CFB Week 14 (11/25-11/29) T&A, News, & Picks

perception is in the eye of the beholder...but they didn't get any "style points" with me...not that my opinion matters.
they played very good defense, minus a couple of plays. but (more so in the 1H) their offense made tamu look like a pretty decent defense.

and yes...to be honest, i'm a sore loser with that team total...but personally i'd prefer to see them in a secondary BCS bowl...like against USC...or the Bama/Florida loser. will be a much better matchup, imho.

perception is in the eye of the beholder...but they didn't get any "style points" with me...not that my opinion matters.
they played very good defense, minus a couple of plays. but (more so in the 1H) their offense made tamu look like a pretty decent defense.

and yes...to be honest, i'm a sore loser with that team total...but personally i'd prefer to see them in a secondary BCS bowl...like against USC...or the Bama/Florida loser. will be a much better matchup, imho.

The argument now has to be that NOBODY has held A&M under 10 this year. Remember, Aggy put up 20+ on OU and Tech.

Offensively, I put most of the blame on Greg Davis' playcalling. Why he decided to keep running the ball against a good run defense rather than pass in 4 and 5 wideout sets against the 110th ranked pass D is beyond most fans.

Everyone was pissed when Chiles came in. I mean, the stadium booed loudly. They wanted to keep pouring it on. Mack in his postgame said Colt wanted to stay in but the coaches decided to pull him. In Chiles' 2nd series, I was literally standing up yelling to put Colt back in--just before Cody Johnson's 60 yard run.

Yeah, nice playcalling on Chiles' 2nd series. Hand off to Cody Johnson. Repeat as necessary.

In his post-game, Mack said that they took Colt out due to sportsmanship and if the NCAA is going to ignore sportsmanship for style points and the difference between getting in is 63 or 56 rather than 49, then the system is more screwed up than we think.

Unfortunately we all know the system is more screwed up than we think.

Untitled-1%2Bcopy.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kbZDnpDVEsg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kbZDnpDVEsg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

ON PHILLIP FULMER'S LAST GAME AS A TENNESSEE VOLUNTEER: A FINAL TRIBUTE TO THE PAPA

from Rocky Top Talk by Joel

The first thing I think of when I think of Phillip Fulmer isn't some Fulmerism or fark, it's a moving image of him intervening on the sideline with an angry Jason Witten in 2001, who was storming his way to the bench after something like his third key dropped pass against rival Florida. Fulmer didn't pounce on him, didn't chew him out, and didn't even drill him with a disapproving scowl. Instead, he grabbed Witten, hugged his neck, and spoke what appeared to be words of encouragement directly into the earhole of his helmet. His message, we later learned, was exactly what it looked like: "Keep your head up, Jason. You're going to be fine, and we're going to need you."
This is the reason they don't generally let fans on the sideline. Those clad in orange in the stands and watching at home were ready to rip Witten's helmet off head and all after he'd squandered yet another scoring opportunity. Yet there was Fulmer, building yet another young man into an NFL talent with honor, integrity, and character. Right in the midst of an all-important struggle against a hated rival, with everything on the line, Fulmer was first and foremost growing young boys into men.
Because that's what he was all about. The 2008 Tennessee media guide puts it like this:
Yet Fulmer’s most cherished responsibility centers around the teaching and guidance of young student-athletes. He has built Tennessee football on a platform of “Family First” – something UT’s players and coaches say is this program’s greatest attribute. And while his on-field accomplishments – like advancing the Vols to the 2007 SEC Championship Game and claiming 10 wins for the ninth time in 15 full seasons – have obvious allure, it’s the personal relationships that register most sincerely for Tennessee’s native son.​
Despite numerous attempts to define him otherwise, that is Phillip Fulmer. It's why his coaching staff was the epitome of stability for so many years, why John Chavis struggled and failed earlier this week to contain the sobs when saying he had no regrets at turning down multiple opportunities to coach in the NFL because all he really wanted was to work for a guy like Phillip Fulmer. It's why players from all over the nation have come to a town of 180,000 people to play in a stadium that seats 106,000. It's why, when the Grim Reaper was knocking at his door last year, his former players bought a full page ad in the local paper to publicly show him support. It's why his current players refused to make room for members of the media at the forced resignation press conference so that they could sit front and center, so that their coach would see them and not some unfeeling camera when he looked up from his tear-stained notes. He'd been there for them, so now they would be here for him.
While he was training thousands of young men into adulthood through the vehicle of organized football, Fulmer was also providing millions of fans like me some of their most fond memories. You remember all of those games in 1998, when the team marched through time to a perfect season and the first BCS National Championship, right? Fulmer gave us that. You remember the 2001 game against Florida, when everything was on the line and Travis Stephens ran over, around, through, up, down, and on the Florida Gators? You remember the six overtime win over Arkansas in 2002, which was finally completed some time Sunday morning with Witten standing in the end zone and pointing to the sky just before being buried by the remainder of his team? You remember taking that South Florida swagger and stuffing it down Miami's throat in 2003? How about the five overtime victory over Alabama in 2003? Or James Wilhoit running around the field screaming his head off like a little kid after making good on his chance at redemption against the Gators in 2004? Even the Season of Which We Do Not Speak included the Rally in the Valley, when Fulmer gave Rick Clausen — The Rudy of the New Millennium, Nobody’s All-Americanhis chance at redemption, which led to one of the greatest comebacks in Tennessee football history.
Around here, we've been calling 2008 the Season of Constant Sorrow. It's really not just the losses and the difficulties the team has experienced on offense. It's the fracturing of the fanbase and the end of an era for a good man who simply could not find any peaks among the valleys this time around. But even the divided fanbase had to be moved by Fulmer's announcement that this season would be his last:
<center> <embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/DfYMrvGft40&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349">Popout </center> That scene spurred a wide range of emotions not only from his players, but also from fans in the blogosphere, who said it was everything from sad to heartbreaking to near torture to treasonous. For me, seeing the backs of all of those players' heads just brought that image to mind again of Fulmer encouraging Witten on the sidelines. For Fulmer, the winning was important, but it was always secondary to the tradition of growing young men into adults. I know I've said this several times already in this space, but I can't get the idea out of my head that Phillip Fulmer is just like Tevye from Fiddler on the Roof:
Yes, coach Fulmer was The Papa, a guy who'd been hugging history and tradition so tightly that it had become both his greatest strength and his greatest weakness. He had voluntarily assumed the role as the proverbial salt of the earth, the individual charged with preserving the way things were, the guy who was constantly reminding his peers of the good old days, the paternal old crank who, whether you wanted him to or not, took it upon himself to shield and protect you from the decomposition that too often follows forgetting where you're from.
Yeah, that was him, bucking and bridling and otherwise resistant to any change that threatened to intrude into his cozy corner of the community. Yet he was also the guy who, after undoubtedly hashing things out by way of a conflicted internal monologue, ultimately acquiesced to the inevitable with an endearing civility you had come to expect from him.
No, he will never, ever be comfortable with any change, much less this. He will bristle and cajole and attempt to convince you that you are in error, but in the end he will gracefully allow you to choose your own way. And like any good parent, teacher, mentor, or leader, his countenance may falter as he watches that which he has reared now make its way into the wilderness without him, but he will console himself with hopes and prayers that his relentlessly gentle admonitions to choose rightly, to choose Tradition and Honor and Character, have taken root in the next generation.
Or, as bobo_the_vol put it in this week's haiku:
<center> Some remember Phil
For the past couple of years
And forget the good.

