Calling Jimmydafreak part deux....

Jimmy (or anyone with valuable insight for that matter),

Line has opened at Betonline making Alabama 11 point favorites. Would love to hear your thoughts and insights before the line steams. Thanks!

i'm not jimmy but he said he would already unload the bricks on bama if the spread was under 14

i'm not jimmy but he said he would already unload the bricks on bama if the spread was under 14

Yea, I actually think he said under 17, but that was 2 weeks ago before they seemed to struggle early against Miss St. I am just seeing if his opinon has changed due to that.

Yea, I actually think he said under 17, but that was 2 weeks ago before they seemed to struggle early against Miss St. I am just seeing if his opinon has changed due to that.

I don't see anything that has happened in the last 2 weeks that should change one's opinion concerning Alabama or Auburn. Also not Jimmy, but will give some thoughts:

I don't think this is a particularly good matchup for Auburn, but they are at home, and their HFA is underrated by most. Lost in the celebration and constant replays of the Hail Mary vs UGA, is the fact that Aub blew a 20 point 4th quarter lead. Their defense, particularly the back 7 is not good. Their strength is the DL that are quick and do a good job getting after the QB. Ellis Johnson's defense typically are a bend and don't break type defense. They will give up the intermediate area, particularly in the middle of the field while playing the DBs back and being aggressive with the DL and blitzing. Teams that have success are the ones that are determined and capable of taking what they are given and not forcing things. Once a ground game is established and the defense has to commit another defender in the box, that's when the deeper pass routes become a bigger threat. However, I'd expect AU to start out by stacking the box to take away the run. At least that has been their MO the last 5 seasons. For Alabama, I'd expect Kevin Norwood and OJ Howard to be big pieces of the early offensive gameplan, with Yeldon and Drake playing a bigger role once the defense loosens up a bit.

On offense, AU's success is defined by tempo, execution, and exploiting mismatches. They are able to run various formations with the same personnel, which makes them a matchup issue once they start getting 1st downs. Alabama in particular likes to substitute often based on down, distance, and offensive personnel, so this is an area that AU will try to exploit. Where Alabama should be able to counter is with great gap discipline and the ability to tackle in one on one situations. This was UGA's biggest failure in the first 3 quarters of their game. CJ Mosely and Landon Collins are critical for Alabama on defense, and if they play a good to great game, the Alabama defense will have a great game.

Special teams could play an important role in this game, and both teams are pretty good. AU's PK is one of the best in the country and is a touchback machine on kickoffs. Alabama has their best return and coverage units in the Saban era. Both teams have returners that can influence the field position battle, as well as take one for a score. Landon Collins has been especially awesome on coverage units. LSU actually double and sometimes triple teamed him on kick returns. It wasn't mentioned on the CBS broadcast, but on the kick returns, Beckham took a knee when Collins was allowed to run free, and ran it out when he was well blocked. A couple of those turned into big returns. Don't know if AU will do the same, but it wouldn't surprise me. Cody Mandell has also been a bright spot for Alabama, doing a great job of flipping fields or pinning teams inside their own 15. Admittedly don't know much about AU's punter.

There are some intangibles that I feel favor Alabama. For one, this is no longer a "nothing to lose, let's throw the kitchen sink at them" game for Auburn. They potentially have as much to lose as Alabama does. Because of this, I don't think we'll see Malzahn dial up a bunch of trick plays and onside kicks like he has done the last few times he coached against Alabama. While they will no doubt be jacked for the game, I could see a tighter AU team than we'd expect. Alabama's experience in big games can't be overlooked either. This is the same team that won in a hostile, electric College Station early in the year, and a lot of these players went into Baton Rouge last year in a night game and pulled out a win. They won't be overwhelmed by the atmosphere and situation. I also expect McCarron to show more poise when things don't go well than Marshall for AU.

