C

C-Gold

The quarterback club

1. Peyton Manning
2. Tom Brady
3A Drew Brees
3B Donovan Mcnabb
5. Carson Palmer

I see Manning and Brady at the top of the hill as clearly the best. After that I see Brees and Donovan. Brees was so good last year you almost want to put him right up there with Manning/Brady. Carson had a couple hiccups but is clearly a top 5 QB. I see these top guys and then everybody else. The fall off to 6 is there.

The youngest guys with the most potential I see to catipult to the top are
1. Eli Manning
2. Alex Smith
3. Matt Leinart

I know people are down on Eli, but he has done a lot of things right ( won divison first year as a starter, made the playoffs in a division with 2 other playoff teams last year... with the hardest schedule). Over half the Giants games last year were against playoff opponents, and they played both superbowl teams, and 3/4 conference finalists. They were also decimated by injuries.

Alex Smith was gradually showing me that he could be a good quarterback, and that prime time game win against division rival Seattle was just amazing. He is a very bright guy, who could end up an elite quarterback

Matt Leinart gave the Cardinals a completly different look than Warner. He got rid of the ball a heck of a lot quicker, which opened up the passing and even the running game. He made quick decisions, which leads me to believe that he can do that longer term. His first game against the Bears was amazing, but he was obviously an upgrade over Warner in his later games.

I believe Matt Hasselback and Trent Green WERE 6/7th best but both had down years last year. Green has been the most underrated QB of the past 5 years, as he had 3 straight 4,000 passing seasons ( that is sick) and 5 straight years above 3500 yards ( that is sick). Besides Tony Gonzales, quickly tell me who his top WR was? Exactly, for what he had at WR, he didn't receive nearly the hype he deserved. He was just an old smart guy who wasn't as hip as some of the younger more mobile quarterbacks.

If I had to award somebody the 6th best quarterback right now, I would probably say Marc Bulger. The only reason I don't like saying Bulger is because I don't know how transferable he is to other offenses. He is great at what he does, but if you threw Bulger into the Buffalo Bills offense, I am not sure how effective he would be.

I think the difficulty in naming a 6, is that it really shows the seperation between the elite 5 quarterbacks. Hasselback could be the 6th best one year, but he was injured and rather middle of the pack last year. I believe Trent Green was consistantly 6th best, but he now has to come back from major injury.

The next grouping of quarterbacks you'd have to look at Favre, Delhomme, Rivers, Rothlisburger, Mcnair, Romo.

Favre has so many critics now, that I am in the minority that believes that he is underrated. He doesn't have the most talented team around him, and he is a gunslinger trying to make something happen. Yes, he throws too many picks, but he is not in a pretty situation.

Delhome is another cajun gunslinger. I don't think Carolina has a particularly great line, and he ends up throwing to Smith too often. Delhomme is more of a risk taker for my liking, but can have some great games.

Rivers was in one of the best situations out of any quarterback last year. The Chargers had one of the best OLines, best runningback, and a stout defense. The overall quality of his team allowed him to focus more on efficiency ( which he was). He performed well in an easier situation, but how would he do if you asked him to win games like Favre had to last year?

Rothlisburger was in Rivers situation the past couple years and performed similarly. People love to throw out the term game "manager". Last year the Steelers D wasn't as good, and big ben had to increase his productivity and wasn't as successful. There is a big difference in trying to be efficient, and trying to go out and score every possession. There is more beta, and I'm only really confident in 5 guys doing that right now.

Mcnair is a former co-mvp. Mcnair was a really good player at one time, and I defended him for probably longer than I should, but I have seen him regress. He isn't what he one was, but he is also playing handcuffed in that Ravens offense. Brian Billeck is NOT the offensive genuis he is labeled, and he runs an ultra conservative offense that is designed to not make mistakes and keep his defense in the game. This year he swears they will open it up more with a more nimble Willis Mcghee, but I'll believe it when I see it. Each and every year they talk about "opening the offense up", but I see that same old ultra conservative offense every single year. I also don't like how Billick blamed it all on Fassel, threw him under the bus and fired him. Billeck was given credit for increased offensive production against some weaker opponents in the short term, but long term I still see that same offense that couldn't score a touchdown on Indy in the playoffs.

Romo started out hot, but then cooled off. I believe at least some of that early success was due to padding the stats. Calling pass plays inside the 5 yardline when Marion Barber could have easily ran it in only padded Romo's TD total and QB rating. Fantasy football players took notice of these monster performances, and big stat days on nationally televised games ( thanksgiving). He really wasn't all THAT impressive during that stretch and regression to the mean set in.

The Worst starter in the league next year might be Tavaras Jackson.

Romo started out hot, but then cooled off. I believe at least some of that early success was due to padding the stats. Calling pass plays inside the 5 yardline when Marion Barber could have easily ran it in only padded Romo's TD total and QB rating. Fantasy football players took notice of these monster performances, and big stat days on nationally televised games ( thanksgiving). He really wasn't all THAT impressive during that stretch and regression to the mean set in.

I firmly believe that he'll drop off and lose his starter job after this upcoming season.

It wouldn't shock me at all.

Personally, I don't like the young guy laughing and joking before game time and talking with Carie Underwood. If it is Brett Favre or Chad Jackson or some veteran jokester it is understandable, but not a virtual rookie quarterback.

I also don't like the constant smiles, and when Parcells laughed at him he just smiles and pat him on the shoulder back. I would have loved to see vintate parcells just lay Tony Homo right out.

I could really respect that crying in the press conference though after the Seattle playoff game/fumble. At least he gave a shit. Do you think Mike Vick would come into that press conference and cry and take responsibility after blowing the game? I think he'd rather go take that paycheck and buy some weed and throw his teammates and coaching staff under the bus.

I don't think he's that bad, but it wouldn't suprise me to see him lose that job. Everybody was going nuts for him and I was waiting for that regression to the mean last year.

