Carolinablue Week 5 Plays

Here are the remaining plays on the short list that I will be looking over between now and Saturday, with the hope that the lines move in my favor...

Line moves I am hoping for are also noted, so you can have an idea of what I consider to be a value play on each, as right now all of these are close to variance but not quite over the hump.

PSU if 13 or less
Minny if 18.5 or more
WVU if 13 or less
Flor if 21 or less
EMU if 8.5 or more
Buff if 8.5 or more
UCF if 4 or less
Troy if 18.5 or more
Okla if 16.5 or less (not sure how I left them off)

If I add any plays, they will only come from the above list.

Also kinda like LSU, but that thing doesn't seem to want to budge off 24. Love playing them in prime time as they always seem to put on a show when the spotlight is on em. Not sure how MSU scores more than 7 or 10 at the most, so basically need LSU to put up 35 to get the cover. Thoughts?

Maryland +11 is beginning to interest me a bit, as the other lines have all moved out of no play territory pretty much.

MARYLAND +11 110 (the greek)

This one will be 10 pretty soon IMO, as it just dropped at BM, and is juiced up at Pinny already. If you want 11, should probably grab it while you can at the greek, because I am not seeing it at that number anywhere else really.

CLEMSON NOTES

CLEMSON — For the last two weeks, the Clemson coaching staff has done all it could do to in an attempt to make their football team tougher. They have drilled them in practice, they have called them out publicly and they have questioned their mentality.

“We have to try and please the coaches,” Clemson safety Michael Hamlin said Monday. “If they want to do the little extra things to make us hit harder and show how physical we are, then that’s what we have to do.”
The best tactic of the week came from Clemson defensive coordinator Vic Koenning just hours before No. 20 Clemson took on S.C. State in Death Valley. Armed with a roll of tissue paper in his hand, Koenning walked into the meeting room and instantly got his team’s attention.

“I think it got a lot of people’s attention,” Hamlin said. “Coach Vic is the kind of guy who can tell you a story about something, I guess.
“He used the tissue as a way of saying how soft we are.”
Koenning said the tissue paper was a gift given to him by someone on his way to the meeting in a response to the lack of toughness the Clemson defense had displayed in the first three weeks of the season.
“I think it kind of got to everybody,” Hamlin said.
It obviously did.

The Tigers used the motivation to post their first shutout in two years, while holding S.C. State to 152 total yards. The Bulldogs ended the game with minus-10 yards rushing, while the defense forced four turnovers, their first recovered fumble of the season and three sacks.

“We are bunch of guys that have stepped up and have accepted the challenge,” Hamlin said. “We got challenged the last couple of weeks about our toughness and I feel like we have responded well.”
The defense hasn’t allowed a touchdown in eight straight quarters, while N.C. State and S.C. State have combined for just 440 yards the last two weeks.

“That was pretty big for us. I think the defense as a whole is getting a whole lot better as a unit,” Hamlin said about the defense’s confidence level. “Everybody is starting to eliminate their missed assignments and everybody is getting a full understanding on what is going on.”

Clemson (3-1, 1-0 ACC) will be challenged even more this week as it takes on a Maryland team this Saturday in Death Valley that is riding high after back-to-back wins, including a victory over then No. 23 California two weeks ago.

“I’m expecting them to come in and give it all they got,” Hamlin said. “I know every time we play them they give us their ‘A’ game.
“I feel like there is going to be a lot of emotion flying around on Saturday morning.”
The Terrapins (3-1) enter their first ACC game with a lot of confidence on the offensive side of the ball.
“They are probably going to try and pound us with the running game and stuff like that,” Hamlin said.

Maryland knows playing in Death Valley will be tough, but it has to feel like moving the ball will not be a problem after scoring six touchdowns in their 51-24 victory over Eastern Michigan, while rushing for 231 yards.
“We were very consistent,” Maryland quarterback Chris Turner told the Associated Press after throwing for 212 yards and two touchdowns.
The 51 points were the most points a Terrapin team has put up since it scored 54 points against Duke in 2004.

“I know last year Coach (Tommy) Bowden stressed what type of guy (Maryland coach Ralph Friedgen) is. How he is hardnosed and will try and pound us,” Hamlin said. “I know when they watch film and they watch the Alabama game, they will probably feel like they have the running game to do that.

“I’m pretty sure Coach Vic will put in a package to basically shut it down.”
Or he will just bring in another roll of tissue paper.
“Everybody kind of smiled about it at first, but when Coach Vic got to talking you could see how serious they all got. I don’t think no one liked it,” Hamlin said.

Extra points: Clemson center Thomas Austin said the asthma issue he suffered in the first half Saturday has been resolved. He said he it was brought on through his allergies and that he is taking medication and is a go to play this Saturday…

Austin, however, said things don’t look so good for left guard David Smith, who sprained his ankle in the first half against S.C. State. Austin says he will be surprised if Smith is able to go this week and says he could be out for at least a couple of weeks.