All of this is of course coming from an Alabama fan, so take it with as big a grain of salt as you wish. I try to be as unbiased as I can on a board that is dedicated to making money and not the fan-speak and homerism on message boards like Rivals. Ten points seems like a lot in a rivalry game with 2 teams in the top 5, and it is. If Alabama gets up early, I think it will be a blowout. If AU is able to go up a couple of scores early, they have a puncher's chance of pulling off the upset, and certainly of keeping it within the line. Personally, I think Alabama is a much better team in pretty much every area, and will win a game that may appear close but was never really in doubt, similar to the aTm game earlier this year. I'm predicting 38-21

I don't see anything that has happened in the last 2 weeks that should change one's opinion concerning Alabama or Auburn. Also not Jimmy, but will give some thoughts:

I don't think this is a particularly good matchup for Auburn, but they are at home, and their HFA is underrated by most. Lost in the celebration and constant replays of the Hail Mary vs UGA, is the fact that Aub blew a 20 point 4th quarter lead. Their defense, particularly the back 7 is not good. Their strength is the DL that are quick and do a good job getting after the QB. Ellis Johnson's defense typically are a bend and don't break type defense. They will give up the intermediate area, particularly in the middle of the field while playing the DBs back and being aggressive with the DL and blitzing. Teams that have success are the ones that are determined and capable of taking what they are given and not forcing things. Once a ground game is established and the defense has to commit another defender in the box, that's when the deeper pass routes become a bigger threat. However, I'd expect AU to start out by stacking the box to take away the run. At least that has been their MO the last 5 seasons. For Alabama, I'd expect Kevin Norwood and OJ Howard to be big pieces of the early offensive gameplan, with Yeldon and Drake playing a bigger role once the defense loosens up a bit.

On offense, AU's success is defined by tempo, execution, and exploiting mismatches. They are able to run various formations with the same personnel, which makes them a matchup issue once they start getting 1st downs. Alabama in particular likes to substitute often based on down, distance, and offensive personnel, so this is an area that AU will try to exploit. Where Alabama should be able to counter is with great gap discipline and the ability to tackle in one on one situations. This was UGA's biggest failure in the first 3 quarters of their game. CJ Mosely and Landon Collins are critical for Alabama on defense, and if they play a good to great game, the Alabama defense will have a great game.

Special teams could play an important role in this game, and both teams are pretty good. AU's PK is one of the best in the country and is a touchback machine on kickoffs. Alabama has their best return and coverage units in the Saban era. Both teams have returners that can influence the field position battle, as well as take one for a score. Landon Collins has been especially awesome on coverage units. LSU actually double and sometimes triple teamed him on kick returns. It wasn't mentioned on the CBS broadcast, but on the kick returns, Beckham took a knee when Collins was allowed to run free, and ran it out when he was well blocked. A couple of those turned into big returns. Don't know if AU will do the same, but it wouldn't surprise me. Cody Mandell has also been a bright spot for Alabama, doing a great job of flipping fields or pinning teams inside their own 15. Admittedly don't know much about AU's punter.

There are some intangibles that I feel favor Alabama. For one, this is no longer a "nothing to lose, let's throw the kitchen sink at them" game for Auburn. They potentially have as much to lose as Alabama does. Because of this, I don't think we'll see Malzahn dial up a bunch of trick plays and onside kicks like he has done the last few times he coached against Alabama. While they will no doubt be jacked for the game, I could see a tighter AU team than we'd expect. Alabama's experience in big games can't be overlooked either. This is the same team that won in a hostile, electric College Station early in the year, and a lot of these players went into Baton Rouge last year in a night game and pulled out a win. They won't be overwhelmed by the atmosphere and situation. I also expect McCarron to show more poise when things don't go well than Marshall for AU.

All of this is of course coming from an Alabama fan, so take it with as big a grain of salt as you wish. I try to be as unbiased as I can on a board that is dedicated to making money and not the fan-speak and homerism on message boards like Rivals. Ten points seems like a lot in a rivalry game with 2 teams in the top 5, and it is. If Alabama gets up early, I think it will be a blowout. If AU is able to go up a couple of scores early, they have a puncher's chance of pulling off the upset, and certainly of keeping it within the line. Personally, I think Alabama is a much better team in pretty much every area, and will win a game that may appear close but was never really in doubt, similar to the aTm game earlier this year. I'm predicting 38-21

Fabulous write-up gps, and as usual, I pretty agree with everything you've said. I will add that Alabama lost a significant piece to their special teams units when Vinnie Sunseri went out for the season. He was a kamikaze on the coverage teams. That said, Alabama still has tremendous talent on their special team units. I mentioned this before the Virginia Tech game. I said the Alabama's special team units versus Virginia Tech's special teams unit is a talent mismatch. The reason that is so is because Saban has amassed so much talent on the roster that these super talented newbies have to make their mark on special teams if they expect to climb up the depth chart - guys like 5* safety Landon Collins is a perfect example. He would have been starting Day 1 at virtually any other school in the nation, but at Alabama he had to earn his playing time via special teams.

