brewerfan003's college football plays 2013 (regular season)

Each week during the 2013 college football season, I will offer up my picks and scores for the biggest games in addition to a handful of other key matchups.
Week 3 is in the books and my picks went 7-2, giving me an overall record of 19-8.
While this week's slate of games looks like a bit of a letdown after last week's Alabama-Texas A&M thriller, there are some intriguing conference matchups along with some longtime nonconference rivals squaring off. I tried to find games that could offer a lot of split opinions.

[h=3]No. 23 Arizona State Sun Devils at No. 5 Stanford Cardinal[/h] Saturday at 7 p.m. ET
This week's only game involving two ranked teams takes place in the Pac-12 as the Sun Devils, fresh off a controversial 32-30 win over then-No. 20 Wisconsin, travel to take on the defending Pac-12 champion Cardinal, who are off to a 2-0 start after last week's 34-20 win over Army.
These two conference foes have not met since 2010, but Stanford is going for three straight wins in the series for only the second time (1999-2001).

[h=4]Insider PickCenter[/h] Wondering which side to take? Check out PickCenter and do your research before making that critical decision.
PickCenter
in.gif

After two wins over overmatched foes in San Jose State and Army, this will be the first legitimate test for the Cardinal. Last week's relatively close game can be excused when you consider the Cardinal were traveling across the country, playing at 9 a.m. PT time. Plus, Stanford had to face Army's option offense.
Quarterback Kevin Hogan is now a perfect 7-0 as a starter, and last year had four wins over ranked teams. On the other side, prior to last week's win over the Badgers, the Sun Devils' only win in the Todd Graham era over a team with a winning record came in last year's bowl game over Navy.
This will be the best defense that the Sun Devils have faced in two years. On the other side, I look for the Cardinal's excellent offensive line to wear down a relatively undersized Arizona State front seven that allowed 231 rush yards last week.
Pick: Stanford 31, Arizona State 20

[h=3]Michigan State Spartans at No. 22 Notre Dame Fighting Irish[/h] Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET
After going just 3-9 against the Spartans from 1997-2008, the Fighting Irish have now won three of the past four games over MSU, including two straight for the first time since 1993-1994. Last year's 20-3 win also ended Michigan State's 15-game home winning streak.
Last week, the Irish were in a flat spot against Purdue and found themselves down 17-10 into the fourth quarter before they scored three touchdowns in a span of 3:30 to make it 31-17. Quarterback Tommy Rees has thrown for more than 300 yards in all three games this year, but the Irish's ground game has averaged just 94 yards per game (YPG) the past two weeks. It will not get any easier for the Irish this week as they go up against a Spartans D that ranks No. 1 in the country in total defense, allowing just 177 YPG, albeit against poor competition.
On the other side, the Notre Dame defense has been a disappointment but will face a Michigan State offense that had struggled mightily prior to last week's 55-17 win over Youngstown State. After throwing four touchdown passes in Week 3, MSU quarterback Connor Cook will be making his first career road start in South Bend, where the Irish have won nine straight home games, their longest streak since 1997-1999.
Nine of the past 13 meetings between these teams have been decided by single digits, and I expect more of the same Saturday with the Irish winning their third straight.
Pick: Notre Dame 23, Michigan State 17

[h=3]Auburn Tigers at No. 6 LSU Tigers[/h] Saturday at 7:45 p.m. ET, ESPN
Both teams come in a perfect 3-0. Last week Auburn capped off an 88-yard drive with a touchdown pass with 10 seconds left to beat Mississippi State 24-20. Quarterback Nick Marshall continues to improve each week and connected on 6 of 8 passes on the game-winning drive. However, he will be making his first career road start in one of college football's toughest settings: a night game at Death Valley.
LSU QB Zach Mettenberger continues an impressive season to date under the tutelage of new offensive coordinator Cam Cameron. He has completed 66 percent of his passes the past two weeks (albeit against UAB and Kent State), and has a 9-0 touchdown-to-interception ratio on the season.
While LSU does have a huge game against Georgia on deck, you have to think Auburn left it all on the table last week and will have no answer for an LSU attack that features a one-two punch at wide receiver in Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham, who are averaging a combined 316 all-purpose YPG this year.
Pick: LSU 38, Auburn 21

[h=3]Tennessee Volunteers at No. 19 Florida Gators[/h] Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET
The Gators have won eight in a row in this series by an average of 16 points. Last year, Tennessee led 14-10 at halftime, but Florida, true to form in the Will Muschamp era, made adjustments at the break and outgained the Vols in yardage to the tune of 399-109 in the second half in its 37-20 win.
ncf_u_florida-georgia3b_mb_288.jpg
<cite>Kevin Liles/US PRESSWIRE</cite>Jeff Driskel and the Gators are looking to bounce back after losing to Miami in Week 2.

This year, Florida comes in off a bye after a disappointing 21-16 loss to Miami. The Gators had a 22-10 first-down advantage and 413-212 yard edge in the game, but inefficiency in the red zone was the issue as they had two turnovers and also were stopped on downs. Quarterback Jeff Driskel threw for a career-high 291 yards but now has 12 turnovers in his past seven starts. On the bright side, the Gators defense ranks among the best in the country despite returning only three starters from last year.
Tennessee comes in off its worst loss since 1910; after leading Oregon 7-0 early, it was all downhill from there in the Vols' 59-14 loss to the Ducks. Quarterback Justin Worley, despite having a 5-1 TD-INT ratio, is averaging just 124 YPG and the Vols overall are getting outgained by 49 YPG.
Look for the Gators to shut down the Volunteers offense and, as long as Florida can clean up the turnovers in the red zone on offense, it should come away with a two-touchdown win.
Pick: Florida 30, Tennessee 16

