Can we get at least one close game on January 2nd?

Bad match-ups from the selection committee + playoff games on NYE = tv ratings disaster. Playoff ratings were down 36%.

Hopefully this will force things to be adjusted for next year.

and were they all in your favor albert?

It probably works out better either way.

I'd rather get crushed on a game I had no business winning then lose with the right side on some stressed-out down to the wire deal.

and were they all in your favor albert?

No.Only bet Michigan and OSU, but even if I had lost a few, I'd rather they be blowouts. A blowout doesn't hurt losing...a game you are covering by a few points, then losing by a few points, back and forth until the end are the ones that take years off the life. I'd prefer blowouts.

i prefer the blowouts to the spread too because I am going to be on the right side of that more than the wrong side but I hate that these games are so lopsided from a fan perspective, not that I am a huge fan of the sport anymore. Just waiting for them to pay the players (officially, and more than the education and extra perks) so I can give up on it altogether (and i will).

Bad match-ups from the selection committee + playoff games on NYE = tv ratings disaster. Playoff ratings were down 36%.

NYE is a Saturday next season, so they should be fine. Blame the Rose Bowl, they refuse to move from that time on NYD

To be fair, the parade is more important than the game there. SoCal likes futbol not football

Gonna be on New Years Eve something like 8 of 11 or 9 of 12 years...

Rose Bowl years they play on January 1st

We are not getting playoff games on New Years again till 2017-2018 season, then 2020-2021

A playoff game starting while half the country is still at work is never good for ratings. I wish they would move the championship game off Monday nights though.

wonder if the ratings change that though

37% drop or whatever it was can't be ignored

Two things there from how I have read it through various articles...

1. They want to make this a new tradition. One year isn't going to establish that at all.

2. The problem is the Rose Bowl won't back away from their January 1st, 5:00pm eastern start time(unless the 1st falls on a Sunday then the game is played on the 2nd). Thee same goes with the primetime slot for Sugar Bowl. The contract precedes the college football playoff.

the tradition thing I saw, and it's insane

they want it a holiday tradition, it's not a holiday

it's not even something that's good for the east coast because of the 2nd game ending at 11 or later, so unless they are chasing that under 14 and over 65 demo, it's insane

ESPN already profits going way down, when it comes time to renew this contract something has to be done

ESPN has reached a 12-year agreement with the Southeastern and Big 12 conferences for the rights to air the Allstate Sugar Bowl in New Orleans across multiple platforms through 2026.
The agreement begins in January 2015 with the inaugural game between the SEC and Big 12 champions. Each year, the Sugar Bowl, previously referred to as the Champions Bowl, will be played Jan. 1 in prime time.

And same goes for Rose...

I don't think they had a choice for the NYE games. It won't be like that for 6 more years I guess?

Next years the semis will be on New Years Eve but at least it is a Saturday with the other three games on the 2nd due to NFL.

The year after...the first 3 are played on the 30th since New Years Eve is on an NFL Sunday...

Then the year after it is back to New Years Day since Rose/Sugar are the semis.

Sorry didn't see all the responses. Deleted my post.

Im not complaining. This bowl season was very profitable. And that's really all that matters at the end of the day.

Through the contract, there are three instances of being played on New Years Day. That is it.

It cannot change due to Rose and Sugar contracts.

I'm always for more Bowl games but what we've seen from having more is a deluded pool. Anyone still think the SEC is down? Superior athletes shined from the SEC.

Have we had a more lopsided bowl season in a long time? This has been insane. SEC got some pretty favorable bowl match ups this year.

Think we may see a good one in TCU/Oreg today. And then hopefully the champ game. Worst bowl season from an fan/excitement standpoint (but best from a betting standpoint) I can remember.

Don't think K-State is going to offer a close game today....sorry.

I think TCU/Oregon will be a good one. TCU backup is capable.

Well Penn State won't be close. They are done.

Next up kansas state

The books have to be getting slaughtered with every favorite covering.

The books have to be getting slaughtered with every over cashing.

The first half total was 21 in the game this morning with uga/psu. Even that almost went over despite both offenses doing zero.

Two things there from how I have read it through various articles...

