tough," Crompton said after the game. "Tough times come and go. It's obviously one of the tough times."
Fulmer said he and offensive coordinator Dave Clawson have discussed replacing Crompton several times during games, but Crompton usually responded with a positive play and they chose instead to let him continue.
Fulmer said his receivers were doing well most of the time separating from defenders and running routes but at times made mistakes that caused a play to break down. He also said at the offense's protection wasn't always enough.
Stephens, a 6-foot-4, 215-pound redshirt sophomore from Flower Mound, Texas, has attempted only two passes this season, both against UAB in mop-up duty. The first was a 42-yard pass to Brandon Warren. The second fell incomplete.
He also ran once for a 5-yard gain.
At the beginning of the season, Stephens and B.J. Coleman, a redshirt freshman, took turns practicing with the second team. The decision was made a couple of weeks ago to have only Stephens practice with the second team to better prepare him should he have to play.
"Nick has made a lot of improvement in the last two or three weeks, actually. We look forward to seeing what he can do this week," Fulmer said.
Coleman, 6-foot-3, 210-pound Chattanooga native, also played in the closing minutes against UAB but did not attempt a pass.
Fulmer said he expected to use wide receiver Gerald Jones at quarterback in the Vols' "G-gun" package more in coming games, though not necessarily because of the starter's play. He said coaches and Jones have been working to expand the package regardless.
Jones, a former high school quarterback, ran four times for 25 yards out of the G-gun and handed off the ball a few more times. He attempted his first pass of the season, an accurate but incomplete pass to Lucas Taylor.
It's not the first time Fulmer has faced a quarterback carousel. In 2005, when the Vols went 5-6 and missed out on a bowl appearance, Ainge and Rick Clausen alternated behind center as neither ever solidly won the starter job.
"We really, really don't want to have to do that unless we think its going to help us win," Fulmer said. "Hopefully we'll come up with a clear-cut starter."

USC isn't out of it, and BYU's very much in it

42634424.jpg
Email Picture
Gina Ferazzi / Los Angeles Times
Brigham Young players have plenty to celebrate this week -- the Cougars cracked the top 10 in more than one college football poll.

[COLOR=#333333 ! important]Trojans debut at No. 7 in Harris poll and drop only to No. 9 in coaches' survey, keeping them in BCS title-game hunt. Meanwhile, Brigham Young moves into top 10.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#999999 ! important]Chris Dufresne
6:50 PM PDT, September 28, 2008 [/COLOR]
Three answers to three questions emanating from the first question-filled weekend of the season:

All the answers, incredibly, are "yes."

Can Brigham Young, a member of the Mountain West Conference, win the national championship this year?

Is USC, which suffered a humiliating Thursday night defeat in Corvallis to 25 1/2 -point underdog Oregon State, back in the Bowl Championship Series title race?

Is the Big 12 Conference better right now than the Southeastern?

Yes, yes and yes.

No?

Let's take these in order:

1: BYU. The general assumption for years has been that a school from outside the six power conferences had no chance of ever ascending to No. 1 or No. 2 in the BCS standings, which would guarantee that school a spot in the national title game.

Schools from the five conferences whose champions do not receive automatic bids to BCS games have been fighting for years, sometimes with lawyers at their sides, for better access into a system that has been called a monopoly.

But take a look at Sunday's college football polls. BYU, which was Bye-YU this weekend, benefited from key losses involving several top teams to jump four spots, to No. 7 in the USA Today coaches' poll.

The Cougars are No. 8 in the Associated Press media poll, which is no longer a part of the BCS standings, and No. 9 in the first Harris Interactive Poll. Harris has replaced the AP survey in the BCS formula.

BYU, which won the national title in 1984 with a victory over a mediocre Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl, appears to have a legitimate chance to get to this year's BCS title game, to be played Jan. 8 in South Florida.

BYU has a couple of tough games left, at Texas Christian on Oct. 16 and at No. 15 Utah on Nov. 22.

On the credibility front, the Mountain West is 5-0 against the Pac-10 this year with a chance to make it 6-0 Thursday when Utah plays host to Oregon State.

This could get real interesting. Four teams ahead of BYU in the polls play each other. Oklahoma and Texas go at it in Dallas on Oct. 11 while Alabama and Louisiana State meet Nov. 8 in Baton Rouge.

If everybody else loses and BYU keeps winning, why can't the Cougars end up No. 1 or No. 2?

The question then might turn to BYU's strength in the BCS computers.

What if BYU ended up No. 1 in both polls but No. 3 in the BCS?

Hey, it happened in 2003 to USC.

went to the NU/Va Tech game. Great crowd, had a good time. what a BS personal foul to pretty much end the game but we dug ourselves too big of a hole. Va Tech was much better on offense than I thought they would be.

Fullback Tiemann out for the year

from Bevo Beat
Fullback Luke Tiemann, a fifth-year senior, will undergo season-ending knee surgery..
He tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during Texas’ 52-10 victory Saturday over Arkansas.
Tiemann, a former Pflugerville High School standout, was placed on scholarship a month ago.
“Luke is one of our great senior leaders,” said coach Mack Brown. “He got a standing ovation when we presented him his scholarship in August, and he has, and will continue to have, a great impact on this team. He is as tough as they come, and has contributed so much from the fullback position and on special teams. On top of that, he is an outstanding student. His presence on the field will be missed and someone will have to step up to fill his void.”
Tiemann had played in all four games this season at fullback and on special teams.

Feel the Hate

from Behind enemy lines - A Huskerh8er's view of the world by AJ
Hate week:

A pillar of disdain and rage set upon a backdrop of hype, history and arrogance. As we stated in this very blog nearly one year ago, the college football landscape has changed significantly since the grainy, black-and-white newsreel footage days of Scott Frost, Kirk Farmer, Tommie Frazier, Kent Skornia and Eric Crouch. Gone are the triple digit point spreads, the pathetically supercilious pity claps and blind idiotic faith that leads a couple million fans through the darkness of the typical Nebraska Autumn.

Yes, hate week is many things to many people. To you, perhaps it’s just another first-weekend-of-October filled with big games, big upsets (pffffft) and SEC hype. To others it may be yet another attempt for me and others to create drama around a game played by two programs; a has been and a never-was.

Yet to me, hate week is so much more. It’s more than looking ahead, and it’s more than just two rival teams facing off on a 120 yard patch of carpet in the middle of a shithole state that has so little going for it…it’s entire identity is based upon a college football program that hasn’t done squat in 6 years. To me, it is extremely personal and every bit as real as that "Crouch for Heisman" your Stetson-wearing, Dove hunting wife has tattooed on her lower back.

You see...Hate Week brings about the feelings of yesterday and smashes them against the cold hard reality of today. In this particular case…as it did last season…hate week brings me to you…not just in commentary and sarcasm, but in full and living color. Just as last season…your long and painful drop to rock bottom is fully underway, and I intend to remind you of every pity clap you ever gave me….every snide-ass comment you ever made…and every ridiculous arrogant prediction that has come out of your mouth.

But if last year wiped your program off the map…what does this year bring? What is even the point of getting all excited for a game where…if you saw Va Tech last night…is going to carry all the drama and excitement of a trip to Harold Warp's Pioneer Village? What is there POSSIBLY left to prove before I simply shut this whole movement down and declare sweet sweet victory?

Because there is one more door to smash down, that's why. Despite the glowing aftermath, one last hurdle remains before the entire balance of power transformation is 100% complete. Winning in Lincoln…something that hasn’t been done in 30 years…would represent the end of the journey; the final nail in a coffin that has been slammed shut for quite some time. Total victory will be Missouri fans like me, standing over your program’s nearly dead body…desperately wheezing for every last ounce of breath, moments before the first sub 2:00 scoring drive early in the 1st quarter. Sporting a giant spike and cross, my boyhood team is about to make one last thrust into your heart…once and for all murdering the ghosts of the past.

What ghosts? What's the big deal you ask? Need to be reminded of your past greatness? Ok, I'll play that game. Here are some of my Lincoln favorites:

1982 – A thinned out, yet 5th ranked Husker team squeaks by the Tigers in Lincoln. Turner Gill gets knocked on his ass mid-way through the game, but then some 5th string assclown named Bruce Mathison (Who?) took the Hicks 70 yards in 11 plays with 4:45 left to play and seal the victory.

