Carolinablue Week 2 Plays

carolinablue

College Football Guru
Week 1 Result = 5-5 blah
Week 2 Result = 7-5 whew!

Kansas and Wisky were painful losses to take as I was inches away from 7-3, but that's the life we choose to live fellas, so if you live by the sword, gotta die by the sword.

Week 2 plays locked in already. Missed some of the opening lines because I was out doing the family thing (I know, I know), but think I still will be on the right side of most of these between now and kickoff.

SOUTH CAROLINA -9 110 LOSER
NW -6 110 LOSER
CAL -12.5 110 WINNER
TULSA -19.5 120 WINNER
IOWA -26.5 110 WINNER
RICE +3.5 120 WINNER
USF -12.5 120 LOSER
BUFFALO +12 110 WINNER
ARIZONA -22.5 110 WINNER
WYOMING -2.5 120 LOSER
WISKY -20.5 110 WINNER
NAVY/BSU OVER 59.5 110 LOSER

Last edited:
One quick note about any talk of look ahead for the Gamecocks...

In case anyone has forgotten, Vandy beat this team 17-6 LY when SC was 6-1 and #6 in the nation. The Gamecocks were never the same after that loss, and you better believe that Spurrier will do everything in his power to redeem himself after losing to Vandy for the first time in 15 tries last year. Good value on this line b/c Vandy looked really good in a nationally televised game last week, but I think SC demonstrates that last week was more about how bad the Redhawks were, vs how good Vandy is. We'll see later this week.

Added Arizona -22.5 110.

Zona OL should be able to push around the Toledo DL, giving the passing game plenty of time to pick apart the Toledo secondary. Also, don't see how the Toledo OL is gonna keep Zona from getting into the backfield and causing all sorts of havoc with the Toledo offensive scheme. Toledo definitely won't get shut out like the Vandals did, but I see Zona putting up big numbers again this week as they prepare for the Pac 10. Last thing I want to point out is the fact that during the past four seasons, Toledo has lost 13 games by 20 points or more. Definitely bodes well when looking at big spreads like this one.

Added WYOMING -2.5 120

We will all sink or swim together on this one guys, as I am only playing this because the line makes no sense from a purely rational perspective. I expect it to hit at least 4 later this week, as the 3 110 is too far of a correction in my opinion.

I jumped on SC -9 myself.

Going to wait to see how all the others shake out but I'm looking for ECU to get over DD's

GL cb

I jumped on SC -9 myself.

Going to wait to see how all the others shake out but I'm looking for ECU to get over DD's

GL cb

Yeah, I was hoping for ECU at 11.5 or at least 10.5, but judging by the line and the ECU hype, probably won't get there now.

I'll take it as long as it doesn't get under 7, but I'd certainly like to have 10 or higher so I figure it's worth it to wait and see what happens

There's plenty of people out there that LOVE to lay 9 or higher with WVU on the road against anyone.

I hope the total on WVU/ECU is around 56 I think both teams can put up some points. ECU looked very good (158 yds rushing) on offense against what should be a very good VT defense.

One quick note about any talk of look ahead for the Gamecocks...

In case anyone has forgotten, Vandy beat this team 17-6 LY when SC was 6-1 and #6 in the nation. The Gamecocks were never the same after that loss, and you better believe that Spurrier will do everything in his power to redeem himself after losing to Vandy for the first time in 15 tries last year. Good value on this line b/c Vandy looked really good in a nationally televised game last week, but I think SC demonstrates that last week was more about how bad the Redhawks were, vs how good Vandy is. We'll see later this week.

that vandy game was pretty fucked up too; at one point in the game vandy was up 27-10 while miami had 30 more net yards and the same amount of first downs...miami had a lot of mental breakdowns and played horribly early

i think nc st is better than vandy, and i will probably be with you on this...i think vandy is going to have a rough year

I'll take it as long as it doesn't get under 7, but I'd certainly like to have 10 or higher so I figure it's worth it to wait and see what happens

There's plenty of people out there that LOVE to lay 9 or higher with WVU on the road against anyone.

I'm one of them...

Added Wisky -20.5 110 at the greek. Was 20 last night but wanted to look over some things so not too upset it jumped a half, unless of course Wisky only wins by 20 on Saturday haha..

Did some reading last night on the Marshall and Wisky games, and decided to take another shot on Wisky as I expect them to be sharper this week against a very inexperienced Marshall squad that will be lucky to put up 14 with all the new pieces they have on the offensive side of the puzzle. Confident that Wisky will not let opportunities slip through their hands this time, as I expect them to come on firing on all cylinders in the 1H and to continue hammering Marshall throughout as things were not pleasant after the game from what I read, because of the lack of 60min effort that was exhibited on Saturday. Love this type of motivation for the Marshall game as Wisky may put up 50 in this one.