Jamarcus Grant and Bobby Hutchinson will likely rotate if Smith can’t go. There is also a chance tackle Jamal Medlin could move inside to help out with depth…

Clemson running back James Davis threw out his support for starting quarterback Cullen Harper in wake of the recent scrutiny fans and media are throwing his quarterback’s way. “You read in the media where a lot of people are stressing and they want Willy Korn to play, but look what Cullen did last year. He has done a great job…

Right now, I don’t see like Willy Korn being real close to him as far a time management… I don’t know. I’ve never really been in practice with Willy Korn because he is mostly second team so every time I’m in there with Cullen. I really don’t get to see too much of him except on seven-on-seven and they both look pretty good,” Davis said

MARYLAND NOTES

COLLEGE PARK, Md. -- All aspects of Maryland's offense are clicking with uncanny efficiency, and the timing really couldn't be better.The Terrapins concluded the non-league portion of its schedule Saturday with their highest-scoring performance in four years, a 51-24 rout of Eastern Michigan.

Wide receiver Darrius Heyward-Bey caught a 32-yard touchdown pass and ran twice for 81 yards, Morgan Green ran for two touchdowns and Chris Turner threw for 212 yards and two TDs. The Terrapins (3-1) scored on nine of their 13 possessions, and the 51 points was their highest total since a 55-21 rout of Duke on Sept. 25, 2004.

"I thought offensively we played well. We're improving," coach Ralph Friedgen said. "We were able to score a lot of points both running and throwing."

After managing two touchdowns in games against Delaware and Middle Tennessee State, Maryland broke through with 35 points last week against California. The Terrapins were even more efficient against the Eagles, and can only hope to keep it up next week in the Atlantic Coast Conference opener at Clemson.

"This is an important part of the season and we need to gain momentum, which I think we are," Friedgen said. "This is a very big stretch for us."
Kyle McMahon completed 25 of 37 passes for 278 yards and two touchdowns for the Eagles (1-3), who finished with 453 yards and 25 first downs. But it wasn't enough to offset a defense that forced only one punt and yielded 486 yards.

"I was surprised we were able to move the ball the way we did," coach Jeff Genyk said. "I think our offensive line did a great job blocking. I thought Kyle made a lot of plays in the passing game."

Said McMahon: "We executed our base plays pretty well, but there were times we could have executed better. We just needed to take it to the next level."

Eastern Michigan, which had lost its previous three games against Maryland by a combined 132-19 score, trailed by only 37-24 with eight minutes left.

"The bottom line is that when you come in as a Mid-American Conference team, you want to keep it a game in the fourth quarter, exactly like we did," Genyk said.

But Heyward-Bey lateraled to Danny Oquendo, who threw a 43-yard TD pass to Isaiah Williams for a 44-24 lead. The Eagles then punted, and Maryland backup quarterback Josh Portis accounted for all 80 yards in a drive that concluded the scoring.

"Josh Portis came in and gave us a big lift in the end," Friedgen said.
Heyward-Bey had runs of 35 and 46 yards, each of which set up a touchdown. He finished as Maryland's second-leading rusher behind Portis (98 yards). Despite playing without injured Da'Rel Scott, who is averaging 135.7 yards on the ground, the Terrapins finished with 231 yards rushing.
Turner kept Maryland's offense running smoothly by completing 15 of 23 passes.

"We just kind of take the mentality that we want to score 50 points," he said. "I just have to manage the game. When I do that, good things tend to happen."
The only problem with Maryland's offense was that it put up points too quickly to give its overworked defense a chance to rest.

"To be honest with you, as a head coach, I was happy with the scoring," Friedgen said. "I never thought I'd say this, but, I almost wish (we) would have taken more time to score, the way we were playing."

The Terps put together their best offensive performance in years despite playing without running back Da'Rel Scott, who was sidelined by a shoulder injury. Scott, who ranks fifth in the Football Bowl Subdivision with 135.7 rushing yards per game, could return against Clemson.

Maryland, which was 3-5 in conference play in 2007, has won two of its last three road games against Clemson, including a 13-12 victory over the 19th-ranked Tigers in 2006

Does anybody understand this maryland line?? I don't get it, I think Maryland can win straight up. Terps a team that start off slow and once they turn the light on are very good and they are up to speed now. Friedgens most talented team IMO. What the hell has Clemson done this year??

---UTEP, one of two teams not to cover yet along with Houston. Someone started a thread prior to season that you could make money just betting all teams that haven't covered for the first 5 weeks because last year only 2 or 3 got through 4 weeks not covering and I don't know if any did after 5.

THE NEWS KEEPS GETTING WORSE FOR THE CLEMSON OL

The Tigers will likely be without the starting left side of its offensive line for Saturday’s noon game against Maryland.

Redshirt freshman guard David Smith is likely out 2-3 weeks with a high left ankle sprain, while sophomore left tackle Chris Hairston is not expected to make his return from a scooter accident.