1984 – 6th ranked Nebraska, fresh off their choke job to Miami the previous year, Down 16-10 at the half, Mizzou was threatening when some Marc Munford person picked off a pass and went 57 yards for the TD. Mizzou couldn’t overcome the 23-10 deficit late, and fell again. The mighty Husker offense was held to less than 200 yards…bad news for Mizzou? They had 111. (Yes, one hundred and eleven…yards. Yes, total. )

1988 – 5th ranked and 7-1 Nebraska is down 18-17 mid way through the 4th in Lincoln when Steve F’ing Taylor of all people throws an 82 yard PASS on 3rd and 22 to some copier salesman named Todd Millikan. A field goal with 8:24 left took the lead, and another late TD sealed the victory. Mizzou would go on to a thrilling 3-8 season.

1990 – Coming 7 days after the infamous “5th down game” against Colorado in Columbia, Mickey Joseph, one of the worst Husker QB’s in modern history ran for 9000 yards as the 7th ranked hicks ran up 622 yards of offense…500 of them on the ground. The Huskers would win 69-21 as Mizzou would eventually fall to 4-7 on the season.

1991 – My first game ever at Memorial Stadium saw the Tigers take a 3-0 lead early. 63 points later, the 9th ranked Hicks would steamroll the Tigers on their way to 681 yards of total offense….most of which was gained by the 3rd quarter.

1993 – 5th ranked Nebraska stomps on Mizzou in Lincoln 49-7, out gaining the Tigers 539 to 172. Jeff Handy had an outstanding day throwing the ball for Missouri, going a Joe Montana-like 15 of 23 for 104 yards. The Tigers would lose 3 of their last 4 that season, finishing a stellar 3-7-1.

1995 – Nebraska 57 – Missouri 0

1996 – Nebraska 51 – Missouri 7

1998 – A Cinderella Mizzou’s best shot in recent memory to upend the Monte Christo-led Huskers falls in a giant pile of shit in the south end zone, as MU wide-out John Dausman drops a past in the chest that would have set up the game tying extra point with no time remaining. Monte…fucking…Christo? Seriously? Huskers 20- Mizzou 13.

2000 – Top ranked Nebraska fights off a spunky Kirk Farmer behind the clipping-fueled returns of Bobby Newcombe. Mizzou actually out gains the Huskers 491 to 484, but to no avail. Huskers 42 – Tigers 24.

2002, 2004 and 2006 – Neither team is ranked in all 3 games, with the Huskers winning each. 2006 is punctuated with Chase Daniel firing the ball all over the place to the delight and pig squeals of 78,000 overall wearing fans. Despite racking up 220 yards in the second half, NU rides 4 Mizzou turnovers to a 34-20 lead..providing Bill Callahan with his biggest win of his short career.

And there you have it. Of all the jinxes, kicked balls, 5th downs and more…winning in Lincoln remains the last major hurdle facing the average Missouri fan. With history so near, and the point spread so wide, thousands of angry gold-clad fans will invade the cement toilet on 10th street this Saturday…hoping to witness the end game. It will be merciless. It will be glorious. It will be a lifetime in the making.

And before you hit me with USC/Florida/Georgia predictions...the odds are that there will be no overlooking. There will be no peeking past Saturday to a showdown with suddenly good Oklahoma State at home the following week. No, the average Missouri fan,…pain still lingering in his heart and sweet sweet revenge rattling around his brain…will be prepared to take full advantage of the situation.

There is no turning back the hands of time. There is no pulling the covers over your head after each Chase Daniel completion. You will be forced to sit…and watch…and soak in the payback of 30 years...all from the comfort of your favorite wooden slab you've called home 8 times a year. Yes, you and your fellow fans will have no choice but to let us enjoy our moment…our one final death-blow into the staggering former champion that tormented us for so long.
For those of you with some vacation left at work..now would be a pretty good time to head to the lake…or fix up the combine..or whatever it is you people do during bye weeks. The sight of me and my brethren taking out 3 decades of frustration in your own living room will be difficult to watch...but oh oh so satisfying. I plan to make the most of it as my greatest day crosses over with one of your worst.

You have been warned.

5 days to go.

AJ

Oh and PS – Could your coach be any bigger of a crybaby wanker? Dude, you’re the head coach of a traditional Division 1 football program. Every time you sprout that little vein in your neck to show your constituents your “passion”, it makes you look like a complete newbie idiot. (As does the chomping gum and $4 grey sweatshirt you sport on the sideline.)

Although I will give old Bo credit..it's not nearly as ridiculous as 5 to 8 Husker scrubs dancing and jiving behind the bench for the ABC cameras (while losing) as if they were on the set of America’s Best Dance Crew. There are times you need to be loose..and there are times you look like a class C1 high school team from Bennington. You love to preach how you've been there before..how bout you act like it for 30% of the world to see? You can have all the former Huskers you want on the sideline…when you act like douchebags for all the world to see…it kinda defeats the purpose.

1: BYU. The general assumption for years has been that a school from outside the six power conferences had no chance of ever ascending to No. 1 or No. 2 in the BCS standings, which would guarantee that school a spot in the national title game.

Schools from the five conferences whose champions do not receive automatic bids to BCS games have been fighting for years, sometimes with lawyers at their sides, for better access into a system that has been called a monopoly.

But take a look at Sunday's college football polls. BYU, which was Bye-YU this weekend, benefited from key losses involving several top teams to jump four spots, to No. 7 in the USA Today coaches' poll.

The Cougars are No. 8 in the Associated Press media poll, which is no longer a part of the BCS standings, and No. 9 in the first Harris Interactive Poll. Harris has replaced the AP survey in the BCS formula.

BYU, which won the national title in 1984 with a victory over a mediocre Michigan team in the Holiday Bowl, appears to have a legitimate chance to get to this year's BCS title game, to be played Jan. 8 in South Florida.

BYU has a couple of tough games left, at Texas Christian on Oct. 16 and at No. 15 Utah on Nov. 22.

On the credibility front, the Mountain West is 5-0 against the Pac-10 this year with a chance to make it 6-0 Thursday when Utah plays host to Oregon State.

This could get real interesting. Four teams ahead of BYU in the polls play each other. Oklahoma and Texas go at it in Dallas on Oct. 11 while Alabama and Louisiana State meet Nov. 8 in Baton Rouge.

If everybody else loses and BYU keeps winning, why can't the Cougars end up No. 1 or No. 2?

The question then might turn to BYU's strength in the BCS computers.

What if BYU ended up No. 1 in both polls but No. 3 in the BCS?

Hey, it happened in 2003 to USC.

Crazy to think, but Utah and BYU could easily face off on Nov. 22nd as top 5 teams. Not sure if Utah can climb 10 spots if they run the table, but it's possible. Winner goes to the BCS while the loser heads to the Vegas Bowl. How shitty is that for the loser. Of course they could both get in, but that's very unlikely. Very interesting year.

Feel the Hate

from Behind enemy lines - A Huskerh8er's view of the world by AJ
Hate week:

A pillar of disdain and rage set upon a backdrop of hype, history and arrogance. As we stated in this very blog nearly one year ago, the college football landscape has changed significantly since the grainy, black-and-white newsreel footage days of Scott Frost, Kirk Farmer, Tommie Frazier, Kent Skornia and Eric Crouch. Gone are the triple digit point spreads, the pathetically supercilious pity claps and blind idiotic faith that leads a couple million fans through the darkness of the typical Nebraska Autumn.

Yes, hate week is many things to many people. To you, perhaps it’s just another first-weekend-of-October filled with big games, big upsets (pffffft) and SEC hype. To others it may be yet another attempt for me and others to create drama around a game played by two programs; a has been and a never-was.

Yet to me, hate week is so much more. It’s more than looking ahead, and it’s more than just two rival teams facing off on a 120 yard patch of carpet in the middle of a shithole state that has so little going for it…it’s entire identity is based upon a college football program that hasn’t done squat in 6 years. To me, it is extremely personal and every bit as real as that "Crouch for Heisman" your Stetson-wearing, Dove hunting wife has tattooed on her lower back.

You see...Hate Week brings about the feelings of yesterday and smashes them against the cold hard reality of today. In this particular case…as it did last season…hate week brings me to you…not just in commentary and sarcasm, but in full and living color. Just as last season…your long and painful drop to rock bottom is fully underway, and I intend to remind you of every pity clap you ever gave me….every snide-ass comment you ever made…and every ridiculous arrogant prediction that has come out of your mouth.