Local Paper Recap - Marshall

CHARLESTON, W.Va. -- OK, Marshall fans, so your team didn't roll up 50 or 60 on Illinois State.
So the Thundering Herd faces a red-clad team this week that's a whole bunch better, Wisconsin.
So the Herd will have to improve considerably to win a really, really important game in two weeks, the Conference USA opener against Memphis.
It's all good. After sitting through the 2007 season, it's tough to be negative about a 35-10 win over anybody. Cycling through some of the Herd's preseason question marks, I saw passing efforts all around in the opener.
Spectacular? Generally, no. Needing improvement, posthaste? Yep. But Herd coaches have something to work with, such as:
The offensive line didn't have a bad day. The Herd ran for 7.2 yards per carry and quarterback Mark Cann only needed a few mildly evasive maneuvers to preserve a sack-free day. There was one holding penalty that cost the Herd a probable touchdown, but there were no false starts or other penalties.
Had Illinois State not enjoyed an amazing 83-54 advantage in plays from scrimmage, the Herd probably rolls up 350 rushing yards instead of 229, and 500 or more total yards instead of 390. Then you would have seen some serious scoring.
Cann shook off his college-debut jitters. Believe me, he had them.
His first pass was complete, but barely. He rolled out and threw a wobbly short pass to Cody Slate, who had to reach low and concentrate to bring it in - probably costing him a chance to turn around and convert a second-and-6. That led to a failed third down, one of nine in a row for the Herd.
Cann wasn't great on those third downs, in which he faced an average 6.6 yards to go. Passing on that down, he was 3-of-8 for 19 yards and that bad interception in the end zone in the second quarter - an NCAA passer rating of 32.45. The Herd didn't convert a third down until very late in the game, when Cann hit Darius Marshall with a 14-yard shovel pass.
But Cann deserved a little better. Two of the third-down incompletions came on drops, and thanks to a fumble after the catch by Slate, we'll never know how Cann's first two-minute drill would have finished.
But then again, the Herd got the ball back and he threw that reallllly pretty pass to Darius Passmore, good for 88 yards. There's more where that came from, I'm sure.
Punter Kase Whitehead aced his first test. He had the hang time and the distance, and pulled off a 49-yarder that was downed at the 1. The only thing close to a problem was a slightly high snap or two.
The youthful cornerbacks survived.
Illinois State quarterbacks went 24-of-43 for 229 yards, but did much of their damage with screens and short passes.
True freshman Ahmed Shakoor entered early in the fourth quarter, and Redbirds QB Kevin Brockway went after him right away. Shakoor let Eyad Salem get a step on a second-and-1 bomb, but was closing fast as the pass sailed too long. That could have been interesting.
But Herd corners came up empty in interceptions again, for about the 14th game in a row. I thought they missed a good chance or two, and I think coach Mark Snyder would agree.
"There's a couple of times there you'd like to see them go get the ball," Snyder said. "Intercept the football; take the football away. And they had first-game jitters, too, just like our quarterback."
The defense wasn't bad against the run.
Yes, the Herd will be vulnerable to P.J. Hill and the Wisconsin ground game. So will most of the Big Ten.
While Illinois State did run a lot in its 17-play touchdown drive early, the Herd held the Redbirds to zero or negative yardage seven times in the game. The longest run all day was 10 yards and Kansas State transfer Parrish Fisher couldn't get anywhere on first-and-goal at the Marshall 4.
The Herd won't hold Wisconsin to 98 rushing yards, but you've got to take this result.
nn
So that brings us to Wisconsin, the game that doesn't quite fit. This is a "buy" game for the Badgers, brokered eons ago and rescheduled a few years back.
Saturday, I overheard for the umpteenth time in the MU press box how Marshall should have gotten out of the game. I don't necessarily agree, mostly because MU officials would have had to line up another Football Bowl Subdivision foe on short notice - never an easy chore.
But here's my biggest beef: When the game was contracted back in the 18th century or whenever, the guarantee of $450,000 sounded like a huge chunk of dough. Today, with sky-high fuel prices and six-digit charter flights, it's chump change.
The 13th-ranked Badgers zipped through Akron on Saturday without using much of their playbook, rushing for 404 yards in a 38-17 victory. Hill racked up 210, though he fumbled across the goal line to kill a drive.
As left tackle Gabe Carimi told reporters afterward, "It was like 'inside drill' the whole game."
But hey, the game isn't hopeless for the Herd (see: East Carolina 27, Virginia Tech 22) and the upper Midwest is a fine destination in the peak of hurricane season, don't you think? So what the heck, play ball.

Local Paper Recap - Wisconsin

MADISON, Wis. (AP) -- No. 13 Wisconsin's game plan couldn't have been much more straightforward going into Saturday's season opener against Akron: A heaping helping of P.J. Hill, P.J. Hill and more P.J. Hill.
And it certainly worked early on. The Badgers' bulldozing running back rambled for 108 yards and a touchdown in the first quarter, on his way to 210 yards and two scores for the day.

But Wisconsin's plans hit a slight hiccup when Hill fumbled on the goal line, helping Akron rally to within a touchdown at halftime. The Badgers then scored on their first two possessions of the third quarter and went on to put the pesky Zips away, 38-17.

"We were in a position when it was 17-0, and everybody's saying, 'Oh, that's just what we do,'" Badgers coach Bret Bielema said. "I don't know if there was the urgency in the second quarter. But they restored the roar in the third."
It was the second career game of more than 200 yards rushing for Hill, who gained more than 1,200 yards in each of his first two seasons despite nagging injuries. <TABLE class=advertisement cellSpacing=0 align=right><TBODY><TR><TH></TH></TR><TR><TD><!-- Begin Ban Man Pro Banner Code --><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript> <!-- var browName=navigator.appName; var browDateTime=(new Date()).getTime(); var browVersion=parseInt(navigator.appVersion); var ua=navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase(); var adcode=''; if (browName=='Netscape') { if (browVersion>=5) { document.write('<ifr'+'ame src="http://12.26.242.215/banmanpro/ad.aspx?ZoneID=935&Task=Get&Browser=NETSCAPE6&SiteID=1&X='+browDateTime+'" width="300" height="250" Marginwidth="0" Marginheight="0" Hspace="0" Vspace="0" Frameborder="0" Scrolling="No"><\/ifr'+'ame>'); } else if ((browVersion>=4)&&(ua.indexOf("mac")==-1)) { document.write('<s'+'cript src="http://12.26.242.215/banmanpro/ad.aspx?ZoneID=935&Task=Get&Browser=NETSCAPE4&SiteID=1">'); document.write('<\/'+'scr'+'ipt>'); document.write(adcode); } else if (browVersion>=3) { document.write('<a href="http://12.26.242.215/banmanpro/ad.aspx?ZoneID=935&Task=Click&Mode=HTML&SiteID=1&PageID='+browDateTime+'&RandomNumber='+browDateTime+'">
ad.aspx
<\/a>'); } } else { document.write('<ifr'+'ame src="http://12.26.242.215/banmanpro/ad.aspx?ZoneID=935&Task=Get&SiteID=1&X='+browDateTime+'" width="300" height="250" Marginwidth="0" Marginheight="0" Hspace="0" Vspace="0" Frameborder="0" Scrolling="No"><\/ifr'+'ame>'); } // --> </SCRIPT><NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT><!-- End Ban Man Pro Banner Code --></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The Badgers came pretty close to having three 100-yard rushers Saturday -- backup running back Zach Brown added 87 yards and a touchdown and John Clay had 71 yards and a touchdown -- but Hill is still the backbone of their offense.
"You want to show them that it's going to be a long day," Hill said. "It's not going to be easy. Badger football -- we play physical football, straight at you. Nothing too fancy. Eventually it's going to wear you down."
But not without a little drama.

Trailing, 17-0, Akron used a shotgun spread formation -- an offensive trend that gave Wisconsin's defense fits last season -- to put together a 10-play, 72 yard drive that ended with Chris Jacquemain's 3-yard touchdown pass to Merce Poindexter to cut Wisconsin's lead to 17-7.
After a long kickoff return and face mask penalty, the Badgers got the ball back at the Akron 18-yard line. They ran Hill three straight times -- and he fumbled as he stretched toward the goal line on his third carry, sending the ball bouncing out of the end zone and giving the ball back to Akron.
"I was just being competitive," Hill said. "I should have known better than reaching with the ball."

