CFB Week 12 (11/13-17) News and Picks

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
2004-2005
No Records Kept

2005-2006 CFB Record
77-71 (52.04%), +2.2 units

2006-2007 CFB Record
70-48-3 (57.85%), +46.63 units (Behold the power of CTG)

2007-08 CFB Record
48-50-2 (49%) -45.22 units

-----------------------------------

Decision time. Considering reducing units per play, taking a break until bowls, reducing number of plays, or just packing it in for the year.

Winning percentage is not too bad considering this year and how bad of a run I've had over the last 6 weeks, but the loss of bankroll probably cannot be overcome this year.

Anyway. I'm taking tomorrow off and maybe the entire week to make money through my business and take my mind off of betting football.

Last edited:
Bill Callahan's Agent Is Just As Dumb As His Client

Posted Nov 10th 2007 11:18AM by Brian Cook
Filed under: Nebraska Football, Big 12, NCAA FB Coaching
bill-callahan-yelly.jpg
I guess there's no point in either Bill Callahan or his agent playing nice zPR games anymore. Callahan is as fired as anyone who has ever been fired in the history of the universe, and after his twin demolition jobs on the Raiders and Nebraska there are U10 girls soccer leagues who would laugh a hypothetical Callahan application. But can we have some decorum in the last days of Rome?

After reports that Callahan had been asked to resign by Tom Osborne, his agent exploded into a hissy fit, finishing up with...
"Listen to how stupid you people are. You people need to start studying soil content or something. Why don't you find out how many pair of socks get washed every day in the locker room?"​
Nice job there, bucko.

It'll be interesting to see where Callahan goes from here; if anyone hires him to do anything but sweep the locker room floor it will be the final evidence that coaching cronyism is the most powerful force in the universe. Wait... no. Norv Turner is employed by the Chargers. That's already been proven.

Weis blistered by former Irish player

<script type="text/javascript"><!-- google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135"; google_alternate_color = "ffffff"; google_ad_width = 300; google_ad_height = 250; google_ad_format = "300x250_as"; google_ad_type = "text_image"; //2007-06-19: entries google_ad_channel = "0603066557"; google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; google_color_link = "003399"; google_color_text = "333333"; google_color_url = "999999"; //--> </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> </script><iframe name="google_ads_frame" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0237893561790135&dt=1194725250531&lmt=1194725247&alt_color=ffffff&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1194725250515&channel=0603066557&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanblogs.com%2Fnotre_dame%2F007273.php&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=333333&color_link=003399&color_url=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&cc=100&ga_vid=1546096358.1193703380&ga_sid=1194725250&ga_hid=1696748777&ga_fc=true&flash=9&u_h=768&u_w=1280&u_ah=738&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-480&u_his=1&u_java=true&u_nplug=26&u_nmime=104" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="250" scrolling="no" width="300"></iframe> The Wizard of Odds highlights a take that you don't see too often in the mainstream media - a former Notre Dame player blistering Irish head coach Charlie Weis.
Pro Football Hall-of-Famer and former Irish standout Bob Kuechenberg - who played both OL and DL at UND in the 1960's before his 15 year career in the NFL - goes on the record with what he contends is a broadly-held opinion of Weis.
“I want to start the movement -- Charlie’s last name is four letters, and so is ogre, because that’s what he is,” Kuechenberg said. “Look it up, and you’ll find some other adjectives that fit him to a tee. “This man has not been a good ... human being might be a little bit broad ... but this man has not been good to anybody who came to Notre Dame. Within the Notre Dame family, when former All-American players say to a man that this guy’s an (expletive), and for no reason, to me it’s karma that he’s getting his ass handed to him.”
Kuechenberg contends that Weis essentially blackmailed the Irish into a bad contract extension just a few weeks into his first season by allowing himself to be discussed for NFL position. In the wake of public embarrassments recruiting George O'Leary (resume-gate) and Urban Meyer, Weis forced the Irish to bite hard and swallow.
“In the face of all of those embarrassments, to then have Charlie Weis back out on you a couple of weeks into his career would have been really embarrassing, which is probably why they succumbed to that type of blackmail,” Kuechenberg said. “It’s the mark of the man. I can see after a couple of years to say let’s talk about an extension. But right away? It’s karmic justice that Charlie Weis is getting what he deserves for his actions.”​
What puts Kuechenberg over the top (despite the fact that he has never met Charlie Weis) is the manner in which he is reported to have treated returning Irish alums.
“I was up there two weeks ago for the Michigan State game,” Kuechenberg said. “He has insulted people. It doesn’t matter if you’re an ex-football player, a regular alumni, what have you. He’s been abusive and totally, unnecessarily arrogant to the Notre Dame family itself and it’s all coming back in his lap. “I’ve yet to meet the man, and frankly I hope I never do. There’s nothing about his image that I have any respect for. I don’t know Charlie personally, but his image is wide enough and consistent enough from sources I hold in high regard. These are good friends of mine and it’s the same broken record. This guy is an ogre.
“He’s been rude to them, curt and abrasive. The Notre Dame student-athlete is held to a higher standard, so what’s with the coach? Hello -- you’re the leader. Act like one.”
One gets the feeling that Kuechenberg won't be sending any holiday cards to Weis (and possibly vice-versa), but it does raise an interesting question.
Is Kuechenberg just a lonely, frustrated voice against Weis -- Jermone Bettis and other Irish alums love the guy, after all -- or is Kuechenberg's voice just the tip of the iceberg? Is this worm turning for Senor Weis?
While some may read frustration (or even bitterness) in Kuechenberg's comments, I see an implicit confirmation of my previous criticism of Charlie Weis... He is too transactional. By Kuechenberg's account, he treats alums as just another face in the crowd. He treats his players as interchangeable cogs - as evidenced by this year's fickle QB rotation.
I still contend that Weis is the wrong guy to be the head coach at Notre Dame. And I'll add to that - I'm not sure Weis should be a college head coach anywhere.
Charlie Weis is an outstanding offensive mind - without question - but he is failing as a head coach. There is nothing in his resume to suggest that Weis is capable of developing talent. He certainly didn't have to develop players in the NFL, just show them the plays, tweak here & there, and collect the trophies. But now - with his team needing it the most - Weis is not developing talent at Notre Dame.
Good recruits are coming into the Notre Dame system and - but for their own inner passion to excel - languishing under Weis. There is no such thing as marked improvement, it is simply a transaction with Weis. It almost as if the recruits are NFL free agents, signing with the team and then expected to use their talents to improve the team. There's nothing to suggest that Weis is actually taking a player from one level and ELEVATING his game to the next level. And this is Weis's Achilles' heel - he isn't developing players.
At the risk of repeating myself.... If the powers that be at Notre Dame don't recognize this fundamental weakness (or weakness in fundamentals, to be more exact), then Notre Dame will continue to languish.

HISTORY’S GREATEST FAILURES

We all know people that are bad at their jobs; you may even be one of them. This is why it’s fun to look at and make fun of people who are historically bad at their jobs. These are some of my favorites:
imadriverimawinner.jpg

Franz Berliner, Captain, LZ 129 Hindenburg
Flew the world’s largest balloon into the world’s largest needle. Not sure what he was doing, but I don’t think it takes hindsight to see that Franz was not watching where he was going. His poor floating skills singlehandedly brought down the entire Zeppelin Industry.Â
Mort Lipshitz, Fire Chief, Chicago 1870-1871
Far be it from me to tell a fireman how to do his job, but jesus, Lipshitz*, you gotta let the whole city burn? I know there are intangibles here, but generally the recipe for doing your job successfully is: see flames, add water. So you were saddled with horses, buggies, and lanterns, but come on, firefighting is no profession for excuses. You really dropped the ball here, brother. To add insult to injury, they’ve named a soccer team after your failure. You are on the Mt. Rushmore of fuck-ups.
Charlie Weis, Head Coach, Notre Dame
charliechuckroast.jpg

Charlie Chalupa’s not just famous for his girth anymore. He’s led the Irish to their worst season in school history. The offensive guru has also led this tactiley talented team to their worst offensive season in school history, which is no easy task. He compiles his failures with blind arrogance and the cocksure attitude of someone who’s wildly successful at their job. He’s being heavily rewarded for his failures too. No matter what he does from here on out in his coaching career, this season, this trainwreck, this audacious failure, will be his legacy. Chew on that, Charles.
itriedtostickthelandingman.jpg

M Beanie, Boy Toy Wrangler/Driver, George Michael
This job seems pretty easy -
Step 1: Find a fucktoy for a rich, faded, liquid-hipped pop chanteuse a couple times a week.
Step 2: …
Step 3: Profit!
M was good at it too. He had Michael elbow deep in ass for a year. However, in an embarrassing parallel parking incident, Michael carped one time too many and his driver quit, leaving M holding the keys. When M was promoted to driver, things went to hell in a handbasket. In the past year alone, Mr. Michael’s been arrested three times for drunk driving, twice for soliciting sex in a park (who knew that was illegal?), he’s been to rehab twice, had Hoof & Mouth Disease once, and is now the more pathetic of the two (2) former members of Wham! This is a bad year and elevates Beanie instantly into the Hall of Fame.
Pam Ward, Broadcaster of Iowa football games, ESPN2
ward.jpg

Pammy is not pretty. This is no crime, to be sure, but she sought out a career in television so I think this shows a tremendous lack of self-awareness. She also talks for a living and her voice is… unfortunate. Her voice has the deaf tones of a demolitions expert and all the warmth of a well digger’s ass. To complete the hat trick, she talks about football for living and doesn’t know anything about football, at all. She is positively the worst announcer in the history of man.
souljaboy2.jpg

General Pickett, Confederate General, Battle of Gettysburg
You don’t need to be a military strategist to see why this was the turning point in the Civil War (GO NORTH!!! WOOOO!!!). I’ve been to Gettysburg. I’ve seen the battlefield and I can tell you, it’s no small jaunt. It’s really flat, but it’s a hell of a long way from one side to the other. I made it in cargo shorts and running shoes and I was tired and crabby as shit when I got to the other side. Also, I did it in March, not in July when Pickett made his hike. I can just imagine doing it with a musket and those fucking hideous wool unis! Were they a marching band or an army? Horrible fashion choice on their part, nearly as bad as their walk directly into the line of fire across that field. The Confederacy suffered a casualty rate of over 50%, many of which were Pickett’s men. Pickett’s Charge** was the beginning of the end for the South in the Civil War. Bad move, George.
Lucious Picard, Dialect Coach, Kevin Costner for Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
Costner was doing what all American actors do when they’re surrounded by “yes” men, he decided to take a role with an accent. The studio fearlessly cast the paunchy 40-ish rock hound as the young Brit Robin of Locksley. All they needed was someone to help the would-be archer to sound authentically British so they went with wunderkind Lucious Picard from the Royal Albert Hall of Drama. This did not go well. Costner’s accent came and went like a Yorkshire breeze; when it was good it was bad and when it was bad it was awesome. Sadly, unintentional comedy is not what they were going for and Picard spends these days replying to Madonna’s fan mail using “British sounding words”. Â
* Mort would be higher on this list (or lower?)Â but he made the best bratwurst chili in the history of man. This cannot be discounted.
** Pickett’s Charge inspired the Lost Cause, which was one of Beck’s best singles from his “mopey period”.

Ron Zook Is Pure Evil

Posted Nov 10th 2007 7:42PM by Mark Hasty
Filed under: Kansas Football, Ohio State Football, BCS, Illinois Football, Hawaii Football
ron-zook-240-sm.jpg
You realize what just happened, right? Now that Ohio State has soiled its BCS Championship Game bed, there are two, count 'em, two undefeated teams left in The Division Formerly Known As I-A: Kansas and Hawaii.

Now, clearly, nobody's going to begrudge the Jayhawks a place in the BCS Championship Game if they win out. They may have started the season against the likes of Southeast Louisiana and Mr. Stephen's Barber College, but if they finish undefeated, the Fightin' Manginos will have knocked off Mizzou and Oklahoma back-to-back. In a year where clearly nobody is any good, you can't turn up your nose at any team that runs the table.

Unless it's Hawaii, right?

Then what? Can you really justify putting the Rainbow Warriors in the title game? More to the point, can you really justify not doing it? And don't you think that if Hawaii finishes undefeated but doesn't get invited to the title game, that might--might--attract just a little bit of governmental scrutiny?

Not only that, but now who really belongs in the title game? Oregon? LSU? Arizona State? Boston College? West Virginia? Can Ohio State still stake a claim if they beat Michigan next week?

All this because Ron Zook's Illini squad wouldn't roll over and die against the #1 team in the country.

The BCS picture would be much clearer if Zook was as bad a coach as the people in Florida thought he was. But noooo, he had to go and redeem himself.

It comes down to this: If neither Fresno nor Boise State can get over on Hawaii, we're going to have a situation where a team finishes as one of at most two undefeated teams, but doesn't get invited to the title game. This happened back in 1998, when there were two undefeated teams teams in Division I-A: Tennessee and Tulane. Tulane didn't get a BCS invitation that year; there wasn't a Boise State rule back then. Today they'd have to be included.

But what if Hawaii gets invited to the Sugar Bowl and not the title game? Wow, just wait for the howling. It won't be coming from the hardcore college football fans, who know that going undefeated in the WAC isn't such a big deal. Somebody seems to do it every year. Good luck trying to explain it to a casual fan, though. Or, for that matter, Congress.

So if you don't want to see a complete BCS meltdown, start rooting for Fresno State and Boise State. But if you do want to see the BCS collapse, start saying "aloha" to the Rainbow Warriors.

Just remember that, wherever you find yourself leaning in the next couple weeks, it's all Ron Zook's fault. The people in Gainesville are horrified, I'm certain. Horrified, but not totally surprised.

Georgia is the Class of the SEC East

Posted Nov 10th 2007 7:40PM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: Auburn Football, Georgia Football, SEC
mark-richt-fingerszzz.jpg
What other conclusion is there? Georgia is peaking at exactly the right time. Their offense is firing on all cylinders and their defense is stingier than all get-out.

They're the best team in the East, hands down... at least for now.

QB Matt Stafford and RB Knowshon Moreno combined for 336 yards and 4 of Georgia's TDs in the Dawg's overpowering 45-20 victory over Auburn. Knowshon Moreno evokes memories of Herschel Walker; the freshman is a running back sensation is an All-SEC candidate in a league which already features two of the nation's best running backs (McFadden and Jones at Arkansas.)

Including their big win over long-time rival Auburn, the Dawgs have now won four straight., and seven of their last eight. Georgia's lone loss in that stretch may be the one that hurts the most: their 35-14 loss to Tennessee in early October put the Vols in the driver's seat for a data in Atlanta. Georgia must win out and hope for the Vols to lose to convert their awesome momentum into an SEC Championship Game appearance.

This team looks damn good and could win it all in Atlanta if they get the opportunity.

Cinci Grinds the Nutmeg State Team

Posted Nov 10th 2007 7:20PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Big East, Cincinnati Football, Connecticut Football
cincifbcelebrate2.jpg
During Cinci's 2-game losing streak, the Bearcats defense could not get stops. They would give up key conversions or just find ways to hurt themselves. The numerous turnovers a gambling defense had generated in the first six games suddenly weren't happening. Last week Cinci seemed to return to form against USF, but who knew if it was a fluke.

UConn by contrast had run its record to 8-1 on the strength of its defense that would get big stops and put the offense in a short field. The offense was not needed to generate long drives, just take advantage of opportunities. The strength of the Huskies was with a strong running game that could grind and wear down opponents.

Cinci came out and showed that they were playing the way they had in the early part of the season as they took down UConn 27-3. The offense was open and scored on their first possession. The Bearcats got the only turnover in the game and converted that into its second TD. On defense, Cinci stacked the line to stop the run and UConn could not get any offense generated.

UConn is still in contention for the Big East Championship. Stunningly, the three top teams in the Big East -- UConn, Cinci and WVU will play each other in the final weeks. WVU comes to Cincinnati next week and UConn goes to Morgantown the following week.

Illinois Stuns and Stones #1 Ohio State

Posted Nov 10th 2007 6:30PM by Brian Grummell
Filed under: Ohio State Football, Big 10, Illinois Football, Breaking News, The Word
illinois-ohio-state-425.jpg

Fourth and goal deep in your own zone with six minutes left? Sneak for one.

Third and seven a few plays later? Run for about ten.

Third and ten the next time through? No problem, run your quarterback up the middle for another first down.

Third and two? Fake a handoff and sneak your quarterback for three more to run the clock down to under two minutes left. What a series of plays for the Illini offense, eating up more than eight minutes and playing keepaway for nearly half the fourth quarter.

With their backs against the wall trailing by a touchdown, Ohio State's vaunted defense wilted before the Illini rush attack as Illinois iced the clock. Coach Ron Zook flashed a big pair of stones (weird imagery, don't think about it too much please) in going for that initial fourth down and succeeding. His players followed his lead in converting the seemingly mathematically impossible string of third and fourth down conversion attempts.

And so down went formerly #1 Ohio State, felled by four (four!) Illini touchdown passes and three self-inflicted interceptions to lose 28-21.

It's been that way all year for college football, hasn't it? LSU and Oregon just said "thank you!" and the maligned Ron Zook gets the unbelievable road victory for Illinois over #1 Ohio State.

Gophers Make History With Loss

Posted Nov 10th 2007 4:55PM by Bruce Ciskie
Filed under: Minnesota Football, Big 10
tim-brewster.jpg
When Tim Brewster took over at the University of Minnesota, he talked about getting this program to the Rose Bowl.

Let's hope he wasn't talking about this year.

The Gophers made a bit of history on Saturday, losing at Iowa 21-16. The loss drops Minnesota to 1-10 on the season, marking their first ten-loss season since 1983 and just the second in the long history of the Gopher football program.

