CFB Bowls...12/19/06 - 1/8/07

Yanks27Sox9

CTG Partner
Let's go bowling!!!

I'm going to use this one thread throughout the bowl season. All plays &/or analysis will be in here, for clarity's sake. In fact, it might be a good idea in most cases, because the CFB forum will be busy enough w/out a separate thread for each & every game. But to each his own...

With the lines out already, i jumped on two games tonight. By no means am i done with these two games...just wanted to get a head start with them. But for the most part...i'm gonna take my time evaluating the matchups, watching the lines movements, and capping these babies...as there's no reason to rush into things too early. (Unless there's a beauty of a line now, that is.)

Here are my first two plays of the bowl season...though i definitely will be heavying up on these in the near future as well.

Rose Bowl, January 1
Michigan (-2.5) over USC (+110) for 3 units

First off, don't be giving the Trojans home field advantage. The Rose Bowl is not their home...and even though SoCal is, they have not had much success in the Rose Bowl of late. Most recent examples would be Texas and UCLA, their last two trips. Also, on that front, it's not like Michigan (or any other Big 10 powerhouse for that matter) is a complete stranger to the Rose Bowl come January. And UM will travel well.
Also, forget the thought of one team or the other having a letdown. Even if it's partially true, both these teams are in the exact same emotional boat...since both had very real aspirations for the title game.
So, the matchup. Look at the numbers...two very evenly matched teams, on both sides of the ball. But this was supposed to be USC's rebuilding year on offense. And at least offensively, it can be argued that they overacheived for much of the year. But what troubled the Trojan offense this year? Aggressive defenses that got to, pressured, and disrupted the QB. Oregon St, despite their many flaws, did that. (And you gotta at least give their defense some credit for the turnovers they created, and the early lead it helped them build.) UCLA, also despite their flaws on offense, did that too...with a very under-rated defense. Well, UM doesn't have an under-rated defense...but they have a magnificent front seven, and they will most assuredly put pressure on the QB. They will also take away any running game USC hopes to establish, which wasn't all that much to begin with. So the onus will be directly on young Booty's shoulders. And he's not going to have the time he's used to getting in the Pac 10, or that he got from Notre Dame. Also, one difference between USC and Ohio St to note. Even though USC has two great receivers...and the UM secondary was torched by the Buckeye receivers...they are not burners. Meaning USC's two excellent receivers are not going to be blowing by anyone on UM. They will have some success, no doubt...but it'll be due to their receiving strengths, not blazing speed.
Anyways, i'll get into this game much more between now and January 1st, but that's a good start for the discussion. I will say this...once all the bowls are over, Michigan will again be able to claim they're the #2 team in the country...to Ohio St.

Fiesta Bowl, January 1
Oklahoma (-8.5) over Boise St (-105) for 3 units

I'l get into this in more detail later too...but here's the short version. I expect neither team to come in let down (in any way) to be in this bowl...as both should be fired up. But this boils down to what i perceive as a complete mis-match. The Big 12 Champ versus the WAC Champ. I think we'll again see the disparity in talent, across the board.
Also, Boise St is a completely different (much lessor) team away from home, and that blue smurf turf. Just see how they squeaked by in some of their road games this year...for example, the trip to face the mighty San Jose St Spartans, where they escaped with a narrow win.
You get Boise St away from home, and do a decent job at limiting their running game, and they are ripe for an ass kicking. Then throw in the overall disparity in talent, and Oklahoma's excellent running game...well, it looks like the potential for a serious blowout, imo.

Well, this is jsut the beginning. Hopefully we'll all enjoy a very profitable bowl season, over the course of the three weeks.

BTW...the UM/USC line will get bet down. Hoping i can double up whenever it bottoms out. The OU line though is only gonna climb.

Happy capping, boys & girls. :cheers:

Good luck but i think pete will fix the problem. I cant see usc losing 2 in a row.. it would put a huge halt to the teams momentum. This game is a lot like usc v michigan in the rose a few years ago.

If Adrian is back, I will think twice about Boise, but at +10 I like the boys from the Smurf Turf...

I was thinking that Boise will be up for this game no doubt, but I wonder if Oklahoma will be up for Boise? I think Stoops has a tough job of keeping the team focused on Boise..

HUNTDOG said:
GL yanks...love the analysis on UM.
11_2_104.gif

yep, yanks gets some man love from me...my question is why in the world does UM open as a 3.5 point fav...hmm.

