Carolinablue Week 7 Plays

carolinablue

College Football Guru
Lots of volatility in the lines, and lots of space between where BM and the greek are at on a number of games, very interesting.

EMU +3 120
VANDY ML 120
TULSA -24 110
KSU -3 120
WMU +1.5 110
MTSU +1.5 110
BSU -16.5 110

All done for week 7.

Last edited:
Week 6 Results

"Dr. Chalk" strikes again as I once again prove that there is nothing inherently wrong with a card loaded with favs, as long as they are the "right favs".

10-3 on Saturday and 10-4 overall in week 6 with not one dog play in the bunch.

Road Favs = 5-2
Home Favs = 4-2
Totals = 1-0

Western = Winner
Texas = Winner
Cal = Winner
Nevada = Winner
OU = Winner
Tulsa = Winner
Tulsa v Rice over = Winner
ULL = Winner (Sunbelt Special)
Tex Tech = Winner
New Mexico = Winner
BYU = Loser
Maryland = Loser
Va Tech = Loser
Fresno = Loser

Brings the total record to date up to 36-23 (61%).

Road Favs 16-9
Home Favs 11-8
Road Dogs 8-4
Home Dogs 0-0
Totals 1-2

Pat White Update for the Cuse game

Syracuse, NY -- West Virginia quarterback Pat White, who left Saturday's 24-17 victory over Rutgers with a head injury, will likely be back in the lineup when the Mountaineers face the Syracuse University football team at noon Saturday in Morgantown.

"If everything progresses the way we think," WVU coach Bill Stewart said during a Sunday afternoon teleconference call, "he'll be in the lineup. He should be fine."
White, the two-time Big East offensive player of the year and Heisman Trophy candidate, was forced to leave Saturday's 24-17 victory over Rutgers after taking a blow to the head while being tackled late in the third quarter. He watched the Mountaineers (3-2, 1-0) hang on for the victory but did not return to the game or talk to the media afterward.

"He got dinged up a little bit and we held him out as a precaution," Stewart said. "It's kind of a wait and see thing. He'll be at practice today but we won't ask him to do anything. He should be very much fine by this weekend."
Stewart emphasized that White displayed no signs of having suffered a concussion.
"No, not to my knowledge," Stewart said. "He was just a little woozy. He does not have a concussion. He had strength and knowledge of his whereabouts, for the most part. His memory is good. He was answering questions. He wanted to get back in there, but we were not going to take a chance. He did not get sick and was allowed to go to sleep last night. I can't say 100 percent, but he was not in a concussion state yesterday or today."
White had suffered an injured thumb on his left (passing) hand in the team's previous game but showed no ill effects of the injury against Rutgers. He completed 12 of 17 passes for 137 yards and two touchdowns and ran for 59 yards on 11 carries, producing 196 yards of offense before exiting.
"He was playing very, very well," Stewart said.
White was replaced by junior Jarrett Brown, who rushed 14 times for 44 yards and a touchdown but threw only two passes, completing both for 21 yards.
"We had a lead and we didn't want him throwing the ball," Stewart said. "We didn't do as much as we should have, would have or will with him. There is more in the arsenal there."

WVU vs Syracuse Notes for this weekend

MORGANTOWN — Senior middle linebacker Reed Williams, the driving force and undisputed leader of the West Virginia University defense, will miss the rest of the season.

Williams, who missed the season’s first two games as he fought to come back from offseason surgery to both shoulders, is eligible to take a medical redshirt and can play next year, if he returns to school.

“My decision,” said WVU head coach Bill Stewart after beating Rutgers, 24-17, before 59,122 Saturday at Milan Puskar Stadium. “Reed is done. I’m not going to play anyone who can’t protect himself. If I wouldn’t play my own son, I’m not going to play Reed Williams.”

Williams has been in pain all week after having two strong games upon his return, recording 11 tackles last week against Marshall, earning a place on the Big East’s weekly honor roll. But he has had trouble raising his arms above his shoulders, and that leaves him defenseless.

Anthony Leonard, a 6-1, 240-pound sophomore from McKeesport, Pa., filled in nicely for Williams.

Leonard led the Mountaineers with nine tackles, including one for a loss.

While Williams was not available to the media after the game, kicker Pat McAfee said that Williams was “bummed out” about the decision.

Williams originally was told that the medical redshirt rule said a decision must be made four games into the season.

“After all the emotional heartache he went through, they told him about a new rule, that the decision didn’t have to be made right away, that he could have played four of the first six games,” said McAfee.

Kent vs Akron Notes from this weekend

KENT: There seemed to be as many swings of momentum and emotion as there were spokes on the Wagon Wheel trophy that went to the winner.
The University of Akron won a football game that it could easily have lost. Conversely, Kent State lost a game it could easily have won.

