Big-10 Discussion Thread

I believe Scott will be fine and Morelli will have natuaral improvement.

Lets head on to the Fuckeyes from that state Indiana East!

<TABLE class=tborder cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=tcat>View Profile: HUNTDOG</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #d1d1e1 1px solid" width="100%" colSpan=2>HUNTDOG
user_online.gif

CTG Super Moderator
</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right rowSpan=2>
image.php
</TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD>
image.php
</TD><TD class=smallfont vAlign=bottom align=right>Last Activity: Today 11:47 PM
Viewing Thread Big-10 Discussion Thread @ 11:47 PM
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / main info - avatar, profilepic etc. --><!-- button row --><TABLE class=tborder style="BORDER-TOP-WIDTH: 0px" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR align=middle><TD class=vbmenu_control>Download vCard</TD><TD class=vbmenu_control>Add HUNTDOG to Your Buddy List </TD><TD class=vbmenu_control>Add HUNTDOG to Your Ignore List </TD><TD class=vbmenu_control>User Options</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / button row -->

Positives for Ohio State:

Great young defense and Beanie Wells and Sweatervest.

Schedule wise...roadies at PSU and UM. Wisky at home.

OOC @ Washington

To be honest other than Wells at RB, Jenkins at CB, and then Lauranitis and Freeman I know nothing about this team. How good is Boeckman supposed to be?

OSU's 2006:

<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datahead colSpan=5>Regular Season:</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2b width="18%">Date</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="15%">vs.</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="25%">Score</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="24%">Line</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="18%">O/U</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/02/06</TD><TD class=datacell>NOILL </TD><TD class=datacell>W 35-12 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -17.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 49.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/09/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@TEXAS </TD><TD class=datacell>W 24-7 </TD><TD class=datacell>W 3</TD><TD class=datacell>U 52</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/16/06</TD><TD class=datacell>CIN </TD><TD class=datacell>W 37-7 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -28.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 47.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/23/06</TD><TD class=datacell>PENST </TD><TD class=datacell>W 28-6 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -16.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 42</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/30/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@IOWA </TD><TD class=datacell>W 38-17 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -7</TD><TD class=datacell>O 43.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/07/06</TD><TD class=datacell>BGREN </TD><TD class=datacell>W 35-7 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -37.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 51</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/14/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@MCHST </TD><TD class=datacell>W 38-7 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -14</TD><TD class=datacell>U 51</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/21/06</TD><TD class=datacell>IND </TD><TD class=datacell>W 44-3 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -31</TD><TD class=datacell>U 53</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/28/06</TD><TD class=datacell>MINN </TD><TD class=datacell>W 44-0 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -27.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 47</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/04/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@ILL </TD><TD class=datacell>W 17-10 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -24.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 47.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/11/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@NWEST </TD><TD class=datacell>W 54-10 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -22.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 41.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/18/06</TD><TD class=datacell>MICH </TD><TD class=datacell>W 42-39 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -6.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 40.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>01/08/07</TD><TD class=datacell>FLA </TD><TD class=datacell>L 14-41 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -7</TD><TD class=datacell>O 47</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This season:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0><TD class=bg0font>SCHEDULE</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 align=middle><TD>Date</TD><TD>Opponent</TD><TD>Time/Result</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 1</TD><TD align=middle>Youngstown State</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1188662400))</SCRIPT>12:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 8</TD><TD align=middle>Akron</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1189267200))</SCRIPT>12:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 15</TD><TD align=middle>@Washington</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1189884600))</SCRIPT>3:30pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 22</TD><TD align=middle>Northwestern</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 29</TD><TD align=middle>@Minnesota</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1191110400))</SCRIPT>8:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 6</TD><TD align=middle>@Purdue</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1191715200))</SCRIPT>7:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 13</TD><TD align=middle>Kent St.</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 20</TD><TD align=middle>Michigan St.</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1192908600))</SCRIPT>2:30pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 27</TD><TD align=middle>@Penn St.</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1193529600))</SCRIPT>7:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 3</TD><TD align=middle>Wisconsin</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 10</TD><TD align=middle>Illinois</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 17</TD><TD align=middle>@Michigan</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

At Washington is an interesting OOC game. Ohio St. has to play @PSU and @Michigan, while the other 3 top tier B10 teams are lucky enough to only face one top tier team on the road. They could start 8-0, but the majority of their challenging games are late in the season.

I echo a lot of BAR's thoughts on UM..he is dead on on a lot of things imo. Missing a kicker is huge...I get leery everytime Um gets too much respect before the season..they usually falter when that happens, but having a 4 year QB is huge.

I will be playing the over without a doubt against oregon, that is going to be a shootout.

Looking at that they could lose 3 out of their last 4, and depending on how good Illinois turns out to be maybe even 4

I personally dont give a shit about OSU. Lets go to everyones "sexy pick" and Illinois

I have a hard time seeing OSU not being 4th or worse in the B10. They have the disadvantage in terms of scheduling with the two tough roadies.

They only return 10 starters, uncertainty still looms at QB, they lose the majority of the skill position players, they lose six starters on defense (three out of four of the starting DL are gone).

This team is a wait and see for sure for me unless there is a ridicoulous number put out on one of their early games.

I was joking guys...lol.

In all honesty I know nothing of Boeckman..jump and yessir are more qualified to answer this.

I expect the defense to be great, but breaking in a new qb is always tough.

Beanie Wells is going to be a fucking monster though, that is my heisman winner if they can get at least 10 wins.

Tressel is a great coach though, don't ever count them out. OSU just reloads too.

Yess Sir has a nice OSU write-up and is calling for like an 8-4 season I believe.

Jump says 10-2 at worst.

Even so, I just have a tough time seeing them breaking into the top three here, especially with the @UM and @PSU games.

If they have anything close to an O-line and Boeckman can atleast show he can complete some passes, Wells could end up beating out Hart and Hill for the conference rushing title. This dude is going to amazing

I take that rushing title back. I forgot just how loaded the Big 10 is in RB. Sutton, Ringer, and Young all could have something to say about that

Thats 3 GREAT running backs right there. Add in the two in East Lansing and the lil guy in Evanston and thats a nice stable in this conference.

