Big-10 Discussion Thread

Don't want to start with them...but I need to pepper this thread with pictures before the Ohio contingent sees the thread.

2006-09-19-pow.jpg

Ill talk about any Big 10 team. The only 2 I really dont know a lot about are Michigan St. and Northwestern.

Guess we can start it off with Wisconsin, Michigan, Penn St talk.

I'll take a deeper look into Northwestern later, but we can start with the top of the division first.

This is going to be a very competitive league this year in the upper half.

Actually, other than Minnesota and IU I expect every team to have a bowl chance.

The more the summer goes on the more I think Michigan State is going to be a suprise team. Nomore 40-38 shootouts. This is goping to be a stuff it down your throat team and they will win the old-fashioned way. Caulcrick and Ringer will combine for 2000-2500 yards in my estimation and make Hoyer an effective QB.

At the top, its UM,The fuckeyes, PSU and UW.

The 4th week of the season could well determine the Big Ten champ. If Penn State is able to come into Ace Duece and win they will be the favorites in my opinion. They get the fuckeyes and wisky at home.

Pick a team gentleman and lets get started.

It looks like Donovan is going to be the starter to begin the year. He played a couple last year while Stocco was down and performed above expectations. Hes always been known as a great runner but last year showed he can also pass the ball accuratley. They got good depth with KState transfer Allen Everidge a lefty who is a similar type to Donovan but with a stronger arm. This is one position where the Badgers dont have to worry about a guy going down this year. They should have it covered

Fondy seems to think Wisky won't fare too well. I like the team a lot in all honesty. Great home advantage. The QB got some experience last year. Great running game and solid stable of receivers.

Wisky it is. A quick look at last year's and this year's sched:

Last year:

Schedule/Results

<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datahead colSpan=5>Regular Season:</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2b width="18%">Date</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="15%">vs.</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="25%">Score</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="24%">Line</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="18%">O/U</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/02/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@BGREN </TD><TD class=datacell>W 35-14 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -11.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 46.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/09/06</TD><TD class=datacell>WILL</TD><TD class=datacell>W 34-10 </TD><TD class=datacell>- -</TD><TD class=datacell>- -</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/16/06</TD><TD class=datacell>SDST </TD><TD class=datacell>W 14-0 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -12.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 45</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/23/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@MICH </TD><TD class=datacell>L 13-27 </TD><TD class=datacell>P 14</TD><TD class=datacell>U 41</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/30/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@IND </TD><TD class=datacell>W 52-17 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -10</TD><TD class=datacell>O 41.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/07/06</TD><TD class=datacell>NWEST </TD><TD class=datacell>W 41-9 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -19.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 41.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/14/06</TD><TD class=datacell>MINN </TD><TD class=datacell>W 48-12 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -7.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 51.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/21/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@PURD </TD><TD class=datacell>W 24-3 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -6.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 56</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/28/06</TD><TD class=datacell>ILL </TD><TD class=datacell>W 30-24 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -21</TD><TD class=datacell>O 45</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/04/06</TD><TD class=datacell>PENST </TD><TD class=datacell>W 13-3 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -6.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 37</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/11/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@IOWA </TD><TD class=datacell>W 24-21 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -1.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 38.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/18/06</TD><TD class=datacell>BUFF </TD><TD class=datacell>W 35-3 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -38</TD><TD class=datacell>U 47</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>01/01/07</TD><TD class=datacell>@ARK </TD><TD class=datacell>W 17-14 </TD><TD class=datacell>W 2.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 46</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

No real correlations that I can see. 6-6 on the O/U, an impressive 9-2-1 ATS. They were quite successful as small favs, but struggled a little as big favs, failing to cover against Buffalo and Illinois.

This season:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 align=middle><TD>Date</TD><TD>Opponent</TD><TD>Time/Result</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 1</TD><TD align=middle>Washington St.</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1188675000))</SCRIPT>3:30pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 8</TD><TD align=middle>@UNLV</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1189303200))</SCRIPT>10:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 15</TD><TD align=middle>The Citadel</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1189872000))</SCRIPT>12:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 22</TD><TD align=middle>Iowa</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1190505600))</SCRIPT>8:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 29</TD><TD align=middle>Michigan St.</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 6</TD><TD align=middle>@Illinois</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 13</TD><TD align=middle>@Penn St.</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1192303800))</SCRIPT>2:30pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 20</TD><TD align=middle>Northern Illinois</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 27</TD><TD align=middle>Indiana</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1193500800))</SCRIPT>11:00am</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 3</TD><TD align=middle>@Ohio St.</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 10</TD><TD align=middle>Michigan</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 17</TD><TD align=middle>@Minnesota</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Nothing too difficult in the OOC schedule. They get Michigan and Iowa at home, but have to travel to OSU and PSU.