Who would you compare him to? People like to say Favre, but I'd say more like Delhomme, who is a poor mans Favre to begin with. So I guess you could call him a watered down, watered down version of Favre.

1. Eli Manning
2. Alex Smith
3. Matt Leinart

The reason I comment on Young and also Jay Cutler is that I see them being better than any of the three young guns you mentioned. I think Eli gets a lot more respect than he deserves because of his last name. With the loss of Tiki I don't see him improving any time soon. With Alex Smith on the left coast all these years I don't know if I've ever watched him play a full game. Leinart I think could be a perennial pro bowler if he doesn't stay Hollywood and shows true football grit.

What's your thoughts on some of the young back ups in the league?

Aaron Rodgers, Brady Quinn, and Kevin Kolb come to mind

Aaron Rodgers is a guy who was once supposed to be the #1 pick in the draft over Alex Smith. That was inbetween the college season and the draft. Somewhere along the line ( combine, pro days, wonderlac, interviews, tape review etc.) the 49ers decided that Smith was their guy. This is after Rodgers was initially the #1 pick in mock drafts. He starts sliding down the draftboard and is the talk of the draft until Green Bay picks.

Green Bay admits that they didn't do as much homework on Rodgers, because they never expected him to slip 20 spots or so and Favre wasn't getting any younger. He hasn't impressed them at all thus far, and got in the game last year only to get knocked right out. There were reports that he's #3 on the depth chart this year.

Jay Cutler has a rocket arm, but then again so did Patrick Ramsey, Kyle Bollier and a ton of other guys that were drafted in the 1st round. If you go back and watch the Broncos/Cardinals game, there was a throw he had that must have been about 65 yards in the air to I believe Rod Smith. This wasn't a hail mary or anything, I believe it was the 1st quarter. Imagine that though, the defense literally has to defend the whole field, because this guy can just chuck it anywhere. Those 65 yard tosses are nice, but how often are they? The most important thing is decision making, and I see Manning, Smith, and Leinart clearly ahead of him at this point.

Vince Young is different than the other guys. I can't stand that shit flinging side arm delivery he has. He also still runs option in the NFL which I really am not a big fan of. I have to give Norm Chao credit with some of those option keepers he ran last year though. In the shotgun 3 wide formation, Vince has the opportunity to either run the option ( running play) with Travis Henery, or in the same set he can cut the field in half and throw to the side with 2 WR. I give credit to chao for simplifying the game plan for the young athletic quarterback to use his strengths...

however, I wasn't impressed at all with him as a passer and decision maker, and I don't see the option working long term for a pro quarterback who doesn't want to get injured. The guy is an amazing athelete, but he did not deserve rookie of the year at all.

I certainly see Brady Quinn as a better draft selection than Jemarcus Russell and I did do a write up as to why.

There is also a QB rating system that likes Dolphins rookie John Beck.

Out of the young guys, I see Manning, Smith and Leinart as the ones having the most potential.

I agree with your thoughts on Eli. People come down on him and almost want him to be Peyton. That will never happen, but he has lots of upside. Growing up with Archie and Peyton doesn't make him Peyton, but it does give him alot. He can read the defenses and has good vision of the field. His arm strength is not the best in the league, but its better than most, and he's good in the pocket. He's got great mechanics, drops back quickly and sets himself, and has a quick release. All that comes from where he came from and how he was taught as a young Manning.

Last year, the Giants were completely tearing shit up the first half of the season. They had the toughest schedule in the league through the first 8 games and they still went 6-2 through it. Nobody could have expected them to continue that way once Toomer, Petitgout, Osi, and Strahan all got injured. All those injuries were huge and played a big part in the downfall.

Don't get me wrong, Eli has lots of work to do, specially without Tiki this season, but things may work out for him and the G-Men. That team has the ability to finish first... or last.. haha.

eli has no confidence whatsoever. i am yet to see him look a reporter eye to eye during an interview.

his balls better descend soon for giants fans.

and where is sexy rexy on the list?

So Eli isn't a good quarterback because he isn't great in interview sessions? He isn't marketable enough for you?

How is Mike Vick in interviews? The guy can't even speak english, and he talks in the 3rd person. After the dogfighting allegations he said " People will always love Mike Vick for being Mike Vick". Errrr ok. Wait, he's fast and good in video games so he must be the best.

Eli has thrown 48TD passes in the past 2 years! You can't name 5 other quarterbacks that have done that as well. Consider these were his first 2 years as a starter, and his team DID go to the playoffs both years. He won the division the first year ( they were picked to finish last in the East), and they were the 3rd playoff team in their divisin last year plus they had the most difficult schedule). Over half their games were against playoff teams! Sure, even the biggest optimists wouldn't expect him to be like his brother... then again few are even close to as good as peyton is.

If Eli's wasn't a Manning, and wasn't the #1 pick, then people wouldn't hate the guy so much.

Look, he wasn't running some boring " game managers" offense last year. The guy often ran no huddle, he called lots of audibles and generally knew what was going on. When Toomer and Moss were out, Shockey had a bad toe and was hurt. Eli basically had 2 options downfield to throw to... Plax and a less than 100 percent shockey.

Now if he has Plax, Shock, and 2/3 other guys come through... ( toomer, steve smith, and Sinorce Moss), he should be better off and have more options downfield. It is a lot harder to cover 4 guys instead of 1.5.

Jacobs can catch too, and having about 70 pounds on Barber, should be a better blocker as well.

Tiki had about 1650 yars last year, I wouldn't be suprised to see Jacobs get in the 1200 range, and Eli pick up some of the slack with an extra 300 passing yards or so to make up the difference. The yardage could be the same, but the Giants defense could get better and the same offensive yardage could equal more wins for the giants.

Brandon Jacobs had a higher DVOA than Barber last year, and the Giants didn't really lose anything when he came in for Tiki. He is a bigger back who is a better goalline threat ( had more touchdowns than tiki), he even played some on 3rd downs over the much quicker barber. Jacobs was one of the best backup RBs in the league last year, and RB is becoming more accepted as a "fungible" position.