Me? I barely know
Of Manning, the Golden Age
of UT football.

I will always see
“And pandemonium reigns”
When I think of thee.

It seemed destiny
When “he stumbled and fumbled”,
We held the crystal.

Seek Phil’s legacy
In the eyes of his players
Game Ball goes to Phil.

</center>​
I said it yesterday in the Thanksgiving post, but I'll say it here again. Thank you to The Papa, Chief, and the coaching staff and players, for risking failure, for taking up the yoke of stress so that the rest of us can shed it for a few brief moments during the week and a few hours on Saturdays in the fall. Tomorrow will be the last game in your storied career as head coach of the Tennessee Volunteers. It will be Phillip Fulmer Day.
And as it should be, you will have the final word at home.
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6AM1yionvJU&hl=en&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01&border=1" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="never" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349">Popout
<table border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2" width="460"> <tbody> <tr bgcolor="#ff9900"> <td colspan="3">
PLAYING CAREER
</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Offensive Guard</td> <td>Tennessee</td> <td>1968-1971</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ff9900"> <td colspan="3">
COACHING CAREER
</td> </tr> <tr> <td> </td> <td>Tennessee</td> <td>1972-1973</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Offensive line, linebackers coach</td> <td>Wichita State</td> <td>1974-1978</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Assistant coach</td> <td>Vanderbilt</td> <td>1979</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Assistant coach</td> <td>Tennessee</td> <td>1980-1988</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Offensive coordinator</td> <td>Tennessee</td> <td>1989-1991</td> </tr> <tr> <td>Head coach</td> <td>Tennessee</td> <td>1992-2008</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ff9900"> <td colspan="3">
COACHING HONORS
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">Regional Coach of the Year (AFCA Region 2)</td> <td>1993</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">National Coach of the Year (FWAA, AFCA, The Sporting News, Maxwell Football Club)</td> <td>1998</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">SEC Coach of the Year (Coaches, AP)</td> <td>1998</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">State Farm Eddie Robinson National Coach of Distinction Award</td> <td>1999</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">Tennessee Sports Hall of Fame</td> <td>2001</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2">Knoxville Sports Hall of Fame</td> <td>2008</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ff9900"> <td colspan="3">
ACHIEVMENTS AS TENNESSEE'S HEAD COACH
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
  • National Championship in 1998
  • SEC Championships in 1997 and 1998
  • SEC East Titles in 1993, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2003, 2004, and 2007
  • 17 seasons
  • 151 wins
  • 15 bowl games
  • 90 NFL Draft Picks
  • First team to post 13 wins in a single season
  • A 45-5 record from 1995 to 1998, the most victories over a four-year span in school history
  • Six seasons concluded in the Top 10, 13 seasons in the Top 25
  • 17 first-team All-Americans
  • 16 first-round NFL selections and 90 NFL Draft Picks. The team's five first-day 2007 NFL Draft Picks werer the most of any school, and UT has led the SEC with the most players on day one each of the last two seasons.
</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ff9900"> <td colspan="3">
MISCELLANEOUSISHY STUFF
</td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
  • In Fulmer's time as head coach, more than 10,000,000 fans have passed through the turnstiles at Neyland Stadium.
  • National spokesperson for the Jason Foundation, Inc.
  • First recipient of the Grant Teaff Breaking the Silence Award.
  • Has served on the boards of directors for the Boys and Girls Clubs, American Football Coaches Association, Team Focus, and Child and Family Services.
  • Committed $1,000,000 to UT's Campaign for Tennessee in 2007.
</td> </tr> </tbody> </table>

Colt McCoy’s Girlfriend Rachel Glandorf Bikini Pics

<abbr class="published" title="2008-10-29T09:33:34+0000"><script type="text/javascript">document.write(time_since(1225287214, "October 29, 2008 - 9:33 am,"));</script>October 29, 2008 - 9:33 am,</abbr> By James - University of Texas
Last week we gave you the skinny on Colt McCoy’s sexy significant other Rachel Glandorf. We scoured the web for days on end, but the only pics we could uncover of this lovely lass were screen and head shots from her local TV gig and Baylor track and field team page. Well fortunately for you, our friends at deadspin have found the goods we’ve all been looking for. And I think it’s fair to say, Ms. Glandorf does a bikini good.

<table class="card"><tbody class="card-tbody"><tr><td class="cc c">The Iron Bowl Preview

from Roll 'Bama Roll by outsidethesidelines
I know we all just want to sit around and get real fat eating Ben & Jerry's while talking about what Perez Hilton just posted, but alas we do have a football game looming, and with that in mind here goes the Iron Bowl preview:

General Overview
To say that the 73rd Iron Bowl is one that no one really expected would be quite an understatement, to put it mildly. Coming into the season, most Alabama fans were merely looking for incremental signs of improvement in Nick Saban's second year at the Capstone, while on the other side of the state many felt that Auburn was poised for a big season. While Alabama was almost unanimously predicted to be third in the SEC West and in the 8-4 / 9-3 range, Auburn was the favorite to win the SEC West, and many people (myself included) felt that they could perhaps even make some noise on the national scene.
Sufficed to say, things haven't quite gone to plan for either team.
Far from incremental improvements, Alabama wasted no time re-exploding onto the national scene in year two of the Saban process, announcing their return immediately with thumpings of Clemson and Georgia. The returning players improved immensely, the much-ballyhooed recruiting class was every bit as good as advertised, if not better, and it ultimately showed on the field. After a strong season, Alabama now comes into the Iron Bowl in a manner that would have shocked even the most extreme of crimson homers... 11-0, undefeated, the unanimous number one team in the country, champions of the SEC West, and in complete control of a potential national championship destiny.
Auburn, on the other hand, has suffered the exact opposite fate. A couple of early season wins looked good enough, as did the first three quarters of the LSU game, but from there the season has been a complete and utter train wreck. After choking late to the Bayou Bengals, the losses came in bunches... Vandy, Arkansas, West Virginia, Ole Miss, you name it... the Tigers even struggled over lowly Tennessee-Martin. Finally, a close loss to Georgia on the Plains means that Auburn will come into the Iron Bowl with a losing record for the first time in almost ten years. Simply put, anything that could have gone wrong for the Tigers this year has gone wrong.
For Alabama, the stakes are clear. A potential national championship is clearly on the line, but for the players, this game is in many ways about more than just that. Being quite frank, as I have said before, the Auburn game is a bit of a meaningless game for us in the sense that it really should have no impact on our post-season destination... you beat Florida and you go to the national championship game, you lose to Florida and you go to the Sugar Bowl, and both of those scenarios will play out regardless of the outcome of the Iron Bowl. For Alabama, however, the motivation perhaps has more to do with retribution than anything else. Many players on the current team have talked about the November slate being the Revenge Tour, and Auburn is clearly the number one priority on that list. For those that will take the field this Saturday, national championship inspirations will be temporarily sat aside... there's a far more personal stake at hand on this Saturday. This game, more so than anything else, is about redemption for a roster full of players who have yet to experience the thrill of victory over a hated in-state rival, in arguably the nation's greatest football rivalry.
For Auburn, the situation is perhaps a bit more muddled. Clearly they will play hard because of the magnitude of this game, but even a win only brings a December trip to Shreveport, something no football team truly gets excited about. Moreover, aside from having to deal with the obvious possibility of likely losing to Alabama -- something no one on the Auburn roster has ever done before -- a great uncertainty looms regardless of the outcome of the game. Several of Auburn's better players have openly pondered declaring early for the NFL Draft, and of course no one knows what will happen with the new offensive coordinator. Furthermore, with a sound loss to Alabama, even the future of Tommy Tuberville himself is not set in the stone; I don't think his tenure will end with a loss, mind you, but by the same token I don't think I can definitively say that either. Bottom line, for Auburn, no one really knows what Sunday morning will bring.