[h=3]Boise State Broncos at Fresno State Bulldogs[/h] Friday at 9 p.m. ET, ESPN
The Broncos have dominated this series, winning seven straight games and, prior to last year's 20-10 win, had won the previous four games by an incredible 42 PPG.
Boise State has piled up 28 wins in its past 31 road games, but it was steamrolled at Washington earlier this year 38-6 and will be facing a Fresno State team that is a perfect 8-0 at home under coach Tim DeRuyter. The Broncos have won two straight games since that disappointing opener, and last week quarterback Joe Southwick had the highest passing efficiency total in Broncos history after completing 27 of 29 passes.
Southwick's counterpart, Derek Carr, is averaging 331 passing yards with an 8-1 TD-INT ratio as the Bulldogs have not played a game in two weeks because of the postponement of the Colorado game.
In my preseason College Football Preview, I picked Fresno State as my top non-AQ team and a win here will further validate that prediction. Look for the Bulldogs to finally end their series losing streak, but they may have to see the Broncos again here in the inaugural Mountain West championship game in December.
Pick: Fresno State 38, Boise State 34

[h=3]Quick hitters[/h]
[h=3]Utah State Aggies at USC Trojans[/h] Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET, ABC/ESPN 2
Utah State quarterback Chuckie Keeton deserves Heisman consideration as he is averaging 308 pass YPG to go with a 12-1 TD-INT ratio. However, he will be facing a USC defense that is allowing just 212 YPG and 10 PPG this year. Last week, the Trojans offense finally kicked into gear as quarterback Cody Kessler completed 15 of 17 passes for 237 yards. In the end, the Trojans get their second straight win before a showdown with Arizona State next week.
Pick: USC 30, Utah State 20

[h=3]Arkansas Razorbacks at Rutgers Scarlet Knights[/h] Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
Arkansas is off to a 3-0 start under new coach Bret Bielema and its offense looks much like Wisconsin's in recent years as running backs Jonathan Williams and Alex Collins have each topped 100 yards in the first three games. While both Arkansas QB Brandon Allen and Rutgers signal-caller Gary Nova were hurt in last week's games and are questionable this week, I think the Hogs have the better supporting cast and will move to 4-0.
Pick: Arkansas 24, Rutgers 18

[h=3]Kansas State Wildcats at Texas Longhorns[/h] Saturday at 8 p.m. ET, ABC
I had extremely high expectations for Texas this season but clearly the Horns have disappointed. They come in reeling after back-to-back losses and now face a Kansas State team that has beaten them five straight times despite the Wildcats getting outgained in all five of those games by an average of 96 yards. Sooner or later, the Horns will play up to their talent level. Plus, earlier this week Gary "the Gut" Galante went with Texas and I always stick with "the Gut."
Pick: Texas 34, Kansas State 28

[h=3]Utah Utes at Brigham Young Cougars[/h] Saturday at 10:15 p.m. ET, ESPN 2
Utah and BYU have been playing the "Holy War" since 1896, but this is just one of many longtime rivalries that looks to be going by the wayside because of conference realignment. The Utes have now beaten the Cougars three straight years; however, this year BYU has the situational edge coming off a bye week after its impressive win over Texas while Utah comes in off a tough overtime loss to Oregon State. The Cougars get revenge and bragging rights until they meet again in 2016.
Pick: BYU 34, Utah 27

Phil Steele's picks:

Each week during the 2013 college football season, I will offer up my picks and scores for the biggest games in addition to a handful of other key matchups.
Week 3 is in the books and my picks went 7-2, giving me an overall record of 19-8.
While this week's slate of games looks like a bit of a letdown after last week's Alabama-Texas A&M thriller, there are some intriguing conference matchups along with some longtime nonconference rivals squaring off. I tried to find games that could offer a lot of split opinions.

No. 23 Arizona State Sun Devils at No. 5 Stanford Cardinal

Saturday at 7 p.m. ET
This week's only game involving two ranked teams takes place in the Pac-12 as the Sun Devils, fresh off a controversial 32-30 win over then-No. 20 Wisconsin, travel to take on the defending Pac-12 champion Cardinal, who are off to a 2-0 start after last week's 34-20 win over Army.
These two conference foes have not met since 2010, but Stanford is going for three straight wins in the series for only the second time (1999-2001).

Insider PickCenter

Wondering which side to take? Check out PickCenter and do your research before making that critical decision.
PickCenter
in.gif

After two wins over overmatched foes in San Jose State and Army, this will be the first legitimate test for the Cardinal. Last week's relatively close game can be excused when you consider the Cardinal were traveling across the country, playing at 9 a.m. PT time. Plus, Stanford had to face Army's option offense.
Quarterback Kevin Hogan is now a perfect 7-0 as a starter, and last year had four wins over ranked teams. On the other side, prior to last week's win over the Badgers, the Sun Devils' only win in the Todd Graham era over a team with a winning record came in last year's bowl game over Navy.
This will be the best defense that the Sun Devils have faced in two years. On the other side, I look for the Cardinal's excellent offensive line to wear down a relatively undersized Arizona State front seven that allowed 231 rush yards last week.
Pick: Stanford 31, Arizona State 20

Michigan State Spartans at No. 22 Notre Dame Fighting Irish

Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET
After going just 3-9 against the Spartans from 1997-2008, the Fighting Irish have now won three of the past four games over MSU, including two straight for the first time since 1993-1994. Last year's 20-3 win also ended Michigan State's 15-game home winning streak.
Last week, the Irish were in a flat spot against Purdue and found themselves down 17-10 into the fourth quarter before they scored three touchdowns in a span of 3:30 to make it 31-17. Quarterback Tommy Rees has thrown for more than 300 yards in all three games this year, but the Irish's ground game has averaged just 94 yards per game (YPG) the past two weeks. It will not get any easier for the Irish this week as they go up against a Spartans D that ranks No. 1 in the country in total defense, allowing just 177 YPG, albeit against poor competition.
On the other side, the Notre Dame defense has been a disappointment but will face a Michigan State offense that had struggled mightily prior to last week's 55-17 win over Youngstown State. After throwing four touchdown passes in Week 3, MSU quarterback Connor Cook will be making his first career road start in South Bend, where the Irish have won nine straight home games, their longest streak since 1997-1999.
Nine of the past 13 meetings between these teams have been decided by single digits, and I expect more of the same Saturday with the Irish winning their third straight.
Pick: Notre Dame 23, Michigan State 17