The other top backup RB's I'd have to say are Ladell Betts for Portis, and Michael Turner for Ladanian Tomlinson. Jacobs is just a huge human being who has a mean streak... something you like to see from a huge starting running back.

no, he isnt a great quarterback because he is not confident. i was only adding on to my confidence issue with him by giving that as an example. IMO if you cant look someone in the eye when they are talking to you how can you be seen as a leader?

i am yet to c eli lead. am i wrong.

The thing with Jacobs being a big bruising back is that he risks injury. I mean damn.. the guy goes head on against three defensive lineman. As long as he stays healthy, then I agree with the 1200 yards, but because of his style of running, I wouldn't be surprised to see the committee approach using droughns trying to keep both of them fresh on the field.

brewer... I don't buy the lack of confidence or leadership because he can't look at reporters in the eye thing, I thought of Tim Duncan immediately when I read that.. Duncan never.. and I mean NEVER looks at reporters in the eye... he always looks down and has a timid, unconfident look.... but that boy can play.. and he's a helluva leader.

yea... I know he does... he's just the first that came to mind cause he's one I always see looking down during half time interviews...

the thing is, you gotta realize that they have to think about what they are saying too... not just look at the reporter all the time...

I really don't know what you mean by saying he can't look them in the eye..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AY1v6hUFus8

getting back to business...

I agree with four of your top 5, but I would probably throw Bulger ahead of McNabb. Mainly because of his risk of injury. I mean.. he hasn't played more than ten games in three of the last five seasons. McNabb is great and can even up to par with Manning IF he's healthy, but that's a big IF. The Eagles looks scary and deadly when he gets hot, but heaven knows if he makes it the whole year... that makes a big difference... specially know that he's coming off an ACL and getting older.

Blitz...Gold..

Gold you have pretty much said Bulger is a system QB..I agree on that thought totally.

What would you think of him being here in Detroit next year. The specualtion has already begun here of course with the Martz ties. Seeing we are actually paying 16 WR's(lmao) this year it may not be prudent to sign more offense but then again...

Here is a outsider's perspective....

With training camps approaching, Scouts Inc. ranks the NFL teams 1-32 at nine positions. Today's position: quarterback.

ind.gif
1. Indianapolis Colts
Peyton Manning continues to play at a level that most QBs can only dream about. He is a master at reading defenses, getting in and out of plays and is so well prepared, he can even adjust the blocking assignments up front before the snap. He makes better presnap decisions than any QB in the history of this league and his career completion rate is 64 percent. He has even improved his one weakness, mobility, over the past two years, and now does a good job of moving around and avoiding sacks. Backup Jim Sorgi has limited arm strength and lacks Manning's presnap creativity, but he's played pretty well in some mop-up situations and has an excellent feel for the Colts' offense. Veteran John Navarre is big and strong and will occupy the No. 3 spot, but with Manning being the most durable QB in the NFL, the Indianapolis backups don't get a lot of work.
nwe.gif
2. New England Patriots
There is no better QB at accomplishing more with less than Tom Brady. In 2006, with a mediocre receiving corps, he threw 24 TD passes to 11 different receivers. He is the consummate leader and combines outstanding toughness with great physical skills. He has a better feel for pressure than any other QB in the league and has an uncanny ability to move around the pocket, beat the blitz and find the matchup he wants. With a better group of receivers in 2007, Brady should put up huge numbers. Backup Matt Cassel is a young guy with a lot of Brady-like qualities and the coaches have a lot of faith in him. Still, he hasn't started a game since high school, which is not a major concern as long as Brady continues to be Mr. Durable.
nor.gif
3. New Orleans Saints
In a short amount of time, Drew Brees has become the face of this organization and a favorite son to a city that needs a diversion. He may have the best touch and accuracy of any QB in the league and does a great job of spreading the ball around to all of his receivers. He does not have great arm strength, but he doesn't need it because the Saints' offense puts the emphasis on underneath routes. He is the unquestioned leader and has a calming presence that seems to filter through the entire team. Backup Jamie Martin has the confidence of his coaches, but he's probably not a long-term answer if he had to replace Brees. Still, he does know the system and could step in for a short run. Rookie Tyler Palko has the inside track for the No. 3 job, but this is clearly Brees' team.
cin.gif
4. Cincinnati Bengals