The Zips needed equal doses of perseverance and good luck to edge the Golden Flashes 30-27 in double overtime Saturday afternoon in a Mid-American Conference game before a crowd of 18,536 at Dix Stadium.
UA (3-3, 1-1) scored a controversial touchdown late to take the lead and saw the Golden Flashes kick a miraculous field goal in the final seconds to forge a 24-24 tie. In the overtimes, Igor Iveljic of the Zips kicked two field goals and Wadsworth High graduate Nate Reed of KSU made one, but missed a deciding 23-yarder, ending the game.

''The thing that coach talked to us about all year is dealing with adversity, the ups and downs of a game, of a season,'' Zips junior quarterback Chris Jacquemain <!-- cq -->said. ''No matter what happens, we have to keep our heads high, stay focused on our goal, keep plugging away and hope for the best.''

The Flashes (1-5, 0-2) held a 21-10 halftime lead and were still ahead 21-17 with 4:30 left. The KSU sidelines and stands were sensing victory because the defense had forced a Zips punt.
But returner Phil Garner of the Flashes fumbled <!-- itm -->it and Tyler Campbell of UA recovered at the KSU 42. Seven plays later, Jacquemain threw a 24-yard touchdown pass to Deryn Bowser at the 1:28 mark to give the Zips a 24-21 lead.

Reed, who had missed a 27-yarder with 13:32 left, kicked a tying field goal from 32 yards with no time left that was hit at the line, but carried over the crossbar by a yard.
The overtime matchup of field goals left Kent State on the losing end despite having a 413-301 edge in total yardage and a 25-15 edge in first downs.

''Look at what we did statistically. We dominated that football team. It's a fact,'' KSU coach Doug Martin said. ''Our players just can't make those crucial mistakes. You can't . . . drop a punt and you can't miss two chip-shot field goals. That's really the game right there.''

UA coach J.D. Brookhart saw his players carry the Wagon Wheel all over Dix Stadium afterward, <!-- in -->winning it for the second consecutive year and 10th in the past 12. But he also saw an uneven performance on that same field that had his team surviving as much as winning.

''I feel very fortunate to have won that football game. In the end, we were able to pull it out,'' Brookhart said. ''We didn't execute very well. We made a lot of mistakes. We put ourselves in a hole, and we had to fight our way out. I give our kids credit.''

Fans will remember this one for its drama and unpredictability. They also will remember the late touchdown pass from Jacquemain to Bowser that will be discussed and dissected well into the future.

The Zips were facing defeat with a fourth-and-11 at the Kent 24 with 90 seconds left. Jacquemain threw the ball to the back left corner of the end zone, where Bowser was guarded closely by KSU's Rico Murray.
Bowser had his back to the end line, and Murray had his back to the ball. Bowser reached around Murray and cradled the ball for a period. He then went over the end line, and the ball fell to the ground.

Just as Bowser was ready to celebrate, two officials ruled it an incomplete pass. KSU and its fans were jubilant; UA and its fans were stunned.
However, Brookhart asked for a review of the play, and the ruling was overturned.

''No doubt about it that I got my feet down and caught the ball. It popped out at the last second and I was down,'' Bowser said. ''I wasn't too happy with the call. I knew it was a catch.''

Kent State, with a mad dash of 34 yards by quarterback Julian Edelman, followed that with a drive that resulted in Reed's tying field goal.
In the first overtime, UA survived when Jacquemain completed a 22-yard pass to Bowser on third-and-23 from the Kent 38. Iveljic then connected from 32 yards to make it 27-27.

Iveljic's 25-yarder in the second overtime was the difference when Reed's kick went wide right, ending the 3-hour, 42-minute marathon.
''I gave myself a game ball for the five heart attacks I had,'' Brookhart quipped.

Jacquemain completed 21-of-39 passes for 243 yards and touchdowns to Bowser and Andre Jones.
Edelman ran 18 times for 113 yards and completed 17-of-31 passes for 157 yards and touchdowns to Justin Thompson and Shawn Bates.

Interesting tidbit on Tulsa that I didn't know

The Golden Hurricane hasn't won a road game against SMU since 1991. Since then, TU has lost six straight in Dallas against the Mustangs.

EMU vs BGSU notes from this weekend

"To be brutally honest, we didn't perform. We didn't play well," linebacker John Haneline said.

<CENTER></CENTER>And the obvious question is this: Did BG, after a nice win last week at Wyoming, consider a game against lowly EMU as a joke? Coach Gregg Brandon says no.

<CENTER></CENTER>"We talked all week about that it's a MAC game and it doesn't matter whether you're playing Eastern Michigan or Ball State," Brandon said. "There's great parity in this league."