1. They want to make this a new tradition. One year isn't going to establish that at all.

2. The problem is the Rose Bowl won't back away from their January 1st, 5:00pm eastern start time(unless the 1st falls on a Sunday then the game is played on the 2nd). Thee same goes with the primetime slot for Sugar Bowl. The contract precedes the college football playoff.

I'm so tired of the fucking Rose Bowl....

It's incredible that the Rose Bowl could hold these other mega entities hostage.

I'm always for more Bowl games but what we've seen from having more is a deluded pool. Anyone still think the SEC is down? Superior athletes shined from the SEC.

beat 7-5 Penn State - 4th in B10 East
beat 6-6 Kansas State - 8th in the B12, finished behind Texas
beat 7-5 Texas Tech - 6th in B12 and couldn't stop a high school team
beat 9-3 Memphis - 3rd in a division in a group of 5 conference
beat 7-5 NC State - 4th in ACC Atlantic
beat 10-2 Okie State - 2nd in B12
lost to Louisville - 3rd in ACC Atantic
smacked MSU - B10 Champs
Lost to Michigan - 3rd in Big 10 East
Beat Northwestern - 2nd in B10 West

Record looks good, but it really wasn't. Pac12 North was horrid all season and they were the biggest bowl comeback in history away from being 5-0 in bowls

Next years the semis will be on New Years Eve but at least it is a Saturday with the other three games on the 2nd due to NFL.

The year after...the first 3 are played on the 30th since New Years Eve is on an NFL Sunday...

Then the year after it is back to New Years Day since Rose/Sugar are the semis.

It's not going to really matter what day NYE is on. This is a disaster. I can't believe no one at ESPN realized it immediately. I understand the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl, but why not host the playoff games on Jan 2? People work on NYE and people go out on NYE. I understand Jan 2 isn't a holiday either, but you have a far better chance at people planning to watch it rather then not. They aren't sitting at home with the family watching college football on NYE. The whole thing is the definition of idiocy

It's not going to really matter what day NYE is on. This is a disaster. I can't believe no one at ESPN realized it immediately. I understand the Rose Bowl and Sugar Bowl, but why not host the playoff games on Jan 2? People work on NYE and people go out on NYE. I understand Jan 2 isn't a holiday either, but you have a far better chance at people planning to watch it rather then not. They aren't sitting at home with the family watching college football on NYE. The whole thing is the definition of idiocy

Well, the solution in my mind is pretty easy. They had primetime games after New Years for years now.

With that being said, you need to get them to budge off having the championship game on a 'Monday'. That is big to them. You need to be able to use the Monday-Thursday slots....that way you can play one semifinal say on 3rd and another on the 4th...then play championship game on 11th or 12th (USING NEXT YEAR AS AN EXAMPLE)

Well, Rose and Sugar.

They beat the punch to the new system.

The Rose is the problem and always has been, going back to the old systems.

The Rose, it has always been the Rose

The Sugar just said, "fuck it, we ain't moving if the never will"

Pretty sure ESPN told them how bad it would be, the playoff committee just didn't listen

VK you got a close game in the WVU/AZSt game... Too bad it was what you hate in an 80 point game lol

VK you got a close game in the WVU/AZSt game... Too bad it was what you hate in an 80 point game lol

That and TCU/Oregon...

I was working/watching games kinda laughing thinking Kyle must be having a fit about things...

While nye was a mistake to put the games on , I think they would have been worse than last year ( ratings)had you had them on New Year's Day . Look at the teams you had last year compared to this year plus you had Marriota and Winston in one game

That and TCU/Oregon...

I was working/watching games kinda laughing thinking Kyle must be having a fit about things...
It was like the football Gods were spiting him. Lets make it close but near 100 points so he wants to turn it off...

Nice to know my pain brings others such joy. And I thought my dominatrix was the only one who understood me ....

CFB Semifinals on NYE - More Heat. No Change

Jesus, Bill Hancock is a stubborn of a bitch. Interesting read below about how ESPN took a complete bath with advertisers last Thursday.

The CFP’s Hancock told The New York Times this week, “We don’t make decisions based on television numbers. I don’t have a TV number that influences my measurable for success.”
Yet, today Hancock announced that no changes would be be made and next year's CFB semis would again be on NYE.

http://deadspin.com/the-college-football-playoffs-idiotic-scheduling-is-scr-1751860732

Back