BIG week 7

HUNT

CTG Partner
Staff member
Michigan state @Indiana
I personally think this will be a tough ass game for sparty. But sparty got that triple threat offense with Nailon, Thorne and Walker. Good, solid team.

Nebraska @Minnesota
If anyone deserves a win right now it's Nebraska. Much better than their record.

Rutgers @northwestern
Rutgers should take this imo.

Purdue @iowa
Let down for Iowa?

Army @wisconsin
Wisconsin d should feast again.

What do you all think?

I agree with all your comments but have no feel on Sparty. For some reason I really like Nebraska. They are going to finish season strong imo

As with any pass heavy Purdue team there chucking it about 50 times there will be a ton of variance Saturday in Iowa City and I could make cases for a bunch of Iowa short fields and a pick 6 or two leading to a 24-6 or something ugly beat down. However, it's going to be awfully hard not to grab double digits with Purdue at as full strength as they basically can get moving forward.

Still some personnel news to come so i'll wait it out and since it's in the dead zone right now no harm in hoping it potentially hits 13+ or more. I also don't like nice things so keep that in mind.

The situation is obvious...I won't put too much on that but definitely don't mind the perception of a top 2 ranked undefeated Iowa vs the top 15 5-1 Iowa if Clifford didn't get hurt. Also, past season results clearly don't indicate future results but these 2 teams with the same head coaches have had 4 pretty good battles the past 4 years. I have to check but I think all but last year Iowa was a healthy favorite. Super small sample size but for whatever reason Brohm has found success in this matchup vs many other B1G foes.

A lot more to come as I learn more (or whatever little I can get) on personnel and I do have a crush on this Iowa football team. Played them against Indy/Penn St/ISU and stupidly faded them not realizing Maryland played no defense what so ever. This one to me though has a nice shot at being a lot more interesting than one of the best fan bases in the B1G would like.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 7.58.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-11 at 7.58.37 AM.png
    34.5 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Welp, Fleck ruled Trey Potts out for the season. He returned home over the weekend after being hospitalized for several days after the Purdue game. No word on what the issue is. He was in the top 10 in yards going into the Purdue game, even with Ibrahim getting all the work against tOSU in week 1. That's a significant loss. Big drop from the top 2 backs to the next group.

Late to the party but here are my thoughts...

Last week

Maryland is who we thought they were and have begun their annual swoon. At the same time, as I said a few weeks back Ohio State is gearing up for November and hitting their stride in perfect time... I really think that Stroud sitting and watching a game was the best thing that could happen to the kid...

The Spartans win at Rutgers was via the big play. Of their 588 total yards, 285 came on 4 TD scores. That is wild. They also had two longer drives SOD's... otherwise the game went how some of us expected(lol). More on Sparty in a minute...

The Penn State and Iowa game obviously turned with the Clifford injury. I was dead wrong here. Iowa couldn't do much vs the PSU pass offense and Clifford. Injuries happen though and Iowa took advantage. Huge blow for the Lions, as they had that game most likely easily. We shall see how long he is out as the backup is not good. Illinois isn't good but then you have the Buckeyes game right after. Yikes.

If anyone actually watched Wisconsin and Illinois, you need some help.

We'll finish with the night one in Nebraska. I'll start with the obvious... neither team can be happy with the officiating. There was some interesting stuff going on in this game.... but lets look at the game itself. Nebraska once again was in position to win, but could not. AM needs to take responsibility for that fumble. You play till the whistle. That wasn't a controversial play at all, as he was still moving and obviously no whistle. I would be emphatic there but this isn't the case of a late whistle. All that being said, he was brilliant in the 2nd half. Nothing more, nothing less. They are a helluva team when he plays like that. On the other side, Michigan needed to be down in a game and also needed to throw a costly interception at some point, so this was a good learning experience. They also made a few key plays on defense late to finish the deal. No matter the strengths of the teams, they went into Camp Randall and Memorial Stadium in consecutive weeks and walked away unscathed. Many noted after that was the best atmosphere they have ever played in. Pretty cool scene there.

This week

Good time for a bye for Michigan. They also come out vs Northwestern, which is like a 2 week bye before heading up to East Lansing. They have some injuries and will rest a few next week to get ready for a rough last 5 weeks schedule. Hopefully they get JJ plenty of time in the Northwestern game as well to get more comfortable.

The Indiana and Michigan State series always has dramatic games it seems. I would chalk up another one here but man the Hoosiers are so anemic. Michigan St does not have a good pass defense, but they haven't played a great pass offense yet(obviously WKU went up and down the field). I am not seeing that happen here. Would a slow start surprise here? No. Would a quick blowout? No as well. I think they handle business here going into a bye but I have seen enough weird things between these two schools. Live bet kinda game here for myself.

Nebraska is off 3 of 4 heartbreakers but they cannot weep about it. They get a game in Minny that they should, and must win. This is a true test of Frost etc getting them back off the carpet for this one. The line is strong here, imo and a no bet for me but another one to monitor as it progresses.

Rutgers and Northwestern for all the marbles. Gun to head, I take Rutgers but just not too interested here.

Purdue and Iowa is a fascinating matchup. This is a letdown and we know how this series goes. As always, I defer to PaintCrew here...as I have a bad handle on the Boilers in all honesty.

A random Army trip to Wisconsin in mid October. This total is lined 38.5 and I am setting the o/u at 2 hours and 45 minutes for this game to complete. I think Army can hang for a little bit but that Wisky front is really good so not sure where the offense comes from here.

That is all...

Here is your food for thought for today...

Harbaugh a few years back was one of the first, if not first, coaches to come out and advocate the portal/free agency in college football. He had the infamous letter and all. As we look at the potential 7-0 vs 7-0 matchup in two weeks in East Lansing, the irony that MSU retooled a horrible roster with 19 portal guys and have seen early success is quite something. Obviously, the competition level has been below what we like to see but that all steps up from the 30th till after Turkey Day for both teams. We shall see who is who in this league. Very intriguing.

Routine day in conference.

Sparty for the cover and that's a good road win but the offense struggled.

Purdue won with ease, in reality.

Nebraska just couldn't get over the hump making the comeback today.

Wisconsin, lol. Man they are a tough watch. Very curious decision to kick XP at 19-7 late in the game. I wish it would have bit them in the ass.

Wisconsin, lol. Man they are a tough watch. Very curious decision to kick XP at 19-7 late in the game. I wish it would have bit them in the ass.
Somewhere, someone who had Wisconsin vs Virginia in the late ‘90’s when Al Groh (getting 9.5) decided to kick the PAT down 26-16 in the 4Q is laughing. But that someone isn’t me. I got hooked both times.

i gotta believe kicking the xp had a lot to do with how freaking terrible his team is in the red zone!! if wiscy went for 2 every time the rest the year id bet they dont convert 30%!! of course it might only be about 7-8 tries!! lol

Back