Carson Palmer rebounded from a devastating knee injury in 2005 to play all 16 games last season, throwing for 4,035 yards with a 62.3 completion percentage. He is big, strong, has a great arm and can be lethal running the no-huddle offense. He has worked hard this offseason to improve his mobility -- he was sacked 36 times last season -- and passing on rollouts. He did not play great at the end of the 2006 season and seemed to force the ball at times, but his weaknesses are fixable and he is poised to have a great year. Following Anthony Wright's signing with the Giants, the backup role goes to veteran Doug Johnson, who has a good feel for the offense and good overall skills. Rookie Jeff Rowe will fill the No. 3 spot and will be brought along slowly.
phi.gif
5. Philadelphia Eagles
Donovan McNabb is the heart and soul of this team, but now 31, he has lost significant playing time due to injuries over the past several seasons and durability is a big question. Still, he's big-play guy capable of putting up huge numbers in the Eagles' pass-oriented offense and his arm strength, accuracy, mobility and leadership remain top-notch. The No. 2 spot starts with A.J. Feeley, who has shown glimpses of promise in stops at Miami and San Diego and knows this system, but he may have to battle Kelly Holcomb, who was obtained in an offseason trade from Buffalo. Holcomb has average skills, but he's tough and competitive. Rookie Kevin Kolb, Philadelphia's top draft pick, will be brought along slowly as the QB of the future.
sdg.gif
6. San Diego Chargers
Young Philip Rivers exceeded everyone's expectations a year ago with his poise and maturity and now the Chargers are ready for him to take the next step. He has excellent physical skills and fits perfectly into the Chargers' offense, which requires a lot of timing routes, quick decisions and tight throws. He is a student of the game, prepares well and will only get better. His backup is ex-Titan Billy Volek, who could start for a lot of NFL teams. He has good skills and intangibles and could step up immediately if Rivers was hurt. Charlie Whitehurst will be the No. 3 QB. He's young, has a strong arm and is an excellent prospect.
stl.gif
7. St. Louis Rams
Marc Bulger adjusted well to new coach Scott Linehan's low-risk, conservative offense in 2006 and probably played the best football of his career, earning his second trip to the Pro Bowl in the process. His physical skills are solid, but where he has shown marked improvement is his ability to read defenses, change plays at the line of scrimmage, and make accurate and safe throws. Right now, he is at the top of his game, and in this offense, he will only get better. Backup Gus Frerotte, who has played for Linehan in Minnesota and Miami, has a great grasp of this offense. He may have a stronger arm than Bulger, but he lacks Bulger's consistency. Young Ryan Fitzpatrick from Harvard is an excellent developmental project and is in the perfect spot in St. Louis as the No. 3 QB.
bal.gif
8. Baltimore Ravens
Although his skills may be starting to erode, Steve McNair can still play at a fairly high level. He brought toughness and leadership to the Ravens in 2006 and still makes all the throws necessary to win. He reads defenses well and is excellent in the short-range and midrange passing game. While he doesn't scramble like he used to, he has excellent patience in the pocket and will risk taking a hit to hold on to the ball a little longer to allow his receivers to separate from coverage. Former first-round pick Kyle Boller is the backup and actually played pretty well a year ago, replacing the injured McNair in a couple of games, but whether he can carry this team as a starter when McNair is done is still a question mark. The No. 3 job will be an interesting battle between rookie Troy Smith from Ohio State, and young Drew Olson from UCLA. Both are talented guys, but one will wind up on the practice squad.
sea.gif
9. Seattle Seahawks
QB Matt Hasselbeck had a little bit of an off year in 2006 because of injuries and some inconsistency, but he still is capable of taking over a game and carrying the Seattle offense. He has excellent arm strength and touch, along with great pocket presence and good leadership skills. When he's pressured, however, he tends to force the ball into coverage, but it's a flaw that he's working to correct. His backup is Seneca Wallace, who really surprised a lot of people in his four starts last season when Hasselbeck was out. Wallace has a huge arm, big-time running skills and can create a lot of big plays, but he lacks consistency and doesn't manage the game as well as Hasselbeck. David Greene is in his third year, but he's still a developmental project and is not close to being ready to get on the field right now in Mike Holmgren's complex offense.
pit.gif
10. Pittsburgh Steelers
Ben Roethlisberger suffered through a tough 2006 because of offseason injuries. He was inconsistent and looked nothing like the QB who led the Steelers to a Super Bowl win in the 2005 season. In 2006, he threw a league-high 23 interceptions. He often looked confused reading defenses, which led him to hold on to the ball too long and take 46 sacks. Big Ben has worked hard in the offseason to rebuild his confidence and improve his mechanics. The talent is still there, and new QB coach Ken Anderson will work hard to get him back to that championship level. Charlie Batch is excellent in the backup role and can easily step in as a starter and play at a high level for a short time. Brian St. Pierre is the No. 3 guy and has decent developmental qualities