Hairston was limited during Monday’s practice, but Brad Scott was skeptical about his availability based on his lack of mobility.

Junior Jamarcus Grant was shifted back inside from backup left tackle and will share time at Smith’s left guard spot with senior Bobby Hutchinson. Grant started the Alabama game but was benched for his poor showing, while Hutchinson was pulled off the sideline from his student coach role after that game in order to replenish the unit’s depth.

“This is about the third lineup in three weeks, isn’t it?” line coach Brad Scott said.

Clemson is already without junior right guard Barry Humphries, who is recovering from knee surgery. Scott said it remains a 50-50 chance whether Humphries will return this season.

Does anybody understand this maryland line?? I don't get it, I think Maryland can win straight up. Terps a team that start off slow and once they turn the light on are very good and they are up to speed now. Friedgens most talented team IMO. What the hell has Clemson done this year??

---UTEP, one of two teams not to cover yet along with Houston. Someone started a thread prior to season that you could make money just betting all teams that haven't covered for the first 5 weeks because last year only 2 or 3 got through 4 weeks not covering and I don't know if any did after 5.

The big question mark is the Maryland defense, as Clemson might be able to put up 40+ in this one against that secondary, especially if their patchwork OL can hold up against the Terp defense. I am banking on the fact that Maryland will be able to put up some points to keep this within 2 scores, as I think they have the type of running game that can give the Tigers fits. As long as they get consistent QB play and don't make any mistakes to give Clemson a short field, it should be a good back and forth old fashioned slugfest that should come down to the last possession.

This could be huge for the Maryland defense

Maryland may get back some key guys from injury Saturday -- and just in time.

Coach Ralph Friedgen said today that defensive backs Terrell Skinner and Nolan Carroll could return against Clemson. So might defensive lineman Travis Ivey.

Friedgen has been playing with a depleted defense that has given up huge passing yards the past two games.

In the Cal game, coaches blamed the lapses mostly on players getting tired in the second half and cramping in the heat.
Against Eastern Michigan, Friedgen said linebackers were victimized by medium-range throws.

The improving injury situation should help (although there were new injuries Saturday to defensive players Adrian Moten and Dominique Herald).

But will the returnees be enough to fix what ails the defense? Lots of pressure from the defensive line would certainly help reduce the secondary’s burden on Saturday.

And Da'Rel Scott's return at running back could help Maryland's time of possession, keeping the defense off the field.

For all you numbers guys out there....

L3 in Death Valley
Maryland 13-12
Clemson 10-7
Maryland 30-12

Overall, Maryland has covered the spread in 6 of the last 8 vs Clemson

Clemson won 30-17 last season in College Park, but the three previous meetings were decided by a combined eight points. The Tigers triumphed 10-7 in 2004 and 28-24 in 2005 before Maryland's one-point victory in 2006.

Maryland is 12-16 vs. Clemson in games played in Death Valley, but has wins in two of its last three trips.

The Terps are 4-3 against the Tigers under Ralph Friedgen, including a 13-12 win in 2006 in Clemson. S.C. Prior to Friedgen's arrival, Clemson had taken eight straight and 13 of 14 in the series.

Wells upgraded to probable against Minny

Ohio State football coach Jim Tressel said this afternoon that star running back Chris "Beanie" Wells is poised for a comeback, what with the Big Ten opener vs. Minnesota looming Saturday.

"I'm calling him probable," Tressel said during his weekly media luncheon.
Wells has been missing from action since early in the third quarter of the season-opening win over Youngstown State, when he went down in agony with a right foot injury. It was said to be a jammed forefoot.

His status has been a weekly soap opera since. It crescendoed leading up to the Sept.13 game at top-ranked Southern California, when it seemed for a few days Wells might play. Tressel ruled him out the day before what turned out to be a 35-3 loss.

Wells ran well in practice yesterday with no complaints about his foot."He says he feels wonderful," Tressel said.

However, a complication continues to be Wells' adaptation to a more substantial shoe on his right foot, the coach said. It's a stiffer shoe designed both to protect the injured area and prevent sudden extreme flexing of the front part of his foot.

Wells was considered in preseason to be one of the leading candidates for the Heisman Trophy after a school-record 1,609-yard sophomore season. So if he does return?
"I think it adds to our arsenal," Tressel said. "He's a good back. He can do some things."

Wells would be in a backfield where multi-talented freshman quarterback Terrelle Pryor is now the starter and sixth-year senior Todd Boeckman, who helped the team to the national title game a year ago, is the backup. That pecking order did not change after review of Pryor's first start last week when he threw an OSU freshman-record four touchdown passes in the 28-10 win over Troy.

Or as Tressel put it about the quarterback situation, barring any unexpected developments in the next three practices, "Terrelle would start ... and we'll go with the flow."

From the "I have way too much time on my hands file"...

