Bama/aTm..... Saban/Sumlin, McCarron/Manziel, Yeldon/Malena

KowboyKarl

Live. Breathe. Blue.
Thought there was already a thread for this game...couldn't find it.

Anyway, this game needs its own thread, no doubt! Can't wait for this one!

Let's get some discussion going on this one...

GO!

:shake:

might as well post this

TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama wide receiver Amari Cooper insists this Texas A&M game is not about revenge.
Nick Saban said it's important to keep the approach businesslike and that the field is no place for trash talk. Quarterback AJ McCarron believes his friendship with Texas A&M counterpart Johnny Manziel is overblown.

<!-- begin inline 1 --><!-- INLINE QUOTE-BOX MODULE -->
ncf_i_cooper_65.jpg
To me, it's not a revenge thing because if we wanted to get revenge, we'd have to play that same team last year with the same team we had last year. It's really not a revenge thing. If you lose a fight with someone, you don't get revenge from fighting someone else.”
<cite>-- Amari Cooper, Alabama receiver, on Tide's rematch with Texas A&M</cite>​
<!-- END INLINE QUOTE-BOX MODULE --><!-- end inline 1 --> The top-ranked Crimson Tide and No. 6 Aggies are finally getting together again Saturday night -- this time in College Station. Alabama opened game week trying to shoot down many of the storylines, but stopping Manziel would be easier than deflating this hype.
"Yeah, it's the only game we lost last year," Cooper said Monday. "To me, it's not a revenge thing because if we wanted to get revenge, we'd have to play that same team last year with the same team we had last year.
"It's really not a revenge thing. If you lose a fight with someone, you don't get revenge from fighting someone else."
Then again, Manziel was the big puncher last season in a game that might have put a reserve on the Heisman Trophy. Sure, the Tide got back up from the 29-24 knockdown and won a second straight national title.
It still seems like a game ripe for overwrought emotions and perhaps some heated smack talk. Saban says not from the Tide.
"It's never a part of our game," he said. "We tell our players, there's no circumstance where you need to talk to another player, and there's been very little of that with our team. Businesslike is the way we'd like to approach this game. It's going to be emotional, don't get me wrong. And I'm not trying to minimize the importance when I use the term businesslike.

[+] Enlarge<cite>Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images</cite>AJ McCarron downplayed his friendship with Johnny Manziel and hinted that some of the criticism aimed at the reigning Heisman Trophy winner has been unfair.

"People who get emotional sometimes don't make the best decisions."
Saban's strategy has worked in grudge matches. Rather, friendly rematches. His Alabama and LSU teams are 15-2 in avenging losses the following seasons or later in the same seasons. At Alabama, Saban has seven wins in eight tries by an average score of 33-12, and the loss was 9-6 in overtime to LSU. That preceded a 21-0 win in Round 2 for the national title.
The Tide are in very different circumstances this time. Alabama (1-0) got an off week after an opening 35-10 win over Virginia Tech, when the offense sputtered to 206 yards and an O-line with three new starters fielded some criticism. Last season, the Tide were coming off a down-to-the-wire win over LSU and fell behind 20-0 in the first quarter.
Saban said that's not an acceptable excuse for the poor start.
"You can't be up or down. People talk about emotion all the time, that creates that," he said. "That was an emotional win for us (versus) LSU, but that cannot be an excuse not to be ready to play the next one. It can't be acceptable, especially not in our league."
McCarron, the Tide's quarterback, maintains "it's just another week" except for the fact that Alabama lost the last meeting.
"That's last year," he said. "Turn the page. I don't really focus on what happened last year no matter if we won or we lost. I'm worried about this year and what we need to do to win this year."
As for his friendship with Manziel, he doesn't think that's a big deal.

<!-- begin inline 2 -->[h=4]More on Alabama[/h]
333.gif
For full coverage of the Tide, check out the Alabama blog, part of ESPN's College Football Nation. Blog
More:
Alabama's clubhouse page
ESPN.com's SEC blog

<!-- end inline 2 -->The two were roommates at the Manning Passing Academy, where Manziel left early and blamed missing activities on oversleeping. McCarron said the two last spoke around SEC media days in July, but he wouldn't say if they had exchanged texts since then. Manziel was suspended for a half against Rice for what Texas A&M (2-0) called "inadvertent" violations of NCAA rules involving signing autographs.
"We're just friends, guys," McCarron said. "Y'all make this thing a lot bigger than it needs to be."
Unlike Manziel, McCarron's off-field headlines came from his relationship with model and reality TV star Katherine Webb.
McCarron said his philosophy is "just be myself" but said some of the stuff his Texas A&M counterpart gets knocked for is just Johnny being Johnny.
"I've never been one to be in the spotlight," he told reporters. "Everybody lives their lifestyle different. People criticize him for being himself. Everybody's got their opinion on something. That's what y'all get paid for, opinions."

