BCS Bids

mwwebb81

Pretty much a regular
I would have just posted on the other thread, but didnt want everyone to have to read 1,286 other posts just to get to my response, so here goes:

Ohio State is CLEARLY the best team in the country, hands down. They are in the National Championship game. Who do they play? Well, if USC defeats UCLA, its going to be them. Is USC the 2nd best team in the country? No, or at least not in my opinion. I think that Michigan is the 2nd best team in the country, and immediately following the Ohio State/Michigan game, I was actually swayed from being completely against a rematch, to thinking it wasnt such a bad idea. OSU wins by 3 at home, I think Michigan probably wins by 3 if it is at the Big House, and on a Neutral field, who knows, but I sure would like to see that game.

All that being said, I am not in favor of a rematch. Does it suck for Michigan that they came up 3 points short, and it just so happened that the OSU game was in Columbus this season? (Because I truly believe that Home Field won that game for the Buckeyes) Sure it sucks. But you know what, thats tough shit, and thats just the way things are. And anyways, would it really be fair to Ohio State if Michigan gets over on them if there were a rematch for the title? HELL NO. That would be the same as saying that the first game, which was an absolute classic, didnt mean shit. I think that following that convincing win over ND, USC deserves its shot at Ohio State.

And no Gator fan, you dont have a place in this argument, because quite frankly, you have looked like a very soft team. You lost by double digits to Auburn, and didnt exactly look like a title contender against Vanderbilt, South Carolina, and a down Florida State team. Your win against LSU is the only victory that you could really say was a convincing win over a very good team. The only way you get a shot at this thing is if USC falters against UCLA, and you absolutely lay the wood to Arkansas, and I am talking 3 TD's or more. Aside from that, I would rather see Michigan again, because at least that would be a good game. I truly dont believe Florida could hang with Ohio State, where as we know Michigan could, and its possible that USC could.

That gives us a National Championship game of Ohio State vs. USC, and is a very watchable game.

Next up we can discuss the Fiesta Bowl. All I can say to Oklahoma and Nebraska is that you are very lucky that Texas decided to suck ass over the last couple of weeks of the season, because they ARE STILL the best team that the Big 12 could have offered up here, and anyone else is an obvious step down. Who wins the Big 12? Who gives a shit if you ask me. Boise State is going to the Fiesta Bowl, and in my opinion is going to embarrace whoever the Big 12 sends there to represent their conference.

That gives us a Fiesta Bowl game of Boise State vs. Big 12 Sucks Ass.

Now things get a little more interesting, so I guess we will go over a few scenarios. There are 6 more bids up for grabs, of which only one is a guarantee. Michigan is going to the Rose Bowl.

Now, what I expect will happen is as follows: Florida wins the SEC with a close win over Arkansas, Louisville wins the Big East when WV beats Rutgers, The ACC sends whichever undeserving team wins that lame as conference, with LSU, and Sadly, Notre Dame getting the last two (Despite the fact that we all agree they dont deserve it).

There are a few interesting twists that could occur to disrupt things.

#1, what if Arkansas beats Florida in the SEC Championship game? Well, that leaves LSU getting left out, and Florida getting an at large, because they did beat LSU, and have the same number of losses at that point. That would give us a final 6 of Michigan, Arkansas, Florida, Louisville, Pathetic ACC Team, and Notre Dame.

#2, what if Rutgers beats WV in Morgantown? Well, thats going to bring up a very interesting conversation, because then you have Rutgers getting the Automatic bid, and Louisville sitting at #6 in the BCS standings at worst hoping for an At Large bid as the 2nd Big East team. If this situation happens, and Louisville gets left out in favor of Notre Dame, it would be an absolute JOKE. That would make the final six, or at least what it should be, Michigan, Florida, LSU, Rutgers, Louisville, and Pathetic ACC Team.

#3, what happens if in the ACC Championship game.........oh wait, nevermind, the ACC SUCKS ASS. I am convinced that you could take any of the top 3 teams in the Big East, and what the hell, even Notre Dame, put them in the ACC, and they win that championship pretty easily. This is why I am not in favor of each of the 6 big conferences getting automatic bids, with no other strings attached. Is it really too much to ask to require the champion of that conference to finish in the top 12 of the BCS to warrant a BCS bid? I think not. We have two teams playing for the right to go to the BCS who have BCS rankings of 17 and 22 respectively, and that my friends, is an absolute joke.

