CFB Week 1 (8/28-9/1) News and Picks

the most unimpressive 34-0 game i ever watched, just happy it fuken hit

No shit. I had Yanks hitting me up on text and Horses and I about to throw our beer glasses at the screen during the 1H.

Replay is on right now on ESPNU. Game sucks just as much the second time around.

Beecher will be lucky to get a sniff at garbage time later on. 0-4 ratio? Smelley 5-5 for a 2-0 ratio? Not even close.

Beecher is going to start vs. Vandy, I think.

He did suck but the OL sucked too in the first half. When they moved #76 to LT, the line did a little better in the second half. #66 was abused all night. The OL had 4 false starts, a holding call, and a personal fall. False starts in ur fuken stadium?

Yeah, the OL had problems. I was too pissed and had my attention split between 3 games to notice the change up in the 2H. Probably helped too.

Beecher may have his work cut out for him against Vandy. They looked good (for Vandy) against Miami last night.

Yeah, the OL had problems. I was too pissed and had my attention split between 3 games to notice the change up in the 2H. Probably helped too.

Beecher may have his work cut out for him against Vandy. They looked good (for Vandy) against Miami last night.

I did not watch any of it, I was too busy chugging my beer and screaming at the TV, I understand Nickson had quite a day (166rushing-2td) and threw for 1 td but he seemed like he was their whole offense last night. I think if he rushes 20 times against us he is going to be pretty bruised up too. Running QB's have given us problems so its going to be interesting in this game. Brinkley played about 50% of the game last night, they are easing him back in but he needs to be on the field for more than that versus Vandy.

Illinois is close, but it's about more than just finishing

By Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-38679710-1220046779.jpg

Missouri was invincible in '07 except in one circumstance, which only repeated itself once: in two meeting against Oklahoma, Chase Daniel was hurried, hit, picked, hemmed in as a scrambler and forced into critical fumbles, and the Sooners duly handed Mizzou its only losses. The only other team that managed a positive turnover margin against the Tigers was Illinois State; against everyone else, Daniel and Co. were +18.
'Everyone else' included Illinois, who at this point last year was still generally regarded as a laughingstock; when Eddie McGee, going in for a go-ahead touchdown in the second quarter, instead fumbled away what became a 99-yard ouchdown return and a 14-point swing for Misouri, I texted a Zook-hating Gator fan, "Well, same old Illinois, I see." You could say that turnovers (Missouri was +3) were the only real difference between the Tiger and Illini offenses on the scoreboard, and the box score -- they were essential even in yards and first downs -- back that up. And the Illini made it a game with its starting quarterback on the bench, no less.
But no matter how improved Juice Williams is as a passer, or what kind of physical specimen Arrelious Benn is, Illinois' success will hing on how comfortable Daniel is in the pocket. If there's one player on Missouri's schedule that can hope to match up with Jeremy Maclin without consistent help, it's Vontae Davis, and if Illinois has one head-to-head advantage, it's the deep rotation of pass-rushing ends against a reshuffled Tiger line. So there is some hope that, even without a Rashard Mendenhall-level threat in the backfield, the offense will be better at holding on to the ball and the defense can put enough pressure on Daniel to produce a few stops and force a critical mistake or two that will keep the score within reach.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-790415796-1220046842.jpg
Again, though, the only team that got in Daniel's face as a matter of course was the only one that could even pretend it had better athletes across the field than Missouri, and even Oklahoma was gashed for 418 yards and 31 points on its own field in the regular season -- OU made up the winning ten-point margin, again, in turnovers.
As many weapons and quick-hitting tactics (bubble screens, delayed screens, trap-heavy misdirection runs, etc.) as the Tigers have to deploy against man coverage or over-aggression on the Illini's part, and as precise as Daniel has been the overwhelming majority of the last two years, if the Illini can't make them one-dimensional and bring pressure from the edges without relying on steady blitzes, even four full quarters of Juice isn't likely to be enough to make up for the deluge the Tigers are capable of bringing forth.