You might remember 1983. Ronald Reagan was president. The median household income was around $20,000. The average home cost under $90,000. A first-class stamp was $0.20, and a gallon of gas cost an average of $1.24.

While all those things have changed, the Gopher program really hasn't. They peaked under Glen Mason with a couple of decent seasons, but have generally lounged around the area of mediocrity. Or they've been simply bad, as they are this season.

Not since 1988 has Minnesota gone winless in Big Ten play, something they will try to avoid next week at home against rival Wisconsin.

As embarrassing as the season has been, there hasn't been a widespread call for Brewster's head. Nor should there be. Glen Mason didn't do a great job with this program, and the cupboard wasn't exactly stocked with great players when Brewster took over. He will need to be given some time to straighten this ship out. From this disastrous season, Brewster can take out that his team competed hard, and they clearly haven't quit despite the lack of success.

Hawkeyes Bowl-Eligible, But They Could Still Use Help

Posted Nov 10th 2007 4:40PM by Mark Hasty
Filed under: Iowa Football, Minnesota Football, Minnesota
jake-christensen-240-sm.jpg
Well, at least they looked really good in the first quarter, right? Iowa busted out to a 14-0 first quarter lead over Minnesota today, then held on to beat Minnesota 21-16 in the Hawkeyes' Big Ten finale. The win makes the Hawkeyes bowl-eligible for the seventh straight season, though at this point a bowl bid is not guaranteed. A win over Western Michigan next week would probably provide that guarantee.

The win is priceless. All of Iowa's wins have been this season. This one, though, returns Floyd of Rosedale to his rightful home in Iowa City, and it marks the first time since the Syracuse game that Iowa's offense was able to get off to a fast start.

The finish, though, should give Hawkeye fans cause for concern. Iowa was held scoreless in the second half by a Minnesota defense that couldn't stop ice from melting in January. Meanwhile the stalwart Iowa defense allowed the Gophers to score a fourh-quarter touchdown that put Minnesota in a position to win the game with just a little luck.

Wins just don't come easily for the 2007 Hawkeyes, though. They're not capable of blowing anybody out, and this game wound up being a little harder than it should have been. Minnesota fell to 1-10 on the season, but they've been competitive in most of their games.

So what next for Iowa? Fan speculation is centering around a possible at-large bid to the Armed Forces Bowl, but the potential still remains for a great big logjam of mediocrity that could have the Hawkeyes getting picked for a bowl game ahead of Purdue or Indiana, both of whom flogged the Hawks like a rental car. Stay tuned.

Callahan Knows Belichick, Too

Posted Nov 10th 2007 4:33PM by Bruce Ciskie
Filed under: Nebraska Football, Big 12, NCAA FB Coaching, Kansas State Football
bill-callahan-yelly.jpg
Maybe it's just a game between these coaches. I don't know.

After last week's amazing 76-39 thrashing at the hands of Kansas, the Nebraska Cornhuskers returned home to Lincoln today to take out their frustrations on Kansas State.

And boy did they ever take out their frustrations.

Joe Ganz threw for 510 yards and seven touchdowns today as Nebraska thrashed Kansas State 73-31 in Lincoln.

I noted last week that Kansas coach Mark Mangino didn't shy away from driving the score up a little bit in last week's game. Well, Bill Callahan didn't call off the dogs, so to speak, in today's game.

Ganz was in the game throwing passes on four consecutive plays in the fourth quarter of a 59-17 game. He ended up throwing his seventh score of the game to make it 66-17 before he left the game.

In this case, it's a bit less ridiculous to leave a starter in. Nebraska is not likely to end up bowl-eligible, and it's certainly not going to be a major bowl trip if they are. Callahan is probably out of a job after the season no matter what.

But I wouldn't want to be Missouri. The Tigers visit Manhattan next week to play Kansas State. We'll see if K-State can keep the pattern going.

Alabama Suffers a Bigger Letdown Than Mississippi State

Posted Nov 10th 2007 4:23PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Alabama Football, SEC, Mississippi State Football
scroom.jpg
Arguably, Alabama suffered a classic letdown game loss after the effort against LSU last week. Well, except for the fact that Mississippi State was also slated for a letdown game of their own after upsetting Kentucky on the road. Kind of makes that argument a wash, so let's just skip that.

Neither team put on much of an offensive performance. Neither team could break 300 yards of total offense. Only 1 offensive touchdown between both teams in the game.

Mississippi State had only one offensive series that exceeded 50 yards of offense. Alabama had only two drives of over 50 yards. One ended in a field goal and the other was intercepted in the endzone and returned 100 yards for a Mississippi State touchdown.

That interception was the big play of the game. At a minimum it was a ten point swing for the Bulldogs. It not only gave Mississippi State a 1 point lead at the half, but it stopped Alabama from at least getting a field goal.

It also seemed to sap the confidence of Alabama QB John Parker Wilson. It showed as he came out in the second half and promptly threw another interception deep in his own side of the field. Mississippi State converted that into another TD.

Mississippi State's defense kept the Alabama offense off-balance the entire game. The Bulldog offense only seemed to do just enough despite four 3-and-outs

Wisconsin Upsets Michigan

Posted Nov 10th 2007 3:25PM by Bruce Ciskie
Filed under: Michigan Football, Wisconsin Football, Big 10, Breaking News, The Word
bucky-badger.jpg
Leading at halftime, Wisconsin knew it wasn't over against Michigan. The Wolverines would come back and try to make things interesting in the second half. They did, but Wisconsin was up to the task.

The Badgers used two late touchdowns to pull away and beat Michigan 37-21 on Senior Day at Camp Randall Stadium in Madison. Wisconsin (8-3, 4-3 Big Ten) still has a shot at a ten-win season if they can beat Minnesota next week and then win their bowl game. Michigan (8-3, 6-1 Big Ten) can still earn a trip to Pasadena if they beat Ohio State at home next weekend.

After closing the gap to 23-21, Michigan quarterback Ryan Mallett was intercepted on third-and-long by Jack Ikegwuonu. That pick led to a touchdown run for freshman Zach Brown that made it 30-21. Michigan was called for holding on the kickoff return, and Mallett couldn't get them out of that poor field position. After a fourth-and-20 pass fell incomplete, Brown ran another one in to give the Badgers a 37-21 lead with just over two minutes left.

Michigan went three-and-out, punted, and watched the Badgers run the clock out. Mallett threw for 245 yards, thanks in part to a 97-yard catch and run by Mario Manningham in the third quarter, but he was a hideous 11 for 36 passing. The Wolverines were held to 47 rushing yards, playing without injured senior Mike Hart.

Brown ended with his first career 100-yard game and his first two-touchdown game. He got the bulk of the work after Lance Smith left the game with a shoulder injury in the second quarter. P.J. Hill came off the bench for his first action in two weeks, but only carried five times. Wisconsin ran for 232 yards on the day, and they totaled 477 yards of offense. Senior quarterback Tyler Donovan left the game with an apparent wrist injury in the fourth quarter after a hit by Michigan's Obi Ezeh, but managed to throw for 245 yards and a touchdown before he left. Both Travis Beckum and Paul Hubbard topped 100 yards receiving.

Syracuse, The Cure for What Ails You

Posted Nov 10th 2007 2:16PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Syracuse Football, Big East, South Florida Football
mgrothe1.jpg
From a #2 ranking to unranked with 3 straight losses, South Florida was reeling. Their BCS dreams, Big East championship goals all fell quickly. Of course nothing restores confidence and makes a team feel better than beating up on a bad team.

That is what USF is doing to Syracuse today. A 27-3 lead early in the 3d quarter and it could have been much worse. The Bulls committed 9 penalties in the first half to really slow things down and take away a couple other scoring opportunities.

The Bulls have been so much faster than the Orange. Completely taking away what had remained of the Syracuse running game. On offense, just moving through Syracuse's defense.

The biggest difference for USF in this game is that the Bulls seem to be remembering to run the ball with someone other than QB Matt Grothe. Tailback Mike Ford is having a great game and the first time he has run for more than 70 yards since the Auburn game -- which was also the last time he had more than 8 carries.

The Beginning of the End?

Today was our worst-case scenario for the rest of the season, as we finally had our token game where we lose to a team we should easily beat. It is a proud tradition started by Toledo in 1997, and continued through today. Not only did we make way too many mistakes against a surprisingly crisp and motivated team, but off the field things happened in the conference that hurt our bowl positioning even more.

When the day started we looked to be a strong candidate for Outback bowl and, with a little help, maybe even the Capitol One Bowl. Now we may indeed return to Orlando, but it would be for a lucky appearance in the Champs Sports Bowl again. Most likely we’re headed west to the Insight Bowl at best. While that means we have a better chance to get a win than we would against a tough SEC opponent, if we play like we did today it won’t matter.

Ohio State’s shocking loss not only lessens chances for two BCS bids from the Big Ten if Michigan wins next week, but it vaults the Illini easily ahead of us regardless of what they do next week against Northwestern. Wisconsin beating Michigan and finishing with Minnesota means they are now securely ahead of us bowl-wise, and we already knew there would be no catching Michigan or Ohio State. Now we can’t even catch Penn State if they lose next week, meaning we’re no better than sixth right now.

This also places pressure on us to keep the bucket next week, because a loss there and another Michigan State win at home (which is highly possible) drops us to eighth at best in a possible 10-team pecking order. Both Indiana and Northwestern have a ton to play for next week by securing a seventh win, so do not count them out.

While I had hope that we had begun to turn a corner by having a close game last week I now see what others have seen for a long time. We are a program on a decline and we desperately need a win in the bucket game to save some face. Who knew beating Indiana would be a saving grace again for us? Consider who we have beaten this year.

Toledo – While they have played well of late, they are still a 5-5 MAC team. At least it was a road win.

Eastern Illinois – Oh boy, we beat a good 1-AA team.

Central Michigan – At 6-4 they may be our best win, but they still got annihilated by 1-AA North Dakota State. At least we may get a rematch in Detroit.

Minnesota – Another ND State victim. Easily the worst team in the conference and one of the worst in D-1A

Notre Dame – This used to be a proud moment for us, but they’re 1-9 meaning beating them means nothing.

Iowa – How different would this game have been if not for suspensions and injuries? At least this is likely a seven win team and win over a bowl team.

Northwestern – This is a very up and down team we got on a down day.

I am not saying we would have been that much better if we had won today, but my goodness we came out flat on a day when we needed a good start more than ever. Even the senior day festivities seemed very subdued and there was almost no energy in the stadium at the opening kickoff. We seemed to overcome this defensively early on by shutting down the run, but as we know that meant nothing. Michigan State is a team that wanted to run the football and they are good at it. The fact that we stopped them at this and made them change their game plan, yet they were still very successful is incredibly frustrating. There was some good this week, but it vastly was outweighed by the bad in a craptacular performance.

The Good:

Kory Sheets – When he was given the ball today he was money. 80 yards on six carries, 41 yards on two catches and two long touchdowns made him the most productive member of the team today. It’s a shame we couldn’t have gotten a lead because when combines with Taylor’s effort today we could have ground out the clock with a two-headed monster in the backfield. Unfortunately we never were able to get a stop and test that theory. Sheets made a pair of great plays on both his scores and played well up to his potential.

Curtis Painter – From my view at least, Painter’s two interceptions were at least aggressive. The first one was him throwing to an open Dustin Keller who would have caught the ball in stride and had a big gain. Sir Darien Adams read the pass perfectly and made a nice play. The second was a very similar type of play by the same player. Those were the only two mistakes by Painter in what was otherwise one of his better games, but unfortunately they were very costly mistakes that led to 10 points. Since we only had the ball for little more than 20 minutes Painter was very effective in those 20 minutes gaining more than 500 yards and scoring 31 points. That should be enough to win any day.

Jake Standeford – If we had just a few more kids on this team with his attitude we would be nearly unstoppable. Here is a guy that came to Purdue and was an invited walk-on mostly as a courtesy to his record-breaking brother. He busted his ass, actually found the field, and gives us the never quit attitude we sorely need. He never filled the stat sheet, but he did everything asked of him and anything possibly to help the team. He made most of his hay late today, but it is a testament to his character that he was still fighting out there. I will miss Jake Standeford, and I hop he can transfer his attitude to a few guys before he leaves.

The Bad:

Brock Spack – Something needs to be done with him. Those who read this blog know that I am generally very forgiving when it comes to our coaching staff, but his performance today was embarrassing. Devin Thomas was absolutely killing us, especially on third down, but even in the fourth quarter when we desperately needed a stop he was still being covered one-one-one with a 10 yard cushion. 10 catches, 112 yards, and every time on third down all Hoyer had to do was throw to him and he was still open. A couple of our rare third down stops were because Thomas dropped an open pass. This is an appalling failure to adjust to game conditions, and it needs to stop now.

Dropped passes – These absolutely killed us early when we could have built a lead. Orton dropped some big ones on our first couple of drives and Keller had a huge drop of an early first down. Our first drive ended due to dropped passes, and I wonder how different things would have been if we had gotten an early lead when the defense was actually playing well.

The Defense – Not only did we give up 48 points, the second most of the Tiller era next to the Notre Dame game two years ago, but we allowed Michigan State to hold the ball for nearly 40 minutes. Our offense was hot, and if not for the three turnovers leading to 17 points we easily still could have won with that time discrepancy. We couldn’t get a stop, and even when we did like on two field goal attempts we made a penalty to keep drives alive.

A lack of discipline - It was still barely a game when we succumbed to poor tackling on the fake punt. It was easily still a game when we jumped offsides to give them three points before the half. The crap face mask call on the fake field goal gave them another three points. Simply by screwing up we handed Michigan State 27 points via turnovers, boneheaded penalties, and general dumb play. In turn Michigan State gave us three points, as their PI call on our field goal drive kept it alive. I’ll give credit where credit is due because Michigan State played nearly flawless and simply made us pay dearly for all our mistakes. This was the biggest factor in today’s game.

What next:

Michigan State played a great game. They were motivated, they were confident and that grew as the game went on, and they turned a corner of their own today. I really don’t know what to do next for us. Right now I feel like I have been punched in the gut, and even if we beat Indiana and win our bowl game I feel like we took a severe step back today. We have an incredibly difficult schedule next year, one where nearly every team we face will be getting better while we will probably be a little worse. We may be more balanced offensively and defensively, but what good that will do I do not know.

I really feel for our seniors today, who were all surprisingly quiet aside from Standeford and Dustin Keller. Yeah we had seniors as our three leading tacklers, but the defense played so badly, especially on third down, that I can’t single anyone out as having a good game. We packed it in after Armstrong shanked a punt that could have pinned the Spartans deep, and we failed to truly stop them the rest of the way.

We can only control what we have in front of us now, and right now that is Indiana and a mystery bowl opponent. There is no reason we cannot win either of those, but we have to recover quickly lest we have the bucket taken from us by a very hungry Indiana team. After that, your guess is as good as mine for next year.

Miami In a Hurry to Leave the Orange Bowl

Posted Nov 10th 2007 9:09PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Miami Football, Virginia Football, ACC
miamioblast.jpg

The Hurricanes sure don't want to be there. They are getting destroyed by the Cavaliers 31-0 at halftime. QB Kyle Wright continues his inability to throw to his teammates rather then the opponent. He completed 4 passes to Miami players and 3 to Virginia players. Wright also managed to fumble a snap just for good measure. It's hard not to think that Wright is single-handedly killing Miami. His 34 yards passing is offset by -18 yards from sacks and attempted runs.

Miami has less than 100 yards of total offense, while the 101st offense nationally has over 200. The Miami defense hasn't exactly lived up to its reputation. They started by allowing Virginia to go 96 yards in a little over 3 minutes on the opening drive. They haven't quit, but they aren't very good.

Whatever magic and mystique the Orange Bowl had, clearly vacated well before the Hurricanes announced they would.

