CFB ML dogs week 9

for anyone considering playing NCSU................consider it.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/uvafootball/wb/137239

Groh: Hurt players will go to Raleigh for N.C. State game

By Doug Doughty

Virginia coach Al Groh indicated on today's teleconference that all of his injured players except for running back Cedric Peerman will be travelling to Raleigh, N.C., for the Cavaliers' game Saturday with North Carolina State.

Included in that group are cornerback Chris Cook, fullback Rashawn Jackson and tight end Tom Santi. All were starters at the time of their injuries.

Cook has missed two games with an apparent ankle injury, Jackson has missed one game with a pulled hamstring and Santi has a sprained ankle suffered Saturday in an 18-17 victory at Maryland.

oh my...if he doesn't play, UCLA will lose. they made Notre Dame look like they had a good defense.......and boy do the domers NOT...

Cowan is held out of practice

He hobbles around the field but Dorrell says the quarterback will be ready to play against Washington State.
By Chris Foster, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
October 25, 2007
UCLA's quarterback situation seemed precarious Wednesday, though Coach Karl Dorrell said all was well.

Still, starter Patrick Cowan did not take a snap and hobbled around the practice field. He spent his time playingde facto quarterback coach, consoling walk-on McLeod Bethel-Thompson and freshman Chris Forcier.

"We're trying to get some other quarterbacks ready to play just in case," Dorrell said. "I did not want Pat to practice today. I wanted to give him some rest. He could have practiced. I chose not to let that happen."

Cowan, though, limped throughout practice and was held out of even basic individual drills. He has played in only two games and practiced only two weeks because of a torn hamstring and a torn ligament in his right knee. He returned to start against California, replacing the injured Ben Olson (knee), last Saturday.

Slowing him further is a sore right calf, an offshoot of his knee injury, though that is not considered serious. But Dorrell was concerned enough to move Forcier back into the mix. He ran the scout team Tuesday.

The Bruins, who normally travel with three quarterbacks, will take four to Washington State on Saturday.

Cowan sat out the final segment of practice Tuesday with what was said to be fatigue.

"He'll be ready, he'll be practicing tomorrow," Dorrell said. "He had a long time off [with injuries] and then played the whole game. He's probably physically not in great condition. We want to make sure we're smart about this."

The injuries and soreness may force the Bruins hierarchy to manage Cowan's practice time the remainder of the season.

Cowan was not available for comment, as quarterbacks are not allowed to speak to the media after Tuesday.

With Cowan limited to limping and watching, Bethel-Thompson ran the first-team offense and Forcier worked with the second unit.

Osaar Rasshan, who moved back to quarterback after switching to wide receiver during the summer, watched. Rasshan, who came to UCLA as a quarterback, is No. 3 on the depth chart for now.

"We're preparing Osaar to play," Dorrell said. "He still needs work, just like all those guys. We wanted Forcier to get more reps today. We'll evaluate the situation."

If Cowan is unavailable, or gets re-injured during the game, the Bruins will have to alter their play selection to a degree.

"Not entirely, but there are certain things guys do well," said Jay Norvell, offensive coordinator. "There are things you pattern for certain guys."

Forcier and Rasshan have good speed, which can make them effective as runners.

"We always ask the quarterbacks on Thursday to go through the game plan and mark the things they feel really comfortable with and what they don't," Norvell said. "That affects our play calling too. We always want to get their feedback."

Bethel-Thompson is the only backup with game experience. He had four passes intercepted by Notre Dame.

Bethel-Thompson, Forcier and Rasshan were not allowed to talk with the media.

Dorrell officially ruled out middle linebacker Christian Taylor (concussion) for Saturday's game. John Hale, Kyle Bosworth and Reggie Carter will rotate filling in at his spot. Taylor was not allowed to talk with the media. . . . Dorrell said he expected defensive tackle Jerzy Siewierski (shoulder) and defensive end Tom Blake (knee) to play this week.

im not sure what foster is trying to do, but there is no issue. he's definitely playing.

at this point, he is the entire program and the only chance Dorrell has to save his job.. He's the difference between a shot at the pac10 title or losing out. theres no reason to tire him out comin off a torn MCL, let him take the entire week off he needs to.. the only thing that matters is for him to be ready on satuday.

he's had two weeks of practice in 2 months and he's still done fine on the field.

what I find hilarious is that MaC is still the second stringer:36_11_6:. Dorrell really doesn't get it. Its fucking pathetic.

the ML has value. I hate saying that but Wazzu owns UCLA.