Ok how bout we move onto East Lansing. Maybe somewhat of a surprise team this year

What's up fellas, just got done my week 1 projections for every single game including those scintillating Div 1-A vs 1-AA matchups, so drop in my thread when you get a chance and let me know where I am totally off.

ps We all know the ACC is king, so I won't bother wasting my time in this thread anymore...oops, sorry, thought this was the cbb forum haha.

Hoyer will be a solid QB in D'Antoni's system in my opinion. He played solid, not spectacular, last season when Stanton was injured. he will be helped out big time by a great running duo in Ringer and Caulcrick(or as Hunt and myslf call him.."Crick"). In this system these two will do a lot of damage. They will open up the passing game and help MSU control the ball for the first time in years.The WR's are more green but they also have good potential. They won;t underperform as much as the depated players. Davis at TE is quite solid and should have a very nice year.

The defense has never been helped out by the offense in the Smith era. Short TOP's and turnovers really hurt this team. They are very experieneced along the board and should drop the ppg from 28.4 to something more managebale. Just being on the field less will help them.

What's up fellas, just got done my week 1 projections for every single game including those scintillating Div 1-A vs 1-AA matchups, so drop in my thread when you get a chance and let me know where I am totally off.

ps We all know the ACC is king, so I won't bother wasting my time in this thread anymore...oops, sorry, thought this was the cbb forum haha.

LOL-good thing we kicked you out of the state of Michigan:whip:

I saw your post up and will drop by in a bit. Great stuff so far.

MSU's 06:

<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datahead colSpan=5>Regular Season:</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2b width="18%">Date</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="15%">vs.</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="25%">Score</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="24%">Line</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="18%">O/U</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/02/06</TD><TD class=datacell>IDAHO </TD><TD class=datacell>W 27-17 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -28.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 57</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/09/06</TD><TD class=datacell>EMICH </TD><TD class=datacell>W 52-20 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -25.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 51.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/16/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@PITT </TD><TD class=datacell>W 38-23 </TD><TD class=datacell>W 2.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 52</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/23/06</TD><TD class=datacell>NOTRE </TD><TD class=datacell>L 37-40 </TD><TD class=datacell>L 2.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 59</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/30/06</TD><TD class=datacell>ILL </TD><TD class=datacell>L 20-23 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -25</TD><TD class=datacell>U 54</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/07/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@MICH </TD><TD class=datacell>L 13-31 </TD><TD class=datacell>L 15</TD><TD class=datacell>U 52.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/14/06</TD><TD class=datacell>OHIST </TD><TD class=datacell>L 7-38 </TD><TD class=datacell>L 14</TD><TD class=datacell>U 51</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/21/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@NWEST </TD><TD class=datacell>W 41-38 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -8</TD><TD class=datacell>O 48</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/28/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@IND </TD><TD class=datacell>L 21-46 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -6.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 56.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/04/06</TD><TD class=datacell>PURD </TD><TD class=datacell>L 15-17 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -3</TD><TD class=datacell>U 59</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/11/06</TD><TD class=datacell>MINN </TD><TD class=datacell>L 18-31 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -1</TD><TD class=datacell>U 56</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/18/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@PENST </TD><TD class=datacell>L 13-17 </TD><TD class=datacell>W 18.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 44.5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This season:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 align=middle><TD>Date</TD><TD>Opponent</TD><TD>Time/Result</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 1</TD><TD align=middle>UAB</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1188662400))</SCRIPT>12:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 8</TD><TD align=middle>Bowling Green</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1189267200))</SCRIPT>12:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 15</TD><TD align=middle>Pittsburgh</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1189872000))</SCRIPT>12:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 22</TD><TD align=middle>@Notre Dame</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1190489400))</SCRIPT>3:30pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 29</TD><TD align=middle>@Wisconsin</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 6</TD><TD align=middle>Northwestern</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 13</TD><TD align=middle>Indiana</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1192316400))</SCRIPT>6:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 20</TD><TD align=middle>@Ohio St.</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1192908600))</SCRIPT>2:30pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 27</TD><TD align=middle>@Iowa</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 3</TD><TD align=middle>Michigan</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 10</TD><TD align=middle>@Purdue</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 17</TD><TD align=middle>Penn St.</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Its amazing...if not for that 4th qtr collapse against ND...I think that squad goes 9-3 last year. That game was the end of the John L era.

This year...I think they can start 4-0. They own Notre Dame and have won like 3-5 in a row at Notre Dame stadium. I just think they will be a confident bunch by then and take it to the Irish. I hope I am getting a nice line in that one.

NOV 3 hs been higlited by coah Mike since he arrived. Should be a helluva battle. They will have a tough time those last 5 games. Three tough road games and prolly the 2 best teams at home.

6-6 season it seems...maybe 7-5.

I know that doesn't seem like a suprising team but they will be competitive and with new attitude will be more formidable in EACH game.

Gotta run for now, will check on this thread in the morning and add some thoughts. Great discussion on the B10.

Its amazing...if not for that 4th qtr collapse against ND...I think that squad goes 9-3 last year. That game was the end of the John L era.

This year...I think they can start 4-0. They own Notre Dame and have won like 3-5 in a row at Notre Dame stadium. I just think they will be a confident bunch by then and take it to the Irish. I hope I am getting a nice line in that one.

NOV 3 hs been higlited by coah Mike since he arrived. Should be a helluva battle. They will have a tough time those last 5 games. Three tough road games and prolly the 2 best teams at home.

6-6 season it seems...maybe 7-5.

I know that doesn't seem like a suprising team but they will be competitive and with new attitude will be more formidable in EACH game.

I agree with the majority of these thoughts. Like you said, with that ridiculous conference schedule, home games against Indiana and Northwestern are the only ones that you can really feel confident in them winning. They could be a solid ATS bet though if everything goes as planned.

Yeah its actually time for me to do some work for the next 45 minutes. Great discusssion and would love to finish it off tommorow.

Michigan State is a year or 2 away imo.

They will be very predictable on offense though.

They might give Um and some others a scare. I don't have as much confidence in this team as some others. The talent just isn't there.

I know we are at MSU but I got here a little late.