jac.gif
11. Jacksonville Jaguars
Although Byron Leftwich will go into training camp as the 2007 starter, things are far from settled at the QB position for the Jaguars. Leftwich is in the final year of his contract and there is a lot of speculation that the organization won't re-sign him. It wouldn't be surprising to see Daunte Culpepper running this offense in 2008. For now, the backup is David Garrard, who has significant starting experience but has not played with enough consistency to be the starter. Leftwich needs to speed up his delivery and improve his ability to create plays, but he has a strong arm and good intangibles. Quinn Gray is the No. 3 QB, but that could change if Culpepper joins the Jaguars.
nyj.gif
12. New York Jets
You have to admire Chad Pennington's perseverance. He came back with a throwing shoulder that has been surgically repaired twice and still played all 16 games in 2006. He is a cerebral QB with superior leadership qualities. He has an excellent touch and is a master at reading defenses and making plays in the short passing game. However, his lack of arm strength can tend to hinder his effectiveness. Defenders jump his routes and his accuracy has to be nearly perfect because it takes so long for the ball to get there. Backup Kellen Clemens is the QB of the future. He has better physical skills and arm strength, but he's not quite ready to take over. Ex-Raider Marques Tuiasosopo will fill the No. 3 role and has solid NFL experience. Even if Pennington struggles in 2007, it is unlikely Eric Mangini would make a midseason change.
ari.gif
13. Arizona Cardinals
This is now Matt Leinart's team and big things are expected from him in 2007. He replaced Kurt Warner as the starter in Game 5 in 2006 and wound up throwing for over 2,500 yards. His poise, accuracy and feel for the offense was outstanding for such a young player, especially considering the Cardinals changed offensive coordinators during the season. He can make all the throws and spent the offseason working on his footwork, mechanics and strength. Warner is a perfect backup and seems to be willing to accept that role. With his knowledge of defenses, his preparation and attention to detail, he is the perfect mentor for Leinart. Plus, he can still play effectively in a short-term starting role if needed. Shane Boyd will be the No. 3 QB, but the Cardinals would probably like to upgrade that spot.
dal.gif
14. Dallas Cowboys
Tony Romo had a storybook season in 2006, going 5-1 in his first six starts and giving the Cowboys great production at the position. But he struggled down the stretch, throwing too many interceptions and fumbling too many times while the Cowboys finished 1-4 in his final five games. The coaches are hoping that the Romo they saw early in the season is the one they get in 2007. He has excellent physical skills as a passer and his mobility allows him to make plays with his feet. However, he must do a better job of playing under control, being patient and not turning the ball over. Aging Brad Johnson will be the backup and mentor to Romo. Although his physical skills are limited, he still knows how to read a defense and get the ball to the right place. Young Matt Baker will be the No. 3 QB, and although he has good developmental skills, he's a long way from the field.
gnb.gif
15. Green Bay Packers
Brett Favre comes back for his 16th season as the Packers' QB and is hoping to have better results than he did a year ago. A combination of receivers' dropping passes and Favre's forcing the ball into coverage led to a lot of interceptions and bad plays last season. Also, playing from behind much of the time forced Favre to take chances, and that got him in trouble a lot. He still has great arm strength and his leadership and toughness are off the charts. Despite his flaws, he can still play at a very high level. Backup Aaron Rodgers was a first-round draft pick two years ago, but he hasn't shown enough for the Packers to feel comfortable about making him the heir apparent to Favre. Ingle Martin owns the No. 3 job. He's young and raw but has some developmental qualities.
nyg.gif
16. New York Giants
This is a huge year for Eli Manning. It's time for him to step up and play at a level of consistency the Giants expected when they drafted him. At times he looks like a Pro Bowl QB, but at other times he will look like a mistake-prone rookie. He has all the physical skills, but he must improve his accuracy, especially on the deep ball, and his overall mechanics have to get better. The Giants signed veteran Anthony Wright from Cincinnati in free agency. He has 19 NFL starts on his résumé, along with a strong arm and good athleticism. The No. 3 job will be between Tim Hasselbeck and Jared Lorenzen. Both are young guys with some skills, but not future starter potential.
car.gif
17. Carolina Panthers
The biggest challenge for the Panthers is to get Jake Delhomme back on track and improve his consistency and decision making. He can either be great or mediocre, and that's not good enough for this team. As an insurance policy, the Panthers brought in ex-Houston Texan David Carr. Carr has better physical skills than Delhomme, but lacks his fiery leadership, and has never really won as an NFL starter. Publicly, the Panthers say that this is still Delhomme's team, but Carr is closer to taking over than most people realize. Brett Basanez will be the No. 3 guy, but will probably never climb any higher on the depth chart.
atl.gif
18. Atlanta Falcons
The Falcons once boasted one of the deepest collections of QBs in the the NFL, with hugely talented Michael Vick as the starter and the best backup in the league in Matt Schaub. Not any more. Schaub is now the starting QB in Houston and Vick has some huge off-field issues that could affect his future availability. As talented as he is, Vick is still widely inconsistent and you just don't see the progress expected for a guy entering his seventh season. New coach Bobby Petrino has a great reputation of developing QBs. Two things he's working on with Vick is having him throw more deep passes, which Vick is capable of doing well, and coaching him on calling audibles and reading defenses. Make no mistake about it -- this is a make-or-break season for Vick. The backup will be Joey Harrington, who teases you with good skills, but has never taken over a team when given the chance. The No. 3 QB will be young D.J. Shockley. He's a Vick clone, but still needs a lot of development.
buf.gif
19. Buffalo Bills
J.P. Losman showed marked improvement in 2006 as the starting QB and is poised to have an excellent 2007 season. His preparation and maturity have dramatically improved and he makes fewer negative plays than he did in the past. He has good physical skills, a strong arm and can scramble out of trouble. While he needs to improve his recognition in reading defenses and spreading the ball around, he now has the confidence of his teammates and coaches that he is the guy. That was missing earlier in his career. Craig Nall is a decent No. 2 QB with a big arm that suits the Bills' vertical passing attack. Trent Edwards, a third-round draft pick from Stanford, is an exciting young guy with a lot of developmental skills, but will be brought along slowly.
den.gif
20. Denver Broncos
Denver is now in the Jay Cutler era, and based on his five starts in 2006, the Broncos have a lot of good things on the horizon at the QB position. He has John Elway-type skills with a big arm, a lot of confidence and an uncanny ability to handle pressure. He still has to learn to be a little more patient, to take what the defense gives him and not go for it all on every play, but that will come in time. The Broncos made an excellent offseason move when they signed Patrick Ramsey. He not only has solid athletic skills and a strong arm, but he also has 24 NFL starts under his belt and is an excellent No. 2 QB. There isn't really a clear-cut No. 3 QB, but with Cutler and Ramsey, the Broncos are in good shape.
chi.gif
21. Chicago Bears
Rex Grossman enters the final year of his contract with a lot of questions about whether he is the future of this franchise. He can look great at times, picking apart defenses with accuracy and making some great deep throws (especially the seam route) as evidenced by his 23 TD passes in 2006. However, he can look like a totally different player when pressured. He'll make horrible decisions and use poor mechanics, as evidenced by his 20 interceptions last season. He must take better care of the football and play better under pressure if he wants to keep his job. Backup Brian Griese has a lot of starting experience, knows the offense and takes care of the football. He could easily take over the starting job. Young Kyle Orton has starting experience and excellent physical skills. He is probably better than a No. 3 QB, but for now he's stuck in Chicago.