Cowan should get the W, but its not like he's a pocket qb. he runs around a lot and takes hits, altho he tired to avoid contact vs. Cal, he's always on the cusp of getting nailed.

And Taylor being out is a huge deal. He's the MLB / QB of the defense.

I'm always nervous vs. wazzu. But UCLA has been granted a third life with the way the pac10 season has played out so far. There is no reason for them to be playing any meaningful games after Utah and ND, but they are. Beating Cal put their destiny in their own hands. I'd be shocked if they blow it vs an inferior team.....but blowing it is what Dorrell does best.

Brian Price will be making his first start at defensive tackle. True Freshman outta Crenshaw. sc was desperate to land him, but Norton tried to be thuglife with him which turned Price off. He's a future first round DT and sc knew it. Harwell is still out and ive heard Dorrell refuses to grant him his medical redshirt (i didnt realize coaches could do that) so Harwell should be back at some point this season.

Once he comes back to go with Brown and Price, the dline is going to be viscious.

thanks for the insight sportjunky. Not sure I'll play this one, but I was contemplating it yesterday.

Hmm...wazzou may not be able to run on UCLA, but they should be able to pass pretty well on em.

And even tho sportjunky says, "he'll play", perhaps Cowan'll get his ass smashed through his teeth and they'll have to put the walk-on back in.

That would get entertaining...

Washington St +202ish

Hey red, any chance NC State can pull off another win this week? I was thinking of adding them. I'm kinda surprised the line isn't higher though.

Any insight on South Carolina? Looks like the road team has won the last 3 matchups.

I see you're on Rutgers. Well if it's good enough for you, what the hell. I'll probably play them. I'm just a little worried about a letdown.

So yeah ML dog card is locked in except for those are the last 3 I was still looking at.

NC State could win, I guess....VA doesn't travel well, and peerman is staying home. Still....I'll be shocked if my boys pull of a 2 game win "streak" this year...

and I agree. That shit should be higher. I was thinking a quarter over 2:1 migth get me to bother with it, but at the numbers I'm seeing, it's not even on my radar screen.

I don't have any insight into South Carolina, and i haven't played it. I just think they're the better team.

As to Rutgers, I dunno if they're better than WVA, but they are certainly better than 33% likely to win (I was thinking toss-up at worst), and I got over 2:1. Air Force fucked us with 5 fumbles last night...methinks Rutgers won't make that many of that sort of mistake.

Of those three, I played RU already...and I haven't played SC - no value. GL if you play em...I'll be pullin for ya.

As for Friday Night's game...

My initial thought was to play Boise, because I think that number is pretty light.

@ Nevada, Fresno was a 3pt dog, and hosting Nevada, Boise was a 25 point fave (obviously a bit too much).
@ Louie Tech, Boise St was a 17pt fave, and hosting LT, Fresno was a 12 pt fave.

Seems to me the line should be about a TD...

But then, losing Ian Johnson is a big blow...of course the dude that takes over for him, freshman tailback Jeremy Avery, had a great game with 110 rushing yards, 79 receiving yards and two TDs against Louisiana Tech.

I do think Boise will win, but I fear a close game enough that I'm not going to bother betting it. It's good to take days off from time to time anyway.

haha i like how you striked down PSU as an idiot move

i thought for sure you'd be on them

Penn St? No, I need more than 2:1 to fade Ohio State...even at Happy Valley. I think Morelli will get brutalized by the buckeye defense.

hey, I could be completely wrong. :shake:

My Ohio play got matched.

So I have

Ohio +250.88

Stanford +450

I doubt it goes higher, and I will definitely be on it. I tend to not play anything during gameday, so this'll be it, methinks.

