Bengals vs. Bears Parlay Preview Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Sunday's Best Bets: Add This NFL Week 2 Parlay

Cincinnati Bengals vs. Chicago Bears
Sunday, September 19, 2021 at 1 p.m. ET at Soldier Field in Chicago

The Odds

Chicago opened as 5.5-point favorites for this Sunday's home game against Cincinnati.

This number was rapidly bet down. As of Monday evening, the Bears are favored by as few as 2.5 points and by as many as three.

I will recommend betting the underdog for this game. Given the direction of the line movement, I think that you should place your bet as soon as possible.

Three is a key number in NFL Betting and, while I think the Bengals outright win this game, it would be a minor shame to miss out on the +3.

The Bengals are receiving bettors' money because of the Week 1 results. I never like putting too much stock in one game, especially in the season opener.

I hope to take a broader perspective in this article in order to defend a play on the Bengals and the "under," the latter recommendation coming in spite of what happened in Week 1.

Andy Dalton Is Still Awful

There's only one real reason to like Dalton this week and it's not a good reason.

One might think that Dalton will play inspired football against his former team.

The problem with this thought is that he already got his revenge in a game that was in Cincinnati.

Last year, as a Cowboy, he quarterbacked Dallas to a 30-7 victory in front of his former supporters.

He wasn't even really good in that game as he failed to pass for 200 yards despite having an utterly loaded receiving crew.

It would be rather inaccurate to suggest that Dalton was ever good. In his career, he had one season in which he produced a 106.3 passer rating. But his second-best passer rating in a season was 91.8, which is unimpressive in today's passing era.

Week 1 of this season -- in which Dalton barely exceeded 200 yards despite attempting 38 passes and produced a 72.9 passer rating -- shows that Dalton is still awful.

In the season opener, Dalton made several mistakes that reflect his lack of quality. He missed open receivers, stared down others, and simply failed to make plays.

Dalton is arguably the biggest reason why Chicago doesn't deserve to be favored. It's hard to like a favored team that doesn't reliably score.

Bear Offense vs. Bengal Defense

It isn't just Dalton who is responsible for Chicago's offensive problems.

Recent position changes on the offensive line make it more difficult for guys on the unit to gel with each other.

Guys like James Daniels, the right guard who is occupying the third position of his four-year career, are hindered in their development by lack of continuity.

Alongside the Bear running back group, this offensive line received praised last year particularly because of David Montgomery's rushing yardage last season

But Montgomery also ranked 33rd with a meager 4.3 YPC.

Led by Montgomery, this is a woefully mediocre running back group.

It is hard to like Bear running backs against a Bengal run defense that just limited Viking superstar Dalvin Cook to 61 rushing yards on 20 carries.

The Bengals benefit from a tremendous schematic and financial investment in the defensive line during the offseason. They pumped a lot of resources into injecting both depth and versatility into the group.

Bengal Offense vs. Bear Defense

After reported concerns surrounding Joe Burrow's post-surgery comfort in the pocket, Burrow allayed those concerns in Week 1. Against the Vikings, he was 20 of 27 for 261 yards, two touchdowns, zero interceptions, and a 128.8 passer rating.

To be fair, he has a lot of advantages that Dalton doesn't. In particular, he has a deep wide receiver crew where, unlike Dalton, he doesn't have to rely too heavily on a single pass-catcher.

Burrow has the extra benefit this year from having former LSU teammate, Ja'Marr Chase to throw to again. Chase, in Week 1, caught five of seven targets for 101 yards and a touchdown.

The Bengal pass attack will thrive against a Bear secondary that misses top cornerback Kyle Fuller, who is now a Bronco.

Total Verdict

I like the Bengals because I think that their offense has a stronger advantage against the Bear defense than the Bear offense has against Cincinnati's defense.

But I also think this is a nice spot for the Bear defense after egregious mistakes helped the team allow 34 points in Week 1.

By egregious mistakes, I refer to wide open opposing touchdowns and other nonsense allowed by All-Pro linebackers like Roquan Smith.

Sustained by recent history, this unit has a lot of pride and, especially in the linebacking group, almost unparalleled proven ability.

A bounce-back effort from the Bear defense will join inept Dalton in contributing to a lower-scoring game.

For the above reasons, parlay the "under" with the Bengals ATS, led by a stacked passing attack that will exploit Chicago's Fuller-less secondary.

Best Bet: Parlay Bengals +3 at -120 & Under 45 at -110 at +250 with BetOnline

Back