<CENTER></CENTER>Yesterday's debacle was mostly a parody. BG was ultimately done in by untimely penalties, a bland offense, and a determined EMU team whose coach is, or at least was, destined to lose his job. Following the game, the Eagles lit a Falcon jersey on fire that belonged to their coach Jeff Genyk, a 1982 BG alum.

<CENTER></CENTER>"I have been down here twice and lost very close games the last two years," Genyk said. "It was nice to be able to spoil someone else's homecoming."

<CENTER></CENTER>EMU (2-4, 1-2) went ahead with 36 seconds left when Andy Schmitt found Tyler Jones streaking down the sideline for a 16-yard touchdown. Schmitt completed all five of his passes on the drive, despite playing with an injured shoulder. Schmitt also avoided a near sack by Diyral Briggs to run for five yards before stepping out of bounds. In all, the line on the drive was six plays for 77 yards - and the Eagles needed just 45 seconds to accomplish it.

<CENTER></CENTER>"The coverage obviously was awful," Brandon said. "[The touchdown] was a critical error at a huge time of the game. We really didn't do a good job of getting pressure on [Schmitt] all day."

<CENTER></CENTER>BG didn't record a sack and pressured Schmitt infrequently. The Eagles junior, whom BG quarterback Tyler Sheehan referred to as underrated during the preseason, finished 21-of-29 for 253 yards. Schmitt was helped out by pseudo quarterback Tyler Jones, who carved up BG for 60 yards on direct snaps.

<CENTER></CENTER>"It's mind boggling right now what's going on," Haneline said. "We have to figure it out."

<CENTER></CENTER>With a chance to send the game into overtime, Sinisa Vrvilo missed a 53-yarder far left as time expired. Corey Partridge caught passes of 10 and 15 yards on the drive, but his mistake on the kickoff was particularly damaging. He was flagged for a late hit on Kenny Lewis' return, and instead of BG starting at its 46, it started at the 31.

<CENTER></CENTER>Other ill-fated decisions were made throughout the game. Chris Bullock ran out of bounds late in the fourth quarter when BG (2-3, 0-1) wanted to exhaust the clock. Antonio Smith interfered on a punt return that was muffed by DeAnthony White. Smith scooped up the ball and returned it to the Eagles' 7, but he was flagged, and the ball returned to EMU.

<CENTER></CENTER>"We have to fix those things either with the players we're playing with or we have to replace some guys," Brandon said. "That's where we're at."

<CENTER></CENTER>Although the loss was inexcusable, BG is not in a terrible position. The East looks weak, with all seven teams having at least one league loss. But right now, the Falcons don't exactly look strong.

<CENTER></CENTER>"We can't lose anymore on the way out if we want to get where we want to be," Sheehan said.

A&M vs Okie State notes from this weekend

STILLWATER, Okla. — Oklahoma State’s high-powered offense showed up a little late Saturday night against Texas A&M.
By that time, the Cowboys’ defense and special teams already had things well in hand.
No. 21 OSU forced five first-half turnovers, turned two of them into touchdowns, and also scored on special teams. Then the offense made things really ugly in the second half on the way to a 56-28 victory over the Aggies at Boone Pickens Stadium.
"When you turn the ball over that many times ... it makes life hard, particularly when you’ve got a young [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]football[/COLOR][/COLOR] team," A&M coach Mike Sherman said. "We didn’t handle it very well."

It was an ugly first half for the Aggies (2-3, 0-1 Big 12). In addition to their three fumbles and two interceptions, they gave up a 78-yard punt return for a touchdown by Dez Bryant, had a 59-yard kickoff return by Cyrus Gray wiped out by a holding penalty while falling behind 28-7.

Bryant finished with four touchdowns, scoring on catches of 29, 23 and 21 yards.
"He’s one of the best guys I’ve covered, hands down," Aggies cornerback Danny Gorrer said. "He did everything he had to do to give his team a win tonight."
Oklahoma State, which came into the game ranked among the top five teams in the nation in rushing offense, total offense and scoring offense, was outgained 402-401. The Cowboys had just 146 yards in the first half.

Sherman said A&M played "well enough to win the game" on defense in the first half and did some good things offensively in spurts, but he was disappointed by OSU’s 28 points and 255 yards in the second half.
"When I look at that scoreboard, I have a very hard time finding any positives," he said. "We did move the ball in the second half, but it’s just hard to swallow the score of this football game."