I also agree with you that the unsung heros of the Auburn football team are the offensive and defensive lines, and while I don't think it will have any dramatic effect on the ultimate outcome of the game, Auburn being at home should definitely allow them to be a little more at ease.

Aside from Malzahn, Auburn has a very good and experienced coaching staff. I watched one of Auburn's spring practices and observed that Malzahn and the coaching staff were really making an effort to do things the right way. I knew this would be a much improved team this season, but I never expected them to enter the Iron Bowl at 10 & 1 and playing for the SEC West crown. I thought with their QB situation such as it is, 7 (regular season) wins would have been about the high-water mark for this team. I thought a 6 or 7 win season would be a springboard to bigger and better things in subsequent years. The fact that Malzahn has been able to take this team as far as he has without a legitimate passing threat at the QB position is simply amazing, and he is certainly worthy of coach-of-the-year honors for that reason alone.

That said, Malzahn has never had any success running the ball against Alabama, and I would expect that to continue this season. In 2009 Auburn rushed the ball 32 times for 151 yards for a 4.7 ypc average. One of those rushes, however, was a rather flukey 67-yard run by WR Terrell Zachery on Auburn's 4th play from scrimmage. Auburn ran that same play on at least two other occasions later in the game, and both times it went for negative yardage.

Without that 67-yard run, Auburn rushed the ball 31 times for 84 yards, or 2.7 ypc. As you'll see, the 2.7 ypc is much more representative of Auburn's true ability to run against a Saban coached defense.

When Cam Newton came to Tuscaloosa the following season (2010), Auburn rushed for 69 yards on 30 carries, or 2.3 ypc. And in 2011 a Cam Newton-less Auburn team rushed for 78 yards on 35 carries (2.2 ypc).

The cumulative rushing totals for these three games are 97 rushes for 298 yards, or 3.1 ypc. If we subtract the one fluke run for 67 yards, we have 96 rushes for 231 yards, or 2.4 ypc.

Expect the same type of rushing production out of Auburn in this game: less than 100 yards and a per rush average in the low 2s. As in years past, Alabama will again take away Auburn's rushing attack. The only real shot that Auburn has to move the ball effectively is through the air like Cam Newton did, and I don't believe Auburn is capable of doing that on a sustained basis. The bottom line is that Auburn will have to make a lot of plays in the passing game if the have any chance of making this a competitive football game.

Auburn's offense versus Alabama's defense sets up very similar to LSU's one-dimensional offense versus Alabama's defense in the 2011 national title game. Alabama knew that if they took away LSU's rushing attack, Jordan Jefferson could not beat them passing the ball. At least on that side of the ball, this game sets up exactly the same way.

I think both offenses will start off the game trying to loosen up the opposing defenses via the passing game, particularly Auburn. I think Malzahn will open the game with some safe throws for Marshall. I think this will prove to be a successful strategy, and I would not be shocked to see Auburn score on their fist possession. After that I expect Alabama's defense to make some adjustments and locked down the Auburn offense for pretty much the remainder of the game.

While this game certainly has shutout potential, I'll give Auburn credit for a couple of scores - 2 field goals, 2 touchdowns, or some combination thereof. I think that's pretty much the best case scenario for Auburn, and of course 14 points won't be nearly enough to win or cover this game.

Conversely, when Alabama decides to dial up the full capabilities of their offense, they're about as unstoppable as there is in college football. For Auburn to have any hope of slowing Alabama down, their defensive line will have to play lights out. If McCarron is able to deliver the ball to his receivers in rhythm, the back end of Auburn's defense really has little chance of slowing down Alabama's athletes. And if Alabama is able to stretch the field with the passing game, that will open it up for Alabama's running backs to make some big plays in the running game.

If you can get this line under 14 (currently 10 @ BM), back up the Brinks truck in your bookie's driveway and unload. I think there is really very little chance this will be a competitive football game. Ultimately I think we'll see a final score of something in the 45-10 range.

