Browns trade for DT Corey Williams?

Fondybadger

CTG Partner
Washington Post says the Green Bay Packers will be trading Franchise DT Corey Williams to the Cleveland Browns for a 2nd round pick.

As a Packer fan, love the Packers getting a 2nd round pick for a DT that I thought would walk away. Browns wouldn't have a pick until the 3rd round then?

If this is true it almost seems like the Browns have to be letting Anderson walk for that first and third, because they've been scouting the first round pretty significantly and if this works out that leaves them without a first or second round pick this year.

I have trouble seeing Savage let a draft go by like that.

i do not know much about corey williams but as a browns fan i am going to have a hard time watching the draft knowing that i am going to be wasting my time.

i dont understand..arent the browns guranteed a 1st and 3rd as long as he signs somewhere?..isnt that a good thing?

No way Savage, already out of the 1st round, releases Orpheus Roy and trades out of the second round for a DT without an inkling that DA's already out the door for a 1st and a 3rd, and no way DA leaves $10-mil guaranteed on the table without a better one out there. It's clear as day from both sides. Quinn, yer' in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Browns have not confirmed, and since they apparently just inked DA, have to wonder if they'd part with a second rounder. I think I'm done predicting Browns moves though, I don't get any of this ...

via Cleveland Plain Dealer
http://blog.cleveland.com/sports/2008/02/reports_browns_trade_for_packe.html

Browns trade for Pack DL Williams

Posted by dcampbel February 29, 2008 00:57AM

small_williams0229.jpg
Associated PressCorey Williams
The Browns acquired Green Bay defensive lineman Corey Williams in a surprise trade after midnight this morning. Williams, 27, supposedly was taken off the free-agent market when the Packers gave him the franchise tag of $6.3 million. But they shied from investing long term in the fifth-year player and actively shopped him late in the week.
The deal requires the Browns to sign Williams to a multiyear contract. The price tag for Williams would be steep. Earlier in the day, Oakland re-signed Tommy Kelly to the largest contract ever for a defensive lineman -- seven years for $50.5 million, including more than $18 million in guaranteed money. Williams was not expected to exceed that contract.
The Browns also had to surrender their second-round draft pick to Green Bay. That would temporarily leave the Browns without picks in the first two rounds of the draft. They traded their No. 1 last year to Dallas for quarterback Brady Quinn.
But that could change if restricted free agent Derek Anderson receives an offer from another team. Earlier Thursday, General Manager Phil Savage said he suspected Anderson would reject the Browns' three-year contract and test the market. Savage said he told Anderson's agents he would not trade Anderson for less than first- and third-round picks.
Williams, 6-4 and 320 pounds, would probably play left end in the Browns' 3-4 defense. He played tackle in Green Bay's 4-3 alignment and was known for his quickness in getting to the quarterback. He had 14 sacks the last two years.
The pursuit of Williams falls in line with Savage's determination to upgrade the defense through free agency and the draft.
"Defense is going to be a big part of our off-season," he said Thursday morning. "I think the next four to five days will probably dictate how our off-season goes, in terms of how it impacts the draft, what holes we get filled over the weekend."
The Browns had approximately $37 million in salary cap room when the free-agent signing period dawned at 12:01 this morning. Some of that must be preserved for rookie signings later in the summer. As of Thursday afternoon, Savage was preserving another chunk for the signing of Anderson to a three-year contract -- a possibility that was diminishing as the evening wore on.
Savage said he wouldn't feel bad if Anderson left in free agency because it would free up more money for the team to spend on defensive help. Also, he is convinced that Quinn can pick up the slack in 2008.
The salary cap room was just one reason Savage was optimistic about rebuilding the defense in one off-season. He said that coach Romeo Crennel's lofty reputation around the league has made the Browns an attractive team for defensive players.
"We feel pretty good about some of the players we have targeted," Savage said. "We feel it might be a good fit for them, if we can get them here. It's not as hard as a sales job as three years ago. We have a lot of positive things going here.
"I think this is going to be an attractive place for defensive players because they know they're going to have a chance to make a big impact. I think that's an attraction."
So whom besides Williams will the Browns target to upgrade their defense? Linemen and linebackers are the obvious answers.
The Browns entered free agency with only two experienced linemen on the roster -- Robaire Smith and Shaun Smith. Savage said the team hoped to keep Shaun Smith at nose tackle this year, which means they prioritize defensive end as a greater need.
Other linemen of interest could include Tennessee's Randy Starks and Chicago's Antonio Garay (a former Browns draft choice). Also, former Raven Marques Douglas, who defected to San Francisco three years ago, has played inside though he is 20 pounds lighter than preferred.
At linebacker, the Browns are looking for another run-stopper inside and an outside edge rusher to complement Kamerion Wimbley. Two of the best have been franchised by their teams -- Terrell Suggs of Baltimore and Karlos Dansby of Arizona.
Among the outside 'backers available are Pittsburgh Clark Haggans and recently released Rosevelt Colvin of New England. Inside prospects could include Chicago's high-priced Lance Briggs and Cincinnati's Landon Johnson.
Savage said if he fails to land the defensive players on his list, he might direct his resources toward offense. It's possible he could shop for another receiver. If so, Chicago's Bernard Berrian would be on top of the list. Local product Drew Carter of Carolina is another possibility.
If Anderson defects to another team, acquiring a third quarterback would become a minor priority. More than likely, that would not happen until after the draft, when more players become available.

