Bye Week B1G

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Good evening all,

This week has 6 teams from the conference on byes. The games that are left are not all that interesting so we'll keep things brief but first a quick recap of last week in the conference...

Ohio State made a statement against a good Wisconsin team. This game had really bad weather early and that helped to stymie the Bucks a bit early as did the Wisconsin defense. Around halfway through the 2nd you could see that OSU offense making adjustments and the inevitable was coming. I was laughing because at one point at 3-0 the Buckeyes TT was 25.5 and I really wanted to pounce but didn't (weather looked to be giving a break for periods in 2h). Well, we saw the onslaught that happened. It was a dominant performance and now they rest and await the two big ones at the end of the year. Wisconsin is playing for a Florida Bowl now... the lack of focus at Illinois has squashed what could have been a special season with a big bowl game and who knows what happens in the rematch in Indy. But, that doesn't seem likely. I think they win out though.

Penn State came into East Lansing and put the game away basically in the first 20 minutes of so. It was impressive. The Spartans have somewhat quit, no doubt. I thought they had some fight in them but they do not. They will muster it on November 16th but next week vs Illinois could prove to be interesting.

So, did Frost and Nebraska really wish for more games versus Indiana? This is the perceived slight that fueled the Hoosiers on apparently. Anyways, big win and this team is going to have their most successful season in sometime. I still say PSU and UM need to be leery in November...

Maryland is not good. Remember when Locksley was a genius? Yeah...funny stuff. Minnesota just beats who is in front of them. Obviously the real test is next week vs the Nittany Lions.

I liked Illinois last week and they won with under 30 passing yards. Purdue is young and learning but man that was brutal. I am happy for Lovie to get some wins this year.

Rutgers baby! Wooooooooh

Northwestern is turning football back to the dark ages offensively. I mean, really? Wow. Iowa churning along and has some big November games coming up. I didn't watch past the long TD because that in my mind was the end of the game.

Michigan played the rare OOC game and just white-washed Notre Dame. It was the best OL performance of the season and both backs were strong. I have been a big Haskins believer for awhile now and it is starting to show. The defense was very aggressive and looked very fast on a 'sponge' field. There wasn't much to say went bad other than the phantom P.I. (like this is getting out of control). All in all, a good game for them and a another building block.

Now, the under in that game. Obviously that was a good play on the stinking U52. I had a live option of 31.5 and one point and with the 2h total could of had another double-digit middle but I said 'if I push on 35 second half points, then well freaking done'. Well, it lost. Obviously, I was happy they kept the foot on the pedal (there is more backstory there, lot to write out now). It still sucked though, especially for a game I had played a total in order to play around with it. Oh well... funny thing is that ridic call in 3rd seemed to piss them off or this game prolly ends 31-0/38-0.

--------------------------------------------------

Locksley has been looking forward to this game but the Michigan defense should have fun with this team. I think the total is a bit high as this feels like a 38-13 type of game. Now, just because I use that score doesn't mean I recommend UM but I lean that way as of now. I wouldn't let the line get above 18/18.5 though.

Nebraska and Purdue is a degen special. No thanks to any of this game...

Indy is in for a battle with the Cats. Now, NW cannot score it seems but this is such a letdown game. This could be close for a bit.

Illinois also in a letdown spot. They haven't laid this many in a conference game since Kurt Kittner is my guess.

These games SUCK. I literally have no use for any of them.

--------------------------------------------------

We can open this up this week to what ever you want to talk about in-conference if you are bored.

Detroit brought this up already. Little bit of Lewerke, little bit of Lombardi, little bit of Day last game. Wtf is that? Showcasing Dave Warner‘s progress with his quarterbacks? Remember when Lewerke was viewer as a dark horse Heisman candidate? Yikes. Just all around disgusting product, the same one every week. I feel bad especially for the receivers, I think they have a lot of talent but they’re part of a dead offensive system. Same kind of sympathy with the defense that’s loaded especially up front. And I can only blame the coaching staff for Lewerke‘s lack of development (regression)! Feels like the position coaches (Warner!) are just stealing paychecks at this point.
Last year Dantonio pulled all the stops to escape Happy Valley with a loss. This time the game felt over very quickly.
I agree it‘s sort of who cares at this point until the Michigan game

If real coaching changes aren‘t made in East Lansing at the end of the season, then i‘ll be irate. Sparty games have literally become brutal to watch. I‘m totally fine with low-scoring games, defensive slugfests. Can i just get a little competitiveness please?

