Carolinablue Week 7 Plays

More WMU vs Buff Notes

KALAMAZOO — From Eugene to Tallahassee, and even on the Southern California's Los Angeles campus, every college football coach in America insists the next game is the most important game. Looking ahead is treated like a federal crime; not allowed and don't even think about it.

So as Western Michigan's showdown rivalry against Central Michigan looms large in two weeks, the Broncos insist there will be no Chippewa-related thoughts that creep into their helmets as this week's preparation centers around beating the Buffalo Bulls, who are 1 1/2 point favorites.

"We do what our coaches ask of us," Broncos offensive lineman Phil Swanson said.
"If they're not looking ahead, then we're not looking ahead."
On Saturday, Western (5-1 overall, 3-0 Mid-American Conference) travels to face Buffalo (2-3, 1-1) at 3:30 p.m. at UB Stadium. Although the Broncos play in the MAC's West Division and Buffalo is in the East, all MAC games count this season toward determining division winners.
Last year, only in-division games counted.

So while the Broncos are one of three unbeaten teams in the loaded MAC West — along with 25th-ranked Ball State and CMU — coach Bill Cubit says he's quit his scoreboard-watching ways.
"When I went to bed on Saturday (after WMU's 41-20 win over Ohio), I didn't even know what half the MAC did," Cubit said.

"Before I used to be texting and on the computer to see what was going on. It was only a couple minutes but now I don't waste my time."
The WMU-CMU game is always going to be big. But for the Broncos to properly set up the Oct. 18 matchup at Kelly/Shorts Stadium in Mount Pleasant, they'll need to take care of a Buffalo team that has vastly improved in recent years.

The last time WMU played Buffalo, the Broncos won 31-21 in 2005 — Cubit's first season. The game was also the collegiate debut of WMU quarterback Tim Hiller.
Following that season, Buffalo hired Turner Gill to be its new coach. Gill, the former Nebraska star from the early 1980s, has upgraded the talent level and has the Bulls playing respectable football.

Buffalo's three losses this year are to No. 3 Missouri, Pittsburgh and a 27-25 setback to CMU two weeks ago.
"They're not even in the same hemisphere as when we played them four years ago," Cubit said of Buffalo's improvements.

"Temple and Buffalo are in unique situations in this league. They are a great academic school and are in a good recruiting area. They can sell the MAC and the other school in the state (Syracuse) is not doing real well."

Buffalo senior quarterback Drew Willy is third in the MAC with 260 passing yards per game (Hiller is first with 284). Willy is completing nearly 64 percent of his passes and has thrown 12 touchdowns with three interceptions.

Ball State vs WKU Notes

Bowling Green, KY (Sports Network) - The 25th-ranked Ball State Cardinals will try to stay undefeated when they visit the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers this Saturday in a non-conference matchup.

Ball State is ranked in the AP Top-25 for the first time in the program's 84- year history, and the team is 6-0 for the first time since 1965. All this comes in the wake of a career-ending spinal injury to star wideout Dante Love. Last weekend, the Cardinals went on the road and blanked Toledo, 31-0, to keep their perfect record intact. This tilt wraps up a stretch of four road games in a five-week span for Ball State.

The Hilltoppers are in their transition year to the FBS, and they succumbed to No. 20 Virginia Tech, 27-13, last weekend. BSU marks the second consecutive ranked opponent for the Hilltoppers, who also tangled with now second-ranked Alabama a month ago. Coach David Elson feels his players are beginning to play up to their competition. "Our guys poured their hearts out," he said after the VaTech game. "This is by far the toughest environment we have played in, and you just can't have the penalties we had against a team like Virginia Tech. "We don't believe in moral victories, and we aren't happy with a loss, but I saw some real good things out of this football team in the second half. I'm excited to get back to work this week and get back out in front of our fans (on) Saturday."

Ball State beat WKU a year ago to tie the head-to-head series at one game apiece.
Love finished last season with 100 catches for 1,398 yards and 10 touchdowns. Through four games this year, he was averaging 115 receiving yards per game and had found the end zone three times. Obviously, a player of Love's caliber is not easily replaced. One player that must step up is Darius Hill (19 receptions, 297 yards, three TDs), who finished last year with 65 catches, 926 yards and 11 TDs. Another is true freshman Briggs Orsbon (25-317-2), who has hauled in 17 passes for 188 yards over the last two games.

The Ball State offense has been highly efficient in the red zone this season, having scored on 24-of-26 trips (19 TDs, five FGs). Running back MiQuale Lewis (133.7 ypg, 12 TDs) is a threat to take it to the house whenever he touches the ball. Quarterback Nate Davis (.691, 277 ypg, 11 TDs, three INTs) has gotten plenty of time to throw, as the Cardinals have allowed just four sacks on the season.
On defense, Ball States biggest playmaker is Sean Baker, who leads the team with 44 tackles and four interceptions, including two that were returned for touchdowns. He picked off three passes against Akron, while also returning a fumble 33 yards for a score. In last week's win over Toledo, cornerback Trey Lewis recorded his ninth career interception. Head coach Brady Hoke was quick to credit his defense for pitching the shutout. "Every win is a good win," he said after the game. "The defense did a nice job of playing together with good effort. The shutout is satisfying for the defense, but every time a defense helps win a football game it is satisfying."
The defense stayed one step ahead of the Toledo offense all night long, holding the Rockets to 11 first downs and a mere 157 yards of total offense. The Cardinals permitted just 14 yards on the ground.

It was learned last week that the Hilltoppers' second-leading receiver Derrius Brooks (13 receptions, 140 yards) will miss the remainder of the season with a broken foot. Given the state of the Western Kentucky offense, it can ill- afford such losses to key players. The team managed just eight first downs against a stingy Virginia Tech defense last time out, largely because quarterback David Wolke had a rough day. He completed just 7-of-19 passes for 49 yards, one touchdown and an interception.
On the season, Wolke is completing only 52.7 percent of his tosses while averaging a mere 102 ypg. With the offense not able to stretch the field, defenses have shifted their focus to stopping the run. Despite the extra attention, Dexter Taylor managed a career-high 96 rushing yards against the Hokies.
WKU's defense put forth an inspired effort against a bigger, faster and quicker Virginia Tech offense. As a team, the Hokies were held to a modest 3.0 ypc on the ground. Against the pass, the Hilltoppers allowed only 142 yards and came away with a season-high five sacks. Darvis McBride paced the defense with a career-high 11 tackles. Though it's been a bumpy road, the Hilltoppers have been able to make some big plays from time to time. In the secondary, they've intercepted seven passes on the season. But now the key is carrying that momentum forward. And with four of their next five games in Bowling Green, now is a good opportunity to get the fans behind them.

Cb - As a an old dog player from way back, I'm seldom on the same side of things as you are. But I'm sensing a change this year as some of the more elite teams are head and shoulders above the 'just good' teams.
I had forgotten that you are under the radar, and our resident sunbelt expert. I haven't done much in the SB this year, but I'll follow you on MTSU.
Good luck and kudos on agreat season :tiphat:

Cb - As a an old dog player from way back, I'm seldom on the same side of things as you are. But I'm sensing a change this year as some of the more elite teams are head and shoulders above the 'just good' teams.
I had forgotten that you are under the radar, and our resident sunbelt expert. I haven't done much in the SB this year, but I'll follow you on MTSU.
Good luck and kudos on agreat season :tiphat:

Always good to hear from ya and let's get that profit with MTSU later today, so I can celebrate my birthday in style!

Back