Last edited:

Fabulous write-up gps, and as usual, I pretty agree with everything you've said. I will add that Alabama lost a significant piece to their special teams units when Vinnie Sunseri went out for the season. He was a kamikaze on the coverage teams. That said, Alabama still has tremendous talent on their special team units. I mentioned this before the Virginia Tech game. I said the Alabama's special team units versus Virginia Tech's special teams unit is a talent mismatch. The reason that is so is because Saban has amassed so much talent on the roster that these super talented newbies have to make their mark on special teams if they expect to climb up the depth chart - guys like 5* safety Landon Collins is a perfect example. He would have been starting Day 1 at virtually any other school in the nation, but at Alabama he had to earn his playing time via special teams.

I also agree with you that the unsung heros of the Auburn football team are the offensive and defensive lines, and while I don't think it will have any dramatic effect on the ultimate outcome of the game, Auburn being at home should definitely allow them to be a little more at ease.

Aside from Malzahn, Auburn has a very good and experienced coaching staff. I watched one of Auburn's spring practices and observed that Malzahn and the coaching staff were really making an effort to do things the right way. I knew this would be a much improved team this season, but I never expected them to enter the Iron Bowl at 10 & 1 and playing for the SEC West crown. I thought with their QB situation such as it is, 7 (regular season) wins would have been about the high-water mark for this team. I thought a 6 or 7 win season would be a springboard to bigger and better things in subsequent years. The fact that Malzahn has been able to take this team as far as he has without a legitimate passing threat at the QB position is simply amazing, and he is certainly worthy of coach-of-the-year honors for that reason alone.

That said, Malzahn has never had any success running the ball against Alabama, and I would expect that to continue this season. In 2009 Auburn rushed the ball 32 times for 151 yards for a 4.7 ypc average. One of those rushes, however, was a rather flukey 67-yard run by WR Terrell Zachery on Auburn's 4th play from scrimmage. Auburn ran that same play on at least two other occasions later in the game, and both times it went for negative yardage.

Without that 67-yard run, Auburn rushed the ball 31 times for 84 yards, or 2.7 ypc. As you'll see, the 2.7 ypc is much more representative of Auburn's true ability to run against a Saban coached defense.

When Cam Newton came to Tuscaloosa the following season (2010), Auburn rushed for 69 yards on 30 carries, or 2.3 ypc. And in 2011 a Cam Newton-less Auburn team rushed for 78 yards on 35 carries (2.2 ypc).

The cumulative rushing totals for these three games are 97 rushes for 298 yards, or 3.1 ypc. If we subtract the one fluke run for 67 yards, we have 96 rushes for 231 yards, or 2.4 ypc.

Expect the same type of rushing production out of Auburn in this game: less than 100 yards and a per rush average in the low 2s. As in years past, Alabama will again take away Auburn's rushing attack. The only real shot that Auburn has to move the ball effectively is through the air like Cam Newton did, and I don't believe Auburn is capable of doing that on a sustained basis. The bottom line is that Auburn will have to make a lot of plays in the passing game if the have any chance of making this a competitive football game.

Auburn's offense versus Alabama's defense sets up very similar to LSU's one-dimensional offense versus Alabama's defense in the 2011 national title game. Alabama knew that if they took away LSU's rushing attack, Jordan Jefferson could not beat them passing the ball. At least on that side of the ball, this game sets up exactly the same way.

I think both offenses will start off the game trying to loosen up the opposing defenses via the passing game, particularly Auburn. I think Malzahn will open the game with some safe throws for Marshall. I think this will prove to be a successful strategy, and I would not be shocked to see Auburn score on their fist possession. After that I expect Alabama's defense to make some adjustments and locked down the Auburn offense for pretty much the remainder of the game.

While this game certainly has shutout potential, I'll give Auburn credit for a couple of scores - 2 field goals, 2 touchdowns, or some combination thereof. I think that's pretty much the best case scenario for Auburn, and of course 14 points won't be nearly enough to win or cover this game.

Conversely, when Alabama decides to dial up the full capabilities of their offense, they're about as unstoppable as there is in college football. For Auburn to have any hope of slowing Alabama down, their defensive line will have to play lights out. If McCarron is able to deliver the ball to his receivers in rhythm, the back end of Auburn's defense really has little chance of slowing down Alabama's athletes. And if Alabama is able to stretch the field with the passing game, that will open it up for Alabama's running backs to make some big plays in the running game.

If you can get this line under 14 (currently 10 @ BM), back up the Brinks truck in your bookie's driveway and unload. I think there is really very little chance this will be a competitive football game. Ultimately I think we'll see a final score of something in the 45-10 range.

stellar write ups!

