BG's 2006 FIBA World Champs

Day 4 and there is just the one I like for the moment....

Brazil to beat Turkey - (+120) (5 units)

Obviously a big play for me here, but there is a lot to like about this one. I clearly underestimated the Turks in the leadup to this tournament. Even without their big guns this team has been impressive.

Turkey are effectively into the next round, keeping in mind they have a match against the mighty Qataris up their sleeve. Brazil are not - they still have to play Greece and Lithuania after this one. On the face of it this one is the match they have more chance of winning IMO unless Greece and Lithuania switch off in the remaining games. Just don't see Brazil taking that chance. Motivation of both teams is one angle to look at.

Next is the matchup itself - personally I see the Samba boys being too athletic for the defense orientated Turks. Further if you look closely at both of Turkey's wins, there has been a bit of vulenerabiliy about it. I said before Lithuania played poorly against them game 1, I have a feeling Turkey caught them at the right time given it was the first game (Lithuania ourebounded them 40-24 yet still could not take advantage). Game 2 against Australia was horrendous, down 14 points at HT, Australia fell asleep and down the stretch lost both their floor leaders in Bruton and Smith due to fouling out with Turkey running over them.

Brazil got caught napping against Australia and paid for it - IMO the linemakers are working off the theory that since Australia beat Brazil, and Turkey beat Australia, by right Turkey should be favoured against Brazil. I can assure you if this was the first game, Turkey would be getting the points in this one.

Looking at potentially one other play.

good luck :shake:

BG,

First off, let me say how utterly jealous I'm of you, that you can see these games live (during normal hours), and thus have a handle of this tournament. I love betting tournaments, and due to the time difference have basically been left out in the cold.

Second, I'm tailing on the BRAZIL play. Just from following the box scores / spreads / and reports from the tourney, I made Brazil a 2 point fav.

Good Luck!:cheers:

Who wasnt on Spain? That was easy money.

I looked at the ml for Japan of and on during that Spanish game, and it keep *talking* to me, but I just couldnt pull the trigger. What an idiot, I pass on Angola, then on the Japs.

Brazil sounds good, but knowing Murphy's Law, the moment I touch the Brazilian Dog, having passed on the aforementioned teams, this time it'll lose

Ok I rarely do this but after the Greece v Australia result this is too good to pass up hence going over my 5 unit stake max.

Adding more on Brazil:

Brazil to beat Turkey - (+100) (5 units)

10 units in play now, potentially some cubans for me if this gets up.

Day 4 Recap

Brazil ML = LOSS (-5 units)
Brazil ML = LOSS (-5 units)

Total: -10 units

That was simply one of the mos farcial games I have seen, Brazil miss 9 FT's in the final qtr, Barbosa misses two at the death which would have got them the lead.

Taking a break tomorrow, head is still spinning after that.

arrgghhhhhhhhhh

Was following it on FIBA site, that was just brutal seeing missed free throw after missed free throw popping up...

I'm sure you'll bounce back.

Tough loss, but I was on the other side.

I haven't been following FIBA too closely but I tailed Railbird on this one.

Ok after taking a bit of a break and watching the remaining prelim games, ready to go again...

Slovenia to beat Turkey - (+110) (3 units)

Potentially an overreation of Slovenia's S/U loss to China in the last prelim game. Turkey are hurting at the moment with Ersan missing the last game against Greece and Kutulay requiring needles to get him through the game and is a gametime decision for today's game.

Might add a couple more bit later

Last edited:
well, a ton of European teams, so my wager on a European team to win the tourney seems like it has a good shot. Hopefully the Aussies can cause an upset to the US.

Toronto_Mike said:
well, a ton of European teams, so my wager on a European team to win the tourney seems like it has a good shot. Hopefully the Aussies can cause an upset to the US.

lol Aussies will do well to get within 30

Greece are on a collision course with USA in the SF :shake:

bevo - Argentina should be able to shut down NZ's 3-ball, which leaves them with little else.

BG - GL with the Slovo pick. Turkey should have lost to Aussie, should have lost to Brazil (and should never have been in the position to do so, as well). Slovenia pushed the States til near the end and had some narrow losses. If Turkey were fully fit I wouldnt back against them, but as things stand...

Round 2 (1st Day Recap)

Slovenia ML = LOSS (-3 units)

Lithuania -2 = WIN (+2.70 units)

Total: -0.3 units

Be back in a bit

I'm going for the Angolan ml. They're like Turkey, their play warrants a playoff win, and France? yeah, lets lose to Lebanon LOL

With you on the Angolans BC...

Angola to cover +5.5 v France - (-110) (3.5 units)

They probably will win S/U but will gladly take the points in this one.

Those pricks fucked it all up with a lousy 1st period. Take away the 1st, then have the last 3 as *the first 3* and theres a fucking game.

Round 2 (2nd Day Recap)

Angola +5.5 = LOSS (-3.5 units)

Man that game really pissed me off. I was unable to post any of my QF plays due to internet connection issues. Good to see Spain continue to roll and Greece as well.

Typical - Turkey get smashed today when I didn't fade them. Finally this cat ran out of lives.

Bring on the main event - Spain v Argentina :moose:

BetCrimes1984 said:
I dont think their easy passage has yet ended, mike

Germany

:hairout: no kidding. Another fucked up thing is they either play Greece or France...... It better not be France.