An early defensive stand by the Aggies, keyed by [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Alton[/COLOR][/COLOR] Dixon’s goal-line tackle of tailback Kendall Hunter, was quickly forgotten three plays later. Jerrod Johnson’s pass went through the hands of tight end Jamie McCoy and was intercepted by defensive end Ugo Chinasa, who returned it 6 yards for a touchdown and a 7-0 lead.
Bryant started the blowout on OSU’s next possession, scoring twice in two minutes to push the first-quarter lead to 21-0. He had the Cowboys’ only offensive touchdown of the half on a 29-yard touchdown pass from Zac Robinson, then broke a tackle by Johnathan [COLOR=blue! important][COLOR=blue! important]Hayes[/COLOR][/COLOR] on his 78-yard punt return.

"It’s hard in the Big 12 to put yourself in a hole like that and dig yourself out," said Johnson, who completed 24 of 43 passes for 218 yards and two touchdowns but also had two interceptions and one fumble. "It’s hard to start the game from behind. They’re a good team and they’re not going to let you come back."

The Aggies had a glimmer of hope when Mike Goodson raced 80 yards untouched on a run around right end and the A&M defense held OSU on four straight possessions.
But another Johnson interception killed the momentum. This time, Johnson’s pass went through the hands of Bradley Stephens and was picked off by Patrick Lavine, who returned it 22 yards for another score.

OSU put the game away with a pair of third-quarter scores, pushing its advantage to 42-14 on Robinson’s 6-yard run. The Cowboys added two more fourth-quarter scores.
As the Aggies prepare to face Kansas State next week, Johnson said it’s critical that they find a way to eliminate the turnovers that continue to plague them. They have 11 turnovers in their three losses.

"Whatever it is, we need to get it fixed fast if we’re going to win any ballgames." he said.

Initial batch of plays for week 7
EMU +3 120
Vandy ML 120
TULSA -24 110
KSU -3 120

Trying to time WMU, Ball State, and MTSU right, but those will definitely be my final 3 unless I misread the line moves.

Last edited:
WMU is +1.5 at BM and +1 at the Greek (was -1 at the greek until a few secs ago). Trying to wait and see if it keeps moving up.

Ball State has been -16.5 at BM for a while, was stuck at -17.5 at the greek, but just moved to -16.5, so gonna see if I can guage the move (greedy I know since anything under 17 should be enough to play if I like it right).

MTSU was -1 then pk now +1 at the greek, but still pk at BM. Curious to see how this one moves. I will be on MTSU by the way.

I want to take ECU -4.5 110 as I thought this one would be 7.5 110, but something is keeping me from taking it, but can't explain why.

Final 3 adds (decided not to be greedy as all of these meet the variance criteria already)

WMU +1.5
MTSU +1.5
BSU -16.5

Note that the 1st 2 are now at +1 at BM, while BSU has -16.5 just like the greek does.

Week 7 is my birthday weekend, so looking forward to a weekend of peace and quiet as the only birthday gift I ask for every year is the gift of silence, well that and a fridge full of beer, and all my favorite foods, and....well you get the picture haha.

Let's bring home the profit in week 7 guys!

Hitting 67% on Road Dogs (8-4) and 64% on Road Favs (16-9), so let's see if the trend continues in week 7 as I have all road plays this week, with 4 road favs and 3 road dogs rounding out the card.

And yes...MTSU is the Sunbelt Special of the Week haha.

On WMU already and will tail you on Ball St and MTSU.

Tulsa -24 (-120) is giving me pause. Huge road chalk, but Tulsa has beaten everyone by at least 23 this year. Thoughts, dude?

On WMU already and will tail you on Ball St and MTSU.

Tulsa -24 (-120) is giving me pause. Huge road chalk, but Tulsa has beaten everyone by at least 23 this year. Thoughts, dude?

Hey, they don't call me Dr Chalk for nothing (who is they anyway?). I relish huge chalk plays, especially huge road chalk, so don't be afraid, come on over to the light, where chalk is king and where terms like "square" and "public" are just met with a sly grin.

If all that isn't enough for you, I haven't lost a Tulsa play all season, that should be reason enough for ya right there haha.

Considering that Tulsa is 5-0 ATS, you're probably right. Line is higher than I wanted so no real value. Would just be a riding the hot team play.

WKU Notes from Va Tech game
<SCRIPT language=javascript1.1 src="http://gannett.gcion.com/addyn/3.0/5111.1/133600/0/0/ADTECH;alias=ky-louisville.courier-journal.com/sports/other/article.htm_ArticleFlex_1;cookie=info;loc=100;target=_blank;grp=360717;misc=1223249500171"></SCRIPT>
The No. 20 Hokies rolled to a big early lead, then held off the Hilltoppers for a 27-13 victory yesterday before a sellout homecoming crowd at Lane Stadium.
"I think they're all going to be down to the fourth quarter," said coach Frank Beamer, whose team built a 27-3 lead early in the third quarter.