One note, I think AU's run blocking is better than at any time when Gus was there as OC. Cam was a beast, but it wasn't because of great OL blocking most of the time. If as Jimmy predicts, AU runs for under 100 yards, or even 150, Alabama will win by 30+

One note, I think AU's run blocking is better than at any time when Gus was there as OC. Cam was a beast, but it wasn't because of great OL blocking most of the time. If as Jimmy predicts, AU runs for under 100 yards, or even 150, Alabama will win by 30+

I disagree that Auburn's run blocking is better than the senior laden line that Cam ran behind. This year's line is very good no doubt, but the 2010 line was one of (if not) the best in Auburn history.

too bad Alabama' offense has the potential to suck ass. 31 against Colorado State and 23 against Miss State is pretty pathetic. Not to mention the clunker against Vtech at the beginning of the season. Defense is stout though.

too bad Alabama' offense has the potential to suck ass. 31 against Colorado State and 23 against Miss State is pretty pathetic. Not to mention the clunker against Vtech at the beginning of the season. Defense is stout though.

Looking at conference games only, Alabama leads the sec in ypp on offense as well as defense, and is second behind aTm in ppg.

Ya that is pointing out games that are in let down spots that Bama pretty much didn't care about. I'd look at their offense against games they had time to prepare for and came out motivated....notably A&M and LSU

Pretty sure the season opener was important. The game against Miss St was important considering they lost last year after beating LSU.

Pretty sure the season opener was important. The game against Miss St was important considering they lost last year after beating LSU.

You didn't mention the season opener. In that one Alabama scored 35 against the 9th best team in points given up in the country. And considering all games, Alabama still averages more points per than auburn. Speaking of miss st, auburn rushed for 120 yards against them.

You didn't mention the season opener. In that one Alabama scored 35 against the 9th best team in points given up in the country. And considering all games, Alabama still averages more points per than auburn. Speaking of miss st, auburn rushed for 120 yards against them.

I was about to say the same thing, but he did mention the VT game in his comment.

Not to mention the clunker against Vtech at the beginning of the season.

His point may be that, in that game, Alabama scored 3 non-offensive TDs, so they essentially scored 14 pts against that defense.

I was about to say the same thing, but he did mention the VT game in his comment.

Not to mention the clunker against Vtech at the beginning of the season.

His point may be that, in that game, Alabama scored 3 non-offensive TDs, so they essentially scored 14 pts against that defense.

Yeah missed that too. Was just saying...

Getting too homerific in here, will stop posting in response to posts driven by fandom instead of finding an angle on this particular game. My apologies

If we're going all the way back to week 1 then Auburn shouldn't have beat Washington State. Both teams are very different now.

Yeah missed that too. Was just saying...

Getting too homerific in here, will stop posting in response to posts driven by fandom instead of finding an angle on this particular game. My apologies

Agree with you.

I think Alabama handles Auburn quite easily on their way to their 3rd straight MNC.

Will agree with you on the Mississippi State game. They played somewhat vanilla in that game, but the salient issue was Alabama's 4 turnovers. Against Virginia Tech and Colorado State they played ridiculously vanilla. It was borderline comical. That's why I qualified my remarks by saying "when Alabama decides to dial up the full capabilities of their offense." They will most certainly do so in this game.

People will fail to make money in this game until they learn to put the blinders down, and throw emotion out the window.

It is obvious people want to see Bama lose, they don't necessarily believe it.

Every week we see another Bama going to lose thread from multiple posters on multiple boards. I don't see any of these people applying logic, or similar situations to assist in drawing a more clear conclusion, or anything relevant for that matter.

If people were to think with a clear head about this game, they'd realize that Auburn has virtually no chance to win. One might say, "than why is the line only 10.5?", which many have. Easy, lines are created in order to capture balanced action on each side to ensure the book takes home a profit, in rare cases, they may take a position on one side. This line is where it is because a lot of people are overvaluing Auburn and undervaluing Bama based on recent/full season performance, but it's simply a bad way to cap. Football relies a lot on match ups and X's and O's. You can't say, for example, that Georgia beat Tennessee by 20, and Tennessee beat Vandy by 10, therefore Georgia has to win by 24+. A lot of people do actually do this, but it's completely asinine.

By placing your hard earned money on Auburn, what you're basically saying or supporting, is that Nick Marshall will have tremendous success throwing the ball, and I'm sorry, but that's beyond hilarious.

