Bo don't know coaching at Nebby

yeah what Schrute said... seems risky to get rid of Bo for a 61 year old coach whos won 10 games once in his career.

[TABLE="class: wikitable"]
<tbody>[TR]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2010[/TD]
[TD]Oregon State[/TD]
[TD]5–7[/TD]
[TD]4–5[/TD]
[TD]T–5th[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="align: right"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2011[/TD]
[TD]Oregon State[/TD]
[TD]3–9[/TD]
[TD]3–6[/TD]
[TD]5th <small>(North)</small>[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2012[/TD]
[TD]Oregon State[/TD]
[TD]9–4[/TD]
[TD]6–3[/TD]
[TD]3rd <small>(North)</small>[/TD]
[TD]L Alamo[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]19[/TD]
[TD="align: right"]20[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2013[/TD]
[TD]Oregon State[/TD]
[TD]7–6[/TD]
[TD]4–5[/TD]
[TD]T–4th <small>(North)</small>[/TD]
[TD]W Hawaii[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]2014[/TD]
[TD]Oregon State[/TD]
[TD]5–7[/TD]
[TD]2–7[/TD]
[TD]T–5th <small>(North)</small>[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

i dunno but they're some big program they should have a decent selection. would rather swing and miss with a young guy than get some stale old guy with little upside

To compare his potential at Nebraska and what he did at Oregon State is like comparing your next vacation in Tahiti to the one you just took in Cleveland

michigan swung and missed with hoke but he was young and turned around two programs and had a ton of upside

I'm just really surprised he left, figured he would retire in Corvallis, he's a legend there

Would be different if he had any ties to the state or relationships there but they just hired a 61 year old guy with zero ties to the area. I don't even want to call it a bad hire. However Mike Riley is a guy they could have hired in February when 6 other elite candidates told them no. There was zero reason to jump the gun on a hire of Mike Riley

cant wait for cubskers thoughts

I literally was going to type the exact same thing, Monk.

So let me see if I understand this correctly...Nebraska in its last 3 head coaches (Solich, Callahan and Pellini) had 2 losing seasons (over 20 years) and both of them were under Callahan's regime. Solich and Pellini (between the 2) only won LESS THAN 9 games only one time...so this same school that feels 9 wins isn't a high enough standard for its football program goes out and hires a 61-year-old coach who has had 6 LOSING SEASONS at a mid-level Pac-10/12 school?

I clearly must not be understanding this new math...because this logic makes about as much sense as watering a plastic plant.

Riley = great, great guy, decent coach. As far as a Nebraska hire? less-than-stellar and i predict it ends badly..

It might be time for some of these schools to admit it isn't the mid 90s any more.....some of these schools are just no longer relevant. Take your 8-9 wins a year and move on.

I think it's more about personalities. They are going from one of the biggest DB's in college football to a great guy. Riley can coach, he will need a good staff with recruiting ties to Nebby though. Definitely not what I was expecting.

Seems like Nebraska could have waited a few more weeks before landing on Riley.

When first announced, I was in WTF mode. Now that it's settled a bit, I'm on the fence. It will depend on who he gets to fill out the staff with. I will say that comparing 7 or 8 wins at OSU with 9 at Nebraska is apples to oranges. Go look at the 9 wins from this last season and tell me which coach with the current Neb roster wouldn't have won 9. Pelini is a below average coach. Anyone who watched Nebraska closely for the last 5 years knows this. Nebraska played well beneath their talent level. With an above avg coach, this talent wins 10 or 11 games against the schedule they faced. I'm sorry, but Nebraska should lose to Minnesota maybe once every ten years, not two years in a row. Recruiting will be what makes the real difference going forward Pelini took a lax approach to recruiting. Someone with a real approach to recruiting should improve on Pelini's 25-30ish ranked classes. Is Riley that guy? I don't know. People love this "they should happy with 9 wins" bullshit. I'm sorry, but no. When you play 2-3 clown show teams OOC, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, and whatever other scrub big ten teams out there against a team with the resources of Nebraska, 9 wins is a minimum standard. I hope to hell that Riley knows this. If Bo, as below avg as he was, could crank out 9, then yes, Nebraska still should be a program competing every year for conf titles and occasionally, be in the national picture.