PETE CARROLL’S ENCHANTED GRIDIRON GROTTO

The rundown from Pete Carroll’s enchanted grotto, dictated to a stunning naked woman while we were busy trying to pull our swimsuit out of the intake pipe. We’ll be down here all day, since it’s nice and we can do EDSBS Live! from here too, 7-9 p.m. EST. Join us and have a Mai Tai, won’t you?
Ohio State, loss-enated. We need to watch a replay today, but from what we’ve seen the crux of the matter was the scrambling of Juice Williams at the end of the game securing first downs and squeezing the life out of the clock. That and the curse of Skip Bayless saying Todd Boeckman was a Hei*m*n candidate. You can’t defeat that kind of negative mojo.
Mike Patrick tends to bloat. Mike Patrick could not let Todd Blackledge off the hook for being a natural ectomorph despite eating the gravy-covered delights of college town diners weekly on Todd’s food segment.
“I’m amazed you’re not five hundred pounds.” And then Patrick kept the gravy jokes coming, but not in that friendly, ha-ha way, but in that bitchy, “you-never-gain-a-pound” kind of way. Mike Patrick can’t stand it when pretty, skinny Todd eats whatever he wants!
1798380903_342d8ecb0d_m.jpg
Suck it, Tedford!
Shawn Crable cost Michigan 30 yards in penalties on Wisconsin’s first drive, negating a pick on the first drive of the game for Wisconsin. Crable wasn’t alone, though–Michigan’s usually quarterback-hostile defense looked worse thanks to Tyler Donovan holding onto the ball until the last possible second, practically begging for the game-ending injury he eventually suffered: a huge bruise to the hand streaked with Michigan blue paint fro a helmet.
Jack Ikegwuonu of Wisconsin fought the most fascinating battle of the day, desperately swatting at The Manningham and hoping it wouldn’t get angry and run away too far with the ball. Subtract that teeny little 97 yard touchdown, the longest in Michigan history, and he mostly, sort of, kind of did that.
Hey, let’s just peek on that USF/Syracuse game for a sec. Allen Cray gets a horrible, horrible INT for USF in the Syracuse game. Off a helmet, lateral, into Cray’s hands. This is quite literally what we saw the instant we turned on the game. This was immediately followed by a lightning score by USF, a lazy throw through neglectful coverage on a TD to Carlton Mitchell. The Carrier Dome feels like a mortuary in orange.
Completely out-of-context announcer quote one: “You’re all about the O, Dave.”–from the Texas A&M/Mizzou FSS broadcast.
in that game, we had a brief window into the head of Dennis Franchione and Stephen McGee when Texas went for it on 4th and 9.
McGee: We’re going for it on 4th and goal from the 9?
Fran: Yes, son. I’m gonna make sure we make it with this awesome call.
McGee: By awesome, you mean totally fucking terrible, right?
Fran: You’re right son.
McGee: You’re gonna make me run a speed option, aren’t you? For no gain and a turnover?
Fran: You’re damn right son. They’ll see it coming, too. Because that’s just what we want them to think.
McGee: That we’re retarded?
Fran: Yes, son. That we’d rather be eating decorative cake pareils straight from jar.
McGee: Yes, sir.
Texas A&M actually did try this,
Clemson’s coaches’ shirts look like the ushers’ uniforms from Tomorrowland.
Ron Dayne=black Brian Blessed Put some wings on him and a brown leather bandelier, and he’s the funky King of the Hawk People.
Arkansas finally started passing when they were down 27-3. Mah txt mssg 4 u hustn Ntt sez: u r so smrt!
Out-of-context announcer quote two:Dave Archer says of Arkansas, “They’ve tried the backside option.” Who hasn’t, and like Arkansas, been unsuccessful in the attempt?
Mississippi State had cowbells all over the place in their 17-12 victory over Alabama. A din. Why another group of fans can’t decide to bring rape whistles into the stand and wail away when the opponent has the offense is beyond us. Especially because you could have a cheer on the screen like “LEMME HEAR YOUR RAPE WHISTLES!!!” Make this happen, terrible, “Zombie Nation”-loving stadium activity coordinators.
Titus Brown, wear a condom. You have NFL money in your future.
I’m not condemning them. I’m damning them. That’s different. Mike Leach continues to run through this life without paying the slightest regard to last week’s important policy memo.
“I think it’s disturbing that Austin residents are involved in this. People work too hard, too long, there’s too much money invested in these games to allow that,” Leach said.
“Am I condemning the crew? Hell yeah, I’m condemning the crew,” Leach said.
Texas Tech had several TDs taken off the board during their 59-43 loss to Texas.
Air Force running back Chad Hall looks like he’s playing for the trip to Pizza Hut afterwards. He got to go back to the pizza bar as many times as he wanted after running for 272 all-purpose yards on Notre Dame as the Irish earn the Iraqi Republican guard award for losing to both service academies in one year in a 41-24 loss to the Falcons. They had the dessert pizza and everything, mom!
Evil Richt was in the house, again. Evil Richt is in full force for Georgia now: livening up the crowd when Auburn audibled, trotting the team out in black uniforms, and getting uncharacteristically angry when a call didn’t bend Georgia’s way. If he kissed the wife after Florida, Kathy Richt is waking up like Scarlett after being carried up the staircase. You’re not turning me out tonight, Kathy! (swoon!)
Rennie Curran really did swim all the way from Liberia to hit you, Brad Lester.
Charlie Weis looks older. Either this season has aged him or he’s starting to show the signs of a Dorian Gray deal beginning to go sour.
Perry Farrell singing for Pontiac is further proof that heroin addiction and a bisexual youth in the dregs of Los Angeles can get you somewhere, kids. 50 Cent is so street! He’s rapping for Pontiac! With the guy who sang “Ted, Just Admit It!” Fiddy could shoot him, but Perry would just leak sand from the wounds and wind himself back up like Karl Ruprecht Kroenen from Hellboy
Seven touchdowns. If only there were some kind of award that could recognize a player for being the best player in the country regardless of age or location or television exposure, some kind of award…we’d give that hypothetical award to Tim Tebow. 5 rushing TDs, 2 passing TDs, a single-handed demolition of the South Carolina defense. Holly suggested we cover the space shuttle in whatever he’s made of; we’re at a loss to describe what he is as a player. South Carolina’s defense has been hapless, but Florida without Percy Harvin could have been susceptible. Tim Tebow insured against that possibility by himself.
He’s the best football player we’ve ever seen at Florida. Ever ever ever.

Evil Richt Rocks the House

After the Florida game, Orson Swindle told me that Georgia brought Evil Richt to the Cocktail Party. Well, it looks like Kathryn sent Evil Richt to his second game of the season. (Image: DawgPost.com)

Evil Richt knows how to party. Evil Richt would drink you under a table. Evil Richt shot a man in Reno just to watch him die. Evil Richt stares down officials and eats them for breakfast. Evil Richt fell into a burning ring of fire and laughed about it. Evil Richt once spent a night in the Starkville City jail for picking flowers. Evil Richt wears black.

I heart Evil Richt. Frankly, I'd like to roll with Evil Richt, but I'm not man enough. Plus, I just said, "I heart..." That's a good way to get your ass kicked when riding with the Coach in Black.

The AJC has the story of the uniform change. Actually, they have two stories on the making of the Blackout. Apparently, the seniors knew, but no one else new for sure.

Someone tell Mark to grow a goatee. It's the only thing missing from the Evil Richt look. More on the game later.

Bowden, FSU talk contract extension

<script type="text/javascript"><!-- google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135"; google_alternate_color = "ffffff"; google_ad_width = 300; google_ad_height = 250; google_ad_format = "300x250_as"; google_ad_type = "text_image"; //2007-06-19: entries google_ad_channel = "0603066557"; google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; google_color_link = "003399"; google_color_text = "333333"; google_color_url = "999999"; //--> </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> </script><iframe name="google_ads_frame" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0237893561790135&dt=1194798119421&lmt=1194798118&alt_color=ffffff&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1194798119406&channel=0603066557&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanblogs.com%2Fflorida_state%2F007278.php&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=333333&color_link=003399&color_url=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&cc=100&ga_vid=1546096358.1193703380&ga_sid=1194798119&ga_hid=1016733913&ga_fc=true&flash=9&u_h=768&u_w=1280&u_ah=738&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-480&u_his=1&u_java=true&u_nplug=26&u_nmime=104" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="250" scrolling="no" width="300"></iframe> The Tallahassee Democrat reports that Florida State is in negotiations with Head Coach Bobby Bowden to extend his contract for an untold number of years.
Negotiations are under way to extend Bowden's contract and allow for those possibilities. Bowden's current five-year contract, valued at $2 million-plus annually, expires Jan. 4. FSU President T.K. Wetherell and Bowden's Birmingham-based attorney, Russ Campbell, said they are eager to reach an agreement to extend the contract. Wetherell would not be pinned to the length of an extension but said that it would be a multi-year offer.​
The new agreement will include a raise for Bowden, as well as a "no penalty" clause that would allow Bowden to retire without penalty or repayment.
The five-year extension that took place before the 2003 season did not reflect significant financial increases and Campbell said Bowden deserves a raise. "Clearly we want him to be compensated according to his accomplishments," Wetherell said.
What FSU officials aren't saying is that the contract extension is intended to answer questions about Bowden's future with the Seminoles. By extending Bowden's contract, Florida State hopes to allay any concerns that recruits might have and counter any negative recruiting.
Florida State currently has the fifth-ranked recruiting class in the country for 2008.

Virginia brings wrecking ball to Miami's house

<script type="text/javascript"><!-- google_ad_client = "pub-0237893561790135"; google_alternate_color = "ffffff"; google_ad_width = 300; google_ad_height = 250; google_ad_format = "300x250_as"; google_ad_type = "text_image"; //2007-06-19: entries google_ad_channel = "0603066557"; google_color_border = "FFFFFF"; google_color_bg = "FFFFFF"; google_color_link = "003399"; google_color_text = "333333"; google_color_url = "999999"; //--> </script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"> </script><iframe name="google_ads_frame" src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-pub-0237893561790135&dt=1194798637453&lmt=1194798637&alt_color=ffffff&format=300x250_as&output=html&correlator=1194798637453&channel=0603066557&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fanblogs.com%2Fvirginia%2F007276.php&color_bg=FFFFFF&color_text=333333&color_link=003399&color_url=999999&color_border=FFFFFF&ad_type=text_image&ref=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Freader%2Fview%2F&cc=100&ga_vid=1546096358.1193703380&ga_sid=1194798119&ga_hid=1405322471&ga_fc=true&flash=9&u_h=768&u_w=1280&u_ah=738&u_aw=1280&u_cd=32&u_tz=-480&u_his=1&u_java=true&u_nplug=26&u_nmime=104" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" vspace="0" hspace="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0" height="250" scrolling="no" width="300"></iframe> With the Orange Bowl slated for demolition early next year, Virginia brought their own wrecking ball to town - shutting out Miami in one of the Hurricanes highest profile games in recent years.
The 48-0 whooping UVa administered was the biggest shutout loss in Orange Bowl history, just topping the 1973 loss Miami endured at the hands of Notre Dame, 44-0.
There were dozens of former star Miami players in attendance for the Orange Bowl's farewell, including some wearing national championship and Super Bowl rings. Too bad they weren't wearing uniforms. The Hurricanes desperately needed the help.
So how's this for one last piece of Orange Bowl history? It was Miami's first home shutout loss since Oct. 4, 1974 against Auburn, and the Hurricanes' worst defeat since losing 66-13 at Syracuse on Nov. 28, 1998. The last time Miami lost by more points at home was in 1944, when Texas A&M beat the Hurricanes 70-14.
Miami had double the security team in place for this game - nearly 300 officers - ready to arrest any fans who attempted to make off with Orange Bowl souvenirs. But the fans left quietly... long before the game ever ended.
No one tried it as the clock ran out. Of course, most everyone was gone by then, not around to see an 85-yard "Thanks for the Memories" banner get unfurled on the field as white confetti shot into the sky. "Looking at the stuff coming down, you'd think we won the Super Bowl," Wright said. "Not the way you want to go out as a senior. I was feeling like apologizing to everyone here, to everyone affiliated with the university."

Tennessee Volunteers steal the show against the Arkansas Razorbacks, 34-13
By Joel Section: Arkansas Razorbacks
Posted on Sun Nov 11, 2007 at 08:08:17 AM EDT

McFadden, McFadden, McFadden.
McFadden, Jones, McFadden.
Last week, it was all McFadden all the time, here and there and everywhere. Seriously, what else were we going to talk about? Darren McFadden had rushed for 321 yards against Steve Spurrier the previous week, and he and Felix Jones had stuck 487 on the Gamecocks. Numbers like solicit exclamations like "unbelievable," and Volunteer fans relegated to cheering for a defense giving up an average of 168 yards on the ground were facing a terribly frightening scenario: McFadden and Jones were taking their show on the road. To Knoxville.
In the midst of all of this hysteria, Tennessee running backs Arian Foster, Montario Hardesty, and Lennon Creer quietly made a resolution: they were going to steal the show. They did, and then the Tennessee defense stole the stolen from them.
Draw the curtain:
<center> <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" title="South Carolina at Tennessee: 2007 Animated Drive Chart" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=7,0,19,0" align="absmiddle" height="291" width="560">

<embed src="http://www.rockytoptalk.com/images/admin/drive_chart_2007_arkansas_tennessee.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" quality="high" align="absmiddle" height="291" width="560"> </object> Full screen version.
The plan was to run the ball, milk the clock, and pray for defense. Check, check, and check. That first drive was a thing of beauty. It consisted of nearly two times more pass plays than run plays, but it ate five minutes and ended with seven points for the Vols.
Tennessee then rolled the dice by kicking off directly to Jones and immediately regretted it, as Jones sped his way around the pursuit to the Tennessee 34. And then the most amazing thing happened: Tennessee found the defense it had misplaced after the Georgia game. Despite the fact that Arkansas' second drive started within sniffing distance of the goal line, the Vol D held the Hogs to a field goal. It would be Arkansas' best drive of the half and the only one that featured a first down.
On the ensuing kickoff, Tennessee's Dennis Rogan kept up with, and overtook, the Joneses, taking the return all the way to the Arkansas fifteen yard line. One Daniel Lincoln field goal later, the Vols were up 10-3.
Tennessee then wisely took to squibbing all subsequent kickoffs, and the remainder of Arkansas' first half drives resulted in the following:​
</center>
  • Twenty-nine yards
  • Zero first downs
  • One interception
Meanwhile, Tennessee gained another 119 yards (53 by the three-headed running back monster Lenarianario Crardester), ten points, and seven first downs. By the end of the half, the Volunteers had possessed the ball for 21 minutes to Arkansas' nine.
After the first drive of the second half (culminating in an excellently-blocked 59-yard touchdown run by Arian Foster), Tennessee's offense achieved little more than a low calorie diet of clock, but the defense, well, they were stealing the show. Arkansas' second half drives:
  • Seven yards and a punt
  • 46 yards and a field goal
  • 61 yards and a failed fourth-down conversion
  • Minus 18 yards and a punt
  • Touchdown
  • Interception (by Jerod Mayo, returned for a touchdown)
  • Interception (by Eric Berry, returned 61 yards)
The Tennessee defense rarely even "bent" in the first half, and although it was as flexible as an Olympic gymnast in the second, it only "broke" once and made up for that with a score of its own. This bend-but-don't-break game plan, combined with the offense's general futility in the second half, resulted in some ostensibly even statistics. But don't be fooled: Tennessee dominated this game. The formerly maligned Volunteer defense held the formerly vaunted Razorback offense to 289 yards (remember, McFadden himself had 321 last week, and the team had 542), one touchdown, and two field goals. It dashed the hopes of one of the leading Heisman contenders by holding him to 117 yards on the ground.
Arkansas and Darren McFadden rolled into Knoxville on Saturday bringing the national spotlight with them. The Tennessee running backs and John Chavis' defense then proceeded to put together a performance compelling the spotlight to shine on them like a long lost friend. Standing O for stealing the show, gentlemen.
Charts, which don't really tell the story of this game, after the jump.

<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="FC_2_3_StckdColumn3D.swf" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/ flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" height="340" width="480">

<embed src="http://www.viewfromrockytop.com/wp-charts/FC_2_3_StckdColumn3D.swf" name="FC_2_3_StckdColumn3D" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" bgcolor="#ffffff" flashvars="&dataURL=http://www.viewfromrockytop.com/wp-charts/arkansas_tennessee_first_downs.xml" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" height="340" width="480"> </object> </p> <center>
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="FC_2_3_StckdColumn3D.swf" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/ flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" height="340" width="500">

<embed src="http://www.viewfromrockytop.com/wp-charts/FC_2_3_StckdColumn3D.swf" name="FC_2_3_StckdColumn3D" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" bgcolor="#ffffff" flashvars="&dataURL=http://www.viewfromrockytop.com/wp-charts/arkansas_tennessee_total_offense.xml" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" height="340" width="500"> </object> </p>
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="FC_2_3_Pie3D.swf" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/ flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" height="289" width="390">

<embed src="http://www.viewfromrockytop.com/wp-charts/FC_2_3_Pie3D.swf" name="FC_2_3_Column3D" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" bgcolor="#ffffff" flashvars="&dataURL=http://www.viewfromrockytop.com/wp-charts/arkansas_tennessee_rushing.xml" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" height="289" width="390"> </object> </p>
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="FC_2_3_Pie3D.swf" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/ flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" height="287" width="390">

<embed src="http://www.viewfromrockytop.com/wp-charts/FC_2_3_Pie3D.swf" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" bgcolor="#ffffff" flashvars="&dataURL=http://www.viewfromrockytop.com/wp-charts/arkansas_tennessee_time_of_possession.xml" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" height="287" width="390"> </object> </p></center>
<object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" id="FC_2_3_Pie3D.swf" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/ flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" height="289" width="390">

<embed src="http://www.viewfromrockytop.com/wp-charts/FC_2_3_Pie3D.swf" name="FC_2_3_Column3D" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" bgcolor="#ffffff" flashvars="&dataURL=http://www.viewfromrockytop.com/wp-charts/arkansas_tennessee_receiving.xml" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" quality="high" height="289" width="390"> </object>
</p>

Leach Rips Officials
By djollie111 Section: Diaries
Posted on Sun Nov 11, 2007 at 12:51:21 AM EDT

[editor's note, by Seth C] I thought this might create some discussion this morning.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AvHcUJXm97ci7.CPJjD1uqs5nYcB?slug=ap-texastech-leachrant& ;prov=ap&type=lgns
Mike Leach has finally said something about officiating in the Big 12. Even the commentators saw Shipley's heel come down out of bounds. That holding call was technically correct, but that's usually a no-call. I'm not so sure this game was as bad as last year's, but it has been pretty apparent that the crews favor Texas in this matchup for the last few years.
I do remember one thing that had me incensed last year:
Let's rewind to the Tech-UT game...there was an overruled Filani catch, a non-call on McCoy with an illegal pass, two bad spots on Tech completions, and numerous others. Mike Leach sent a tape to the Big 12. The Big 12's official response to disputed calls in the game was "any comments made toward the respective schools is not available for public release."
Now, what happened after the Missouri-Iowa State game? Well, that Monday immediately after the game, "The league's supervisor of officials admitted Monday that the crew working Saturday's Missouri-Iowa State game made a wrong call..."
They contradicted their own "policy" by even commenting on the game. Leach may get fined, but at least it will get some response from the conference.