Now, lets get back to reality, and take a look at the other three games.

Rose Bowl, Michigan is a lock. They probably wont take Notre Dame, because of the ass kicking they took at the hands of the Wolverines earlier in the season. I know I for one wouldnt even bother to turn my TV on to watch that shit. This puts LSU in the Rose Bowl as an At Large Bid.

That gives us a Rose Bowl game of Michigan vs. LSU.

Sugar Bowl, Florida gets in because they are the SEC Champion, and will play either Notre Dame as an At Large, or Louisville as the Big East Champ. Everything I am hearing has Notre Dame going to the Sugar Bowl, but I for one hope that it ends up being Louisville. I think a Louisville vs. Florida game would be entertaining, and a fun game to watch. Not to mention that no matter where it is, I will be there......but would much rather go to New Orleans, since I have never been there before. But realistically, this looks like a long shot.

That gives us a Sugar Bowl game of Florida vs. Notre Dame.

That leaves us with the Orange Bowl, and the only other two teams left at this point. Louisville comes in as the Big East Champ to face whichever lame team the ACC sends down to Miami. I dont give a shit which team it is, Louisville would absolutely romp either Wake or Ga. Tech. Thats another reason why I am hoping for the Sugar Bowl, I would actually like to watch a good game.

That gives us a Orange Bowl game of Louisville vs. Pathetic ACC Team.

All things being said, the team I feel the worst for is Wisconsin. That really blows ass to be ranked 7th in the BCS, and get left out just because you are in the same conference as the two best teams in the country. They finished the season with only one loss, and in my opinion deserve to be there over not only Notre Dame and Pathetic ACC team, but also over the Big 12 Champs. My regards to Wisconsin, I truly do feel badly for you.

Hope that all of you enjoyed my insight, and I look forward to reading the responses.

WEBB

nice write up webb..I really don't want to see any rematches anywhere, I will leave it at that...if USC loses to UCLA then fine, UM can play but other than that I want to see some matchups we haven't seen.

If FLA beats ARK I think they deserve the title shot.If USC was in SEC they would probably have at least 3 losses.But I don't want to see FLA play OHIO ST because we can't beat them.I'll take my shot at ND.

You have some pretty good BOWL match-ups,would love to see alot of them play out. :smiley_acbe:

Webb - An absolutely great read. You definately have a great grasp of bowl scenarios. As a Wisconsin fan I think it sucks they're out of the BCS process, but even if there was no rule that only 2 teams from a conference can make it, they probably wouldn't go.

You have 4 at large bids... one goes to Michigan, one to Boise State. SEC deserves at least two teams. So that leaves Wisconsin or Notre Dame (you take Wisky), but if Louisville is sitting there without an automatic bid you need to take them.

Besides the Capitol One Bowl on New Years day is going to be a great matchup. Wisky will take on whoever doesn't make it out of the SEC into the BCS... Either Florida, Arkansas or LSU... Should be a great matchup regardless.

Awesome read Webb..great stuff..

Wisky against any of those teams would be great Nick. How many times have Big 10 teams just rolled over SEC in bowls..its frightening

These are my projections..

BCS Champ: tOSU vs USC
ROSE Bowl: scUM vs LSU
Fiesta Bowl: Boise St vs Okla/Neb winner
Sugar Bowl: ND vs Ark/Fla winner
Orange Bowl: Ga Tech/Wake winner vs Louisville (if WVU beats RU, RU if they win)

Nice post there Webb, and even as an ACC guy I have to agree with most of what you said. Not a very good ACC this year, that's a fact. At one time, I thought Clemson was the best team but now I would have to say VT is the best. GT with Reggie Ball at the helm is so fucking ugly to watch I just can't take it. Ball sucks ass! LSU/Michigan would be a tremedous matchup in the Rose and one I would really love to see.

I would go as far as to say that the two best teams in the ACC are probably not playing in the title game.......

Great read, Mr Webb :cheers:

I'm just scared shitless that the Rose Bowl/TV networks will opt for Notre Dame . That would really suck. Your matchups look very appetizing. Too good to materialize, frankly.
Rutgers is the wild card in this scenario. I give them an excellent chance to beat WV, and if that happens another good team beside Wisky is going to be O U T.
Agree 100% about the automatic bid for conference champion - like ACShit this year. But I'm a strong proponent of a playoff, so screw the BCS. The more controversy the better.
Again, kudos on the post.:shake:

Oh, I complete agree with you, a playoff is needed. I think what you could do is use the BCS formula to a certain extent. You could take the top 8 of the final BCS standings, regardless of conference affiliations, and put them in a 3 week playoff format.