The Badgers forced a punt and drove to the Zips' 6-yard line. But new Badgers starting quarterback Allan Evridge was intercepted by safety Brian Williams, who ran the ball back to the Badgers' 38-yard line with 22 seconds left in the half. After a field goal, Akron trailed, 17-10, at halftime.

"We were excited," Jacquemain said. "We closed out the first half pretty well. We were in it at halftime and we were excited coming out for the second half. It just fell apart for us."
Hill broke free for a 34-yard run on Wisconsin's first possession of the second half, then ended the drive by plunging into the end zone on fourth-and-goal from the 1-yard line to put Wisconsin ahead, 24-10.
Akron running back Dennis Kennedy fumbled on the first play of the Zips' next possession, and the Badgers drove for a 2-yard touchdown by Brown to take a 31-10 lead with 6:20 left in the third quarter.
Notes: Wisconsin redshirt freshman defensive end Louis Nzegwu, a native of Platteville, Wis., played and registered the first official tackle of his collegiate career.

True freshman Bradie Ewing, from Richland Center, Wis., also played and carried twice for 11 yards and returned one kickoff for four yards.

--------------
Akron coach J.D. Brookhart said his team made too many mistakes to pull off an upset.
"We're going to have to play extremely well, and they're going to have to make some mistakes to have that opportunity," Brookhart said. "They did make those mistakes, but we didn't take advantage of them, and then (had) a couple momentum shifts early in the second half that didn't help us."

And Akron needed to slow down Wisconsin's running game more than they did.
"I thought our effort was good today," Brookhart said. "Our inexperience and youth showed. Obviously up front defensively, they handled us pretty well and wore us down. I bet they do that quite a bit this year."
Bielema said the Badgers presented a "unique problem" that Akron wasn't likely to see in the Mid-American Conference, making Saturday's game hard to prepare for.

"They've got some playmakers," Bielema said. "I think that quarterback is a good football player. He missed some throws there, but hopefully we had something to do with that."

Evridge also missed a few throws in his debut as the Badgers' starter, and two of them could have been particularly costly -- his second-quarter interception and another one that nearly was picked off near the end of the first quarter. Evridge watched in relief as Akron safety Tyler Campbell dropped the ball with nothing but space between himself and the other end zone.

Evridge was 7-of-10 for 75 yards with a touchdown and an interception.
"I think I did fairly well," Evridge said. "I handed off the ball all right."

Local Paper Recap - Northwestern

Fitzgerald, first-year offensive coordinator Mick McCall and offensive line coach Brett Ingalls face aother tough decision as they head for Duke (1-0) Saturday night. Veteran rght tackle Kurt Mattes (sprained knee) was held out of the opener, but will be "full speed'' for the Blue Devils, according to Fitzgerald.

The problem is that fill-in Desmond Taylor played more than capably in place of Mattes and helped key a sharp, cohesive effort by a paw-worked unit that included new starters Ben Burkett (center), Keegan Kennedy (left guard) and Al Netter (left tackle) plus returning right guard Joel Belding.

Heightening the intrigue was the fact that Mattes told media earlier last week that he was "fine'' and expected to play vs. Syracuse. Said Fitzgerald: "[Kurt] was probably about 95 percent to start the week. We had worked with that group of five guys for a week prior to that. We felt like we had pretty good continuity going into the opener. We wanted to give Kurt a couple of more days of rest. You might see a little bit different combination [at Duke], but Kurt is ready to go now for next week.''

* The revitalized NU defense -- very good in limiting Syracuse to 62 yards rushing after the first quarter and 225 yards in total offense for the day -- is expected to get a further boost against Duke with the return of star defensive tackle John Gill. He completed a two-tiered suspension for a still-unspecified "violation of team policies'' by sitting out the opener.
Corbin Bryant played well in his stead, finishing with four tackles and forcing a fumble that the Orange recovered.

* The slope of difficulty for the Wildcats (1-0) at Duke was significantly steepened when the Blue Devils snapped a 16-game home losing streak with a 31-7 breeze past James Madison on Saturday. The game marked the debut of BCS-seasoned David Cutcliffe (Mississippi) as Duke's new head coach.

Thaddeus Lewis -- who threw three touchdown passes when the Blue Devils upset NU 20-14 in Evanston last September -- had two vs. James Madison while running back Clifford Harris added two more from 97 rushing yards.

----
Asked the difference new coordinator Mike Hankwitz has brought to the NU defense, safety Brendan Smith replied: "We have a different energy level. Guys just feel more confident.''...

Local Paper Recap - Memphis

The University of Memphis defense was victimized by Ole Miss in every which way Saturday, from bad tackling to poor containment to busted coverage. But many of the problems in the Tigers' 41-24 loss, according to coach Tommy West, occurred before the ball was ever in play.

"When they're on the line of scrimmage, getting ready to snap the ball, we're standing around looking around like we don't know what we're doing, and that's not the case," West said. "They know what to do, and then when we did, we played decent. I thought they played at a nice tempo offensively in the first half, and we didn't react to it at all."

Tim Walton's debut as Memphis' defensive coordinator wasn't a disaster statistically. The Tigers gave up 438 total yards -- just about their average of 441.5 a year ago -- and held Rebels quarterback Jevan Snead to 10-of-22 passing for 185 yards.

On the other hand, after forcing Ole Miss to punt on its first series, the Tigers yielded six straight scoring drives, four of which ended in touchdowns. By that point, 6:47 into the third quarter, Memphis was hopelessly behind 34-10.

"It's a big disappointment for the senior guys on defense," defensive tackle Clinton McDonald. "We go out and practice every day and look good out there practicing, but the true test is the game, who can play when the lights are on."

Memphis' defensive woes -- now stretching into a third straight season -- were the undoing of former coordinators Joe Lee Dunn and Rick Kravitz and the inspiration for hiring Walton, who was brought in after coordinating Miami's defense a year ago.

The weight of learning another defensive system, West conceded, might have contributed to the Tigers' slow start.
"Just because I hired a new guy, we're not all the sudden going to be great on defense," he said. "Tim's a good football coach, but he don't tackle nobody or cover nobody. But we'll get better doing what we do, I believe that. Will it be easy? No. but we'll get better doing our stuff."
Both Walton and West said the Tigers' reaction time Saturday was noticeably slower than they expected. While the Rebels were trying to get plays off quickly, Memphis was scrambling to get calls in and get everybody on the same page.