But if last year wiped your program off the map…what does this year bring? What is even the point of getting all excited for a game where…if you saw Va Tech last night…is going to carry all the drama and excitement of a trip to Harold Warp's Pioneer Village? What is there POSSIBLY left to prove before I simply shut this whole movement down and declare sweet sweet victory?

Because there is one more door to smash down, that's why. Despite the glowing aftermath, one last hurdle remains before the entire balance of power transformation is 100% complete. Winning in Lincoln…something that hasn’t been done in 30 years…would represent the end of the journey; the final nail in a coffin that has been slammed shut for quite some time. Total victory will be Missouri fans like me, standing over your program’s nearly dead body…desperately wheezing for every last ounce of breath, moments before the first sub 2:00 scoring drive early in the 1st quarter. Sporting a giant spike and cross, my boyhood team is about to make one last thrust into your heart…once and for all murdering the ghosts of the past.

What ghosts? What's the big deal you ask? Need to be reminded of your past greatness? Ok, I'll play that game. Here are some of my Lincoln favorites:

1982 – A thinned out, yet 5th ranked Husker team squeaks by the Tigers in Lincoln. Turner Gill gets knocked on his ass mid-way through the game, but then some 5th string assclown named Bruce Mathison (Who?) took the Hicks 70 yards in 11 plays with 4:45 left to play and seal the victory.

1984 – 6th ranked Nebraska, fresh off their choke job to Miami the previous year, Down 16-10 at the half, Mizzou was threatening when some Marc Munford person picked off a pass and went 57 yards for the TD. Mizzou couldn’t overcome the 23-10 deficit late, and fell again. The mighty Husker offense was held to less than 200 yards…bad news for Mizzou? They had 111. (Yes, one hundred and eleven…yards. Yes, total. )

1988 – 5th ranked and 7-1 Nebraska is down 18-17 mid way through the 4th in Lincoln when Steve F’ing Taylor of all people throws an 82 yard PASS on 3rd and 22 to some copier salesman named Todd Millikan. A field goal with 8:24 left took the lead, and another late TD sealed the victory. Mizzou would go on to a thrilling 3-8 season.

1990 – Coming 7 days after the infamous “5th down game” against Colorado in Columbia, Mickey Joseph, one of the worst Husker QB’s in modern history ran for 9000 yards as the 7th ranked hicks ran up 622 yards of offense…500 of them on the ground. The Huskers would win 69-21 as Mizzou would eventually fall to 4-7 on the season.

1991 – My first game ever at Memorial Stadium saw the Tigers take a 3-0 lead early. 63 points later, the 9th ranked Hicks would steamroll the Tigers on their way to 681 yards of total offense….most of which was gained by the 3rd quarter.

1993 – 5th ranked Nebraska stomps on Mizzou in Lincoln 49-7, out gaining the Tigers 539 to 172. Jeff Handy had an outstanding day throwing the ball for Missouri, going a Joe Montana-like 15 of 23 for 104 yards. The Tigers would lose 3 of their last 4 that season, finishing a stellar 3-7-1.

1995 – Nebraska 57 – Missouri 0

1996 – Nebraska 51 – Missouri 7

1998 – A Cinderella Mizzou’s best shot in recent memory to upend the Monte Christo-led Huskers falls in a giant pile of shit in the south end zone, as MU wide-out John Dausman drops a past in the chest that would have set up the game tying extra point with no time remaining. Monte…fucking…Christo? Seriously? Huskers 20- Mizzou 13.

2000 – Top ranked Nebraska fights off a spunky Kirk Farmer behind the clipping-fueled returns of Bobby Newcombe. Mizzou actually out gains the Huskers 491 to 484, but to no avail. Huskers 42 – Tigers 24.

2002, 2004 and 2006 – Neither team is ranked in all 3 games, with the Huskers winning each. 2006 is punctuated with Chase Daniel firing the ball all over the place to the delight and pig squeals of 78,000 overall wearing fans. Despite racking up 220 yards in the second half, NU rides 4 Mizzou turnovers to a 34-20 lead..providing Bill Callahan with his biggest win of his short career.

And there you have it. Of all the jinxes, kicked balls, 5th downs and more…winning in Lincoln remains the last major hurdle facing the average Missouri fan. With history so near, and the point spread so wide, thousands of angry gold-clad fans will invade the cement toilet on 10th street this Saturday…hoping to witness the end game. It will be merciless. It will be glorious. It will be a lifetime in the making.

And before you hit me with USC/Florida/Georgia predictions...the odds are that there will be no overlooking. There will be no peeking past Saturday to a showdown with suddenly good Oklahoma State at home the following week. No, the average Missouri fan,…pain still lingering in his heart and sweet sweet revenge rattling around his brain…will be prepared to take full advantage of the situation.

There is no turning back the hands of time. There is no pulling the covers over your head after each Chase Daniel completion. You will be forced to sit…and watch…and soak in the payback of 30 years...all from the comfort of your favorite wooden slab you've called home 8 times a year. Yes, you and your fellow fans will have no choice but to let us enjoy our moment…our one final death-blow into the staggering former champion that tormented us for so long.
For those of you with some vacation left at work..now would be a pretty good time to head to the lake…or fix up the combine..or whatever it is you people do during bye weeks. The sight of me and my brethren taking out 3 decades of frustration in your own living room will be difficult to watch...but oh oh so satisfying. I plan to make the most of it as my greatest day crosses over with one of your worst.

You have been warned.

5 days to go.

AJ

Oh and PS – Could your coach be any bigger of a crybaby wanker? Dude, you’re the head coach of a traditional Division 1 football program. Every time you sprout that little vein in your neck to show your constituents your “passion”, it makes you look like a complete newbie idiot. (As does the chomping gum and $4 grey sweatshirt you sport on the sideline.)

Although I will give old Bo credit..it's not nearly as ridiculous as 5 to 8 Husker scrubs dancing and jiving behind the bench for the ABC cameras (while losing) as if they were on the set of America’s Best Dance Crew. There are times you need to be loose..and there are times you look like a class C1 high school team from Bennington. You love to preach how you've been there before..how bout you act like it for 30% of the world to see? You can have all the former Huskers you want on the sideline…when you act like douchebags for all the world to see…it kinda defeats the purpose.

ahh, jealousy at its finest.

</td><td class="ctr c">
</td><td class="cc c">8:26 PM (3 minutes ago)
Kentucky's Ashton Cobb plays Joker, faces prison time

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-871359766-1222657953.jpg
Ideally, you want a starting strong a safety who's tenacious, harasses his target to the point of exasperation and who's menacing towards those who come closest to him. On the field, you want a "headhunter" in the secondary who's a little "psychotic." Those qualities might have taken Kentucky's Ashton Cobb far in football. When it comes to working through relationship issues, though, the Ronnie Lott approach is somewhat less effective, as Cobb found out last week while trying to woo his ex-girlfriend. Shockingly, she also managed to resist his carefully-honed impression of his favorite homicidal, apocalyptic movie villain:
Strong safety Cobb, 21, was not in the stadium for UK's game against Western Kentucky Saturday evening. UK coach Rich Brooks said that Cobb was suspended from the university; Brooks would not comment further.
He is charged with second-degree stalking, third-degree terroristic threatening, and harassing communications.
Cobb's ex-girlfriend said he called her about 19 times and sent about 15 text messages on Thursday, court records say. In one voicemail message he used profane language, saying he would kill and rape her.
He then sent a text message that read, "Why so serious?" referencing the Joker from the newest Batman movie, court records say.
Cobb will be in court Monday, where he plans to announce he's rigged up explosives to both Tim Tebow and Matt Stafford at the same time, and put detonators in the hands of Urban Meyer and Mark Richt. If one coach or the other fails to react, both essential quarterbacks will go down when Florida and Georgia meet in Jacksonville on Nov. 1, taking their teams' suddenly distant yet still plausible national title hopes with them. Who will blink first? If Ashton Cobb knows the blackness that lies deep in the hearts of all men, there will be blood in the SEC before the Cocktail Party.
Kentucky responded to Cobb's absence Saturday, by the way, by holding Western Kentucky to 15 yards passing in a 41-3 rout. I guess the innovative "combustible sociopath" position wasn't so essential, after all.