If real coaching changes aren‘t made in East Lansing at the end of the season, then i‘ll be irate. Sparty games have literally become brutal to watch. I‘m totally fine with low-scoring games, defensive slugfests. Can i just get a little competitiveness please?
Well, Mork is gone and unless it's Tressel then the whole house will be cleaned you'd think.

I'm thinking Gattis is going to be wanting to prove something this week to Locksley after saying gattis didn't call any plays at bama.

I'm losing alot of money on Sparty. I think the team just doesn't have the same spirit it did in the past. They were usually locks in bounceback games.

Also losing alot of money on northwestern. That said going back to the well again on a do not bet team. ouch. thinking indiana is a step down in class from Iowa and if nw can replicate the 10-7 game vs nebraska they have a shot at covering. No idea who is qb of northwestern these days. The 5 yard out is in play though. As long as it isn't thrown into the dirt before it gets to the receiver.

I'm thinking Gattis is going to be wanting to prove something this week to Locksley after saying gattis didn't call any plays at bama.

I'm losing alot of money on Sparty. I think the team just doesn't have the same spirit it did in the past. They were usually locks in bounceback games.

Also losing alot of money on northwestern. That said going back to the well again on a do not bet team. ouch. thinking indiana is a step down in class from Iowa and if nw can replicate the 10-7 game vs nebraska they have a shot at covering. No idea who is qb of northwestern these days. The 5 yard out is in play though. As long as it isn't thrown into the dirt before it gets to the receiver.

They make it so hard on themselves. Look .. when your whole offense happens within seven yards of the line of scrimmage, the defense gets to load all their players into those areas. It makes it impossible for themselves, or anyone who isn't running the option. You just cannot succeed unless you are willing to stretch the defense vertically as well as horizontally. NW QB's don't have a lot of time to throw, but you have to at least take the shots to be able to operate a lot of the rest of their playbook. they are so slow at the skill positions though.

So, did Frost and Nebraska really wish for more games versus Indiana? This is the perceived slight that fueled the Hoosiers on apparently. Anyways, big win and this team is going to have their most successful season in sometime. I still say PSU and UM need to be leery in November...

Indiana has impressed me from where I thought they were when the year started, to where they are now...even if they are beating a bunch of flawed teams, they are beating them.

The top of the Big Ten is very good Ohio State ,Penn State, Minnesota, Wisconsin...then a combination of Michigan and Iowa are good. Then after Indiana...and I guess now Illinois has some life, but the remainder of the Big Ten, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern and Michigan State are just an awful collection of football teams. Purdue might be the best of that bunch, but it is an ugly bunch of teams. I suppose every conference has there share of bad teams the other ones feast on. Sure makes it easy for a team like Indiana to rise above when they are playing all those bad teams in a row.

I wanted to post the photo last week but wasn't around and now I can't find it, but for you Michigan fans...did I see Shea Patterson and Don Brown walking off the field after Penn St together with their arms around eachother? How many times do you see the starting QB and DC in that kind of moment? Speaks to the team's unity I think. Felt good seeing that from a Michigan perspective going into the ND game.

I wish Indiana and Minnesota played eachother. I hate the fact that these conferences are so big teams only play less than 2/3 of the other league teams.

I wanted to post the photo last week but wasn't around and now I can't find it, but for you Michigan fans...did I see Shea Patterson and Don Brown walking off the field after Penn St together with their arms around eachother? How many times do you see the starting QB and DC in that kind of moment? Speaks to the team's unity I think. Felt good seeing that from a Michigan perspective going into the ND game.

Found it. TV showed the front side with their faces, this was what I found online:

PSU%2Bvs.%2BUM_2078.jpg

The top of the Big Ten is very good Ohio State ,Penn State, Minnesota, Wisconsin...then a combination of Michigan and Iowa are good. Then after Indiana...and I guess now Illinois has some life, but the remainder of the Big Ten, Rutgers, Maryland, Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern and Michigan State are just an awful collection of football teams. Purdue might be the best of that bunch, but it is an ugly bunch of teams. I suppose every conference has there share of bad teams the other ones feast on. Sure makes it easy for a team like Indiana to rise above when they are playing all those bad teams in a row.

If you lined up the Big with the ACC ...

Ohio State favored over Clemson
Wisconsin favored over the next acc team (take your pick)
Michigan favored over the next acc team (take your pick)
Minnesota favored over the next acc team (take your pick)
PSU favored over the next acc team (take your pick)
Iowa favored over the next acc team (take your pick)
Then Indiana, MSU, NW, Nebraska, Purdue are probably faves overall vs the next group (maybe not all of them but maybe all of them)

And then the ACC a significant favorite over Rutgers

I am not showing that as a commentary on the BIG ... it is a commentary on the ACC.