Whether it was uncertainty, confusion or nerves, the Tigers appeared to be a step behind reacting to whatever Ole Miss tried to do.
"We can't look around because they went quick tempo and caught us about three times not ready to go," Walton said. "Have to be ready for first-game stuff, play through first-game jitters and get lined up and go sometimes. I've got to get them out of that quick. Just put that on me."
The Tigers were also just fundamentally poor at times, especially when Ole Miss ran the ball outside. Ole Miss had 216 rushing total yards, which West attributed mostly to deficient run support from the safety positions.
"Everything we watched, they did," McDonald said. "We just didn't execute. They out-gamed us. They came to play. ... We busted a few calls and they ran over us. We weren't ready to play physically. Everything they wanted to run, they hit it on the go. We basically stunk it up."

West said he was OK with some of Ole Miss' big plays, including the first touchdown -- a 64-yard pass to Shay Hodge -- because Memphis was often in man-to-man coverage. Other mistakes, however, were not as forgivable.

Ole Miss took a 14-7 lead on a 32-yard run by Dexter McCluster and took a 34-10 lead on a third-and-13 touchdown pass to Hodge.
Memphis doesn't have much time to correct those issues, given that Rice -- which scored 56 points against SMU last week -- is next up on the schedule.

"I'm not OK with the second (touchdown) when we bust and we've got nobody out there," West said. "And they just run in untouched because we're not ready and our safety doesn't go. I'm not OK with that. We looked out of synch, and we looked like we were running a new system
"We'll have to get better defensively real fast."

Local Paper Recap - Iowa

<!-- bodytext -->
What went right?

Still questioning Iowa's rushing game? Well don't, because the trio of Shonn Greene, Paki O'Meara and freshman Jewel Hampton performed well for a team that had 245 rushing yards. "We have good running backs," guard Seth Olsen said. "They can break tackles - all three of (the backs). They can make guys miss. Anyone worrying about our rushing - we don't worry about it."
<MAP id=m_300x250_content_layout name=m_300x250_content_layout></MAP>
What went wrong?

Maine moved the ball well occasionally against a defense that is supposed to be the strength of the team. Cornerback Amari Spievey got burned on the first play of the game for a 37-yard Black Bear gain. Maine drove to the Hawkeye 23-yard line on its first possession. Tailback Jhamal Fluellen rushed 21 times for 104 yards for a team that had 137 yards on the ground. "One of our goals was to keep them under 100 yards rushing," tackle Matt Kroul said. "We had too many mistakes."

Lost in the shuffle

Linebacker A.J. Edds clearly was the defensive star. He forced a safety, deflected a pass that was intercepted by Bradley Fletcher, defended a long pass one-on-one, and had a sack. "Just trying to make plays," Edds said. "On the safety, I don't think the quarterback could feel me coming."

Difference maker: Tailback Shonn Greene

Greene collected 32 of Iowa's 69 yards on the first drive, which ended with him bursting a yard for a score on fourth down. The burly back proved his superiority early, and often. Translated: He weighs 235 pounds, just four pounds shy of the average weight of Maine's defensive linemen.

Key number: 7

Iowa scored on seven of eight possessions in the red zone, the lone mishap coming in the fourth quarter when Hampton was stopped two yards shy of a first down on a fourth-down rush.

Good, good stuff as always. On NW big with you and SC. Lean your way on rest of card with exception of Rice... just haven't looked into that one yet.

Tulsa up to 21 now, nice line.

Iowa going to smoke those guys... will probably add that.

Local Paper Recap - FIU

FIU showed in spurts during its season-opening 40-10 loss to Kansas that it has improved. But the Golden Panthers' inability to sustain a drive and a couple of lapses in punt coverage did them in.

Going against the No. 13 Jayhawks, who had the second-highest-scoring offense in the nation last season, the FIU defense allowed fewer than 300 yards until the final drive of Saturday's game.

Last season, the Jayhawks rolled up 615 yards against the Golden Panthers in a 55-3 win. In this season's meeting, Kansas had 384 yards.
The FIU defense was faster and more physical Saturday, but like the offense and special teams, it was not good enough.

''A team like Kansas -- they are a top-10 team,'' FIU coach Mario Cristobal said. ``Quite frankly, we gifted them 13 points.
'. . . I really feel that we are better, but if we don't become more consistent it's not good enough. Human nature will make you think that, `It's OK, I'm better.' But the bottom line is this game could have been a lot better, a lot more in our favor if we would have taken care of our business and we didn't. So we got to get better.''

Outside of a late second-quarter drive that resulted in a field goal and a third-quarter drive that ended on downs at the Kansas 9, the new FIU spread offense was ragged.
FIU had a chance to score first in the first quarter after Kansas punter Alonso Rojas flubbed a punt to give the Golden Panthers the ball at the KU 46.

On the third down of the FIU drive, new starting quarterback Paul McCall had receiver Jeremy Dickens open in the middle of the field near the end zone, but the two players could not connect on the pass. McCall was sacked on the next play to end the drive.
Also part of the offense's malaise was the failure to establish a running game.

If not for three sacks, McCall would have been FIU's leading rusher with 51 yards. The junior gained 24 yards on two scrambles. Running back A'mod Ned led FIU with 42 yards rushing.

''I think our offensive line has to improve,'' Cristobal said. ``They had their moments. We have to be able to take the pressure off the quarterback and the wide receivers by establishing a solid running game and we did not do that against Kansas.''

FIU's failure to cover two punts led to 10 points for the Jayhawks -- one a 75-yard punt-return touchdown by Daymond Patterson.
However, all was not lost on special teams.
Freshman T.Y. Hilton took his first punt return for a 74-yard touchdown. FIU's kicking game, a concern in camp, was flawless. Kicker Dustin Rivest converted a career-long 43-yard field goal, and new punter Carlos Munera averaged 43.8 yards per punt.
<!-- story_mapbox.comp --><!-- /story_mapbox.comp -->

Local Paper Recap - Buffalo

The University at Buffalo football team started the 2008 season with a bang in a textbook 42-17 victory over the University of Texas-El Paso before a paid crowd of 16,656 at UB Stadium.

