Brett Favre asks to be released

sporting news dude in last months issue said his best chances were in a tampa or a ravens uniform.

If the Packers took Favre back that basically fucks Rodgers up in his time in Green Bay I feel, unless he is a goody boy.

Favre has handled this poorly, no question about it. I don't care what he has accomplished, you can't expect to just be handed the starting position after the entire off-season has been used to move on and re-design the team both offensively and cap wise as well. He is now saying the Packers rushed a decision on him. If anything, he should have used "I've earned the time to wait it out," line then.

I am going to go with Minny, San Diego, or Houston (real longshot)

There is absolutely no chance that AJ Smith (SD) will sign Favre; it's not like Favre would be any sort of upgrade over Rivers, esp since he would have to learn an entirely new offense that Rivers has been schooled in the last 4 yrs.

I'd say Tampa, Carolina make sense

Minny no. TJackson is their man, no need to mess the balance of AP and TJ for 1 or two years.

Sources: Packers won't release Favre
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8335678/Sources:-Packers-won't-release-Favre#
By Jay Glazer
Jay Glazer is a Senior NFL Writer for FOXSports.com on MSN and also appears every week on FOX NFL Sunday as the network's NFL Insider.

Updated: July 11, 2008, 4:37 PM EST

It seems that Brett Favre isn't getting his way in Green Bay anymore.

The Packers legend asked the team for his unconditional release on Friday, but the organization has no intention of granting that request, FOXSports.com has learned. If anything, sources say, the team is prepared to welcome Favre back as a backup to Aaron Rodgers.

Rodgers has worked as the team's starter for the last five months and Green Bay has been operating under that assumption since Favre announced his retirement in the beginning of March. Favre re-affirmed his decision to retire at the end of March.

"The finality of (Favre's) decision to retire was accepted by the organization," the team said in a statement released Friday. "At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team."

Green Bay would likely trade Favre before releasing him, sources indicate. The team has the cap space to take on Favre's huge salary, but it would rather deal him than give him up for nothing, if those were the two options.
Friday's letter asking for his release is just the latest in what has been quite a soap opera involving Favre and the team this offseason.

As word of his desire to play leaked out, the team has treated the news largely as hearsay, as this is not the first time this offseason that Favre has made such a request.

In late March during the NFL Owners Meeting, Favre informed the team he wanted to play again, multiple sources have told FOXSports.com. Not only did he insist he was returning, both head coach Mike McCarthy and GM Ted Thompson agreed that he still had something left and they would welcome him back. Despite the fact that those close to Favre have stated Thompson did not want Favre back, Thompson was the deciding factor in agreeing it was not too late to have him un-retire at that time and start for the Packers in 2008.
<fstl:edgeinclude source="/name/public/FS/Misc/fantasyfootball"></fstl:edgeinclude>
In fact, team brass went as far as chartering a jet to fly to Mississippi to make it official later that week. The agreement was that the NFL's all-time leading passer would return for the year but help make it easier and palatable for Rodgers, who would have to wait another season to take the helm.

The group was set for this huge move when Favre suddenly phoned the team two days before the meeting was to take place and informed McCarthy that he had changed his mind yet again and was staying retired. While team officials were stunned by Favre's reversal, they made the decision to move on and draft his replacement, a move that Favre at the time understood. The Packers selected two quarterbacks in April's draft, Louisville's Brian Brohm in the 2nd round and LSU's Matt Flynn in the 7th round.

Then, a few weeks ago, Favre phoned the team stating he had that "itch" again to play. However, since he had jilted the Packers in March, the team simply took his latest request with a grain of salt. In addition, the team has put considerable time and attention into making Rodgers comfortable as the heir apparent.

The bottom line at this point is the soap opera is unfortunately growing and likely won't die any time soon.
---------------------------------------------------------

Packers Statement

The Green Bay Packers are aware of the latest developments regarding Brett Favre.

Brett earned and exercised the right to retire on his terms. We wanted him to return and welcomed him back on more than one occasion.
Brett's press conference and subsequent conversations in the following weeks illustrated his commitment to retirement.

The finality of his decision to retire was accepted by the organization. At that point, the Green Bay Packers made the commitment to move forward with our football team.

As a retired player, Brett has the option to apply for reinstatement with Commissioner Goodell. If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team.

As with all Packers greats, Brett's legacy will always be celebrated by our fans and the organization, regardless of any change in his personal intentions.

Brett and Deanna will always be a part of the Packers family.

That article I feel further illustrates my point where Favre asking for his release is a dick move on his part, as the Packers organization has already bent over backwards for him.

Fondy and Signal on suicide watch!!!

Well, well, well...I don't know what to think about this, but one of my good friends is in the NFL and played with Favre for parts of 2 years in Green Bay. Seems they became pretty good friends and my friend has said Favre is seriously considering signing with Minnesota when he gets his release.