BOL RJ. I love the Okie State play. You mentioned Okie State as a road dog but isn't the game in Seattle? I appreciate the fact that it is a lot closer to Washington State than Oklahoma but I wanted to make sure I understood the game completely, as Okie State struggled mightily on the road last year. I just don't see how Wash St keeps this game within a td.

Using a couple of freeplays on these:

Temple -7 (-110)
Okie Lite -7 (-110)

Couple of road favs here again. Ugh.

Dolly--Right, the game is in Seattle, which is technically neutral but I'd call this a road game for Okie Lite.

We'll see what happens. Big tail of Bjorks. I might double up later too.

Adding:

TCU -6' (-110) 1.5 units Freeplay

Yet another road fav. Blecho. But it's pretty clear this is the right side and I see a very low scoring game with UNM having alot of difficulty scoring.

VK, Marlo, Jump, LJC--Thanks guys. Let's make some money.

Adding:

Kansas TT o45 (-115)

Kansas played 4 non-confs last year and scored 45+ in each. I like Kansas to score 49+ in this one as there will be alot of passing and alot of clock to work with.

Not a bad start to the season. 7-2 with Tenn pending. Very perplexed about the Kansas game. Looked like that game was going way over on the TT and the game total and then there was no more scoring. Hmmmmmm.

Illinois is close, but it's about more than just finishing

By Matt Hinton
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-38679710-1220046779.jpg

Missouri was invincible in '07 except in one circumstance, which only repeated itself once: in two meeting against Oklahoma, Chase Daniel was hurried, hit, picked, hemmed in as a scrambler and forced into critical fumbles, and the Sooners duly handed Mizzou its only losses. The only other team that managed a positive turnover margin against the Tigers was Illinois State; against everyone else, Daniel and Co. were +18.
'Everyone else' included Illinois, who at this point last year was still generally regarded as a laughingstock; when Eddie McGee, going in for a go-ahead touchdown in the second quarter, instead fumbled away what became a 99-yard ouchdown return and a 14-point swing for Misouri, I texted a Zook-hating Gator fan, "Well, same old Illinois, I see." You could say that turnovers (Missouri was +3) were the only real difference between the Tiger and Illini offenses on the scoreboard, and the box score -- they were essential even in yards and first downs -- back that up. And the Illini made it a game with its starting quarterback on the bench, no less.
But no matter how improved Juice Williams is as a passer, or what kind of physical specimen Arrelious Benn is, Illinois' success will hing on how comfortable Daniel is in the pocket. If there's one player on Missouri's schedule that can hope to match up with Jeremy Maclin without consistent help, it's Vontae Davis, and if Illinois has one head-to-head advantage, it's the deep rotation of pass-rushing ends against a reshuffled Tiger line. So there is some hope that, even without a Rashard Mendenhall-level threat in the backfield, the offense will be better at holding on to the ball and the defense can put enough pressure on Daniel to produce a few stops and force a critical mistake or two that will keep the score within reach.
ept_sports_ncaaf_experts-790415796-1220046842.jpg
Again, though, the only team that got in Daniel's face as a matter of course was the only one that could even pretend it had better athletes across the field than Missouri, and even Oklahoma was gashed for 418 yards and 31 points on its own field in the regular season -- OU made up the winning ten-point margin, again, in turnovers.
As many weapons and quick-hitting tactics (bubble screens, delayed screens, trap-heavy misdirection runs, etc.) as the Tigers have to deploy against man coverage or over-aggression on the Illini's part, and as precise as Daniel has been the overwhelming majority of the last two years, if the Illini can't make them one-dimensional and bring pressure from the edges without relying on steady blitzes, even four full quarters of Juice isn't likely to be enough to make up for the deluge the Tigers are capable of bringing forth.

Someone needs to tell this author Illy plays zone.

Aztec and Yanks--Thanks, guys.

Brewer--I'll pass it along to him. Still it wasn't as bad as Corso calling for a WSU upset over Okie Lite this morning because the game was in Pullman.

Back