Senior quarterback Drew Willy (Randolph, NJ/Randolph) led the Bulls' offense with a career-high four touchdowns through the air, while tailbacks James Starks (Niagara Falls, NY/Niagara Falls) and Brandon Thermilus (Flower Mound, TX/Marcus) each went over 100 yards rushing. The defense, meanwhile, held a Miners' offense that averaged nearly 34 points per game last year, to 266 yards of total offense and 17 points.
"That's a great win,” said head coach Turner Gill. “I’m very excited about our program. I’m very excited about our student body. I’m excited for our players. It’s a great win and it shows everyone that our program is moving forward definitely in the right direction.”
<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left valign="bottom"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

In speaking about his defense, Gill said, “I believe that overall our defense will be better. We have better speed than we did last year. We have a little bit more depth at certain positions. Coach Williams did an outstanding job preparing our linebacking corps and they played well. They had a great opportunity to make plays and they made them.”

Said Willy of the performance, “We ran the ball, we passed it, the defense played great. It was truly a team win. The offensive line did a great job protecting me, giving James and Brandon holes, I’d like to give that game to them. They were physical all night, they were telling us in the huddle, ‘keep running that rock, keep running that rock.’ ”

The Bulls got off to a fast start to the 2008 season, scoring on their first possession after a huge special teams play. After stopping UTEP in three plays, senior Alex Pierre (Hackensack, NJ/Hackensack) tackled the punter Kyle Peterson for a 13-yard loss at the UTEP 20-yard line.
After a sack pushed the Bulls back to the 15-yard line, Willy connected with senior tight end Bryan Kisabeth (Plymouth, MI/Divine Child) for the Bulls' first score of the season. Buffalo led 7-0, after a PAT by sophomore kicker A.J. Principe (Columbus, OH/St. Francis DeSales), with 11:15 left in the first quarter.

The Bulls kept the momentum on UTEP's next possession, as sophomore linebacker Justin Winters (Greenbelt, MD/Eleanor Roosevelt) intercepted a Trevor Vittatoe pass, after a deflection by cornerback Josh Thomas (Cedar Hill, TX/Cedar Hill). The Bulls, however, could not take advantage and the teams traded punts before the Bulls scored another touchdown.

The Bulls capped an 80-yard drive when Willy hit Roosevelt on a screen pass that the junior turned into a 68-yard touchdown, the longest of his career. The Bulls led 14-0 with 3:16 remaining in the first quarter.
However, the Miners would not go away quietly, as they clawed back into the game with a pair of second-quarter touchdowns to tie the game at 14-14.

The Bulls, however, mounted a tremendous drive late in the first quarter, marching 89 yards in 10 plays. Willy connected on a 23-yard pass to Roosevelt and finished the drive with a gorgeous 34-yard pass down the left sideline to senior Gary Rice (Hamilton, OH/Hamilton). The Bulls entered the half with a 21-14 lead.
Buffalo picked up right where it left off to start the third quarter to push the lead back to a pair of touchdowns. Willy went back to Roosevelt again, this time for a 56-yard bomb that Roosevelt caught in stride for the score. The Bulls led 28-14 with 13:18 left in the third quarter.
<TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left valign="bottom"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

After UTEP kicked a field goal to cut the lead to 28-17 before the defense rose up and made a huge play early in the fourth quarter. Holding on to an 11-point lead and UTEP driving, redshirt freshman linebacker John Syty (Clarence, NY/Clarence) intercepted Vittatoe in the end zone after the ball was tipped by sophomore Sherrod Lott (Plant City, FL/Plant City).

The Bulls then put the game away in the fourth quarter by completely dominating the line of scrimmage. Buffalo drove 80 yards in nine plays to score again, with Thermilus blasting the final two yards.

After stopping UTEP on downs, Buffalo drove 9 plays and 55 yards with Thermilus ripping off a 13-yard run for the clinching score with 4:48 remaining. It was Thermilus' first two-touchdown game in his career.
Thermilus finished the game with 102 yards on 16 carries, while Starks had 179 yards on 31 carries. For the game, the Bulls averaged 5.3 yards per game. Syty added his second interception of the game on UTEP's next drive.

Defensively, Winters finished with a team-high 10 tackles, two for loss, a sack and an interception. Sophomore strong safety Davonte Shannon (Jeannette, PA/Jeannette) added eight tackles, while sophomore linebacker Tom Drewes (Dunmore, PA/Dunmore) added six tackles, a sack, 1.5 tackles for loss and a forced fumble.
Roosevelt added four receptions for a career-high 154 yards (38.5 yards per catch). UTEP coach Mike Price was impressed by the Bulls' effort: “We have the biggest game in the history of the school coming up (against Texas next week) and, damn, I hope they are not as good as Buffalo.” <TABLE style="PADDING-RIGHT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left valign="bottom"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Local Paper Recap - North Texas

North Texas head coach Todd Dodge didn’t see this one coming. Neither did quarterback Giovanni Vizza, or anyone else for that matter.
Of all the ways the Mean Green could have opened the season, its performance against Kansas State seemed among the least likely.

And no, we are not talking about a 45-6 final score -- at least not the 45 part. One could see that coming a mile away. The Mean Green gave up 45.1 points a game last year, lost its top five tacklers from 2007 and was playing its first game under Gary DeLoach, UNT’s former defensive coordinator who is back for his second stint with the Mean Green.

That six, though, is pretty tough to understand for Dodge, for Vizza and for just about anyone who has followed the Mean Green, even though UNT has traditionally struggled in nonconference games.
UNT's passing game is supposed to be the greatest show on turf in the Sun Belt Conference, or among the three Division I teams in the Dallas-Fort Worth area, or among Texas teams not in major conferences.
Or something like that.

No matter how one wants to describe the Mean Green's attack, the bottom line is that UNT is supposed to win at some point this season because of its spread offense. The Mean Green has built its program on it.
UNT sold the small army of receivers it has signed over the last two years on the potential of Dodge's offense, not to mention its fans ever since it brought in its new coach before last season.

Remember that, “It’s wide open” banner on the back of the press box at Fouts Field?
No matter how one looks at it, the fact of the matter is UNT is going to sink or swim with how it does offensively this season.
The assumption was that UNT would take a step forward again offensively against Kansas State, or at least show signs of one coming soon. It seemed like a safe conclusion considering Vizza was making his ninth career start, super wide receiver Casey Fitzgerald was back and a host of hyped redshirt freshmen were making their debuts.

Those factors didn’t play out the way the Mean Green expected on a night when nothing seemed to go right for UNT offensively. The Mean Green seemed intent on running the ball and saw Vizza finish with just 100 passing yards, which was also UNT’s total for the day.

