Baltimore vs Boston Preview Article (Monday)

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Wright is Wrong: Boston’s Starting Pitcher a Must-Fade in Baltimore

Boston begins a ten-game road stand on Monday night in Baltimore. Let’s kick it off with a double-play in anticipation of a high-scoring start for the O’s.

Boston Red Sox at Baltimore Orioles

MLB Pick: Baltimore 1H & 1H „Over“

The O’s are yielding negative units in almost every betting category. But if we followed trends thoughtlessly, we could never bet on Baltimore. Betting on baseball is unique in that there are no Cleveland Browns. Everybody wins and the reward is greater for figuring out when the bad teams win.

Boston’s Steven Wright (2-0, 1.57 ERA) is a knuckleballer. A knuckleballer has to negotiate between generating unpredictable movement and commanding his pitches within the strike zone.

Lineups can practice against the knuckleball, so some lineups are better against it. For example, one way to prepare is to not swing until it lands in the upper parts of the strike zone, where it's easier to hit. When Wright faced Baltimore on May 18, there were two spots in the two upper rows of the zone in which Baltimore slugged 2.000. The O’s managed two runs in 4.2 innings, but were victims of an unfortunately low BABIP (batting average of balls in play). Wright’s FIP (like ERA, but factors out luck) was 5.04.

In each of Wright's two starts against B-more in 2017, he yielded a 10+ FIP. Since 2017, the O’s are slugging .825 against Wright's knuckleball. Trey Mancini, Jonathan Schoop, and Adam Jones have combined for seven homers against Wright. In 85 career at-bats against him, Baltimore batters are hitting .282 and slugging .647.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dylan Bundy (4-7, 4.04 ERA) counters for Baltimore. His ERA is inflated by three starts from April 26 to May 8 during which he yielded 19 runs in nine innings. He is striking out more batters than ever before, but still can’t be trusted to avoid critical mistakes. Boston slammed three homers against him on May 19 and ranks third in homers per game.

Bundy relies primarily on a fastball-slider combo, but also mixes in a change-up and curveball so that there’s a 17 mph velocity differential between his fastest and slowest pitch. This differential keeps hitters off-balance and improves the perceived velocity of his fastball, which is unspectacular velocity but features some arm-side movement, with which he loves to toy with batters with two strikes on the peripheries of the zone. Bundy typically starts batters off with his fastball in the upper-middle parts of the zone and finishes them off with a slider located low in order to change the batter’s eye level. He’s throwing his slider with 38% frequency in the two lowest-right corners of the zone where batters cannot be as certain whether it will be a strike. Along the way, he emphasizes his change-up and slider when the batter is ahead in the count and expects a fastball. So the key for Bundy is to remain unpredictable. During his slump, he frequently fell behind in the count. He varied the location of his pitches less and left his fastball, for example, with 4.98% higher frequency down the middle. Since May 8, Bundy's improved first-pitch strike rate is allowing him to be more unpredictable and make fewer mistakes with location. There are four fewer spots in the zone in which he’s locating his fastball with over 7% frequency. He's averaging seven innings in his last five outings.

Boston ranks first in slugging against Bundy’s two favorite pitches, the fastball and slider, against righties and metrics show them to even be underachieving. They rank second in the past two weeks in the category. Bundy has seen the Red Sox many times since 2017 and could supersede in some games the difficult match-up while he was never as poor, in terms of FIP, as Wright was against Baltimore.

I want to ride Baltimore’s success against Wright while I expect Boston to manage a couple runs from Bundy, but not enough to endanger Baltimore’s „first-five“ upset.

Interesting game to cover, never looked at a knuckleballer before. Saw competing theories about knuckleball predictability. I think you can practice against it--granted I kinda have to think that for my article lol--and there perhaps isn't any greater abruptness in the alterations of its actual movement/trajectory towards the plate than other, "normal" pitches. But maybe BJPlayer can enlighten us further who's also old enough to also remember Tim Wakefield.

