Back Yankees vs Oakland Article

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Join the Dark Side and Bet on Evil Empire to Advance Past Oakland

The Yankees host the A's on Wednesday night on TBS in the Wild Card game. The Bronx Bombers will smash their way to victory and it won’t be close.

Oakland (97-65) at New York Yankees (100-62)

Wednesday, 8 ET (TBS)

MLB Pick: Yankees

I know a number of bettors who rushed to bet on Oakland as soon as they heard that New York’s Luis Severino (19-8, 3.39 ERA) would be his team’s starter in the Wild Card game. History can be a useful capping tool, but those bettors show how history can mislead you into picking the wrong side. The key term is sample size. Severino started the Wild Card game last season and was belted by the Twins, who produced three runs in 0.1 innings. It would be a mistake to read too much into that outing. It was one outing. It was his first playoff experience ever. He was 23 years-old. In sum, he was nervous. And who could blame him? When I was 23, I couldn’t even strike up a conversation with a woman let alone perform on one of baseball’s biggest stages. If Severino had a high ERA after 50 playoff games, then we could find a logical reason for it. But there’s no basis for dismissing a pitcher over one bad outing. Instead, there’s literally a million examples of a pitcher having one bad outing and bouncing back from that experience. After that disastrous playoff debut, Severino bounced back and allowed three runs over seven innings in his next start against Cleveland. Severino has learned from that outing against the Twins and has grown into a more mature pitcher.

But Oakland backers still aren’t done reminding us of their tiny samples sizes. They point out that Severino’s last start in Oakland was also a disaster. If they had done a little bit of reading, they would see that catcher Gary Sanchez had just been activated from the DL. Sanchez was struggling behind the plate and was having communication and catching issues with his respective pitcher. So it’s not like Severino can’t pitch against Oakland—he allowed one run over six innings against them in May. His 1.83 FIP in that outing indicates that he pitched well and didn’t rely on luck. Furthermore, his career ERA is lowest with Sanchez at the plate, 3.00. Sanchez, in that one time frame in early September, was having issues readjusting to post-DL life. Yankee manager Aaron Boone has forgotten that one debacle, just like he forgot Severino’s debacle against Minnesota last year. And so should you.

Severino has conceded only four runs in his last three starts. He’s excelled against quality competition, conceding one run in seven innings against Boston. Severino will also excel against Oakland because he matches up well with them in two crucial aspects. The A’s rank 22nd in slugging in September against Severino’s two favorite pitches—the fastball and slider—from righties. Moreover, Severino’s most prominent feature is his velocity. His fastball averages between 95 and 100 mph. Oakland slugs .292 as a team against the 95-100 mph fastball from righties. .292 makes them second-to-last in the category.

Even if Severino struggles or if the game remains close late, New York boasts the fourth-best bullpen in terms of ERA. Chad Green and closers Zach Britton and Aroldis Chapman have lately been shutting down opponents on a consistent basis. Jonathan Holder has been untouchable at home.

On the offensive side of things, New York batters have accrued success against Oakland’s relief pitcher Liam Hendriks, who will start for Oakland. They’re batting .316 and slugging .526 against him. Against Oakland pitching as a whole, the Yanks have succeeded in New York, producing 18 runs in three games. New York won its home series against Oakland, two games to one. The Yanks have won nine out of its past 13 games largely thanks to its offense. They’ve produced 33 runs in their past four games. Watch for Miguel Andujar, who is slugging .654 in his past seven days. Aaron Judge is slugging .846 against the A’s. Giancarlo Stanton is slugging 1.000 in his past seven days. They’ve achieved all this success recently despite playing mostly on the road. New York is baseball’s second strongest home team after Boston mostly because of its hitting. But when Severino starts, the Yanks also benefit from strong pitching, which is why they’re a sick 13-2 in Severino’s home starts, yielding +7 units.

Although the playoffs haven’t been kind to the Yankees in recent history, they did win their last Wild Card game 8-4 last season against the Twins. This is a storied franchise with at least 16 more World Series wins than anybody else, 27 overall. Expectations are always high and this year’s roster has the power to live up to those expectations.

I was forced by my bosses to focus on Yanks and back them. So please don‘t say I sound like a homer. Hopefully this article provides a ton of useful info and a single perspective. Its not like I lied at all or was deceiving in any way or pulled any rhetorical tricks or anything of the sort

Too juiced. Tend to lean to the team w no pressure and nothing to lose at fat odds in these 1 game deals., like the over prob better tho.