Here is a breakdown of my records when either side of a play involves one team from the conference listed below. I am a numbers geek, so I always find stuff like this interesting.

SunBelt 6-1 (4-0 in games involving Troy or MTSU)
CUSA 5-1 (4-0 in games involving Rice or Tulsa)
Big 10 6-2 (2-0 in games involving Iowa)
Big 12 3-1 (nothing stands out)
MAC 5-3 (nothing stands out)
Pac 10 4-4 (nothing stands out)
Big East 2-2 (nothing stands out)
SEC 2-2 (nothing stands out)
MWC 2-2 (nothing stands out)
WAC 1-2 (nothing stands out)
ACC 1-3 (nothing stands out)

Doesn't really say a whole lot, except that I do much better with the smaller conferences like SunBelt and CUSA obviously, but I don't do as poorly with games involving the big guys like I thought I did.

What this also tells me is that my strongest plays will be those that involve some combination of the following: Sunbelt, CUSA, B10, MAC, and B12.

This week so far, I have MAC vs MAC; MAC vs MWC; MAC vs SB; and ACC vs ACC (uh oh). Will be interesting to see how things play out in the weeks ahead.

Last edited:
Appreciate all of the work you put into this thread each week CB - GL this week.

With you on BG and WMU, but we'll likely be opposite on FIU/Toledo, so health on that one.

Maryland is probably a good pick as well, as they usually play well in these situations.

Keep up the good work.

KENTUCKY NOTES - Injuries plus potential lookahead = ???

LEXINGTON - Kentucky coach Rich Brooks has mixed emotions about Saturday's game against the Western Kentucky University Hilltoppers here at Commonwealth Stadium.
Asked on Monday if he had any reservations about scheduling an in-state team like Western that has nothing to lose and so much to gain, Brooks replied: "I did and I didn't. Certainly they have really helped us out. They get a really good payday for doing it, I believe. When Temple and Akron bailed on us at a late date, we had to find somebody to get in here and give us a home game, so under those circumstances, I'm very pleased to be playing them."

Kentucky was originally penciled in to play at Temple. The Owls backed out and then Kentucky turned to Akron only to see that fall through, leaving the Wildcats temporarily with only 11 games and three open dates until Western Kentucky agreed to come to Lexington.

Kentucky comes into Saturday's 7 p.m. game at 3-0, while the Hilltoppers are 2-2. Western has lost to Indiana 31-13 and Alabama 41-7, and beaten Eastern Kentucky 37-13 and Murray State 50-9.
The Hilltoppers are coming off a high, beating Murray State last Saturday in front of a full house at their newly re-furbished stadium in Bowling Green. Kentucky had a much-needed bye week after a very sluggish 20-14 win over Middle Tennessee.

With a trip to Tuscaloosa, Ala., and a date with the Alabama Crimson Tide looming in their SEC opener on Oct. 4, the obvious question for UK is the temptation to look past a Western team that the Wildcats should beat.
"Us barely escaping that game against Middle Tennessee with the Hail Mary pass at the end (by MTSU), we are not in any way going to overlook Western," said Kentucky senior defensive end Ventrell Jenkins. "We've got Alabama in two weeks, but our focus is on Western. We're not overlooking anybody anymore. Coach Brooks has been around this game a lot of years and he knows when a team is not doing good and he knows when a team has gotten a little complacent, and that's how I feel we took Middle Tennessee. We relaxed. We thought we had arrived. My thoughts now are on Western's offense."

"We ARE 3-0, but after that last game against Middle Tennessee, guys on the team don't really accept that as a win," added senior linebacker Braxton Kelley. "We feel like we have to do a lot better than that before we can call ourselves a quality team, because we're going to face a lot better opponents and we have to get a whole lot better in the SEC."
Indeed. The SEC this year may be the best from top to bottom that it's ever been. Even Vanderbilt moved into the Top 25 this week. Florida, Georgia, LSU and even Alabama could be national title contenders.
That means that this season, more than ever, Kentucky cannot afford to lose a non-conference game.

Following the Alabama game, the Wildcats host South Carolina and Arkansas back-to-back in two pivotal games, then play at Florida, at Mississippi State, host Georgia and Vanderbilt and close at Tennessee. The best chances for a UK victory in that murderers' row figure to be Arkansas and Mississippi State.

"This game is obviously critically important to us," Brooks said of the Western game. "We're going to play a team that runs a very similar offense to what we saw against Middle Tennessee. It's an in-state game against a team that's trying to make a statement moving up from Division 1-AA to Division I. They have played some good football this year and obviously have a great tradition.

"This is an opportunity for them to come in and make a major statement for their program, and we need to make sure that it's just a statement that they're playing here for the very first time and that would be the end of it," Brooks added. "So let's hope we can take care of business this week because it's a game where we need to continue to get our offense untracked and we need now " without a couple of key performers on defense " to show we can handle a couple of (personnel) losses if in fact they don't play."