Alabama Defense v. Auburn Offense
Clearly the biggest struggles for Auburn this season have came on the offensive side of the ball, and with good reason. The offensive guru Tony Franklin was a good football mind, but clearly the rest of the staff never bought into what he was selling, and it was simply an exercise in trying to shove a round peg into a square hole. With Franklin's firing, we have seen somewhat of a new look from the Tigers. Kodi Burns is now the undisputed starting quarterback, and we have seen them work more out of the I-formation and with two-tight end sets as well. In short, being overly generic about it, since the dismissal of Franklin they have largely moved back towards a more traditional Auburn offense.
More traditional, however, is not to say more effective. Even with the revert to the old elements of Auburn football, point production has still been almost non-existent for the Tigers. For whatever reason, it has just been ugly on the Plains, and frankly the offensive production they have had this year in conference play is some of the worst I've ever seen. Just look on a game-by-game basis of their offensive net scoring for their seven SEC games this season:
Mississippi State: 1 (field goal minus a safety)
LSU: 14 (one touchdown came, naturally, via a Jarrett Lee interception)
Tennessee: 7 (one touchdown came via a Volunteer fumble in the end zone)
Vanderbilt: 13
Arkansas: 13 (one touchdown came via a kick return, and another via a safety)
Ole Miss: 7
Georgia: 13
You can crunch the numbers, and you see that Auburn is only averaging about nine net offensive points per game. By comparison, even Shula in his Waterloo of a season in 2006 averaged around fifteen points per game. In other words, if you want to know just how bad the Auburn offense has been this year, if they could have just gotten Shula-esque offensive production, it would have been a vast improvement over what they have had. As an Alabama fan, think about that. It has been that bad.
For all of the talk about schemes, though, the bigger problem that Auburn has is an overall lack of ability. Kodi Burns was a Mr. Everything recruit, but he's clearly a below average passer and a below average decision-maker; only his mobility could truly be considered an asset on the field. Beyond the quarterback position, the talent simply isn't there. None of the wide receivers are particularly good, which is of course compounded by having a poor passer at quarterback, and the offensive line is average even on its best day. The tailbacks are clearly the strength of the offense, but even so players like Ben Tate and Brad Lester, when healthy (which all too often this year they have not been) constitute a steep drop-off from their predecessors, such as Cadillac Williams, Ronnie Brown, and Kenny Irons. The only other true strength on the offensive side of the ball is the tight end position, but that strength is largely mitigated with Tommy Trott tearing his ACL against Georgia.
Bottom line, as much as Auburn people have spent time blaming the Franklin scheme for their offensive debacle, the harsh truth of the matter is that they aren't very talented on that side of the ball, and offensive production isn't going to be very good regardless of what scheme they run and regardless of who happens to be offensive coordinator. If a traditional scheme was really the cure for Auburn's offensive ills, Al Borges would have never been fired in the first place.
On the other hand, however, the Alabama defense has played quite well all season long. We still aren't the elite pass rushing team that Nick Saban wants us to be, but we are clearly moving in the right direction, and in the meantime we have been very stingy. We should finish up second in the SEC in scoring defense, and many of the points that have been scored on us have honestly come in garbage time towards the end of blowouts and thus have been effectively insignificant. The pass defense has been good, the run defense has been very tough, and even the pass rush, in all fairness, has generally been pretty effective. All in all, it's just one of the better defensive units you will find around.
Moreover, Alabama will benefit from the continued return to health of Terrence Cody. Though he returned from the initially gruesome-looking knee injury for the LSU game, Cody clearly wasn't 100%. He did look better against Mississippi State, and even he went on the record saying that the off week helped his knee immensely. He probably won't be truly 100% until the bowl game, or perhaps even the spring, but even so he's getting better and better, and thus the anchor of our defense should be largely back to his old ways for the Iron Bowl.
Putting it all together, the Auburn offense hasn't been able to score many points all year long, and they shouldn't be able to score many points on Saturday either. Our defensive front seven, especially with Terrence Cody's health improving, should be able to shut down the Auburn running game, and you have to like our chances of forcing Kodi Burns to be able to move the offense by throwing the football. The standard caveat that anything can happen certainly applies, but Auburn hasn't scored more than 14 net offensive points all year long in conference play, and to be quite frank there is no objective reason to think that will change on Saturday.