Obviously I can’t speak for why others bet what they do but don’t ya think Sevi relatively poor form since the asb has at least as much or more to do in fading him as a game from last season does? He has lost a lot of games as a huge fav since asb, someone told me he has looked better of late (I havnt followed in sept at all) but he did get bombed by this A’s squad back in early sept.

Obviously I can’t speak for why others bet what they do but don’t ya think Sevi relatively poor form since the asb has at least as much or more to do in fading him as a game from last season does? He has lost a lot of games as a huge fav since asb, someone told me he has looked better of late (I havnt followed in sept at all) but he did get bombed by this A’s squad back in early sept.

I address both in article :)

Didn’t finish it all before posting, can’t wait to hear myself talk! Lol. I read whole thing now :)

I just can’t lay -170 or more in a one game playoff. Dunno if I wanna back Oakland either. Suppose could go yanks rl, I don’t think it gonna be a pitching duel in that bandbox..

I think you be my favorite narcissist Dan :)

Hendricks will only pitch 1 maybe 2 innings as the opener, like TB was doing this year. My guess is Fiers will basically be the starter. My personal opinion if his rest was ok they should have thrown Jackson.

Hendricks will only pitch 1 maybe 2 innings as the opener, like TB was doing this year. My guess is Fiers will basically be the starter. My personal opinion if his rest was ok they should have thrown Jackson.

Edwin been really good huh? I’ve heard few ppl say same thing and couldn’t help but chuckle, apparently times have really changed! For years Edwin was one my favorite gas cans to pick on!! Lol..

Problem w oak doing the pen game thing is I feel like that all but guarantees we gonna see Rodney and familia. Can’t trust those dudes in a big game! Hence over for me :)

Edwin been really good huh? I’ve heard few ppl say same thing and couldn’t help but chuckle, apparently times have really changed! For years Edwin was one my favorite gas cans to pick on!! Lol..

Problem w oak doing the pen game thing is I feel like that all but guarantees we gonna see Rodney and familia. Can’t trust those dudes in a big game! Hence over for me :)

Edwin has been solid for them, I mean Fiers has as well, but imo if you wanted to throw Fiers you should just start him from the jump unless Hendricks just has sick success career wise vs the yanks top of the order, which I don’t believe he does.

I like both pens in this game, I do think we see runs tho in that band box

Edwin has been solid for them, I mean Fiers has as well, but imo if you wanted to throw Fiers you should just start him from the jump unless Hendricks just has sick success career wise vs the yanks top of the order, which I don’t believe he does.

I like both pens in this game, I do think we see runs tho in that band box

Pens are definitely strong but with oak going pen game from jump feel like it a foregone conclusion we see familia and rodney and I don’t trust either in a big game. Feel like with oak running out 5-6 guys only a matter of time till they bring 1 in who gets lit up. Other side I think A’s can do some damage early vs sevi. Ultimately before lines came out I wrote down -170-180 and 9-115 for the numbers so felt like I should just grab the 8.5 since I had higher. I don’t think it gonna be a slugfest or anything but both scoring 4 seems reasonable-ish, lol.

I think v-cav is right but I hope he's wrong. I watched Sevi pitch one of his last games and he looked pretty dam good to me. He's got that slider or slurve or whatever it is that looks like a strike and then falls off the plate, basically unhittable if he's got it going. I don't buy into NY's pen being a strength though, they get hit a lot and chapman is a head case. If yanks win I think it will be with their bats. But realistically it's one baseball game so who knows?

With the deep rested Yankee pen, id expect Severino’s leash to be 2 turns through the lineup even if he’s going well. Feels like an under with neither lineup getting comfortable.

I have no confidence as a Yankee fan that Severino won’t give up at least 2 though. Even with his recent slight bounce back he hasn’t dominated guys since July.

With the deep rested Yankee pen, id expect Severino’s leash to be 2 turns through the lineup even if he’s going well. Feels like an under with neither lineup getting comfortable.

I have no confidence as a Yankee fan that Severino won’t give up at least 2 though. Even with his recent slight bounce back he hasn’t dominated guys since July.

Severino got slapped around last year in the playoffs by the twins as well. I don’t trust him in a big spot agsinst a team that can hit. Yanks will win or lose bc of offense, not pitching.