Would you be shocked if I told you this was an absolute dream match up for Bama? Well, I guess some people should be shocked. So many people are saying that this is the last team Saban wants to face right now, excuse me? If he had to pick ny top 5 team to play, it would be Auburn because it plays into the strengths of Bama's defense. A team that relies completely on the run game, and a QB that averages less than 20 pass attempts per game. Bama's D and Saban are licking their chops even thinking about this match up.

Bama has had 3 weeks to prepare for Auburn, and I'm certain they have. One may argue that Auburn has been doing the same, but that's irrelevant. Auburn is physically outmatched everywhere on the field, and their secondary has 0% chance of stopping McCarron and the passing game. Once Yeldon/Drake rip off a couple of double digit yardage type of runs, Auburn is going to implode, they won't know what to do. Do they protect over the top, or do they commit to stopping the run?

I wish I had the time keep going but I just don't right now. I'll add some more thoughts tonight and finish this mess I've started.

People will fail to make money in this game until they learn to put the blinders down, and throw emotion out the window.

Every week we see another Bama going to lose thread from multiple posters on multiple boards. I don't see any of these people applying logic, or similar situations to assist in drawing a more clear conclusion, or anything relevant for that matter.

If people were to think with a clear head about this game, they'd realize that Auburn has virtually no chance to win. One might say, "than why is the line only 10.5?", which many have. Easy, lines are created in order to capture balanced action on each side to ensure the book takes home a profit, in rare cases, they may take a position on one side. This line is where it is because a lot of people are overvaluing Auburn and undervaluing Bama based on recent/full season performance, but it's simply a bad way to cap. Football relies a lot on match ups and X's and O's. You can't say, for example, that Georgia beat Tennessee by 20, and Tennessee beat Vandy by 10, therefore Georgia has to win by 24+. A lot of people do actually do this, but it's completely asinine.

By placing your hard earned money on Auburn, what you're basically saying or supporting, is that Nick Marshall will have tremendous success throwing the ball, and I'm sorry, but that's beyond hilarious.

Would you be shocked if I told you this was an absolute dream match up for Bama? Well, I guess some people should be shocked. So many people are saying that this is the last team Saban wants to face right now, excuse me? If he had to pick ny top 5 team to play, it would be Auburn because it plays into the strengths of Bama's defense. A team that relies completely on the run game, and a QB that averages less than 20 pass attempts per game. Bama's D and Saban are licking their chops even thinking about this match up.

Bama has had 3 weeks to prepare for Auburn, and I'm certain they have. One may argue that Auburn has been doing the same, but that's irrelevant. Auburn is physically outmatched everywhere on the field, and their secondary has 0% chance of stopping McCarron and the passing game. Once Yeldon/Drake rip off a couple of double digit yardage type of runs, Auburn is going to implode, they won't know what to do. Do they protect over the top, or do they commit to stopping the run?

I wish I had the time keep going but I just don't right now. I'll add some more thoughts tonight and finish this mess I've started.

Good post for you first one. I will say that "lines are created in order to ensure equal action" is a complete myth, and a myth that's been talked about a bunch on this site as well as other places...Chad Millman has talked about it a few times on his podcast with Vegas linesmakers. That's only one little part of your post though, and it's a very good, well thought out post.

It's amazing to me how many people buy into the "equal action on both sides, so the book makes juice" myth. Looking past the fact that it would be virtually impossible due to the number of games, it makes no sense from a business standpoint. Lines may move to even out the action as an insurance policy for the book, but that's it. There simply isn't the volume of bets necessary for Vegas/online books/bookies/etc to make money that way. If we say the average bet is $100 nationwide or worldwide or whatever, you think those casinos in Vegas are setting lines trying to make $10 per bet on whichever side loses? Even if it's $1000, it's going to take a long time to build another casino making $100 at a time.

Back to the topic at hand, when is the last time a great offense beat a team with a great defense in a big game?

Terrific write-ups Jimmy and GPS3, appreciate the effort there and GL on the week. Really looking forward to this game.

It's amazing to me how many people buy into the "equal action on both sides, so the book makes juice" myth. Looking past the fact that it would be virtually impossible due to the number of games, it makes no sense from a business standpoint. Lines may move to even out the action as an insurance policy for the book, but that's it. There simply isn't the volume of bets necessary for Vegas/online books/bookies/etc to make money that way. If we say the average bet is $100 nationwide or worldwide or whatever, you think those casinos in Vegas are setting lines trying to make $10 per bet on whichever side loses? Even if it's $1000, it's going to take a long time to build another casino making $100 at a time.