Some info on the Buckeyes:

Boeckman:

Tall, big QB that is actually faster in the 40 than Troy. Dont think he wil have the moves, but is faster. Strong arm and is said making all the rigt decisions. A little comparison to Krenze, very smart. Son of a coach

Beanie is a beast. It wont be too hard to play QB this year with him behind you. Someone else said it, possible Heisman if we can get to a BCS bowl.

Robiskie, Hartline, and Small will be lining up wide. Hartline and Robiskie are tall WR and Small is the shorter mold of Teddy Ginn. They will use him to stretch the field. They say that Hartline will be used to stretch the field too as he is a burner. Robiskie is the possession receiver. Obviously there wil be a dropoff from laster year, but maybe not as much as one would think. IMO the key will be Small. If he can keep the DB back and respect him then that should open up the other two. Word is the coaching staff is still going to use the 3 WR sets. We will about that though.

The Dline is going to be huge.
DE Gholston - 6'4 260
DE Lawrence Wilson 6'6 270
DE Rob Rose 6'5 260 - SUB
DT Doug Worthingron 6'7 275
DT Todd Denlinger 6'3 280
DT Dexter Larimore - 6'3 280 - SUB

The word is that Larimore is an animal and will probably over take Worthington. They are comparing arimore to Tim Anderson who was a pretty good DT while here. I think last years Dline actually played ever there head. Pitcock was a man out there, but the other DT's really stepped up more so than I thought they were capable of. I am looking for the Dline to actually be better this year!

The line backers are Freeman, Larinitus, and Larry Grant. Everyone basically knows the 1st 2, but not Grant. The coaches have said that Grant is the most improved player on the team from last year and they hope to get through fall camp without him hurting someone! He has 4.5 speed and didnt really play like that lst year. The reports are he is that fast and playing thatfast since he knows the schemes.

The DBs are also huge 3 of the 4 are above 6'0 and the 4th is 6'0. The weak link and he is dffinatley a weak link is SS Jamario O'Neil. He gets burned like that is what he supposed to do. Terrible. We have a shut down corner and an awsome FS Anderson Russell. I dont think many teams outside of Mich that will be able to throw on us. This is all contingent that the DL has a good year.

I dont see us under 10-2 or maybe 9-3 at worse. I think we beat PSU there, at night this year. I am not a fan of Morelli at ALL. 54% with an 11-8 ratio. And those are not hard throws implemented in the PSU passing attack. They didnt move the ball on us last year and I dont think they will this year either against a better D.

The Wisky game is in Ohio and this should be a nice low scoring boring ground game like they useally are.

Anything can happen in the scUM game. With Sir Tressel in LLLLoyds head, you never can tell.

OK, back to MSU

I'll get ya my thoughts in here tomorrow..

and an extensive tOSU writeup..

What you guys didn't talk enough about is the defense..

It will be exceptional and Tresselball will be back..

the schedule isn't as bad as it looks and is very favorable up front..

But will talk more later..

Great shit guys...exceptional..

I'll get ya my thoughts in here tomorrow..

and an extensive tOSU writeup..

What you guys didn't talk enough about is the defense..

It will be exceptional and Tresselball will be back..

the schedule isn't as bad as it looks and is very favorable up front..

But will talk more later..

Great shit guys...exceptional..

Which I said would be great:pillow:

:eyes:

Im up for finishing the conference tonight if anyones interested. I dont have anything going on. BAR do you play on Stars or just Full Tilt

Not sure if the MSU discussion was/is done, but I want to throw some thoughts out on Northwestern as it one of those mystery teams.

Northwestern's '06:

<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datahead colSpan=5>Regular Season:</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2b width="18%">Date</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="15%">vs.</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="25%">Score</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="24%">Line</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="18%">O/U</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>08/31/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@MIAOH </TD><TD class=datacell>W 21-3 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -5.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 54</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/09/06</TD><TD class=datacell>NHAMP</TD><TD class=datacell>L 17-34 </TD><TD class=datacell>- -</TD><TD class=datacell>- -</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/16/06</TD><TD class=datacell>EMICH </TD><TD class=datacell>W 14-6 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -17</TD><TD class=datacell>U 50.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/22/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@NEV </TD><TD class=datacell>L 21-31 </TD><TD class=datacell>L 7</TD><TD class=datacell>O 46.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/30/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@PENST </TD><TD class=datacell>L 7-33 </TD><TD class=datacell>L 20</TD><TD class=datacell>U 41.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/07/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@WISC </TD><TD class=datacell>L 9-41 </TD><TD class=datacell>L 19.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 41.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/14/06</TD><TD class=datacell>PURD </TD><TD class=datacell>L 10-31 </TD><TD class=datacell>L 7</TD><TD class=datacell>U 51</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/21/06</TD><TD class=datacell>MCHST </TD><TD class=datacell>L 38-41 </TD><TD class=datacell>W 8</TD><TD class=datacell>O 48</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/28/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@MICH </TD><TD class=datacell>L 3-17 </TD><TD class=datacell>W 29</TD><TD class=datacell>U 42.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/04/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@IOWA </TD><TD class=datacell>W 21-7 </TD><TD class=datacell>W 20.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 46</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/11/06</TD><TD class=datacell>OHIST </TD><TD class=datacell>L 10-54 </TD><TD class=datacell>L 22.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 41.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/18/06</TD><TD class=datacell>ILL </TD><TD class=datacell>W 27-16 </TD><TD class=datacell>W 1</TD><TD class=datacell>U 48</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

'07 Schedule:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 align=middle><TD>Date</TD><TD>Opponent</TD><TD>Time/Result</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 1</TD><TD align=middle>Northeastern</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1188662400))</SCRIPT>12:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 8</TD><TD align=middle>Nevada</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1189267200))</SCRIPT>12:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 15</TD><TD align=middle>Duke</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1189900800))</SCRIPT>8:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 22</TD><TD align=middle>@Ohio St.</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 29</TD><TD align=middle>Michigan</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 6</TD><TD align=middle>@Michigan St.</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 13</TD><TD align=middle>Minnesota</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1192291200))</SCRIPT>11:00am</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 19</TD><TD align=middle>@E. Michigan</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1192834800))</SCRIPT>6:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 27</TD><TD align=middle>@Purdue</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1193500800))</SCRIPT>11:00am</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 3</TD><TD align=middle>Iowa</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 10</TD><TD align=middle>Indiana</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 17</TD><TD align=middle>@Illinois</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

With the tragic loss of coach Randy Walker last year, this team was understandably thrown into a tailspin. Pat Fitzgerald was thrust into the job and the team stuggled for the most part. They were 4-8, 4-7 ATS. and 4-7 O/U. Not included here is a 17 point loss to I-AA New Hampshire.