I kind of like the ducks to cover this week too, RJ, already up to +17 and im sure we should get to see +18 by kick.

going to give them a serious look this weekend, and also next 2 weeks @ ASU and @ cal... think they definitely have a great shot of winning one of those 2 SU and roper should be back by then.

On TTU, and BYU as well, good luck this weekend and to continued success this season

I kind of like the ducks to cover this week too, RJ, already up to +17 and im sure we should get to see +18 by kick.

going to give them a serious look this weekend, and also next 2 weeks @ ASU and @ cal... think they definitely have a great shot of winning one of those 2 SU and roper should be back by then.

On TTU, and BYU as well, good luck this weekend and to continued success this season

Thank you, sir.

oregon has been undervalued by the books this season, barring the inflated spread at home early in the season against boise....
but after the loss last week i worry about any team that has to go into the coliseum and face USC who will be out for blood...and has to blow every team out of the water from here on out to still have a shot for a BCS bid.

love the defensive unit though, especially that secondary. thurmond and byrd are definitely the best pair of corners in the country. 18 may be too many. young team last year has really matured this season.... just a lot of big shoes to fill on offense with stewart/dixon gone.... but they are very deep at the RB position.
a defense that can limit their ground attack, and force masoli to throw, though, worries me.

will USC make adjustments and stop the run and hold oregon to 13 or less.... leading to a possible cover.... or will the ducks expose USC rush d like the beavers did?

only other thing that worries me on the cover is possible masoli turnovers... look at the defenses he's faced: boise, wazzou, wash, and utah state. all sub-par, and certainly no usc.... we gotta remember the kid is still only a jJC transfer.big game for him

Bellotti has been quiet about it, as he was about masoli starting last weekend, and really i guess we can call ropers status, for now, "questionable"

all i can find at the moment.

</td><td class="ctr c">
</td><td class="cc c">10:08 PM (seconds ago)
Post Game Reaction: God Help Us

from Bring On The Cats by Panjandrum
panicbutton_medium.png
Yes, Kansas State won yesterday 45-37. They're 3-1 going into conference play with their only loss being on the road to a team from a BCS conference. All they have to do is win three more games to become bowl eligible.​
So, why do I feel like that's such a longshot now?​
First of all, I have to admit that I didn't go to the game on Saturday. I have season tickets, but before the season even started, we agreed to give them to relatives. Mainly, I gave them away because I just bought a new house, and I've been spending the vast majority of my weekends working on all sorts of projects. Also, since KSU was playing a team from the Sun Belt conference, I thought that I wouldn't really miss much...
Well, I guess that I was wrong.
Listening to the game in vivid "Wyattvision" (K-State fan codeword for listening to a game called by Wyatt Thompson) while seeding and fertilizing my lawn, I have to admit that I wanted to chuck my broadcast spreader halfway across my backyard on more than one occasion. Even while listening on the radio, I could 'see' the defense getting gashed for 335 rushing yards, and 509 total yards. Michael Desormeaux, the greatest dual-threat QB of all time per Ron Prince, ran for 98 yards and threw for another 136. His backfield mate, starting running back Tyrell Fenroy, ran for an astounding 183 yards on 20 carries.
No, I'm not making those numbers up. Louisiana, a Sun Belt team, rushed for 335 yards on 51 attempts. For those of you who are too lazy to get out your calculators, that breaks down to 6.6 yards a carry. Fenroy, alone, rushed for fifteen less yards than Kansas State did the entire day, and he did it on 25 less carries. His yards per carry averaged out to be 9.1. Let that sink in.
Now, I don't want to take anything away from a day where Lamark Brown had a coming out party at running back (137 yards, 1 TD), or a game where Josh Freeman broke the career record for passing yardage at KSU (6,238). Also, to their credit, the team fought through all of their deficiencies, stood up to a furious second half comeback by the Ragin' Cajuns, and marched down the field with a seven minute drive that ended in a field goal to put the game out of reach for Lousiana. And, like coach Ron always likes to say, "I don't want to bedruge a win..."
But does that feel like a win to anyone? Sure, the scoreboard says it's a win, and it gets this team one step closer to bowl eligiblity, but does anyone really take more than a handful of positives from this game? Honestly, to this humble blogger, it certainly doesn't inspire confidence.
Going into conference play, I don't think many Kansas State fans feel very confident about their team picking up three conference victories. Sure, Texas A&M is awful, Iowa State has to come to Manhattan, and you'd like to think that KSU could squeak out a surprise win against some other team like Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, or Missouri. But, given that Louisville and Louisiana have laid out a very simple blueprint on how to completely dismantle this defense (i.e. Run the football. Anywhere.), it seems like KSU is in trouble.
Last week, in my open letter to Coach Prince, I laid out very simple expectations that I think most KSU fans have for this program. Again, those expectations weren't even remotely met. Sure, style points don't matter when you're not jockeying for a spot in the BCS title game, but getting pimp slapped, two straight games in a row, by mediocre teams doesn't really pass muster.
Eight games are left in this season, and the competition is only going to get tougher. Let's see if this coaching staff, and this team, can raise the bar.
If they can't, God help us all, because we're going to get obliterated.
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WwlNPhn64TA" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">Popout
Tsar bomba (via kuroiso)

Man, RJE, I really appreciate this weekly thread, as it is the best shit on the net, or anywhere, for that matter.

Thanks

You'd have to be a masochist, RJ...

24 points in conference is a ton, even for a shitty team like A&M. If Okie State gets up and starts scoring, A&M may not be able to keep within the number.

However, A&m is 10-2 SU against the Cowpokes with an average score of 28-20. The last time Okie St won by 24+ was in 2003 when they beat A&M at College Station, 38-10.

Historical record (pay particular attention from 1996-Present as those games are in conference):

<table border="1"><tbody><tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10/6/2007</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">@</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Texas A&M (7-6)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">23</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">24</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10/21/2006</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">vs.</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Texas A&M (9-4)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">33</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">34</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10/15/2005</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">@</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Texas A&M (5-6)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">23</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">62</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10/16/2004</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">vs.</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Texas A&M (7-5)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">20</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">36</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10/25/2003</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">@</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Texas A&M (4-8)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">W</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">38</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">11/2/2002</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">vs.</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Texas A&M (6-6)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">W</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">28</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">23</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">9/22/2001</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">@</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Texas A&M (8-4)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">7</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">21</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">11/4/2000</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">vs.</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Texas A&M (7-5)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">16</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">21</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10/30/1999</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">@</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Texas A&M (8-4)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">3</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">21</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">10/31/1998</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">vs.</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Texas A&M (11-3)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">6</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">17</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">11/1/1997</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">@</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Texas A&M (9-4)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">25</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">28</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">11/2/1996</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">vs.</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">*Texas A&M (6-6)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">19</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">38</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">9/24/1988</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">vs.</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">Texas A&M (7-5)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">W</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">52</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">15</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">9/23/1983</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">@</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">Texas A&M (5-5-1)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">W</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">34</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">15</td></tr> <tr><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">12/12/1981</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">vs.</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">Texas A&M (7-5)</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">L</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">16</td><td align="right" bgcolor="#00ff00">33</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">@ Shreveport, LA</td><td bgcolor="#00ff00">Independence Bow</td></tr></tbody></table>

You'll note that the only years that Okie State beat A&M by more than 24 were 2003 and 1988.

How can you possibly use past history as a barometer for the TAMU-OSU game?

I always use past history to look at games. It's a good barometer in determining what actually happens in these games as, as weird as it seems, there is some institutional memory amongst the programs (USC not doing well in Corvallis for example, etc.).

How bad is this year's A&M team. Bad. Very bad. #1 reason why I haven't played them yet this week. Meanwhile the OSU offense is it's typical scary self and the defense looks slightly better than it's typical self (which means they give up like 28 ppg rather than 31 ppg).

So, is this year's team as bad or worse than the 2003 A&M team. I think they could be worse at this point in the season and the OSU team is DEFINITELY better than the 2003 team. Does that mean a blowout OSU victory? Not necessarily. If I was an A&M fan I'd be very nervous about this game as I'm not sure that the defense can hold down OSU and I'm not sure the offense can score enough to stay within the number.

Still looking at it, but this one is a possibility.