Alabama Offense v. Auburn Defense
For all of the struggles that Auburn has experienced on the offensive side of the ball, the defense has remained relatively stout. The unit may very well not have performed like many thought it would at the beginning of the season, but it has certainly played well enough for Auburn to win most of the year.
Coming into the season, most thought that the defensive front seven would be a major strength, but the defensive backfield would be a problem because of injuries. As is usually the case, however, it hasn't quite worked out that way. The secondary has actually played pretty well, but honestly the defensive line has disappointed a bit. They haven't been able to rush the passer like most expected that they would, nor have they been as impressive against the run. Sen'Derrick Marks and Antonio Coleman have played well, but to reiterate the theme of this section, perhaps not as well as many had hoped.
Nevertheless, Auburn has been stingy on the defensive side of the ball, and are still one of the better defensive units in the nation. The biggest problem for the Tigers defensively has not been so much of their own doing, but that they spend an absurd amount of time on the field because of an incompetent offense, and furthermore because of the incompetent offense they must be thoroughly excellent through all sixty minutes of the game for the Tigers to get the victory. To their credit, they have done that at times this year -- frankly, the defense is the sole reason as to why they won the Mississippi State game, and furthermore they are the only thing keeping this Auburn team from getting blown out with consistency -- but that's just such a hard standard to meet week in and week out against the conference's best teams, and predictably they have always came out on the losing end this season when they have faced those teams.
Alabama, on the other hand, continuing the entire theme of the season, has seen an offensive outburst that has surpassed anything we've seen in ages. Coming into the Iron Bowl, we're averaging over 31 points per game in conference play, which ties with the Homer Smith-led 1989 Alabama offense for the most prolific point production the Tide has posted in the post-Bryant era.
With the Tide, we're a very well-known commodity on the offensive side of the ball, and quite frankly we're not going to surprise anyone. Everyone who has followed us even from the fan's perspective knows exactly what we like to do... dominate and control the game at the line of scrimmage with the rushing attack, and then occasionally hit the tight ends and Julio Jones down field with an efficient passing attack. We don't have a true difference-maker at the quarterback position, and we really only have one proven wide receiver. And we don't do trick plays, we don't run the spread, we don't throw the ball all over the field, we don't give you an option look, we don't run the Wildcat, etc. Simply put, we're just going to line up in traditional formations and try to shove it right down your throats, and we're going to bet that our eleven can outperform your eleven. We know that you know what we're going to do, but we don't think you can stop it anyway. That's the 2008 version of Alabama football.
All in all, when you put the two units together it should make for some very good football. The Auburn defense is a good unit, and the same thing goes for the Crimson Tide offense. I do imagine we'll score our fair share of points, but you can probably rest assured that Auburn won't make it easy on us. We'll have to earn every point we can get the hard way, and make no mistake about it, this unit will most be a very close match for our physical style of play. If there is one thing you can say for Tommy Tuberville's Auburn defenses, it's that they have never been one to shy away from good ol' fashioned smash mouth football.

Putting It All Together
When you put it all together, it's clear who should be the winner of this game, and that's Alabama. Putting personal feelings aside, Alabama is a national championship contender, Auburn likely won't even make a bowl game in an era where missing a bowl game is almost a theoretical impossibility, and the game is being played in Tuscaloosa. Moreover, Auburn has a lot of players banged up, and one of their few offensive weapons (Tommy Trott) will miss the game. Alabama, on the other hand, has continued it's run of good injury luck, and no one should miss the Iron Bowl (or even be significantly limited, thanks to good health reports on Roy Upchurch, Earl Alexander, and Terrence Cody). Objectively speaking, there is simply no debate about the matter, Alabama should win with relative ease.
Of course, though, it's almost certainly not going to be that easy. The Iron Bowl is probably, year in and year out, the most physical game you will see played in all of college football, and players on both sides always play every snap like it is their last. Even when there is a huge disparity between the two teams, the games are still generally closely played and heavily contested. In 1992, for example, Alabama was on its way to a national title, while Auburn ultimately didn't even make a bowl game, but nevertheless early in the third quarter the game was still tied 0-0 with Auburn driving into Alabama territory. On the other hand, in 2004 an undefeated Auburn team came into Tuscaloosa to play an ultimately 6-6 Alabama team -- complete with a third-string quarterback (Pennington), a fifth-string tailback (Johns), a back-up fullback (McClain), and true freshmen wide receivers and tight ends (Hall, Brown, and Davidson) -- yet nevertheless Alabama carried a 6-0 lead into the third quarter.
The moral of the story is that though the best team usually wins this game, the margin is almost always a close one. In all honesty, there hasn't been an Iron Bowl where one team ran away with it from the start since Bear Bryant Alabama in the mid-1970's, and honestly that is probably not going to change this year. Auburn will play with a lot of heart, and a good defense should keep the game very close for a while.
For Alabama, though, the real trick is to simply not beat ourselves. You know I always like to make the fundamental point that points win games, and with that in mind the Auburn offense -- barring a massive, unforeseen surge in production -- should not be able to score very many points against the Tide. As a result, all we really need is limited offensive production, and then to protect the football and cover in the kicking game. As long as we can avoid giving Auburn those cheap points with turnovers and breakdowns in special teams, then they really shouldn't be able to score very my points. If we can force them to go 60+ yards to get the football in the end zone, given Auburn's offensive incompetence, that's a winning strategy every time for the Tide.
Simply put, with all due respect to our in-state rivals, I just do not believe that Auburn can beat us... they can certainly walk away with the victory, to be sure, but they need us to beat ourselves. They need us to create them a path to victory. This is not a situation like what we had in losses such as 2005, 2002, 1989, or even 1972 (the infamous Punt 'Bama Punt game), which were all situations where Auburn fielded fine teams in their own right (those four teams have a combined record of 38-10). This is a very poor Auburn team, and one that frankly shouldn't be good enough to get the job done in their own right. They, quite frankly, need us to hand them the game on a silver platter for them to seize victory.
Bottom line, we just need to come out and play good, hard, smart football. We need to protect the ball and not give up big plays on special teams. We probably won't be able to score a lot of points on Auburn thanks to their sound defensive unit, but with the incompetence of their offense (mixed with the quality of our own defense), it shouldn't take very many points to win this one. All in all, it will likely be a close, hard-fought game, but nevertheless, objectively speaking, the Tide is clearly the better team and should thus finally end the hated streak.
Nevertheless, anything can happen in this game, never forget that. No Iron Bowl in my lifetime has ever came easy, regardless of who ultimately ended up on top, and I highly doubt this one proves any different.
Hope for the best.

</td><td class="cr c">
</td></tr><tr class="card-actionrow"><td class="cal c">
</td><td class="ca c">Add starShareShare with noteEmail
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Not my photo but I've got another photo of this banner outside the luxury boxes. I don't think I've ever seen signs or banners at DKR. This one was huge and very visibile. A few other ones were in the student sections but weren't as visible.

3064586313_c703e34e74.jpg

Adding:

Boise St -21 (-110)

Grabbing a horrible line but there's still value on it and it's still going up. I made the line 23 and I think Boise has to run it up to have any argument that it should be in the BCS too.

Notoriously sloppy Special Teams could play a role

from Building The Dam by Jake
In each of the past two seasons, the Civil War has come down to the last play.
sports01112506.jpg

Serna was the hero of the 2006 Civil War after he scored the eventual winning field goal in Oregon State's 30-28 win.
- - -

In 2006, it was Alexis Serna who booted a 40-yard field goal to win the game after Brady Leaf led the Ducks to a touchdown and a two-point conversion. The Ducks assembled a potential game-winning drive of their own, but Matt Evensen's field goal was blocked by Ben Siegert to win the game for OSU.
Last year, Matt Evensen and Alexis Serna traded field goals in the first overtime of the 111th Civil War before James Rodgers scored the eventual game-winning touchdown on the first play of double overtime. But before that, both teams had chances to win the game on field goal attempts in regulation. Alexis Serna had a 35-yard field goal attempt blocked, and Matt Evensen missed a 41 yarder as time expired due to poor clock management. Of course, it was the Oregon State defense that sealed the game, stopping UO running back Jonathan Stewart on a 4th and 1 play.
Although Oregon State has won both of the games in the past two years that were decided on the last play, they enter this year's game without the greatest kicker in Oregon State history, Alexis Serna.
But the Civil War wasn't kind to Alexis, who scored 384 points over the course of his career at Oregon State. Last year, Serna was 1 for 4 in the rivalry game, with the 35-yarder in overtime being his only successful field goal of the game. He missed from distances of 33, 50, and 35.
The Beavers enter this year's Civil War riding the leg of plackicker Justin Kahut, the sophomore out of Clackamas High School who kicked a 24-yard field goal last week as time expired to give Oregon State a 19-17 win over the Arizona Wildcats. This all came after he missed a routine extra point earlier in the fourth quarter, denying Oregon State of a share of the lead with just under four minutes remaining in he game.
0fp22eps.jpg