Back to the topic at hand, when is the last time a great offense beat a team with a great defense in a big game?

I'm always amazed at people who buy the equal action stuff. No business passes up the potential profit by getting 70-80% of the money on the wrong side just to be get equitable investment. They either haven't take the time to think critically or are incapable of doing so.

There are differing opinions/views.

I stated I do believe that they set a majority of lines trying to induce equal action, BUT, that there are certainly games/markets where the book takes a certain position.

I think it's extremely ignorant to think that the books take a position on every game/market. If you're implying that the books take a position on all games, well, then I guess that makes you foolish.

I'm always amazed at people who buy the equal action stuff. No business passes up the potential profit by getting 70-80% of the money on the wrong side just to be get equitable investment. They either haven't take the time to think critically or are incapable of doing so.

They don't think of books as businesses in the traditional sense, which is basically all they are. Every business tries to maximize profit. Spending the amount of time it would take to get equal $ on both sides wouldn't be profitable long term, not to mention it would be really difficult. Besides, if that's what line moves tried to accomplish all the time, we'd see moves of 4 or more points a lot more

Excellent post!!! I think a post like this from a poster who is a fan of neither team will do more to get people on the right side of this game than anything "homers" like gps and I can post. Although in gps's defense, they guy goes the extra mile NOT to be a homer, and probably over-compensates more times than not. I, on the other hand, am much more brash in my Alabama predictions, and although I try to give an honest opinion, I am more likely to slant my opinion to the homer side.

That said, your take on this game is pretty exactly the same as mine. Football IS a game of match-ups, and this is a match-up that heavily favors Alabama. This week also presents us with one of the rare opportunities that the line actually favors taking Alabama. But after Alabama blows Auburn out - and they will blow them out - Alabama will probably be over-valued going into the SEC Championship Game. The general public will come away from the Iron Bowl thinking Alabama is unbeatable because the just destroyed the #4 team in the nation. They won't understand that the outcome was so one-sided because this was a very favorable match-up for Alabama, and a particularly bad one for Auburn.

You are 100% correct about Auburn's rushing attack. Alabama will take it away as they've done in years past, and force Auburn to beat them throwing the ball. Although I definitely expect Malzahn to have some packages for Jeremy Johnson (he is the much better passer of the two), the combination of Jeremy Johnson and Nick Marshall will not beat Alabama through the air. At this point I have absolutely no reason to believe that Malzahn's rushing attack will not fall on substantially the same hard times as the previous 3 meetings between Malzahn and Saban.

Accordingly, I would highly recommend everyone making Alabama your top play this weekend.

Excellent post!!! I think a post like this from a poster who is a fan of neither team will do more to get people on the right side of this game than anything "homers" like gps and I can post. Although in gps's defense, they guy goes the extra mile NOT to be a homer, and probably over-compensates more times than not. I, on the other hand, am much more brash in my Alabama predictions, and although I try to give an honest opinion, I am more likely to slant my opinion to the homer side.

That said, your take on this game is pretty exactly the same as mine. Football IS a game of match-ups, and this is a match-up that heavily favors Alabama. This week also presents us with one of the rare opportunities that the line actually favors taking Alabama. But after Alabama blows Auburn out - and they will blow them out - Alabama will probably be over-valued going into the SEC Championship Game. The general public will come away from the Iron Bowl thinking Alabama is unbeatable because the just destroyed the #4 team in the nation. They won't understand that the outcome was so one-sided because this was a very favorable match-up for Alabama, and a particularly bad one for Auburn.

You are 100% correct about Auburn's rushing attack. Alabama will take it away as they've done in years past, and force Auburn to beat them throwing the ball. Although I definitely expect Malzahn to have some packages for Jeremy Johnson (he is the much better passer of the two), the combination of Jeremy Johnson and Nick Marshall will not beat Alabama through the air. At this point I have absolutely no reason to believe that Malzahn's rushing attack will not fall on substantially the same hard times as the previous 3 meetings between Malzahn and Saban.

Accordingly, I would highly recommend everyone making Alabama your top play this weekend.

Would you recommend a first half bet on Alabama? Will probably be -6 or - 6.5ish...

