Braves vs Dodgers Preview Article (Thursday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Dodgers Will Force Braves to Walk Trail of Tears

The Braves begin a four-game set in Atlanta against the Dodgers on Thursday at 7:35 ET on the MLB Network. Key trends and match-up detail point to an LA victory.

Dodgers at Braves

MLB Pick: Dodgers 1H

LA’s Rich Hill (3-4, 4.26 ERA) is a career second-half pitcher. After the All-Star Break, his career ERA is 3.59 and career FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) 3.58. Conversely, his ERA and FIP are both well over 4.00 in the first half. Hill relies primarily on a fastball-curveball combo. Both pitches make up 97% of his arsenal. He achieves many strikeouts without much velocity. Instead, he trusts spin rate, changing the batter’s eye level, the velocity differential of his pitches, and their intense movement. These elements create the same effect of strong velocity: making batters struggle to adjust to and keep up with his pitches.

Compared with 650 pitchers, HIll’s fastball ranks in the top 50 in spin rate. Spin makes a fastball look like it’s rising so that batters tend to swing underneath it and hit a fly ball or whiff. Hill’s curveball is his most famous pitch. It ranks 16th in spin rate out of 378 pitchers. It’s his favorite pitch to throw with two strikes and the one that has the highest strikeout rate. His fastball and curve play well off each other. He tends to elevate the former and keep the latter down in the zone so that the batter has to adjust his eye level. But he’s not afraid to surprise batters even more by placing his curve in the middle or upper parts of the zone. Furthermore, their 15 mph velocity differential entices batters to swing ahead of his curveballs and fall behind his fastballs. Lastly, the strong horizontal and vertical movement of both pitches makes them elusive.

When Hill is on his game, he has these different elements working for him. Besides the fact that he is at his best in the second half of seasons, the Braves are 2-5 in their last seven home games. Also, Hill tends to do better against left-handed batters. They’re hitting .214 and slugging .268 against him, managing only three extra-base hits in 70 total batters faced. Hill matches up well against the Braves, whose best two hitters are left-handed. Lastly, based on the metric SLG-xSLG, which compares a team’s actual slugging rate with what it should be based on quality of contact, the Braves are the second-most overachieving team against lefties and the second-most against HIll’s top two pitches, the fastball and curve from lefties, so they are statistically due to regress.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Atlanta’s Anibal Sanchez (5-2, 2.76 ERA) has been pitching worse than it appears on the surface. His FIP is 3.88. He’s been benefitting from a BABIP (batting average of balls in play) .57 lower than his career average and by stranding baserunners at an unsustainably high 82.8% rate.

Sanchez relies on a fastball-cutter-change combo. He throws all three pitches with between 20% and 30% frequency. His fastball is his most vulnerable pitch, which is problematic because it’s his favorite pitch with a 0-0 or even count. Opponents are slugging .674 against it. Even though opponents are metrically underachieving against his change-up, I think it will continue to do well because he is locating it more frequently in the lowest row of the zone. But his cutter is nothing special in terms of location, velocity, or movement, compared with his career averages. Opponents are strongly underachieving against it based on quality of contact and his opposing slugging rate against this pitch will rise.

The Dodgers hit Sanchez well. In 75 career at-bats, they’re batting .387 and slugging .693. Watch for Manny Machado, who is 6-for-12 with a double and two homers against him. The Dodgers rank ninth in slugging against Sanchez’ top three pitches, the fastball, cutter, and change-up from righties, and are metrically strongly underachieving. Since they woke up from their April and May slump, they’re 7-1 in their last eight road openers.

Last edited:
Looking forward to Thursday. Waited all year to use this title for a Braves game lol and get to cheer with our LA amigo @bee172

Bee, which LA gang do you belong to? You a Compton man? :)

Anibal has some things he doing really well that makes me think he can continue to outperform his metrics. I know you big on saying fip is era without luck but I find what they consider luck to often be not luck at all but guys knowing how to pitch. Some the analytics die hards will say a pitcher due to regress and he will outperform fip for years then when he starts to decline they say “see I told you he was due to regress” which total bs imho. I think there a place for all of it but strongly disagree w calling era outdated, imo it still means something to me how many runs a guy allows. Never been big on hill, I have to dig further but I like braves vs lefties, havnt even seen line yet but assuming braves are dogs it will either be atl or pass for me.

