Bills and Bengals officially...

Only real option, guessing this was like suspending the game, where decision was made awhile ago but they didnt release it publicly till there was more concrete news on Hamlin'

I mentioned drawing of lots monday night, but this makes more sense

Wonder where the neutral site would be

If I’m reading the ESPN article correctly, they are talking about adding an 8th team to both afc &nfc. Got to clear through players union. How the fuck is that fair to the teams that rested guys last week I.E Tennessee is the first that comes to mind
Great point

Pretty sweet deal for KC.....win and get a bye week and half a stadium with your fans instead of traveling to Buffalo.

So if Baltimore wins this week and LAC wins, Cincy-Baltimore home team would be determined by coin flip, but if LAC lose Baltimore goes to Tenn or Jax? AFC North decided by the result of LAC-Denver is an odd decision.

Pretty sweet deal for KC.....win and get a bye week and half a stadium with your fans instead of traveling to Buffalo.

So if Baltimore wins this week and LAC wins, Cincy-Baltimore home team would be determined by coin flip, but if LAC lose Baltimore goes to Tenn or Jax? AFC North decided by the result of LAC-Denver is an odd decision.

It isn’t being decided by the LAC/Den game, Cinci already won the division, regardless of outcome on Sunday. If they were to end up meeting in playoffs, that game would be decided by a coin flip, which seems fair if Baltimore beat Cinci twice and couldn’t win division based on the canceled game alone.

So is it decided or is 8 teams still in play?

I don’t think 8 teams was ever really in play. That idea seemed way to disruptive, would have needed the NFLPA on board (you would assume), and wouldn’t have made much sense for reasons already mentioned and some that probably haven’t been brought up yet.

Like why would the NFC have to go to 8 teams just because this happened? Or why would one division have 7 teams and one 8 if that was the plan? It seemed really far-fetched all along.

I don’t think 8 teams was ever really in play. That idea seemed way to disruptive, would have needed the NFLPA on board (you would assume), and wouldn’t have made much sense for reasons already mentioned and some that probably haven’t been brought up yet.

Like why would the NFC have to go to 8 teams just because this happened? Or why would one division have 7 teams and one 8 if that was the plan? It seemed really far-fetched all along.
Ya that never made sense to me

This is way easier

Ya that never made sense to me

This is way easier

This is from the article that was posted a few posts up….Smith said it hadn’t ever even been discussed.

ProFootballTalk discussed a concept of expanding the AFC and NFC playoff fields from seven to eight teams to mitigate the challenge of determining a top seed in the AFC should BillsBengalsnot be played. Adding an eighth playoff team in each conference isn’t something that has been discussed, NFLPA Executive Director DeMaurice Smith said during a conference call Thursday, but doing so would require additional bargaining to ensure those eighth team players and the teams that would have received a bye by being the No. 1 seed were receiving additional compensation.

It isn’t being decided by the LAC/Den game, Cinci already won the division, regardless of outcome on Sunday. If they were to end up meeting in playoffs, that game would be decided by a coin flip, which seems fair if Baltimore beat Cinci twice and couldn’t win division based on the canceled game alone.

If Baltimore wins, the LAC/Den game decides whether or not they have a chance, a coin flip chance, at a home game in the wildcard. DESPITE beating Cincy twice.

LAC wins - Cincy/Baltimore meet in the wildcard, coin flip for home game (a defacto division title perk regardless of what the NFL says about who "wins" the North).

LAC loses - Baltimore gets a road trip to either Jax or Tennessee.

If Baltimore wins, the LAC/Den game decides whether or not they have a chance, a coin flip chance, at a home game in the wildcard. DESPITE beating Cincy twice.

LAC wins - Cincy/Baltimore meet in the wildcard, coin flip for home game (a defacto division title perk regardless of what the NFL says about who "wins" the North).

LAC loses - Baltimore gets a road trip to either Jax or Tennessee.

Right, but Cinci wins the division regardless is what I meant. I just understand what you’re saying and even said much earlier today that Baltimore is essentially being fucked…which is why it seems they added the coin flip scenario, so that Baltimore doesn’t necessarily get fucked just because Cinci played one less game.