College Football Songbook is Full of Upsets

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball
Filed under: Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Mississippi, Oregon State, USC, Pac 10, FanHouse TV
The College Football Songbook is a weekly feature in which we'll be making as much fun as humanly possible of the most embarrassing moments in college football. Through words, music, and related video we'll leave a lasting memory implanted on the brains of the vanquished that they are not soon to forget.
Way too many upsets this week to just pick on one team. Seems like week five gave us a lot of the same last year as well.

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sw0NOvgsE0w&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout

</td><td class="ctr c">
</td><td class="cc c">6:26 AM (34 minutes ago)
Monday Headlinin': Desperate Tennessee opens it up

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-530176674-1222692761.jpg
We demand fresh blood for booing. It took three losses in four games -- and zero touchdown passes against any secondary not from UAB -- for Phil Fulmer to label Jonathan Crompton's production "unacceptable" and open up Tennessee's quarterback job for the coming week. Crompton will share snaps in practice with Nick Stephens, who, even if he hasn't actually outperformed Crompton at any point, has the distinct advantage of not having had the opportunity to suck yet in an actual game. Just because he won't be pelted with rotten fruit, roadkill and insulting YouTube productions as he comes out of the tunnel, Stephens will have every opportunity.Fulmer did deflect criticism for Saturday's decisive fumble-turned-Auburn-touchdown from Crompton to Arian Foster, saying Foster didn't make a wide enough pocket to take the handoff. That's not what CBS' cameras showed: announcer Gary Danielson pointed out convincingly that Crompton took his eye off his target and the ball slipped out of his hand before he guided it into Foster's gut. Not that Phil was in a position to see it all that clearly:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-254781600-1222692781.jpg
Auburn offensive coordinator Tony Franklin, meanwhile, says he'd boo him, too for the Tigers' equally putrid effort on offense. Whatever the "Tony Franklin Offense" is, it has to evolve after producing three offensive touchdowns in three SEC games. Chris Todd, however, will remain the starter even after yielding to Kodi Burns in the fourth quarter Saturday
There goes the neighborhood. A pair of potentially devastating injuries off Saturday's games: Washington's one-man offense, quarterback Jake Locker, broke his thumb trying to throw a block in the Huskies' coach-killing home loss to Stanford, which could sideline him for six weeks; and incredible disappearing man Knowshon Moreno couldn't leap over "a pretty good contusion on the elbow," according to Mark Richt, that might knock Moreno out of the Tennessee game in two weeks. Fellow UGA starters Dannell Ellerbe, Kris Durham and Tripp Chandler also all came out of the Alabama loss on the wrong side of "questionable" for the Vols.
Cal has its own issues, injury and otherwise: the Bears routed Colorado State, as expected, but may have lost running back Jahvid Best for Saturday against Arizona State, and may just be done with quarterback Kevin Riley after another lackluster effort against the Rams. He'll compete for the job this week with ex-starter Nate Longshore, who was better off the bench.
How's that victory feel the next morning, Ichabod? North Carolina got the better of Miami in the end, but Colin McCarthy made the Heels' Ryan Taylor hurt for it on a first quarter punt return, courtesy the Miami Herald:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-567647347-1222692807.jpg
Taylor does still have a head, I think (although I can't vouch for the return man's left leg below the knee).
Quickly ... South Carolina's Stephen Garcia turned heads in his first start against UAB, and should start again at Ole Miss. The Cocks may also look at a redshirt for injured receiver Kenny McKinley. . . . Michigan's 180-degree comeback against Wisconsin followed a fiery halftime speech by defensive tackle Terrance Taylor. . . . Todd Boeckman received a much friendlier welcome at Ohio Stadium off the bench, with the Buckeyes leading Minnesota 27-6. . . . Pitt's coaches made a startling discovery en route to a late comeback over Syracuse. . . . Oklahoma State is back in the polls for the first time in four years. . . . It might be time for Jaybo Shaw to take Georgia Tech's quarterbacking reigns from banged-up Josh Nesbitt. . . . How should UCLA feel about claiming moral victories against Fresno State? . . . And no biggie for USC's Taylor Mays -- he was just coughing up blood. He'll be fine.

Quarterback controversy? What quarterback controversy? Ohhh…THAT quarterback controversy September 29, 2008

Posted by Jai Eugene in SEC Football.
trackback
jinxedcopyik1.jpg
Jinxed

The psycho-drama continues:
“It brings out the best in me and I have every confidence in the world in myself that I’m going to be fine and I’m still going to be the guy,” Crompton said Sunday night. “That’s just how I go look at it.” Geez, you actually had to be the guy to continue BEING the guy, Numbnuts. I miss Ainge and his 31 TDs and his “mediocre” QB play, don’t you Cromptonites?
Who should be Tennessee’s starting quarterback?
B.J. Coleman 16% 639 votes
Jonathan Crompton 2% 105 votes
Gerald Jones 20% 802 votes
Nick Stephens 58% 2311 votes
Other 3% 125 votes
3982 total votes
When Tennessee takes the field Saturday, it just might have a new starting quarterback.
Or maybe not.
Following Jonathan Crompton’s continued struggles in a 14-12 loss at Auburn on Saturday, UT coach Phillip Fulmer said backup quarterback Nick Stephens will split first-team snaps with Crompton during practice this week in an effort to determine who will start Saturday against Northern Illinois (TV: Pay-per-view, 7 p.m.).
“I’d much rather the guy we anticipated being the starter play well and execute like we want,” Fulmer said during his weekly teleconference Sunday. “But that’s not happening for us on a consistent basis right now. I think we have to take a look at our options.”
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/sep/28/quarterback-competition
Rumor is that Arian Foster has been benched too. Can’t become the all time rushing leader if you don’t have the ball.
More below

One other change the Vols plan to make on offense is giving Montario Hardesty increased carries at running back and reducing Arian Foster’s role. They also want to get sophomore Lennon Creer more involved in the running game.
Foster, who needs 422 yards to become Tennessee’s all-time career rushing leader, was involved in a fumble at the goal line against Auburn where he didn’t get the handoff cleanly from Crompton. The Tigers recovered for one of their two touchdowns.
http://myespn.go.com/blogs/sec
20419wcopykp9.jpg
The grass is greener for Bunnies

Had this one capped right, except we didn't figure on L-ville, Kragthorpe, and Cantwell having the will to lose when they outgained UConn 508 to 279.

</td><td class="ctr c">
</td><td class="cc c">5:25 AM (1 hour ago)
Connecticut 26, Louisville 21