HUNTDOG said:
yep, yanks gets some man love from me...my question is why in the world does UM open as a 3.5 point fav...hmm.
Because they are ranked higher and because they only lost to #1 by 3.. :drink:

abcs said:
This game is a lot like usc v michigan in the rose a few years ago.

If by "a lot like usc v michigan in the rose a few years ago" you mean "football played in front of thousands of people in California" I agree with you. Otherwise, this game is totally different, especially considering the mindset and even the talent of this Trojan team versus the 2003 team. This team just choked away a shot at the title to a double digit dog and cross town rival. The '03 team had all the momentum in the world and had a chip on its shoulder from being squeezed out of the BCS Title game by two one loss teams.

This time it will be Michigan with a chip on its shoulder, and an easy cover should ensue.

It looks a lot like the rose bowl from a few years ago.. becuz michigan came in as a great team getting a lot of hype.
That rose bowl michigan came in covering the last 6 spreads winning by 14,31,7,28 and 42. They were the talk in my mind that game. And usc out played them. But well see, i actually have no idea in this game so im not gonna debate it..

Like both plays yanks...just want to read about mindsets more....

So even though I didn't play UM yet like you noted in my thread in mod forum it will be a play once I confirm their desire....they are favored for a reason as Hunt said

i hear ya

B.A.R. said:
Like both plays yanks...just want to read about mindsets more....

So even though I didn't play UM yet like you noted in my thread in mod forum it will be a play once I confirm their desire....they are favored for a reason as Hunt said

and the way it's going, it can't hurt. i'll wet myself if this line reaches a pick em.

also, more on differences...
USC is much improved on the defensive side of the ball. But the offense is very different from previous years...if youre gonna look at recent bowls for the Trojans.
No Bush or White in the backfield for one. Major drop off in the running game. And that is definitely not Carson or Matt back there at QB. How will John David handle his first bowl start? Against this UM defense, that'll be all over him...and taking away any threat of a run game?

Waiting and watching this line...hopefully it'll keep moving in the right direction, before i double up.

two more plays

Had to go take two historically good bowlers tonight.

Car Care Bowl, December 30
Boston College (-7) over Navy (+102) for 2 units

Was waiting for the line to come back to 7, and it did. I'll add a write up later, but BC will simply out-class Navy.

Capital One Bowl, January 1
Wisconsin (+1.5) over Arkansas (+103) for 2 units

Missed the great early line. Was hoping it would come back to 3 pts. But i jumped on this...worried the way it seems to be heading to a pick em, or close to it.

At the office...but i'll add more on these games later tonight.

- Well, UM's almost a pickem. Still waiting to add to this play though.
- Not sure why Boise's getting some love...
- Coach leaving hurt my BC line.
- And the Wisky line's stayed about the same.

Actually been a rather quiet last couple of days here...jsut waiting and watching the lines. Kentucky might jsut be the next play...but we will see.

The Oklahoma line's been taken off the board, ever since they confirmed Adrian Peterson was cleared to play.
Not exactly sure why it's taking so long to compensate for this announcement...because from what i could tell a week ago, it basically looked like a given.
Is there something else i'm missing here?

I think your right yanks...due to AP..line might get over 10 now just because of his name.

some bowl additions

Had some time to kill tonight, so i locked in on another four bowls.
But first, i added to the UM play above...

Rose Bowl, January 1
Michigan ML (+103) over USC for 2 units

My largest bowl game of the season, for sure. Now a total of 5 units riding on UM for the roses.

Anyways, here are the 4 new ones...

Chick-fil-A Bowl, December 30
Virgina Tech (-3) over Georgia (+105) for 2 units

Champs Sports Bowl, December 29
Maryland (-2) over Purdue (+102) for 2 units

Armed Forces Bowl, December 23
Tulsa (+2) over Utah (+100) for 2 units

Las Vegas Bowl, December 21
BYU (-4) over Oregon (+100) for 2 units

Michigan (-2.5) and UM ML
Oklahoma (-8.5)
BC (-7)
Wisky (+1.5)
V Tech (-3)
Maryland (-2)
Tulsa (+2)
BYU (-4)

All plays for 2 units, except the first two. Oklahoma is a 3 unit play, and i got a total of 5 units on UM.
What can i say, i'm not all that patient i guess.:cheers:

Hehe, looks real solid Yanks. Glad to see the balls on Michigan...I too may add more as we get closer to gameday.

Oklahoma will roll over BOISE State, look at Boise's games against the big boys the last few years. I know they rolled over Oregon State because Ian Johnson went off. But, they are experiencing a defense they have not seen. They would of beat Wake Forest, Notre Dame and given Louisville a good game, if they were playing those BCS teams.