Brooks is referring to junior linebacker Micah Johnson and sophomore defensive tackle Ricky Lumpkin, who suffered ankle sprains in the Middle Tennessee game and are listed as "doubtful" for Saturday.
Freshman quarterback/wide receiver Randall Cobb also suffered a high ankle sprain against Middle and is expected to be out at least three more weeks.

Brooks ripped his team the week of the Middle Tennessee game for poor practice habits. He said Monday that he's seen a lot of improvement at practice in the aftermath of that game. Brooks gave his players two days off, Friday and Saturday, and said that appears to have also helped.
"Our tempo in practice has been much better," Brooks said. "We obviously need to get better and narrow down some of the rotation at (wide) receiver, which I think we've done, and we'll see how that pays dividends, if it does, this week.

"Defensively and in the kicking game, we need to continue to clean up mistakes we have been making," he added. "We just needed some fundamental work if you will, and I think this past week has been a good opportunity to get it. It was amazing after having Friday and Saturday off how fresh their legs looked yesterday. So I think that was probably a good break for us."

Junior place kicker Lones Seiber was just 2-of-6 on field goals against Middle Tennessee. Brooks re-opened the place kicking job after that game and says the job remains a tossup between Seiber and redshirt freshman Ryan Tydlacka.

And Brooks said the wide receiver position is still not entirely settled. Senior Dicky Lyons Jr., sophomore Kyrus Lanxter and freshman Matt Roark and Eugene McCaskill appear to be four names near the top of the depth chart at the receiver spot.

But don't go to print with anything etched in stone at the receiver spot, Brooks said on Monday.
"It's a day to day fluctuation," Brooks said. "The thing I like about the people that have moved up is they are competing and they are trying to do the right thing and they are working their fannies off. But, we are continuing to look at and evaluate that position."
Brooks said he hopes his players learned some lessons out of the close call against Middle Tennessee.
"They are practicing better, but I would not consider the lesson learned until they continue to do that and continue to improve in games and in practice," Brooks said. "I'm encouraged because sometimes they have to learn the hard way. We're fortunate we didn't learn that lesson after LOSING a game that we should have won.
"Even though our team was pretty good about things like that a year ago and you would think it would carry over," Brooks added. "But each team has a new hierarchy and a new mix ... new players every year coming into the program. Do they adapt? Do they do it the same way all the time? No, they don't.
"Sometimes it's like trying to pound sand into a rat hole. It's hard."

I also lean WKU here (and to the over, for that matter). This Kentucky just doesn't seem built for blowing teams out, and their kicking woes certainly don't help matters either.

Could easily see a 28-17 type game here.

NC STATE INJURY WOES CONTINUE

Expressing unabashed excitement about their upset victory last weekend lasted only so long for members of the North Carolina State football team.
The Wolfpack is dealing with the grim reality that it will proceed this week without its most productive defender and its starting quarterback.

Injuries have sacked linebacker Nate Irving and quarterback Russell Wilson, with Wilson's absence from the depth chart the most unexpected.
Both will be out indefinitely, coach Tom O'Brien said. He wouldn't discuss the nature of Wilson's injury.

"I don't have to discuss the injury until Thursday so I'm going to say anything," O'Brien said, referring to the time when the team submits its updated injury report based on new Atlantic Coast Conference guidelines this year.

So that shocker in overtime against previously undefeated East Carolina is met with another challenge for N.C. State (2-2). No. 13 South Florida (4-0) visits Saturday night.

Harrison Beck, who was a starter at times last year but began this season as a third-stringer, will be the starting quarterback.
"We certainly don't want to be in our fifth game of the year with our third different starting quarterback, but that's where we are," O'Brien said. "I don't think it's unusual when a quarterback gets hurt. Certainly all positions you need backups and they need to be ready to play."

The defense might be hit harder. Irving, a redshirt sophomore, was out for the second half of the East Carolina game with a leg injury. He had an interception in each of the team's first three games and he led the Wolfpack with nearly 10 tackles per game and was fourth in the ACC in tackles for losses.

Dwayne Maddox, a true freshman from Shelby, will move into the starting role.
"It's going to be hard to replace him," linebacker Ray Michel said of Irving. "It's going to be a little drought without him being there. ... We believe that Dwayne Maddox can complete all the plays. When he came in there, he was playing like Nate was playing."

Maddox enrolled in January at N.C. State.
"It's a good thing he was here during spring practice, so he has a little bit of a head-start," O'Brien said. "He played against South Carolina, he played at Clemson. All those things help, but he's certainly not Nate Irving."

The linebacker positions have the potential to be fragile. Michel's backup is Sterling Lucas, a true freshman from Orangeburg, S.C.
Despite the gloom from the latest injuries, the Wolfpack reported a better mood at the start of the week.

"Everybody is more enthusiastic and everybody is determined to get more wins," receiver Jarvis Williams said. "It's a challenge and we look forward to playing bigger and better teams."