Stanford has won two of its last three, and that includes its monumental upset of USC. But you still don’t think much of them, right? The Oregon State Beavers might not, either, especially with a trip to USC looming next week. That could be a huge mistake. Stanford sophomore quarterback Tavita Pritchard has steadily improved and made an excellent showing in a 21-20 victory over Arizona last week. The Beavers tend to give up a lot of points, haiving allowed at least 28 four times this season. Stanford has exceeded 30 points three times. If the Stanford defense, which is respectable against the run, can at least slow down running back Yvenson Bernard, the Cardinal will have a chance because Oregon State’s passing game has been inconsistent.---rivals.com

My Card:
Stanford +425
Stanford +14
Cent. Mich -2 1/2
Ball St. +14
USF -3
Ohio St. -3
Kansas -3
Hawaii -27
Arizona St. -3
Mich St. -3 (
Louisville -9
Maryland +3 1/2
South Carolina +3
Texas -20
W. Va -6

Last edited:
Yeah, Jimmy, I think this one has a lot of value in it. Not sure stanford is really a 50/50 shot to win, but I think the stars could far more easily align for em tomorrow. I'm honestly thinking high 30s to perhaps even an honest-to-God 40% chance of a win. If I could find spots and teams like this every day, after a year I'd be a very rich guy....

The beavers have some issues on the O-Line, too...

Stanford...well.......it is true that USC made a lot of mistakes in that game, but TREE really did capitalize on them to get some key yards against a very good defense. If Oregon St makes even half as many errors as the trojans did, then Stanford really -should- win this game. Tuitama made his last week every time he threw the ball downfield...I'm hoping stanford can keep up, or, and I think this is a much bigger chance than most any other team out there....Oregon St folds up and quits like they did against Cincinnati.

GL on your card tomorrow. I like a LOT of those games.

:shake:

Playing my first ML of the year with you on Rice. What a great price you got (I got +255), Marshall LAYING 9??? I'll take it.

getting +450 vs. a QB as bad as Canfeld is a good bet.

Cal and PSU are going to be my two ml plays for the day.

GL tomorrow Bearde.

Ramble, I agree man...I don't get it. GL to us!

sportjunky, I can't fault you for those. If morelli doesn't fuck me with a rake every damn time I bet on penn st, then perhaps I am right there with you. I think Cal is a good bet. If I could get 1.5, then I'd be with you.

pags, thanks bro. GL to you, too!

Red-

After going through my "early season crisis" (tried too hard to pick locks for a friend who was tailing me, resulting in picking a bunch of losers)...this is one of the few threads I still read end to end.

I like some of your card today...but it seems like a frustrating week for ML Dogs this week. I played USC at the crappy number. I actually played Ohio State and Louisville as ML favorites (I'm not sure if you ever do this, but I actually have a lot of success. The key, though, is to look at it as if you were a dog player,and if you see zero value, consider the fav.)

The reason that I am posting, though, is because of the Cal-Arizona State game. I've wanted to play Cal all week-but at just over +130 or whatever it is, theres no way its worth it. Take the 3 points at -102 on Matchbook-Arizona State has quite the stable of runners but they did lose Torain and I see this game staying close, either way. I just couldn't pass up the points there.

Also, I know its a garbage game, but I'm on Memphis +125....

GL man

heheheh...as you must know, I'm a memphis bigot. Can't bet em. JUST CAN'T.

I'm right there with on Cal....wish there was sufficient value to bother with...

I don't play ML faves....only time would be one of these short-number games like tOSU. Thing is if I really think it'll be close, then I can't convince myself to lay so much money. -160ish is extremely painful when it loses.......

GL to us bro!

I'm so pissed off I can't see straight. I matched up Washington St yesterday, and now I can't find any record of it at MB.......zip.

Boston College +150 - W
Air Force +210 - L
Pitt +395 - L
Rice +270 - L
Rutgers +210 - L
Indiana +250 - L
Georgia +278.8 - W
Southern Cal +135 - L
Washington St +202ish
Ohio +250.88 - W
Stanford +450 - L

tOSU -4 (-101) - W
South FL -4 (-110) - L
Utah -6 (-102) - W

so....3-8, -1.2 units. It was an extremely disappointing day in that McCoy fumbled the ball on 1st and goal from the Louisville 1....and UTEP managed to lose at home in a shootout. And for the week, Air Force fumbled it 5 times to lose by 3....

Of course, then there's the Washington st bet that I was so fucking sure I got matched and, well, I can only guess I didn't.

angry.gif

ML dogs: 29-51, 36.25%, +15.26 units

Last couple weeks just about everything went right; perhaps I shouldn't complain about missing a few this week. But hey, I'm greedy.

Colorado was the biggest value play of the year

feel stupid if you didn't take em.

Back