Auburn Tigers at No. 6 LSU Tigers

Saturday at 7:45 p.m. ET, ESPN
Both teams come in a perfect 3-0. Last week Auburn capped off an 88-yard drive with a touchdown pass with 10 seconds left to beat Mississippi State 24-20. Quarterback Nick Marshall continues to improve each week and connected on 6 of 8 passes on the game-winning drive. However, he will be making his first career road start in one of college football's toughest settings: a night game at Death Valley.
LSU QB Zach Mettenberger continues an impressive season to date under the tutelage of new offensive coordinator Cam Cameron. He has completed 66 percent of his passes the past two weeks (albeit against UAB and Kent State), and has a 9-0 touchdown-to-interception ratio on the season.
While LSU does have a huge game against Georgia on deck, you have to think Auburn left it all on the table last week and will have no answer for an LSU attack that features a one-two punch at wide receiver in Jarvis Landry and Odell Beckham, who are averaging a combined 316 all-purpose YPG this year.
Pick: LSU 38, Auburn 21

Tennessee Volunteers at No. 19 Florida Gators

The Gators have won eight in a row in this series by an average of 16 points. Last year, Tennessee led 14-10 at halftime, but Florida, true to form in the Will Muschamp era, made adjustments at the break and outgained the Vols in yardage to the tune of 399-109 in the second half in its 37-20 win.
ncf_u_florida-georgia3b_mb_288.jpg
<cite>Kevin Liles/US PRESSWIRE</cite>Jeff Driskel and the Gators are looking to bounce back after losing to Miami in Week 2.

This year, Florida comes in off a bye after a disappointing 21-16 loss to Miami. The Gators had a 22-10 first-down advantage and 413-212 yard edge in the game, but inefficiency in the red zone was the issue as they had two turnovers and also were stopped on downs. Quarterback Jeff Driskel threw for a career-high 291 yards but now has 12 turnovers in his past seven starts. On the bright side, the Gators defense ranks among the best in the country despite returning only three starters from last year.
Tennessee comes in off its worst loss since 1910; after leading Oregon 7-0 early, it was all downhill from there in the Vols' 59-14 loss to the Ducks. Quarterback Justin Worley, despite having a 5-1 TD-INT ratio, is averaging just 124 YPG and the Vols overall are getting outgained by 49 YPG.
Look for the Gators to shut down the Volunteers offense and, as long as Florida can clean up the turnovers in the red zone on offense, it should come away with a two-touchdown win.
Pick: Florida 30, Tennessee 16

Boise State Broncos at Fresno State Bulldogs

Friday at 9 p.m. ET, ESPN
The Broncos have dominated this series, winning seven straight games and, prior to last year's 20-10 win, had won the previous four games by an incredible 42 PPG.
Boise State has piled up 28 wins in its past 31 road games, but it was steamrolled at Washington earlier this year 38-6 and will be facing a Fresno State team that is a perfect 8-0 at home under coach Tim DeRuyter. The Broncos have won two straight games since that disappointing opener, and last week quarterback Joe Southwick had the highest passing efficiency total in Broncos history after completing 27 of 29 passes.
Southwick's counterpart, Derek Carr, is averaging 331 passing yards with an 8-1 TD-INT ratio as the Bulldogs have not played a game in two weeks because of the postponement of the Colorado game.
In my preseason College Football Preview, I picked Fresno State as my top non-AQ team and a win here will further validate that prediction. Look for the Bulldogs to finally end their series losing streak, but they may have to see the Broncos again here in the inaugural Mountain West championship game in December.
Pick: Fresno State 38, Boise State 34

Quick hitters

Utah State Aggies at USC Trojans

Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET, ABC/ESPN 2
Utah State quarterback Chuckie Keeton deserves Heisman consideration as he is averaging 308 pass YPG to go with a 12-1 TD-INT ratio. However, he will be facing a USC defense that is allowing just 212 YPG and 10 PPG this year. Last week, the Trojans offense finally kicked into gear as quarterback Cody Kessler completed 15 of 17 passes for 237 yards. In the end, the Trojans get their second straight win before a showdown with Arizona State next week.
Pick: USC 30, Utah State 20

Arkansas Razorbacks at Rutgers Scarlet Knights

Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET, ESPN
Arkansas is off to a 3-0 start under new coach Bret Bielema and its offense looks much like Wisconsin's in recent years as running backs Jonathan Williams and Alex Collins have each topped 100 yards in the first three games. While both Arkansas QB Brandon Allen and Rutgers signal-caller Gary Nova were hurt in last week's games and are questionable this week, I think the Hogs have the better supporting cast and will move to 4-0.
Pick: Arkansas 24, Rutgers 18

Kansas State Wildcats at Texas Longhorns

Saturday at 8 p.m. ET, ABC
I had extremely high expectations for Texas this season but clearly the Horns have disappointed. They come in reeling after back-to-back losses and now face a Kansas State team that has beaten them five straight times despite the Wildcats getting outgained in all five of those games by an average of 96 yards. Sooner or later, the Horns will play up to their talent level. Plus, earlier this week Gary "the Gut" Galante went with Texas and I always stick with "the Gut."
Pick: Texas 34, Kansas State 28

Utah Utes at Brigham Young Cougars

Saturday at 10:15 p.m. ET, ESPN 2
Utah and BYU have been playing the "Holy War" since 1896, but this is just one of many longtime rivalries that looks to be going by the wayside because of conference realignment. The Utes have now beaten the Cougars three straight years; however, this year BYU has the situational edge coming off a bye week after its impressive win over Texas while Utah comes in off a tough overtime loss to Oregon State. The Cougars get revenge and bragging rights until they meet again in 2016.
Pick: BYU 34, Utah 27

Gonna add "little Sparty" to my card, seeing plenty of solid cappers on em... GL to us! :shake:

Agreed my only concern is if sporty will be able to put points on the board. I haven't played that game yet...it moved back to 5 so maybe it'll move again...go sparty

Well San Jose st played well 1st half but forgot that they play 2 halves. I did play halftime over of 27 which won but won't include that b/c I didn't post it.