[editor's note, by Seth C] I've added the following from Don Williams' blog, Raider Rants, about the officials. A much different perspective:

Leach said the way the Big 12 goes about officiating needs a major overhaul, including not allowing officials to call games of their hometown teams and bringing in crew members from faraway places to guard against perceived biases. It was all very measured, very controlled – and even a little bit funny at one point. Leach spent a couple of minutes saying he was going to go off on officiating. At that point, he amused the pack when someone prompted him with a question.
“Are you gonna misbehave?’’ Leach asked in kidding fashion. “You don’t want to be dismissed, do ya? This is pretty good. This is as good as it gets. I mean, hang on to your seat here.’’
Leach detailed his grievances, glancing often at his play sheet, and retreated to the locker room, but that wasn’t the end of it. After one or two of his players had spoken, out came Leach again to rail against the video review system, calling it “a sham.’’
“That either needs to be done away with, or it needs to be done correctly,’’ Leach said. “It’s a brother-in-law process that makes the officials look like they get the calls right and everybody’s doing a great job of working. I’m tired of the way that we pretend we’re actually reviewing plays closely. I’m tired of the way that as soon as somebody’s about to challenge a play that they immediately review it, so that the officials can look correct like they’re cleaning their own house.’’
There were five plays reviewed in Saturday's game.

Florida Rolls Through, Over, and Above South Carolina; Spurrier Starts Feeling the Heat

Posted Nov 11th 2007 6:51AM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: Florida Football, SEC, South Carolina Football, NCAA FB Coaching
steve-spurrier-180b.jpg
The most important stat in Florida's 51-31 romp over South Carolina is a single number: 1.

That's the number of times the Gamecocks forced the Gators to punt.

That lone punt came late in the 4th quarter with the game already decided. All of the other stops came at the hands of the Gators themselves in the form of turnovers.

Of the Gators' 537 yards, Florida QB Tim Tebow personally accounted for 424 total yards -- 304 passing and 120 rushing, as well as an astonishing 7 total touchdowns. And he did it with his best playmaker, Percy Harvin, sitting at home in Gainesville nursing a severe sinus infection.

In their last two games, the Gamecocks' maligned defense has now given up nearly 1200 total yards of offense to their opponents.

Not that the Gamecocks' offense was outstanding, either. The Cocks only rushed for 68 yards and appeared to give up the run before the end of the first half.

The Gators were 12-16 on 3rd down, while the Gator defense held South Carolina to 2-12 on their conversion attempts.

Fans of the 'Cocks are pissed. For the first time ever at South Carolina, legendary head coach Steve Spurrier and his coaching staff are starting to feel just a tinge of heat. (Perhaps my earlier thoughts on Spurrier weren't too far off the mark?) In a post titled "The Worst Season Ever", the Cool Chicken writes:

I will always support the players. Always. The coaches are a different animal. If Coach Spurrier does not fire [defensive coordinator] Coach Nix, this season will fall squarely on his shoulders and even though he is a great coach, it might be time for us to look somewhere else. You heard me.

From Gamecock Central's message boards, bcgamecock writes:
I thought Holtz could change the losing culture and he made some positive steps but not as big as I thought he would. Then I just knew Spurrier could change it. I've even been on here preaching to the nay-sayers the past few weeks. I'm not so sure now. ... I really don't think he can make us into a team that can contend year in and year out for the SEC. We might contend early in the year, we might even 'mathematically' be in the running late in a season or two, but I think that's as good as it's ever gonna be here. I hope I'm wrong.
stopmybugs writes:
Should he stay or should he go? I think he stays my wife says he needs to go
granitegamecock responds:
If history teaches anything, it really does not matter who coaches here, it has not improved by any discernable measure when you look at the "average" win loss ratios of the last 10-15 years or heck even more. Sure there have been ups and downs, but we always return to mediocre. So, SOS may as well stay. He can either tarnish his legacy like Holtz, or he can do something about. Heaven only knows which it will be.
So there you have it. While Spurrier is not yet on the hotseat, the heat has officially been switched on.

Video of Colt Brennan's concussion hit (congrats to all the late game chasers):

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzqQPznFvHg&rel=1&border=0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzqQPznFvHg&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

And Then There Were Two (Undefeateds): Kansas and Hawaii

Posted Nov 11th 2007 2:59AM by Brian Grummell
Filed under: Kansas Football, Big 12, WAC, BCS, Featured Stories, The Word, Hawaii Football
kansas-players-fans-425.jpg

Not exactly what you expected way back in late August, huh?

Ok so maybe Hawaii, but Kansas! And where's USC? LSU? Ahhh 2007, you're a fickle beast.

The Jayhawks are doing their level best to be the wrench in this already cracked out season. Nobody's taking Hawaii seriously and most fully expect them to lose to Boise State soon enough. Losing your quarterback indefinitely with what I can only describe as near-decapititis doesn't help matters.

So let's talk about Kansas. They're good. Really good. I just don't know about "best or second best team in the country good". Scheduling a boatload of cupcakes and skipping Texas and Oklahoma within your conference slate tends to make a fair evaluation difficult. Wonder why I hate 12-team conferences? This is why.

After beating Oklahoma State today, Kansas' season boils down to Missouri and the Big 12 Championship game (likely against Oklahoma). Their offense is very good, sometimes spectacular. But it says something about the amazingly low degree of difficulty within their schedule that they're second nationally in scoring defense.

They showed resilience today in pouring in another 40+ point effort against Oklahoma State, fending off several late surges with lengthy kick returns and touchdowns of their own. It's great theatre and winning football, but we simply haven't seen this team play enough against upper level competition or dire road threats (Kansas just isn't a name brand to turn a place like Stillwater into a scary venue on a cool November night).

So when I sit down to rank this team, it's hard not to write "Pending" and sort of hope they lose once or twice before it's all over. They've been perfect against the schedule and that matters a great deal, but it's not everything - ask Tulane. Unfortunately for college football there are no great teams this year to put Kansas' argument to bed. There is no Texas/USC like 2005 to quiet the noise. It's nice to have the championship chase this wide-open this late, but . . . Ron Zook.

Pac-10 Officials Outdo Themselves

Posted Nov 11th 2007 2:36AM by Brian Grummell
Filed under: Washington Football, Pac 10, Breaking News, The Word, Oregon State Football
oregon-state-conference-240.jpg
All year I've had a running conversation with my colleague Charles Rich about what conference has the worst officials. He's made good points about certain situations in the ACC and I can name plenty of Pac-10 situations beyond the obvious Oregon/Oklahoma fiasco.

Tonight's performance may top that.

I didn't immediately see it, but a friend did and what follows is a piecing together (along with what I'm reading on various message boards) of the play in dispute between Oregon State and Washington.

Leading Washington 29-23 late in their game, Oregon State tailback Yvenson Bernard ran for about 10 yards and was tackled near the opponent goal line. He was clearly down, side on the ground, arm down, everything. But after another moment he became separated from the ball. Everyone stood around realizing the play was dead, but then a Washington player scooped up the ball and returned it nearly for a touchdown.

Officials then inexplicably and horrendously gave possession to the Huskies. There was no review, no change, no stoppage of play to evaluate what had just happened. A chorus of boos erupted from the Beaver faithful as Washington unsuccessfully ran what would have been a game-winning offensive possession. Fortunately for the Beavers, the Huskies turned the ball over on downs and Oregon State was able to escape with its rightful victory.

Although the players celebrated their win on the field, the fans continued to boo and protest, clearly put off by what appears to have been a horrendous and nearly game-changing mistake by Pac-10 officials. I hate to use the word crisis, but the credibility of Pac-10 officials is very low and once people get word of this ... it's going to be hard for the league to manage its officials with "business as usual" policies.

Anyway, Charles: at least for this week, I'm right about which conference has the worst officials. Let's hope some ACC team doesn't suffer under an even worse call next weekend.

Utes crush Wyoming, Angry Joe Glenn embarrassed nationally
By JazzyUte Section: Football
Posted on Sun Nov 11, 2007 at 02:50:53 AM EDT

What a crazy game. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it before in my life. Utah faking a punt, going with the old fumble rooskie, a hook and lateral, an onside kick in the 3rd quarter leading 43-0 and Wyoming's desperate and pathetic coach flipping Kyle Whittingham off. This game had it all and will definitely go down in the annals of history. A great performance by the Utes and I promise to have MUCH, MUCH more on this game over the next couple of days!

joeglennonefingersalute.gif
Well screw you too!

<!-- poll box -->
<table align="center" width="40%"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table>

It's A Special Weekend of Offense in the Big 12

Posted Nov 11th 2007 1:15AM by Brian Grummell
Filed under: Kansas Football, Nebraska Football, Big 12
chase-daniel-teammate-240.jpg
High scores are a given in college football. Not every game mind you, but a decent handful.

It's just a little strange, however, to see so many potent offensive displays within one conference on one particular weekend. Particularly a conference of former defensive powers (Oklahoma, Texas, Nebraska) and offensive lightweights (Kansas, Baylor, Iowa State).
  • Nebraska 73 - Kansas State 31
  • Texas 59 - Texas Tech 43
  • Oklahoma 52 - Baylor 21
  • Kansas 43 - Oklahoma State 28
  • Missouri 40 - Texas A&M 26
  • Iowa State 31 - Colorado 28
See that? In six conference games, Iowa State was the laggard among victors with a low of 31 points. Woeful Baylor dropped 21 on Oklahoma's vaunted defense (14 of those in the contested first half). And what the heck got into Nebraska that they poured 73 on Kansas State?

I'd say today was a display of Pac-10 football. Or maybe WAC football. But it's beyond that. Way, way beyond it.

Commentators like to say we're in an era of parity. I disagree, but that's for another day. In truth, we're simply in an era of offensive football. Scholarship limits have something to do with it, but I think there's been a budding schematic offensive push at the game's lower levels that has steadily put pressure on the overall system.

The dam may have broke this year (if not earlier) with the great variety of offensive schemes now on display in the college game. The spread is the main culprit, having revolutionized the SEC and helped Texas to a national championship. But there are others, many of the same name but different flavor which you'll see with how Missouri's spread differs from Texas Tech's which differs from the more balanced look Kansas presents. Whatever you call it, once woeful teams may still be woeful, but they're now going down with a fight and inflicting heavy damage against once indomitable defenses.

Anyway, even by modern standards this was a spectacular weekend of offense for the Big 12. Hope you caught it!

It's Video Game Football as Navy Scores 74

Posted Nov 11th 2007 12:44AM by Brian Grummell
Filed under: Navy Football, Conference USA, Featured Stories, The Word, North Texas Football
navy-cheerleader-crowd-180.jpg
Oh, and their opponent North Texas dropped in 62 points for good measure. No, it's not WAC football, but it sure is special.

For the math challenged that's 136 regulation points between two college football teams.

Imagine the noise made by those old school adding machines or cash registers. Now pretend they started making noise for every chunk of say, 10 yards. Place them on the sidelines for today's game and imagine how absolutely constant and annoying they would be adding up the 1300 units of combined yardage between these two teams.

Frankly, I'm thrilled. I'm an offensive guy so that stuff just makes me grin from ear to ear. Defense is important (crucial, in fact), but I'm a positive motion kind of guy. Defense is simply the art of getting in the way and tonight neither team made much effort to get in the way.

Navy already leads the nation in rushing, but they've probably iced the rushing title with a few weeks to spare after churning out 572 yards tonight (on 57 carries! 10 yards/attempt!).

Anchors aweigh!

Notre Dame Keeps Making New History

Posted Nov 11th 2007 12:24AM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Notre Dame Football, Mountain West, NCAA FB History, Air Force Football
ndpile.jpg
And none of it is anything they particularly wanted to claim.

With the 42-24 loss to Air Force, the Irish achieved a few dubious things.
  • Notre Dame's first 9 loss season in the Irish history.
  • The sixth straight home loss is a first for Notre Dame.
  • The most lopsided loss by ND to a service academy in 44 years (Navy winning 35-14 in 1963).
  • The first time ND has lost to two service academies in the same year since 1944.
Unofficially, I think the record for cracks regarding the "decided schematic advantage" of Charlie Weis coaching Notre Dame went for an all-time high today.

Locker Carted Off

Posted Nov 11th 2007 12:06AM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Washington Football, Pac 10, NCAA FB Injuries, Oregon State Football
jlocker.jpg
Jake Locker was carted off the field late in the 1st half of the Washington-Oregon State game. The Washington QB took a helmet-to-helmet hit while running with the ball and went down hard.

The reports are spotty, but his head was immobilized and there was concern about an injury to the neck and spine. He was being taken to a local hospital for x-rays and possibly a cat scan.

The later reports are saying that Locker is feeling pain in his neck. Something that is actually a good thing. Just an absolutely scary hit and injury. Hopefully it isn't anything long term.

Boston College Plays the Same Song

Posted Nov 10th 2007 11:34PM by Charles Rich
Filed under: Boston College Football, Maryland Football, ACC
saponavicius.jpg
By the time Tom O'Brien left Boston College for North Carolina State, it seemed a lot like an amicable divorce. Boston College appreciated the job he had done for them, but it was time for both sides to move on to something else. BC fans were a little tired of solid 7-9 win regular seasons, a minor bowl, and a ranking in or near the top-25. There had to be something better.

Enter Jeff Jagodzinski and a more open offense. The Eagles reeled off 8 straight wins, had a Heisman candidate QB and a solid defense. This year, at least, things would be different.

Um, no. After the loss to Florida State, Boston College gets dropped by Maryland 42-35.

Maryland had lost three straight including a stunner to North Carolina and hadn't scored more than 17 points in that space. In only one game against 1-A opponents did Maryland exceed 30 points this season. Tonight they exploded on offense. Despite starting running back Keon Lattimore not playing, Lance Ball ran for over 100 yards and Chris Turner threw for over 300 yards.

Boston College hadn't allowed a team to score 30 points all season. Against the Terrapins, the BC defense continued to give up big plays.

The Eagles are now 8-2 with a game at Clemson next week. Essentially to decide who will be going to the ACC Championship game from the Atlantic division.

'Crooming' No Longer Reflects Mississippi State Football

Posted Nov 11th 2007 11:02AM by Ryan Ferguson
Filed under: Alabama Football, SEC, NCAA FB Coaching, Mississippi State Football
sylvester-croom-180w.jpg
FanHouse brought the phrase and concept of "Crooming" into the college football lexicon.

And now, perhaps it's time to take it back out.

Stop the presses: Mississippi State has a 2-game win streak over Bama and Croom is 1-0 against the highest paid coach in the sport.

Although their 17-12 win over Saban's Tide wasn't pretty, it was a win against one of college football's most storied programs.

At 6-4, Croom's Bulldogs are bowl eligible with two games remaining against Arkansas and Ole Miss -- both are winnable. An eight win season, unthinkable just 10 weeks ago, is now a distinct possibility.

The kids from Starkville, MS now own wins over three ranked teams: Auburn, Kentucky, and Alabama. They beat a scrappy UAB team and were competitive against #25 Tennessee and #16 South Carolina.

"Crooming" is a dying concept, because there's no shame in losing to a capable team, and the Bulldogs' record proves that they are certainly capable. And so is Sylvester Croom.

Winning at Mississippi State might be the toughest job in the SEC, and in his third year Sylvester Croom has produced. Croom is a good man doing things the right way, and FanHouse is pleased to revoke the dreaded 'Crooming' label from popular use. Please update your urban dictionaries, folks.

Utah-Wyoming highlights. Now you'll know why Whittingham "ran it up" and why this game will be important for next year:

Talkin' Sports on Bird-RUTS Gate
Posted on Sun Nov 11, 2007 at 02:53:03 PM EDT

Yup, the shit is hitting the fan. This game won't be forgotten (for both sides, probably).

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CZx5i7LMKu0&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>​
<!-- poll box -->
<table align="center" width="40%"><tbody><tr><td>
</td></tr></tbody></table><object height="355" width="425">
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CZx5i7LMKu0&rel=1&border=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>

SUNDAY QUARTERBACK GETS DEFENSIVE
By SMQ
Posted on Sun Nov 11, 2007 at 02:22:03 PM EDT

This is not the space for a thorough examination of a year-long trend (maybe later in the week), but my god, friends, whatever happened to defense? Of 51 games between I-A teams this weekend, in only eleven of them were both teams held below 30 points, and 25 teams scored at least forty. The average game featured 60 points, and three went over 100, including the highest-scoring regulation game in NCAA history, Navy's ridiculous 74-62 win over North Texas - the Midshipmen and Mean Green combined for nine touchdowns in the second quarter alone, and 19 for the afternoon.