It seems the most logical and fair way to do it given the circumstances with Cinci only playing 16 games. Hopefully it doesn’t come into play and Cinci wins the game, but I don’t mind the decision.

Cinci could technically roll the dice, treat next week as a quasi bye, and take their chances with the coin flip

I dont think they will, as they physically are rested more now than normal because of not finishing game monday, and home field is big

But may factor in pulling guys 2nd half, something to watch for live betting

Fantastic...
Knew this would come to fruition in multiple sports once money took over .

In all honesty though, what would be a better decision? Playing a Week 19 game between Buffalo and Cincinnati would be the only real option…and THAT would be the money grab scenario wouldn’t it? A stand alone game that would potentially have the 1 seed (and 2/3 seeds as well) up for grabs would be a ratings and money bonanza for the NFL.

damn.gif

In all honesty though, what would be a better decision? Playing a Week 19 game between Buffalo and Cincinnati would be the only real option…and THAT would be the money grab scenario wouldn’t it? A stand alone game that would potentially have the 1 seed (and 2/3 seeds as well) up for grabs would be a ratings and money bonanza for the NFL.
The post you quoted above
What rules

The NFL is LEGALLY A SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS and NOT a CONTESTED SPORT
...Every playoff game might as well he a Madden simulation of what the league wants ...

Jk

Sort of

The post you quoted above

What rules

The NFL is LEGALLY A SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT BUSINESS and NOT a CONTESTED SPORT
...Every playoff game might as well he a Madden simulation of what the league wants ...

Jk

Sort of

I didn’t quote the post. Sure, it’s entertainment and not sport (it’s not but for the sake of argument I’ll relent)…how does that answer my questions?

What would have been a better decision, and wouldn’t a stand alone week 19 game have been the “money grab” in this scenario?

It’s amazing why the have to reinvent the wheel here. Its an unfortunate incident but too change the entire playoff format over 1 game is silly.
As soon as Buffalo got on that flight home, they made the decision they weren’t interested in playing this game. The only option from there is to go by winning percentage regarding the 1 seed. If Buffalo happens to meet KC in the AFC Championship game, playing on a neutral site is only change reasonable but I wouldn’t put it in a dome. This should be played outdoors in the conditions. Play it in Chicago and be done with it.
When you have a 1000 opinions and Ive seen some bad ones intended to pacify the complainers, revert back to winning percentage.
Happy to hear the progress made by #3.

To me the really big difference is in round two with the seeding. When you lose the HFA aren't you also then forcing yourself to play both of the other two tough teams in the conference. It isn't just home field it is matchups. But I am also not well versed in what the seeding would look like after round 1

Meaning if KC wins HFA .. Wouldn't it be Buffalo vs Cinci (not saying they both win necessarily btw) in the divisional round, with KC getting the lowest seeded team?

Meaning if KC wins HFA .. Wouldn't it be Buffalo vs Cinci (not saying they both win necessarily btw) in the divisional round, with KC getting the lowest seeded team?
Flip a coin and deal with it as opposed to marinating on all the what ifs

Best chance of advancing for me...a week of stewing isn't healthy

Who's 2/3 if BUF loses, and CIN wins this weekend?, and I'm assuming round 2 if they meet up is a coinflip or neutral site too?

Who's 2/3 if BUF loses, and CIN wins this weekend?, and I'm assuming round 2 if they meet up is a coinflip or neutral site too?

Cin would be the 2 seed. It's in Eisen's tweet above if you need to reference later.

On the coin flip...not sure what they've floated out there but "not so fast my friend" as the Bengals are currently (and justifiably) trying to nix the entire coin flip situation for them and the Ravens. It seems as if they have a good case, as there is actually a set of rules outlined in the NFL rules about canceled games and how they get treated...and it ONLY mentions win percentage. At no time is a coin flip mentioned, so their argument is why would we be doing this now and taking this extra step when you've literally already laid out rules for it.

Back