Assuming he can recruit, it's a great hire. You go from one of the worst game week prep coaches and one of the worst gameday coaches to one of the best game week prep coaches and one of the best gameday coaches. If he gets the talent they will be better for having been coached by him. You can point at his record but he has done a lot with less up there. A few years there he was putting out about the best run defense schemes in the land .. a little less relevant in todays pussball but the man can coach.

When first announced, I was in WTF mode. Now that it's settled a bit, I'm on the fence. It will depend on who he gets to fill out the staff with. I will say that comparing 7 or 8 wins at OSU with 9 at Nebraska is apples to oranges. Go look at the 9 wins from this last season and tell me which coach with the current Neb roster wouldn't have won 9. Pelini is a below average coach. Anyone who watched Nebraska closely for the last 5 years knows this. Nebraska played well beneath their talent level. With an above avg coach, this talent wins 10 or 11 games against the schedule they faced. I'm sorry, but Nebraska should lose to Minnesota maybe once every ten years, not two years in a row. Recruiting will be what makes the real difference going forward Pelini took a lax approach to recruiting. Someone with a real approach to recruiting should improve on Pelini's 25-30ish ranked classes. Is Riley that guy? I don't know. People love this "they should happy with 9 wins" bullshit. I'm sorry, but no. When you play 2-3 clown show teams OOC, Illinois, Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, and whatever other scrub big ten teams out there against a team with the resources of Nebraska, 9 wins is a minimum standard. I hope to hell that Riley knows this. If Bo, as below avg as he was, could crank out 9, then yes, Nebraska still should be a program competing every year for conf titles and occasionally, be in the national picture.

Why the fuck would a kid go to Nebraska over Texas, A&M, OU, or Baylor? Lets stay in conference, because you can add in Ohio State, Wisconsin, and maybe MSU? We haven't even begun to discuss the SEC.

Kids now adays don't give a shit that you guys won a bunch of titles in the 90s. They were still shitting there pants back then. Thats why the best coach went to Florida and not Nebraska....Nebraska Football just isn't relevant as it once was to people outside of Nebraska.

I can at least say in Arizona there are more Nebraska bars than any other college team I know of, followed by Wisconsin and maybe Oklahoma.

Nebraska is not going to get the cream of the crop recruits. But they can get a few difference makers each year and like has been said here, Riley can develop some non-blue chip guys into all conference caliber.

What I really came here to post is I ran threw my old Phil Steele books and wanted to see how he did vs ranked teams. Only counting his 2nd run at Ore St since 2003 Riley has gone just 13-32 vs ranked teams. Beating the right teams? I think the Riley hire says alot more about the kind of sideline disposition and personality than winning the right games.

Agree the schedule is lighting here than in the PAC 12. Having to play Oregon and Stanford every year and then throw in an Arizona school and USC/UCLA every now and then, the schedules don't compare. However, in two of the next 3 years Nebraska does have to play tOSU and in all 3Wisky. That and they have home-and-home with Oregon in 2016 and '17. Tougher slate than Bo faced the last couple years.