Morgan Flint has emerged as a diamond in the rough for Mike Bellotti. He's 4-for-4 on FG's so far this season-- and apparently hasn't missed in practice, either.
- - -

Kahut has been getting big-game experience this year, but he's yet to kick in a Civil War atmosphere. He's 14 of 20 on field goal attempts this season, and is 6 of 7 so far in November. Kahut has been nearly perfect-- 11 of 12-- on field goals from under 40 yards. He's 3 of 8 on field goals longer than 40 yards.
The Ducks have got inconsistent play from their primary kicker, Matt Evensen, this season. Matt earned Pac-10 Special Teams player of the week honors after Oregon's win over Purdue when he was 4 of 4, but has since been benched in favor of junior Morgan Flint. Evensen is currently 11 of 18 on the season, and he's strugled-- like Kahut-- on attempts longer than 40 yards. He's only converted on every field goal attempt in three games this season.
Evensen has been limited to kickoffs in Oregon's last two games against Stanford and Arizona. Morgan Flint, his replacement, has been a perfect 4 of 4 in those games, so we'll likely see Flint in the Civil War. He hasn't been tested in a true pressure situation yet, so it will be interesting to see how he reacts. However, Coach Bellotti reports that Flint hasn't missed a kick in the past two weeks-- in practice, or in a game. Flint walked-on at Oregon four years ago and has stuck around. Finally, he's earned the starting spot. Plus, Evensen has had two opportunities to win Civil Wars for Oregon, and he's missed both attempts.
Oregon kickers are 1 of 5 on field goal attempts in the past two Civil Wars. If Saturday's game becomes a field goal battle, each team will likely do battle with a kicker who has less than a full year of experience and has never played in a Civil War.
Calculate the field goal percentages for both teams, and you'll find that both Oregon and Oregon State are 15 of 22 on the season, for 68.2%.
It couldn't get much more equal than that.

Tim Layden: Weis is overmatched at Notre Dame

from SI.com - NCAA Football
Moments after last Saturday's brutal loss to Syracuse, Notre Dame coach Charlie Weis stood on the field for his postgame interview with NBC's Alex Flanagan. There's a lot of nasty stuff getting thrown at Weis, some of it simply because he's the Notre Dame coach and some of it perhaps because the Fighting Irish (6-5 after going 3-8 last year) don't look or play like an elite college football team, despite the gold helmets and Touchdown Jesus and all that. Much of America loves to see the Irish struggle, and even more love a good coaching deathwatch.
VRYZ0RGNI0Q

Lane Kiffin Reportedly Will Replace Philip Fulmer at Tennessee After This Season

from The FanHouse - NCAAfootball
by Will BrinsonFiled under: Tennessee, NCAA FB Coaching, NCAA FB Gossip, NCAA FB Media Watch, NCAA FB Rumors, General CFB Insanity
lane-kiffin.jpg
Ever since Lane Kiffin vacated the head coaching position with the Oakland Raiders, he has been mentioned in almost every possible rumor riddled coaching search, particularly for the Tennessee Volunteers and Clemson Tigers. Both schools have plenty of talent, a ton of recruiting cache and plenty of tradition.

And, if sources from the Knoxville Sun-Sentinel (via MDS at CFT) are to be believed, Kiffin has agreed in principle on a deal to head to Knox County and will be the next head coach for the Volunteers.
Barring any unforeseen snags, Kiffin will be announced in the coming days.

Kiffin will replace Phillip Fulmer who was forced to step down Nov. 3. Fulmer's last game as head coach will be Saturday against Kentucky at Neyland Stadium.
Three things, in particular, to note here. First of all, Tennessee has, as recently as Wednesday, denied that Kiffin was being offered the job.

Secondly, this could be a pretty huge coup for the Volunteers if, as I believe, Kiffin turns out to be a great head coaching candidate in the college setting. He's young, enthusiastic and learned from Pete Carroll, who's done a decent job at USC. Bringing me to the final point: cutting the cord on Fulmer in the middle of the season, while certainly a tough thing to do, really gave Tennessee a jump start on finding a high end replacement, if the reports are true.