I like Donovans game. I think in that controlled offense he will do just fine.

Even though its a rival, I really like how Wisky plays and respect how the team operates over there. I like watching the Badger games.

I like Donovans game. I think in that controlled offense he will do just fine.

Even though its a rival, I really like how Wisky plays and respect how the team operates over there. I like watching the Badger games.

I guess I am somewhat biased as I went 7-1 on their sides and one 2nd half last year:tiphat:

Same here BAR. I could see them battling for the title with Michigan and PSU all year(Im not too high on OSU this year). They got another great O-line and of course PJ Hill who ran all over teams as a frosh last year. They also have a security blanket and the best TE in the nation in Beckum. Solid WR's nothing too spectacular but guys who catch the ball. Swan, Hubbard, Randal El. They got a true frosh Toon who could do something maybe.

Their defense could be best in the whole league this year. Great front 4 and besides PSU the best LB's in the conference with crazy speed. Also have arguably the best cover corner in the Big 10 with Jack Ike. Safety is a concern but hopefully those guys can come in and just play solid cause thats all they will need. Not even to mention their Special Teams. Kicker Melhaff and Punter DeBauche are a great combo

My no means do I think they meet last year's 12-1 record, but I don't see this team doing poorly.

They return 16 starters, in addition to both kicker Tyler Mehlhaff and punter Ken DuBauche. They probably have the best K/P combo in the conference.

They will be ridiculously balanced on offense assuming Donovan can do the job.

I think the defense could be slightly down this year, but they should be very solid. Last year, they only allowed 20 or more points three times.

I like Wiskys schedule this year. I think it favores them. The only game Im worrying about is @PSU. That game scares the hell out of me and I think the Badgers will lose that one. Michigan at Camp Randall is going to be nuts. Especially if its a night game. You give the students at Madison from 7.am. to 6p.m. to drink and you will have a rowdy ass crowd

I also read that they did not return any kickoff further than 26 during the entire season. That should change with the new rules. Hopefully they can find a KR to step in and be a threat.

My no means do I think they meet last year's 12-1 record, but I don't see this team doing poorly.

They return 16 starters, in addition to both kicker Tyler Mehlhaff and punter Ken DuBauche. They probably have the best K/P combo in the conference.

They will be ridiculously balanced on offense assuming Donovan can do the job.

I think the defense could be slightly down this year, but they should be very solid. Last year, they only allowed 20 or more points three times.

I think the defense will be better D. They lose both safeties and MLB Zalewski but replace him with Abdul Hodge's little brother who is a stud. Hayden and Shaughnessy on the front 4 is also a great thing to have

I also read that they did not return any kickoff further than 26 during the entire season. That should change with the new rules. Hopefully they can find a KR to step in and be a threat.

Marcus Randel El who was hurt last year should be able to step in and do the duties. I wouldnt mind seeing Lance Kendricks though who was track champion in High School in Wisconsin

I think the defense will be better D. They lose both safeties and MLB Zalewski but replace him with Abdul Hodge's little brother who is a stud. Hayden and Shaughnessy on the front 4 is also a great thing to have

I think that the uncertainty at safety is what keeps me from saying that they will be better. I read that junior Shane Carter (related to Cris Carter) is expected to fill the FS spot, but he has only five tackles in limited time in two seasons. I worry that a deep WR core could have some success against this defense.

Ok ill start it off by saying their offense is going to be very good. They return almost all the key pieces. OT Long deciding to stay was huge for them IMO. Having Hart run behind him is just a whole different thing then having some guy just come in trying to step into his shoes. Manningham could be the best WR in the nation. Thos out and ups that almost every single CB got burned on last year was just fun to watch. Im saying Hart has a huge year. Ive always loved watching him play. For his size hes a load to bring down

Their D loses tons of talent however. 7 starters is a tough thing to replace. I honestly dont know much about any of them besides Crable.

