Carson Palmer: Making Friends in Columbus

Hmmmmm let me get this straight ....

-2003 . The USC trojans don't even play in the national title game but claim to be the champion at seasons end anyway

Actually, they didn't just claim to be the national champions, THE WRITERS VOTED THEM #1 in the AP POLL. In other words, a large group of observers felt they were better than both LSU and OU. Don't forget that the Trojans lost their only game that year in a 3OT thriller up in Berkeley. OU got pounded 35-7 in the BIG-12 title game, and LSU lost at home to Florida. Many someones felt that USC was the best team that season.

2003 is one of the biggest reasons why so many people are clamoring for a playoff -- it's because *most* people around the country (including yours truly) felt that USC was BY FAR the best team in the country that year.

Actually, they didn't just claim to be the national champions, THE WRITERS VOTED THEM #1 in the AP POLL. In other words, a large group of observers felt they were better than both LSU and OU. Don't forget that the Trojans lost their only game that year in a 3OT thriller up in Berkeley. OU got pounded 35-7 in the BIG-12 title game, and LSU lost at home to Florida. Many someones felt that USC was the best team that season.

2003 is one of the biggest reasons why so many people are clamoring for a playoff -- it's because *most* people around the country (including yours truly) felt that USC was BY FAR the best team in the country that year.

Believe me, i want a playoff too. And i never said whether i thought usc was the best team in the nation that year. But they played a championship game and usc wasnt in it. There are some people who believe UTAH was the best team in the country in 2004 when usc won the championship when the utes were 12-0 and won by 26 points a game. Does that make them co-champions ? Of course Auburn also went 13-0 that season in the SEC and didn't get to play in the title game. Were they co-champions ?

Have you ever read some of the articles by these sports writers ?? Most of them couldnt tell you the starting qb on 80% of the college football teams. Their vote is meaningless. Damn , I wish we had a playoff and one that includes the champions of every FBS conference.

As far as i am concerned if usc can claim a championship in 2003 than utah and auburn can claim one in 2004.

VK,

Does that mean you consider Michigan's AP NC in 1997 illegitimate as well or were the writers smarter back then since there was no championship game?

USC won the AP NC in 2003; call it whatever you will. Historically, they will be considered back-to-back champions.

difference between 97 and 03 is the BCS. didn't exist in 97 which is why the AP still mattered. after the BCS was created, AP no longer has any influence in deciding who the real champion was.

the system itself is obviously stupid, but its still the system everyone agreed to, except sc, apparently.

z19058263.jpg

VK,

Does that mean you consider Michigan's AP NC in 1997 illegitimate as well or were the writers smarter back then since there was no championship game?

USC won the AP NC in 2003; call it whatever you will. Historically, they will be considered back-to-back champions.

Without a playoff , i almost consider all of the championships illegitimate. But in regards to 1997 and 2004 , we were presiding under two different systems.

Not while the BCS is still in tact i don't think they will....I think most barely remember they were AP champs.\\

Yeah, I guess that just depends where you live.

Have at it sportsjunky...it'll be a long year for the bruins; I'll be there for the opener though.

<!-- / message -->

i think what hurts usc this year a little bit is what helped tosu last year. The trojans have tons of young talent and their toughest games come in the first half of the year. Question will be how fast they mature. Different than ohio state last year where they had a cupcake schedule to start the year but were experienced and prepared for the tougher games in late october and november.

ohio state , at oregon st , oregon , arizona state is the tough part.

good news is they get the tough 3 of those at home.

Not while the BCS is still in tact i don't think they will....I think most barely remember they were AP champs.\\

Yeah, I guess that just depends where you live.

Have at it sportsjunky...it'll be a long year for the bruins; I'll be there for the opener though.

<!-- / message -->

they could go winless and ill be on cloud 9 cuz the dorrell era is over

and the reason its such a big deal that hes gone all dorrell had to do was achieve mediocrity for the next 20 seasons and he never would have been fired. it was truly a gift from the football gods that he is out and Neu & Chow are in.

Believe me, i want a playoff too. And i never said whether i thought usc was the best team in the nation that year. But they played a championship game and usc wasnt in it. There are some people who believe UTAH was the best team in the country in 2004 when usc won the championship when the utes were 12-0 and won by 26 points a game. Does that make them co-champions ? Of course Auburn also went 13-0 that season in the SEC and didn't get to play in the title game. Were they co-champions ?

Have you ever read some of the articles by these sports writers ?? Most of them couldnt tell you the starting qb on 80% of the college football teams. Their vote is meaningless. Damn , I wish we had a playoff and one that includes the champions of every FBS conference.

As far as i am concerned if usc can claim a championship in 2003 than utah and auburn can claim one in 2004.