My input!!

lol, hunt

HUNTDOG said:
balls of steel yanks,think Lloyd outcoaches carrol?...tough game IMo.

yeah, iron balls mackenzie...or so i've been told.
but to answer your question...kind of, but it also won't be all that relevant imo. Pete's a defensive guy anyways. The key, since USC's run game isn't what it was, is to pressure Booty. If UM's front 7 can do that, the rest won't matter.

thx for the input fairmountbull:shake:
glad we agree. and welcome to the site, bro.

more additions...

Locked in on yet another four bowls...so that's 12 of 32 already, lol.

Poinsettia Bowl, December 19
N Illinois (+12) over TCU (-105) for 2 units

Straight tail of Rex in the bowl opener.

New Mexico Bowl, December 23
San Jose St (+3) over New Mexico (+103) for 2 units

Love the Spartans to win SU...but the home field advantage NM has kept me on the 3 pts versus the ML.

Holiday Bowl, December 28
Texas A&M (+4) over California (+102) for 2 units

Don't think Cal's gonna show up, after the disappointing finish to their season. Nevertheless, don't see how they'll stop A&M's attack.

Sugar Bowl, January 3
LSU (-10) over Notre Dame (+101) for 2 units

Just way too much speed for the Irish to deal with...on both sides of the ball. Throw in home field, and this is gonna be a blowout.

Gonna take my time with the rest of the bowls, and play 'em as they come. But i'm now set for the first couple...though totals are still an option too.

GL:drink:

2 down, 30 to go

Well, 1-1 through the first two bowls...basically dead even. 2 favs covered, and 2 unders as well. Time for both things to change in the third bowl of the season.

New Orleans Bowl, December 22
Troy (+4) over Rice (-104) for 1 unit
Troy/Rice over 54 (-109) for 2 units

Public's been all over the Owls, like white on Rice, since the line came out...yet it's fallen all the way to 4 points as of tonight, mostly due to the health question Rice has at QB.
Public's also on the under here, though not nearly as much as the spread...and the total keeps on rising.

Now by itself, i'm not one to put all that much stock in these types of movements, per se...but it does get my attention, especially when there's more to the story.
We basically got a glorified high school (ok, JuCo) game here. Neither team plays great defense, but Rice is just bad (especially against the run) on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively, Rice is obviously better...but there isn't the same type of discrepancy that you see defensively between these two teams.
In any case, we know Rice will put up some points...which is also why the line came out so high. We also know that Rice will be giving up their share of points. It's not like they were able to overhaul that porous defense over the last few weeks, and suddenly learn how to stop a team from putting up over 190 yrds rushing per game. (L3 of the season, it was over 200 per game. So definitely not improving.)
Rice comes from the obviously stronger conference...but both teams will come in motivated to play this minor bowl. So that won't be an issue. But the main unknown is the health of the Owl's QB...though the backup is capable as well.

Anyways, love the over here. Rice will score, yet they won't be able to keep Troy from keeping pace. So i also took a flyer on Troy w/ the points. They'll be able to control the clock, and they may get the benefit of facing the 2nd string QB. But in any case, they will be facing a very porous defense...one that they'll be able to run on and score on with great success.

BTW...Rice has only played one under in their L10 games. So my prediction for this is a 35-33 win by Rice. I'd even be tempted to take a small flyer on the Troy ML as well...but it seems like Rice is playign games a bit with this QB injury. (He's cleared to play, but still questionable.)

In any case, it's time for a doggie to show up...i hope. But it's definitely looking good for the first over of the bowl season.
GL tomorrow/today.:drink:

I took the under(54), a small bet though. I see a sloppy game with lots of turnovers. The line just went just shot up to -5.5. Any thoughts why?

I got under 55, Of all the bowl games, I don't think this game is going to be the one that goes over..

the rice QB. he's been cleared to play, but the owls have being close-lipped about it. but the QB came out and said he's 60/40 that he's playing.

under is understandable too...i jsut see both defenses not having much success at all tonight.

whew...
was worried i'd get moosed with that over. thankfully both plays hit though.

onto saturday...
got SJST and Tulsa. still undecided on the 3rd game, but still leaning Sfla.

3 down, 29 to go...with 3 on tap for saturday.

3-1 and up roughly 3 units so far in the bowls.

Already on Tulsa (+2) and SJST (+3) from before...posted somewhere above...and adding a smaller play of the third/early game on Saturday.