from Card Chronicle by Mike Rutherford
Sigh. The weekend's over, it's time to face this one.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
If I said "I don't understand how we just lost that game" - or some slight variation - one time Friday night, I said it 20 times. Three days later I still have no handle on how it happened. Of course this is what fans of UConn victims have been saying for the past two years.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
It's not a debate anymore, Vic Anderson is the real deal. If I could have frozen time the moment he caught the dump pass from Cantwell near the end of the first half, I would have put the odds of him getting into the endzone at no better than 10:1. He has the potential to be very special.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
I have my doubts over whether or not a quarterback unable to move well enough to make a simple handoff should be taking snaps with the game on the line, but I suppose you have to listen to a senior leader when he says he can go. Bum ankle or not, there's no excuse for Hunter making that throw, especially given the amount of time he had.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Josh Chichester's good is still outweighing his bad, but both are unquestionably present. Cantwell was definitely too keyed in on the big man after the first quarter, a habit which likely cost us six points when he missed a wide open Brock Bolen down the right sideline.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Awesome to see Bilal finally break out. The prospects of an Anderson/Powell backfield for the next two seasons might be the biggest thing this program has going for it.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Penalties absolutely killed us. Earl Heyman's questionable roughing the passer led to a Husky score, Abdul Kuyateh's second false start turned a crucial 3rd and 2 into a 3rd and 7, and I'm pretty sure at least one of the 52 not enough men on the line of scrimmage infractions was costly. The final tally shows just seven flags for 60 yards, but the severity of almost all of them made it feel like much more.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Donald Brown is a future pro, and he deserves more Heisman pub than he's receiving.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
I don't understand how the secondary continually allows the middle of the field to exist uncovered. I realize that English was bringing Thomas or Buchanan up to help out against the run, but there were three or four plays where the Connecticut receiver camping out between the hashes didn't have a defender within ten yards of him. That just can't happen.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Me thinks Zach Frazer was the better option at QB for UConn all along. If he can keep opposing secondaries at least semi-honest, then this could be a team the nation sees being blown out in a BCS game.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
I'm going to go ahead and step up and take a solid chunk of the blame for this one. I left the hat I'd worn for the Tennessee Tech and Kansas State games over at a friend's house a couple of weekends ago, and ended up being forced to go with my number two. I was worried about this from the day's outset, and I think it's safe to say that my fears were confirmed.
I don't blame you, Stoudt.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
It's not really his fault, but the ten minutes of cliche after cliche being hurled in a monotone voice that is the Steve Kragthorpe postgame interview is almost impossible to take after a loss like Friday's. A tipsy friend in the backseat of our car hopelessly said, "I can't take it, turn it off" at least three times while Krags was busy delivering the script any one of us could prepare at this point.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
The three fourth-down attempts blew my mind. I realize that Dougherty still isn't 100%, but how are we ever going to know what his ceiling is if we never trot him out there? Kragthorpe said the wind was the biggest factor in each of the decisions, but the wind was at U of L's back the third time. Making the move even less understandable is the fact that Cantwell had just left the game, and the only other option besides trying the 42 or 43 yarder was apparently a draw play on 4th and six. Opting not to take three hurt us badly in a couple of games last year (hey, Syracuse), and it might have cost us the game Friday night.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Being removed of placekicking duties did not help Chris Philpott on kickoffs. Desi Cullen, on the other hand, was a huge weapon for the Huskies. Wonder where the hell they found him.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Doug Beaumont: still awesome.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
It's not an original complaint, but I had some serious issues with the music on Friday. Playing nothing for five minutes and then blasting the beginning of a song for three seconds before play resumes is frustrating, as is the choice of "Highway to the Dangerzone" in the moments leading up to the biggest offensive play of the game. Full blame for that interception goes to Loggins.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
I came scary close to throwing my second-string hat when the deadball timeout was called.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
The play worked, but I don't understand not using a lead-blocker on third and short, especially one as capable as Joe Tronzo.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Hope that joint was great, Matt.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Dexter Heyman may have made the most impressive defensive play of the season thus far when he came flying out of nowhere to keep Donald Brown from getting the corner and prancing into the endzone. When I saw the play developing, I didn't think there was any way one of our guys was going to be able to get there.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Chris Campa also deserves a shout-out for flying around the field and throwing some weight around all night. Sans a bad offsides penalty, Mo Mitchell was another standout.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
Serious question: was Anderson's return to the 25 after he botched the initial catch the longest kick return we've had all season? I can't remember any better.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
The Connecticut player waving bye to the crowd and doing the international sign for "shh" after Cantwell's last interception is almost less cool than Larry Taylor. Almost.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
A bye week, and then at Memphis on a Friday night followed by a Saturday home game against Middle Tennessee. The city's not exactly going to be buzzing for the first 3/4 of October...hopefully, I suppose.
LouisvilleCardinals3.gif
508-279. Son of a bitch.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Who's Hot & Not ... SEC East, Oklahoma State </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
598920.jpg

Rice WR Jarett Dillard
</td> <td width="3" nowrap="nowrap">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 29, 2008
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

From the record-setting duo of Chase Clement to Jarett Dillard, to Washington State vs. BCS teams, to the Kentucky defense, here's Who's Hot and Who's Not.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]Who's Hot & Not - Week 5[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][/FONT][SIZE=-1]Past Hot and Not: 2007 Hot & Not[/SIZE] | Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
Who’s Hot …
Rice QB Chase Clement & WR Jarett Dillard
Clement has thrown for 1,427 yards and 14 touchdowns with just three interceptions, and he has rushed for 283 yards and five scores. Dillard has caught 39 passes for 532 yards and ten scores, and has caught 244 career passes for 3,360 yards and 50 touchdowns. The two have set the NCAA record for
combining for the most career touchdowns hooking up 42 times to break the record of Louisiana Tech's Tim Rattay and Troy Edwards. Rice plays Tulsa this week.

Connecticut RB Donald Brown
The junior leads the nation in rushing with 906 yards and 11 touchdowns. He's averaging 6.2 yards per carry and is averaging 181 yards per game with 146 and four scores against Hofstra, 214 yards and a score against Temple, 206 yards and three touchdowns against Virginia, 150 yards and two touchdowns against Baylor, and 190 yards and a touchdown against Louisville. UConn plays North Carolina this week. The Tar Heels are 65th in the nation against the run.

Oklahoma StateThe Cowboys have scored 55 points or more in the last three games and lead the nation in rushing averaging 340 yards per game. They're also leading the nation in punt returns thanks to Dez Bryant, who has caught 22 passes for 444 yards and six scores including three touchdowns in the shocking 55-24 win over Troy and its great defense. Next up is Texas A&M.

LSU RB Charles Scott

A little used back last year, Scott has been the steadying force in the Tiger offense rushing for 160 yards and two touchdowns against Appalachian State, 102 yards and two scores against North Texas, 122 yards against Auburn, and last week, 141 yards and two touchdowns against Mississippi State. The SEC's leading rusher faces Florida in two weeks.

Kentucky defense
Who needs an offense? Kentucky has allowed a grand total of 22 points this year giving up two points to Louisville, three to Norfolk State, 14 to Middle Tennessee and three to Western Kentucky. The Wildcats also lead the nation in kickoff returns. Next up is Alabama.
Who’s Not …The SEC East vs. the SEC WestTalk about your power shifts, it was all about the West over the East this weekend with Ole Miss stunning Florida, Auburn beating Tennessee, and Alabama beating Georgia. The East’s lone win over the West so far was Vanderbilt’s victory over Ole Miss. This week there are four interdivision matchups. Kentucky faces Alabama, South Carolina goes to Ole Miss, Auburn goes to Vanderbilt, and Florida faces Arkansas.

Washington State vs. BCS teams
Washington State beat Portland State 48-9. Against Oklahoma State, California, Baylor and Oregon, the Cougars lost all four by a total of 213 to 47, or an average of 53 to 12. UCLA is up next.
Wyoming's passing game
Isn't there a Bramlet around there somewhere? Wyoming is dead last in the nation in passing efficiency, completing 51 percent of their passes for 537 yards with two touchdowns and ten interceptions. The Cowboys have the third worst scoring offense in America, the fifth worst total offense, and the sixth worst passing game. Fortunately, New Mexico is up next. The Lobos have the worst pass efficiency defense in the Mountain West and are allowing 287 passing yards per game.

Iowa State punting vs. Kansas punt returners
Something to watch out for in this week's Iowa State battle with Kansas will be the punting game. KU is 13th in the nation, and second in the Big 12, averaging 18.5 yards per punt return thanks to Daymond Patterson. Meanwhile, Iowa State has the worst punt coverage team in America allowing 26 yards per return. That's twice as many yards as 90 other teams allow per return.

Service academy passing games
So much for balance. Navy is 117th in the nation in passing offense, Army is 118th, and Air Force is dead last averaging 57 yards per game. By comparison, Wyoming, who is 114th in the nation, is averaging 107 yards per game. Of course, there's a flip side to that. Navy is second in the nation in rushing, Air Force is sixth, and Army is 24th. Navy and Air Force play this week.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">Pac 10 Things We Learned This Week </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Dan Greenspan

Posted Sep 29, 2008

The importance of ignoring BCS disaster scenarios, not giving teams another shot at the end zone and getting a better TV contact among the ten trends and topics from week five in the Pac-10 conference.
-The First Rule of Fight Club is You Do Not Talk About Fight Club
Remember last Thursday night when USC’s title hopes were dead and buried?

Exactly 48 hours after losing to Oregon State, they were alive again as then-No. 3 Georgia, No. 4 Florida and No. 9 Wisconsin were also bit by the upset bug.

The Trojans landed at No. 9 in both polls with six of the teams in front of them set to play one another this season and a possible Oklahoma-Missouri meeting in the Big XII title game. Penn State has to go to Ohio State and BYU has an intense rivalry game with Utah to end the season.

After five weeks last season, Cal, Wisconsin, Boston College, Florida, Kentucky and South Florida were all in the top 10. None of them finished there or even made a BCS bowl.

In short, save the doomsday scenarios until Thanksgiving.

-Well, There’s Something You Don’t See Everyday
The Pac-10 salvaged a little pride by finally beating a team from the Mountain West with Cal’s 42-7 win over Colorado State, but that 35 point margin of victory belies just how putrid the Bears offense has been in its last two games.