1987_osu_spielman_caglage.jpg

Tackle drill, dammit! Strap 'em on, son! Bring your feet!
- - -

This is not a mid-major thing - the top-ranked defense in the country allowed 260 yards rushing and four touchdown passes; the second-ranked defense in the SEC allowed 417 yards and six touchdowns; Boston College, slated to play for the mythical championship a little over a week ago, allowed 42 points to the 98th-ranked offense in the country; and then there's the Big 12:
<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2"> <tbody><tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(164, 74, 74) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="center">Winner</td> <td align="center">Score</td> <td align="center">Loser</td> <td align="center">Score</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="right">Missouri</td> <td align="center">40</td> <td align="right">Texas A&M</td> <td align="center">26</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Iowa State</td> <td align="center">31</td> <td align="right">Colorado</td> <td align="center">28</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="right">Nebraska</td> <td align="center">73</td> <td align="right">Kansas State</td> <td align="center">31</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Texas</td> <td align="center">59</td> <td align="cright">Texas Tech</td> <td align="center">43</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(234, 234, 234) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="right">Oklahoma</td> <td align="center">52</td> <td align="right">Baylor</td> <td align="center">21</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="right">Kansas</td> <td align="center">43</td> <td align="right">Okla. State</td> <td align="center">28</td> </tr> <tr></tr><tr style="background: rgb(213, 213, 213) none repeat scroll 0% 50%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"> <td align="right">Average</td> <td align="center">49.7</td> <td align="right">Average</td> <td align="center">29.5</td> </tr> </tbody></table> Nebraska: WTF? I am Chris Spielman: Tackle somebody! Wrap up drive your legs keep your feet get your head across and follow through young man!! At some point, the spread offense pendulum has to start swinging back the other way.
Onwards...
SMQ WATCHED...
...with various degrees of vigilance...
Illinois 28 Ohio State 21
- - -
Sometimes we have to step back and look at the big picture. What did we expect of Ohio State, and what did we expect of Illinois? If I back up, would this result wouldn't have knocked me flat in August? I can't say it would have, at all:

• I'm not very enthusiastic about this team, in relative terms...an OSU fan might argue it looks like the 2002 championship team, but the quarterback situation is just hoping for competence and has a chance to become a liability, and the offense one-dimensional, while the defense might have problems against upper echelon running games.
    - - -
Then again, in the same preview, the preceding sentence contained this parenthetical:

• ...it's hard to conceive OSU being worse than 7-1 going into the last four games, or worse than 8-4 coming out of them (much as I think Illinois will be vastly improved, and as close as it played the Buckeyes last year, the Illini aren't winning in Columbus)...
    - - -
So, yes, let's say it: this was a dramatic upset. As I pointed out back then, everyone knew Illinois would be better, that a significant leap was inevitable for a team that was so young and so close to competence over and over in 2006, but hadn't we had enough of that already? Was seven wins - eight, in all likelihood, with Northwestern to finish the season - not at the edge of reason for a team that had won eight in the last four years combined? Isn't that enough? The Illini exceeded its quota for advancement in mid-October. Wins over Penn State and Wisconsin? Very nice, here are your back-to-earth defeats and token bowl bid, we'll see you kids again next year.
ef2b670a-ee76-47e7-874c-ffe9bbe47e9e.jpg

That was fast...maybe a little...too...fast...
- - -
But there you have it: a team coached by Ron Zook and quarterbacked by Juice Williams bounced Ohio State, focused, consistent winner of 28 straight regular season games, from the mythical championship. On the road. And it was no fluke - Illinois out-Tresseled Tressel, physically establishing the run, making good with limited but efficient passing (Williams, exemplar of an erratic, one-dimensional liability in the pocket, had four touchdowns and no interceptions against the country's second-ranked pass defense) and milking a lead for every millisecond.
It wasn't only the masterful, 15-play, eight-minute slog that ran out the fourth quarter, but also the 11-play, six minute slog before that and the nine-play, three-and-a-half minute slog before that, which ended in a touchdown - coming out of the locker room with a lead, Illinois ultimately held the ball for just shy of 19 minutes in the second half. Ohio State only touched the ball three times, and moved it: looking to tie, the Buckeyes drove into a goal-to-go situation on its first possession of the half, then answered an Illini touchdown by roaring 76 yards in eight plays on its second possession, and opened up what would be its last drive with a 16-yard scramble by Todd Boeckman. But it was Boeckman, not Williams, who killed two of those promising drives with awful-looking interceptions, and Williams, not Boeckman, who cooly, efficiently ground out a physical win on the road, and possibly came of age along with his team. In the abstract, we could have predicted both of those results, and did. We just couldn't have predicted either would happen here.
Georgia 45 Auburn 20
- - -
Two dynamics intersect here: from the first snap, when Brandon Cox was intercepted, Auburn looked like it regressed into the offensive hole that plagued it through the end of last season and the first three games this year, at the same time Georgia was solidifying and expanding its newfound offensive identity behind Knowshon Moreno and a rapidly maturing line. Basically, the Tigers got run over.
It didn't look this way for most of the game, which Auburn surprisingly led in the third quarter after trailing 17-3 early on. After the fast start, Georgia went through a ten-minute, four possession stretch in the second and third quarters in which it collectively went backwards, -4 yards on 14 plays, and failed to gain a first down. An interception during that span, on Matt Stafford's first attempt of the second half, set up a short field touchdown to tie, and a field goal a few minutes later completed a 17-point Tiger run to the lead.
It was a little fishy, though, despite a couple clutch third by Cox, because Auburn couldn't find any consistency on the ground and only punched the ball into the end zone after sketchy, NFL-style roughing the passer penalties on each of its touchdown drives (aside from the aforementioned short field). From the point it fell behind, Georgia completely dominated, and there was nothing to it but plain, old-fashioned, straight ahead physical pounding. After ten minutes of futility, the Bulldogs broke out a stick over the next ten: UGA scored on four straight possessions, on which Moreno and Thomas Brown ran for 112 yards and Stafford, glad for the help, completed all four of his passes for 122 yards. In a small window, it was the complete promise of the offense's talent, which we've seen in some form now three weeks in a row. At the same time, Auburn ran eight plays for three yards over three possessions and was intercepted once, the first of three crippling picks down the stretch.
I think the first down numbers demonstrate the differences in these two offenses: Auburn advanced the sticks 18 times to Georgia's 16, but the Tigers were also outgained by 200 yards; they averaged 12 yards per first down. Georgia averaged a little more than 26 yards per first down. I appreciate Auburn's efficienct philosophy, and the success it's had playing keep away in other big games, but when the other offense starts gashing you, sometimes you have to do more than just move the chains.
42c18dc7-a5ac-4439-8cca-a2cdaf3f54d7.jpg

This is going to be really good, for somebody. Probably not Michigan.
- - -
Wisconsin 37 Michigan 21
- - -
The Badgers did not miss P.J. Hill in the least, but without Chad Henne and Mike Hart, especially, Michigan looks listless, out of sync and always on the cusp of diasaster.
This is to be expected with a true freshman quarterback and a pair of inexperienced reserves behind him, I guess, if not for the random, maddening brilliance Ryan Mallett pulls out of his ass about once every other drive or so. At the height of head-hanging time in the fourth quarter, down 17 on third-and-ten from his own end zone, with his own receivers growing exasperated, the kid threw a laser over the best corner in the Big Ten that turned into the longest pass in Michigan's long, long history. A couple minutes later, he lobbed a perfect rainbow into the end zone that only Adrian Arrington could reach to put the Wolverines within a field goal. But those were just flickers of light in a sea of darkness, the couple of spitballs that hit the back of the teacher's head amid a loogied-up barrage at the blackboard*. The rest of the time, Mallett seemed completely unaware of the defense, alternately confused and indecisive on one hand and perfectly willing to confidently hang one up, Juice-like, into triple coverage on the other. He averaged 22.3 yards per completion, which is sensational, but completed less than a third of his attempts, which is atrocious even before the interceptions and various howler decisions under pressure fill out the picture.
To be fair, he had no help, from his offensive line, running game or defense. The final score is somewhat misleading in that Wisconsin had two short field, essentially garbage touchdowns in the fourth quarter, but the numbers don't lie: a week after running for 12 yards against Ohio State, the Badgers ran for 235 on 4.7 per carry, without a single run longer than 18 yards. Lance Smith and unknown Zack Brown do not have Hill's physical presence, but ate up 160 yards between them behind an offensive line that lined up and mauled like the halcyon Badger ideal that had only showed up intermittently through the first ten games. And Michigan, frankly, Michigan's front seven was rolled on a consistent basis, not just out of position or taking bad angles but blocked; the specific running back at any given time was not relevant. Wisconsin controlled the ball for more than 38 minutes, a triumph entirely of the same offensive line that was most recently dominated by the Buckeyes.
It's almost stunning how completely Michigan's running game falls apart without Hart, and how little his replacements are able to create behind the same line - and how little it looks like the same line. Carlos Brown and Brandon Minor had no chance against a defensive front that had been reamed by almost every Big Ten running game it had faced, and subsequently Mallett had no chance to work within the play-action based passing game the Wolverines prefer. Of twelve drives under Mallett after Henne left the game, Michigan gained consecutive first downs on exactly two of them - and never by handing off.
Not that this beatdown will mean anything in the big picture if Henne and Hart are healed enough to get on the field next week - the Dejection Bowl in Ann Arbor is still the do-or-die game for the Big Ten title and Rose Bowl, even if the combined 20-game winning streak we expected has been replaced by a two-game skid.
* You are aware, of course, this analogy - a "blackboard?" - will be irrelevant in ten years, if it's not already.
Florida 51 South Carolina 31
- - -
The larger arc is the ongoing collapse of South Carolina's defense, which is very real, but I continue to be fascinated by the variety of ways Florida can attack with Tim Tebow, and how Urban Meyer makes old hat look innovative.

f2a0f9ba-6c4a-477c-a4d7-4ca59c601330.jpg

Trade ya quarterbacks, Urbie?
- - -

Case in point: up 27-14 on the first drive of the third quarter, facing 1st-and-15 after connecting with the third string tight end for a 55-yard gain on the first snap of the half, the Gators ran a bizarre-looking shovel pass/option, which Tebow flipped underneath the unblocked, upfield defensive end to Brandon James, who scooted for 26 yards all the way to the four-yard line. For all the motion, the shotgun, the shovel, this was really just an old school triple option: Tebow read the end, who came upfield to take him rather than crashing down on the "give," which instead of a fullback crashing into the line was the tiny James, who can do far more in the open field than any lumbering fullback. Defenses are so geared to stopping Tebow, and have to be, it opens up literally the entire field; his running ability is like having an extra blocker and makes linebacker-freezing misdirection absolutely lethal, with the ability to get the ball down the field on top of it. The only comparable offense at the moment for the sheer variety of ways it can beat you from anywhere is Oregon's. Yeah, though, South Carolina is falling apart. This is the second straight week the Cocks have looked like they don't even belong on the field against a competent SEC offense; USC has scored 67 points the last two weeks and not come close to winning either game, which would not have been conceivable in this conference two years ago, when almost every week was a bite-and-hold death slog. It really got comical Saturday, never moreso than on Ryan Succop's first, uh, punt, or attempt to punt, which was easily blocked after Succop ran directly into the rusher, almost as if he was trying to get the kick blocked on purpose; Florida scored easily two plays later. Even after Carolina came back to take a 14-13 lead, it never felt like it had a chance to win this game. The only thing standing between the Gamecocks and 6-6 - and probably a bowl-less holiday off a five-game losing streak, with the number of eligible teams in the conference easily outpacing available slots - is Clemson in two weeks, which brings a salivating Spiller-Davis combo into Columbia. If it wasn't already, this stage of Carolina's long push for respectability is officially dead.
Kansas 43 Oklahoma State 28
- - -
At least as impressive as its offensive outburst - as much could be expected against Oklahoma State: the Cowboys will be in the neighborhood of 118th in pass defense when the NCAA updates its stats this morning, and KU was the fifth team (as well as third straight) to go over 525 in total offense against the Cowboys - is the simple fact that the Jayhawks came out firing on all cylinders again, that they didn't take their foot off the gas in a perfect situation for a letdown. Good teams make comfortable wins routine - the longer the season goes, the more KU keeps winning, the more teams around it continue to fall as double-digit favorites, the more impressive the Jayhawks look just for taking care of their business.
As noted, it's hard to tell much about any offense against Oklahoma State, or in the Big 12 in general, because most of the league has looked like a balanced, explosive attack in an environment almost completely bereft of coverage or tackling - OSU at times was so worried about giving up the big play that it went into umbrella mode in the secondary almost from the first series, allowed easy throws (Todd Reesing had 308 yards passing on a relatively modest 7.7 per attempt), generated no pressure against the run or pass (OSU forced all of one negative play, a sack of Reesing in the first quarter with zero hits for loss thereafter) and spent the game on its heels, hoping Kansas would misfire. It did not.
Oklahoma State, however, did misfire in spite of its own prowess with the ball, and it's no coincidence the Cowboys turned it over four times - Kansas made eight plays in OSU's backfield, among them a pair of caused fumbles and stops on third-and-short situations, and knocked Adarius Bowman out of the game by flying upfield to hit him short of the line on an incomplete screen pass. On the whole, KU is nothing special itself against the pass, but it's aggressive enough to match the plays it allows; the Jayhawls were second in the nation in turnover margin even before their plus-four night against the Cowboys, and those plays were the most significant in the size of the final margin.
Re: taking care of business, my bet is there won't be much speculation this week of the Jayhawks potentially losing at home to last place Iowa State, which was rightly left for dead after starting 1-6 with two losses against the MAC and another to a I-AA team. Every contender has its bizarre scares, though, and if Kansas' isn't Oklahoma State, it could be ISU. Since getting trounced at home by Texas, 56-3, the Cyclones over their last four have led Oklahoma at the half, played Missouri closer than any of the Tigers' last seven victims and run off two straight upsets against once-rising Kansas State and Colorado. By all evidence over the first two months, Kansas should leave Iowa State caked in five touchdowns worth of its dust, and it might still, but the Cyclones are an improving team with a little momentum and a dangerous trap if KU is looking forward to the winner-take-all finale with Missouri. Where no one will make a tackle.
Upwards...
Box Scorin'
Making sense of what I didn't see.
- - -
Nebraska 73, Kansas State 31: I don't know that there is any "sense" to be made of this, but remember how Nebraska allowed touchdowns on ten straight possessions last week to Kansas? The Huskers scored nine times on ten possessions against K-State, which has apparently quit on this season. The Wildcats lost to Iowa State last week and Saturday allowed touchdown drives of 76, 36, 73, 54, 80, 91, 74, 62 and 74 yards, in addition to an 80-yard drive that ended in a Nebraska field goal and a 94-yard kickoff return for touchdown. That is, unlike Nebraska last week, which had five turnovers to expound its complete lack of defense in Lawrence, Kansas State just had no defense - the Wildcats didn't turn the ball over once. Joe Ganz (30-40, 510 yards, 7 TDs, 0 INT) probably had the best passing day in Nebraska history, and for that, K-State should be put on some kind of shame-based probation.

8c5c5d18-f367-4dd7-a9f6-5857e7b2038a.jpg

Alright, we got 'em right where we want `em...enough rope-a-dope! Kill! Kill!
- - -

Clemson 44, Wake Forest 10: The Deacons were past getting beat like this, I thought, which suggests that Clemson is...gelling? In November? While still very much in the conference race? C.J. Spiller returned a kickoff for a touchdown here, but the Tigers' backfield dup was fairly modest: 116 yards on 29 carries. Cullen Harper (27-35, 3 TD, 0 INT) has given that offense the balance it sorely lacked last year. Missouri 40, Texas A&M 26: The Aggies hung around longer than expected here, but they eventually flamed out like the lame duck also-rans they've been for most of the last month. Still, Mizzou is absolutely rolling on offense: the Tigers went over 550 for the sixth time, have still scored at least 38 points in all nine wins and got the best game of the season from one of their typically complimentary-only running backs (148 yards by injury-plagued Tony Temple). That's all against the Big 12, of course, but I don't think anyone will hold it against them if Kansas and/or Oklahoma suffers a similar fate.
Mississippi State 17, Alabama 12: No more fluke talk about Mississippi State: the Bulldogs aren't necessarily a good team (they were beaten down by LSU and West Virginia), but they have now found a way to force turnover-fuelled upsets of Auburn, Kentucky and Alabama. That collection of wins is too strong to discount out of hand, even if Will Carroll is the quarterback and the offense ranks, uh, 113th. There is a better than even chance now with Arkansas and Ole Miss remaining that the Bulldogs will win seven games and break even in the conference for the first time since 2000. Biggest loser in that scenario: Ed Orgeron.
Iowa State 31, Colorado 28: On of these "Tale of Two Halves" scenarios - the Buffs led 21-0 at the half, then fell into a deep funk after failing on fourth down at midfield to open the third quarter, going three-and-out four straight possessions as ISU ran off 31 unanswered points. Another big game for ISU freshman Alexander Robinson, who went over 100 for the second time in three weeks since taking over the position - on paper, he seems to be a real spark in the Cyclone offense. Still, no excuse for this, Colorado: this is Division I Football!
Cincinnati 27, Connecticut 3: The reality of life without turnovers rears its ugly head at UConn, which had thrived on takeaways in an 8-1 start but didn't force any from the Bearcats, and in fact suffered from its only giveaway, an interception in the second quarter that led to an easy, six-yard scoring "drive" by Cincinnati. That was hardly the difference in the game, though: Cincy outgained the Huskies 420-204 and could have sat on its opening drive touchdown all afternoon.
Virginia 48, Miami 0: The Hurricanes have regressed offensively so much further the last two weeks than they ever did under Larry Coker, which is shocking given the alleged talent on hand. Kyle Wright, going the whole way, was dreadful (9-21, 3 INT) in his last home start, and leaves with only the solace that Kirby Freeman might have been even worse is he'd been given the chance to be. Receivers dropped everything; the defense did not show (Jameel Sewell...Jameel Sewell...completed 20 of 25 for 288 and a touchdown), and I think 189 yards on nine first downs ranks right up there with the worst offensive performances of the season. North Texas and Navy combined for as many touchdowns in one quarter as Miami had first downs in the entire game. Pitiful.
Maryland 42, Boston College 35: Some actual offense out of the ACC, and another game where the first downs can give you a sense of the big play prowess on one side of the ball: B.C. had 27 first downs to Maryland's 20, but the Terps averaged almost 24 yards every time it moved the chains (to the Eagles' still-impressive 17 yards). B.C. had to be totally shellshocked by its fall from grace last week - Maryland actually scored on seven of its first eight possessions after only scoring seven times over its last ten quarters combined coming in.
Southern Cal 24, California 17: If USC got anything out of this game, other than a leg up on the Holiday Bowl bid, it may have finally found the workhorse it's been missing at running back in Chauncey Washington, who rolled off 220 yards on 29 carries, easily the best single-game performance by any Trojan back over the last two years. The defense had its worst game of the season, giving up 164 on the ground to Justin Forsett and one yard short of 400 yards overall, but it forced a fumble and an interception on Cal's last two possessions to get out of Berkeley with some pride intact.
- - -
Much much much to cover tonight when the latest BCS standings are released this evening. As usual, whatever the numbers say tonight, know this: the Pac Ten is getting screwed. Or, not screwed, necessarily, since somebody has to get screwed - it is the nature of the beast - but my guess is Oregon should be getting ready for the Rose Bowl barring an unexpected turn of events. Though that does seem to be the only way events have turned this year...