Papa John Bowl, December 23
S Florida (-5.5) over E Carolina (+100) for 1.5 units

Just taking the better team in this one, especially on defense. Also of note are these two teams competition this year...and S Florida's is obviously the much more impressive of the two, considering the success some of these Big East teams had this year.

Well, BOL on Saturday. Our first multi-bowl game day of the season.
:drink:

good job on troy Yanks, looks like a good card you have played so far. Lets get USF tomorrow and GL with the rest.

6 down, 26 to go...with 1 on tap for Christmas Eve

Went 2-1 on Saturday, though i was hoping for the clean sweep. Anyways i'm at 5-2 in the bowls so far, roughly 4.5 units to the good.

Hawaii Bowl, December 24
Hawaii (-7.5) over Arizona St (-102) for 1.5 units

Not the strongest of plays, but i still like the home team...who happens to have one of the best QBs in CFB.
Watched AZ St play three times this year, and was less than impressed with two of them. They should have some success of their own offensively, but it won't be enough to keep up with Hawaii imho. Also imo, statistically the AZST defense is kinda over-rated...meaning not as good as the raw #'s may appear at first glance, relative to the pac 10 as a whole.
Anyways, me prediction is a 42-24 Hawaii win...and Arizona St will quickly get back to partying, and enjoying the Hawaiian scene...as i surely would be doing as well.

Well, i'll be back in time for the next bowl game on the 26th. Until then, have a very Merry Christmas with your families.

6-2, up about 6 units bowling so far.

Excellent win by Hawaii tonight. Fuckign capped the bitch w/in a point too...just wish i had put more on it.

Anyways, i really got no clue as to the 12/26 bowl yet. Any thoughts?
I see the line got driven down a point and a half in the last 24 hours, since i last looked. Did anything happen?

7 down, 25 to go...with 1 on tap for boxing day, whatever that is...

Pags :shake: Thx, bro. Same to you, and Merry Christmas.

ETG...thx, man. :shake: Spent quite a bit of time on this one tonight, once the kids crashed from a very long/fun day. Came to the conclusion that the fav should roll tonight.

Motor City Bowl, December 26
C Mighigan (-7.5) over Mid Tenn St (-106) for 2 units

Just taking the stronger team, imo. CMU seems to be stronger, faster, and more athletic/talented than Middle Tenn St.
I was debating before if this game was remeniscent of TCU/N Illinois, or if it would be like Troy/Rice. If anything, after really looking at all the info available, imho it's more like the TCU/NI game. That said...not having seen Midd Tenn St play this year, and jsut going by research alone...this game actually strikes me as much more similar to the CMU/Ohio game, than anything else in the bowls so far.

Mid Tenn's only real offense is running the ball. Defensively, when you throw out the serious non-conference mismatches, they're a fairly decent squad...at least in-conference.
CMU definitely has a sizable offensive advantage. Fair to decent running game...but throw in their passing attack, and this is a very good mid-level offense. Defensively, CMU has struggled at times this year. By no means were they horrendous, but they did have some down moments. Down the stretch though, they played much/much better defense...especially agaisnt the run.
So basically, CMU is facing imo a very similar (somewhat non-threatening) offense as to what they faced when playing Ohio. They held Ohio in check, and they did a very good job on run defense against Ohio.
Mid Tenn St's defense is also somewhat statstically comparable to Ohio's, where the CMU QB carved them up for over 300 yards and 3 TDs. And i expect him to do even more here, in this vitual home bowl game.

Despite the fact CMU has lost their head coach, there are jsut too many factors pointing to them blowing out Midd Tenn St. Hell, even the HC for MTST said his boys will have a size and strength disadvantage here...so they'd have to play with more heart, and be flawless. (Something to that effect, even though i'm really misqouting here.)
Anyways, it looks like CMU will be winning the trenches...even with the MTST HC playing mind games with his players. They're definitely the more talented, and even faster, team...and the team offensively capable of really takign control of the game early and quick. And if they have similar success with their run defense...as they had basically in their L3 games, including Ohio...then this thing won't be close...and could even look like the ass kicking South Carolina gave Midd Tenn St earlier this year.

Well, there's my 2 cents.
One game today, then one game tomorrow (12/27)...then we finally get back to multi-game days...and into the heart of the bowl season.
GL:drink:

8 down, 24 to go...with 1 on tap for wednesday

Renew, ETG, Believe :shake:
That was an excellent win outta CMU yesterday. Glad they came through for all of us...including jsut about the entire forum, which is beautiful.
7-2 on the bowls so far, roughly 8 units to the good. It's been awesome to get off to a good start bowling this year...but i got a couple for today that might not be too popular.