22. Detroit Lions
Although his skills may be in decline, Jon Kitna can still put up big numbers in this QB-friendly offense, and offensive coordinator Mike Martz still believes in him. Kitna has excellent composure and leadership skills, is a student of the game and his preparation, including his attention to detail, is outstanding. A lot of his bad throws in 2006 were the result of his receivers' not being in the right place, but another offseason should help everybody get on the same page. His backup is untested Dan Orlovsky, who has a strong arm, but has not yet shown that he can run this complicated offense. Rookie second-round draft pick Drew Stanton may be the future, but it will take him a couple of years to get ready, so the Lions need to keep Kitna healthy and upright in 2007.
tam.gif
23. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Playing QB for Jon Gruden can be a real challenge, and while the Bucs enter the 2007 season with talent, there is also some instability at the position. There will likely be a spirited training camp battle between newly acquired veteran Jeff Garcia and the oft-injured Chris Simms. Although Simms could be the future for Tampa Bay, Gruden loves veterans and Garcia knows how to run this offense to perfection. Simms has a bigger arm, but right now he lacks the savvy of Garcia. Still, they form an excellent one-two punch and will push each other. The No. 3 QB will likely be Bruce Gradkowski, who started 11 games last season filling in for Simms, but he will have a tough training camp battle with Luke McCown to keep his job.
oak.gif
24. Oakland Raiders
The complexion of the QB position in Oakland dramatically changed on draft weekend. The Raiders not only selected JaMarcus Russell first in the draft, but also obtained veteran Josh McCown from Detroit. As talented as Russell is, he is new and has a lot to learn. It is likely McCown will be the starter in 2007 until Russell is ready, which could be at any point during the season. McCown is smart, efficient and won't make a lot of mistakes, but Russell's physical skills and arm strength are so superior, he could be brought along quicker than expected. Andrew Walter started several games in 2006 with marginal results, but he does have great experience for a No. 3 QB.
hou.gif
25. Houston Texans
David Carr is gone and ex-Atlanta backup Matt Schaub is now the face of the franchise. Schaub is a guy that coach Gary Kubiak has a lot of faith in, and in limited playing time in Atlanta, he really flashed exciting physical skills. He has a big arm, is smart and has excellent intangibles and leadership skills. All he needs now is playing time, and his chance for success is very high. Sage Rosenfels will be the backup. While he lacks Schaub's arm strength, he is very accurate, calm under pressure and a solid No. 2 guy. The No. 3 job will likely go to Bradlee Van Pelt, who played for Kubiak in Denver.
ten.gif
26. Tennessee Titans
Vince Young played better than expected in his rookie season, but while he shows flashes of greatness, he is still far from a finished product. After a solid offseason, his accuracy and overall mechanics should dramatically improve. His decision making got better the more he played in 2006, but he still needs a lot of work reading defenses. Young has big-play capabilities and can turn a game around with his arm or his feet. He will likely be a feast-or-famine QB his entire career, but hopefully the big plays outnumber the bad ones. Kerry Collins did a nice job as a backup and mentor to Young last season, but he is no longer a viable starter. If the Titans keep three QBs (they kept only two in 2006), the third will be veteran Tim Rattay, a quality backup.
sfo.gif
27. San Francisco 49ers
Although he is playing with his third offensive coordinator in three years, Alex Smith seems to have a good grasp on the 49ers' offense and has shown marked improvement in his short NFL career. He is a student of the game with terrific physical skills. He is really starting to manage the game better and can make every throw necessary. His backup is veteran Trent Dilfer, who is like another coach, and Smith could not have a better mentor. Dilfer still has a strong arm and is such a leader that he could carry this offense for a while if Smith was injured. The No. 3 QB is Shaun Hill, a guy with a strong arm, but not a lot of consistency or developmental skills. This is Alex Smith's team and he should have a breakout year in 2007.
mia.gif
28. Miami Dolphins
After a very tumultuous offseason, things are starting to settle down at the QB position for the Dolphins. Culpepper is out as the starter, replaced by Trent Green, who should do a great job in the Miami offensive system. Green makes great decisions and has the efficiency that new head coach Cam Cameron requires. Cleo Lemon and second-round draft pick John Beck will likely fill the Nos. 2 and 3 roles, respectively. Lemon has good overall skills, but must learn to manage the game a little better. Beck, meanwhile, has a great background in the passing game coming from BYU and could be the future for the Dolphins, but he does not have great arm strength. Green will run this offense well while the young guys come along slowly.
cle.gif
29. Cleveland Browns
In 2006 the Browns gave both Charlie Frye and Derek Anderson a chance to take over this team, and neither responded to the challenge successfully. Now there's a new era at QB with rookie Brady Quinn, who has a legitimate chance to start as a rookie after gaining maturity and confidence under Charley Weis at Notre Dame. Even with his lack of NFL experience, Quinn will likely make fewer mistakes and manage the offense well, which Frye failed to do last season. If Quinn starts, Frye and Anderson will battle for the Nos. 2 and 3 spots. Both are still young with a lot of developmental qualities, and that makes this a potentially very deep, albeit young, position.
was.gif
30. Washington Redskins
With a full offseason as the starter, young Jason Campbell is expected to show vast improvement in 2007 and take over this team. He has excellent overall skills, a strong arm and a potentially outstanding deep ball, but he makes bad decisions at times and throws into coverage. The hope is that another year in the offensive system will help his recognition. The coaches will also utilize a run-oriented offense to take the pressure off. Veteran Mark Brunell restructured his contract to stay as Campbell's mentor and backup. Even though his skills and arm strength are diminishing, he still knows this offense and his leadership and poise could be invaluable if Campbell falters and he was forced to play. The No. 3 QB will be Todd Collins. He has a great grasp of this offense and he's probably better than a lot of No. 2 QBs in this league.
min.gif
31. Minnesota Vikings
Tarvaris Jackson was hand-picked by coach Brad Childress to win this job in 2007, but in only his second season, he has a long way to go. All the physical skills are there, but his ability to read sophisticated defenses and make smart and accurate throws is something he's still working on. Brooks Bollinger will likely be the backup, and while he knows Childress' offense well, his arm strength and physical skills are not overly exciting. He is not really a guy you want starting if Jackson falters. Drew Henson will get a long look in training camp and the well-travelled veteran could be an interesting guy in the mix if he shows any skills. He could compete with Bollinger for the No. 2 job. This is not a real stable position for a veteran team and Childress is under a lot of pressure to quickly develop Jackson.
kan.gif
32. Kansas City Chiefs
With Trent Green now in Miami, it's time for the Damon Huard era in Kansas City. Filling in for Green a year ago, Huard posted a 5-3 record and looked like a competent guy who could run this offense effectively. Brodie Croyle is probably the future for the Chiefs and has better skills than Huard. While he's probably a year away from being ready, this could turn out to be a more intense training camp battle than most realize. The Chiefs will have to decide whether they can live with Croyle's growing pains or if they'll go with a less talented, but more consistent guy in Huard. Former CFL QB Casey Printers has a ton of skills, but little NFL experience. Still, he's a quality No. 3 QB.