Michigan's 2006:

<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datahead colSpan=5>Regular Season:</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datahl2b width="18%">Date</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="15%">vs.</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="25%">Score</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="24%">Line</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="18%">O/U</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/02/06</TD><TD class=datacell>VAN </TD><TD class=datacell>W 27-7 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -26.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 46.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/09/06</TD><TD class=datacell>CMICH </TD><TD class=datacell>W 41-17 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -27</TD><TD class=datacell>O 44.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/16/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@NOTRE </TD><TD class=datacell>W 47-21 </TD><TD class=datacell>W 5.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 49.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/23/06</TD><TD class=datacell>WISC </TD><TD class=datacell>W 27-13 </TD><TD class=datacell>P -14</TD><TD class=datacell>U 41</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/30/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@MINN </TD><TD class=datacell>W 28-14 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -10.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 49.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/07/06</TD><TD class=datacell>MCHST </TD><TD class=datacell>W 31-13 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -15</TD><TD class=datacell>U 52.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/14/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@PENST </TD><TD class=datacell>W 17-10 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 39.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/21/06</TD><TD class=datacell>IOWA </TD><TD class=datacell>W 20-6 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -12.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 44</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/28/06</TD><TD class=datacell>NWEST </TD><TD class=datacell>W 17-3 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -29</TD><TD class=datacell>U 42.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/04/06</TD><TD class=datacell>BALST </TD><TD class=datacell>W 34-26 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -32.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 49.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/11/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@IND </TD><TD class=datacell>W 34-3 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -19</TD><TD class=datacell>U 49</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/18/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@OHIST </TD><TD class=datacell>L 39-42 </TD><TD class=datacell>W 6.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 40.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>01/01/07</TD><TD class=datacell>@USC </TD><TD class=datacell>L 18-32 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -1.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 46</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5-8 on the O/U. 7-5-1 ATS: they struggled as big favorite, losing all four games ATS where they were favored by 25 or more.

This season:

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg0><TD class=bg0font>SCHEDULE</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 align=middle><TD>Date</TD><TD>Opponent</TD><TD>Time/Result</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 1</TD><TD align=middle>Appalachian State</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1188662400))</SCRIPT>12:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 8</TD><TD align=middle>Oregon</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1189279800))</SCRIPT>3:30pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 15</TD><TD align=middle>Notre Dame</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1189884600))</SCRIPT>3:30pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 22</TD><TD align=middle>Penn St.</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 29</TD><TD align=middle>@Northwestern</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 6</TD><TD align=middle>E. Michigan</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 13</TD><TD align=middle>Purdue</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 20</TD><TD align=middle>@Illinois</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1192924800))</SCRIPT>7:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 27</TD><TD align=middle>Minnesota</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 3</TD><TD align=middle>@Michigan St.</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 10</TD><TD align=middle>@Wisconsin</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 17</TD><TD align=middle>Ohio St.</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Have to travel to Wisky, but they get OSU and PSU at home. Also an interesting OOC schedule, as they play ND and Oregon at home.

This really strikes as an Over team, especially in closely contested games. I really don't see anyone shutting them down. The only thing that worries me is Carr's conservative nature in blowouts. However, against top-tier and middle-tier conference teams, there could be some shootouts.

They only had one O/U above 50 last season, I expect that to change this season. There could be value if the linesmakers don't adjust early.

i have to do this ...

the ats producing over the total scoring ...
isiah22flash.jpg
Juice Williams

I got them off the top of my head for 9 wins. The Oregon game scares me. Dixon and Stewart is a very good combo and might be able to run all over the Wolverines D. I got their other losses at PSU, and @Wisky which also could be a tossup

Michigan is much like Ohio St last year at this time of year. Everyone knows they will have an explosive offense but questions surround the defense. Just like most big programs, Michigan replaces talent with talent and thats what will happen defensively for them. The question is how quickly will they take to gel and become a solid defense? Early games against Oregon and PSU will detemine if this is a special season or an average season. The offense has as much talent as any in the country. The question always becomes will they be aggressive enough. Michigan made strides in that department last year and they will need to even more this year. The defense could carry this team 90 percent of last year. Not this year. The return to the team of Adrian Arrington is HUGE. The loss of Grady isn't too bad with Brown and Minor back behind Hart.