WKU frequently opted to go without a quarterback and instead snapped the ball directly to tailback Dexter Taylor. The Hilltoppers kicked a field goal late in the third quarter to make it 27-6, then recovered an onside kick.
"We took a lot of pride in trying to match one of the best special teams in the country," coach David Elson said. "We executed it well."

The Hilltoppers (2-4) then drove 50 yards, again without a quarterback on the field, before David Wolke came on to throw a 3-yard TD pass to Tristan Jones that made it 27-13 with 11:58 to play.

"Once we got the lead we kind of let down a little bit," said Greg Boone, who caught a 27-yard pass for the Hokies' first touchdown. "We just got a little complacent."

WKU went three-and-out on its next possession, though, and the Hokies held on for their 30th consecutive nonconference home win.

Darren Evans ran for two TDs for Tech (5-1), and Dustin Keys had field goals of 22 and 27 yards.
The Hokies' starting tailback, Kenny Lewis Jr., ruptured his Achilles' tendon in the third quarter and will be out for the season.

Wolke was just 7 of 19 for 49 yards. Dexter Taylor rushed 14 times for 99 yards, and Bobby Rainey had 54 yards on eight carries.

"Our guys poured their hearts out today. This is by far the toughest environment we have played in," Elson said. " … We don't believe in moral victories, and we aren't happy with a loss. But I saw some real good things out of this football team in the second half."

Ball State will have a week to prepare for the gimmick offense that WKU is now employing, whereas VT didn't really get much advance notice on the whole "no QB" thing. Just don't see how the Hilltoppers will be able to keep up on the scoreboard in this one, as Ball State is in the Top 25 for the first time in school history and they have said that they want to prove they belong there, so I expect them to make a statement on Saturday against an overmatched WKU squad that has a lot of heart, but has yet to play an offense like the one the Cardinals will bring into town this weekend.

Quick note on my MTSU play...

Keep in mind that while FIU is greatly improved, can anyone honestly say that they are willing to back a team that has won only 3 times in its last 29 games, with two of those wins coming against probably the worst team in football, North Texas. I am not sold yet, so I will go with MTSU in this one. Will have plenty more later in the week, but just wanted to get this thought out there while it was fresh in my mind.

MTSU interesting read about their penchant for close games

In the last seven seasons, MTSU has had 16 games decided by a single play in the last minute of the game. Six of those games have come in Coach Rick Stockstill's three seasons.

Stockstill said the experiences prepare his team for more late-game dramatics.
"I think (our close games) have been great teaching lessons," Stockstill said. "I think your team learns a lot from those games. As a coach, you talk all the time about never giving up and playing the whole 60 minutes. You just never know what's going to happen. We teach them to not look at the scoreboard and to just play and compete."

MTSU's two nail-biters this season have driven home the importance of playing until the end.
The Blue Raiders trailed 10-0 to Florida Atlantic last Tuesday before scoring two touchdowns in the final 5:22, the last game-winning score coming on a Hail Mary pass with no time remaining.

Against Kentucky in Week 3, MTSU blocked a field goal and completed a Hail Mary pass to the 1-yard line in the final 20 seconds.
Three MTSU games were decided by a single play in the final minute last season, including two losses on field goals. MTSU kicker Matt King missed a potential game-tying field goal as time expired in a loss to Western Kentucky, and Virginia's Chris Gould made a 34-yarder with eight seconds remaining to beat the Blue Raiders.
MTSU's Bradley Robinson had an 89-yard kick return with 45 seconds remaining to beat Louisiana-Monroe 43-40 in a game that featured several key plays in the waning minutes.

"Something can always happen," Stockstill said. "It looked like we were out of it at Kentucky, but then Alex (Suber) blocks the kick and we've got a chance. Had we not given great effort on that block, then we wouldn't have had a chance.
"You have to give good effort until the last play because things can happen."
And such plays have happened for and against MTSU.

In their 16 games decided by a last-minute play over the last seven seasons, the Blue Raiders have lost nine.
Stockstill has a 2-4 record in such games. There have been memorable wins and heart-wrenching losses.

Tuesday's victory over FAU and two wins over Vanderbilt rank pretty high. Giving up two late TDs in a loss to Troy in 2006 is among the biggest heart breakers, but that was only one game. The 2003 season featured five games decided in the last minute, including three overtime games and three losses.

The third-largest crowd in Floyd Stadium history attended Tuesday's win over FAU, but many left before the 32-yard game-winning touchdown pass was thrown. Past events should show MTSU fans to expect the unexpected.
In the last seven seasons, 10 plays have been made with no time remaining, with the outcome of the final play resulting in a win, loss or overtime.