O'Brien said eight key players were unavailable because of injuries against East Carolina.
"We've been dealing with it the whole year," he said. "It all puts it in perspective what a great victory it was."'

MORE STATE INJURY NEWS

Coach Tom O'Brien has been telling his players that N.C. State's injury problems have to end sometime.

"Maybe they're going to stop believing me," he said grimly Monday after announcing two more crippling injuries.
Starting quarterback Russell Wilson and leading tackler Nate Irving are out for Saturday's game against 13th-ranked South Florida. Irving injured his right lower leg during last week's 30-24 overtime defeat of East Carolina and missed most of the second half.

O'Brien refused to divulge Wilson's injury or the length of time either player is expected to miss. The coach said both players are out indefinitely.
Asked if Wilson was out because of after-effects from the concussion he suffered Aug. 28 at South Carolina, O'Brien wouldn't comment.

On Mondays, the only requirement for coaches under the new ACC injury policy O'Brien endorsed is to reveal which players have had surgery or are out for the season.
"I don't have to discuss the injury until Thursday," O'Brien said. "So I'm not going to say anything."

Wilson returned from a Grade 3 concussion (the most serious kind) to start at quarterback 16 days later at Clemson. A redshirt freshman, Wilson had the best game of his career against East Carolina, completing 21 of 31 passes for 210 yards and three touchdowns.
During interviews after the game, Wilson appeared fine. As he walked into the Murphy Center football complex on Monday afternoon, there was nothing obviously wrong with him.

N.C. State does not allow players to speak with reporters on Mondays.
Junior Harrison Beck will replace Wilson as the starter. Senior Daniel Evans, who will back up Beck, is the only other available quarterback on the roster.

O'Brien has opted to redshirt freshman Mike Glennon.
Beck started four games last season and came off the bench to pass for 246 yards and spark N.C. State in a win over William & Mary on Sept. 6. But against East Carolina, he threw an interception that Van Eskridge returned for a touchdown and lost a fumble with the Wolfpack in scoring position late in the second quarter.

In 10 career games, Beck has four touchdown passes and 12 interceptions. All four of his touchdown passes came against non-BCS conference foe Central Florida and FCS team William & Mary.
"He can wing it around," O'Brien said. "We're just going to have to tell him that we're wearing the red jerseys on Saturday night, and we'll be in good shape."

Dwayne Maddox, a freshman who participated in spring practice, will replace Irving at weakside linebacker. Irving has been N.C. State's best player throughout the season, posting team highs of 34 tackles, including six for losses, and three interceptions.

O'Brien said Maddox did some nice things in Irving's place in the second half but also made mistakes that N.C. State needs to correct.
In terms of personnel, N.C. State already was parched before Monday. Top wide receiver Donald Bowens (lower back stress fractures), running back Toney Baker (knee), backup tight end Matt Kushner (knee) and safety Javon Walker (knee) are gone for the season because of injuries.
Defensive tackle Alan-Michael Cash (knee), tight end Anthony Hill (strained chest muscle) and safety Clem Johnson (broken jaw) are out indefinitely.
Running back Jamelle Eugene missed three games with an ankle injury but returned against ECU.
"You've got nine or 10 starters that aren't playing on this football team," O'Brien said, "and it's consistently been this way. When you look at the schedule we've played, it's amazing that we've played the way we have."

USF INJURY WOES

No. 13 USF began preparations for Saturday's game at N.C. State with more than half its defensive starters held out with lingering soreness and injuries.

Only one -- linebacker Brouce Mompremier, who is out indefinitely as he recovers from a neck injury -- is definitely out for Saturday, and USF coach Jim Leavitt said he'll know Wednesday about the rest: defensive end George Selvie, defensive tackles Terrell McClain and Aaron Harris, cornerback Tyller Roberts and safety Carlton Williams.

"We usually wait until about Wednesday's practice," Leavitt said. "If they're really hobbling Wednesday ... then probably normally if they don't practice Wednesday, 80 percent they don't (play). We're going to prepare everybody else as if these guys aren't playing, and then we'll see."​