Like I said earlier the PSU game is huge. The end of the season is tough too. D'antoni is playing the Michigan game off like sweatervest did years ago and we go there this year. Then its off to Wisky before OSU to end the season.

I think the Wolverines are what they are, a very experienced veteran talented offense, and a very young albeit talented defense. They have a rather favorable schedule this year, catching the tough ones (apart from Wiscy) at home.

Hmm, my first instinct was that they would beat up on Oregon. Guess I'll have to look at that one again.

I got them off the top of my head for 9 wins. The Oregon game scares me. Dixon and Stewart is a very good combo and might be able to run all over the Wolverines D. I got their other losses at PSU, and @Wisky which also could be a tossup

Penn State is here this year. They haven't beaten us since 1994 but this is their best chance.

Oregon is gonna be a shootout. Plain and simple. I think we get it but who knows.

Wisky will be a tough game but as it is later in the year we have a better chance. Last time in Madison we absolutey choked the game away(which I was glad as I had UW on a bet ;)). Depending on how wisky/um do againsty PSU that could decide things. Interesting that UM-Wisky changed back to their normal November game after a few years playing in September.

The rushing totals they allowed were staggering, 9 of 13 opponents were belowe 50 and 2 were in the red.

I will be shocked if that happens again this year.

The rushing totals they allowed were staggering, 9 of 13 opponents were belowe 50 and 2 were in the red.

I will be shocked if that happens again this year.

No doubt gar...that front 7 last year was unreal. It was a real pleasure watching them. The talent is there to be a solid defense and they will improve as the year goes by.

The biggest concern for me is special teams. No Braeston, Ryan or Rivas.

Shit, last time we played Oregon we had the same issue:hang:

They ought to be able to move the ball on Oregon. Especially on the ground. If they struggle with the rushing attack against that front seven you can count on it being a long year. The Ducks do have a respectable secondary, but I would still take Manning and Arring against that group.

This really strikes as an Over team, especially in closely contested games. I really don't see anyone shutting them down. The only thing that worries me is Carr's conservative nature in blowouts. However, against top-tier and middle-tier conference teams, there could be some shootouts.

They only had one O/U above 50 last season, I expect that to change this season. There could be value if the linesmakers don't adjust early.

Excellent point. Super Frosh Mallett will liekly be the backup. He could be key in some 4th quarters of blowouts when you talk about totals.

Oregon flatout beat you last time. They made you 100% one-dimensional and Navarre tried to deliver a comeback in the 4thQ, but it wasn't meant to be. Hard to believe that has already been 4 years. Man time flies.

They ought to be able to move the ball on Oregon. Especially on the ground. If they struggle with the rushing attack against that front seven you can count on it being a long year. The Ducks do have a respectable secondary, but I would still take Manning and Arring against that group.

Yeah. Manningham is the most dangerous receiver in the country IMO and him being hurt last season was a blessing for A-squared. He finally lived up to expectations and looks sooo much more comfortable in the offense.

Oregon flatout beat you last time. They made you 100% one-dimensional and Navarre tried to deliver a comeback in the 4thQ, but it wasn't meant to be. Hard to believe that has already been 4 years. Man time flies.
Oh I remember well. The bad part of that game was Carr and the Special Teams were afarid to punt that year. That was the year of the "rollout" punt and funky formations. The blocked punt was a huge key in that game.

nah, the one we gave away out there was at UW. That was one of the bigger choke jobs in recent memory.

BTW...I think national publications are giving UM too much respect to start the season. If they make it through the first month then it will be deserved. That being said, at this point they are ranked a bit high IMO. I would have them more 10-12 range.

PSU is actually my personal favorite to win the conference this year. Morelli proved he can manage the offense last year and with the huge arm of his and another year of experience I think they also will have an above average offense. DWilliams and Butler are explosive as they come as far as tandems. They could break one from any distance at any time.