“We got off to a slow start and didn’t execute early,” Vizza said. “The drives we did execute on, we didn’t finish.”
The 100 yards Vizza threw for represented the worst passing performance for the Mean Green since Dodge took over before the beginning of last season. For perspective sake, UNT had 232 passing yards in its season-opener at Oklahoma last year.

Even on its worst day of the 2007 season, the Mean Green still managed 160 passing yards in a loss to Arkansas State.
UNT seemed to be at a loss for words when it came time to try to explain what happened against a Kansas State team that wasn’t all that impressive last season defensively. The Wildcats ranked 86th nationally in 2007 with an average of 30.8 points allowed a game.

“We expected to play much better offensively from a production standpoint,” Dodge said. “The bottom line is to score one more point than the other team and obviously we didn’t do that tonight. It was a bit disappointing. It’s one of those things we need to take a look at.”

When UNT takes a closer look, it will realize that some of its problems had to do with playing a team from the Big 12. It’s practically a UNT tradition to open the season by being blasted by a Big 12 team. Texas and Oklahoma seemed to be on a yearly rotation for several years when it came to opening against the Mean Green.

UNT’s problems could also have been due to some early season jitters. The Mean Green had some new pieces when it came to wide receivers in the rotation.
A few drops proved costly.
Whatever the problem, it’s one the Mean Green has to get fixed by the time it starts playing games it will have a chance to win, whether one believes that time will come this week at home against Tulsa or on Sept. 27 at Rice.

This is a team that must hang its hat on an ability to throw the ball.
Dodge knows it. His players know it.
That’s what made the beginning of Year 2 of the Todd Dodge era so baffling -- UNT wasn’t nearly effective enough doing what it is supposed to do best against Kansas State.

In case anyone is wondering, the reason I am posting these recaps is because one of the first things I do at the end of the weekend is go through the local papers and get their takes on how the games played out, because you usually find tidbits in there that won't necessarily be captured in a box score or in a espn or yahoo 3 sentence game recap. I know not everyone will find these interesting, but hope they help at least a few of you guys out there as you decide on which plays to go after in week 2.

I actually like the Bobcats this week also but probably won't play em unless the line gets to like 35.5 or more, as I think OSU takes control early and then shuts things down in the 2H in preparation for USC, so I could easily see this one playing out to be something like 34-0. After finding that under the radar Arkie State gem so early in week 1, not sure if I should press my luck on another huge dog or not, but if I do, Ohio will be added to the list.

I actually like the Bobcats this week also but probably won't play em unless the line gets to like 35.5 or more, as I think OSU takes control early and then shuts things down in the 2H in preparation for USC, so I could easily see this one playing out to be something like 34-0. After finding that under the radar Arkie State gem so early in week 1, not sure if I should press my luck on another huge dog or not, but if I do, Ohio will be added to the list.

I think it's going to be much more difficult this season to cover these large spreads especially with the run oriented teams. Take for example Kansas which got the ball with nearly 7:00 left in the 4th quarter and drove all the way down to the FIU 6 yard line where time expired. Last year they easily score here and probably cover this big number. The Buckeye's under Tressle have not big a high scoring offensive team.

Great info, BOL this weekend blue. :cheers:

Damn if we didn't squeak one out this past weekend. Not as fired up about Butch and boys as I was. :hang:

love the plays on many myself CB gl bro i think you will be well aheadof the game after this weekend 5-4 is better than 4-5 remember haha. BOL the rest of the way

Good, good stuff as always. On NW big with you and SC. Lean your way on rest of card with exception of Rice... just haven't looked into that one yet.

Tulsa up to 21 now, nice line.

Iowa going to smoke those guys... will probably add that.

Thanks for the comments on Tulsa. Missed the boat on the Rice line move but it happens sometimes....

Most of my plays are made based on the variance of the actual line vs my projected line so it takes me all of 2mins to lock in my plays after the opens are released as I just go down my list and look for the variance of each line, and I also reference any comments I jot down from box scores, local papers, post game notes, injuries etc. Most of my time Saturday night and Sunday morning is spent pulling everything together so that I am ready to roll once the lines open.

A lot of upfront work, but saves me time on Sunday night and allows me to lock in opens on games before most have even started research. This is the main reason I don't play NFL (or watch much of it) by the way, because there is no way I could get everything done if I was busy watching NFL on Sundays.

Best of luck in week 2!

Great info, BOL this weekend blue. :cheers:

Damn if we didn't squeak one out this past weekend. Not as fired up about Butch and boys as I was. :hang:

Remember though that it was 14-0 before the crazy weather delay that kinda took the wind out of our sails as we were feeding off the crowd energy at the start, but once the weather delay rolled it, it killed things off in a hurry. Not too worried at this point, as I really liked the way we came back with 3 straight TDs after falling behind 14-20. Looking forward to seeing what happens vs Rutgers in 2 weeks.

I think it's going to be much more difficult this season to cover these large spreads especially with the run oriented teams. Take for example Kansas which got the ball with nearly 7:00 left in the 4th quarter and drove all the way down to the FIU 6 yard line where time expired. Last year they easily score here and probably cover this big number. The Buckeye's under Tressle have not big a high scoring offensive team.

Yeah, I had the Kansas team total over 44.5, so that last drive was brutal for me. Can't believe KU had 40 going into the 4th but couldn't put 1 TD up on the board the last 15, ouch. Gotta have a short memory in this business though, so not too broken up about it, because I always seem to forget all the plays I win that I really shoulda lost haha.

I think the key to the Ohio game will be for them to establish some sort of running game as Wyoming never let them get anything going so they had to resort to the pass probably more than they would have liked. Also concerned about the special teams as I wouldn't be surprised if OSU runs at least one back vs the Bobcats and that is the kind of thing that kills it when you are trying to hold on and cover a large spread. Haven't locked the play in yet, as it is now at 35 from 34 and I hope it keeps rising so I can get the most value out of it.

Best of luck in week 2, always appreciate the input.

Week 1 Random Ramblings about my plays

USC -19.5
Now this was a fun game to watch from start to finish as it was definitely men against boys out there last Saturday. USC stepped up their game in the 2H just to make it perfectly clear that the backdoor was not only closed, but deadbolted in this one. No worries at all with the -19.5 play. Why can't they all be this easy?

NW -12
A little nerve racking in the 1H as Syracuse actually showed some fight as they did a good job of establishing their running game early on, but as soon as a little adversity hit, they folded like Fondy at a poker table and that was all she wrote. NW showed a number of good signs in this game as they head to Durham this weekend, as their rushing and passing attacks both had their moments. If their defense can step up on 3rd downs and if they can avoid mental errors, this team might surprise a few along the way this year. Gonna keep rollin with the Cats as I got em at -6 on the road this weekend against a Duke squad that is more hype than substance as far as I am concerned.