Tailback Jahvid Best suffered a dislocated elbow and is out for Saturday’s crucial showdown with Arizona State. Redshirt sophomore quarterback Kevin Riley completed exactly three passes to wide receivers before getting unceremoniously replaced. There were fumbles and drops and just plain bad execution.

Take away a blocked punt, interception return and punt return for touchdowns and Cal edges a team that struggled against Sacramento State and Houston by just two scores.

If a week off couldn’t right the Bears’ wrongs, what will an ASU team looking to salvage its season do?

-The Improbable Return of Nate Longshore
The senior quarterback suddenly finds himself back in the thick of things after Riley’s 6-for-13 stink bomb against the Rams.

What a fitting bit of irony it would be if he saved Cal’s season – the next five games are against ASU, Arizona, UCLA, Oregon – after being blamed for last year’s collapse?

-An Offense Found, the Battle Lost
UCLA finally scored an offensive touchdown – three of them, actually – as running back Kahlil Bell returned from injury, but one critical coaching error set off a chain reaction in the 36-31 loss to Fresno State.

Coach Rick Neuheisel elected to accept a holding penalty on third down in the red zone, giving the Bulldogs another bite at a touchdown. His decision made it third and 22 at the Bruins 25 and Ryan Matthews promptly took a screen pass for a touchdown.

UCLA committed fouls on the ensuing kickoff and following play, went three and out and gave up another touchdown.

Game over.

-Who’s Got Next?
Kevin Craft is a stopgap solution for UCLA, that much has been confirmed after four games.

So what happens next year? The only viable options are freshmen Kevin Prince and Nick Crissman and touted recruit Richard Brehaut, but Prince is LDS and had previously expressed interest in taking a church mission.

Will Neuheisel and Norm Chow be willing to turn the offense over to a young pup with a still iffy supporting cast? To be determined.

-One Way to Win
Stanford rolled up 244 yards rushing in its 35-28 victory at Washington, allowing QB Tavita Pritchard to serve as a game manager.

Pritchard was efficient, completing 16 of 24 passes for 222 yards and three touchdowns. It was only the second time this season he posted a quarterback rating over 100, the other being the opening night win over Oregon State.

The effectiveness of the running game, even after Toby Gerhart went down early with a concussion, keeps Cardinal bowl hopes alive.

-The Official End of the Willingham Era
On the other sideline of Husky Stadium, it was dynamic quarterback Jake Locker who went down in the first half.

His broken thumb will keep him out for six weeks, and though backup Ronnie Fouch played well in Locker’s absence, the injury guarantees Washington won’t reach six wins and a postseason berth.

-Who’s Got Next, Coaching Edition
Do you select the next UW coach to build on Locker’s skills, or transition to a pro-style offense?

That question could determine how much play Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian get in a coaching search.

Others that should be on any short list: Mike Leach of Texas Tech and Chris Petersen of Boise State.

-Unstoppable Force versus Movable Object
USC allowed 5.0 yards per carry to a 5-foot-6 tailback.

Oregon rushed for 346 yards on 53 carries against Washington State.

Figured out the storyline for Saturday’s make-or-break game at the Coliseum yet?

-Can You See Me? Can You Hear Me?
Said it before, say it again – the Pac-10 has the absolute worst TV contract in college football.

On Saturday, there were no nationally televised games. Even in Los Angeles, the only two games available were Fresno State-UCLA and Stanford-Washington, which was picked up by the local FSN affiliate.

Compare that to three Big Ten and SEC games available on basic cable and it’s clear the new Pac-10 commissioner’s top priority needs to be making the conference a national entity once again.

Sorry but USC losing doesn’t count as exposure.</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle">5 Thoughts ... Hokie, Hokie, Hi </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
598921.jpg

Virginia Tech QB Tyrod Taylor
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td valign="middle" nowrap="nowrap">By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Sep 29, 2008

Does BYU really deserve to be in the national title discussion, and will it be a shock if it's playing in Miami on January 8th? That, and two of the better under-the-radar teams to come from this weekend, including Tyrod Taylor's Virginia Tech, in this week's 5 Thoughts.
5 Thoughts ... Sept. 29
Five Thoughts: 2007 Thoughts | Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
Utah Might Have Something To Say About This, Too.[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]
1. After a breathtaking weekend of upsets and shockers, one thing was proven among all else.

You can’t be in a non-BCS league and play for the national title.

I know, I know, I’m the one yelling to anyone who’ll listen that if everything is equal, this year, the Mountain West champion probably deserves to be given every consideration for the big games ahead of the Pac 10 champion, but there’s simply no comparison to the week-in-week-out grind the big league teams have to go through when the intensity of conference games gets ramped up to 11. That was NOT the same Oregon State team that showed up against Penn State.

If you want an eight-team playoff with the six BCS league champions, the top non-BCS league team, and one at-large spot given to the highest ranked team left on the board, count me in. But if you’re telling me that a team like BYU or Utah would be in the national title chase if it were in any of the BCS leagues, I’m just not buying it.

Can BYU play with, or beat, anyone in America? In a one-game shot, absolutely. There’s no question that BYU or Utah or Boise State or Fresno State, on the right day, could beat Oklahoma, Alabama or LSU. And of course BYU could beat Ole Miss at home or Oregon State in Corvallis. Could the Cougars go unscathed against Tennessee at Tennessee, Ole Miss, LSU, Kentucky, Georgia (on a neutral site), at Vanderbilt, South Carolina and at Florida State, and then maybe beat Alabama or LSU (in other words, the tough games on Florida’s schedule)? No way. And the same goes for any BCS team’s schedule. If BYU needed to come up with a few huge plays to get by a miserable Washington team, what would it need to do to get by Michigan State in East Lansing, or Oregon in Eugene, or South Florida in Tampa in the meat and grind of a conference campaign?

It sounds like a simple (and yes, elitist) concept, but it’s an important one we’ll have to deal with going forward because BYU is currently seventh in the Coaches’ Poll. Already in a slot to earn a spot in a BCS game, if the Cougars keep on winning, because pollsters are loathe to move teams who win down, the climb up the charts will be swift.

Oklahoma and Texas play in two weeks, so one of those two will likely fall below an unbeaten BYU. Missouri plays Texas on October 18<sup>th</sup>, so one of those two would drop. LSU and Alabama play on November 8<sup>th</sup>, and Penn State has to go to Wisconsin and to Ohio State before the end of October. Just by beating Utah State, New Mexico, TCU, UNLV, Colorado State and San Diego State, BYU would be almost certain to be one of just two, at most, unbeaten teams currently ranked in the top seven by mid-November with road games at Air Force and Utah to go. I think that road trip to TCU is a beartrap, but if that’s your one game to worry about before November 15<sup>th</sup>, Merry Christmas.

By comparison, over that same stretch before mid-November, Missouri has to play at Nebraska, Oklahoma State, at Texas, Colorado, at Baylor, and Kansas State. LSU, the nation’s No. 2 team, has to play at Florida, at South Carolina, Georgia, Tulane, and Alabama. If you really want to get unfair, No. 5 Texas has to play at Colorado, Oklahoma, Missouri, Oklahoma State, at Texas Tech, and Baylor, before going to Kansas on November 15<sup>th</sup>.

Could BYU beat each of those teams on those schedules? Sure. Could BYU handle the cumulative effect of all those games in a row? No way. Almost no one can.

However, Don't Be Surprised ... [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By [/FONT][/SIZE] Richard Cirminiello[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2][/FONT][/SIZE]
2. Here we go again. Sure, there were plenty of surprises this past weekend, but please tell me you weren’t shocked that three of the top four and nine overall ranked teams went down to defeat since last Thursday. If so, where were you last fall? This is where we’re at in college football, a time when no one is safe and parity has swept through the country like a tropical storm. Get used to it because it’s not changing. Not now, and not in the near future.

We’re only five weeks into the season, yet the maximum number of BCS unbeatens we can have is already down to four. That figure is going to dwindle with time, and the likelihood that there are no perfect teams in early December is very strong. The biggest beneficiary? How about BYU, the 410-pound Cougar in the room? Attrition is going to take a bite out of the big boys over the next two months. Oklahoma still must play Texas and Texas Tech. Alabama hosts LSU on Nov. 8. Penn State must go on the road to Wisconsin and Ohio State in October. All the while, BYU, now No. 8 in the AP poll, will climb closer to one of the top two spots, creating a ferocious national debate that’ll make the folks in Provo swear. The Cougars still have a pair of brutal road games at TCU and Utah, but they’re good enough to win both, and the overall success of the Mountain West this season is going to help with strength of schedule. In other words, don’t be blown away if BYU earns a trip to the title game in Miami. At the end of September, Duke, Vanderbilt, and Northwestern are 12-1 combined. Nothing should surprise you.