I like Bulger a lot and really think he will break out this year....He is pretty close to an extension in STL isnt he?

Also, I think Grossman will have a big year this year and it will be the defense that hurts this team....

The list seems pretty similar to what I had, they put Palmer 1 up on Mcnabb, they had Bulger at 7, Tavaras Jackson at the bottom etc.

I however see 2 huge errors.
1) Byron Leftwhich is NOT the 11th best QB in the league.
2) Alex Smith is NOT the 27th best QB in the league.

You could almost flip Alex and Byron and make it work ( but then Alex would be too high). Byron leftwhich came back healthy last year and couldn't start over the mobile David Garrard! The guy is always hurt and finished the season as a backup while healthy. He runs this ultra conservative game manager, no think kind of offense and he isn't even good at that. How they put him ahead of Delhomme, Favre, Manning, Smith, Gaycia, Kitna amazes me.

I'm no Damon Huard fan, but how is he rated the worst? The guy had one of the top QB ratings in the league last year?

The top 10 looks alright, but then should come the Eli's, Leinarts, ASmiths, Favres, Delhommes, Gaycias, Kitnas.

Trent Green is rated too low, but then again he is coming back from injury. If they get Green from 2-5 years ago though ( 4000 yards passing), then he's right there at 6.

I just don't see how Byron could be a backup QB, but is rated 11th best over some decent names. Does anybody think Jared Lorenzon should start over Eli?

Brewer- I believe I did a long writeup on Grossman before the Bears/Saints NFC championship game which I correctly predicted, if you want to look it up. Grossman is highly misunderstood by the media who looks for easy labels and easy answers. The who "good rex bad rex" material is a joke.

I actually see more than just two errors...

I agree about Leftwich... get him the hell out of the top 15... and also agree that Alex Smith is better than almost the 30th ranked... but I see more than just those two mistakes....

for one, get McNair out of the top 10... in his 12 yrs as a pro, he's only had 3 seasons where he threw over 20 tds... and none over 24... that's a feat that someone in the likes of say Eli Manning has done in both of his years as a full time starter... then to top things off, the three seasons he did have over 20 were not any of the recent years either. I mean, when you have what is arguably the best defense in the league helping you, and all you can do is produce 16 tds and 12 ints, then forget the top 10. The defense bailed him out of alot of games. In the opener last year, Baltimore scored 27 pts against TB and McNair only threw one td.. then the next week, they scored 28 pts against Oakland and again.. only one td passing for McNair... the list goes on... 26 pts against Cincinnati, 24 pts against Atlanta, 27 pts against Pittsburgh, and 19 pts against Buffalo... all were victories.. and yet.. he only threw ONE td in all those games... a 20 yarder against PIT... that's it..... He's also injury prone big time. He has played a full season maybe 5 or 6 times at the most in those 12 yrs... and Baltimores' offensive line is not going to be too great this season... I think we can start looking at an over/under as to what week he makes it up to this season.... I wouldn't put him top 10 at all.

I also found a bit funny they mention Eli needs to get better in his mechanics... specially since I had just commented how his mechanics are very good... lol... there is actually alot of faults you can find in Eli, but his mechanics is not one of them... you can say he lacks consistency.. sometimes he has no composure and he throws the ball in the flats to a wide open tight end or receiver and misses them by about 3 yards and makes it seem like he was aiming at their feet.... His deep ball needs to improve... many times he throws to Plaxi or Toomer when they are in great pace to catch a long one on the run and take it in stride to the endzone, but it gets way overthrown... other times, the receiver has a 5 to 10 yard lead on the defender and he has to slow down to catch an underthrown Eli pass, which ruins what should be a score... like I said.. there is lots more you can find wrong with him, but his mechanics are fine..

Now that we are talking Eli and Giants.. haha.. let me also add that I don't think Coughlin is the answer there. I know Gold won't agree with me much on that, but I don't see him as a good enough coach to send that team deep into the playoffs. Alot of people talk about how he is a disciplinarian and blah, blah, blah... but that doesn't mean shit. He doesn't know how to utilize the talent on the team. You look at a great coach, like Belichek... that guy can coach. If he loses Bruschi or Harrison, he adjusts and moves people around and then makes a gameplan to work with what he's got. He analyzes his opposition for that weak and attacks the weaknesses with the strength of the talent he does have... hell, I bet you he could lose Brady and he could still work a gameplan around to be very competitive and even win... Couglin loses some players and he just prepares to use that as an excuse when the loss comes.... anyway... I'm blabbing too much Giants again.. lol...

I agree that Bulger can be huge this season... again.. as long as he stays healthy. I believe last season was the only season he played in every game.. and St. Louis is horrible as pass protection.. they give up a shitload of sacks... but he's taken em' well... and he should produce big time in tds... they went down statistically since Martz left in the passing stats overall, but they lead the league last year with 52 pass attempts inside the 10 yard line... the year before, with Martz, they only had 16 attempts inside the ten... that's why Bulger had the best year of his career when it came to tds (24), plus.. like I said.. it was also his only year he played every game... but things should keep in pace again and I would not be surprised to see him go over 30 tds this season.... another reason why I think I give him an edge over McNabb... McNabb could be huge if he stays healthy, but the odds of him staying healthy all season are not as good as Bulgers'... at least I don't think so...

I see some other things I disagree with in that list as well... but it looks pretty good overall.

Carson Palmer has the best arm I have ever seen hands down. You can say Manning is better but I would'nt. Have not seen such a pretty ball since a young Drew Bledsoe. Palmer can make any throw on the field with perfect accuracy. His struggles last year were due to a beat up O-line and with the loss of Stienbach this year I see him getting hammered. Willie Anderson is old, who is gonna play Center? Bengals 5-11 last place team, worst D in the NFL. Marvin Lewis finally gets fired.