Also that was a great stat in another thread about Clemson defending 14 of 15 two pt conversion tries .. wow the offenses in that conference are awful.

Is Moore back for Purdue yet?

No depth chart released on Monday for the first time all year from Purdue. No idea what that means but I wouldn't expect Moore back this week. Practice reports after tomorrow and thursday will tell the story though. As long as it's not raining (clearly the entire team was allergic to water after last week) Moore or not they'll put up a bunch of points Saturday.

I love the Big 10, especially at this time of year. This past weekend's games were classic to me.

I remember I saw a football movie years ago with Tom Cruise called All the Right Moves. It was set in Big 10 country and was one of the best depictions of what high school football is really like of any movie. One of the things it showed is that it was always rainy and muddy. I thought it was just some Hollywood idea of adding drama to the game.

Now, after years of watching October and November games, I realize that's life in that region. It seems that once we hit October it is always raining and cold at any Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State, or Penn State game, and always cold at any Iowa game.

Something about watching those teams--they always seem like big, tough, hard hitting, guys pounding each other--just appeals to me. That seems like real football to me.

Last edited:
What a disgusting slate of games for this late in the year.

Looking ahead, OSU has bye, Twerps at home, Rutgers before PSU Mich. Doubt they practice for anyone but the last two the next 6 weeks, what a joke.

Excited to find out about the Gophers over the next month. We all know they run the ball very well and have a couple weapons out wide. PSU stuffs the run very well. Starting DT Shelton suspended for spitting at Sparty guy (something we all probably wanted to do at some point) lol

What a fascinating finish it will be for Big10 west, not. Which team will get buried in Indy? What is the point of divisions other than to have a team from each geographical region of the conference represent. Makes no sense with unbalanced schedule, give me the two best teams. Why is this so hard?

Sparty, wtf. It’s one thing to throw in a backup or two for a spark. But to go back to starter after a few series is beyond incompetent. Dantonio has to be at the end, I mean the guy always looks miserable but Christ, he’s just embarrassing himself. Pat Narduzzi, step on up! Perhaps they get Fickell.

Wisconsin, I’m over your same shit every year. Don’t ever tell me how good you are. You’re the same team every year. You’re like a house in a Pulte sub, cookie cutter! Sweet back who gobbles up stats behind all white monster line with German names. Same thing over and over and over no matter who the coach is. Yawn!

Mike Locksley, surprised he still has a recruiting class. Way over his head.

I’ll give Purdue a pass with so many injuries but boy the Brohm and Frost hype train has completely fallen off the tracks. Moore and Bell will be dynamic for PU next year at least.

Michigan, where has this been? Seriously, wtf? For as bad as it seemed against Wisky we are one play away from being right in playoff discussion again. I know the OSU game will kill us all but still, probably Roses if we catch a pass. Guess I’ll take the boy to Disney Jan 1 for the Florida rematch

Penn state -6.5 next week at goldy gopher looks appealing
So Minnesota and Michigan State are essentially the same?

You'd have to think with the game result and a further downgrade to MSU's PR that Penn State would be a larger favorite vs Michigan State if they played again.

Michigan State has lost 3 consecutive games by 21 pts or more for the first time since like 1896. Wisconsin, Ohio State and Penn State - however Michigan St is supposed to be on par...atleast with 2 out of the 3 and competitive.

If you lined up the Big with the ACC ...

Ohio State favored over Clemson
Wisconsin favored over the next acc team (take your pick)
Michigan favored over the next acc team (take your pick)
Minnesota favored over the next acc team (take your pick)
PSU favored over the next acc team (take your pick)
Iowa favored over the next acc team (take your pick)
Then Indiana, MSU, NW, Nebraska, Purdue are probably faves overall vs the next group (maybe not all of them but maybe all of them)

And then the ACC a significant favorite over Rutgers

I am not showing that as a commentary on the BIG ... it is a commentary on the ACC.

Also that was a great stat in another thread about Clemson defending 14 of 15 two pt conversion tries .. wow the offenses in that conference are awful.

I think the ACC has a bunch of average teams. Don't you think that Wake, FSU, UNC, even Pitt, Duke and LV and UVA would be favored on neutral over some combination of NW, Pur, Neb (without Martinez), Mary, maybe ILL? I mean, you are saying they would not be, so that is my answer. I would consider taking some of those ACC teams vs the bottom of the Big Ten.

UVA is probably the second best team in that conference so I don't think it is fair to compare them to NW, PUR, Neb, Maryland and illy ... should be comparing them to PSU, or Mich, or Wisconsin.