If you think Auburn covers the 10, I'd entertain a ML play.

I always like it when Bama plays a "good" team, because it affords you to lay less than 20+ with them.

Looking at Bama over the last few years, how often do they not beat someone by more than 10?

09 in 14 games, they beat 11 out of there 14 foes by more than 10 pts
10 in 14 games, they beat 10 out of there 14 foes by more than 10 pts 10 was the last year they werent dominant
11 in 14 games, they beat 13 out of there 14 foes by more than 10pts
12 in 14 games, they beat 12 out of there 14 foes by more than 10pts
13 in 11 games they have beat 10 of there foes by more than 10 pts.

67-11 over the last 4 years, that they've beat teams by more than 10 pts. In 6 of those games they lost SU.

You look deeper into who they haven't destroyed, its LSU (when they were dominant), Tennessee ( I believe this was the blocked FG game), Georgia (last game of the year a few years ago, when everything was wrapped up), and A&M x 2 (A&Ms two best efforts in the last two years)

Would you recommend a first half bet on Alabama? Will probably be -6 or - 6.5ish...

Yes, absolutely. I will be on it. I think this game will be essentially over at the half. I will reiterate that I think this game is a terrible match-up for Auburn - particularly their offense. I think they will struggle mightily to score points. If Alabama can score two 1st half touchdowns (and I think they will), the 1st half cover should be in the bag.

I think people are forgetting how good Auburn's offensive line is. I watched Alabama vs Miss St, and the Tide had trouble getting pressure on the QB. I wasn't impressed, and this Auburn line is far more physical and talented.

Games I will be on.

Friday

ECU/Marshall OVER 64.5
Wazzu +17 (Hook)

Saturday

KSU -17 (Hook) *** Best Bet ***
AF/CSU OVER 59.5 *** Best Bet ***
Alabama -6.5 (1st Half) *** Best Bet ***
Alabama -10 *** Max Bet ***
Notre Dame +15.5

May even make a really small play on Notre Dame +450 ML.

Games I will be on.

Friday

ECU/Marshall OVER 64.5
Wazzu +17 (Hook)

Saturday

KSU -17 (Hook) *** Best Bet ***
AF/CSU OVER 59.5 *** Best Bet ***
Alabama -6.5 (1st Half) *** Best Bet ***
Alabama -10 *** Max Bet ***
Notre Dame +15.5

May even make a really small play on Notre Dame +450 ML.
we agree on them all..haven't looked into the AF over...will be doing that now

good luck!

Auburn's best chance to score IMO is early in the game, so I'd stay away from 1h under, but full game isn't a bad thought

But then again, Alabama has only given up 38 1h points this season with 8 shutouts, so it's certainly possible

we agree on them all..haven't looked into the AF over...will be doing that now

good luck!

Unfortunately the total moved to 62 this morning. I still love the play though. CSU played against the triple option 2 weeks ago, and although they beat New Mexico 66-42, their defense was gashed for 42 points and 527 yards. Furthermore, two of CSU's starting linebackers are out for this game, and that's a very bad sign when you have to defend the triple option.

On the flip side, CSU has been absolutely dominated in this rivalry for the last 10 years or so, so CSU will be highly motivated to break the cycle of losing to the Falcons. They also need this win to become bowl eligible. Air Force's defense has been a sieve all year, and they also have a couple of players out on that side of the ball. I look for CSU to score early and often. I think they at least get into the 40s here, if not the 50s.

There may not be 108 total points scored in the game like the New Mexico game, but I do think it'll be a very similar type game. I think this goes way OVER even the the newly minted total of 62.

Here's a good write-up on the game.

http://www.mwcconnection.com/footba...e-preview-air-force-academy-vs-colorado-state

Last edited:
Jimmy/GPS thoughts on taking Auburn 1H U10.5? Or even Auburn's team under for full game?

I like any team total UNDER for Auburn, and any team total OVER for Alabama. I think if Auburn scores, they are more likely to do it in the first half though, so I like the game UNDER team total better than the 1st half. What I like even better than either team total is Alabama -6.5 (1st Half) and Alabama -10.5. I think both of those bets are bullet-proof.

Last edited:
Congrats to Auburn and Auburn backers!!! They deserved to win the game.

WOW!!! That was brutal. I didn't expect the team with all the big game experience to completely collapse in every phase of the game: offense, defense, special teams and coaching. Unbelievable really.

Last edited:
Back