Smoke, mirrors and other lies: Deconstructing Georgia Tech's flexbone

from Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports by Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-77075203-1227899018.jpg
There's more at stake elsewhere, but the most interesting matchup of the weekend might be Georgia Tech's bid at ending its seven-game losing streak to Georgia -- especially considering the Yellow Jackets' optimism with a surprising 8-3 record. There's no more question about whether Paul Johnson's flexbone offense can work in a major conference: Tech leads the ACC and is fourth nationally in rushing offense, is second in the ACC in total offense and even third in pass efficiency.
But if Georgia isn't the most statistically impressive the Jackets have faced, it's probably still the best in terms of personnel; last year's 317-yard, 17-point effort was Tech's best offensive effort of the Chan Gailey against UGA, and didn't keep him from getting fired after a two-touchdown loss. Paul Johnson's flexbone scheme has been more productive so far, and might be better-suited both to keep the Bulldog defense on its heels and the Bulldog offense off the field -- not because it's "quirky" or "gimmicky," but because it forces the defense to defend so many different possibilities while remaining very simple for the offense itself.
Let's Talk Game Plan Paul Johnson's veer option philosophy is based on running two or three plays extremely well, to the extent that the base offense will "never lose" if the quarterback makes the right decisions against a base defense; the defense has to adjust to take away a certain aspect of the option, and when it does, it opens itself to be exploited by another aspect of the system. Johnson is a master of in-game adjustments and play-calling, and thoroughly pantsed Miami last Thursday by spreading the ball around to the tune of 476 yards. It took about a quarter for the Jacket offense to get revved up, but when it did, Tech essentially knocked the Canes out on back-to-back snaps in the second quarter:
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p3oVQb-GeT8&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="295" height="239">Popout​
Dwyer scored again a few plays after Nesbitt's run to put the Jackets up 21-3, and the nation turned its attention to The Office and 30 Rock.
Let's go to the game tape. I think Craig James and Jesse Palmer are both wrong in their assignments of blame on Dwyer's long touchdown: James blamed "poor tackling," which was true only after Dwyer had broken into the open field, where a safety technically should but realistically has a very low probability of actually bringing Dwyer down one-on-one; and Palmer, seeing Randy Shannon jawing out linebacker Romeo Davis after the play, told viewers Davis was assigned to the dive. If that's true, it explains a lot about Miami's problems here, because Davis is the left outside linebacker (LOLB) in the Canes' 4-3 alignment and has a long, long way to go to cover a dive aimed at the gaping hole between Tech's center and left guard on the other side of the formation:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-792195522-1227891596.jpg
More likely, the dive is the assignment of middle linebacker (MLB) Glenn Cook. The key block at the snap is the cut block by the right guard against Miami defensive tackle Joe Joseph. If Joseph beats this block, he's in Dwyer's grill on the dive, or Nesbitt is forced to pull the ball out and run the option directly into the unblocked defensive end (RE) and outside linebacker. But because Tech does get the cut, it frees the center to release to the second level on Cook while the right guard and right tackle to double team the other defensive tackle, leaving the outside contain men unblocked:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-143500006-1227892153.jpg
The defensive tackle (RT) actually does an admirable job fighting through the double team, but he has no idea where the ball is; he winds up moving for Nesbitt, taking himself out of the play with his hesitation. Meanwhile, Joseph (LT), the victim of the successful cut block, flails hopelessly at Dwyer from the ground, and both Cook (MLB) and Davis (LOLB) overpursue themselves right out of the play; their momentum makes the blocks by the center and left tackle the easiest on the play, and Dwyer has an open cutback lane in the space vacated by Davis:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-812576879-1227892628.jpg
And once Dwyer is one-on-one with a safety, again, it's over:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-2046815-1227892747.jpg
Shannon's words to Davis was only the beginning of what must have been a long lecture to the entire front seven about stopping the dive. What did we work on all week?! Stopping the dive! So on Georgia Tech's very next snap, they let them stop the dive -- the Jackets don't even block Joseph (LT) this time, letting him pick his poison while the left guard caves inside on Cook and the left tackle kicks out the defensive end:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-738827204-1227893065.jpg
Nesbitt and Dwyer go through their usual dive action, baiting Joseph: If he comes too far upfield, Nesbitt can give the ball on the dive, and Dwyer will be free again. Instead, Joseph -- again, having just been burned on the dive and likely coming off the sideline with "dive" burned into his brain -- crashes down on Dwyer:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-784592248-1227893545.jpg
With successful blocks at every point -- the left guard has sealed the middle linebacker, the center/right guard double team has rolled the right DT out of the play and walled off the pursuit of the outside linebacker on the other side of the formation -- Joseph's reaction to tackle Dwyer on the dive means Nesbitt has a chasm to run through, with the motion man as a lead blocker:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-517388932-1227893709.jpg
From there, it's just wide open spaces for the next 50 yards:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-909203012-1227893966.jpg
Miami's just a dizzy, beaten team at this point. I have no idea who's responsible for the dive on this play:
<embed class="content-block-fix" src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KGR1e-XtwF0&hl=en&fs=1" allowscriptaccess="never" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344">Popout​
But whoever it is (I think it's the unblocked defensive end who winds up going for Nesbitt instead, since the outside linebacker and safety are setting up to take the quarterback and pitch man), he didn't come close.
Miami is a bigger, faster team than Georgia Tech overall, but just like the Canes, Georgia's advantages in speed and athleticism won't mean as much as playing sound, assignment football. North Carolina offered a couple tutorials in the Tar Heels' 28-7 win over the Jackets earlier this month. The pictures aren't very good, but you can see as Tech goes into its usual triple option action that UNC is in perfect position -- the unblocked playside end is crashing down on the fullback dive, not running himself out of the play to hit the quarterback (in this case, freshman Jaybo Shaw) if he decides to keep, while the middle linebacker has quickly flowed to the outside to string out the keep, with the outside linebacker and safety there to clean up the pitch man:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-106616273-1227894411.jpg

The MLB's pursuit here may be the biggest difference in UNC's success in this case and Miami's consistent failure; where Cook was consistently lost in the wash, Mark Paschal doesn't bite for the dive at all -- he trusts the end to handle that assignment, and flies outside to meet Shaw, leaving Tech's right tackle all alone, blocking no one as the defense closes in:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-546004138-1227894992.jpg
And just for good measure, we get the other bugaboo of Tech's scheme this year, a fumble:
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-187007651-1227895294.jpg
But even Carolina allowed 300-plus yards to the Jackets on the ground, including an 85-yard touchdown run by Dwyer, who now has seven runs on the year longer than 40 yards, not including a 79-yard touchdown reception against Gardner-Webb. In fact, no defense has been as successful against the option element of Tech's offense than Gardner-Webb, which is appropriate enough: Size and speed obviously helps, but it won't overcome a lack of discipline on any given down.

Reflections on a Full Season

tiny.gif.v3808
by whills on Nov 28, 2008 1:06 PM CST in Football
Congratulations are in order for the Longhorns for the masterful job during the regular season, from the coaches and staff to Colt McCoy for demonstrating levels of football maturity and leadership and to this team for believing in itself without fail. And as a special achievement on the side, the Texas Longhorns became the second winningest football program in the history of NCAA football.
The worst times of the season was when the Horns showed the most heart. First was against the Sooners in Dallas, where they had the wherewithal to stay with the land thieves early, survived the body punching middle rounds, the Texas defense came up with the muscle to stop the OU running game (48 yards/26 carries) and Colt and the offense acted decisively in the end to win by a TKO. OU was still standing, but they were whipped - and they knew it. Just like they still know it now.They didn't have a glass jaw, but they did have a tin heart.
However, the finest moment came in the toughest combat, when the Horns were almost down for the count in Lubbock, backed into the corner, the crowd in their ears, with every reason in the world to give up...but they didn't. Colt pulled them together, Muschamp's defense blunted the Harraled attack and the Horn fought back well enough to take the lead...until the final heartbreaking moment.
The Longhorns whipped both OU (I heard it was 45-35) and aTm (49-9) and the herd is most content with accomplishing those pre-season goals. Things have been set right in the vastness of Texas. More than anything, this team achieved so much more than we anticipated back in the sticky days of August, when there were so many question marks that our expectations were reduced and talk of '09 seemed just as relevant as 2008. Little did we know...