I don't trust either pen. I know you're not big on Anibal, i'm not sold on him either. I just like Rich and Doyers' lineup more tonight

But yea sorry Bee I think i've lost every article since the change to submission deadline besides one so I think you're Dodgers are done for lol

Looking forward to Thursday. Waited all year to use this title for a Braves game lol and get to cheer with our LA amigo @bee172

Bee, which LA gang do you belong to? You a Compton man? :)

4 hunnnnniddd!!!!!

I remember in elementary school, think it was 5th grade, the cop teaching us the DARE (Drugs Are Really Expensive) Program mentioned that the 3 most dangerous words in LA at the time, Where You From!? Probably the realest and truest shit a cop ever said.. on that note, I grew up far from Compton but did see my fair share of gang violence.

As for the Doyers today, Hill been spinning the ball decent lately if I remember correctly. Pitched into the 7th inning last start which is real good for him. Our bats cooled in Philly and they beat us. Not sure of how we do in Atl on last trips but good luck on your wager.

#LADetermined

This one is the least dirtiest I think lol:

Neopolitan
To have sex with 3 women at the same time; a blonde, a brunette, and a redhead(vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry, respectively)

Just to update you Cavs, homeboy from bmw comes back at me today with “are you open to sunset orange as a color choice? I have two with black interior.” Mind you I asked for mineral grey metallic lol. I mean yeah I had the orange as a loaner, it’s nice for a few days or a week, not 3 damn years. I ask for metallic grey and he asks about orange. Smdh.

Just to update you Cavs, homeboy from bmw comes back at me today with “are you open to sunset orange as a color choice? I have two with black interior.” Mind you I asked for mineral grey metallic lol. I mean yeah I had the orange as a loaner, it’s nice for a few days or a week, not 3 damn years. I ask for metallic grey and he asks about orange. Smdh.

Ehh yeah I see where that's annoying, but defo not nearly as bad as the putting money down shit that he told you, I still can't believe he said that, as if you were a lock to buy from him no matter how big a dick he is

Ehh yeah I see where that's annoying, but defo not nearly as bad as the putting money down shit that he told you, I still can't believe he said that, as if you were a lock to buy from him no matter how big a dick he is

Yeah that was quite possibly the douchiest comment a sales guy has said to me. The sad part is my homie who has done tons of business w this guy for himself and his family called this salesman and gave him my info and told him I need a favor, hook my boy up, do right by him like you have with me, don’t fuck around. He was tight when I told him the games his sales guy is playing lol

It actually looks nice. Not gonna lie, but it’s like an attention grabber and cool like I said for a week but not day in day out. Next he’s gonna try beige or brown. Anything but what I want lol

Yea orange stands out like mad. I wonder if theres a statistic which color car gets most speeding tickets. Prob orange cause cops be human too (tho not really lol)

Yeah that was quite possibly the douchiest comment a sales guy has said to me. The sad part is my homie who has done tons of business w this guy for himself and his family called this salesman and gave him my info and told him I need a favor, hook my boy up, do right by him like you have with me, don’t fuck around. He was tight when I told him the games his sales guy is playing lol

Your homie gotta have another talk with him set him straight lol especially cause hes also doing him a favor sending business his way!

Yea orange stands out like mad. I wonder if theres a statistic which color car gets most speeding tickets. Prob orange cause cops be human too (tho not really lol)

It used to be red obviously, but yeah now it’s prob orange and the flourescent green although not too many of those. They gave me a tricked out orange one as a loaner and I was like man you know I’m getting pulled over driving home.

It used to be red obviously, but yeah now it’s prob orange and the flourescent green although not too many of those. They gave me a tricked out orange one as a loaner and I was like man you know I’m getting pulled over driving home.

They prob get a small cut from police department for sellin those wacky colors lol

I like red much more. Red makes you aggressive and aggressive driving is always the best way to drive

Your homie gotta have another talk with him set him straight lol especially cause hes also doing him a favor sending business his way!

He was legit pissed last night when I showed him the quotes and all the extra garbage he was trying to push on me driving price up. He was like man I was trying to make it easy on him, give him a lay up. You want the car, this is what he wants, get it done, make your commission, and instead he’s playing games. He said next time he talks to him he’s gonna casually ask about it and then be like quit dicking around or you’re gonna lose the sale

Back