it's no secret that their bye week came this early in the season in my eyes, they say they don't want revenge, but it's all on their minds

***Full Disclosure: Bama Homer***

The players that are allowed to speak to media are basically just extensions of what Saban wants to be put out there. Of course this game has been on the minds of the players and coaches. Last year's game was on continuous loop in the weight room all summer. If it's not about revenge, it's about motivation and fighting complacency.

I thought that last year the defensive staff for Bama did an outstanding job of adjusting. They did a poor job in the first quarter obviously. The two key matchups in my mind are the Bama OL/TE/RBs vs the aTm front 7 and the Bama LB/S that have to defend the slot for aTm. If Bama can run the ball effectively and keep AJ clean, I don't think the 2nd one matters much. The three players on the Bama D who will likely determine how much aTm moves the ball are Adrian Hubbard, CJ Mosely and a combination of Vinnie Sunseri, Geno Smith, and maybe Landon Collins. Bama's CB will be fine, especially with Clinton-Dix providing over the top support. If Hubbard can keep Manziel from extending plays and Mosely can contain the middle of the field, there won't be as much pressure on whichever LB or S/CB has to defend the slot WRs. If Manziel is allowed to extend plays, it will be very difficult for Bama to effectively defend the slot, much like last year.

I feel good about Saban and Smart putting together a great game plan on defense, and I trust that the offense, particularly the OL, to look much better after the bye, with added focus, against a lesser DL than week 1. However, Manziel is a special player who has made big plays time and again. Sumlin is a great coach and will also have a great game plan.

It's hard to go against Saban in a revenge situation and with extra time to prepare, but Bama looked less than inspiring against Va Tech. My guess is that Bama will look more like the team we thought they'd be and will be able to make explosive plays on offense. The defense will be tested by Manziel and his WRs, but I think Bama will be as effective against them as anybody can be. The atmosphere will be electric, but Bama has plenty of experience playing games like this. Manziel and co have basically none. I think Bama jumps out in front and never lets them back in the game. Something like 38-24

Absolutely this game needs a thread of its own. The most exciting matchup this year and in several years for that matter.

At the beginning of the season I was ready to plunge on Bama, no matter what the line, but I am more cautious now. I was sure Manziel would implode after the off season he had, but he is playing better than ever and his passing is on a different level now than it was last year.

I have heard several respected ex-coaches who are now analysts raving about the improvement in his technique.

I still like Bama--I recall very well how flat they were last year after playing LSU the week before, and got way down early, but came back inside the red zone and were about to score for the win until aTm intercepted a pass--but there is no home advantage better than aTm's, so I am going to see how things develop during the week before I bet.

By the way, Saban and the players may tell the public this is just another game, but the Bama weight room had an endless tape of last year's game that has played 24-7 all spring, summer, and fall.

Last edited:
Already laid $$ on bama at -7 and -8 for 4 units. I think Bama wins this by DD. Too much hype around A&M, just too damn much.

Why should this be a revenge game, Bama won the National championship...or was it A&M that won it? My thoughts would be like...yea we lost to you at home, but we still have the trophy. If A&M beats them again, then I will be shocked, really would be.

Like the discussion already

I like first half over.....both offenses can explode and special teams

I would agree on the over... I already took Bama -7 myself, but, Johnny and that offense do scare me. I'm very interested in seeing how Saban schemes against it. 1h over may be a way to go as well.

I'd have to look back and don't have the time right now, but, who handled this aTm offense best last year? What strategy/scheme did they use?

I would agree on the over... I already took Bama -7 myself, but, Johnny and that offense do scare me. I'm very interested in seeing how Saban schemes against it. 1h over may be a way to go as well.

I'd have to look back and don't have the time right now, but, who handled this aTm offense best last year? What strategy/scheme did they use?

UF and LSU handled JFF/TAMU offense the best.

UF caught TAMU early in the season.

LSU had too much team speed in their front 7 for JFF to run around like he was playing pop warner football.