star-divide.jpg.v5547

I find myself more pleased with this team than many others because they exceeded all expectations, they handled their #1 ranking with grace and style and fought like a champions to preserve it, because most the elemental flaws of 2006 and 2007 have been turned around (except for the running game and run blocking; nothing is ever quite as perfect as you want).
What was seen as a set-up for the future suddenly manifested itself in the present; not just a sneak peek either, but a developmental gaze into what incredible growth this team has before it. And there is so much more to come. And best of all, we still have another game left, another chance to jump start the future.
I wonder what effect the change in the open week could have had, if the Horns had played Arkansas at the scheduled time and had had the open week before Colorado and the conference run. As it was, the Horns played two early games, beating FAU and UTEP while we watched the defense, sometimes playing peekaboo through our hands as things got ugly. We got the big BOOMs but there were many other mistakes and some worried they would last forever. Then the hurricane induced open week, followed by nine games in a row instead of seven. Rice and the Hogs went down easily enough as Colt shifted the offense into high gear.
Colorado was a good contest to start the Big XII, a way to push the D into run defense at a higher level. That would pay off the next week against OU and Muschamp got the kind of performance that made us all shake our heads, oh yeah, big smiles all around. The Horns earned number #1, every single bit of it.
Then the greatest four-game stretch of ranked teams in Texas history. Missouri, Oklahoma State and the final night full of maniacs in Lubbock. The Horns buried the earlier win but came to realize just how fine that line can be between winning and losing. On that night, Michael Crabtree owned that line, just ripped it from our hands. All four those were great football games, with OU and Tech classics.
Then the end of the stretch, with the local nasties, Baylor, Kansas and aTm. True, they weren't powerful enough to stop the Horns march grandioso, but they each fought hard in their own way. The Horns gave up 38 points in those three games as the Muschampions proved they were getting better every day. Colt and the offense took care of business.
So, here is where we stand: 11-1, tied for the Big XII South divisional title, waiting for greater things to come. The Horns are highly ranked and respected. I'm proud of this team. They did a hell of a job in every single game. Few teams can say that.
The Horns lost a game, yes, but it can also be said they gained a future head coach, they earned levels of respect that we didn't foresee early in the season, that our eyes have feasted on a young man that led this team in a way you always hope your quarterback will, and we have a powerful future ahead of us.
Perhaps it is time to stand back and appreciate this season for what it is. We can get so involved in the minutia and emotions of possible bowls we fail to fully comprehend just how much this team has matured this year, how well those steps after the '07 aTm game were implemented, how the additions of Muschamp and Major have powered this team and its psyche, and just how wonderful it is to win this much. We should be thankful during this holiday. For us old timers, it brings a tear to the eye for we know how rare such seasons are.

R.I.P. Stevie Hicks

from Clone Chronicles by mplscyclone

I just heard the news about former ISU running back Stevie Hicks. He was found under a freeway bridge in Omaha at 8:30pm today. There's no official word on the cause of death but some speculation has been a suicide. When there's official word, I will write an update.
Our condolances to the Hicks family, and everyone else who knew Stevie personally.
Stevie was the #6 all-time rusher in ISU history. Injuries slowed him down and he always had a ton of potential. He played hard and we all appreciate what he gave to the program.
My favorite memory of Stevie was finishing the Iowa game in 2005 at the Jack. Feel free to post in the comments memories of Hicks.
Sad, sad, sad news during this Holiday season.

Defense leads Arizona State to 34-9 win over UCLA (AP)

from Yahoo! Sports - NCAA Football - UCLA Bruins News

Arizona State scored a school-record four defensive touchdowns in a 34-9 victory over UCLA on Friday night, keeping alive the Sun Devils' bowl hopes while eliminating the Bruins from postseason contention. Troy Nolan, Travis Goethel and Mike Nixon each returned interceptions for scores -- Nolan's went for 100 yards, matching a school record -- and Paul Unga returned a fumble for a touchdown.

If there is a better college football thread week in and week out on the internet , I haven't found it yet.

On nevada with you RJ , lets cash that and hope for a oklahoma win on a bad call on a hail mary.

rj,

as much I was elated with you posting the Charissa Thompson pic (thank you by the way), I am deeply saddened by the news regarding Hicks...I regularly bet him and his Dan McCarney led teammates and remember him well...I hope that it wasn't suicide...may he rest in peace...

VK--I'm with you on Nevada, let's do this. I'm also saddened by Hicks. I think it probably was suicide. Holidays and all increases the chances. I wouldn't be surprised if he was depressed after his playing days were over and he couldn't deal with it.

Jason Whitlock tells the truth about ESPN and how evil it is:

Jason Whitlock: ESPN Is Murdering Sports Journalism

If you like serious media criticism and have your issues with ESPN, then you’re just going to love FOX Sports columnist Jason Whitlock’s new column.
Whitlock, a Ball State alum, kicks off his column about the lack of respect his beloved Cardinals are getting from the national media, despite a 12-0 record. Shortly thereafter, he points the finger of blame right at the World Wide Leader, who he accuses of dumbing down sports journalism and playing favorites to protect their financial interests.
We imagine Whitlock won’t be getting a Christmas card from Chris Fowler anytime in the near future.
Let me tell you what passes for courage and independent thinking at ESPN. Chris Fowler dropped Ball State out of his AP top-25 ballot last week after the Cardinals beat a then-9-2 Central Michigan team on the road.​
What Fowler has done is ridiculous and reeks of the kind of simple-minded arrogance that permeates ESPN. Fowler has had his ass kissed for too many years. He travels around the country during football season and everywhere he goes, there’s an Army of BCS sports information directors waiting to kiss his ass and tell him how great “GameDay” is.​
He has never been a professional journalist a day in his life. He’s a TV personality. He knows what someone else has told him. I’m not 100 percent sure, but I’d suspect he hasn’t worn a jock since junior high school.​
This is the combination that is killing the sports media. No journalism background, no real athletic experience and no backbone. No clue. Fowler wouldn’t make a competent blogger.​
Read the whole thing, because there is a great deal of interest here. We especially enjoyed Whitlock’s commentary on ESPN’s current decisions as to what constitutes hot sports news, “a steady diet of Donovan McNabb didn’t know games could end in a tie and fake Red Sox press conferences.”
The story ESPN doesn’t want you to know [FOX Sports]
Image [The Big Lead]

THE 25 HOTTEST CELEBRITY BOOTIES

Beyonce

tnbeyonce.jpg

Brooke Burke

tnbrookeburke.jpg

Carmen Electra

tncarmenelectra.jpg

Eva Longoria

tnevalongoria.jpg

Fergie

tnFergie.jpg

Inez Sainz

tnInezSainz.jpg

Jennifer Aniston

tnjenniferaniston.jpg

Jennifer Ellison

tnJenniferEllison.jpg

Jessica Alba

Jessica Biel

tnjessicabiel.jpg

Kate Hudson

tnkatehudson.jpg

Kendra Wilkinson

tnKendraWilkinson.jpg

Kim Kardashian

tnKimKardashian.jpg

Kristen Bell

tnkristenbell.jpg

Maria Sharapova

tnMariaSharapova.jpg

Melyssa Ford

tnmelyssaford.jpg

Mena Suvari

tnmenasuvari.jpg

Michelle Hunziker

tnmichellehunziker.jpg

Neira Gallardo

tnneiragallardo.jpg

Nina Moric

tnninamoric.jpg

Shakira

tnshakira.jpg

Sofia Vergara

tnsofiavergara.jpg

Stacey Dash

tnstaceydash.jpg

Stacey Keibler

tnstacykeibler-1.jpg

Vida Guerra

tnvida2-1.png

Others in the Hottest Celebrity Series

She’s Uncoachable: Very Sexy Boston Bartender Kristy Ann

Published by Natty at 9:00 am under She's Uncoachable

So it’s Friday. Most of you are at home trying to wake up from all that heavy food. But I know that some of you have snuck off to the other room to get a peak at who’s Uncoachable today. Well it happens to be Boston born Kristy Ann. I know nothing about her but she’s blond and looks very lovely to me. (Here’s a bio)
So if you have a few minutes of “alone” time at your parents house that you are staying in, I sincerely hope you are using it to masturbate to my site. Just don’t write in any detailed comments about your experiences. OK write ‘em in. That’s fine. In the meantime…
More of Kristy Ann after the jump
Her ass is destroying my brain right now. This isn’t fair at all.