"It's odd that it has come down to the last play twice (this season)," said MTSU wide receiver Eldred King, who caught the Hail Mary pass and was tackled at the 1-yard line at Kentucky.
"I think it's a blessed moment because we've had games come down to that, and you feel good about a chance like that. You never give up and never have that quit mentality. We play by the motto, 'Never give up,' and we never do. You see that in our games. We never give up on a game."

Like the picks. I would lean that way on most, if not all. Only on Tulsa right now, but too many things make me nervous on the others. However, I will probably be on Ball St also.

EMU - away from home. Army looks to be playing better.
Vandy - on the road and Nickson out. Opponent coming off a bye week
KSU - away from home.
WMU - WMU away from home. Buffalo plays better at home... I think.
MTSU - Don't know enough about them.

I don't know how you do it, with your dedication to faves, but the results cannot be disputed, year after year.

Mad respect.

Like the picks. I would lean that way on most, if not all. Only on Tulsa right now, but too many things make me nervous on the others. However, I will probably be on Ball St also.

EMU - away from home. Army looks to be playing better.
Vandy - on the road and Nickson out. Opponent coming off a bye week
KSU - away from home.
WMU - WMU away from home. Buffalo plays better at home... I think.
MTSU - Don't know enough about them.

Yeah, completely understand what you are saying as this is definitely a card that is not for the faint of heart as I could easily go 0-7 this week because the risks I am taking are many. Keep up the great work with your plays, you are doing a solid job this year.

WMU vs Ohio Recap

WESTERN MICHIGAN: The Broncos grabbed their fifth consecutive win this past weekend with a convincing, 41-20 victory over the Ohio Bobcats. The Broncos were solid defensively, limiting Ohio to 356 total yards, while forcing three turnovers. On the offensive side of the football the Broncos racked up an impressive 503 total yards, including a whopping 347 yards through the air. Tim Hiller was outstanding in the win, throwing for 347 yards and four touchdowns. Jamarko Simmons had a huge showing as well, as the wideout grabbed eight passes for 87 yards and one touchdown.

Not to be overlooked, however, was the play of running back Brandon West, who rushed for 107 yards and one score. West also contributed to the passing game, grabbing four passes for 72 yards and two scores. WMU will try to remain perfect in league play when the Broncos battle the Buffalo Bulls this upcoming weekend.

any thoughts on your heels vs ND. Like the heels, thought the line was going to be a bit lower? thanks,

CB--What are the sources for these recaps?

RJ, the sources probably just get chopped off when I drop them into the post. Thought they were showing up in the post, but obviously not, Probably just get screwed up when I try to not copy the advertisements and stuff that are usually embedded in the articles. They are all from the local paper of whatever team I am posting about via topix.net. I will make sure I highlight everything correctly from this point forward so that the source isn't left off, definitely wasn't intentional, my bad.

RJ, the sources probably just get chopped off when I drop them into the post. Thought they were showing up in the post, but obviously not, Probably just get screwed up when I try to not copy the advertisements and stuff that are usually embedded in the articles. They are all from the local paper of whatever team I am posting about via topix.net. I will make sure I highlight everything correctly from this point forward so that the source isn't left off, definitely wasn't intentional, my bad.

No big deal. Just curious as to how/where you're getting the info.

Topix.net is a great site for getting all the local paper info that I use, as all you do is type in the team you want to research ie Western Michigan Broncos Football, and it brings up all the local paper references to WMU for you. That is basically what I am doing every Saturday night through Sunday evening, so it is easy for me to go through all the online recaps and updates before the Sunday lines are released each week. Figure I would save you guys the trouble of doing all the leg work on the smaller market teams since that is where my interest lies anyway. Definitely a site to check out for anyone who is into under the radar type research like I am.

Of course now that I have told you guys all my secrets, I am gonna have to kill all of you.

Army vs Tulane recap (aka the final score doesn't always tell the whole story)

There was no Celebration in the Oaks for Tulane on Saturday. Instead, the winless Army Black Knights made it a black day for the Green Wave with a 44-13 victory at Tad Gormley Stadium.
"I want to apologize for our poor performance, " Tulane Coach Bob Toledo said. "We didn't play well enough to earn anything today."

Tulane seemingly had so much going for it -- an enthusiastic sun-drenched homecoming crowd, an opponent that hadn't won a game in a year and was a 20-point underdog, a chance for a three-game winning streak heading into the heart of the Conference USA schedule and an opportunity to exact revenge for last season's most painful defeat.

But the Green Wave (2-3), which had played well in losses to ranked foes Alabama and East Carolina and which had dominated when it counted in victories against Louisiana-Monroe and Southern Methodist, came out flat.
"We had an incredible crowd today, and that means a lot to us, " Tulane quarterback Kevin Moore said. "I'm sure everybody on our team wishes we could have put on a better performance and maybe given them a little bit more of a reason to come back. But we didn't do that."