PSU's 2006:

<TABLE class=data cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2><TBODY><TR><TD class=datahl2b width="18%">Date</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="15%">vs.</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="25%">Score</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="24%">Line</TD><TD class=datahl2b width="18%">O/U</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/02/06</TD><TD class=datacell>AKR </TD><TD class=datacell>W 34-16 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -17.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 41</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/09/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@NOTRE </TD><TD class=datacell>L 17-41 </TD><TD class=datacell>L 8.5</TD><TD class=datacell>O 46</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/16/06</TD><TD class=datacell>YOUST</TD><TD class=datacell>W 37-3 </TD><TD class=datacell>- -</TD><TD class=datacell>- -</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/23/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@OHIST </TD><TD class=datacell>L 6-28 </TD><TD class=datacell>L 16.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 42</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>09/30/06</TD><TD class=datacell>NWEST </TD><TD class=datacell>W 33-7 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -20</TD><TD class=datacell>U 41.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/07/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@MINN </TD><TD class=datacell>W 28-27 x</TD><TD class=datacell>P -1</TD><TD class=datacell>O 49</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/14/06</TD><TD class=datacell>MICH </TD><TD class=datacell>L 10-17 </TD><TD class=datacell>L 5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 39.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/21/06</TD><TD class=datacell>ILL </TD><TD class=datacell>W 26-12 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -17.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 43.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>10/28/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@PURD </TD><TD class=datacell>W 12-0 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -3</TD><TD class=datacell>U 46</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/04/06</TD><TD class=datacell>@WISC </TD><TD class=datacell>L 3-13 </TD><TD class=datacell>L 6.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 37</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/11/06</TD><TD class=datacell>TEM </TD><TD class=datacell>W 47-0 </TD><TD class=datacell>W -36</TD><TD class=datacell>O 46.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>11/18/06</TD><TD class=datacell>MCHST </TD><TD class=datacell>W 17-13 </TD><TD class=datacell>L -18.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 44.5</TD></TR><TR align=left><TD class=datacell>01/01/07</TD><TD class=datacell>@TENN </TD><TD class=datacell>W 20-10 </TD><TD class=datacell>W 3.5</TD><TD class=datacell>U 41.5</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

This season:

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=bg1 align=middle><TD>Date</TD><TD>Opponent</TD><TD>Time/Result</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 1</TD><TD align=middle>Fla. International</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1188662400))</SCRIPT>12:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 8</TD><TD align=middle>Notre Dame</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1189288800))</SCRIPT>6:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 15</TD><TD align=middle>Buffalo</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1189872000))</SCRIPT>12:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 22</TD><TD align=middle>@Michigan</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Sep 29</TD><TD align=middle>@Illinois</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 6</TD><TD align=middle>Iowa</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 13</TD><TD align=middle>Wisconsin</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1192303800))</SCRIPT>2:30pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 20</TD><TD align=middle>@Indiana</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Oct 27</TD><TD align=middle>Ohio St.</TD><TD align=middle><SCRIPT>document.write(formatTime('%I:%M%p', 1193529600))</SCRIPT>7:00pm</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 3</TD><TD align=middle>Purdue</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 10</TD><TD align=middle>@Temple</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR><TR class=bg2 vAlign=center align=right height=17><TD align=middle>Nov 17</TD><TD align=middle>@Michigan St.</TD><TD align=middle>TBA</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Great set-up and the most favorable schedule among the Big-10 top tier IMO. Iowa, Wisky, and OSU at home. And they get the @Michigan relatively early while their defense may still be adjusting.

@Illinois could be a potentially difficult situation for them though as they will be coming off the Michigan game with Iowa on the horizon.

My Opinion
Wins-Fla Int. Notre Dame, Buffalo, Iowa, Indiana, O$U, Purdue, Temple, Mich. St.
Losses - Michigan
Toss up- Wisky, Illinois

Illinois is a certain sandwich game for Penn State but like you guys said the schedule for the Lions sets up solid after the UM Game. Morelli can only be better and the defense should be good even w/o Paul.

Let me say that I am not a huge Anthony Morelli fan after watching him last year. He barely completed over 50% of his passes, and he made questionable decisions fairly often.

That said, he is supposedly improving and has a lot of returning help. Add that to the favorable schedule, and I have a tough time arguing against them being one of the two or three Big-10 favorites.

I don't have much else to say about this team, as I expect them to be similar to last year. Very solid defense, servicable offense that does enough to win. Morelli may have to do more with Hunt gone, but some PSU fans think that the insertion of Austin Scott at starting RB will be a seamless transition. He redshirted last season so that he could start during his senior year.

Back