Yes, he’s pitched well his last 3 starts, but still had an ERA over 5.5 since the all star break. Oak lit him up just about a month ago, he didn’t get out of the 3rd inning. I’d be impressed if he gives you 5 innings tomorrow, but that’s why it’s called gambling

Yes, he’s pitched well his last 3 starts, but still had an ERA over 5.5 since the all star break. Oak lit him up just about a month ago, he didn’t get out of the 3rd inning. I’d be impressed if he gives you 5 innings tomorrow, but that’s why it’s called gambling

Sanchez was having catcher issues, it wasn't Sevi. It was Sanchez who just came off the DL. Who fucked up the signs and other catcher assignments (I talk about this in my article) Anyways Sevi FIP was really low that game and he also dominated Oakland in the only time they faced in Yankee Stadium

Sanchez was having catcher issues, it wasn't Sevi. It was Sanchez who just came off the DL. Who fucked up the signs and other catcher assignments (I talk about this in my article) Anyways Sevi FIP was really low that game and he also dominated Oakland in the only time they faced in Yankee Stadium

True. I’ll give you that, but Sanchez will be catching him tomorrow and still sucks defensively. You’re a much better mlb capper than I am, most likely I’ll stay away or get involved in game, so I hope you win bro, I just don’t trust Sevi, if I were a yanks fan I’d be much more comfortable if they went w Happ.

True. I’ll give you that, but Sanchez will be catching him tomorrow and still sucks defensively. You’re a much better mlb capper than I am, most likely I’ll stay away or get involved in game, so I hope you win bro, I just don’t trust Sevi, if I were a yanks fan I’d be much more comfortable if they went w Happ.

Sevi career low era with Sanchez behind plate tho. Thanks dawg

I don't understand Yankee fans attitude about Sevi. It's like my buddies at my club that are Yankee fan, they expect every pitcher and every batter to be perfect every time and they can't understand why they ever have to lose a game. And when they do lose a game they say whoever may have been responsible sucks. I personally think Sevi is very good. I understand he wasn't that good after the break but baseball is a long energy draining season and these guys go through highs and lows. He has been pretty good his last 3-4 starts I think and he has dynamite stuff when he's on. I can't see how anyone would bet the A's here unless they think that the line is too high and offers value. Yanks ML parlay with an open spot seems like the best bet.

I don't understand Yankee fans attitude about Sevi. It's like my buddies at my club that are Yankee fan, they expect every pitcher and every batter to be perfect every time and they can't understand why they ever have to lose a game. And when they do lose a game they say whoever may have been responsible sucks. I personally think Sevi is very good. I understand he wasn't that good after the break but baseball is a long energy draining season and these guys go through highs and lows. He has been pretty good his last 3-4 starts I think and he has dynamite stuff when he's on. I can't see how anyone would bet the A's here unless they think that the line is too high and offers value. Yanks ML parlay with an open spot seems like the best bet.

I’m not knocking him it’s just stating facts that he slowed down in the second half. He’s a young stud and what he does tonight won’t change that outlook, I think he was he right pick to start the game. But yeah overall, Yankee fans tend to get a little jumpy.

Oakland hit sevi hard this year. He is best on extended rest but he is generally consistent with days. He is harder to hit during day

I was forced by my bosses to focus on Yanks and back them. So please don‘t say I sound like a homer. Hopefully this article provides a ton of useful info and a single perspective. Its not like I lied at all or was deceiving in any way or pulled any rhetorical tricks or anything of the sort

What the fuck is that about? They made you write a pick article and then told you who to pick? That is a fucking terrible spot to put you in. Nothing like having to say something because you're being forced to.

That's fucking bullshit. Tell them ol' Scarf says that should go swallow a grenade for their journalistic "integrity"...or better yet, have them write the fucking article.

That's the bullshit I don't miss about being in the media anymore.

What the fuck is that about? They made you write a pick article and then told you who to pick? That is a fucking terrible spot to put you in. Nothing like having to say something because you're being forced to.

That's fucking bullshit. Tell them ol' Scarf says that should go swallow a grenade for their journalistic "integrity"...or better yet, have them write the fucking article.

That's the bullshit I don't miss about being in the media anymore.