Cal Gets Pounding from Rain, Trojans

Posted Nov 11th 2007 1:47PM by Scott Olin Schmidt
Filed under: California Football, USC Football, Pac 10
cal-campus-crappy-weather-banner.jpg

In what had to be one of the slipperiest, most miserablest evenings of football in California memory, the USC Trojans turned to the run game to defeat the California Golden Bears in Strawberry Canyon, 24-17.

When USC receivers were dropping the slippery balls during practice, you'd have thought that Trojan offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian would have come up with a mostly-running game-plan.

After a back and forth game, USC had several chances to send their fans back to the warmth and dryness of their San Francisco hotels in the third quarter but sloppy play and an insistence on trying to pass the ball left the Beard handing around until the fourth quarter.

It took three quarters of solid running by Chauncey Washington before the Trojan coaching staff decided they should just hand the ball off.And hand the ball off, they did, giving it to Chauncey Washington 29 times for 221 yards, while quarterback John David Booty threw but 20 times for a mere 129 yards.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle"> Who's Hot & Who's Not - 2007 </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
494999.jpg

</td> <td nowrap="nowrap" width="3">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle">By Pete Fiutak
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Nov 11, 2007
</td> <td nowrap="nowrap">
</td> </tr> </tbody></table>

The hot and not aspects of the college football world this week.
</td></tr> <tr> <td colspan="3">
[SIZE=-1]Past Hot and Not: [/SIZE] Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Week 8 | Week 9 | Week 10

Who’s Hot …
Rice QB Chase Clement
It took a little while, but Clement has now gotten the hang of the new coaching staff and the offense, with 1,684 yards in his last five games, averaging 337 per game, with 17 touchdown passes and six scoring runs over that span. Two weeks ago he threw for 395 yards and six touchdowns, while running for 103 yards and two scores, in the win over UTEP. Last week he rallied the Owls to a 43-42 win over SMU with 364 yards and two touchdowns, while running for 124 yards and two scores. Tulane is up next week.

North Texas QB Giovanni Vizza
North Texas is on a three-game losing streak, but there’s hope for the future with the emergence of true freshman QB Giovanni Vizza. He torched Navy for 478 yards and eight touchdown passes in the 74-62 loss last week, while Casey Fitzgerald, who made 18 catches for 327 yards and two touchdowns against SMU earlier in the year, caught 13 passes for 134 yards and five yards against the Midshipmen. Arkansas State is up next with the Sun Belt’s second best pass defense.

NC State run defense
The Wolfpack might be dead last in the ACC in run defense, but that’s because Miami gashed it for 314 yards two weeks ago. That might be an aberration as Tom O’Brien’s club has allowed fewer than 100 yards in three of the last four games, giving up 12 yards to North Carolina last week. The run defense hasn’t allowed a rushing touchdown in the last two games, and has given up just three in the last five. Up next is Wake Forest.

Toledo
Simply put, there’s not a hotter team in America with three straight wins averaging 55 points per game. Now the Rockets are in a position to take a once-dead season and go to a bowl, helped by sophomore QB Aaron Opelt who has thrown for 867 yards and seven touchdowns with no interceptions over the last three games, while RB Jalen Parmele has rushed for 100 yards or more in the last six games, cranking out 985 yards and 11 touchdowns, along with a receiving score, over the span. Up next is Ball State and the nation’s 93<sup>rd</sup> ranked defense.

Nebraska QB Joe Ganz

Did Bill Callahan make the wrong quarterback decision to start the year when he chose to go with Sam Keller? It looks that way at the moment, as junior Joe Ganz has made the Husker offense explode. He threw four picks against Kansas, but he also threw for 405 yards and four touchdowns and ran for a score. In the win over Kansas State he threw for a school-record 510 yards and seven touchdowns, while running for 18 yards. Up next Is Colorado and the nation’s 83<sup>rd</sup> ranked pass defense.
Who’s Not … All things Miami ... the Florida version
Not only have the Miami Dolphins become the NFL's worst team with an 0-8 start, but the Hurricanes have gone into the tank losing four of their last five games including an embarrassing 48-0 loss to Virginia in the tean's final game in the Orange Bowl. At 5-5, and with road trips to Virginia Tech and Boston College ahead, a bowl bid is unlikely.

UTEP
No one crashes and burns over the final month of the season quite like UTEP. The program hasn't won its final game of a season since 1986, but worse yet, it's managed to collapse late under Mike Price losing five of the final six games last year to miss out on a bowl, lost the final three games of 2005, and the final two games of 2004. This year, the Miners appeared to be one of the favorites to win the Conference USA title after beating Tulsa, and then they went on a four-game losing streak will losses to Rice and Tulane over the last two weeks. They close out against Southern Miss and at UCF.

South Carolina defense
Not only does South Carolina have the SEC's worst rushing attack, but now it has the worst run defense after getting ripped apart the last two weeks by Arkansas and Florida. The Hogs ran for 542 yards and four touchdowns, while Florida, thanks to Tim Tebow, ran for 233 yards and five scores, to go along with 304 passing yards and two scores. Up next in two weeks is Clemson, led by the dangerous rushing tandem of James David and C.J. Spiller.

Boston College pass defense
Why has BC fallen from the ranks of the elite? The pass defense has gone bye-bye, now ranking last in the ACC allowing 280 yards per game. It has allowed 300 yards or more in five of the ten games, and was torched by Florida State for 371 yards and two touchdowns two weeks ago and 337 yards and three scores by Maryland last week. After coming up with 18 interceptions in the first seven games, the Eagles have failed to pick off a pass in the last three. Up next is Clemson and QB Cullen Harper, the ACC’s most efficient passer.

Arizona State pass protection
The Sun Devils are second-to-last in America in sacks allowed (cheer, cheer for old Notre Dame) giving up 43 so far. Rudy Carpenter got nailed six times by UCLA last week and eight times by Oregon the week before. Up next is USC, who’s 15<sup>th</sup> in the country with 30 sacks.

Hills out for the year

By Suzanne Halliburton | Sunday, November 11, 2007, 08:15 PM
Offensive tackle Tony Hills suffered a fractured left fibula against Texas Tech and is out for the remainder of the season.
Hills, a senior, broke the bone during a play early in the Longhorns 59-43 victory over the Red Raiders.
“We’re disappointed for Tony,” said coach Mack Brown. “He was playing as well as any offensive lineman in the country. Not only is he a great player on the field but he also is a tremendous team leader who provides an emotional spark for our team and especially all of the young linemen. We’ll miss having him out on the field but it will be great to still have him around, helping those guys out and providing leadership. We all know how resilient and positive he is. He’ll get healthy, work hard in his rehabilitation and has a bright future in the NFL and beyond.”
In the past two games, Texas has lost the lone seniors on the offensive line. Center Dallas Griffin suffered a torn knee ligament eight days ago against Oklahoma State.
After Hills injury, Texas used sophomore Chris Hall at left tackle and redshirt freshman Buck Burnette at center against Tech.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle"> 5 Thoughts - Left Out In The Cold </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
495153.jpg

Kansas QB Todd Reesing
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle">By Staff
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Nov 11, 2007

The only thing for certain about the BCS is that either Missouri, Oklahoma, or Todd Reesing's Kansas will be snubbed. Along with the bad BCS rule, there's the day of Zook, the madcap Mark Richt, helmet-to-helmet hits and a faking punter in the latest 5 Thoughts.
Five Thoughts: Week 1 | Week 2 | Week 3 | Week 4
Week 5 | Week 6 | Week 7 | Week 8 | Week
9 | Week 10
Yes, you could be demanding to see Kansas
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak [/SIZE][/FONT]
1. The BCS isn’t going to be blown up any time soon since the powers-that-be actually like the debates. Oregon or Missouri? Kansas or West Virginia? LSU or Oklahoma? The banter that’s going to ensure over the next few weeks will be what keeps college football on the front-burner of sports discussion. Fine, that’s what we’re stuck with.

However, it’s time the system be tweaked so that it actually rewards the best teams in the country for their big seasons. There are ten BCS bowl slots, and so it should be only fair that the top ten teams according to the BCS rankings are in. If you’re going to have a ranking like this, then use it.

Wisconsin deserved to be in a BCS game last season, but couldn’t go, thanks to Ohio State and Michigan, because of a silly rule that doesn’t allow more than two teams from any one conference to get BCS bids. While that’s in place so the six leagues can make sure they all get a piece of the pie, it’s not fair to the teams, the fans, or to college football.

Here’s a quirky, but very possible scenario. Kansas could lose to Missouri in a classic and finish 11-1. Missouri could win the Big 12 title in a nail-biter over Oklahoma and go to the Fiesta Bowl. Oklahoma, at 11-2, would get an at-large BCS bid meaning Kansas could be in the top five in the rankings and not get a BCS game. And then there’s Texas, who’ll likely finish 10-2 and be passed over for a BCS game by at least one three-loss team because it’ll be fourth in the Big 12 bowl pecking order.

Equality is for the other bowl games. Give us the best matchups with the best teams who had the best years.

Oh that wacky, wacky Richt
By Richard Cirminiello
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif] [/FONT]2. What has gotten into Georgia’s Mark Richt over the last few weeks? The usually buttoned-down, conservative head coach has let his hair down this fall, choreographing a bench-clearing celebration at the start of the Cocktail Party and breaking out black jerseys from storage for Saturday’s visit from Auburn. What’s next, trimming the hedges inside Sanford Stadium into the shape of a Bulldog? It’s completely out of character, and it’s working. Richt’s motivational techniques are resonating with his young team and his fan base, creating a swagger throughout the Dawg Nation that was missing in the first half of the year. Given up for dead in terms of a major bowl game after getting routed by Tennessee on Oct. 6, Georgia has responded with four straight wins to climb all the way up to No. 9 in the latest BCS rankings. The running of Knowshon Moreno and the passing of Matt Stafford have been instrumental to the resurgence, which could lead to a once improbable BCS bowl game if the Bulldogs can complete the rally with wins over Kentucky and Georgia Tech. Just how much credit does Richt get for the improved forecast around Athens? While it’s impossible to quantity, it’s a safe bet that the coach has had an even bigger role than normal in the success of his program.

Watch your back, UGA. Yeah, you joined in on the fun by donning a black sweater on Saturday, but coach may have more hijinx in store for you before the season is over.

But KeepRonZook.com doesn't have the same cache
[SIZE=-1]By [/SIZE] [SIZE=-1] John Harris[/SIZE]

3. He used to be the butt of jokes throughout the nation. The Florida coach did what – went to a frat house and stirred it up? The Gators lost to hapless Mississippi State? No matter where you were, you heard it loud and clear from those within Gator Nation – the Zooker was a joke and should never have been the coach at Florida in the first place. Former Gator head coach Ron Zook was in a no-win situation from jump at Florida. He was the consolation prize for a job that no one wanted, I mean, who wanted to follow Steve Superior at Florida? Zook got it and then got blasted for, well, just about everything. But, one thing that many Gator zealots missed was he could recruit, something that they had a chance to witness, and he could coach, something they never had a chance to experience. Heck, this was his first head coaching job and Gator nation thought he should be Spurrier on his best day and Ray Graves on his worst. He was neither and unfortunately, he took the fall for the lack of recruiting at the end of Spurrier’s run at Florida. Ironically, it was the players he recruited that won a national championship last year. He was the ultimate fall guy, but outside of the frat house trip, he was class to the end.

Then, he was given a blank canvas at Illinois. Since the Sugar Bowl trip in 2002, the Illini had done little to nothing to gather the nation’s attention. Consider that time over. With the win at Ohio State yesterday over the #1 ranked Buckeyes, Zook proved what very few wanted to accept – the Man can coach. He can recruit, he can sell and, most importantly, he can coach. Yes, he can coach. The Illini had a well-conceived plan to beat Ohio State yesterday and it’s a plan that has worked well all season long. The Illini have eight wins on the season, but perhaps it was yesterday’s win that should provide Ron Zook with some vindication. He’ll never say it, so I will, Hey Pike House, how you like ‘dem apples?
"My brain hurts."
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-2]By Pete Fiutak
[/FONT][/SIZE]
4. It’s not getting your bell rung. It’s not getting dinged up. It’s not funny or cute in any way, shape or form. It’s a concussion, and it’s the brain smashing on the inside of the skull.

Of course, concussions are always going to be a part of a violent game like football when heads are butting against each other, off the ground, and basically off everything a head can bounce off of. That’s part of the game, and that’s unavoidable. However, it’s time the college game wakes up and takes a cue from the advances made in the pro game and punish the helmet to helmet hits.

Hawaii QB Colt Brennan was torching Fresno State, completing 28 of 39 passes for 396 yards and two touchdowns in early in the fourth quarter. He left himself wide open on a scramble, and Fresno State’s Marcus Wiley made him pay with a brutal collision that caused a concussion and a gasp of concern. If Brennan had been knocked cold on a shoulder pad to helmet hit, then fine, but Wiley led with his head like a guided missile and cranked Brennan on a helmet-to-helmet shot that not only didn’t get penalized, but was later praised as a “big play” by the lobotomized Fresno State homer announcer. (To be fair to Wiley, he showed great concern about the hit and even went to check on Brennan, who by all indications should be fine, after the game.)

I’m not talking about the type of hits where the helmets touch because the angle changes at the last split second. I’m talking about the spearing shots with an obvious intention to use a helmet to hit another player in the head.

We have replay for a reason, and it’s time to give it more authority to punish hits like these. I was able to replay the perfect camera angle on it in freeze-frame motion, back and forth like the Zapruder film in JFK, and there was no question about the shot. Riley wasn’t penalized, and he won’t be lightened in the walled by tens of thousands of dollars like he would be if he were in the NFL. The way these shots are handled has to change immediately before something bad happens.

A replay official should be allowed to have the teeth to see a true helmet-to-helmet kill shot, confer with the on-field officials, and throw the player out of the game just like the NFL has instructed its officials to do. The conference should then suspend the player and fine the head coach. There’s no reason for these types of hits to ever have to occur.

He fell, but he could get up
By Matthew Zemek

There were lots of iffy calls made in Saturday's Auburn-Georgia game, but with that said, SEC referee Penn Wagers still earned a huge amount of fresh respect.

When Georgia punter Brian Mimbs flung his body to the turf after a second-quarter kick, Wagers--like a basketball official to a player who flopped on a block-charge call--lifted his hand to make the "play on, son" gesture. As the two jogged upfield when the play was over, Wagers could be seen giving a warning to Mimbs: the young man almost drew an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty.

Finally, a referee wasn't seduced by a punter who did an acting job.

Finally, a referee told a punter to get his butt off the ground.

Finally, a referee threatened to throw an unsportsmanlike conduct flag against a player who took a dive.

Finally, a columnist has a new Penn pal among the ranks of college football arbiters. At long last, a Hollywood punter received a deserved rebuke. I would not have Wagered that this kind of moment would happen so soon.

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle"> Weekly Affirmation - Sampler Platter </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle">By Matt Zemek
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Nov 11, 2007

It's been a long season full of long essays. This week, however, after a mid-November Saturday that felt strangely empty, we'll shelve the long-form version of this column. As rivalry week begins and championship collisions await, it's a good time to look back at the first eleven weeks while looking ahead to the final three as well.

ByMatthew Zemek

Mr. Zemek's e-mail: mzemek@hotmail.com

Short-Form Weekly Affirmation: Fast Track Gold Club

First, a word about this past Saturday: the Ohio State loss aside, has there ever been a mid-November Saturday that rang so hollow on a national level? Virtually every televised game on the major broadcast networks felt like a prelude to the season's stretch run. College football seemed to take a deep breath at a point in the season normally reserved for dire deathmatches and electrifying encounters. Michigan-Wisconsin was just filler time and an excuse to have a few bratwursts before The Big Game in Ann Arbor. USC and Cal played off the national radar with Brent Musburger and Kirk Herbstreit spending their Saturday night in Stillwater. Florida versus Steve Spurrier didn't leave much of an imprint upon the nation's consciousness (although it definitely improved Tim Tebow's Heisman chances). Boston College got upset by Maryland, but frankly, who cared? BC versus Clemson is the only show that matters in the ACC Atlantic. Virginia Tech beat back a Florida State charge, but we're waiting for the Battle of Virginia in two weeks. The only game other than Illinois-Ohio State that really made an impression this past Saturday was Georgia's emphatic, we-might-be-good-enough-to-not-need-emotional-gimmicks romp over Auburn. All in all, the absence of drama from this just-completed weekend of football makes it seem as though we're about to enter a three-week mini-season in which all conference and divsion championships will be claimed.

Next up, a brief comment about violence in football, the subject of the season premiere of the Weekly Affirmation back on Labor Day weekend. If you stayed up late--until 2:30 a.m. in the East--you would have seen a pair of popular quarterbacks--Jake Locker of Washington and Colt Brennan of Hawaii--get knocked out of games due to crushing hits from defenders. Locker had to be taken off the field in an ambulance, only to improbably return to the sideline late in the fourth quarter. Brennan is apparently well enough to play this upcoming Friday at Nevada, but everyone in Aloha Stadium held their breath after Fresno State's Marcus Riley laid out the superb signal caller with a frightening blow early in the fourth quarter of Saturday night's tussle in the tropics. After the game, Hawaii coach June Jones--a man who nearly lost his own life in a motorcycle accident not too long ago--could only voice the supremely inconvenient truth about a sport we love: "If you play football, you're going to have concussions." It wasn't a cold statement for Jones to make; the veteran of many football seasons was expressing a simple fact. Let's remember that while college football makes life more bearable for so many of us, the young men who play this sport are risking a lot to entertain us. Let's remember that while college football gives our lives a great deal of passion, fun and color--a welcome respite from world events or difficult times at work--the outcomes of these games are secondary to the welfare of the people who contest them. Winning on Autumnal Saturdays is a worthwhile goal, but it's never more important than the health of each and every college football player--physical, yes, but also emotional and spiritual as well.