So who are the best backups? Last year you had to be impressed with Jeff Gaycia nearly taking his team to the conference championship game ( and not missing a beat with Mcnabb out), and Damon Huard was about as efficient as he could be.

Top Backup QBs in no particular order
AJ Feeley
Mark Brunell
Gus Frerotte
Kyle Bollier
David Garrard
Tim Rattay
Chris Simms/Gradkowski
Kurt Warner

- Feeley didn't look bad at the end of last year. Maybe he could start for a few bottom barrel teams right now.
-Kelly Holcomb didn't work out as a starter, but he is a solid vet that can come in and play mop up for a few games.
-Brunell, I still believe he wasn't 100 percent healthy, and Jason Campbell wasn't any better. I wouldn't be shocked to see him get his job back at some point next year.
- Gus Frerotte, he wasn't very good, but then again neither was his team. He is a journeyman who can fill in for a couple games.
- Kyle Bollier, I believe he might have a shot at becoming a starter, I am higher on him than most people. He got a chance to play early, with a bad offense ( that nobody has been very good with), and with ultra conservative play calling. I see him with similar talents to Cutler, but Cutler is with a better offense in Denver right now. I wouldn't be shocked if the kid learned from his mistakes and he can progress ( however most people think he is a lost cause).
-David Garrard, I don't respect Byron Leftwhich at all. I think he is given the role of "game manager", because thats all he can do ( and he isn't even very good at that). If all he is going to do is throw jump balls, and screen passes, then you might as well use the more mobile Garrard. I am not a big mobility guy, but if your going to run a dummy offense, then you don't need a braniac quarterback, there is no reason to have that often injured punching bag Leftwhich in there. I wouldn't be shocked to see Garrard finish the Jags quarterback for a third straight year.
- Tim Rattay is the guy the Patriots were going to select if they didn't take Brady. He has shown flashes but hasn't been able to stay healthy. If the rat could stay healthy for a full season, he is better than some starters in the league. Almost reminds you of a Chris Chandler in that aspect.
- Simms/Gradkowski. I never like Chris Simms in college, but he showed me some toughness 2 years ago when he got to play. Gradkowski is a laughing stock, but you have to remember he was a rookie. He didn't play THAT bad for being a rookie, with a terrible line. If he can cut back on some of those mistakes, he reminds me a lot of a Jeff Garcia.
-Kurt Warner, too many fumbles, holds onto the ball too long, but if he gets enough time, he can still pass for yards. I don't think he can be a full time starter anymore, but I'd rather have this former MVP veteran fill in for a few games than some of these young kids.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Garrard or Brunell get playing time, and I see Bollier and the tampa kids as having the most longer term potential. If Rattay could stay healthy, I would mention him, but I don't think that is likely.

By the way, what ever happened to Billy Volek?

You guys can fault Eli somewhat..

but last season, they had a plethora of injuries that Eli took the bulk of the blame for when they started skidding.. not even peyton could've done well with all the injuries the giants had; then not to mention everyone else on the team talking about each other to the media; Peyton would've been able to do a better job of unyifying the team, but still, Eli did get them to the playoffs..

I really think this year the Giants will be a top 5 offense.. They are talented all around; Brandon Jacobs, Ruben Droughns, and Ahmad Bradshaw (rookie from marshall who's really impressing) at the RB.

Jeremy Shockey, a top 5 TE, along with rookie Kevin Boss from a D2 school are going to be a great tight end core.

The WR core is going to also be one of the tops in the league: Plaxico, Toomer, Steve Smith who is showing up greatly, and two great athletes in Sinorice Moss and Tim Carter..

The Giants need to solidfy there line, which is currently a work in process..

But the offense overall is going to be explosive.. if the defense can find its niche, this is going to be one of the best underrated teams this year..

Giants might start winning if they start Jared Lorenzen instead of Eli, and I'm not even close to kidding when I say that

Hile, what is your basis for that Jared Lorenzen comment? What kind of line do you think he would have?

Would Lorenzen throw for 3500 yards, complete 60%, throw 30 TD and 10 INTs? Tell me how good fat boy is, and how bad Eli is?

Husky, you sound like an optiminstic Giants fan. Tim Carter was traded for Droughns.

I think the Giants can certainly have a top 5 offense. A QB like Manning allows them to run a true offense ( as opposed to the more conservative game manager type stuff). 2 years ago the Giants were the #1 scoring team in the league for much of the year. A lot of that is a holistic thing though. They also created turnovers that year, and had a good return game.

so here we are comparing qbs stats moreso than we are comparing their winning %? cuz i like big ben, rexy, and rivers to be in this discussion more.

Ahh, right.. Tyree musta been who i was reading about; he was in the pro bowl for special teams..

but yea, i am optimistic, because i see the upside they have.. if they can control the run game on D, they will be a dangerous team because the O can score at any point.

What's with all the attention on Lorenzen in this thread??...

the guy will be fighting for the third quarterback spot and if he's lucky, won't get cut... and I'm not even close to kidding either.

What's with all the attention on Lorenzen in this thread??...

the guy will be fighting for the third quarterback spot and if he's lucky, won't get cut... and I'm not even close to kidding either.

LOL-You would think Rex was in here campaigning for his boy Hefty Lefty:36_11_6:

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL-You would think Rex was in here campaigning for his boy Hefty Lefty:36_11_6:

Meant to quote you, BAR... not edit... haha....

Well, fuck guys... If you say so... then fine... I say Lorenzen could play for me before Eli... but most of you know how I feel about Eli...

And most of you also know how I feel about Peyton...

I swear, if they both didn't have that "aw, shucks" sillyish/stupidity-type look to them then I'd have to think Eli was adopted.

Or maybe Peyton - cause he's doing something Archie and Eli never did ... win....

Back