Rice -2.5
After SMU went up early in this one, I admit I was like wtf, but I also knew that 13 points was not gonna win this game, so I wasn't as worried as I would have been had this been a different matchup. Rice definitely showed their experience and poise in this one, as they didn't get rattled, and they slowed took control of the game, like one would expect an experienced squad to do. June Jones is a good coach, but like I said before the game, it would be won by the experienced guys on the field, and that clearly played itself out on Friday night, as SMU showed their youth and Rice showed their experience and poise in a big way.

Troy -4
Already talked at length about this one. Some may disagree, but I think Troy clearly demonstrated their superiority in this one, as they stepped up their game when it counted, and they were another team that showed poise when faced with adversity. Both teams are pretty young, but Troy demonstrated veteran poise when it mattered, as they didn't get rattled when MTSU had their shots in close. Troy clamped down and made big plays when they had to, and they took control of this game early, with MTSU making a late charge to make the score respectable, but there is clearly a difference in the level of talent between these 2 teams and it showed last weekend.

Arkie State +20.5
I called this one about a month before the season started, just wish I would have had the balls to play the ML like I was joking about with some of the guys online.

Pitt -12
Watched this one at the same time I was watching the NW game, and I have to admit I was feeling good when Pitt went up by 2 TDs early, but then for some godforesaken reason, they abandoned their game plan and things went downhill from there. Not gonna go on about this one, because I am trying to block it out of my memory, although the Tenn game on Monday night caused me to have flashbacks since they were another team that inexplicably went away from a gameplan that was working.

Wisky -26.5
Tons of missed opportunities in this one. Honestly thought I was on the right side, but I lost, so moral victories are meaningless in my book. Plenty of chances inside the redzone that have already been documented, so not gonna complain b/c like I said, it happens sometimes when you roll the dice with the big favs like I do. Over the long run it is a proven winning method for me, but it doesn't make these types of losses sting any less.

Kansas team total over 44.5
See above, enough said. Shoulda had at least 50 in this one, especially with 40 going into the 4th. Between Wisky and Kansas, I was seconds away from breaking another remote, but I managed to control myself even though I was very close to going the Bruce Banner route on Saturday afternoon. On a side note, for all the hype of FIU being greatly improved, they still suck as they couldn't put a full drive together to save their lives, so I am on Iowa this week laying the big chalk yet again.

FAU +24.5
I am an idiot, next. Actually, if FAU would have punched in a couple of those drives they had in the 1st half, this would have been a whold different ballgame, but then again, if my aunt had a penis, she would be my uncle. You get the idea.

TENN -6
I can't believe I stayed up till 12:30am to get teased like that. I can't remember having that level of teasing without a payoff since Prom Night back in 1990. No further comments on this game...ever.

Overall, 5-5 on the week, which is pretty much where I usually shake out in week 1, based on historical trends. Lost some juice when all was said and done, but all in all it was fun just to have cfb back home where it belongs. Kinda like an old friend you haven't seen in a while that you welcome back with open arms. Huge card on tap for week 2, so we will see how things shake out this weekend. Thanks for the great discussion and best of luck in week 2. And don't forget that this is a marathon not a sprint, so don't let things get out of hand, and remember your money management. Whether you go 10-1 or 1-10, don't lose the perspective that one week does not a season make.

Sporadic rain doesn't worry me at all. Both teams know what the other is going to do, and they still won't be able to stop it. If anything, the rain might lead to some mishandling of snaps, which in effect could lead to turnovers. I am expecting a 38-31 type of game either way, with weather having little to no effect on this one.

Friday Night, Sep 5
12.gif

Low: 57 °F RealFeel®: 56 °F
Periods of rain in the evening; otherwise, mostly cloudy

I agree about the rain. My concern is if it is rain and wind to keep Ball from passing so much.

Local Paper Report - Navy

Navy defensive coordinator Buddy Green and Ball State counterpart Mark Smith probably won't get much sleep this week. In fact, the two men are probably having nightmares about how to stop the prolific offense they will face this Friday night.

Green must find a way to slow down Ball State's multiple spread attack, which is triggered by a big-time quarterback in Nate Davis. Meanwhile, Smith will attempt to contain Navy's triple-option offense, which will be directed again this week by quarterback Jarod Bryant.

The Midshipmen and Cardinals engaged in a high-scoring shootout last season and it figures to be more of the same in the rematch at Scheumann Stadium. Both teams return several key weapons and showed plenty of firepower in their respective season openers.

Davis completed 21 of 24 passes for 290 yards and three touchdowns in just three quarters of action to lead Ball State to a 48-14 rout of Northeastern. Standout senior wide receiver Dante Love had nine receptions for 171 yards and a touchdown for the Cardinals, who only punted once in the contest.

Davis and Love are among 11 returning starters from a Ball State offense that averaged 31.5 points and 433 yards per game in 2007. Green and the rest of the Navy coaching staff know the personnel well after watching the Cardinals pile up 539 total yards en route to a 34-31 overtime victory over the Midshipmen.

"They probably have the best offense that we've seen in a while. They've scored a lot of points against a lot of people," Navy head coach Ken Niumatalolo said yesterday. We better strap it on because this is going to be a tough game. They're a good football team."

Davis, a definite pro prospect, already ranks second in Ball State history with 5,932 career passing yards. The 6-foot-2, 217-pound junior owns the career record with 51 touchdown passes.

Davis is coming off a phenomenal sophomore season that saw him named second team All-Mid-American Conference. The Ohio native set single-season school records by throwing for 3,667 yards and 30 touchdowns.
"Nate Davis is a phenomenal quarterback. We definitely have a challenge ahead of us," Niumatalolo said. (Ball State) is pretty balanced. They can run the ball, they can throw the ball."

Ball State also returns tailback MiQuale Lewis, who rushed for a career-high 161 yards against Navy. The diminutive 5-foot-6 speedster also ran for 122 yards against Nebraska before suffering a season-ending knee injury. The junior from nearby Fort Wayne (Ind.) showed he is fully recovered by gaining 95 yards on just 11 carries versus Northeastern.
Love was a first team All-MAC selection last season after piling up 1,398 yards on 100 receptions. He ranks second in school history with 2,489 career receiving yards. The 5-foot-10 speedster burned Navy for a 50-yard touchdown catch in last year's meeting.