This team returns 15 starters.

This offense struggled last season, only averaging 16.5 points per game. They scored over 20 only five times, and were held under 10 three times.

They retain the most important part of their offense, RB Tyrell Sutton. He goes with the other great B10 backs and may be one of the more underrated RBs in the country. He averaged 5.3 ypc last season and rushed for 1000 yards despite playing with a seperated shoulder during the second half of the season.

This team stuggled at the QB position last year, but the offense improved when CJ Bacher took the job late in the year. He passed for 1172 yards, 6 TD, and 8 INT. He sat a good portion of spring practice after toe surgery, but he is back and healthy now. The offense did much better toward the end of the season with him at the helm. The offensive line also returns four starters, so they should be relatively stable in that area.

Their biggest loss on offense is WR Shaun Herbert (47 catches, 494 yards). WR is probably the biggest question mark for the Wildcats on offense. They hope that speedster Andrew Brewer can emerge this season.

On defense, this team was relatively poor last season. They gave up about 26 points per game, including over 30 points seven times. The average could have been worse if they had not faced offensively challenged Miami OH (3 points) and E. Michigan (6 points). They return eight starters, and they expect LB Chris Jeske (who was injured for two years) to come in and make a big impact.

Overall though, I don't expect too much from this defense. Here is CBS Sportsline's opinion of the defense:

"Northwestern's defense never quite figured things out last year. The Wildcats switched between 4-3 and 3-4 defensive fronts. They alternately struggled against the run and the pass. They battled injuries to several key players. This time around, NU believes it has the makings of a solid defensive line and secondary. If the Cats can find a revelation or two at linebacker -- oft-injured Chris Jeske, perhaps? -- they could develop into something decent."

This doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement to me. Frankly, I will believe that this defense has improved when I see it. I have a hard time seeing how a defense that is consistently changing the alignment of their front seven can be solid on a consistent basis.

Northwestern also loses both their kicker and punter. I looked around, but could not find any info on their search for a new K or P.

This team is tough to figure out. I believe they will be better on offense this year, as Bacher and Fitzgerald finally had an offseason under their belts and the O-line should be solid. I personally feel that the defense should struggle once again, but that part of the team is a wait and see, as is the special teams.

Many of this team's totals were in the high 40s or low 50s last season because of their poor defense. However, they went under more often than not due to their sub-par offense. If the offense shows some improvement like I am expecting, this could be an over team this season.

Just woke up from a nap fellas..

Signal..I just play at FTP...have a star account but have never funded it yet...

Ready to tlk some fooosball for a bit

Great writeup D. I dont know what to think of Northwestern this year. 2 years ago when they whipped up Wisconsin and Sutton ran all over them I thought of them as a sleeper team for last year. However that defintly didnt turn out that way. I still think Sutton goes off for about 14 to 1500 this year but they need a defense to be successful. Ill be following them closely the first couple weeks and hopefully make some money on them come Big 10 season

Nwestern is one of those teams that showed great improvement at the ned of the season after a horrid start. A bad start couldn't be unexpected though after the off-season tradegy.

Nwestern is one of those teams that showed great improvement at the ned of the season after a horrid start. A bad start couldn't be unexpected though after the off-season tradegy.

Agreed, they may have a shot at 6-6 this season, but I am simply not sold on the defense improving as much as they need it to.

Unfortunately, I can't stick around for the rest of discussion tonight. Early day tomorrow. Be back to check out the thread tomorrow afternoon/night. :cheers:

Awesome write up mut. I agree with you guys on OSU. Beanie wells is going to change that offense, when teams stack 8 in the box it is a mater if the qb can make the plays...if he can, look out.

Here's a writeup from a gentleman from tOSU's scout site..www.scout.com..
http://mbd.scout.com//mb.aspx?S=145&F=1079#S=145&F=1079&T=736114&P=1

I agree w/ the majority of what he says, but a few of his grades for each postion set were homerized, so I removed those..but as far as player to player, this is great info and easier to transfer this over than say much of the same things myself..

So here goes, w/ minor things changed by me..

OFFENSE - will be Offensive:
(if a QB emerges as a solid QB)

RB - Chris Wells (the most gifted physical running back we've ever had. Faster, quicker, smarter, and more athletic than Clarett)

FB - Dionte Johnson (has shown some flashes in the past. An "adequate" balanced fullback, than can adequately run, block, and catch)

RB - Maurice Wells (if used wisely, can be a major weapon off the bench. could be the fastest back in the Big 10 not named Saine)

RB - Brandon Saine (speed, speed, speed. Can run, and will catch passes and make long gains. Will have some big TD's this year)

Outlook:
Looking forward to seeing what the combination of Beanie Wells and In-Saine can do. The best combo of thunder and lightning (in talent) we maybe ever had at the same time in the backfield.

WR - Brian Robiskie (a mix of Cris Carter and Michael Jenkins. Future 1st round pick in Robiskie)

WR - Brian Hartline (can play any WR spot. Split end, Flanker, Slot WR like Gonzo, anywhere. Can be a posession WR or a Speed WR, deep threat)

WR - Ray Small (Ted Ginn-like, only a half-foot slower, but maybe the 2nd most explosive WR we've ever had here. He's going to explode)

WR - Devon Lyons (tallest WR on the team, and could become a lethal 3rd down WR and posession WR off the bench. Red zone threat as well)

WR - Albert Dukes (Has tons of speed, and probably nearly as fast as Ray Small, if not equal in speed. Just needs to become more polished as a wideout)

WR - Dan Potokar (This guy will make it easy to redshirt Taurian and Sanzenbacher. Potokar is one of the fastest on the team, and good enough to be a #6 WR)

TE - Rory Nicol (has the athleticism, hands, and ability, to be an effective pass-catching TE. Already a solid blocker. Top 3 TE in the Big 10 now)

TE - Jake Ballard (future All Big 10 TE, and future NFL Tight End, after Nicol graduates)

TE - Brandon Smith (good speed, and a pass-catching threat. Gives us solid TE depth in 2007 and 2008)

Outlook:

Robiskie, Hartline, and Small are as good of a WR trio as there is in the Big 10, maybe the country. 4th WR must emerge. Will it be Lyons, Dukes, Potokar, or an incoming freshman such as Taurian Washington, Dane Sanzenbacher, or even Devon Torrence who is a very fast athlete that can play WR or CB.