11-10 -0.6* right now
May add more later as the wedding is over and have time to put plays in now before reception

Saturday plays:
oklahoma -9 2*
minnesota +19 1*
baylor/west va over 70 (-115) 2*
Northwestern +7.5 (-115) 1/2*
ole miss -3 1/2*
wash +8.5 1/2*

18-20 --> -4.33*

yet again a frustrating football day...all plays with exception of ole miss looked good through halftime and then some???then Oklahoma plays like a bunch of d-bags in the 2nd half, minny decides in the last 6 min of the game to give up a plethora of points and with under 2 minutes left in the game northwestern gives up a spread dealing defeat...annoyed with the outcomes and frustrated by them...

Saturday plays:
washington +13 (-105) 1*
whiskey -10 1*
Boise st -7 (even) 2*
byu -7 (-115) 2*

7 point teaser (+200) [1*/2*]
whiskey -3
lsu pick
byu pick
mich st -3

Phil steele's thoughts:

Each week during the 2013 college football season, I will offer up my picks and scores for the biggest games, in addition to a handful of other key matchups.

Week 6 is in the books and my picks went 8-1 overall, giving me a two-week run of 17-1 and an overall record of 43-11.

After a week that featured several near upsets of highly ranked teams, this week also has many games in which top teams should to be on upset alert.

No. 2 Oregon Ducks at No. 16 Washington Huskies
Saturday at 4 p.m. ET

The Ducks have won an amazing nine straight games in this series by an average score of 43-18, with their closest win coming by 17 points. They also have won 17 straight Pac-12 road games, and if one is looking to put a friendly wager on a game, have covered 12 of their past 13 overall.

This year, the undefeated Ducks have outscored their foes by 47 points per game while outgaining them by 299 yards per game. Not only is quarterback Marcus Mariota averaging 12 yards per carry with seven touchdowns, but he also has a perfect 14-0 touchdown-to-interception ratio. The defense, while yet to be tested, is allowing 10 points per game fewer than last year. But the big question for the Ducks in this one will be whether running back De'Anthony Thomas will play after sitting out the past couple of weeks with an ankle injury.

Insider PickCenter
Wondering which side to take? Check out PickCenter and do your research before making that critical decision.
PickCenter

The Huskies also have been very impressive this year, outgaining their foes by 269 yards per game. (Even in a 31-28 loss to Stanford last week, they still outgained the Cardinal 489-279.) It is amazing to see what a healthy, experienced offensive line can do for a quarterback: After struggling last year (sacked 38 times), Keith Price is one of the most improved QBs in the country, completing 71 percent of his passes with an 11-3 TD-INT ratio -- though he did get sacked five times last week.

Newly renovated Husky Stadium should be rocking for "College GameDay," but look for Oregon with or without Thomas to get its 10th straight win in the series.

Pick: Oregon 37, Washington 24

No. 17 Florida Gators at No. 10 LSU Tigers

These two teams have split their past 10 meetings, with the home team winning six of the past eight. This will be the 10th consecutive year that both have been ranked in the Top 25 at the time of the game. Last year, the Gators got the best of the Tigers 14-6 by outrushing them (176 yards to 42).

The Gators have won three straight and the offense has been energized by the play of quarterback Tyler Murphy, who put forth another impressive outing last week in a 30-10 win over Arkansas, completing 16 of 22 passes for 240 yards and three touchdowns with no interceptions. On the other side of the ball, Florida has the No. 2 total defense in the country (allowing only 217 yards per game).

That defense will be tested greatly against an LSU offense that is averaging 46 points per game and 489 yards per game. Last week, the Tigers had an offensive explosion in the fourth quarter as they scored 28 of their 59 points in the final stanza in the blowout win over Mississippi State. Quarterback Zach Mettenberger has improved greatly and arguably has the best one-two punch at wide receiver in the country in Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry.

LSU is far more beatable during the day at Tiger Stadium (all-time record near 50 percent), but it still is not an ideal setting for Murphy to make only his second career road start. Look for Florida's defense to slow down the high-flying Tigers offense a bit, but the Gators offense will not be able to generate enough points.

Pick: LSU 27, Florida 17

No. 25 Missouri Tigers at No. 7 Georgia Bulldogs
Saturday at noon ET, ESPN

In the week leading up to last year's game, Missouri defensive tackle Sheldon Richardson said the SEC style of play was "old-man football." The game was much closer than the final would indicate as the Tigers lost at home 41-20, but Missouri did lead 17-9 in the third quarter before a rash of turnovers changed momentum.

Last week, Georgia's national title hopes appeared bleak as it played without five starters who either sat out or were injured in the game. But somehow quarterback Aaron Murray, for the second week in a row, guided a late fourth-quarter drive to key the win. While the injury losses are heavy, replacements Chris Conley and J.J. Green performed admirably.

Not many could have predicted that at this point in the season, the Tigers would be the only other SEC team outside of Alabama to be undefeated, but here they are at 5-0. Last week, they jumped out to an early 30-7 lead and rolled over Vanderbilt on the road 51-28. Quarterback James Franklin is playing exceptionally well, averaging 281 passing yards per game with a 13-3 TD-INT ratio while the defensive line has been stout.

While Missouri is becoming a trendy upset pick this week given Georgia's depleted roster, I'll go against that sentiment and not underestimate the heart of Murray & Co. After this week, Alabama will stand as the only unbeaten SEC team.