I'd say Florida, LSU and Bama (2nd-4th quarter) in that order. UF and LSU had the luxury of playing them early on, before Manziel became Johnny Football, but I think they all did pretty much the same thing, which was mentioned in that article I linked above. Basically play them man 2 man, blitz, and dare them to beat you. You have to tackle well. You have to have plus athletes on defense. And you have to force Manziel into making quick decisions. If you let him sit in the pocket, or escape it and extend plays, he will kill you. He is also capable of making the tight throws as we saw in Tuscaloosa last year.

All the talk of Saban against Manziel. Bama score 21 points last year at home against a so-so A&M D. I think everyone just assumes that Bama will run wild in College Station, but will that be the case?

LSU and then FLA

LSU was so fast last year, he couldn't do much..FLA got em too but earlier

All the talk of Saban against Manziel. Bama score 21 points last year at home against a so-so A&M D. I think everyone just assumes that Bama will run wild in College Station, but will that be the case?
TAMU defense blows. Saw enough Sam Houston and Rice.

How wild do they have to run? TAMU lost alot of players, and while Sumlin is now getting big time guys, he is a lil shelved before the move to the NFL

It's a good thing Sumlin hasn't thought of adding any wrinkles.

You do have to remember that the OC is gone for the Ags.
As much as I disliked him.

We have more than one 6'5" rcvr this year.

Regarding the first article. I just hope the Ags don't trash talk. Never did that before, but see more now from the ESPN generation.

it's no secret that their bye week came this early in the season in my eyes, they say they don't want revenge, but it's all on their minds

Not sure the case here but schedules are generally made plenty in advance. Unless they dropped someone in the past 9 months for week 2, which I highly doubt.

Not sure the case here but schedules are generally made plenty in advance. Unless they dropped someone in the past 9 months for week 2, which I highly doubt.

SEC schedule comes out prior to that season.

The OOC games are locked up in advance but the SEC season schedule is made before each season

Regarding the first article. I just hope the Ags don't trash talk. Never did that before, but see more now from the ESPN generation.
I like em too....they will need to come up huge, and I mean huge

LOL press. Yall are the home of JFF.....we walk away from coaches and flash money

You are in the $EC now baby....welcome to the show

The lights are bright:wacky:

I guess you could call it gambling. Sometimes it feels like a root canal, other times sex with Jessica.

Used to fish when the family had the lakehouse on LBJ, but I have no patience.
I'd rather do 60 on a waverunner across the lake than sit with a line in the water.
I'm impatient to the point of it being irritating.

Six defensive starters for aTm are back this week after two game suspension, all of them among the best players on the D.

Haven't heard for sure but some are saying Brandon Williams, one of the best RBs in the country who played as a freshman at Oklahoma, is over his injury and will be back for the game.

Floyd Raven (DB) is out for aTm. No idea how good he is or isn't

Floyd Raven (DB) is out for aTm. No idea how good he is or isn't

in addition to this, Obioha may be out too

Well, so much for Texas A&M’s defense being at full strength for the latest Game of the Century.
During a teleconference Tuesday, head coach Kevin Sumlin revealed that starting safety Floyd Raven will not play in Saturday’s game with Alabama due to injury. The hard-hitting safety suffered an injury to his collarbone in A&M’s win over Sam Houston State Saturday, and Sumlin was unsure of when he will return.
After sitting out the opener due to a suspension, this past weekend’s game was Raven’s first collegiate start. The suspension was the result of a May arrest for an April incident in which it was alleged that Raven and a teammate, starting cornerback Deshazor Everett, beat on a pair of males and a Chevy Tahoe. Everett was suspended for the first half of the opener as a result of the incident.
Raven played in 13 games as a cornerback last season but was moved to safety in the spring.
In addition to Raven, the availability of starting defensive end Julien Obioha is up in the air due to injury. Obioha, who has 13 career starts, missed the win over SHSU with an undisclosed injury.

I wanna know what facet of this game everybody thinks will decide the winner in this one...

Saban vs Sumlin?

Bama o-line vs aTm d-line?

aTm o-line vs Bama d-line?

McCarron vs Manziel?

Bama playmakers vs aTm playmakers?

I wanna know what facet of this game everybody thinks will decide the winner in this one...

Saban vs Sumlin?

Bama o-line vs aTm d-line?

aTm o-line vs Bama d-line?

McCarron vs Manziel?

Bama playmakers vs aTm playmakers?

Bama OL vs aTm DL. If Bama can run, they win easily. My 2nd pick would be Bama back 7 vs Manziel

Back