OT - Alex Boone (Future 1st day draft pick)

OG - Steve Rehring (Future 1st day draft pick, after 2008 season)

C - Jim Cordle (Future NFL center if he can get to 295 or bigger after his OSU career)

OG - Ben Person (Nasty player. The now and soon to be T.J. Downing type on the O-Line)

OT - Kirk Barton (Future 1st day draft pick. Boone/Barton are best OT combo in the nation)

-----
OL - Jon Skinner (Can play virtually any OL position off the bench. Just as valuable as a starter because of it)

OL - Bryant Browning (Future star here. Has size, work ethic is coming along, and tons of talent. Future NFL player if he wants to be, and works hard)

OL - Connor Smith (Will mostly be a reserve in his OSU career from here on out, but will be a dominant run blocker off the bench when needed)

OL - Kyle Mitchum (Another valuable reserve to have. Can come in and be effective when and if called on. The 2nd string O-Line looked great against Texas)

OL - Josh Kerr (Just a body to have in practice, and on scout team. The top 9 above will fill the 10 spots in the 2 deep, if injuries occured. Kerr will never be in that)

Outlook:

The most talented O-Line in the Tressel tenure so far. 9 of the Top 12 are back from last year, including 3 starters and tons of valuable reserves. The best combo of Quality and Quantity, and experience, on the O-Line that Tressel and Bollman have had yet to work with. Datish and Downing are key losses, but they can be replaced equally almost immediately by Cordle and Person. We'll reload there after those losses, pretty much equally. The other three starters that are back will be much better after another year of experience. The overall starting O-Line will therefore be better. We also lost Tim Shaffer from last year, but that isn't a loss. The valuable reserves we have now have more talent and ability than Shaffer did, who was more of a natural D-Lineman trying to play on the O-Line. We have nine guys on the O-Line, including four really good reserves, who would all start for just about anybody. The future is bright with the "Block O" coming in, with Mike Adams, Brewster, Shugarts, and possibly even Josh Jenkins. All are 5-star recruits by scout.com, and Top 50 players overall in the nation. If they all sign, they would be the most talented incoming O-Line freshman class in OSU history, maybe Big 10 history.

Future NFL players from the offense:
Chris Wells, Brandon Saine, Brian Robiskie, Brian Hartline, Ray Small, Jake Ballard, Alex Boone, Steve Rehring, Jim Cordle, Kirk Barton, Bryant Browning. (2007 Starters in "green"). The others are young reserve players who will eventually be starters in their career and make the NFL afterwards.

DEFENSE - wins Championships:
DT - Todd Denlinger (the Pit-Bull of the defense, in the pits. Tim Anderson, Quinn Pitcock, and now the torch is passed to Denlinger. Future NFL player)

DT - Doug Worthington (nearly 6'8" tall, long arms, speed, strength, a top player out of high school, but does lack experience. Has all the tools to be a great one)

DE - Vernon Gholston (maybe the most physically gifted and talented player for his position on the entire team, for his position. Will dominate, then off to the NFL)

DE - Lawrence Wilson (if not for Gholston, there would be more talk about Wilson. Quite simply, this could be the most talented DE duo ever at OSU, which says a ton)

-----

DT - Dexter Larimore (#1 ranked wrestler out of High School. Tim Anderson clone, Denlinger type of player. Tough-nosed player off the bench, like Penton was)

DT - Cameron Heyward (incoming freshman D-lineman. Has all the strength, tools, and athleticism, to be a great one. His father was a BEAST in the NFL for years)

DE - Robert Rose (any other year would be a starter at DE. But not with Gholston and Wilson here. Rose is a future All-American, when he finally is in the Line-up)

DE - Alex Barrow (seems like he's been a 2nd string D-Lineman for 10 years. He still has two years left. Valuable reserve who brings much experience off the bench)

DT - Nader Abdallah (We'll list him too. He's 310 pounds, good quickness, and is supposed to be intelligent. Why isn't he emerging more? Will the light bulb come on?)

Outlook:

OSU lost 4 D-linemen from last year in Richardson, Pitcock, Patterson, and Penton. Most teams would be hurting big time after losing that kind of talent on the D-Line, but not OSU. We will reload (not rebuild) this year on the D-Line. Wilson will replace Richardson, and could become an upgrade overall there. Patterson and Penton can be replaced from their roles. Only Pitcock will be real tough to replace right away. I don't think Denlinger will be as good as Pitcock, but within time, he will be very close. Denlinger can play, and is probably even a meaner (more mean) player than Pitcock. Denlinger will be a force, and a top level DT in the Big 10 himself. This D-Line reminds me very much of Tressel's 2002 defensive line. Former younger players emerged that year into stars (Tim Anderson, Will Smith, Darrion Scott, etc.). Same will happen this year with Denlinger, Worthington, Wilson, Rose, etc. Gholston is already a star, but will get better)

LB - James Laurinaitus (the perfect Middle Linebacker in today's college football world. Will be the key piece on the defense to beat Michigan again this year)

LB - Marcus Freeman (has all the talent in the world to be a great great linebacker. he's a good linebacker now, but will he finally be a great linebacker. i think this year)

LB - Larry Grant (the closest thing to a Lavar Arrington type, freak of nature for a linebacker. The coaches are saying he is already the most improved player on the team)

-----

LB - Curtis Terry (here's a bulldog linebacker that is big, strong, tough, and can run like the other Glenville speedsters. The coaches love him, and he will play a lot)

LB - Ross Homan (compared to A.J. Hawk out of high school. Homan will be a future star here after this season, when Grant and Terry graduate)

LB - Austin Spitler (the coaches love the improvement he has shown. he has already been deemed the probable future middle linebacker after Laurinaitus is gone)

LB - Mark Johnson (Middle linebacker out of high school from California, and was a big time recruit. Has had injuries, but will challenge Spitler for that future MLB spot)

