BAW Nation Bowl Thread

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
69-59-3 +34.80 Regular season

Not a bad Saturday. I actually had a bigger card. I was going to text the plays to be posted but that was bad luck a few weeks ago. May seem superstitious but thats just how I am. Pittsburgh, Va Tech and Oklahoma to the good and Cincinatti not good in the late show. I knew I should have stayed off that game. In hindsight though, I feel good about the finish up to the regular season. It was a solid year and I was at about 150 plays overall(posted and not posted) for the season. Cutting out a few more plays each week next year should lead to an even more profitable season.

Big thanks to everyone in the CFB forum this season. More than that though I go back to being behind in my preperation for the season a bit but the late-night summer guys provided all the help you could ever look for. Reading those threads was invaluable. The thrid fall of college footsies at CTG was great and look forward o next year as things should be even better.

Played a few plays in the past hour as the lines came out. Gonna be capping these for the rest of night and we'll see if anything else pops up. A lot of the plays won;t be made till near gameday. These I wanted to get on right away.

USC -10 -110 3 units
TCU -2 -110 2 units
Iowa -3 -110 5 units
Georgia -7 -120 3 units
Texas -10 -110 2 units
West Virginia -1 -110 2 units
Nevada -1.5 -110 2 units
Kansas O58 -110 2 units
<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Last edited:
BAR,

quick question regarding Iowa.. If they can't get the run game going as well as they would like, do you trust Stanzi to be able to win the game through the air?

BAR,

quick question regarding Iowa.. If they can't get the run game going as well as they would like, do you trust Stanzi to be able to win the game through the air?

Do you trust any SC QB at the moment? Least Iowa has a ground game to rely on although this type of offense is a better matchup for SC and their 260lb LB's

Do you trust any SC QB at the moment? Least Iowa has a ground game to rely on although this type of offense is a better matchup for SC and their 260lb LB's

What's even scarier than that, I trust their QB's more than i trust their ability to run the football.. And that is SCary stuff(no pun intended)

What's even scarier than that, I trust their QB's more than i trust their ability to run the football.. And that is SCary stuff(no pun intended)

brave soul my friend, brave soul

Garcia is starting, no questions asked, you could flip a coin with how he will play but its probably 5x better than Smelley would play, which, is not saying much.

I wasn't by any means endorsing a play on SCary.. Just wanted to discuss the game a bit. Iowa has been good to me this year and SC has always been one of my higher rated defensive units, I just don't like backing a team that can't run and has very fickle QB play

I wasn't by any means endorsing a play on SCary.. Just wanted to discuss the game a bit. Iowa has been good to me this year and SC has always been one of my higher rated defensive units, I just don't like backing a team that can't run and has very fickle QB play

I gotcha, just hard to trust this team right now. OL coach was fired. OL will have a shakeup, no clue who is starting yet. How much offense does Garcia know because the whole reason Spurrier wasn't playing him was "he didn't know the offense".

There are a few players who might of quit on their team in Clemson as well because all they care about is themselves.

Love TCU and IOWA

I'll let you inflate the USC, Texas, and Georgia lines for me.

Will be on Georgia with you no doubt. Besides Iowa I wouldnt be surprised to see the rest of the B10 go down in flames

Good luck during bowl season BAR. I had a tough last 2 weeks in CFB and need a nice run to finish the year out. Have a great Holiday season.

bro..I posted this in other threads..are you concerned with UGA's rush defense last few games?

Would be interested in MSU-Georgia thoughts as well

........think Dantonio getting ready for Michigan....that is how MSU will play in this bowl game.

For several reasons. Dantonio has demonstrated ability to increase level of his players in big games....Michigan and bowl games going back to Marshall. They beat a great BC team last year if Brian Hoyer isn't pulling a Juice Williams, an anomally for Hoyer.

The way Michigan State ended the season is going to have a big impact just my two cents.....Georgia as well you could say though...

MSU also showed up vs. a balanced California team in Berkely to start the year,

I believe situationally capping MSU will have everything going for them although I expect Georgia to show up as well.

---Georgia did not do much this year in down SEC year.

This game IMO for most people comes down to Big Ten vs. SEC.

I think it's a mistake like WEst Virginia vs. Auburn. The Cap One is historically very close and between Cap One and Outback Big Ten might hold a slight edge. Especially dogs in these types of games go back to Wisky vs. Auburn, Michigan last year, South Carolina over Ohio State, MSU over Florida, etc. etc. The papers will have MSU feeling like the world is against them.

I take MSU over every team Georgia has beaten....the SEC was two teams this year period

ASSUREDLY blowout losses to Ohio State and Penn State will be at the forefront of why ppl will be on Georgia IMO.

PSU, Ohio State, and Wisky all had success because they shut down the PSU run stone cold.
----We will know first 5 minutes if MSU is in this ball game. MSU looks like complete shit when they connot run.

MSU sure is risky sometimes because it's hard to tell who can stop their running game----they push around Raji and BC #2 rush defense and fare well against IOWA but struggle against Wisconsin

the Iowa win is a very good win for Michigan State.