Pick: Georgia 40, Missouri 31

No. 12 Oklahoma Sooners versus Texas Longhorns (Dallas)
Saturday at noon ET, ABC

In most seasons over the past 10-plus years, this game would have been the week's headliner, but times have changed -- particularly in Austin. Oklahoma has won the past three games in the series by 30 points per game and last year it tallied an incredible 407-65 yard edge at halftime in the 63-21 mauling.

AP Photo/Darron Cummings
Dual-threat QB Blake Bell is off to a strong start this season for the Sooners.
The Sooners come in a perfect 5-0 after last week's 20-17 win over TCU. The Oklahoma defense continues to impress as it did not allow a TCU first down until the 8:34 mark of the third quarter. The run game is also averaging a Stoops-era-high 246 yards per game, and Blake Bell has settled in at quarterback as he has yet to throw an interception all year. However, the Sooners have lost one of their key players in linebacker Corey Nelson to a torn pectoral muscle; after he left last week's game, the Horned Frogs were able to generate a couple of touchdowns.

Texas, on the other hand, has struggled to a 3-2 start, but remember the Horns are still a perfect 2-0 in Big 12 play after last week's 31-30 escape over Iowa State in Ames. Quarterback Case McCoy will be making his third straight start for the injured David Ash, and the offense has to center around running back Johnathan Gray, who has rushed for 411 yards in the past four games.

While the Sooners have owned the series and are the big favorite to win again, I expect Texas to play with a lot of pride here and this will not be the blowout that we have seen as of late.

Pick: Oklahoma 33, Texas 23

Quick hitters:

No. 19 Northwestern Wildcats at Wisconsin Badgers
Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET, ABC

There may not be a bigger situational edge this week than Northwestern coming off arguably its biggest home game in school history (narrowly losing last week to Ohio State) traveling to take on a Wisconsin team coming off a bye. These two have not met since 2010, a 70-23 Badger win. While this contest will be closer than the matchup three years ago, look for Wisconsin's vaunted ground attack with a healthy Melvin Gordon to wear down the Wildcats just as Ohio State and Carlos Hyde did last week in the second half.

Pick: Wisconsin 37, Northwestern 20

No. 9 Texas A&M Aggies at Ole Miss Rebels
Saturday at 8:30 p.m. ET, ESPN

Last year was their only recent meeting and it was a game Ole Miss easily could have won as the Rebels blew a 10-point second-half lead. The Aggies come in rested following back-to-back wins and a bye while the Rebels are reeling a bit after two straight road losses. Now back at home, Ole Miss should play inspired and I think this comes down to the wire for the second year in a row.

Pick: Texas A&M 41, Ole Miss 38

Pittsburgh Panthers at No. 24 Virginia Tech Hokies
Saturday at noon ET, ESPNU

While this is their first ACC meeting, these two have a history going back to their Big East days. Last year, the 0-2 Panthers shocked the No. 13 Hokies 35-17. Virginia Tech has now won five straight games since losing to Alabama in the opener, with quarterback Logan Thomas completing 72 percent of his passes in the past two games to go along with a perfect 4-0 TD-INT ratio. Pitt has won three straight games, but has not faced an elite defense like Virginia Tech's since its opening 28-point loss to Florida State. The Hokies will get revenge.

Pick: Virginia Tech 27, Pittsburgh 13

No. 18 Michigan Wolverines at Penn State Nittany Lions
Saturday at 5 p.m. ET, ESPN

Penn State has won its past three games against the Wolverines, but this is their first meeting since 2010. Last week, Michigan QB Devin Gardner had his first turnover-free game as starting quarterback in the Wolverines' blowout win over Minnesota. While Penn State is coming off a loss to Indiana, that has worked well for the Nittany Lions under coach Bill O'Brien (they are a perfect 5-0 coming off a loss). This is also the first time they have been an underdog at home under O'Brien, and they are expecting a sellout.

Pick: Penn State 24, Michigan 20

No. 15 Baylor Bears at Kansas State Wildcats

The Wildcats are playing with revenge in mind, as last year's loss to the Bears was the only thing preventing them from an undefeated regular season. However, since that win, the Bears have not looked back as they have won seven straight games by an average score of 61-18. While everyone is jumping aboard the Baylor bandwagon, keep in mind this is the Bears' first road game this year, and you can never underestimate Kansas State coach Bill Snyder. I expect this one to be much closer than the Bears' first four games.

Pick: Baylor 44, Kansas State 34

RECOMMEND105TWEET6COMMENTS38EMAILPRINTSUBSCRIBE

Saturday plays:
washington +13 (-105) 1*
whiskey -10 1*
Boise st -7 (even) 2*
byu -7 (-115) 2*

7 point teaser (+200) [1*/2*]
whiskey -3
lsu pick
byu pick
mich st -3

Really solid day today (3-1 with 2 plays remaining)
+3.95* with 2* on Boise remaining and small play teaser..

Great job brother.. nice seeing this.

Thanks Buddy it was certainly nice getting a nice winning weekend last weekend in college football. Let's hope that we continue it through this week and this weekend. Tonight I'm just playing North Carolina plus 10.... But it is not my play so I will not post it as my own play. Just following Kevy.

Phil steele's thoughts:

USA TODAY Sports, Getty Images
BCS title stakes could be on the line when Tajh Boyd's Tigers battle Jameis Winston's Seminoles.
Each week during the 2013 college football season, I will offer up my picks and scores for the biggest games, in addition to a handful of other key matchups.

Week 7 is in the books and my picks went 7-2, giving me an overall record of 50-13.

After a week that featured three of the biggest upsets this season -- with Stanford, Georgia and Oklahoma losing -- this week has one of the top games of the year in addition to several other high-stakes matchups.