I'm mildly excited at this point, but if #4 signs with Minnesota the entire state of Wisconsin is officially on suicide watch!

Mortenson just reported Green Bay will most likely grant him his release. They're done with him.

Favre serious about return but won't be released

By Tom Silverstein

Friday, Jul 11 2008, 04:38 PM

There is no question that quarterback Brett Favre is serious about his return to the NFL.
That was confirmed this afternoon by sources familiar with the quarterback and his decision to request his release from the Green Bay Packers. As ESPN.com reported today, Favre and his agent had a conference call with general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy Tuesday to discuss his possible return to the team.
During that call, Favre made it clear he wants to play again, according to one source with knowledge of the situation. When Thompson and McCarthy essentially told him they couldn't take him back, he and Cook fired off a letter asking for his release.
What sources close to the situation will tell you is that under no circumstances will the Packers release Favre from his contract. Trade him, possibly, but release him, never.
Thompson said so, albeit in a masked reference, in the statement the club released minutes ago.
"As a retired player, Brett has the option to apply for reinstatement with commissioner Goodell. If that were to occur, he would become an active member of the Green Bay Packers. As always, the Packers will do what's right and in the best interest of the team."
As one league source pointed out, what would fans do to Thompson if he allowed Favre to wind up with the Minnesota Vikings, who are one of the teams who would make a strong push for him? Thus, Thompson will do what's "in the best interest of the team," and that means not let him fall into the hands of NFC North brethren.
There is speculation that Favre and his agent, James (Bus) Cook, already have a team picked out. A client of Cook's recently told a friend that Miami and Carolina were the teams that were Favre's most likely landing place, and probably the only way he would know that is if discussions had already taken place with those teams.
According to ESPN.com, which has become the medium through which Favre and his agent most often reveal their intentions, Cook's letter to the Packers suggested that the Packers owed it to Favre to release him so he could sign with the team of his choice.
But as Thompson has shown during his tenure, he will only do what he considers the right thing for the organization. His stubbornness with that conviction -- witness his unwillingness to spend big money on free agents -- has earned him plenty of criticism, and his reluctance to allow Favre to come back has added to that onslaught.
However, letting Favre walk away, potentially to a division rival, with no compensation whatsoever would undermine his leadership of the organization. If Favre wants to play, it will have to be a team of which the Packers approve.
If Favre submits his reinstatement letter to the NFL office, the Packers will begin offering him up for a trade. It's possible they'll give Cook permission to negotiate with other teams, but Thompson will put his top two lieutenants, directors of football operations Reggie McKenzie and John Schneider, on the case and tell them to find the best deal possible.
Don't forget the San Francisco 49ers received a player and a first-round pick from the Kansas City Chiefs for Joe Montana and a third-round pick when the legendary quarterback was dealt near the end of his career. Favre has more value now than Montana - who was coming off a back injury -- did then, and the Packers could find themselves receiving interest from a number of teams.
It may sound like ruthless business, but that's what the NFL is about, and if his hand is forced, Thompson has shown he will protect the Packers' interests. Let the bidding begin.

ya, release him. thats real smart. how do you get rid of you best qb and get nothing in return. then let him go to your toughest competitor next year. makes sense. go tt.

Was I The Only One That KNEW, He Wasn't Really Gonna Retire In The First Place?! He LOVES The Spot Light...

Good for the Packers, and I agree with Fondy. Favre bashed the team indirectly during the retirement PC. He stated that he didn't feel like they could get back to the Super Bowl. If I were a Packer player or fan, I wouldn't want that attitude on my team, even if the guy is a legend.

As far as teams that he could go to that make a little sense:Jets, Dolphins, Ravens, Texans?,Chiefs, Vikings, Bears, Falcons, Bucs, 49ers?,Cardinals?

"Sources close to the situation" insist that under no circumstances will the Packers release Brett Favre from his contract.

GM Ted Thompson said as much yesterday, but this report puts it more clearly: a trade is a possibility, but a release simply won't happen. If Favre's agent, Bus Cooke, can't broker a trade, then the Packers will have to decide how they want to proceed with their Hall of Fame quarterback. Jul. 12 - 11:19 am et

Favre oh Favre oh Favre.

"We've communicated that to Brett, that we have since moved forward," Thompson said. "At the same time, we've never said that there couldn't be some role that he might play here. But I would understand his point that he would want to play."
When asked whether that role might be as a backup or coach, Thompson said: "not a coach."
Added McCarthy: "He did ask about that, though."

Jeez. 3yrs and 39 mil.

I'm really not all that clear on how the cap works, but wouldn't that hit the packers for a shit-ton of money over the next few years?

