Butch Davis agrees to terms with UNC

SHSUHorn

Thief
Wow. Davis could've easily held out for a better job but I don't see him staying there long or he might smell blood in the ACC and now is the time a team might be able to make the jump.

Looks like Miami goes after Rutgers coach now.

CarolinaBlue.com has been told by sources that we trust that North Carolina and Butch Davis have agreed to terms to make Davis the next coach at North Carolina.

According to sources, Davis will likely be the next coach at North Carolina.
At this point we are cautious to describe this as a complete "done deal" as several things may still be in play over the weekend before this becomes finalized. Still, we believe an official announcement could come as early as next week.

We are being cautious because we respect you, our readers, and respect the school.

Davis, 54, was previously head coach of the Cleveland Browns from 2001-2004.

Prior to that, Davis had a highly successful sting as head coach at the University of Miami (1995-2001), where he took control of a program on probation and riddled with problems on and off the field.

By the time he left, players were graduating and discipline had been instilled within the football program and Davis compiled a 51-20 record and was the architect behind the Hurricane teams that won the national title game in 2001 and lost in overtime in the 2002 national title game.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed but CarolinaBlue.com sources earlier in the week said that North Carolina was prepared to offer nearly $2 million annually for Davis, who will widely be viewed as the best potential coach currently available to the college ranks. Since his dismissal from the Browns, Davis name has been linked everywhere from Arkansas to North Carolina to even Michigan State this week.

Good shit horn..

I actually think UNC could be a gold mind spot. HE will own the area in recruiting. Plus he still has ties in Florida. Look for big things out of unc in 2 or 3 years.. Nice job heels

abcs said:
Good shit horn..

I actually think UNC could be a gold mind spot. HE will own the area in recruiting. Plus he still has ties in Florida. Look for big things out of unc in 2 or 3 years.. Nice job heels
I see no reason why UNC can't be a damn good team. Good location, lots of talent down there, in a big conference.

Jesus fucking goddamn Christ all fucking mighty. God. DAMMIT! This is MISERABLE for all UVa, VPI, Maryland, and NCSU fans. Recruiting just got that much tougher, what with Michigan, USC, ND, and Florida already plucking out the best recruits from the mid-atlantic states. Butchie is great at finding all the guys that fly under the radar, which basically makes up the middle to top of UVa and Maryland's classes each year.

This is bad, bad news.

Horn,

Who do you think would be a better fit at Miami....Schiano or Davis? (although he's no longer available)....

Updated Friday, November 3, 2006 at 10:44 p.m.
There is speculation tonight that former Miami/Cleveland Browns coach Butch Davis is being heavily courted by North Carolina to be their new football coach for 2007. Sources tell CFT, however, that even though some media outlets are reporting the deal is done, no agreement has been reached.

Several NFL sources tell us that Davis may be using the UNC interest to leverage a better deal from the University of Miami, which has supposedly settled on Davis to be its new coach after Larry Coker is fired at the end of this season.

Another source tells CFT that he he doesn't "think that Davis will go to UNC since football will always be second fiddle to basketball there ... and Butch wants to be the number one guy wherever he goes." Davis's mind could change, however, if he "is given a boatload of money, even though he still gets four million next year from the Browns for the last year of his contract."

Why would an ESTABLISHED coach want to go tha u

Facilties are average
Orange Bowl Sucks
Fans dont travel
Unrealistic Expectations
If you do win you were expected to win.. the place is a stepping stone for most coaches..that is why after u see a guy win he is relieved and just leaves

Mack Brown did well at UNC he just happened to be there during the FSU dynasties going 10-1 and 10-2 his last two years there and having good seasons the last 7 years he was there. Since Brown has left the program has gone to shit but if you can get the right recruiter in there UNC has the potential.

We do need someone to step in the U though and make noise or else Florida is gonna grab all the top Florida talent. You see the domination a school can have in the national scene (USC) if they steal all the blue chippers out of either Cali, Texas, or Florida.

This is the best possible news for major SEC and ACC powers.
My analysis as a LSU Tiger fan.

I wanted Butch Davis for the HC of LSU the moment I had an inkling of Saban leaving LSU. But I knew Davis wasn't going to accept a head coaching position that year. As LSU (and UF, among others) had filled their respective HC positions that year and next, and with the apparent weakness at the time of Arkansas, I was fearful of Butch Davis making an entrance into the SEC.

But now, with Arkansas enjoying a good deal of success and Miami not yet outwardly committed to making a change, there was no immediate, big time opening for Davis to step into. So, it is with no small amount of happiness that I read tonight that Davis is the heir apparent to the UNC job.

The HC of UNC is no doubt a great job. A terrific school that has exhibited good to great success in the immediate past. However, there are some factors that demand attention that define the situation in a more positive light for those in the Tobacco Road neighborhood.

Let's be honest, while Davis is a proven highly successful recruiter and coach, there is a modest amount of talent to be distributed in that area. Davis' success and abilities are minimalized in the golden triangle area (rather than La/Ark or Fla).

I have no doubt that if Davis does indeed accept the HC position at UNC, he will enjoy new successes and bring UNC renewed triumphs. However, considering the limited amount of talent in the area and the abilities of the school, I DO NOT see Davis enjoying monumental success in the immediate future.

So, let's grade it out, UNC with Davis at the helm. If you care that UNC will beat your school in the immediate future, you don't face too big a threat in the short term. If you care about UNC and Davis fucking up a line or upsetting some chalk in the ACC and an OOC or two, your concerns would be well placed.

As a Tigah fan, thank God he is in the ACC. Furthermore, whatever success he finds will be limited in the short term, as dictated by the limits of the talent in the immediate area. But, and that's a dare I say J Lo or Shakira type butt, with the current parity of the ACC, Davis and UNC could enjoy, over the long term, heretofore unparalled success.

space, you might want to be more thasnkful that the Aggies are having a great year because that was definitley a possibility. Having Davis that close to your borders plus probably snagging away alot of the East Texas and Houston talent that LSU gets.

As a Horn fan as well I'm glad this didn't happen because Butch would've definitley hurt the domination Mack has enjoyed in Texas the last two years.

Being the huge Cane fan that I am this is not good news for us or any ACC fan out there!!!

:hairout:

I thought Cohwer was heading to NC St.. he lives in raleigh not chapel hill

Back