LATEST ON USF INJURIES

Selvie, McClain won't start because of injuries

Starting defensive linemen George Selvie and Terrell McClain, still slowed by ankle injuries suffered in Saturday's win against FIU, won't be in the starting lineup this week at N.C. State, coach Jim Leavitt said. Having established that, both could see significant action.
Leavitt said he's optimistic both might play, and three other injured starters -- defensive tackle Aaron Harris, cornerback Tyller Roberts and safety Carlton Williams -- have shown enough progress they could start against the Wolfpack.
"(McClain and Selvie) did some things, but not a lot," Leavitt said. "We're going to take them both, but we're getting the other guys ready. Is there a chance they might play? You know, maybe. Probably a long shot. ... Selvie's not going to start no matter what. I'm not going to allow it, just because he hasn't practiced. These other guys have taken all the reps. That doesn't mean George won't play a lot of football, but we're going to start guys who have practiced and worked hard."
Leavitt said sophomore Craig Marshall will start in Selvie's place, and he hasn't decided who will start for McClain. Sophomore Sampson Genus, who missed last week's game with an ankle injury, is one option, as are untested reserves such as redshirt freshman Keith McCaskill.
"Marshall I've been very happy with," Leavitt said. "I really have been. He can play either side. He's about 6-5, 260, a big end, only a sophomore. I've been real happy with (redshirt freshman Patrick Hampton) this week."
Again, not starting might be little more than a gesture.
"Will they go in the second play? I don't know," Leavitt said.
Harris and Roberts returned to practice Tuesday, though Williams, who suffered a hip pointer in Saturday's game, "has a ways to go," Leavitt said, leaving the door open for him to make his team-high 39th career start.
-- Sophomore David Bedford, a highly touted junior college transfer who has played sparingly in the first four games, has moved from defensive end to "three-technique" defensive tackle, where he was lined up with the second team at Wednesday's practice.
-- Offensive guard Zach Hermann, still on crutches after undergoing surgery two weeks ago for a broken foot, won't be in position to make a return until USF's Oct. 18 game against Syracuse at the earliest, Leavitt said. At the time of the injury, offensive line coach Mike Simmonds had said he thought he could return for next week's game against Pittsburgh

If USF is at full strength, I would lay the 9, but all the mystery around their injuries makes me a little hesitant as they are really banged up on the defensive side of the ball, and I am not sure I want to have to count on them winning by DD to win the play. I think Grothe has the ability to light State up in this one, but if State hangs around and keeps the crowd in in, this one could get interesting, as strange things seem to happen in these night games where one team is overmatched, at least on paper.

Considering some of the following ML plays at a fraction of a unit each (most likely 1/3 unit risked, but not sure yet if I will play any or not). From a risk vs reward standpoint, which do you guys think would be worth a look vs those that would just be throwing money away?
Only looking at +200 and over by the way.

Idaho +400
Colorado +200
Kent +700
Maryland +340
Michigan +200
Alabama +240
Houston +375
Akron +350
EMU +200
Indiana +265

alright my two cents .....

the ones that look promising to me ....

colorado -- huge coaching edge , huge qb edge , anemic offense for favorite.

kent +700 -- mac favorite , Love injury not only hurts offense but might be a huge distraction for kids , line is way too high.

maryland -- Quality team has already shown ability to beat quality opponent as well. freidgen vs bowden

EMU +200 --undervalued team , bad team as a road favorite in northern illy , schmitt status ?? could mean improvement.

michigan +200 --Team should get better each week. wisconsin poroved they might sturuggle to score on road in trip to frresno.

I would avoid these two ...

akron -- outclassed , bad matchup , terrible line value

indiana +265 --see indy run defense , see J Ringer. bcs home dog though , will give it that.

alright my two cents .....

the ones that look promising to me ....

colorado -- huge coaching edge , huge qb edge , anemic offense for favorite.

kent +700 -- mac favorite , Love injury not only hurts offense but might be a huge distraction for kids , line is way too high.

maryland -- Quality team has already shown ability to beat quality opponent as well. freidgen vs bowden

EMU +200 --undervalued team , bad team as a road favorite in northern illy , schmitt status ?? could mean improvement.

michigan +200 --Team should get better each week. wisconsin poroved they might sturuggle to score on road in trip to frresno.

I would avoid these two ...

akron -- outclassed , bad matchup , terrible line value

indiana +265 --see indy run defense , see J Ringer. bcs home dog though , will give it that.

Thanks for the input VK, greatly appreciated. We are on the same page for the most part as I have Akron and Indiana ranked 9th and 10th out of the 10 plays listed.

I actually have Idaho listed #1 as I think there is solid value getting +400 in a matchup of two horrible teams where the fav has lost 6 straight and hasn't demonstrated much offensively this season. Idaho is really bad, but I think they have a legit shot to win SU. Also thinking about taking a shot at +11.5 or wherever the line sits right now as I don't think any 0-3 team as bad as SDSU should be laying DD period, even against the Vandals.

Colorado I have as #2 many b/c FSU is a mystery both at QB and on offense, which makes this a toss up IMO

Houston #3 on my list, b/c I see this one being a shootout that could come down to the last possession.

Bama #4 b/c strange things happen in the SEC and this wouldn't be a huge upset IMO

Kent #5 mainly on value alone as they are not a horrible team and it wouldn't be a huge upset if they win SU as BSU was not the prohibitive MAC fav heading into the season by any means.

Michigan I have as #6 as they have won 7 of 9 in the series and 4 straight at home vs Wisky.

Maryland #7 for the reasons listed earlier in my thread.

EMU #8 b/c both teams are about equal in my book, equally bad. Decent value getting +200 against a team that struggle to win a game last year and isn't terribly great on the road historically speaking.

Agree about Akron and Indiana as noted above.