No. 5 Florida State Seminoles at No. 3 Clemson Tigers
Saturday at 8 p.m. ET, ABC

The game of the week and possibly the entire month of October takes place Saturday as the winner here stakes a claim for not only an ACC title but also a possible berth in the BCS title game.

The home team has won six straight in this series and the Tigers have dominated the Seminoles in Death Valley, winning the past five matchups by an average of 10 points per game. However, last year Florida State came out on top 49-37 as the Noles had a huge 667-426 yard edge.

Insider PickCenter
Wondering which side to take? Check out PickCenter and do your research before making that critical decision. PickCenter

Last week, the Tigers in a clear flat spot trailed Boston College for the better part of three quarters before defensive end Vic Beasley, the nation's sack leader, returned a fumble for a touchdown to give the Tigers some cushion. While the offense, led by All-American candidates Tajh Boyd and Sammy Watkins, gets all the publicity, defensive coordinator Brent Venables' unit has now held five straight opponents to 14 points or fewer.

That defense will be greatly tested Saturday as the Seminoles lead the country in points per drive and are averaging 54 points per game. Thanks to dual-threat quarterback Jameis Winston, the Noles can beat opponents both on the ground (averaging 228 yards per game) and through the air (averaging 321 YPG).

Two factors that could play in Florida State's favor here is the fact it comes in off a bye while Clemson is playing for a fifth straight week. Also, Clemson's defense, while much improved, has been susceptible to the run this year; two weeks ago it allowed 323 yards to Syracuse. As long as Winston continues to protect the football, the Seminoles will walk out of Death Valley Saturday night as the clear ACC favorites and legit national title contenders.

Pick: Florida State 37, Clemson 31

No. 9 UCLA Bruins at No. 13 Stanford Cardinal

These two teams played each other in back-to-back weeks last year as Stanford beat UCLA 35-17 on the road in the regular-season finale and followed it up with a 27-24 comeback win at home in the Pac-12 championship game, giving the Cardinal five straight wins over the Bruins.

Last week, following a tough 31-28 win over Washington, Stanford found itself down 27-14 in the second half at Utah before the Cardinal's late rally fell short. They became the first top-five team to get upset this season. While their national title dreams have been greatly diminished, there is still plenty to play for as they host the Bruins this week and get Oregon at home in three weeks.

UCLA is off to its best start since 2005 and is doing so in impressive fashion, outscoring its foes by an average of 28 PPG while outgaining them by more than 200 YPG. This is the first game of arguably the toughest back-to-back trips in the country this year as the Bruins travel to Oregon next week. Wins in both of these games, while unlikely, would certainly propel not only the Bruins into the national title race but also quarterback Brett Hundley into the Heisman chase.

An interesting fact is that UCLA has lost nine straight road games inside the state of California and has lost seven straight games against top-15 opponents. Look for Stanford coming off a loss to play its best game of the season and come away with a comfortable, double-digit win.

Pick: Stanford 34, UCLA 21

No. 22 Florida Gators at No. 14 Missouri Tigers
Saturday at 12:21 p.m. ET, ESPN3

Last year, the Gators escaped with a 14-7 win over Missouri as Tigers quarterback James Franklin returned from injury in that game. This year, however, he will miss the contest because of a shoulder injury.

After last week's 41-26 upset win over Georgia, the Tigers are arguably the surprise of the 2013 season and now control their destiny in the SEC East. However, this week continues a tough stretch for them as they host South Carolina next week. Redshirt freshman Maty Mauk takes over the reins at QB but he is surrounded by two great wide receivers in L'Damian Washington and Dorial Green-Beckham.

Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images
Can Maty Mauk and Missouri continue their winning ways against Florida?
The Gators are making their second straight tough trip after their offense bogged down in a 17-6 loss to LSU last week. While their defense continues to rank among the nation's best, the offense, which has dealt with several injuries throughout the year, lost another key player in running back Matt Jones for the rest of the season. The onus will fall on the shoulders of quarterback Tyler Murphy, who has played well, completing 67 percent of his passes with a 5-1 TD-INT ratio.

While I expect Mauk to have his struggles against the Gators defense, Florida has averaged only 15 points per game on the road this year and now will face a Missouri defense that is tied for the national lead with 13 interceptions. The Tigers continue their march to an unlikely trip to Atlanta.

Pick: Missouri 21, Florida 20

No. 24 Auburn Tigers at No. 7 Texas A&M Aggies

Last year's game was no contest as the Aggies scored seven touchdowns on the eight possessions Johnny Manziel led, winning 63-21. The lopsided loss was the beginning of the end for Auburn coach Gene Chizik.

Last week, Texas A&M rallied in the fourth quarter to beat Ole Miss 41-38 thanks to a gutsy performance by Manziel, who posted 470 yards of total offense. The Aggies have now won three straight after the loss to Alabama. The offense continues to carry a defense that is allowing 474 yards per game, which is the most of any team in the country with a winning record.

Auburn, after going 3-9 last season, is now one win away from bowl eligibility after a 62-3 win over Western Carolina where it set a school record with 712 yards of offense. Starting quarterback Nick Marshall missed last week's game while resting his knee but will be ready to go here as he makes just his second career road start.

While the Tigers are fully capable of keeping pace with the Aggies, no one is better equipped at winning a shootout than Manziel & Co.

Pick: Texas A&M 42, Auburn 30

Quick hitters:
No. 11 South Carolina Gamecocks at Tennessee Volunteers
Saturday at noon ET, ESPN

The Gamecocks have won three straight in the series, but last year's 38-35 win was dampened by the loss of former running back Marcus Lattimore to a season-ending knee injury. Despite all of the distractions surrounding defensive end Jadeveon Clowney heading into last week's game, South Carolina crushed Arkansas 52-7 on the road. And with Georgia's loss to Missouri, the Gamecocks find themselves back in the SEC East race. Tennessee almost pulled an upset over the Bulldogs in their last game as they come in off a bye. While the situation favors the Volunteers with the Gamecocks traveling for a second straight week, the Vols have lost 19 straight games to ranked opponents and will lose another here.