Indeed.
Myriad mistakes on offense, defense and special teams, plus Army (1-4) taking full advantage of them, put Tulane in a 23-0 hole in the second quarter.
"Offense, defense, I think they weren't hitting us harder than we were hitting them, " junior running back Andre Anderson said. "We just made too many mistakes."
Those miscues included 10 penalties for 89 yards to Army's two for 20, and four turnovers, two returned by Army for touchdowns, to none for the Black Knights.

Still, the Green Wave fought back to make the score 23-13 and had a chance to make it a one-possession game after reaching the Army 30 early in the fourth quarter.
But, in a microcosm of the game, a pair of incompletions by Moore sandwiched around a motion penalty and a gadget play that netted 5 yards instead of the needed 15 forced a 47-yard field-goal try by Ross Thevenot, which was blocked.

Army, held to one first down in the second half to that point, got a 35-yard touchdown run by fullback Collin Mooney, the third of his four scores, that made the score 30-13.
The Black Knights scored two more touchdowns, the last one on an interception return off Joe Kemp, who relieved Moore, to make it the worst Tulane defeat since a 38-3 loss to Tulsa in 2006, the final game of the Chris Scelfo era.

"Any time you lose as convincingly as we did, it feels like everything went wrong, " Moore said.
Certainly it did early on. Witness the end of Tulane's first five possessions:

-- The block of a Thevenot punt that gave Army possession at the Green Wave 22. Mooney scored five plays later.

-- A drive to the Army 6, where Moore lost the ball while trying to throw. Stephen Anderson scooped it up at the 19 and went 81 yards for the score to put Army ahead 13-0.

-- Backup running back Albert Williams, on third-and-8 from Tulane 30, coming up a yard short and forcing a punt.
-- Andre Anderson being stopped a foot short of a first down on third-and-1 from the Tulane 24, and Toledo electing to punt. Army responded with a 2-yard touchdown run by Mooney after his 47-yard carry from midfield.

-- An all-or-nothing attempt from Moore to Jeremy Williams in the end zone on fourth-and-2 from the Army 37. Williams and the Black Knights' Mario Hill appeared to share possession coming down, but Hill managed to knock the ball away. Army drove from there for a field goal.

"It was a comedy of errors, " Moore said. "I played terrible, and Army played extremely well. A lot of times it felt like they won the line of scrimmage, but I put us in a lot of bad spots, too."

It was a rough day for Moore. Besides losing the fumble, he threw two interceptions, the last into the end zone with 6:44 left when a touchdown would have made it a 10-point game.

The defense shared in the blame.
The Knights were averaging 204.8 yards rushing, but Tulane had not allowed more than 99 in its first four games. Saturday, Army netted a season-high 291, with Mooney getting 187 on 19 carries.

"I felt like I was getting stronger as the game was going on, " Mooney said. "The offensive line really did its job."
And Tulane's defensive line didn't do its, often failing to account for Mooney while the safeties didn't do an effective job of shutting down the pitch man.
The Black Knights averaged 6.6 yards rushing, 3.0 better than their average coming in.

"Everybody has responsibilities, and we didn't always take care of them, " senior defensive tackle Julian Shives-Sams said. "You can scrimmage against the scout team, but you don't get a good picture of how fast they can execute it (the option)."
But even at 23-0, Tulane wasn't out of it.

"We got all of our yelling and screaming done on the sidelines, " senior center Michael Parenton said. "It was just 'Let's go. What are we waiting on?' We were getting in a hole that we're going to get out of. But we felt like if we stuck with out game plan and did what we wanted to do, we were going to get right back in the game."

A 2-yard touchdown run by Anderson that capped a 73-yard drive made the score 23-7 at halftime, and a 49-yard Moore-to-Jeremy Williams touchdown pass cut the deficit to 10.
The subsequent drive to the 30 had the Wave looking like it was on the verge of making it even closer.

But it was not to be,
"Maybe if we stick in there, things are a little bit different, " Moore said. "We were playing tough defense at that point, and they were giving us lots of opportunities.
"We didn't take advantage of them."

And so, instead of 3-2 and talking about bowls and maybe even conference championship opportunities, the Green Wave must regroup for next Saturday's game at Texas-El Paso, one of five road trips in the remaining seven games. It's a position Tulane's players have been in before -- a disheartening loss with ominous consequences, most of which in recent years have come true.

But Shives-Sams said, maybe not this time.
"The big things for a lot of guys on this team is that we've been in this same scenario and seen things go south, " he said. "And that is something we absolutely will not take.
"We're going to go back this week, look at film on UTEP, and there isn't going to be a downfall. We need to go uphill from this point, and I'm going to do everything in my power to make sure we do that."