A plea to Rick Neuheisel on behalf of Kevin Craft: Please start someone else against USC

ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-912482164-1227968594.jpg
Arizona State 34, UCLA 9. I had no intention of saying anything about the Devils and/or Bruins or their zero-stakes game Friday night. There's nothing surprising about the score itself, which moves the Devils within a game of bowl eligibility at 5-6 and officially eliminates the Bruins from the postseason, which you probably thought had happened a long time ago (I did, until an FSN reporter asked Rick Neuheisel about a bowl game after the Bruins' win at Washington two weeks ago, and even Rick seemed amused by the possibility).
But this is one of the weirdest box scores I've ever seen. Arizona State scored six times (four touchdowns, two field goals) with ... 122 yards total offense? I don't even want to go into where that ranks among the school's all-time lows, but it's by far the worst output since 2004. ASU's longest drive of the night was 28 yards and ended with an interception. The Devils rushed for 24 yards, had two plays the entire game longer than 10 yards (one for 26, one for 11) and averaged a pathetic 2.4 per snap. And ended with its third-highest point total of the season? And ... oh. Yeah. Kevin Craft.
Poor, poor Kevin Craft. This was supposed to be a nice, quiet year buried deep on the bench. He's not really a Pac-10 quarterback, you know; technically, yes, since he's on UCLA's roster, but really? No. So it's very hard to condemn him for offering up fodder for not one, not two, not three, but four defensive touchdowns in a single game. On national television. Three came off interception returns -- two by Mike Nixon alone in the fourth quarter, one them for 100 yards with the Bruins down 17-9 and driving to potentially tie -- and another from a fumble return. That doesn't include the only play I saw of this game, when Craft pump-faked in his own end zone in the first quarter, was swarmed over and desperately fumbled the ball forward into a cluster of linemen at the half-yard line, narrowly averting what probably should have ended as a safety, anyway, when the lineman who recovered wound up three yards deep in the end zone.
The ever-rosy Bruins Nation has to send itself an internal memo to stay on-message with the optimism. The O.C. Register headlines is "Craft passes ASU to victory." Old hat Dennis Erickson vowed to keep the game tape for the rest of his life, because he's never seen anything like it. In the same column, even noted curmudgeon T.J. Simers can't help but feel sorry for the kid:
And so watching Kevin Craft play quarterback for the Bruins on Friday night, while amusing in its oddity and folly, became painful to watch.
[...]
As embarrassing and unusual as it was, UCLA being sabotaged by its quarterback, no longer bowl-eligible and awaiting USC next, it doesn't even begin to explain what Craft endured.
He got hit, hounded and pounded because he's playing behind a substandard Pacific 10 Conference offensive line on a team that lacks the running game to take some of the pressure off of him.
Forced from the game at one point because of injury, he's tough, all right, returning to place himself in harm's way.
That's what he's supposed to do as a competitor, of course, and maybe he's not as good as he should be to be playing the position for UCLA, but there should be a limit to public humiliation.
Indeed: Simers notes Craft remained standing on the sideline and engaged in a hopeless effort after being pulled in the fourth quarter, and shook hands with ASU afterwards when many of his teammates went straight for the locker room. This is the same third-teamer who won accolades for rallying the Bruins from behind after a brutal first half against Tennessee in the opener.
But now that Craft has demonstrated himself unequivocally to be the turnover-prone nightmare from the first half of that game, the question is: Do they really put him on the field against USC? Arizona State is only a solidly mediocre defense -- exactly fifth in the Pac-10 in every major category -- and the Trojans are one of the most fearsome units in recent memory. For the love of God, for your quarterback's own safety, sanity and sense of worth as a human being, Rick, don't subject him to that.

Your Saturday in Detail: Alabama closes the deal

Ten hyper-specific predictions.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-21253102-1227975097.jpg
Auburn takes Alabama deep into the fourth quarter, falling behind on John Parker Wilson's fist touchdown pass in four weeks and losing on a last-gasp interception by Kodi Burns to end both the Tigers' six-game winning streak in the Iron Bowl and eight-year run since AU's last losing record.
Tyrod Taylor top 75 yards rushing and equals last year's two rushing touchdowns as Virginia Tech locks up the ACC Coastal for the fourth time in five years with a double digit win over Virginia.
After some pre-game woofing and shoving, Tommy Beecher and Stephen Garcia are each intercepted and C.J. Spiller breaks one long/spectacular run as Clemson edges South Carolina on a late field goal.
Chase Daniel completes 75 percent of his passes and throws at least three touchdowns -- one to Jeremy Maclin, who also scores on a run or kick/punt return -- in a high-scoring rout of Kansas that gets people talking about the Tigers again heading into the Big 12 Championship.
Florida State stays within a score of Florida into the third quarter, when a turnover by Christian Ponder opens up the floodgates to a Gator rout. Tim Tebow again has modest numbers, yardage-wise, but accounts for three touchdowns in a three-score UF win.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-831183851-1227975081.jpg
USC obliterates Notre Dame by at least 24, some of that garbage time points by the Irish after failing to score a touchdown until the game is well out of reach. Mark Sanchez tops 300 yards passing, one of the Trojan backs goes over 100 rushing and the Charlie Weis buyout talk hits overdrive.
True to form in the Civil War, Oregon and Oregon State comes down to the final possession, when Sean Canfield converts a pair of third downs and at least one fourth down to get the Beavers into position for the winning field goal. The OSU running game struggles minus Jacquizz Rodgers but the Beavers turn a pair of Oregon turnovers into point en route to locking up the Rose Bowl.
Boston College puts up at least 21 points on Maryland in the first half and 30-plus for the game, more than enough to put the Terps away by two scores to secure the ACC Atlantic title. B.C. holds Maryland under 100 yards rushing and forces a pair of turnovers by Chris Turner.
Oklahoma State scores first on Oklahoma and stays neck-and-neck with the Sooners into the second quarter, until OU goes ahead for the first time just before the half and puts the game away by scoring at least 17 points in the third quarter. Texas fans accuse Bob Stoops of running up the score when a late Zac Robinson interception gives OU a chance to add another six to the margin, and Stoops takes it.

Adding:

Okie Lite +10 (-110)

Baylor almost posted the upset and I like Okie Lite with a week off in prep to keep this close at home on national tv. Goddam, we NEED them to cover to have Texas hold off OU.

Back