I definitely would have preferred they played either Argies or Spain in the semis - but I think Greece will still give them a run for their money.

So far just the one for me:

Greece to cover -8 v France - (-110) (3 units)

Greece's PG rotation coupled with their stifling full court defense is going to be too much for the French to handle today IMO. Add to that this team has complete ownage over France in major competitions since the mid 1980's. France have been far from impressive thus far this tournament, Parker's absence has hurt them offensively - not what you want when you are coming up against the best defense in the comp.

bad gambler said:
Add:

USA to cover -24.5 v Germany - (-110) (4 units)

'

Good health to you. I went really small on Germany ML's for quarter's and game, and then spreads for half and game. Just have a bad feeling about USA today.

Fondybadger said:
'

Good health to you. I went really small on Germany ML's for quarter's and game, and then spreads for half and game. Just have a bad feeling about USA today.

Looks like you were right on the money fondy - USA struggling big time against Germany

Greece will give them a battle in the semis..

I've never liked their chances from the get go - don't like their chances against either Argentina or Spain in the final to be honest if they make it that far.

Yet I still took them today covering a huge spread, go figure. :confused:

bad gambler said:
Looks like you were right on the money fondy - USA struggling big time against Germany

Greece will give them a battle in the semis..

I've never liked their chances from the get go - don't like their chances against either Argentina or Spain in the final to be honest if they make it that far.

Yet I still took them today covering a huge spread, go figure. :confused:

USA reminds me of Tiger Woods in golf. It's very tough to bet against them/him, and when you hit with the underdogs you get lucky.

I really can't find another team that I'd support to win it all.

Semi Finals time...

I have the Greeks on the outright, no position to hedge but I do like them to at a minimum to cover tonight and making it a max play as well...

Greece to cover +11.5 v USA - (-110) (5 units)

I have Spain on the outright as well, still pondering what to do with that game given I didn't take Argentina outright at the beginning of the tournament. IMO Spain beats them tonight regardless.

Toronto_Mike said:
lets go god fathers of homosexuality!

What the fuck was that for?

Anyway, Greece +11.5 for 3 units (my biggest play of the tourney).

Gl all! Should be a great one! :wacka wacka:

Now that I have Greece in the final, I'm hedging my Spain bet with Argentina in the late game so either way I come out of this tournament on top.

GL all, and VAMOS Espana.

SF Recap

Greece +11.5 = WIN (+4.50 units)
USA NOT to win the championships = WIN (+9.60 units)

Total: +14.10 units

panos said:
What the fuck was that for?

Anyway, Greece +11.5 for 3 units (my biggest play of the tourney).

Gl all! Should be a great one! :wacka wacka:

hahah sorry, over in Toronto that's how the Greeks like to act.

Anyways, looks like the Europeans are money this tourney, our futures have hit! Congrats BG

Pending Plays:

bad gambler said:
Spain to win - (+850) (2 units)

Greece to win - (+1571) (1.5 units)

I knew there was going to be light at the end of the tunnel after a few miserable losses this tournament.

Oh how sweet the final is going to be.... :cheers:

bad gambler said:
Pending Plays:

I knew there was going to be light at the end of the tunnel after a few miserable losses this tournament.

Oh how sweet the final is going to be.... :cheers:

can't get any better than that!

Oh and before I forget...

Yasssooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Magic basketball by Hellas :wacka wacka:

Well today features both the bronze medal game and the FIBA classification game between France and Turkey.

I'm playing the early one for starters - I have raised my hand and admitted I got this Turkey team completely wrong. What these guys lack in experience they make it up in enthuasism and the attitude of never say die. They have only been blown out once (by the Argentians) but otherwise have been more than competitive in all their games, even though they have been hampered by injuries to key players throughout the tournament. I have faded them continuously throughout this tournament and am down around 15 units by doing so.

Time to get on their bandwagon today though, it's never too late so they say and against a fairly average French team who have struggled offensively, I like my chances....

Turkey to beat France - (-115) (3.5 units)

I was tempted BC for sure on the ML - for some reason I laid off thinking USA come out swinging and then fade at the end.

Classification Games Recap

Turkey ML= LOSS (-3.5 units)
Argentina +7.5 = LOSS (-1.5 units)

Total: -5 units

It all ends tomorrow with two games being Lithuania and Germany then the main event.

Greece will win now with the news of Gasol missing from Spain's lineup. Unless the line for the classification game is appealing, that is probably it from me.

Having a ping in the classification game before the main event, this is my last bet for the tournament:

Lithuania to cover -2 v Germany - (-110) (2.5 units)

Lithuania should not even be playing this game for 7/8 as they completely blew a huge lead last game against Turkey. I still don't rate this German team, simply too much reliance on Dirk.

I lied about it being my last bet - just had a look at the total and found it bemusing. This is a final between the best defensive team in the world against another solid defensive unit. Gasol is out, but he was Spain's man on the offense and not only that he also drew in the extra defender to give his team mates an open shot.

Really like the under here, this is a final between 2 European teams, they know defense will win the game.

Greece v Spain "UNDER" 148.5 - (-110) (3.5 units)

Back