Baseball Info

nropp11

Vice-President of Fondy Fanclub
Using the -1 Runline in baseball
A lot of people use a -1.5 runline in baseball to reduce vig, but in my opinion there is a better way with lesser risk. I ain’t going to go in depth to explain it, but I’ll post an example.
Take the Red Sox/A’s for instance:
Red Sox -157 ($100 to win $64)
Red Sox -1.5 +100 ($64 to win $64)
Therefore, you’re risking $164 to win $128 on the Red Sox winning at -1. If the game lands on 1 run, you win your original investment, don’t lose anything on the second (break-even).
Thus, your odds in this scenario would have been Red Sox -1 -128.
You won’t find many opportunities beginning of the season, but you do find some nice opportunities if you can find the consistent -120 to -130 ML, b/c their runlines on the -1.5 are in the +150’s to +160’s. For Example:
Cubs ML -120 ($100 to win $83)
Cubs RL -1.5 +155 ($83 to win $129)
Thus, you’re risking $183 to win $212, game lands on 1, push again.
Thus, Cubs -1 is at +112.

Just passing this along, you’ll find some nice spots in some instances…I use it often, especially if you have a few outs (3 or 4 different books w/ better prices - or if you do some arbing or bonus busting).

GL

Interesting thought, never really though of doing something like that. I've done it where I've taken the + money on the RL and the dog ML, but never both the same side to get the -1... With 5Dimes having the -1 RL's, I'd like to see how those lines would end up comparing.

You won’t find many opportunities beginning of the season, but you do find some nice opportunities if you can find the consistent -120 to -130 ML, b/c their runlines on the -1.5 are in the +150’s to +160’s.

does the ML need to be around -120 to -130 or can it be slightly lower/higher

Example tomorrow's game with Bos/Oak

Bos ML -115
Bos RL -1.5 +145

does the ML need to be around -120 to -130 or can it be slightly lower/higher

Example tomorrow's game with Bos/Oak

Bos ML -115
Bos RL -1.5 +145

Basically any team you can get -130 or cheaper is going to give you a positive vig (underdog) on the -1 runline.

In this case, you're taking Red Sox -1 +115. These come in handy especially where I like to use em when you have a virtual PK or one team's ML is at -104, when the RL is around +180 or so, thus laying the -1 +140 ish = value.

what books offer -1? I don't think DSI/Bookmaker do. Pretty sure Bodog doesn't b/c they suck. I'm guessing The Greek does.

what books offer -1? I don't think DSI/Bookmaker do. Pretty sure Bodog doesn't b/c they suck. I'm guessing The Greek does.

Fondy says 5dimes offers it, but I do not use 5dimes, so I cannot attest.

You can calculate the -1 RL yourself. Use the example nropp gave above where you wager X amount on the ML then rollover the potential profit from ML cash to the RL.

If I get time tonight I will make a -1 RL calculation spreadsheet for the mods to sticky at the top of the MLB forum.

-1.5 will show greater profit in the long run because you are paying extra juice on the 2 bets just to possibly get a refund if they win by 1... bad topic.

just to possibly get a refund if they win by 1... bad topic.

Good topic

Over the last 3 years, 27.4% of all games have been decided by a one-run differential.

Hell, the last baseball wager I lost was a 2-1 loss.

When this topic covers over 1/4 of all games over the last three years, I wouldn't call it a bad topic.

Good topic

Over the last 3 years, 27.4% of all games have been decided by a one-run differential.

Hell, the last baseball wager I lost was a 2-1 loss.

When this topic covers over 1/4 of all games over the last three years, I wouldn't call it a bad topic.
"You won’t find many opportunities beginning of the season, but you do find some nice opportunities if you can find the consistent -120 to -130 ML, b/c their runlines on the -1.5 are in the +150’s to +160’s. For Example:
Cubs ML -120 ($100 to win $83)
Cubs RL -1.5 +155 ($83 to win $129)
Thus, you’re risking $183 to win $212, game lands on 1, push again.
Thus, Cubs -1 is at +112."

in this case you are giving up 33 cents to break even (cubs -1 +112 compared to cubs -1.5 +155)

so please tell me how giving up 33 cents would make sense in the long run if only 27.4% games are decided by 1 run

in this case you are giving up 33 cents to break even (cubs -1 +112 compared to cubs -1.5 +155)

so please tell me how giving up 33 cents would make sense in the long run if only 27.4% games are decided by 1 run

You are using one price; the price is not constant

Tend to agree with pidgeon. They do not make these options to help you. They are calculated to make you pay more for the option then it is actually worth.

You are using one price; the price is not constant
the difference in -1 and -1.5 is always within the same distance, give or take a few. this makes choosing the -1.5 option over -1 far more profitable in the long run given that 27.4% games are decided by 1 run

Back