The difference is that in 2003, the AP voters voted USC #1. In 2004, BOTH POLLS voted USC #1, so Utah did not get a poll.

This is not about what people can claim, it's about what the AP voters voted.

In 1990, there were split polls, and Ga Tech and Colorado both won the title. In 1997, split polls gave the titles to Nebraska and Michigan. Obviously in 2003 it was USC and LSU.

The thing that the aforementioned 6 teams have that Utah circa 2004 does not have, is a national title trophy in their athletic dept's that was given to them by virtue of gaining the AP vote.

Big difference.

and the reason its such a big deal that hes gone all dorrell had to do was achieve mediocrity for the next 20 seasons and he never would have been fired.

Very true...just look at the Donahue era; longetivity marked by mediocrity and the occasional rose bowl.

Not while the BCS is still in tact i don't think they will....I think most barely remember they were AP champs.

Jealousy is a bitch isn't it?

I think the exact opposite it true. I bet more folks remember Matt Leinart, Reggie, LenDale, Mike Williams, and Co. than remember whoever it was that beat Oklahoma. In fact I am certain that is the case. Its probably regional like horses said, but I bet a majority of the American population is more likely to remember USC than LSU if asked.

And remember, the BCS is a corrupt joke. It was the AP that wanted out of the BCS forumla, not the other way around. As far as I am concerned, the AP has more credence, but that's just me, I don't expect everyone to agree on that point. The AP gets it wrong a lot, but the BCS is a farce.

Exactly, Gar. It's funny listening to people bash on the AP poll and defend the "championship game" of a system that we all agree that is trash. I give the AP credit for realizing what a sham the BCS was destined to be and keeping their own poll independent of such a charade. Like I said, 'SC will be remembered for back to back; heck, any print media or telivision sports program acknowledges it as such...that's not gonna change.

Jealousy is a bitch isn't it?

I think the exact opposite it true. I bet more folks remember Matt Leinart, Reggie, LenDale, Mike Williams, and Co. than remember whoever it was that beat Oklahoma. In fact I am certain that is the case. Its probably regional like horses said, but I bet a majority of the American population is more likely to remember USC than LSU if asked.

And remember, the BCS is a corrupt joke. It was the AP that wanted out of the BCS forumla, not the other way around. As far as I am concerned, the AP has more credence, but that's just me, I don't expect everyone to agree on that point. The AP gets it wrong a lot, but the BCS is a farce.

I do not disagree with the quote above at all. The media love of USC AND Oklahoma that season was disgusting. Oklahoma was the greatest team ever and USC was second. We are talking all time rankings here.
And this was declared 7 weeks into the season. The reason USC gets so much love is the PAC-10 tie in to ESPN which of course is owned by ABC which carries the PAC-10 games. They hype up USC and garner interest while letting everyone know 5000 times on Thursday night that the game
will be on ABC on Saturday.

I will agree that as bad as OSU, LSU, and UT fans are about repping their teams....... at least we are true fans. Those Trojans fans are fair weather as they come. To the real Trojan fans I mean no harm but seriously the passion is not there in 90% of your base. You will never find these prideful programs with a ghostly stadium when the wins arent there.

Exactly, Gar. It's funny listening to people bash on the AP poll and defend the "championship game" of a system that we all agree that is trash. I give the AP credit for realizing what a sham the BCS was destined to be and keeping their own poll independent of such a charade. Like I said, 'SC will be remembered for back to back; heck, any WEST COAST or ESPN pwned print media or telivision sports program acknowledges it as such...that's not gonna change.

Fixed it for ya

Just as everyone knows LSU is the first and currently only team to win multiple BCS championships.

They will be hitting stride in 2010, 2011, and 2012.

When you say stride, I assume you're referring to probation?<!-- / message -->

wow :36_11_6:

my man. :shake:

Honestly thought it wasn't so much that Utah or Auburn were never allowed to play for the NC it was that the stupid #%*#) system didn't even match up them up that year. Never has there been a better time for a "and one" type game. Let the 4 undefeated play each other with the winners meeting up. Problem is the BCS is a corporation and like a majority of corporations they have a terrible time adjusting quickly.

The tOSU team that almost beat Texas in the shoe was ridiculous. That team was much better then the last two that played for the title.

And yes its regional. I and most of my friends remember that LSU team that beat OU then the USC team that beat Iowa.

OU before the loss to KSU was being looked at as one of the greatest teams of all-time. They were murdering folks.

Man that's tough for Cincy fans. On one hand, you have to hate the QB that just threw your school under the bus. On the other, I mean, he's your QB.

What do you do now, trade him?

At least he's got a point...and someone asked above, what else do people want from OSU...well, it's beyond fixing until the Big 10 gets better, because playing one top 10 team a year (in non-conference play) ain't gonna cut it and ain't gonna make people believe in your program...

Back