Thanks to everyone for the props on my post, I put a lot of thought and work into it, so it is good to know that people actually enjoyed reading it. I have actually been considering a career change to sports journalism, however, as always, the problem is job opportunities, and how the hell to get started. Thanks again for the praise though, it is much appreciated.

mwwebb81 said:
I would go as far as to say that the two best teams in the ACC are probably not playing in the title game.......

Who's the other one besides VT?

B.A.R. said:
Awesome read Webb..great stuff..

Wisky against any of those teams would be great Nick. How many times have Big 10 teams just rolled over SEC in bowls..its frightening

How many? I dont know honestly, i have selective memory.. only the uga purdue and uga wisky game stick out.. I also remember larry johnson gettin shut down by auburn that one year.. Went back and looked the past 2 years.. it seems like we were even in bowl games :shake: Do you think wisky would beat lsu this year? or arkansas?

mwwebb81 said:
The weird thing is clemson beat both these teams.. too bad they have a shitty coach :smiley_acbe:

Clemson was very fortunate to beat WF in that game which Wake dominated for most of the game. A botched kick turned that entire game around.

lol, I was about to post that Clemson beat them both, but I got beat to the point! Yeah, Clemson took a shit against South Carolina, but they are probably still the 2nd best team in the ACC. Va. Tech vs. Clemson just sounds like a better game to me than Ga. Tech vs. Wake Forrest.

Webb..over the last 10 years..and I will try and document it later the Big 10 has the upper hand in Bowls against SEC.

B.A.R. said:
Webb..over the last 10 years..and I will try and document it later the Big 10 has the upper hand in Bowls against SEC.

Is it the sec's second best team playin the big 10s second best? I thought the sec has been down honestly.. I mean the years uga won .. tenn and fl werent even top 25.. See im not a homer !! I just think from top to bottom the sec is better than the big 10.. Would love to see an LSU v Michigan game in the Rose Bowl :cheers:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbc06.htm

That doesnt mean much obviously.. I think The top 3 are even in the big 10 and sec..(Obviously ohio st and michigan are a little bit higher) But do you think Penn St or whoever the 4th best team is would beat tenny.. or that indiana would beat uga or mich st would beat auburn? I dont know what to think of wisky i mean they have played the 85th toughest schedule they are 1 and 1 against teams in the top 30.. all the rankings that i use have them behind auburn. ( They have played the same amount of games vs top 30 teams as boise). Its hard to get a real feel for that team. I think Iowa struggling hurts the big 10 this year ya know?

Wisconsins wins this year
  • Bowling Green
  • W Illinois
  • San Diego St
  • Indiana
  • Northwestern
  • Minny
  • Penn St
  • Purdue
  • Illinois
  • Iowa
  • Buffalo
Its hard to get a feel for this team.. I dont think many teams in the top 15 would lose more than 1 game either playin this slate of teams. Either way thats why they play the bowls. I think Wisky will get arkansas or Florida and if they can beat either one of them, i will be the first to congratulate them :cheers:

Although wisky is 7th in the rankings they are 12th in the computers
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/BCSStandings which really sticks out compared to the rest of the computer numbers.

Here are my thoughts on the Big 10 vs. the SEC. I think that if you put either Ohio State or Michigan in the SEC, they win the conference. That being said, the Big 10 is better at the top. Now if we are talking top to bottom, I think the SEC has many more good teams than the Big 10, so the level of competition is better in that conference. Now if you want to talk about REAL football, just look at the Big East conference, now that is a football powerhouse............just kidding, lol. Even though that was a joke, I do feel this year that the top 3 teams in the Big East are all very good, and would win the ACC, maybe the Big 12, and be competitive in the other conferences.

All I have to say is GO MOUNTAINEERS!!! If they dont win tonight, sadly it looks as though Louisville is gonna get snubbed in favor of those undeserving fucks from Notre Dame. That would be such bullshit.

webb..
one team has played the 19h toughest schedule and is 2 - 2 vs teams in the top 30
One team has played the 31st toughest schedule and is 1 - 1 vs teams in the top 30
The 2 losses were to top 3 teams.. not sure if u can flat out say the cards have played a tougher schedule and do deserve to be there..

Back