Had Emu +21.5 last week and its one of my favorite plays of this week . Army as chalk versus anyone is pretty scary IMO.....:cheers:

Thanks for the report on the Tulane game. Still, the late line move combined with the outcome is awfully suspicious.

CB, any Western Mich-Buffalo thoughts?

Buffalo dominated UTEP, stated evenly with Pitt, stayed with Missouri, and lost to CMU by only two despite really getting beat up in the rushing department.

Common opponent, Temple. Buffalo and Temple both had about 100 on the ground, Buffalo had 348-285 passing edge. Western Mich won the passing edge 252-60 but lost rushing edge 136-36 to Temple.

---Don't exactly follow these teams but Buffalo is coming off of a bye, although I guess I see they are 0-7 off a bye since 2000 but Turner Gill is new.

I'm thinking Buffalo should win the rushing edge here solidily, and then I think that Buffalo's pass D is better than Temple and really not too shabby. They can hold WMU under 300 here.

I see a pretty close game, but Buffalo seems like the more well rounded powerful team here. Drew Willy will put some yards in the air as well so I don't really so too much of a pass differiental but do in the run game.

CB, any Western Mich-Buffalo thoughts?

Buffalo dominated UTEP, stated evenly with Pitt, stayed with Missouri, and lost to CMU by only two despite really getting beat up in the rushing department.

Common opponent, Temple. Buffalo and Temple both had about 100 on the ground, Buffalo had 348-285 passing edge. Western Mich won the passing edge 252-60 but lost rushing edge 136-36 to Temple.

---Don't exactly follow these teams but Buffalo is coming off of a bye, although I guess I see they are 0-7 off a bye since 2000 but Turner Gill is new.

I'm thinking Buffalo should win the rushing edge here solidily, and then I think that Buffalo's pass D is better than Temple and really not too shabby. They can hold WMU under 300 here.

I see a pretty close game, but Buffalo seems like the more well rounded powerful team here. Drew Willy will put some yards in the air as well so I don't really so too much of a pass differiental but do in the run game.

Great insight O State, appreciate your taking the time to post! Will try to pull some thoughts together later this week if I can. Thanks again.

wondered if you had any thoughts on the game tonight. always read your threads and you seem to be pretty dialed in when it comes to the sunbelt. noticed allot of love for fau on this site. not sure if that is guys trying to be contrarian or some facts i just don't get. troy appears to be playing much better football from what i have seen. don't want to make a play hoping a team shows up (fau) when they really have not all year (mostly reference to qb play).

by the way, stellar fucking work last week.

Buffalo vs WMU Notes

source: Journal Register
AMHERST — More than anything else, the Buffalo Bulls focused on getting healthy during their bye week.

UB practiced on three non-consecutive days, coach Turner Gill said Tuesday, allowing for some rest after a five-game stretch that ended 10 days ago with a 27-25 loss to defending Mid-American Conference champion Central Michigan.

Gill said the off week was “a chance to relax and get back healthy.”

Niagara Falls native James Starks totaled 191 yards and scored two touchdowns against the Chippewas, playing with a sore hip that kept him out of the previous week’s loss to Missouri. Quarterback Drew Willy and receiver Ernest Jackson were among those who sustained minor injuries at Central Michigan.

Gill also revealed that cornerback Kendric Hawkins, who has yet to play this season because of a stress fracture in his foot, will return for Saturday’s home game against Western Michigan. Hawkins, a starter the past to seasons, is listed as the backup to Domonic Cook (St. Joe’s) on the depth chart.

Meanwhile, starting defensive tackle Ronald Hilaire is doubtful to play this week, Gill said, but the condition of his injured leg is improving.

Jordan Jerrold, the Bulls’ starter at right tackle for all 12 games last season, will undergo surgery on his knee this week, ending his season. Jerrold was injured during preseason.

Derrick Brown, a redshirt freshman defensive tackle, will also undergo knee surgery, Gill said, that will probably end his season.

During their limited practice time, the Bulls worked to improve execution in the running game, tackling, forcing turnovers and covering kickoffs, Gill said.

With a 2-3 record that belies how competitive UB was against the three most formidable opponents on its schedule, Gill also took time to point out the positive aspects of his team’s play so far.

“Sometimes the Ws and Ls don’t speak to how much we’ve improved every week,” he said.

<CENTER>•••</CENTER>

Ball State line has dropped to 15.5, so I completely misjudged the way I thought that one would move, as I figured it would be 17.5 by kickoff. Again, it happens, so just have to focus on guessing "right" more often than "wrong" over the long haul.

Back