Great deal for Ted Thompson and the Pack. We now have 3 draft picks in the first 64 I believe. Which just fits Thompson and his strategy perfect. Williams was gone after next year anyways and we wouldnt have got anything for him. good job getting a 2nd out of it.

Welcome to being a starting QB in Cleveland, Brady Quinn.

Hopefully this trade works out, they picked up another O-lineman last year from Cincy who's been average at best. If he turns into depth and this guy plugs the middle, that could be a significant improvement.

Great deal for Ted Thompson and the Pack. We now have 3 draft picks in the first 64 I believe. Which just fits Thompson and his strategy perfect. Williams was gone after next year anyways and we wouldnt have got anything for him. good job getting a 2nd out of it.

Yeah Ted Thompson will turn those pick into about 6 3rd rounders.

It's official!

Something screwy on this one, I still don't think the Browns have commented on it, and the flagship station (WTAM) is talking as if it's a done deal, but that no one's sure what round draft choice(s) went to GB. I can't believe a team without a 1st rounder would deal its 2nd rounder ... unless they're still going to peddle DA now that he's under contract. Just gotta stay tuned, doesn't seem like the Browns are done screwing around here.

Deal almost done: Neither the Packers nor the Browns officially announced the Williams deal Friday but Browns general manager Phil Savage confirmed to reporters in Cleveland that he had dealt a second-round pick (56th overall) to Green Bay for Williams.
The Browns spent most of Thursday evening negotiating a long-term contract with Williams, the parameters of which were completed at the official start of free agency. The deal hasn't been announced because of an abundance of paperwork necessary for the Packers to sign Williams to the agreed-upon long-term deal and then trade him to Cleveland.
"We contacted the Packers last night (Thursday) and asked if they'd be willing to do something for less than the two No. 1s," Savage said, referring to the compensation due the Packers if a team matched their offer for Williams as the franchise player. "We talked about it awhile back and forth. Ultimately, we came to the conclusion that it was worth a second-round pick for us to get a defensive lineman that has played in the league, has had success in the league."
Several reports estimated the worth of Williams' deal to be about $6 million per year with more than $16 million guaranteed, although those numbers could not be verified by the Journal Sentinel.

Shaun Rogers is a brown....guy takes more plays off than anyone in the league and has battled weight issues his whole career...but is a force when he wants to play.

I like corey williams still has his best years ahead of him. Rodgers is questionable especially if the browns have to give up 3rd and 5th rounds for him. I wonder if the browns strategy this year is to trade away all their picks.

I like what they are doing defensivly right now, but i am worried that they won't have any picks in this years draft.

Corey Williams had his best year in his contract year. We will find out if hes the real deal or not. And hes still never been a full time starter in this league. Sure last year he played the majority of the snaps but he was rotated often. He was disruptive though almost every game, but was it because of the contract. I think the Browns did great work though with Williams and Rogers. I think Williams will take some time to adjust to play in that 3-4. Hes going to play DE isnt he?
And I would be pissed if I was a Browns fan. The draft is going to be not exciting at all for them

As a browns fan, i am not pissed because here is how i look at it. Browns 2nd rounder would of picked a front 7 defensive player and if they get a proven guy that would be fine with me. I am unsure if he can play NT, so signal your right, DE would probally be his position. Althoughj, i am not sure he could step in right away as it would take time getting used to his new role.

He would have to become famaliar with the fact that he dosen't have to get sacks he just can't be pushed back and that the linebackers are the playmakers on a 3-4 defense.

Rodgers is the person i am a little skeptical about only because of the fact that his weight and lack of effort always surface. That is what has me worried.

Back