Pick: South Carolina 30, Tennessee 24

Iowa Hawkeyes at No. 4 Ohio State Buckeyes

The Buckeyes have won 12 of the past 13 meetings as both teams come in off a bye. However, while Ohio State took care of two of its toughest opponents in Wisconsin and Northwestern prior to the bye, Iowa was outclassed by Michigan State at home 26-14. The young Buckeyes defense is still maturing, but it did limit the Badgers and Wildcats to just 99 rushing yards per game and should be able to shut down Iowa running back Mark Weisman. In addition, look for OSU quarterback Braxton Miller to rebound after an off performance in his last outing as the Buckeyes cruise to a win over the Hawkeyes.

Pick: Ohio State 41, Iowa 17

No. 20 Washington Huskies at Arizona State Sun Devils
Saturday at 6 p.m. ET

The Sun Devils have a huge situational edge in this game as they come in off a blowout win over Colorado and have a bye on deck while Washington is coming off games versus Stanford and Oregon. Even though they lost both games, Washington has impressed me as they outgained Stanford 489-284 and last week trailed Oregon only 31-24 late in the third quarter. I do think Washington has the better team and would win on a neutral field, but you have to wonder how much the Huskies have left in the tank after two huge games where they came up short.

Pick: Arizona State 36, Washington 30

No. 6 LSU Tigers at Ole Miss Rebels
Saturday at 7 p.m. ET, ESPN2

Last year, the Rebels led 35-28 when the ghost of Billy Cannon emerged and Odell Beckham Jr. got an 89-yard punt return touchdown with 9:10 left that gave the Tigers the momentum to pull out the comeback win. Last week, Ole Miss again blew a late lead to Texas A&M, and that makes it three straight losses for the Rebels, who came into the season with high expectations. It does not get any easier as LSU's defense finally stepped up in a big 17-6 win over Florida last week. The Rebels have been so close to getting that signature win over a highly ranked foe, but it will not happen here.

Pick: LSU 34, Ole Miss 28

USC Trojans at Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Saturday at 7:30 p.m. ET

Bob Davie was still the head coach at Notre Dame the last time the Irish defeated the Trojans at home, as USC has won five straight in South Bend. Last year, Notre Dame's 22-13 win over USC in the regular-season finale sent them to the BCS title game. The Irish do come in off a bye after arguably their best performance of the season in a 37-34 win over Arizona State, a team that beat the Trojans the week prior, resulting in Lane Kiffin's firing. Last week, the Trojans looked like a completely different team under interim coach Ed Orgeron in the win over Arizona. This week, they expect to get back wide receiver Marqise Lee and I look for them to continue their momentum and also continue their streak over the Irish in South Bend.

Pick: USC 24, Notre Dame 23

RECOMMEND37TWEET3COMMENTS11EMAILPRINTSUBSCRIBE

Phil Steele
ESPN Insider
Archive
ESPN Insider college football contributor
Has published his annual college football preview magazine for the past 18 years

Will Harris thoughts:

Brian Spurlock/USA TODAY Sports
Notre Dame's Tommy Rees shouldn't have much trouble at home against USC this weekend.
Insider PickCenter
Wondering which side to take? Check out PickCenter and do your research before making that critical decision. PickCenter

Week 7 saw a few upsets shake up the polls, but at least four teams still command their conference races in the five power leagues, including our preseason selections of Clemson, South Carolina, Michigan State and Stanford.

After a 5-5 mark left us at 34-36 on the season, Week 8 has us offering a confident endorsement of a pair of rivalry-game hosts, an opinion on Zero Dark Thursday and an easy choice in the upcoming ACC Atlantic showdown.

USC Trojans at Notre Dame Fighting Irish (minus-3)
ATS pick: Notre Dame
The Irish have a coach with more than 200 wins who is coveted by the NFL. The Trojans have an interim coach with an 11-25 career record.

The Irish have an elite staff with one coordinator a reigning Broyles Award winner and the other a former head coach with a 74-7 career record. The Trojans have a short-handed, recruiting-oriented, lame-duck staff with one coordinator a new playcaller and the other in his first year with the program.

Brian Kelly's staff has spent its four years at Notre Dame building a deep roster that produced a BCS title game appearance and its best run in more than a decade. Lane Kiffin's staff has spent its four years at USC -- with the help of sanctions -- crafting a severely depleted roster and leading the school to its worst run in more than a decade.

This week, Notre Dame is coming off an open date -- after which Kelly is 11-3 -- while USC is coming off an emotionally draining victory. Nothing about these programs is remotely comparable right now, and it will be evident within minutes of kickoff that the Trojans have no shot to win this one.

Score: Notre Dame 38, USC 14

Miami Hurricanes (minus-9.5) at North Carolina Tar Heels
ATS pick: North Carolina
Opposing a desperate but talented team with a chance to save its season is not the time to be backing road chalk on Thursday night. We're not particularly bullish on a Carolina team with glaring weaknesses on the offensive line and all over the defense, but we're not really buying a Miami bunch that's dangerous and explosive yet is still too capable of beating itself.

Score: Miami 31, North Carolina 28

Wyoming Cowboys (minus-6.5) at Colorado State Rams
ATS pick: Wyoming
Wyoming has emerged triumphant from Sheep Week in each of Dave Christensen's four years at the helm. The longtime Gary Pinkel understudy emphasizes the Border War above all others. That's no secret, nor is the fact that Colorado State has been burned all season by the type of explosive plays that Wyoming and quarterback Brett Smith generate regularly.

What's less widely understood is that Colorado State is not a typical rivalry-game underdog primed to throw everything it has into a big revenge match. The reality in Fort Collins is that last week's demoralizing loss to San Jose State was the game the Rams hung their hats on. This team isn't braced for a big statement game; instead, it just flopped in one and this week knows it's being led to a huge defeat.