Last edited by a moderator:
------The SEC and Big Ten are 8-8 in the last 16 Capital One meetings.
------Since 1999 only two games have been decided by more than 7 points in the Capital One Bowl
------the Big Ten has won the last 4 meetings

Well, Dantoni can prep for big games but at the same point two of the biggest games this year hi team just got crushed and never showed life. I was very unimpressed with the pass defense of MSU in that PSU game. It looked terrible. A lot of what Sparty did this year was smoke and mirrors at times. Iowa was a game they should not have won. The Hawkeyes beat themselves in that game to be completely honest.

More later...

I want to hear your reasoning on USC.

I'll get to more later but here is what I wrote in VK's thread a bit ago

I know many people don't like USC this year and they are overrated. I will tell you this much. There is nothing they can do about their conference being horrible. Its just one of those years. They scheduled a HUGE OOC game with the Buckeyes. Alas, the Buckeyes played in a bad conference and had 2 losses overall. Again, nothing they can control there. This is a GREAT defense. I know the offense has really sputtered for some dumb reason the last half of the year but I think they just dominate this game. Will they score as easily as they did against Illinois last year? No. Giving Prickly Pete a month to prepare is huge. Yeah, I know that its most likely Joe's last game. Whoop-de-doo. Their most impressive win this year was against Ohio State and thats because a true freshman made a critical turnover. I see a 27-7 type game here in all honesty

Jeez BAR what's with this more later stuff get to the point brother.

I agree BAR Georgia will have success moving the football. But let me tell you let's compare the MSU pass defense to the Georgia Tech pass defense....the GT pass defense was bad and hidden in the horrible ACC offense league and Georgia exposed it.

I knew you would bring up the Iowa game...and let's be honest Iowa can't pass so will be tougher test vs. Georgia but Iowa defense much better than Dawgs. MSU and Iowa were pretty even it is not that misleading the NW victory for Iowa now that was misleading.

Georgia's run defense is going to be the story to this game. If they cannot stonecold the MSU run it will be a close game IMO.

------Let me say this about PSU. Clark was on early in the year and then went in to a rut and I think alot can be attributed to Clark and how he is playing opposed to the defnese....first year starters go through periods like that.

The Bradley zone will be effective against USC. None of that Havili out of the backfield on the wheel route vs. a linebacker or deep passes in second half over Michigan's man coverage and Michigan's cement db's.

Ohio State was a team trying to work themselves into shape when they played USC I don't get it but it seems like they needed something to spark them because the same players on the dline were playing alot softer. Vs. Ohio, Wisconsin, these early games Ohio State was getting gashed.

This USC team is not as good as every USC team that won the Rose Bowl Recently.

---USC will have AS MUCH trouble scoring as Penn State will.

If their is a weakness to this USC defense is is power run. I thought Ohio State could get 3,4 yards any time they wanted. Beavs ran well and I have to give USC credit their dline came on and were magnificent

But Penn State uses MAX protection not like that dumb ass Michigan ofensive coordinator. I mean seriously twice in a row vs. USC what an idiot.

USC thrives off sacks and turnovers. Penn State is very methodical and is not going to play into USC's hands.

This will be a tight ball game.

--And don't harp on the PSU game for MSU, I know it's the last game and they looked bad but Georgia looked awfully bad vs. GT

Listen, that is my biggest concern as far as UGA goes. A few games scared me. Thats why I got on it now, even with the juice...I wanted that number. If I get out of the play later on, I get out. There will be a middle opportunity no doubt.

how many times is USC gonna be doubted in these bowl games?

and fwiw, there'll be no need to buy out of UGA. there were a few times we correctly went against MSU this season, saying basically the same thing in each instance.

bottom line...if UGA comes in motivated to play, sells out the defense to do just one thing (contain ringer), then they lay the wood to MSU.
and history tells us that USC will come motivated to play...jsut as history tells us that PSU will get taken to the woodshed, illy-style.

EAST LANSING -- The heat was on the Michigan State football team today.
The Spartans practiced in hot conditions inside the Duffy Daughtery indoor football facility in preparation for their Jan. 1 Capital One Bowl game against Georgia in Orlando, Fla. Coach Mark Dantonio also had crowd noise and music blaring over loudspeakers.
Some might question the value of working out in an artificial environment with the belief it will get the players prepared for what they'll face on game day. But, quarterback Brian Hoyer said it worked last season when MSU played in the Champs Sports Bowl also at Citrus Bowl Stadium.
The difference is, the Champs Bowl was played in the evening while the Capital One will kick off at 1 p.m., although Hoyer didn't recall anybody having trouble with the heat during mid-day practices.
"It feels pretty hot in here and it probably won't even be as hot in Florida so we'll be prepared for it," Hoyer said. "I guess they assume that six days here in the heat will get us acclimated. I remember the first day we got down there last year it was real hot, but we gradually got used to it especially after practicing up here where it's about 80 degrees.
"It definitely helps."
The Spartans are trying to get their conditioning back to where it was before their last regular season game at Penn State on Nov. 22.
"Well, we got 'em tired and we introduced a lot of things about Georgia," Dantonio said. "We had good meetings this morning and there was good focus coming out here. We've got to play ourselves back into game condition.
"We haven't played in two weeks so we did a lot of running."