Heres a great article/blog on Favre and the events that led to this. Some of this shit I have never heard of. Also shows how much he has dicked around the Packers this offseason

Favre retirement timeline

By Tom Silverstein

Saturday, Jul 12 2008, 06:06 PM

The following is a timeline provided by Packers general manager Ted Thompson of the off-season dealings with quarterback Brett Favre. All of the information comes from Thompson and several sources close to Favre did not return phone messages seeking verification of Thompson's account.
  • Jan. 20, 2008 - The Packers lose in overtime to the New York Giants in the NFC Championship Game. Both Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy speak briefly to Favre before he returns home to Hattiesburg, Miss.
  • Jan. 30 - McCarthy and Favre are both at the Super Bowl media center in Phoenix to collect post-season awards and spent about an hour chatting. The two talk again when McCarthy is at the Pro Bowl in Honolulu and later when McCarthy returns home.
  • Feb. 22 - Sometime during the scouting combine Thompson calls Favre because he had heard reports that the quarterback was mad he hadn't called him. "I called him and he said, 'Well I don't know where you're getting that from, because that's not true.'" Thompson said he reassured Favre he was wanted back and told him McCarthy would be the one communicating with him most often.
  • Feb. 25 - McCarthy calls Favre on trip back from combine and discusses how he might be able to lesson the quarterback's load and whether Favre can commit 100%.
  • Feb. 29 - Favre calls McCarthy and tells him if he had to make a decision now, he would retire. McCarthy tells him to think about it over the weekend and both think Favre will play. "Mike talked to him about, ‘Well, what if we change (reduce) some reps or off-season things' and things like that and he was pretty sure that he wanted to retire."
  • March 3 - Favre calls McCarthy at a function in Austin, Texas, and tells him he's retiring. McCarthy asked if he needed more time and he said no. Favre tells him he can't commit 100%. McCarthy flies back to Green Bay.
  • March 4 - Thompson, McCarthy and public relations director Jeff Blumb are in Thompson's office and Blumb reaches Favre on his cell phone. "Jeff spoke for a few minutes and then I talked to Brett for I don't know, 20 minutes, 15 minutes, something like that. We got to the point where he wanted to go ahead and make the announcement here and then I think Jeff got back on the phone and then they worked it out that he would come up here and do the press conference."
  • March 6 - Favre conducts retirement press conference.
  • Week of March 24 - Offensive line coach James Campen, who is visiting Louisiana, stops in to see Favre at his Mississippi home and is asked by Favre whether he thinks the Packers would take him back. Campen reports the conversation to McCarthy and Thompson. McCarthy calls Favre and hears the same things Campen did.
  • March 27 - Thompson and McCarthy decide they would be fine with Favre returning even though Aaron Rodgers is set to begin off-season workouts as the starter, and they inform Favre. "Mike said, ‘Ted and I talked and we said, fine.' But we'd like to come see you, and Brett was kind of excited that we were coming to see him." In preparation to leave for the owners meetings in West Palm Beach, March 30-April 3, they arrange to meet with Favre and wife, Deanna.
  • March 29 - McCarthy makes plans to fly to Hattiesburg on April 1 to make plans for Favre's return. McCarthy is leaving for evening Mass when Favre calls to inform him he has changed his mind. "We were all set for them, but Brett called back and that he and Deanna had a long talk about it and they were going to stick with their original decision."
  • May 6 - Thompson is down South and decides to pay a visit to Favre at his home. "I called him and said I am thinking about seeing you, I don't have any agenda or anything. So I did, I went and visited. Had lunch sat out on the veranda. We had a long talk and good talk. Nothing really came up other than like with any retired player, you could tell there were a few things that he would throw in there; 'there might be some doubts, I may change my mind,' or something like that. And that was that."
  • June 8 - Campen goes to Favre's home and has a long talk with Favre and leaves feeling Favre wants to return.
  • June 20 -- Favre calls McCarthy and the two have a 45-minute conversation in which Favre tells him he might want to play again. "There was more wondering, you know, what ifs." McCarthy and Thompson go on vacation for the July 4th weekend.
  • July 4 - Thompson receives a text message from Favre and sends a message back at about 8 p.m. back telling him he's traveling and can they talk on Monday? "By Monday I hadn't heard back from him. I sent him back a text saying, ‘Haven't heard from ya, hope you're getting these messages, can we talk Tuesday at noon?' He got back to me and said 'OK,' that it would be better sooner, but I was kind of doing some other things so we set up a conference call."
  • July 8 - Favre and his agent, James (Bus) Cook ask Thompson for Favre's release during the conference call. It's understood Favre won't be the starter in Green Bay. "There were, I think, conversations with Mike where both parties acknowledged that time had gone by and the Packers had been asked to move on, or move forward, or whatever. That's what they were thinking there (about asking for his release)."
  • July 11 - Thompson receives a letter from Favre and Cook formally asking for Favre to be released.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolded what I thought was f'ed up. So basically he switched back and forth 3 times this offseason already. I can see why the Packers want to move on now. They wanted him back in the end of March he said hes sticking to retirement, the Packers go draft 2 QB's and now he wants back. Total BS

Back