Future schedules courtesy of Phil's site:
NEBRASKA CORNHUSKERS [TABLE="class: excel1741"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TD="class: excel1742, colspan: 3"]2015[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1742"][/TD]
[TD="class: excel1742, colspan: 3"]2016[/TD]
[TD][/TD]
[TD="class: excel1742, colspan: 3"]2017[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: excel1745"]9/5[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743, width: 24"][/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743, width: 169"]BYU[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"][/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745, width: 45"]9/3[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1746, width: 24"][/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743, width: 156"]Fresno St[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745, width: 49"]9/9[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1700, width: 25"]
at​
[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743, width: 139"]Oregon[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: excel1745"]9/12[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]South Alabama[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]9/10[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1746"][/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Wyoming[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]9/16[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1700"][/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Northern Illinois[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: excel1745"]9/19[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]at[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Miami FL[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]9/17[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Oregon[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]9/23[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Rutgers[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: excel1745"]9/26[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Southern Miss[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]9/24[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]9/30[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1700"]
at​
[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Illinois[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: excel1745"]10/3[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]10/1[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]10/7[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Wisconsin[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: excel1745"]10/10[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]10/8[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1746"]at[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Northwestern[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]10/14[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Ohio St[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: excel1745"]10/17[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Minnesota[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]10/15[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Indiana[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]10/28[/TD]
at​
[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Purdue[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: excel1745"]10/24[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]10/22[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]11/4[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: excel1745"]10/31[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]10/29[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]11/11[/TD]
at​
[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: excel1745"]11/7[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Michigan St[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]11/5[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Ohio St[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]11/18[/TD]
at​
[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Penn St[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: excel1745"]11/14[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1747"]at[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Rutgers[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]11/12[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]11/24[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1744"][/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Iowa[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: excel1745"]11/21[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]11/19[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]Maryland[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]TBA[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]TBA[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: excel1745"]11/27[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]11/25[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1745"]TBA[/TD]
[TD="class: excel1743"]TBA[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Something maybe a bit more surprising than Neb hiring him is the fact he left Ore St. Wasn't his Dad a Ore St assistant coach? Riley was kind of a favorite son there I thought even though he didn't play there. Left once, came back. Was courted by USC at once and didn't take that job. Not sure he is the type to jump ship for money. Wonder if there is something that we don't know about Ore St, there must be for him to want to leave relatively close to when you'd think he be thinking about retirement in the next 10 years.

I'm sorry to see Reily go. A fantastic coach. Like many I thought he was at Corv for life.

The last few years he hasn't got the recruits he had the previous half dozen years, other programs are just too hard to compete with. He will recruit the west coast, and he will also recruit Texas. Like most head coaches he is only as good as his assistants, and Bankers defense has been going backwards with the level of recruits.

He got winning records by putting inferior athletes on the field against better teams. Will equal talent against opponents he will match Bo's efforts. With superior talent Nebraska will be knocking on the door of the championship game every year. The players will love him, as will the fanbase

the fact he is 6-2 in Bowl games shows he can prepare a team

I'm sorry to see Reily go. A fantastic coach. Like many I thought he was at Corv for life.

The last few years he hasn't got the recruits he had the previous half dozen years, other programs are just too hard to compete with. He will recruit the west coast, and he will also recruit Texas. Like most head coaches he is only as good as his assistants, and Bankers defense has been going backwards with the level of recruits.

He got winning records by putting inferior athletes on the field against better teams. Will equal talent against opponents he will match Bo's efforts. With superior talent Nebraska will be knocking on the door of the championship game every year. The players will love him, as will the fanbase

the fact he is 6-2 in Bowl games shows he can prepare a team
think so? I, like you likely, remember the days of Nebby champ ball.....does that dog still hunt? I am not sure......

They certainly could, and maybe should, be knocking on the door of a conference championship every season. No reason they can't finish 1st or 2nd every year in the division and reasonable expectation to win one of those every now and then - or atleast not get blown out like a Bo team would.. National Championship....that is a different story.

Why the fuck would a kid go to Nebraska over Texas, A&M, OU, or Baylor? Lets stay in conference, because you can add in Ohio State, Wisconsin, and maybe MSU? We haven't even begun to discuss the SEC.

Kids now adays don't give a shit that you guys won a bunch of titles in the 90s. They were still shitting there pants back then. Thats why the best coach went to Florida and not Nebraska....Nebraska Football just isn't relevant as it once was to people outside of Nebraska.

they already do and that was with less than stellar effort with a less than stellar staff. You realize that Nebraska outrecruits Wisconsin and Michigan St easily virtually every year, right?

just to go through last year's recruits.