Emerald Bowl, December 27
UCLA (-3) over Florida St (-110) for 1.5 units
Florida St/UCLA over 39 (-110) for 1.5 units

This is a tough game to cap, imo. I must admit, there is a semi-homer flavor to the plays...since the Bruins have been my adopted team, ever since my alma mater (pussily) dropped their football program.
Anyways, my prediction is a 27-20 win from the Bruins.

Weather should be ok, but the field will be damp from recent rain.
We got two teams coming in from opposite directions. Bruins finished out the year very well...winning the last 3, with the Trojan upset capping it all off...and saving Dorrell's job. Florida St enters this bowl coming off a very disappointing season...one that finished fairly lackluster as well.
The Seminoles also dumped their OC, little Bowden. So i'm sure that can't sit too well w/ pops...and i'm sure their offense won't be any better off a month later in this bowl game. In fact, i expect them to be in even more disarray here. Which is why i'm able to overlook the history of these 2 teams and these 2 head coaches, especially when it comes to bowls.

Bottom line...we got two fair to below average offenses, and two very good defenses. Bruins come in very hot, the Seminoles don't. And like i said above...the equalizer for the history of these teams, for me, is the change Florida St made at OC...a reflection of their msot glaring weakness this year.
Neither team will enjoy much success on the ground, though UCLA will have a bit more luck of it. So the offenses will have to pass more than either would like. And i see both turnovers, and defensive scoring as the result of that. Which is one of the main reasons behind the over.
I also give the edge to the Bruins, when it comes to motivation. I don't buy at all that Florida St is motivated, to come out west for the first time in 8 or so years, and try to salvage their season...and remain over .500 for the year. I do buy that UCLA has the momentum the way they finished, and that they're chomping at the bit to turn their recent bowl history around...and to do so against such a big name school. This is gravy for the Bruins, becasue their season was already made in the final week. Icing on the cake...

Anyways, i'm rambling. You all know the numbers of each team, offensively and defensively. And i totally understand the logic behind an under play becasue of all that.
That's why i said it was a tough game to cap...because i'm also going on gut/feel here, and seeing some scoring outta both defenses. But don't underestimate the Bruin defense...and how they handled USC. They will come to play.

In any case, GL with whatever way you decide to go tonight. :drink:
Staring on Thursday, we'll finalyl have multiple games to play each day.

Great job last night with C Michigan. I'm with you on UCLA. I'm looking at that over as well as it seems way too low. This isn't the NFL. I'm definitely giving it consideration. Good luck tonight and the rest of the way!

the wednesday splits

Mule :shake: Hope you also played that over, bro.
Nick...thought we had it, buddy.

Well...my gut sure paid off with that over. But my heart and head let me down on the side tonight.
First off...congrats to all who were on Florida St tonight. You guys deserved the win.
That said...fucking UCLA had the game, and self-destructed. And yes, Florida St was there to capitalize on each late mistake the Bruins made. And yes, the Seminoles played their best game of the year. That's why they deserved to win. But it still doesn't help take the sting away, for me personally...when the Bruins jsut began completely self-destructing in the 3rd and 4th Qs.

Oh well...it is what it is...and it's a 1-1 wash for me tonight.
As of tonight, i'm at 8-3 in the bowls now...still roughly 8 units to the good.

Be back in a second with my thursday additions...

9 down, 23 to go...with 3 on tap for thirsty Thursday

Yeah...8-3 so far bowling, a cunt hair shy of 8 units to the good.

I got Texas A&M (+4) for tomorrow...posted somewhere above, long ago...but i also just played the other two thursday bowl games, so here they are.

Independence Bowl, December 28
Alabama (+1) over Oklahoma St (+103) for 2 units

Not too far from home for Bama...and hopefully that'll offset any negatives surrounding the head coaching change.
But taking the way better defense in this one. And at least statistically, these two offenses aren't as far apart as it would appear at first glance.

Texas Bowl, December 28
Rutgers (-8) over Kansas St (-107) for 1.5 units
Kansas St/Rutgers over 44.5 (-107) for 1.5 units

Don't really like being on such a big public play, but i jsut don't see how KSt is gonna stop the run here. And i don't buy for a minute that Rutgers won't take this bowl game seriously...considering where they came from, and considering their HC stayed onboard.

Well, time to start on the huge 12/29 card. BOL with the games today.

Back