I guess you could make an argument FSU is the second best team in the conference but I will say UVA.

PSU, MICH, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan State and maybe even Indiana would be favored over Uva or FSU.

I mean yes, I would take the top of the ACC over the bottom of the BIG but if you are saying wake , fsu, and UVA are middle of the pack ACC, then who are the good teams?

More of a recruiting thing...feel terrible for the kid but thankfully he can still be part of the team.

Sparty has gotta be considered an auto-fade for the rest of the year.

Bachie was a force on defense, absolutely considered a leader back there in a front seven that was strongest against the run while the secondary has been vulnerable against the past.

I loved watching Bachie since he first became a Spartan...he was an instant impact...not great in pass coverage at all (see that multi-OU NW game where Thorson dink-and-dunked all over Sparty) but a motor against opposing ball-carriers, fwiw now... but I cannot respect people who cheat while other players are working their asses off and trying to compete the right way, the honest way. This is sickening to hear of. What kind of leader sets a sort of example like this? What does it say about the culture in a locker room where your team leader is fucking cheating? Shame on you Bachie! What kind of operation are you running Dantonio?

I think Dantono cares more about finding ways to keep his fucking garbage paycheck-stealing coaches on board than about promoting the growth of real leaders, than about making positive changes happen on his team! Because that's the only thing Dantonio has done!

Last edited:
Never too late :)

True...Illinois, Rutgers and Maryland though. If the lines truly adjust can't imagine any "value" on those. Auto-fade implies it doesn't matter what the line is though. I can see myself playing Illinois perhaps, but I've never been an "auto" anything guy. If MSU is a short fav at Rutgers, you taking Rutgers? Definitely could see Maryland beating them last game of year - unless Dantonio announces it is his final game or something potentially changing the dynamic. I haven't mentioned Michigan yet, the line will be big. I can count on one hand how many times I laid DD this year.

True...Illinois, Rutgers and Maryland though. If the lines truly adjust can't imagine any "value" on those. Auto-fade implies it doesn't matter what the line is though. I can see myself playing Illinois perhaps, but I've never been an "auto" anything guy. If MSU is a short fav at Rutgers, you taking Rutgers? Definitely could see Maryland beating them last game of year - unless Dantonio announces it is his final game or something potentially changing the dynamic. I haven't mentioned Michigan yet, the line will be big. I can count on one hand how many times I laid DD this year.

Sparty laying duds could set up for a big play on them vs Mich. Exaggerated line and Sparty goes all out for that game

If that the case, then Maryland even a more likely play. Get blasted by Michigan, beat Michigan. Either way, Maryland ML baby.

- Nevermind, I see they have Rutgers in between Mich and Mary

Interesting angle tomorrow to look at - Michigan TT O40 (only 20 for 1H)

Maryland D in the Big Ten
59 to Penn State (#1)
7 to Rutgers (T1)
40 to Purdue (#1)
34 to Indiana (#4 - highest is 38)
52 to Minnesota (#1)

That D has just been awful in the Big Ten and teams have feasted on them both ways - Purdue got their 40 with 400+ yards of passing and Minnesota got there with 300+ rushing yards. Weather is as good as you can ask for November 2nd (no wind, no snow/rain, high 40s/low 50s). Plus, the TTO is always risky because you think that the team might go to a backup if the game is out of hand but UM's 2nd and 3rd stringers at QB/RB are more than capable of putting up points.

Michigan's offense has looked really good the past three weeks (sans the first half of ND passing but rain really hurt them) with 42 @ Ill (how's that look with IL's last two), 21 @ PSU (easily could have been more if not for some phantom calls/timely drops), and 45 last week against ND in the pounding rain. More fluidity, more chunk plays, and less wasted plays.

It is a really good play.

You pointed out many of the positives.

Also, heading into a bye week.

Out of the last 3 games, two of them have had weather for Michigan. There was wind at Illinois and we know what last week was. I think they will work on the passing game a bit tomorrow with the expected excellent weather.

The total has dropped all week (57.5 to 55) helping create some value to offset the line move on the side

20 1h
38.5 game

As of now...

With 6 mins left you are dead on with the score.. Mich is done scoring. Maryland offensive gameplan made this a low t.o.p. game for UM. Even with bad offense still got to 38.
Had to laugh, Bovada actually had it 37.5 -145 so I took that last night. I won’t feel bad after some times I’ve been bent over recently. That said, I expected 45 plus. Meh, move on.

Had Cincy to win to close out ML parlay too. Guess I’m just living right today

Back