LB - Thaddeus Gibson (Dominated the Big 33 game. One of the top overall defensive recruits in the country out of H.S. Has all the ability to be special in 2008 & beyond)

Outlook:

A couple years ago, the starters of Hawk, Carpenter, and Schlegal may be the best ever at OSU. But we haven't seen a year where our 2nd string linebackers would start for pretty much anybody else in the world, like this year. If Freeman or Grant get injured, there's always Terry, Homan, Gibson, etc. Laurinaitus is the one that definitely needs to stay healthy. Spitler is good, but he is no Laurinaitus, that's for sure. In the future, Spitler will be in a lot of highlight reels as the starter after Laurinaitus is in the NFL. Spitler is the hardest hitting linebacker now on the roster, and is the most physical. Larry Grant may have something to say about that. We are going to see some hard hits from the linebackers this year and for years to come. It will remind us of the Big Kat days where he and Na'il Diggs would just kill people on their tackles. The linebackers are going to be awfully awfully good)
CB - Malcolm Jenkins (the studs of all studs in the secondary. most well rounded CB in OSU history, when combining speed (4.3"), height for a corner (6'1"), tackling (great tackler), physicality, closing speed, hips, coverage skills, fundamentals, intelligence, knowing how to play the ball in the air", etc. He's basically Chris Gamble at everything Gamble was good at, but also smarter, more skilled for the position, better fundamentals, more physical, better tackler, and so on, than Gamble was. Antoine Winfield is the best "overall" corner in OSU history. Jenkins is the most rounded and best "all-around" skilled corner in OSU history (especially when adding in "size" and top end speed for the position). Winfield's height hurt at times against bigger receivers like Plaxico Burress who torched him a few times. And Winfield is my favorite player in OSU history. Jenkins is moving up the list though)

CB - Eugene Clifford (you heard it here first. Clifford will start this year for OSU, by midseason at the latest. He will be a cornerback here, like Tressel has said many times on signing day and afterwards. Having a 6'2" - 6'3" corner with the ball skills and hips like Clifford has, wlll do wonders for our team against taller WR's. They may play Jenkins at the "star" a little this year, so Clifford's role will become even more important. I see Clifford breaking through like Gamble did in 2002. Clifford will have a big time freshman season. You heard it here first. He's THAT good)

CB - Donald Washington (Washington will eventually have the same role he had last year. Nickel back. He will also start a few games as well, especially against passing teams. Washington has the skills to become a future NFL player. I am not worried about the corners this year. I am more worried about the safeties).

CB - Chimdi Chekwa (has a ton of athleticism, closing speed, overall skills for a corner, plus he looks like he is mighty pysical. He also has pretty good size for the position. Gives us a great 2nd string cornerback this season. His emergence is important, since it sounds like they may have to redshirt Amos this year (medical redshirt) due to injury)

CB - Andre Amos (will he miss the entire season? Amos has as much speed and athleticism as anybody in our secondary, including Jenkins even. Amos will be a future starter here at cornerback position, or at least the nickel, at some point in his OSU career, but it doesn't look like it's going to be this year. Maybe after Jenkins is gone, 2008 will be Amos year to show what he truly can do on the field in the secondary)

Outlook: No team in the Big 10 will have the Quality and Quantity of top-end talent, and overall depth at corner, as we will this year.

S - Anderson Russell (showed some flashes last year. is he ready to step up and be OSU's #1 safety? i think so, in a way, but the injury still scares me. there is no guarantee he'll be back at 100%, including 100% mentally. will it affect his overall hustle and determination on the field? devastating knee injuries don't always release out of your mind. he may be doing a lot more "thinking" when running and playing, instead of instintive reacting this year, more so than last year (where he did a lot more reacting). I think Russell is a good safety. I'm not ready to call him a great safety yet. I don't think he'll be as much of a stud as others say about him. He was good last year when he played, but it's not like he's Mike Doss, Damon Moore, or even Will Allen. He's still a very solid player, but he still has room for improvement, and the injury thing scares me. He is OSU's #1 safety coming into this season, if healthy and ready, but most years in the past, our #1 safety was overall better. Russell still needs some improvement, and still needs a lot more experience)

S - Kurt Coleman (the move to safety for him may prove to be brilliant. he has a real chance to be our biggest playmaker in the secondary at forcing and causing turnovers, and havoc from the secondary. Coleman is a read stud, and I think his "upside" is higher than Russell at eventually having a higher ceiling toward striving toward your "peak" in talent. Coleman has that "umph" that you like about a player. The closest "potential" thing to a real "baller" we've had at safety since Mike Doss, "if" he can come close to maxing out his abilities and translating that onto the field)

S - Jamario O'neal (it's time for him to "put up" or "shut up" this year. he's got all the talent and athleticism in the world, but the kid's intelligence and overall fundamentals for the position are very weak still. he needs to have the light bulb come on mentally and fundamentally, and become "average" and somewhat "adequate" in those areas (which is saying a lot out of him at this point). One thing's for sure, Jamario O'neal will not be a future coach, LOL. The odds are definitely against him at that.)

S - Aaron Gant (fills out the 2-deep at safety. he is the "Chekwa" type, but at safety. we need him to emerge and become a very very solid 2nd stringer for us this year, who can come in if called upon, or due to injury from a starter. Gant has a lot of talent, and is a great physical player, but the only thing I question with him is his overall top-end speed and closing speed. I don't think he has that great of overall speed when trying to catch someone in the open field. That can present some problems. Hopefully he also doesn't get caught covering someone with sub 4.4 speed one on one. Other than that, I like Gant a lot)

S - Grant Schwartz (I thnk he'll be a real solid 3rd stringer this year, and will show lots of flashes in mop up time. He could be a starter in the future, and may lay the first brick toward that foundation this year. Schwartz can play a little.)

Outlook: The safeties have a chance to be pretty darn good, but I think they'll be the closing thing to a weakness on our defense, much like last year. I would say "B-" last year at best from our safeties overall. They may be a "tad" better, but nothing spectcular this year. Expect "adequate" production, but not "extroardinary" performance from our safeties this year. They will be fairly good (hopefully), but not awesome. Coleman will be great, but I think he is a year away from showing All Big 10 calibur player, although he'll have some big time plays this year at times. Coleman is a highlight reel kind of player. Russell is the key. He needs to be 100% healthy and 100% ready mentally and physically).

