Central Michigan vs Western Michigan Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks to bar and vk for the help with the mac. My research absolutely substantiates their pick and I like seeing 90% of tix wagered on the over.

Expect Low-Scoring Game Between Rivals Central Michigan and Western Michigan

Western Michigan (5-3) battles with rival Central Michigan (4-4) for the Victory Cannon this Wednesday at 8:00 PM ET. Visiting Central Michigan is an underdog of 6.5 or 7 points. The game total is set at 51.5.

Fans love to associate MAC games with high scores. This game warrants a contrarian approach.

Western Michigan is a run-first team. On the season, they have almost twice as many rush attempts as passes thrown. Against Central Michigan, the Broncos will lean all the more heavily on the run because their starting quarterback, Jon Wassink, is injured. In his place, Freshman Reece Goddard will make his first career start. He has thrown 3 passes in his career for 12 yards.

The Broncos' inability to achieve passing yards has critical betting significance. This season, the 'over' is 3-0 in WMU games when WMU passes for more than 210 yards. However, the 'under' is 3-1 when WMU passes for less than 210. This trend withstands the counterpoint that 'over' backers may try to make, that the 'over' is 4-2 in the last 6 games between these two teams. The 2 'unders' happened when WMU passed for less than 210. The 4 'overs' occurred when the Broncos passed for more than 210.

Jarvion Franklin and Jamauri Bogan lead the Broncos in the backfield since the previous co-starter, KeVante Bellamy, is injured. Franklin is a powerful, downhill runner who excels at running through contact. Bogan is a smaller, but more agile back.

Both backs should help WMU move the chains against a Central Michigan team that ranks 84th in allowing 4.7 yards per rush. Teams have consistently identified the rush defense as Central Michigan's main weakness: the Chippewas rank 107th in allowing 44 rush attempts per game.

Wassink picked the perfect time to get injured. Western Michigan will be able to lean on its rush attack and control time of possession against a weak Chippewas rush defense that typically struggles to get off the field.

Central Michigan, led by quarterback Shane Morris, is a pass-first team. Morris' numbers are vastly inflated. He boasts a 16:11 touchdown to interception ratio. However, 9 of those touchdowns came against Kansas and Ball State, respectively. Both teams rank in the bottom 11 in terms of opposing QB rating allowed.

New defensive coordinator Tim Daoust is enabling his Western Michigan defense to thrive with an attacking 4-3 system that forces the opposing quarterback to wait until the play has begun in order to read the defense.

The Broncos have a battle-tested secondary, which held USC's Sam Darnold to his second-worst performance on the season, in terms of QBR, and limited Michigan State's Brian Lewerke to 161 pass yards on 21 attempts.

Experience matters for pass defense. Upperclassmen cornerbacks Darius Phillips and Sam Beal continue to lead a Broncos secondary, that is returning almost its whole secondary from last year, with combined 13 passes defensed and 4 interceptions.

It would take seven overtimes, as in the Broncos' game vs Buffalo, to wear down their secondary. WMU, whose pass defense was ranked 29th last season, has otherwise consistently limited opposing quarterbacks to subpar numbers, in some cases to one of the worst games of their respective season.

The Chippewas will rely on Morris to produce for them, but the senior quarterback with little game experience will be uncomfortable and ineffective against Daoust's aggressive scheme.

The Verdict

WMU can grind out long drives with their run-first offense against CMU's poor rush defense. CMU's source of offense will be limited against Daoust's uncanny defensive style and his experienced secondary. Expect a low-scoring MAC game.

NCAAF Pick: 'Under' 51.5

Last edited:
Write-up is up. I don't pretend to be a MAC expert but I feel like I have researched this thoroughly and I think this is the play to make on the game. May the one time I agree with vk without cursing each other out lead to a winner :biglaugh:
:biggestfan:

BOL and feel free to discuss

Makes sense. WM D is good. The head scratcher for me was the Buffalo game, not the OT, but within the 4 quarters Buffalo hit alot of big passes and generally moved the ball really well. I suppose everybody gets a mulligan. That's the only way I can look at that game because otherwise the WM D has been good.

Just a lot of blown coverages in that game. A lot didn't start happening in that one until the 4th quarter. Just an off-day, where things unraveled. Maybe one of those things like an unfair pen demoralizing the defense, that happened in usc's favor vs asu at one point. Idk. It was one game. I look for consistency.

Down to 48. Im so confused I thought the public would be betting this number up since they love overs who is dropping this total so hard and should I be glad or scared?

I tried to tell you how bad that run D is. Don't doubt the MAC master

Wtf? A little class? It's not like I bet against CMU, I told friends to include WMU ML in their plays. The plan is to establish the run and control time of possession despite not having a quarterback and without Bellamy's 8 YPC. You foresaw this guy to be on pace for 600 rush yards after a quarter?

Wtf? A little class? It's not like I bet against CMU, I told friends to include WMU ML in their plays. The plan is to establish the run and control time of possession despite not having a quarterback and without Bellamy's 8 YPC. You foresaw this guy to be on pace for 600 rush yards after a quarter?
In fairness bud look at his thread and what he played in this game.

Im just fucking with you dude. Relax. Take some acid.

Back