QB Zach Darlington, 4 star from Florida, picked NU over Ohio St., Old Piss, Va Tech
OL Nick Gates, 4 star from national power Bishop Gorman in Vegas picked NU over Bama, both Zona schools, Oregon, OU, A&M, USC, UCLA, basically everyone
WR Monte Harrison (eventually signed with the Brewers as a first rd mlb pick), 4 star from MO, picked NU over Arky, Misery, Sparty
DE Joe Keels, JUCO, picked NU over Wisky, Boise, WV, Penn St
DT Peyton Newell, high 3 star from KS, picked NU over both zona schools, Arky, Baylor, Jorja, Sparty, USC, UCLA, TCU, Wisky, and 10 other good schools
RB Mikale Wilbon, 4 star out of Chicago, picked NU over both zona schools, Missouri, Piss St, Arky, and GA Tech
DB Trai Mosely, 3 star out of Texas, picked NU over OU and Baylor

When Neb gets kids on campus for a game, they do very, very well against anyone. The reasons are obvious - outstanding facilties and outstanding fan support. One major criticism of Bo is that he just didn't do enough to get more kids to games for OVs. There are certainly challenges in getting kids to Lincoln, esp for early games. It can be overcome by a great plan and hard work. Let's hope Riley brings both.

My point earlier with the AZ bar scene is a that the fan base is a national one that is fucking LARGE. Have seen the same thing in San Diego and LA as well, there are bases of Husker fans in pretty populated areas for recruits. They will still get some stud players from fertile recruiting grounds because they are Nebraska.

In retrospect, Carr was a good coach that appeared to run a program the right way. I dont recall much turmoil out of Wolverine land.

The only thing I will remember from the Brady Hoke era is Hoke taking Rich Rod's team to the Rose Bowl or where ever he took them in the first year and then doing nothing with the the team at all after that.

It might be time for some of these schools to admit it isn't the mid 90s any more.....some of these schools are just no longer relevant. Take your 8-9 wins a year and move on.

It took 68 posts for the truth to reveal itself.

Slowly but surely things are leaking out today about Riley and a rift with the administration. I believe it. About the only explanation that makes sense.

Only thing I know about YSU begins and ends with Jim Tressel coached there. I do know that Youngstown, the city, is not a destination city.

Apparently Nebraska is on the hook for any difference between what they owe him (1.8 million per for the next 4 years) and his current salary, which is $150,000 at Youngstown. Hard to blame him for taking that gig, no pressure at all and still cashing. NU can't be happy about this.

Bo will get a honeymoon in his hometown, but there will be pressure. Attendance is horrible. The Bo hire will provide an uptick at first for ticket sales, but winning and playoffs is what they want. I live near Y town. With 3-time IAA National Champion head coach Tressel now YSU President there will be pressure to make playoff appearances and then advance in them. Tough league though in Missouri Valley Conf. YSU made the playoffs once since Tressel left after the 2000 season. We'll see what Bo can do. I thought he would take a coordinator position at a decent school, but guess he wants to return home. Or maybe his phone wasn't ringing much the other way.

Everyone here is a fan of all the Y-town coaches. You go in bars and you'll see an Oklahoma and UK banner or flag for Stoops and a Nebraska one for Bo. There will be renewed interest in the local YSU team now. But if Bo doesn't win there...failing in your hometown on a local level will be much worse for him than 1000 miles away in Lincoln when the Y-town fans looked on from a distance, not really knowing what happened or went wrong as opposed to it being right underneath their noses and the topic of local reporting. Hopefully for everyone involved he can win here.

Apparently Nebraska is on the hook for any difference between what they owe him (1.8 million per for the next 4 years) and his current salary, which is $150,000 at Youngstown. Hard to blame him for taking that gig, no pressure at all and still cashing. NU can't be happy about this.

no, we are very happy. 7 mil is a small price to pay and we have and make plenty of money.

I think it's the verbiage in the contract about making his best attempt at finding a comparable job, or something like that, that's would be perturbing. And FWIW I think Mike Reilly is 10x the coach that Bo is, whether that translates to wins will be interesting.

i think everyone around here knows no one is going to be dumb enough to let him get a comparable job.

Back