On the officiating front, the Pac-10 and Commissioner Tom Hansen remain a national embarrassment in the face of the continued ineptitude of the league's replay review personnel. You surely remember the Oklahoma-Oregon fiasco from September of 2006. If you've been paying attention this year, you would have noted an atrocious replay decision that took away a touchdown from Washington State in a game against Arizona State on Oct. 6. Now, we have the replay review (non-)decision that might rank as the single worst piece of replay review negligence ever foisted upon a football team.

If you really love college football and you stayed up in the wee hours to watch the Washington-Oregon State game on Saturday night (or Sunday morning), you surely blew a gasket when--in the final minutes of a close game--a Pac-10 replay review official refused to consider a play that was both significant and debatable. With Oregon State leading by six with rougly 2:50 remaining, the Beavers were on the verge of scoring a game-sealing touchdown. OSU running back Yvenson Bernard rumbled down to the Washington 1 and was clearly down by the time he reached the ball to the goal line. The only question surrounding the play was if Bernard scored or not; there was no doubt that a fumble had not occurred on the play.

With this having been said, it's worth pointing out that the on-field officials--who ruled a fumble--displayed proper mechanics by allowing a play to be reviewed. Had the officials blown the play dead prematurely, and had replay indicated that Bernard did indeed fumble, the refs would have prevented Washington from gaining due process and a fair result. By ruling a fumble, the on-field officials did their job properly in the age of replay. Naturally, every soul in Reser Stadium awaited the replay review that would have placed the ball back on the UW 1... or perhaps given Oregon State a game-sealing touchdown. This much was sure: Yvenson Bernard displayed good ball security on the play, and Oregon State had every right to expect a fair resolution to a not-very-controversial situation.

But then the seemingly impossible happened: Washington ran up to the line of scrimmage (the UW 38, after a 37-yard fumble return by Husky cornerback Roy Lewis) and--with the Pac-10 replay official snoozing in the booth--snapped the ball. Forget the fact that the play was easy to call for a replay reviewer. Forget the fact that Oregon State coach Mike Riley had no timeouts left, and couldn't challenge the ruling. If a late-game play is shrouded in even the slightest whiff of controversy, it demands an automatic review from the booth. The simple fact that no review was made on this play represents something more than a mere "mistake." In an era when public officials are all too quick to say that "mistakes were made" after doing outrageous things, this paralysis and incompetence from yet another Pac-10 replay booth demands action. If Oklahoma-Oregon '06 wasn't bad enough, and if ASU-Wazzu '07 wasn't outrageous enough, Saturday night's Washington-Oregon State game has to cause a major shakeup in the employment status of Pac-10 replay review officials. Seriously, Commissioner Hansen--how hard does it have to be to get a competent replay reviewer? Thank goodness Washington failed to score on its ensuing drive; otherwise, a real firestorm would have erupted.

As we continue, here's a first attempt to provide an overview of a season that's been reduced to a final few games. With dozens of campaigns about to end for the nation's sub-.500 teams, it's worth beginning the process of putting this season in perspective.

A subtly simple way of looking at a season is to do something the Weekly Affirmation first started in 2005: scour the scoreboards for the games that defined seasons for better or worse. It bears repeating that in a sport with saturation TV coverage, it's easy to lose track of many games. While Florida-LSU and USC-Oregon are the kinds of epic collsions every fan remembers after a college football season, the journeys of most of the nation's 120 FBS teams are framed and fashioned in contests that take place away from the cameras and the public spotlight. If you want to identify the soul of a season, you need to look at these kinds of games. If you want to understand the resurrections and unravelings that occur on sidelines and in locker rooms across America every Autumn, you need to remember this: baby staps precede the breakthroughs, and light trips come before the big tumbles. Confidence is quietly forged in relative obscurity before it bursts in full bloom against a name opponent.

Without further ado, then, here are just some of this year's off-the-radar games that softly but surely shaped seasons for many of this country's FBS teams:

Week One: Navy 30, Temple 19; BYU 20, Arizona 7. Temple showed, even in defeat, that it would battle with uncommon resolve in 2007. Brigham Young made a very early statement with its defense against the Wildcats, who would muddle through yet another disappointing in Tucson.

Week Two: Louisville 58, Middle Tennessee 42; Cincinnati 34, Oregon State 3; Air Force 20, Utah 12; Wisconsin 20, UNLV 13; Arizona State 33, Colorado 14. Louisville's impending collapse was foreshadowed in a 100-point game that involved shockingly bad defense from Steve Kragthorpe's crew. Cincinnati's rise in the Big East made sense after a beatdown of the Beavers. Air Force flew high under first-year coach Troy Calhoun after gaining momentum in a road win against the Utes. Wisconsin hinted at future fragility with a narrow win in Vegas. Arizona State's season-long pattern of overcoming first-quarter struggles began in early September against the Buffaloes.

Week Three: Virginia 22, North Carolina 20; Mississippi State 19, Auburn 14; Florida Atlantic 42, Minnesota 39; Ohio State 33, Washington 14; Texas 35, Central Florida 32; Utah 44, UCLA 6; Kentucky 40, Louisville 34. A student manager's alertness enabled Virginia to reverse an on-field ruling, win a game, and compile a magical season. Few people were watching when Sylvester Croom's team took the first step toward a breakthrough year in Starkville. Life after Glen Mason emerged for the Gophers in their loss at Florida Atlantic. Ohio State's surprisingly successful season took wing in Seattle, in a tough game from which the Huskies never fully recovered. Texas began a string of narrow but gritty wins with a hard-earned triumph against George O'Leary's crew. UCLA's up-and-down year became apparent against the same Utah team that lost to Air Force the week before. And when Rich Brooks' boys began to climb the college football ladder, the network broadcasting their Commonwealth conquest of Louisville was ESPN... ESPN Classic, that is.

Week Four: Illinois 27, Indiana 14; Nebraska 41, Ball State 40; Navy 46, Duke 43; Houston 38, Colorado State 27; Connecticut 34, Pittsburgh 14. The first sign of the Ron Zook comeback tour began at Indiana. The Huskers' implosion began shortly after a lucky escape against a MAC opponent at home. Navy would win many games like the one it pulled out of the fire against the Blue Devils. Houston put together a very respectable season on the strength of its win over the Rams, who plummeted to the depths of the Mountain West Conference in a season that began with much promise. And if you wanted to find a moment when Randy Edsall's ballclub grew into a winner, it might have been an afternoon in the Steel City when the Huskies quietly went about their business against the Panthers.

Week Five: Michigan 28, Northwestern 16; Miami of Ohio 17, Syracuse 14; UTEP 48, SMU 45. Michigan didn't play well, but Lloyd Carr's team began a pattern of winning consistently against the Wildcats. Syracuse threw away the momentum gained by an upset of Louisville the very next week in Ohio. This loss to UTEP might have been the straw that ultimately broke Phil Bennett's back as the coach of the Mustangs.

Week Six: Rice 31, Southern Miss 29; Maryland 28, Georgia Tech 26; Northwestern 48, Michigan State 41; North Carolina 33, Miami (FL) 27; Wyoming 24, TCU 21. Simply stated, each of these contests revealed why each of the losing teams had seasons that fell far short of expectations.

Week Seven: Buffalo 43, Toledo 33; Virginia 17, Connecticut 16; Tulsa 38, Marshall 31.The Bulls, not the Bills, have found a way to make big improvements this season in Buffalo. The Husky-Cavalier collision in Charlottesville showed two evenly-matched teams who displayed equal amounts of determination in 2007. Tulsa didn't always play its best, but the Golden Hurricane--on the back of ugly wins such as this one over the Thundering Herd--have won this year under new coach Todd Graham.

Week Eight: Temple 24, Miami of Ohio 17; Vanderbilt 17, South Carolina 6. This win over the RedHawks marked the Owls' biggest triumph in a season when the historically downtrodden Philadelphia school came up (Al) Golden. Long before the blowout losses to Arkansas and Florida, South Carolina got substantially exposed when the Gamecocks looked past the Commodores.

Week Nine: New Mexico 34, Air Force 31; Boise State 34, Fresno State 21; Clemson 30, Maryland 17. Los Lobos have fared well in the Mountain West, thanks to gritty victories such as this three-point triumph made possible by a perfect fourth quarter of defense. Boise State reminded the rest of the WAC who's boss with this steady and sturdy win in the Valley against a charged-up bunch of Bulldogs. Clemson's ability to survive a road ambush in College Park has enabled Tommy Bowden's Tigers to be in position to defy history and win the ACC Atlantic Division.

Week Ten: Iowa 28, Northwestern 17; Iowa State 31, Kansas State 20; North Carolina 16, Maryland 13. The Hawkeyes' late resurgence--to a bowl-eligible position--was built on the strength of this crucial win in Evanston. Before Kansas State got crushed at Nebraska, the Wildcats seemed to lose their will in a demoralizing loss in Ames. Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen has to be wondering why his struggling program--once in the Orange Bowl a few years ago--has not been able to avoid losses such as this three-point defeat in Chapel Hill.

Week Eleven: Iowa State 31, Colorado 28; Washington State 33, Stanford 17. Any of the gains Dan Hawkins' Buffs made against Oklahoma and Texas Tech were thrown away with this bad, bad loss against the renewed and resilient Cyclones. Just to make sure Stanford's upset of USC remains as big as it should be, you need to realize that the Cardinal have not built on their toppling of Troy, as proven in this loss up in Pullman.

That's it for a first look back at the 2007 season. We now turn to a brief preview of the season's final, fateful football fistfights.

This week's big games: Ohio State at Michigan; Kentucky at Georgia; West Virginia at Cincinnati; Boston College at Clemson.

The big question surrounding The Big Game is if Michigan's tidal wave of pent-up emotions will be enough to withstand Ohio State's superior instincts. The Buckeyes are the objectively better (and healthier) team, so the focal point of this contest concerns the Wolverines' ability to bring their very best football to the table. Lloyd Carr doesn't need to motivate his team, but the UM coach--if he wants to beat Jim Tressel for the first time since 2003--does need to bring some creative strategy and a batch of extra boldness to the Big House. Huge games don't call for desperation, but they do demand courage--there's a difference between the two entities, and it will be up to Carr and his staff to find the right balance against Mr. Sweater Vest.

Kentucky seems to have lost the edge it once possesed this season, while the Dawgs are playing lights-out at the present moment. It's mystifying to see the Wildcats decline so noticeably after competing with LSU and Florida on very even terms. On the other side of the coin, one has to applaud Georgia for getting the job done after the listless loss at Tennessee and the sluggish piece of slop served up against South Carolina back in week two. Georgia doesn't seem inclined to step off the gas pedal, especially with the "clubhouse lead" in the SEC East just one win away. (Tennessee ultimately controls its destiny in the division, but the Vols will be hard pressed to win in Lexington on Nov. 24.) The key to this game therefore lies with Kentucky. Can offensive coordinator Joker Phillips and quarterback coach Randy Sanders coax a top-shelf game from an uneven Andre Woodson? Can playmakers like Steve Johnson and Jacob Tamme regain the consistency they found earlier in the season? Georgia's offense won't be stopped; Kentucky will need to win a shootout. The Wildcats can win a calculator game, but they'll need to be at their best to do so.

Mountaineers-Bearcats: it's not just the Bob Huggins basketball battle, it's a Big East title tilt, for all intents and purposes. A Cincinnati win this week, coupled with a West Virginia win over Connecticut in week 13 and a Cincy win at lowly Syracuse, will give the Bearcats an Orange Bowl berth. Long story short, this contest rests in the hands of Pat White: if the dynamic and blindingly fast quarterback plays within his capabilities and avoids the nagging turnovers that plagued him against Louisville and South Florida, the boys from Morgantown will once again claim a conference crown. If White can't hold onto the pigskin, the Bearcats--playing at home and with considerable energy--are good enough to capitalize. No one in the Big East has been able to stand above the rest of the pack; West Virginia should be that team, but mistakes have prevented Rich Rodriguez from being able to breathe easy this late in the season. If WVU can finally put its foot down, Cincinnati will only be able to look on helplessly... and somewhere, Bob Huggins will smile even before basketball season really heats up.

We finally arrive at the most fascinating game of the upcoming weekend: Boston College at Clemson. In one corner stand the Eagles, a national title contender brought low in an abrupt two-week span. BC's struggles have left a first-year coach (Jeff Jagodzinski) and a senior quarterback (Matt Ryan) one loss away from a spectacular free-fall that would perpetuate the ghost of Tom O'Brien and leave dark shadows over the New England landscape. In the other corner stand the Tigers, until recently a non-factor in the ACC Atlantic race but suddenly given new life by outside events. Amazingly, Tommy Bowden is one win away from reaching the ACC Championship Game and finally delivering the goods after eight--yes, eight--very frustrating seasons in the Palmetto State. These two teams know all too well how much is on the line when they strap on the pads in Death Valley. Eagles-Tigers will make for tremendous television, because the emotions will be so pronounced and the reputations of the participants will be so thoroughly defined by this one game. Right now, you have to think that Clemson will shrug off its past demons while BC will be baffled and bamboozled by an untimely downward spiral. Then again, nothing in the Tommy Bowden era has ever been a sure thing. If you want to identify a game key, look at special teams. These two programs have had notoriously bad kicking games. In a sweaty-palm situation late in either half, a major miscue might tell the tale.

Week 13 big games: USC at Arizona State; Missouri at Kansas; Virginia Tech at Virginia; Tennessee at Kentucky.

Oh, how Pete Carroll and John David Booty must be kicking themselves for the Stanford loss. Nevertheless, a Thanksgiving Day win in Tempe would enable the Trojans to compile yet another 10-win season despite a boatload of injuries. Moreover, a victory would enable USC to stay in the running for an at-large BCS bowl invite. Arizona State will be playing for the same BCS opportunity on Nov. 22, but the Sun Devils could vault to an 11-win season if they can defeat the Trojan Empire of College Football. Second place in the Pac-10 is on the line, and with each of these teams getting five extra days of rest before knocking heads, national viewers should be in for a treat while they digest their heaping helpings of turkey and all the fixings. The clear confrontation in this contest will emerge after halftime. USC has a long track record under Carroll of swaming opponents in the second half. Defense and depth have enabled the Trojans to rise to the occasion in the fourth quarter of tight games over the past six seasons. Against Arizona State, however, the boys from L.A. will meet a mirror image. Dennis Erickson's Sun Devils have worn down the opposition in the final 30 minutes of several games this season. Just as surely as the Dennis Devils have struggled in the first quarter, they've also been able to right the ship once they expunge the early-game cobwebs. Who will crest, and who will crumble, when crunch time comes calling? That will likely decide the outcome in the Desert Southwest.

When Missouri and Kansas meet at Arrowhead Stadium--where College Gameday is sure to be on Nov. 24 (just absorb that fact for a moment or two)--you'll see two of the more creative coaching staffs in the Big XII. Missouri and Kansas both derive a lot of benefit from the offensive systems they use. The sleight of hand employed by Tiger quarterback Chase Daniel keeps opposing defenses off balance, while the quick-release philosophy employed by KU coach Mark Mangino enables Todd Reesing to thrive as a savvy yet undersized signal caller. Missouri is the team more likely to influence the course of events in this contest, for reasons both good and bad. On the plus side for Mizzou, the Tigers possess more big-game experience than the Jayhawks, having played in spotlight showdowns over the past few seasons. On the other hand, the Tigers are also the dog in this fight that has a tendency to commit costly turnovers in the worst possible moments. It seems weird to say this, but you know what to expect with Kansas: steady, solid, sensible football not big on talent, but largely free of mistakes. It's up to the good Missouri to show up and relegate the bad Missouri to the dustbin of history. The Tiger team that shows up will probably push the pendulum in one direction or another.

Hokies-Hoos in Charlottesville is a rivalry game, a matchup of mobile quarterbacks, and a division championship encounter. Both teams have plenty of confidence heading into this game (we can't imagine Tech losing at home to Miami Nov. 17, one week before this showdown), so you're not likely to see a major turning point until this contest winds its way deep into the third quarter. Virginia knows how to win one-point games, but Tech has the big-name pedigree and a taste of battle against programs such as LSU. The head says Tech, but the gut can't write off the Cavaliers, who have played inspired football ever since an opening-week loss at Wyoming. You'll be able to tell if Virginia is able to remain calm in the face of pressure; that might well determine what happens at Scott Stadium.

When the Volunteers go to Lexington to face Kentucky, it won't feel like the same old battle that used to be called the "Beer Barrel" game. Kentucky brings clout and credentials this time around. With that said, though, the Vols still hold a hex and wield a mental whammy in this series, so the outcome will have a lot to do with Kentucky's ability to start strong or, failing that, to respond well (and immediately) to any adversity that might come its way. If Kentucky stays mentally tough, the Cats--playing at home--should be hungry and talented enough to end a decades-long losing skid against a Tennessee team that is eyeing an SEC East title.

Week 14 big games (aside of currently undetermined conference title game matchups): Oregon State at Oregon.

Don't laugh: if Oregon gets by Arizona and UCLA to enter week 14 with a 10-1 record, the Ducks will have their hands full with the Beavers. Six years ago, in 2001, the Ducks figured to pummel Oregon State in Eugene at the end of a dominant season, with a Heisman-contending quarterback (Joey Harrington) leading the way. But even in the cozy confines of Autzen Stadium, those dynamic Ducks (who would go on to rout Colorado in the Fiesta Bowl and show the country they belonged in the Rose Bowl against Miami) struggled against their rivals from Corvallis. Oregon survived a 17-14 slugfest, and walked away happy. A similar outcome should be equally acceptable to Dennis Dixon and his teammates. The Civil War--like other rivalry games--simply can't be taken for granted.</td></tr></tbody></table>

<table><tbody><tr><td colspan="3" class="storytitle"> Monday Morning Quarterback - Endgame Nerves </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="primaryimage" valign="top">
</td> <td valign="top"> <table bgcolor="#f5f5f5" border="0" cellpadding="4" cellspacing="1" width="60%"> <tbody><tr valign="top"> <td nowrap="nowrap" valign="middle">By Matt Zemek
CollegeFootballNews.com
Posted Nov 11, 2007

Two-minute drills at the end of a football game are crazy by nature. It should be no surprise, then, that these examples of organized chaos produce strange brews of panic and calmness, both of which can kill a team's comeback hopes. We saw examples from this past weekend.