Iowa defense much better than Dawgs.

Dipping into that eggnog a little early, aren't we O-State?

USC -10 -110 3 units
TCU -2 -110 2 units
Iowa -3 -110 5 units
Georgia -7 -120 3 units
Texas -10 -110 2 units
<!-- / message --><!-- sig --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I hope you have a HUGE Bowl month BAR, as I am on every single one of these....let's hope that is not bad news for you.

Looks like you got a better TCU line than me by the hook, and I got you by the same on the Horns. Hopefull we won't need them anyway.

Good luck.....ready for it to get here.:tiphat:

I'll be back in here tonight to discuss.

There has been and will be a lot of debate about UGA's defense. Remember, that January 1 they will be as healthy as they have been all year.

Dantonio has never beaten a ranked team I believe fwiw.

Notre Dame +1 -110 2 units

Streak is broken...got Hawaii in this one. I have been an Irish fan for my whole life, and I just don't see them winning this one. I am sure they have better talent on the field than the warriors, but they will not bring the intensity that Hawaii will IMO. Good health on this one.

Iowa defense much better than Dawgs.

Dipping into that eggnog a little early, aren't we O-State?

Nah bro just facts

Iowa is 10th rushing defense and 8 pass efficiency defense nationally.

Georgia is 41 and 56.

Obviously you haven't gotten a chance to watch Iowa as there is a reason TeeDub and most great cappers are on them. This is a vastly underrated team and a team whose losses were fluky.

Georgia's schedule is better but not that much the SEC is not deep this year.

---Quite frankly Georgia has been overrated all season as Tennessee, and Auburn were.

I don't feel strongly enough to play Michigan State at 7, at 10 I would give it a look.

Georgia has the more exposive offense

---I'm just not entrhalled with Georgia and MSU is not as bad as some of those losses look IMO.

U bullshit son.
?

:pillow:

Wanted to say as we approach the first games this weekend a spectacular job by the CFB forum getting ready for the games. I know its a busy time of year for everyone but have read some unreal threads.

let me talk a little bit about ND from the motivational aspect..again...I have either in this thread or elsewhere....

If you want the game breakdown, I can't even attempt to put it any better than VK did in his thread. Thats a great read...

Bowl games are a different animal. There are so many little factors you have to weigh in. The biggest in my estimaion is motivation. Normally, I wouldn't be too keen on jumping on a team playing out on the island. Not many are. Especially on Christmas Eve. I understand this is a tough sell. I'll tell you what though, this is Fat Chucks last chance. It was very imperitive to myself to play this that all that went down with him and the school happened quickly. It keeps the players and coaches in the right frame of min and get ready to roll. The most important time for coaches with young teams are these extra practices they get prior to bowl games. Fat Chuck an anyother coach in America gets that extra time to get young guys ready. its why you see some freshman and scruffmores really have breakouts or coming out parties in bowls. It is in essence, their next year on the field. This takes extra importance for the Irish because this game is like the beginning of a new chapter. Go out there and win this bowl game and set the tone for next year. they will have a junior QB, another great class oming in and should be expected to do much better. This game here lays the groundwork for that. the pressure has been put on and thats why I believe they will not take this "vacation" lightly.

Lets look at the MSU side briefly

They played 3 quality opponents this year. Thats it..three. Yes Wisconsin and Notre Dame are going to bowls but thats because they fed on shitty competition. Remember too, it took a great comeback at home for Sparty to beat Wisconsin.

The three quality opponents:

Iowa
Ohio St
Penn St

People really overlook that Iowa game. The Hawkeyes are the ones that blew that game. They won yardage by 35 yards or so. Stanzi was also still a bit rough then but put up similar numbers to Hoyer. Shon Greene, with not much of a passing threat put up near 160 yards still. I love Shon Greene, but what do you think Moreno is going to do? He is going to pound away and get yards. At the same point, Michigan State hasn't seen a QB like Matthew Stafford this year. Whats the closest they have seen to an elite QB? Kevin Riley? Clausen? Clark? Pryor? Thats what I am getting at. They have yet to see a QB with all the tools. You saw what Daryl Clark did to their secondary, well its going to be much worse from Stafford and the Bulldogs. So its pick your poison for Dantonio. Closest they had to that situation was Cal game where the defense really struggled. I love what MSU did this year. They won ballgames the old style way and the coach gets the most out of his players. The thing is, I do not see how they keep up here. They would need a lot of turnovers and be able to play with the lead. If UGA gets up a few scores that puts the ball in Hoyers hands. Ruhroe. Even starting the game the Bulldogs will be ready for Ringer. Will they stop him, who knows but the only way MSU can really stay in this game IMO is if Hoyer is spot on. He hasn't proven capable of doing that against a top 25 program yet. MSU is o-fer against the big boys the last two years.

I know....

Not being lazy....

They coming...slowly and surely...

I would rather just do them with them games but like to post the numbers when I have them or whats the purpose.

Back