Score: Wyoming 63, Colorado State 28

Florida State Seminoles (minus-3) at Clemson Tigers
ATS pick: Clemson
[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Phil Sears
Florida State's Jimbo Fisher has coached 14 ACC games on the road, covering on just five.
The home team has won this game -- and gone on to win the ACC Atlantic division -- in each of the past four years. The home team has taken 11 of the past 12 meetings overall. This season the host is the best Clemson edition since the Danny Ford glory days. It is a team driven by the combination of senior triggerman Tajh Boyd and offensive coordinator Chad Morris, a duo we've called one of the greatest quarterback/playcaller batteries in the sport's history. Clemson also has ample talent at the skill positions, a veteran line and a defense that's much-improved in the second year under coordinator Brent Venables.

Yet this is the team that Jimbo Fisher's Seminoles are favored to beat. In Death Valley. With "ESPN College GameDay" on hand. In what the host perceives as the biggest game of the Dabo Swinney era. To live up to the favorite's billing, the 2013 Seminoles must overcome the loss of six assistant coaches, an almost incomprehensible four NFL draft picks from the defensive line alone and the head coach's own history.

Apart from bowls and games versus in-state rivals, Fisher has coached 11 games in which his team was an underdog or a single-digit favorite. He has covered two of them and won just four outright. Fisher has coached 14 ACC games away from Doak Campbell Stadium. He covered just five of those games, all against teams that either won fewer than four games that year or fired their head coaches before the end of the season. And the extra time to prepare is no edge to those who can't convert it to an advantage; after the midseason open date in each of Fisher's first three years, he's 0-3 ATS with two outright losses as a favorite.

The impressive pace at which Florida State assembles elite athletes shows no sign of abatement, but this staff is a long way from proving it can coach that talent to reach its full potential. Fisher's track record is downright ugly when Florida State doesn't have the opponent outmanned.

Score: Clemson 41, Florida State 35

Alabama Crimson Tide (minus-28) at Arkansas Razorbacks
ATS pick: Arkansas
Our dim view of 2013 Alabama did not extend to fading the Tide against a truly awful Kentucky team, but we're ready to resume operations. Arkansas was miserable last week, managing just 30 passing yards on 37 offensive plays in a blowout at the hands of the Gamecocks. Still, this is a well-coached, reasonably talented team with good toughness. Alabama is occasionally excellent but mostly inconsistent, by no means a well-oiled machine. This Tide edition still suffers from the intangible afflictions we've observed all year and has no business laying monster weight every week.

Score: Alabama 24, Arkansas 10

Nevada Wolf Pack at Boise State Broncos (minus-21)
ATS pick: Boise State
We've recommended selling Nevada all season, and the Pack have responded with a 1-4 ATS record. Two forgivable losses have this youngish Boise State team off the mainstream radar, but the Broncos remain well-trained and roundly capable in all three phases. We'll back them for a second straight week against a Nevada program very much in transition. An accomplished quarterback in Cody Fajardo and an accordingly decent offense -- along with a 3-3 record forged against super soft competition -- have kept some investors interested in the Wolf Pack, but the defense may not hold any opponent under 500 yards the rest of the season.

This is hardly Chris Petersen's best team, but the Smurfers always fundamentally know who they are and what they're doing. That's in contrast to an invading Pack bunch that's still learning the ropes, and the Broncos' fine track record as big home chalk also appeals. Petersen hasn't covered a game against UNLV since 2006, but he'll find new Pack boss Brian Polian weaker prey than Hall of Famer Chris Ault.

Score: Boise State 56, Nevada 17

Florida Gators (minus-3) at Missouri Tigers
ATS pick: Missouri
Relentlessly fading a Gators regime that managed just a 7-6 ATS record even during its high-water mark of 2012 should remain a key part of your game plan. This week Florida hits the road again after a physically draining loss at LSU, and we receive points at home with a quality Missouri team that's ready to rally around backup quarterback Maty Mauk.

Score: Missouri 24, Florida 17

Auburn Tigers at Texas A&M Aggies (minus-12.5)
ATS pick: Texas A&M
It's obvious that the Texas A&M offense is awesome and the defense is one of the weakest in the SEC. The current narrative is that Johnny Manziel is showing no ill effects from his offseason adventures and that the doubters have been silenced once and for all by his incredible playmaking.

Don't believe it. Manziel will always be an elite playmaker, but his ball security has gone from bad to awful, and it will be his turnovers that prevent the Aggies from earning any major prizes this year. This week, though, Kevin Sumlin's crew has its opponent outmanned, as a very banged-up Auburn team with no hope of slowing A&M's offense rolls into College Station just as the Aggies received a lesson in closing the door with a lead.

Score: Texas A&M 49, Auburn 24

Massachusetts Minutemen at Buffalo Bulls (minus-20.5)
ATS pick: Massachusetts
The only two MAC schools with a Northeastern rather than Midwestern culture are budding rivals, especially with both current head coaches former offensive assistants under Brian Kelly. Since surviving a five-overtime affair with Stony Brook, Buffalo has looked good in routing a trio of bad teams. We're not sold on this outfit, though, and will happily take the most points the Buffalo program has never been asked to lay with a confident UMass squad that led this game 13-0 at the half last season and is now coming off its first home win as an FBS member.

Score: Buffalo 24, Massachusetts 14

Connecticut Huskies at Cincinnati Bearcats (minus-14)
ATS pick: Connecticut
We endorsed the Huskies last week in interim coach T.J. Weist's debut, but although South Florida managed just 228 yards, the Bulls claimed a second consecutive win without benefit of an offensive touchdown. Connecticut will show major improvement on the offensive line this week, which should be enough to hang with a poor Cincinnati team that has already demonstrated it shouldn't be laying double digits to much of anybody.

Score: Cincinnati 24, Connecticut 17

RECOMMEND9TWEET0COMMENTS7EMAILPRINTSUBSCRIBE

Back