Thanks again!

kent is +850 at cris ..... i have to consider atleast throwing some small amount on this don't i , CB ... maybe a hundy or something that wont bother me when i lose .... just really incredible value ....

i mean i would actually be SHOCKED if akron beat cincy and that line is cincy -425 and would not be shocked at all to see ball st lose in a tough situation and that is +850 .....

what you think ?

kent is +850 at cris ..... i have to consider atleast throwing some small amount on this don't i , CB ... maybe a hundy or something that wont bother me when i lose .... just really incredible value ....

i mean i would actually be SHOCKED if akron beat cincy and that line is cincy -425 and would not be shocked at all to see ball st lose in a tough situation and that is +850 .....

what you think ?

Completely agree with the above. For any ML plays, I am talking between 100 to 150 at the most as I don't wanna screw myself if I ended up only hitting like 1 out of 7 or something. May just sit out the ML dogs this week and see which ones I would have picked actually hit. Of course, that means that Kent will win SU as will Idaho haha.

Find me a good one this week so I can claim an undefeated record!

Michigan, New Mexico St and UCLA...in that order. I probably won't be on the Bruins because I can't get past the offense; Michigan and New Mexico St could both definitely make my card.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
Kent up to 21 110 at the Greek....Assuming b/c Jarvis must be a definite no go at this point. Definitely leaning Kent as the value may be too much to pass up, but gonna wait and see how the line shakes out in the morning.

Find me a good one this week so I can claim an undefeated record!

Michigan, New Mexico St and UCLA...in that order. I probably won't be on the Bruins because I can't get past the offense; Michigan and New Mexico St could both definitely make my card.<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Agree on Michigan, but I slept on the line and now it is down to 5, so the value is lost IMO as I would have loved 6.5 or 7. Can't bring myself to play either of the other two as you never know which version will show up.

Gonna go small this week at $50 a pop to give this ML dog stuff a shot. Here are the 7 I have locked and loaded at the Greek.

Cuse +450 50 to win 225
Houston +350 50 to win 175
Maryland +330 50 to win 165
Illinois +550 50 to win 275
Idaho +350 50 to win 175
North Texas +550 50 to win 275
Kent +1400 50 to win 700

Best of luck this weekend guys!

Final Week 5 Card

Week 5 Plays
WMU -2.5 120
BGSU -2.5 120
TOLEDO -17 120
MARYLAND +110
OLE MISS +22 110
IDAHO +11 110
ARKIE ST ML 125

Small ML dog plays for fun...

Cuse +450 50 to win 225
Houston +350 50 to win 175
Maryland +330 50 to win 165
Illinois +550 50 to win 275
Idaho +350 50 to win 175
North Texas +550 50 to win 275
Kent +1400 50 to win 700

CB I am sorry I have not read this whole thread but can I have some quick thoughts on the Tarheels game. I have them +8 with the local and really looking at playing them. Thinking Butch has them ready for today and maybe even pulls the upset. Thanks

wow Ole Miss just shot up from 22 to 23.5 within the last few mins. everytime I refreshed the line it moved half a point.

like your card CB, good luck bro

Week 5 Results to Date
WMU = Winner (+1.0)
MD = Winner (+1.0)
OLE MISS = Winner (+1.0)
BGSU = Winner (+1.0)
ARKIE ST= Loser (-1.25)

4-1 with 2 Plays Still Pending...Toledo, Idaho

Small ML Plays
Maryland ML = Winner +330 (+0.469 units)
Houston ML = Winner +350 (+0.497 units)
Kent St ML = Loser (-0.142 units)
Cuse ML = Loser (-0.142 units)
NT ML = Loser (-0.142 units)

Still pending MLs
Illinois +550 (0.142 to win 0.781),
Idaho +350 (0.142 to win 0.497)

Last edited:
Updated Week 5 Record --> 4-3

Bad losses on Idaho, Toledo, and Arkie State, as those were just bad calls on my part, no way around it.

Solid wins on WMU, BGSU, Ole Miss, and Maryland.

Netted out +0.256 units on my small ML plays as Houston and Maryland both cashed at +350 and +330 respectively.

Overall year to date now stands at 26-19 (58%). Today was a weird day, so I feel lucky that I survived with a winning record and with a little extra profit generated along the way.

On to week 6...

Updated records involving teams from the following conferences...

Big 10 6-2
Sun Belt 6-3
CUSA 5-2
Big 12 3-1
MAC 7-4
SEC 3-2
Pac 10 4-4
Big East 2-2
MWC 3-3
ACC 2-3
WAC 1-3

Need to find more road dogs, as I am now 8-4 on road dog plays, but only 7-6 on home favs and 11-7 on road favs. Still haven't found a home dog, as I am 0-0 there. Totals, still a dismal 0-2 haha.

Road Dogs 8-4
Road Favs 11-7
Home Favs 7-6
Home Dogs 0-0
Totals 0-2

Overall 26-19 58%

Back