Ball State's other big weapon is tight end Darius Hill, who hurt Navy a year ago with six catches for 87 yards and a touchdown. The 6-foot-6, 236-pound senior had 65 catches for 926 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2007 and was a semifinalist for the John Mackey Award that goes to the nation's top tight end.

At the heart of Ball State's dangerous attack is a veteran offensive line anchored by center Dan Gerberry (6-3, 292) and right tackle Robert Brewster (6-5, 310), latter of whom was a first team All-MAC pick in 2007.
Of course, Ball State has its own defensive concerns after allowing Navy to rush for a whopping 521 yards in last season's game. Head coach Brady Hoke isn't resting any easier after watching the Midshipmen pile up 558 yards rushing in their season-opening 41-13 rout of Towson.

"Navy is a tremendous team. The precision with which they play, and how they execute offensively… you know the discipline and demeanor and toughness (the Midshipmen) have in their everyday lives. They have that on the field," Hoke said during his weekly press conference on Sunday.
Hoke watched the Navy-Towson game live and said he hasn't slept since after seeing senior slot back Shun White set a single-game school record with 348 yards rushing. White was named the Walter Camp Football Foundation National Offensive Player of the Week on Sunday.

"No question, he runs really well. When he gets to the perimeter, he's going to outrun most people," Hoke said of White.

Niumatalolo announced on Sunday that Bryant would remain the starter at quarterback against Ball State. The coaching staff is taking a cautious approach with returning starter Kaipo-Noa Kaheaku-Enhada, who is nursing a partially torn hamstring.

Dr. Jeff Fair, the team physician, initially diagnosed that Kaheaku-Enhada would need four to six weeks to properly heal. It has been just over three weeks since Kaheaku-Enhada suffered the injury during an intra-squad scrimmage on Aug. 9.

Bryant played in the second half of last year's game against Ball State and rushed for 77 yards on 13 carries. Kaheaku-Enhada broke an 80-yard touchdown run against the Cardinals before leaving the contest with two sprained ankles.

"Either one of those guys functions well in their offense," Hoke said of Navy's two quarterbacks. "We didn't stop (Navy) last year, let's put it that way."

I agree about the rain. My concern is if it is rain and wind to keep Ball from passing so much.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying. I am usually more worried about wind than rain, unless we are talking torrential rainstorms or something, but that won't be the case on Friday night. Looking at the wind reports, I don't see anything out of the ordinary for Muncie, but I definitely expect things to be interesting up and down the coast with Hanna on her way. Not expecting to get much other than rain here in Charlotte, but who knows how things may shake out.

Yeah, doesn't look too bad 5-10 mph winds at most.

Carolinas look bad for Saturday. Rain and 20 mph winds.

Yeah, doesn't look too bad 5-10 mph winds at most.

Carolinas look bad for Saturday. Rain and 20 mph winds.

Interesting to note the residual effect of Gustav, as a lot of rain is expected in the midwest over the next few days, so may cause some unders to come in on games some may not be thinking about, if the rain sticks around and the field is in rough shape come Saturday for those games across the plains and Midwest.

GusRain090308.jpg

ECU v WVU total at 50 is interesting b/c Friday is forecasted to be a mess, but Saturday is supposed to be fine. Obviously depends on which way the storm turns, so hard to pick a side on the total, but the under is a little tempting based on the potential forecast that could be in play heading into the weekend. The Saturday forecast completely throws me for a loop though, so no play for me.

Friday, Sep 5
<SELECT class=textsmall style="MARGIN-LEFT: 150px" onchange="MM_jumpMenu('parent',this,0);" name=day> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=&zipcode=27833&metric=0 selected>Select a Different Day</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=1&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Wednesday 9/3</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=2&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Thursday 9/4</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=3&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Friday 9/5</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=4&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Saturday 9/6</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=5&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Sunday 9/7</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=6&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Monday 9/8</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/forecast-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=7&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Tuesday 9/9</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/premium-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=8&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Wednesday 9/10 on premium</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/premium-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=9&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Thursday 9/11 on premium</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/premium-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=10&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Friday 9/12 on premium</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/premium-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=11&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Saturday 9/13 on premium</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/premium-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=12&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Sunday 9/14 on premium</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/premium-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=13&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Monday 9/15 on premium</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/premium-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=14&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Tuesday 9/16 on premium</OPTION> <OPTION class=textsmall value=http://www.accuweather.com/premium-details.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&zipChg=1&fday=15&zipcode=27833&metric=0>Wednesday 9/17 on premium</OPTION></SELECT>

Day
18.gif

High: 84°F RealFeel®: 79°F
As a hurricane, Hanna will affect the area with heavy rain and damaging winds

<TABLE id=Table1 style="WIDTH: 95%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 11px; WIDTH: 150px">Winds:</TD><TD class=detailRight>ENE at 55mph</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 11px; WIDTH: 150px">Wind Gusts:</TD><TD class=detailRight>106 mph</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 11px; WIDTH: 150px">Max UV Index:</TD><TD class=detailRight>Moderate (3)</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 11px; WIDTH: 150px">Thunderstorm Probability:</TD><TD class=detailRight>40%</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 11px; WIDTH: 150px">Amount of Precipitation:</TD><TD class=detailRight>1.88in</TD></TR><TR><TD style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 11px; WIDTH: 150px">Amount of Rain:</TD><TD class=detailRight>1.88in</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Friday, Sep 5
18.gif

High: 84 °F RealFeel®: 79 °F
As a hurricane, Hanna will affect the area with heavy rain and damaging winds

Friday Night, Sep 5
18.gif

Low: 75 °F RealFeel®: 74 °F
Hurricane could affect the weather; plenty of clouds

starGazing.gif

Stargazing conditions

Forecast Details | Hourly Forecast for Friday | Hourly Forecast for Friday Night | AccuPOP® Precipitation Forecast
Saturday, Sep 6
04.gif

High: 87 °F RealFeel®: 88 °F
Breezy with clouds breaking for some sun

Saturday Night, Sep 6
35.gif

Low: 71 °F RealFeel®: 74 °F
Partly cloudy and humid

First off, great thread.

Second, can you give me a little insight on your USF play? I was leaning USF too but this is a sort of rivalry game, revenge mode for UCF (got thrashed last year 62-14? at USF) and USF is definitely the better team. Maybe I answered my own questions but like to hear your thoughts. Thought this line would be near 17. My book now has it at 13.5. Thanks in advance.

GL this week with your plays.

Back