ByMatthew Zemek

Mr. Zemek's e-mail: mzemek@hotmail.com

On Saturday afternoon in Nashville, panic prevented the Vanderbilt Commodores from scoring a tying touchdown in the dying moments of a vigorously contested battle with division rival Kentucky. With 17 seconds left and Vandy staring at a running clock due to an in-bounds completion short of the sticks, quarterback Mackenzi Adams--after looking to the sideline--spiked the ball into the turf on 3rd and 1. On the next play, an incomplete pass into the end zone slammed the Dores shut and enabled Rich Brooks' ballclub to escape with a season-sustaining victory.

Do you think this kind of scenario is rare in the world of college football? You shouldn't. The premature and unnecessary spike occurs far too often in this sport, especially when you consider that the two-minute drill is and has been such a longstanding part of essential game preparation. Derailed two-minute drills beg the simple but necessary question: "Do coaches spend time quizzing and schooling their players, in season and out of season, on the time-and-score situations when spiked balls are (and aren't) acceptable?"

You might recall that on Oct. 18, in a Thursday night game between (then-No. 2) South Florida and Rutgers, USF quarterback Matt Grothe--on his team's own two-minute drive at the end of regulation--spiked a ball into the turf when he had no business doing so. After being sacked with roughly 1:20--yes, you read that right, 1:20--left in the fourth quarter and the Bulls trailing the Scarlet Knights by three, Grothe came up to the line of scrimmage on 2nd and 22 and, with 1:11 left, spiked the ball. In the history of late-game mini-meltdowns, Grothe's ill-advised move would rate as an all-time portrayal of profound pigskin panic. But as this past Saturday's events in Music City showed us, premature spikes happen much more often than they ever should.

If Vanderbilt coach Bobby Johnson had done a better job, his team would have had one more chance to tie Kentucky. This doesn't mean the Commodores would have actually been able to send the game into overtime, but the point is clear enough: coaching in endgame situations must always try to maximize a team's options and increase a team's chances of succeeding. Johnson obviously reduced Vandy's margin for error with his decision to have Adams spike the ball against the Wildcats. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to understand why. Vanderbilt's vexing decision occurred on a drive that ended with 11 seconds left in regulation. Had Adams not spiked the ball on third down with 17 seconds left, the quarterback--by taking a little more time to run a legitimate play--would have given his team an extra shot at a tying touchdown. It's that simple. Take seven or eight seconds away from the 11 that remained on the clock, and Vandy still would have had one more chance to score a touchdown. The premature spike prematurely ended Vandy's quest to win an ever-elusive sixth game and register a non-losing season for the first time in a quarter of a century.

On the other side of the two-minute drill divide, the past weekend of action also witnessed a situation in which excessive calmness--not panic--killed a team's chances of mounting a last-second comeback.

Brian Brohm of Louisville played a gutsy and fearless game in leading the Cards to a near-upset of West Virginia in Morgantown. Brohm spilled his insides and delivered a lot of darts to help erase a 31-14 deficit against the Mountaineers, who regained a late lead on a spectacular play by their own ballsy leader, Pat White. But when trailing 38-31 in the game's final moments, Brohm's bold approach turned into excessive caution, leading another two-minute drill to slide off the rails.

Yes, one could legitimately say that the larger moral of this game-management story is to throw past the first-down marker in a two-minute drill. As was the case with Vandy on Saturday, Louisville's Thursday failure against West Virginia was also brought about by in-bounds throws short of the sticks. With that said, though, these Chinese fire drills rise and fall not just on the basis of getting first downs, but on larger decisions involving the level of urgency a team must possess in these situations.

Whereas--for example--Matt Grothe and South Florida had over a minute left to drive downfield for a tying field goal against Rutgers over three weeks ago, Brohm and Louisville--against West Virginia this past Thursday--had to get a touchdown just to tie. Moreover, the Cards' drive started at their own 1 with 1:36 left, after returner Trent Guy misjudged the kickoff and fell to the ground with the ball in his possession. At the start of that drive, Brohm had to know that the clock loomed large. If he was going to have a reasonable chance of scoring a touchdown, he needed to take his team a good 75 yards in roughly 70-80 seconds. (This would have given Louisville the ball near the WVU 25 with about 15-25 seconds left. Such a scenario would have offered the Cards the ability to have multiple chances of scoring without having to throw a Hail Mary pass. This would clearly represent a reasonable chance of success under such daunting circumstances.)

When you are playing the clock even more than an opposing team's defense--as was the case with Brohm in this situation--you have to realize what all too many college coaches and players fail to grasp: when you're in trouble late in a game, you don't have the luxury of making high-percentage decisions and plays. You have to push the envelope. Doing the safe thing is recommended only for teams who acquire comfortable leads and pronounced advantages.

Brohm's biggest sin on this final drive against West Virginia was not necessarily that he threw too many passes short of the sticks; no, the problem which afflicted the decorated signal caller and future NFL mainstay (health permitting) is that, once he faced a short-yardage situation, he became too calm. Brohm--facing the clock and the length of the field more than conventional down-and-distance considerations belonging to ordinary (read: "non-endgame") football--placed more value on gaining a sure three yards than on trying for 25 at the risk of an interception.

Here were the decisions that buried Brohm on his disastrous last-ditch drive against West Virginia:

On 2nd and 5 at his own 16 with roughly 45 seconds left, Brohm threw for just nine yards to running back George Stripling.

On 2nd and 2 at his own 33 with 31 seconds left (and after a timeout, no less), Brohm dumped off a short flip to Stripling, which was incomplete. On the following 3rd and 2? Dump-off to Stripling for eight yards. Brohm made sure he got first downs, all right, but at the cost of the larger goal: getting a touchdown. When Louisville moved the sticks to get to its own 41, fewer than 20 seconds remained on the game clock. Safe to say, the drive's only chance was Hail Mary Land, damning proof that the two-minute drill had failed to achieve reasonable objectives.

Louisville calmly caved in. Vandy folded in the face of fear. But at the end of the day, both teams and their respective quarterbacks encountered the same fate after displaying different emotions on two-minute drills.

Dump Dorrell Movement Spreads Out To The East
By Nestor Section: Football
Posted on Mon Nov 12, 2007 at 01:55:51 PM EDT

While the guys over at DumpDorrell.com are working to place much anticipated ads in the Daily Bruin, looks like the word has gone out ... all the way to the East Coast:

DD.GameDay.jpg

Many thanks to one of our loyal readers who sent us that priceless shot. He is a graduate couple of grad programs at UCLA, but attended Williams College in Massachusetts for his undergrad. He tuned on to WWL's Game Day las Saturday, which was being broadcast from Williams College, and ended up being greeted by that shot involving his graduate school alma mater's Doofus football coach coming from the campus of his undergrad alma mater.

Of course big ups to the Bruin fans near the Game Day set who pulled this off. We sure recognize their efforts on BN. If you see more signs like this as we count down to the end of the KD hell in Westwood, please email them to us. While at the same time hopefully we will get to see the ads in the Daily Bruin.

Let's keep the pressure on.

GO BRUINS.

Revenge best served in blowout, classless fashion
Posted on Mon Nov 12, 2007 at 02:48:42 PM EDT

revengewyoming.jpg
New Mexico better watch out.
If there is one thing we learned from the Wyoming game, it's that you don't really want to mess with Kyle Whittingham. The guy is one tough sonofabitch and he's not above not playing Mr. Nice Guy just for the sake of political correctness BS. What we saw Saturday was the awakening of a coach who, for whatever reason, had a difficult time defining who he was. Well wonder no longer, the new Kyle is a tough Kyle and if I'm New Mexico and BYU, I'd be quaking in my shoes.
It's not that I think Kyle is a jerk, he's just a competitor. In this game called football, in my mind, that's a positive attribute, rather than a negative one. What we saw Saturday was something we'd probably see from Steve Spurrier in his old Florida days. The Ol' Ball Coach always loved to run it up on Phil Fulmer and Tennessee. That's why he became the most hated -- and feared -- coach in the SEC. And though that hatred has tapered a bit due to his South Carolina teams sucking, you can't deny the shadow he cast on not only SEC football in the 90s, but college football in general.
It's taken nearly three years for Kyle Whittingham to find himself. But now, in his third year, he's done just that. I don't think it's a coincidence that this awaking has come just as the Utes are playing their best football in three years. Now he just needs to do it again next week. I don't think anyone forgets what happened at Albuquerque last year because I don't need to get into that game, but I expect Whittingham and his team will talk a lot about it this week. For that, they will come out fired up and hopefully they throw the gauntlet down early and often. Do to the Lobos what you did to Wyoming and then do it again the next week against BYU.

Notre Dame Historical Ineptitude Watch

Is their second consecutive losing effort to a service academy, Notre Dame at least moved above the mark that is the focus of our watch.

Though still easily the worst offense in the nation this year, with their 304 yards against Air Force Notre Dame is now averaging 218 yards per game offensively, which puts them just 4 yards above the 2002 Rutgers team which averaged 214 yards per game.

Does this mean our watch is over? Hell no!

In order for Notre Dame to stay above that 2002 Rutgers team, they will need to average –

193 Yards Per Game

Admittedly with games remaining against lowly Duke and Stanford, the Irish should “Git er done”. However, Notre Dame did come in with fewer than 193 yards 5 times this year, including their win over UCLA (140 yards total offense).

As an added plus, the Irish are still likely to finish with the worst offense in 2007. The current bottom 5 are –

115 Utah St. 270.8
116 Duke 266.0
117 Army 259.8
118 Florida Int'l 236.0
119 Notre Dame 218.0

That ladies and gentlemen is some SWEET company!

Can ND make up the 18 yards per game against FIU? Maybe not, as FIU plays no remaining “big teams” on their schedule (La Lafayette, FAU and North Texas).

Yes that North Texas, who gave up 74 points and 680 yards to Navy this week. It may very well come down to FIU’s game against the Mean Green to see if Irish eyes are crying.

Well, crying more than already, that is.

ASK MIKE LEACH
By SMQ
Posted on Mon Nov 12, 2007 at 01:41:20 PM EDT

t1_leachwhite.jpg

Occasional wisdom by Texas Tech coach Mike Leach.
- - -
Dear Coach Leach, I am 15 years old and I was hoping you could help me with a problem I'm having with my History teacher. You were livid after your team's loss at Texas Saturday because a crew whose head official lives in Austin overturned two touchdowns by the Raiders in the third quarter Saturday and didn't throw a key flag for roughing the passer. He was obviously biased and you said so. Last week, my teacher picked my friend Roger to go on a trip to Washington, D.C., this Spring instead of me, even though I made higher grades on my last two tests and always raise my hand more in class. He is obviously biased, too (probably because Roger's mom is prettier, which she totally is, but I can't help it). You adamantly condemned the officials at your game Saturday. Is it okay if I publicly condemn my History teacher for picking Roger to go to D.C.?
Guns Up!
- Slowly Cultivating Reckless Envy With Every Day
- - -
Thanks for the letter, SCREWED. Now, I don't believe in apologies or regret. There is no past and no future, only the present moment. Live in the now and don't worry about the past because you can't change it. I don't remember any of what I said after the game, out of principle.
But you know, I took a step back after I spoke those words and looked at them with a little perspective, and I made a sincere effort to put myself in the officials' shoes. Now, anybody that knows me knows I don't necessarily like to "play by the rules." I mean, I'm already arbitrarily confined to eleven men and four downs and sixty minutes, according to who? Some book written by some committee from the Ivy League to save the sport from the bloodthirsty ruffians a hundred years ago? As a friend to bloodthirsty ruffians and occasionally one my own self, I would resent living my life and making decisions based on some book. Suspend me, fine me, throw a flag on me, who gives a damn? I'm still gonna be coaching. If they say, "You're going to get fifteen yards for this," well, you're going to be dead in a hundred years anyway. That's too strong, too much. Live dangerously. Me personally, I would go opposite of that: think you're going to get away with it. Don't be a coward. Go out there, have a good time, hold a little, maybe slip an ineligible man downfield, expect to succeed doing what you're doing. And if you run into the bad stuff, don't let that ruin your day. You get a penalty, worst thing that happens is you have to complete another pass. Big deal. It's worth trying, trust me. I forgot that Saturday.
But these refs, they're like bureaucrats; they have no choice. Their existence is based on the book, they have to live by the book every day, and if they get away from that, they may not be back next week. They get reviewed, heckled, people come after them because they're supposed to be "accountable" (note: being "accountable" is always for the dogs, SCREWED. Never be accountable to anyone or anything but yourself and your goals). So when they find a way to inject a little personal flair into their job, get out of the box, a little off the beaten path, well, you have to respect inventiveness. Take another Big 12 game Saturday, for example, when Colorado players had to be restrained from attacking some particularly creative Big 12 refs at the end of their 31-28 loss at Iowa State:

• Quarterback Cody Hawkins led the Buffs to the Iowa State 33-yard line when the offense sprinted off the field and the field-goal team dashed in for a tying attempt from 50 yards out. Place-kicker Kevin Eberhart, who had missed earlier in the contest, made the kick, but it was nullified by officials who said the ball was snapped before it had been declared ready for play. The delay-of-game penalty moved the ball back 5 yards, making Eberhart's second attempt a 55-yard blast. He made it, too, with the wind at his back, but officials waved it off after a brief conference during which they concluded the ball was not snapped on time after it was ruled ready for play and the clock started.
    - - -
Now, how many times in your life will you get the opportunity to make the game-tying kick from 50 yards out, much less the opportunity to make it twice in a row, and neither of them count? This is an amazing achievement in officiating, a really groundbreaking bending of interpretation to usurp performance, and now that I've calmed down a little, I see the virtue in that. Not everyone could have found the logic or the audacity to take even one kick away, much less two, or to make that logic stick. It's like a little subversive masterpiece.
You can paint your canvas in ways, SCREWED - sometimes you take away, and sometimes you add to create the effect you're looking. Up in Dallas, the officials looked at the picture at the end of the SMU-Rice game and decided it could use just one more little second:

• SMU coach Phil Bennett said the game should have been over before Rice's Clark Fangmeier hit the game-winning, 31-yard field goal with no time remaining. Bennett said Rice's Justin Hill hadn't gone down with one second left, as officials ruled.
    "The clock ran out; you watch," Bennett said. "The guy kept running. The play went longer than they thought. They thought the kid was going to go down. That's my opinion. It doesn't matter. The final score was Rice 43, SMU 42."
    - - -
I realized after reading Coach Bennett's words that he is truly wise (that's probably why the stuffed shirts are getting rid of him): it doesn't matter. Step back for a second. Take a breath. Sure, there might be a lot of money on the line in these games, bowl bids and all that, a lot of physical and emotional investment, but a questionable official decision that directly affects the outcome of a game that can determine your livelihood is not the end of the world. It's in the past. You have to take the challenges as part of the peaks and valleys of life and move on. If you get too caught up in the moment, you wind up doing something like this:
upyoursutes.jpg

Coach Glenn and I are kindred spirits of sorts, but he's down 43-0 in the third quarter. I may have spoken too quickly, but at least I wasn't making vulgar hand signs at Mack Brown for doing his job, which is to do everything in his power to humiliate my team. I've kicked up to six onside kicks in games with nine and ten-touchdown leads, just because we hadn't gotten to the trick plays yet. Grow up, Joe.
On that note, I'm looking forward to visiting with Coach Bennett after the season at the Rio Caliente Spa and Nature Resort in Primavera, Mexico for daily yoga and water exercise, guided nature hikes, unforgettable sunsets, soaks in hot mineral water, horseback excursions and massage, beauty and anti-aging treatments - it comes highly recommended by Jimmy Johnson. In the meantime, SCREWED, if there's one lesson you can take away from this experience, it's this: try to find the art in everything you do, put yourself in other people's shoes, and remember that people in authority are people, too. They will burn in the reeking sulfur pits of hell for eternity, sure, but that's not for you or I to judge.
Serenely,
Mike Leach

Pac Ten May Not Fill Bowl Slots

Posted Nov 12th 2007 1:06PM by Scott Olin Schmidt
Filed under: California Football, Oregon Football, UCLA Football, USC Football, Pac 10, Bowl Games, Arizona Football
rose-bowl-panorama-425.jpg

Although it is considered by many to be the second-toughest conference in College Football, the Pac Ten looks like it will not fill all of its bowl allotments in 2007.
The Pac Ten has arrangements this year with the Rose, Holiday, Sun, Las Vegas, Emerald and Armed Forces Bowls. That is six bowls before you consider that either Arizona State or USC will likely get a BCS at-large invitation if either team wins its final two games.
Five Pac-Ten teams are already bowl-eligible: Oregon, ASU, USC, California and Oregon State--but coming up with a sixth--or even seventh--will be much more difficult.

Already, Stanford and Washington are mathematically eliminated from bowl contention. Arizona must beat both Oregon and Arizona State--the conference's top two teams--to become bowl eligible, so count them out, which leaves two teams fighting for one or two bowl bids...
UCLA only needs one more win--but their final two games are against Oregon and USC--and the Bruins are running on empty in the skill positions.
Washington State must beat Oregon State and Washington to make it...which seems possible.
However, if USC and Oregon both win their remaining games and earn BCS bids--at-large, Title or otherwise--then the Pac Ten will mathematically not be filling its contractual bowl agreements in 2007.

Back