Anyways, O's have great history vs Wright and I understand that could derive at least in part from Wakefield's ability on that evening to execute his pitch, but is that different than with other pitches on other given nights?

Really didn't know what else to look at than lineup history vs Wright as O's batters haven't seen any other knuckleball, which is perhaps a good thing. I think knuckleballers have different velocity, spin and location tendencies and the O's get to see this same pitch (of course, with an element of randomness in it) again as they did last year with great success.

Bundy is also interesting. Sox hit his pitches well, but he's showing good form in some important regards--granted two starts against Mets and White Sox. But is more confident with the strike zone, improved velo since the slump, lasting long in outings and is showing me other things that inspire confidence. A homer or two still wouldn't surprise me, but Bmore batters have a way greater HR % against Wright.

So i'm debating with my friend about morning sex. I admittedly didn't know this was a thing. But he says it energizes you while I say the release of hormones causes sleepiness. @B.A.R.

I mean if sex energized you wouldn't athletes just have sex before games?

Last edited:
So i'm debating with my friend about morning sex. I admittedly didn't know this was a thing. But he says it energizes you while I say the release of hormones causes sleepiness. @B.A.R.

I mean if sex energized you wouldn't athletes just have sex before games?

Some do. Others don’t. Fighters often will abstain from sex before a fight afraid shooting their load will tire them out lol

I think there should be an animal heaven. Some cats are really sweet and others are surely possessed by the bitchiest kind of devil

5dimes still sporting a total of 9.

I’m eyeing the Jays at -105 with Sammy G on the mound at TB. Kids a stud. Like him better pitching at home but like him over Yarborough here.

How are Jays vs lefties?

Their offense as a whole has kind of been a disappointment. I know Smoak hits them well, Donaldson obv but he’s still out, a lot of the guys in the lineup have limited ABs vs them (morales, Travis, Martin or Maile whichever is catching, etc). Do think they have the better starter and bullpen tho.

Their offense as a whole has kind of been a disappointment. I know Smoak hits them well, Donaldson obv but he’s still out, a lot of the guys in the lineup have limited ABs vs them (morales, Travis, Martin or Maile whichever is catching, etc). Do think they have the better starter and bullpen tho.

Never betting fg on them again after Clippard ruined a perfectly capped lead for me! BOL I like Gaviglio as well

Never betting fg on them again after Clippard ruined a perfectly capped lead for me! BOL I like Gaviglio as well

Sammy G has a 2.51 ERA. I hear you on Clippard. I was much more comfortable with him in setup role for Osuna. I think they’ve figured out he’s better in that role as they’ve used some other guys (Oh, Tepera, Barnes) to close out games

Sammy G has a 2.51 ERA. I hear you on Clippard. I was much more comfortable with him in setup role for Osuna. I think they’ve figured out he’s better in that role as they’ve used some other guys (Oh, Tepera, Barnes) to close out games

Oh has experience in St Louis at least but its not like Clippard is inexperienced in obtaining saves either. I don‘t like Clippard period I remember seeing him in the South Side, his control is so precarious

Oh has experience in St Louis at least but its not like Clippard is inexperienced in obtaining saves either. I don‘t like Clippard period I remember seeing him in the South Side, his control is so precarious

Yeah clippard has the experience but was always better as a setup guy. Always has been, but yeah he will be lights out then go thru spurts where he can’t locate his spots and gets hit

Def not War and Peace lol. I just ate my last “meal” of the day, time for a hot shower soon, some food network, and bed lol

Lol fair enough. I think the marriage between a 16 year old and 50 year old is a pretty now-ish topic tho. Why do you get home so late?

Why not just get an electric shaver? Then it takes like two minutes. I still hate the chin part tho that always hurts

I actually did get one a few months ago with the theory that I’d blade shave once, maybe twice a week, and do touch ups w the electric, but it hasn’t worked out that way. I don’t feel like I get a close enough shave just w electric

Back