The last couple of chapters still need to be written. We'll have to watch the season to see how it all plays out ........

This year, it will all come down to the QB (or QB's), the Secondary, and Special Teams, in whether or not we make it back to the National Title game. Those are too hard to predict for now. We'll let those play out as the year goes on. They will be the "mystery" pieces which will speak volumes in our undefeated quest, or a 3 loss season (or anywhere in between). It all comes down to QB, Secondary, and Special Teams

I saw mutosofan talk about Jamario O'Neal...and I can tell you that if Anderson Russell is all the way back from his knee, I think Coleman takes O'Neal's spot...Jamario has been a bust and is just lost in coverage..unless he's showed marked improvement..

It's obvious Boechman can't turn it over for the team to be successful...but the schedule is so backend loaded that this is very good news for an offense to get time to get timing and it's feet wet and chemistry playing together...

Whereas the early tests last year helped get that D battle tested, it's tougher for an offense to do it cause it's not as instinctive as defense..

And thats' why the schedule plays into tOSU's favor this year..

Jesus according to that guys writeup, Its going to be the best OSU team ever. He talks about ever guys explosiveness etc. A good writeup but still lots of homer in it

Jesus according to that guys writeup, Its going to be the best OSU team ever. He talks about ever guys explosiveness etc. A good writeup but still lots of homer in it

It does for sure..

This is a year that we befefit from a lot of good classes..so the talent is as high as it's been for a while...esp on defense..

But yes, overstated in spots..

Great stuff jump..thanks.

repeat after me, beanie motherfuckin wells.

hey I hate OSU, but I respect the fuck out of them.

Here is my UM and OSU thought(posted in my other thread)

Ohio State

Just to get this out of the way- I think if OSU plays UF 100 times (with last years teams) OSU would win at least 90 of them. That game and lack of focusness (Jim Thome term) has been all over Ohio/Columbus all Spring. It is hard to know what kind of “mood” OSU players have going into this season. Are the still shell-shocked/embarrassed? As a sweater vest supporter, I think that Buckeyes will be ready to roll this year. How they will roll remains to be seen.

OFFENSE

Not that it needs to be said but they have many weapons to replace! I think last year will be the last time you will see a spread offense at OSU. This year they will go back to the power attack IMO - 3 yards and a cloud of dust!

The question with the offense last year was who makes the ship sail? Did Troy Smith make everyone look good? Did Ginn and Gonzo make the rest of the WR s look good? Did the spread offense allow Pittman did run for a shit load of yards?

QB Though it really is not “official”, Todd Boeckman has won a heated 3 way race with Antonio Henton and Rob Shoenhoft. Though I think I will see some playing time in the first 3 games (kind of like Zwick and Smith 3 years ago), Boeckman seems to be the man. He has been a Buckeye forever it seems. He committed to the team in 03, then followed guidance and did not enroll till 2004 (Smith was the man). He is from Ohio and grew up in a town where some Buckeye greats are from. Boeckman(6’ 5” 240) reminds me of a mixture of Craig Krenzal and Justin Zwick. He has a strong arm like Zwick but is smart like Krenzal. He does not do much that is spectacular but he does not make dumb mistakes. I love Henton though! He is young (freshman) and is a dual threat QB.

RB Antonio Pittman left after back to back 1000+ seasons. OSU is not really concerned because they are loaded at this spot. Sophomore Chris Wells (number 1 overall recruit last year) seems ready to take over the helm. What worries people with him is his fumbling problems from a year ago. His family lives down the street from me and say it is all good now. What are they going to say though? “He sucks and will fumble 34 times this year!” Maurice Wells, another solid recruit a few years back, will change the pace- he can get to the corner. Also, Brandon Saine (All American Track star in HS) who was Ohio’s Mr. Football a year ago will get some PT.

WR You would think after losing your 2 main targets that their would be a huge falloff at this position. Since OSU used a lot of 4 and 5 wide looks last year, Brian Hartline and Brian Robiske saw the field a lot. They were very productive a year ago, and should do fine this year. The other young player that I think will have a breakout season will be Ray Small (another Cleveland Glenville product… Ginn, Troy Smith, Donte Whitner, Jamari O’neil, and so on. There are over 20 players playing D1 BCS football from this public school). Everyone at OSU and Glenville says that Small is faster than Ginn. Even Ginn’s biggest promoter, Tedd Ginn SR. said that Small smoked him in HS and at OSU. He will be an interesting/exciting slot receiver to watch. Rory Nichol will once again be at TE…solid
OL Ohio State brings back 3 solid players from their line a year ago. They should be decent - there is a lot of experience coming back. That is because Tressal rotates his line all game so usually about 10 different OL will play each game….

Kicker This position I think is Tressal’s favorite spot, besides the punter of course. Aarron Peatry who made 8 out of his last 9 will split time with a 28 year old walk on from South Africa (lol)

DEFENSE

DL OSU lost 3 starter to the NFL from a year ago. Vernon Gholston is the only one returning (Second team Big 10- early possible All American). Then ends seem to be solid with Gholston on one side and Lawrence Wilson (as been getting PT for 2 years, former bball teammate of Lebron) on the other side. Also, Sophomore Robert Rose (BIG recruit in the Chris Wells class) will see some action. After losing their top 3 tackles, that will be the position of question for the Buckeyes.

LB James Laurinaitis is the man in the middle. He will be back for his junior year after having an amazing sophomore year (Nagurski Award winner, finalist for Butkus and Bedarik, and first team All American). He had 115 tackles, 5 picks, and 4 sacks! Marcus Freeman, a freakish athlete, will help Animal out.

DB The secondary should do well. They have 2 good cover corners and a couple of big hitters. Malcom Jenkins is the main man and Donald Washington will be on the other side. Also, OSU has 6 freshman DB s that they recruited. They are talking that as many as 4 will see significant playing time.

Punter AJ Trapasso will once again be back. He is solid.