Oh Yeah, Virginia Tech.
By Richard Cirminiello

While it’s sure to get lost in a weekend that saw USC, Florida, and Georgia get upset, someone needs to point out that Frank Beamer is quietly doing one of the best coaching jobs of his brilliant career.

Saddled with a staggering dearth of skill position talent, wholesale changes on defense, and an opening day loss to East Carolina, he and his staff have rallied the Hokies to wins over Georgia Tech, North Carolina, and Nebraska. All of sudden, the program that was having dirt heaped on it less a month ago is the highest ranked ACC team and the favorite to repeat as league champion. Beamer moved swiftly after the first game, changing direction with sophomore QB Tyrod Taylor, who was slated to redshirt in 2008. The decision has been the difference in Tech’s turnaround, especially in Saturday’s unexpected win in Lincoln. In the face of a roaring sea of red that was looking for a coronation, Taylor helped lead the Hokies to 35 points, their biggest output of the season. With Western Kentucky and a bye week up next, Virginia Tech will have come full circle in time for a rugged four-game stretch that’ll define its postseason fate.

Forget about blue-chip recruits and storied histories. College football success has been and always will be about the men on the sidelines and in the coaching booths. Frank Beamer has proven that once again over the past four weeks.

Or Maybe Ole Miss And Oregon State Dominated On The Lines.

By Matthew Zemek

4. Does anyone need any more evidence to understand why mental toughness is the most important factor in all of college football?

Does anyone need any more explanation, after this weekend, in order to understand why one week's seemingly discouraging performance against Little Sisters of the Poor Valley State Poly Tech has very little, if anything, to do with the following week's hugely-hyped contest against the AP No. 5 team?

Does anyone require further proof, after this weekend, as to why one week's awesome performance against Big Boy University can and will be followed up by a clunker against a lowly loser or lucky lurker on the college football scene?

Does anyone, after this weekend, now see why the terms "hangover game," "look-ahead game," "letdown," "ambush," "trap," "sandwich," and others are rightly entrenched in this beautifully baffling sport's lexicon?

If you're only looking at pure talent and pure technique and pure physical ability, you're only seeing half of this sport, maybe even less. To ignore fluctuations in performance, which are caused by the fragility of the human organism--especially among the ranks of hyperactive, hormonally volatile 19- and 20-year-old males playing a sport that requires them to act a little crazy--is to, flatly and factually, ignore the 139-year history of college football.

If you've ever knocked the centrality of psychology--in college football or, for that matter, any other sport--you don't have to knock it anymore.

And Gary Barnett Is Nowhere To Be Found. By Steve Silverman [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2] [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif] 5. Lost in all the wackiness and excitement of the last weekend was one of the best stories no one is noticing ... Northwestern.[/FONT]
No, the unbeaten Wildcats aren't going to be in the hunt for the national championship and will likely be out of the Big Ten title chase soon, but that shouldn't undermine the turnaround done by one of college football's youngest head coaches just a few years removed from Randy Walker's tragic death.

Pat Fitzgerald has shown that he's learned quite a bit about coaching now that he’s in his third year on the job. Now he's getting the most out of his team.

When Northwestern has been competitive in recent years, they've been good-to-great on offense and forgotten about defense. This year’s team plays defense and provides just enough offense to get the job done holding Iowa scoreless in the second half to come back from a 17-3 deficit late in the second quarter for the 22-17 win. The Wildcat defense recovered four fumbles and also had an interception led by safety Brad Phillips, who forced a Shonn Greene fumble that was recovered by defensive tackle Corbin Bryant in the fourth quarter. The hit knocked Greene out of the game. Wildcat middle linebacker Michael Arrington said the Hawkeyes were a “much different team” after that.

The Wildcats are 5-0 for the first time since 1962. They may not stay that way after Michigan State comes calling on Oct. 11, but they won’t go faintly into the night. They are a hard-hitting and punishing team that doesn’t care what anyone thinks. They just want to hit, and they're just finding ways to win.

</td><td class="ctr c">
</td><td class="cc c">8:26 AM (14 minutes ago)
Nick Saban does not believe in garbage time, mercy, celebration, ice cream or puppy love

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-734883834-1222699955.jpg
Nick Saban comes straight from Emperor Bill Belichick's Dark Side Academy for Gifted and Stone-Faced Coaches, where molders of men develop their penchant for the hybrid 4-3/3-4 defense, scowling, 23-hour days, pushing down slower children on sidewalks (to identify speed in future recruits, of course) and causing flowers to wilt when walking into a room. Clearly, after Saban's team ripped off a flawless first half and choked Georgia's feeble comeback thrust in its crib Saturday to secure Alabama's biggest win in 15 years, the protegé has perfected the art of the sour mercenary:
Twice in his postgame media conference Saban banged his fist on the table, aftershocks of frustrations from some bad, if unimportant, play. He went on long tangents about mental strength. Every bit of praise was followed by twice the criticism. He frowned even more than usual.
“That is not how we want to play, that is not how we play and we should not be happy about that,” he said. “I hope we learn.”
He already had chewed out the team for five minutes in the locker room. (“He laid into us for a little bit,” smiled linebacker Cory Reamer.) He already had gone on and on about the dangers of embracing success. Later, in case the severity wasn’t understood, he would invoke a cult’s mass suicide.
At least one reporter had to be escorted from the room, stricken with mania after accidentally looking directly into Saban's eyes. Clearly terrified and bewildered players couldn't agree on the prepared response to question's about Saban's demeanor: did the Dark Lord wish to be portrayed as a cruel taskmaster, or did he want the gullible press to perceive him as vaguely hu-mahn?
There even were conflicting reports that he smiled in the victorious locker room.
“Yes, he smiled and told us he loved us,” Reamer said.
“No,” said cornerback Javier Arenas.
“Maybe,” laughed quarterback John Parker Wilson.
“I’m excited,” said Saban, looking not the least bit excited.
For insubordination in suggesting levity and affection in the midst of battle, Reamer has not been seen since early Sunday morning. Hours later, the Manchurian Candidate Wilson underwent double brain-washing sessions in which he was forced to repeatedly watch his entire performance in last year's loss to Mississippi State set to heavily distorted Cannibal Corpse. Somewhere, a wolf howled, an infant cried, vultures circled overhead and the ADT Trophy involuntarily shivered.

Mack looks ahead: "Things are going to pick up now"

from Bevo Beat
Mack Brown said he told his players Sunday that “things are going to pick up now.” That starts Saturday in Boulder.
Brown noted that Colorado knocked off Oklahoma in Boulder last year on this same weekend.
He expressed some concern that his team hasn’t been involved in a close game yet, but he noted, “Last year, we were in all close games, and it wasn’t healthy. This team hasn’t been tested as much as we’d like. The 2005 team wasn’t tested and played well.”
He’s not concerned about Boulder’s 5,400 elevation, saying the altitude did not have an effect on Texas’ last two trips there.
“Getting off the plane and playing a game, altitude isn’t going to be a problem. We’re not going on vacation,” Brown said.

Ogbonnaya, Cobb enter fullback mix

from Bevo Beat
A week after mocking a reporter’s suggestion that Texas might mask its tight end concerns by running more I-formation, Mack Brown said Monday that he’d wanted to run more, ahem, I-formation in Saturday’s game but didn’t around to it.
With fullback Luke Tiemann suffering a season-ending knee injury on a non-contact play on a kickoff, Brown mentioned that he’ll look at mixing Chris Ogbonnaya and Antwan Cobb in at fullback. Of course, Texas uses a fullback about once every full moon.
Cody Johnson is listed atop the depth chart at fullback, but he has been seeing plenty of action at tailback.
Brown noted that Johnson is playing much better than expected at tailback, and he said that “the numbers might not show it, but we thought Vondrell McGee played his best game Saturday.”

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kWkIx3BLQCw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kWkIx3BLQCw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/o7zTselUuB8&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/o7zTselUuB8&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back