CONCLUSION

Well all winter I have said that O-State would lose at least three games and maybe four. How could you lose that much talent and have another successful season? Well, I think that Jim Tressal (62-14 record at OSU) is very key in that. Ohio State plays as many players in a single game than I have ever seen. Tressal likes his young guys to get experience and that pays dividends. I think the offense has potential to put up points but I tend to think they will pound the ball. Defensively I see teams trying to pound the ball up the gut against OSU. DT seems to be the weakest part of this team. With that being said, their ends are fast and they have to above average LB s helping the tackles out. The schedule is a very interesting one this year for Ohio State. They get Texas off their schedule before getting Miami next year. They have Youngstown State (solid 1A school) and Akron to open the schedule…ok the should walk over these teams. After that they have to travel out west and play at Washington- should be an interesting line. My thing with the schedule is coming up
I think that winning on the road in the Big 10 is harder than any other conference.

Yes, there are other conferences, like the SEC, that have better teams but the passion is just not the same. Every Big 10 school will pack their stadium- you go to a hostile crowd every week (with the exception of a couple). You play at 100,000 + stadiums against 3 teams. Then you have Camp Randall and Iowa. The atmosphere is just amazing….

Anyways, Ohio State (who struggles at night) must play 3 road night games (Minnesota, Purdue, and then Penn State). They get Wisky at home but have to travel to the state up north. It will be an interesting season in Buckeye Land- to say the least...

Prediction

(9-3) maybe 8-4, tied for second in the Big 10

What to bet
UNDER

images
images
images
images
images
images
images
images

Michigan
For the first time in a few years, Michigan seems to be the clear cut favorite to bring home the Big 10 championship. Whether it has more to do with their schedule or team remains to be seen. What some people do not realize is that Michigan has lost a lot of players. They only have 10 total starters returning from a year ago.

OFFENSE

This group is very talented and should have no problem putting points up on the board (If Lloyd does not handcuff them).

QB Chad Henne is back for the fourth time. He had a great Freshman year and then struggled 2 years ago before having a tremendous Junior year. I like this kid.

RB Mike Hart is also the real deal. There are not 4 better QB s than Henne nor RB s better than Hart. One thing that concerns me, is that Kevin Grady is all likely done for the season (SEMCON Boys?). He is a strong runner that, from what I hear, is still rehabbing his torn ACL. Word coming out of Ann Arbor is that Brandon Minor had a huge Spring and will be ready to fill in.

WR Mario Manningham is a beast and will be healthy, finally. After Manningham, I am not really sure what will be there. The last I heard was that Adrian Arrington would not be with the team (got in trouble or something). Would love to know his status….anyone? Freshmen Martel Webb and Toney Clemons will help this core. Sophomore LaTerryl Savoy played mostly special teams a year ago, but is highly touted up north.
OL Left Tackle Jake Long will be back for his senior season. Like every other spot on this offense, they have a premier player in the nation. Long is considered to be on of the best lineman in the nation. Adam Kraus and Alex Mitchell will also be back to contain the guard spots. The other tackle spot seems to be Alex Mitchell. He was a big time recruit in 2006 before getting slowed up by injuries.

Kicker They lost a 4 year starter and this job seems to be open now. There are 3 different players vying for this spot.

DEFENSE

DL After losing Lemarr Woodley and Allan Branch to the NFL, UM has some issues up front. Terrance Taylor is the lone returning starter on this line. End Tim Jamison will see more of a starting role with the open spots( he had 5 sacks last year). Finally, Brandon Graham will see some PT. SEMCON can explain more about him BUT I know he is from D Town and was a very prized recruit a couple years back. The starters will be fine, its what is behind them that has be in question. There is not much depth here and in the Big 10 your going to face some good RB s and teams that like to pound it.

LB Shawn Crable will be the lone returning starter in this shredded core. From everything I hear, there is plenty of talent and prospects willing to step up. Jonus Mouton is someone that I like a lot and I believe he will see a lot of PT as the year glides along. He came to Ann Arbor as a DB but has bulked up and is now a LB. Austin Panter, a JUCO transfer, might even sneak into this starting lineup.

DB This is where it gets very very interesting. This secondary absolutely got smoked by USC and Ohio State in their last two games. Leon Hall is gone so the Wolverines look at Jamar Adams to be the leader. He will put up good stats but seems to have brain farts every once awhile. You cannot do that if you are realistically going to contend for a Big 10/ National Title. Everything I hear about Steve Brown is excellent (probably start other safety spot). From what I hear, this kid can fly. Michigan people what is up with him? Burner? Morgan Trent is back at CB. I see this as a BIG area of concern for UM

Conclusion

This is a very unusual team IMO (And you are saying, “Well duh, it is Michigan”). Michigan always seems to be underachievers when they are supposed to be good and visa versa. I point to no one but Lloyd Carr because of this. He is the John Cooper of Michigan. The talent and schedule is there for them to make a very serious bid at a national title. They get Oregon, Notre Dame, Penn State, and Ohio State all at home. None of these game will be easy BUT it helps when you have 110,000 people supporting you. Key games I look at for this team will be at Illinois, at Wisconsin, and home against Ohio State. That Illinois game is a night game on the road. Illinois is not by any means a power house but they will continue to improve. The Juice might get loose that game. Wisconsin, I believe, will be where Michigan stumbles. This has all the makings of a John Lloyd Cooper Carr meltdown/choke (call it what you want). It is very possible and I say probable that Michigan will be undefeated coming into this game. You have the classic look ahead factor that mediocre coaches tend not to prepare their team for (Ohio State the following week, with a chance for a national title on the line…revenge from previous years). You are also playing a very good team in a very hostile environment. I have been to a game @ Wisconsin before, and it is something special. Great Environment! Because of this loss @ Wisky, I think they also might struggle against the Buckeyes.

Ultimately, I look at Ohio State and Wisconsin as teams that Michigan will struggle against. They both will have very strong “between the tackles” running games.

Prediction
11-1 10-2 (1 or 2 losses in the Big 10)

What to Bet
I think it is always hard to find what to bet with Michigan. It always seems to take the week before into consideration. I will like at OVERs early in the season and maybe some ATS against them. Lloyd Carr does not usually blow out teams. Plus, they will be a big public team and I think we will be able to get some free points. I think they will win their first 10 games but I do not think they will cover many. Then again, Carr might put more faith into his 4 year starter at QB (similar to Tressal last year). So until I hear from SEMCON nation, I will be looking at overs.

Back