Well I wasn‘t gonna say this bc I don‘t wanna sound like am advertising for another site but the idea was I back Yanks and my colleague backs A‘s so that readers get both perspectives by reading both articles. Obviously my article is much better and I disagree with the idea cause I wish I coulda just capped it myself but yea that was the idea and Scarf they pay me and assign me tasks I already bitched too much about being stuck to baseball as opposed to football so i‘m just doing what I have to

Well I wasn‘t gonna say this bc I don‘t wanna sound like am advertising for another site but the idea was I back Yanks and my colleague backs A‘s so that readers get both perspectives by reading both articles. Obviously my article is much better and I disagree with the idea cause I wish I coulda just capped it myself but yea that was the idea and Scarf they pay me and assign me tasks I already bitched too much about being stuck to baseball as opposed to football so i‘m just doing what I have to

I'm not blaming you, kid. My point is that it's horeshit to come up with a narrative for someone to write and then an opposite narrative for someone to write, just so there are 2 different perspectives.

1. People don't want to waste time on shit they think is fake. That's why so much in the media is such crap. Just listen to Stephen A. , or Skip, or any of these asswipes creating fake fights. I get it. I know how the business works, but it also gets stale fast. Great content is created by genuine belief in something, not artificial BS.

2. It makes the company forcing 2 different perspectives to waste their readers time by going through all of each article. We are a lazy, ignorant society. People don't want to think...they want the answer so they don't have to think. All you end up doing is making the stupid people think the person whose "side" loses is an idiot.

It's bad management, it's piss poor philosophy and it is the epitome of what sports media has become. I wouldn't piss on some of these sports "columnists", "hosts", or "media giants" if they were on fire. It's all BS.

Soooo you don’t actually like the yanks tonight do ya? Lol

I think v-cav is right but I hope he's wrong. I watched Sevi pitch one of his last games and he looked pretty dam good to me. He's got that slider or slurve or whatever it is that looks like a strike and then falls off the plate, basically unhittable if he's got it going. I don't buy into NY's pen being a strength though, they get hit a lot and chapman is a head case. If yanks win I think it will be with their bats. But realistically it's one baseball game so who knows?

Surprised total dropped to 8 at that bandbox, not letting yesterday’s snooze fest of terrible abs deter me, back to well w over in this one for me.

Surprised total dropped to 8 at that bandbox, not letting yesterday’s snooze fest of terrible abs deter me, back to well w over in this one for me.

Like it as well. See sevi going 5 giving up 3 runs at best, and it’ll be the shit show bullpen game from Oakland. Probably Hendriks, then Fiers, I think yanks get runs. Just hopefully before it’s the back end of oak pen

Suppose I could be looking at this wrong, while I tend to think this open game stuff lends itself to them bringing in a guy who doesn’t have it and getting knocked around I guess the flip side is it prob sucks as a batter to see a different pitcher every at bat.. just knowing we will most likely see familia and Rodney, for sure one of them, makes me think there gonna be some runs at some point. I def don’t see A’s coming in and getting shut down for 9 innings, really believe they will take good abs and get opportune hits when they need them. I really like both teams to score 4.

There was a long stretch where he got lit up and lit up early. He completely lost it. There is a lack of trust because of how bad he was in that stretch. Cashman made this call based on bullshitmetrics.

If you’re bored make a case for over/under lol

Pretty easy to make a case for both actually, clearly I’m bettin it as a degenerate and entertainment more so than thinking I actually have a edge! Lol. I really hope this pen game crap isn’t a trend we start seeing more and more of, sadly im afraid it might be but personally I find these to be very tough to cap!

Tough to cap, but I love it. I keep thinking about the article someone wrote here earlier about the A’s doing this 9 times in September with a 1.86 ERA. I think it’s a big disadvantage for the Yanks to see so many pitchers, pitches, arm angles, styles and it’s not like they are the most patient bunch at the plate.

This factor along with what Severino we see tonight may make me wait for Live action plays.

Tough to cap, but I love it. I keep thinking about the article someone wrote here earlier about the A’s doing this 9 times in September with a 1.86 ERA. I think it’s a big disadvantage for the Yanks to see so many pitchers, pitches, arm angles, styles and it’s not like they are the most patient bunch at the plate.

This factor along with what Severino we see tonight may make me wait for Live action plays.

Yea I certainly see that point about it being tough for hitters to see a different pitcher every ab. At same time I feel like using so many guys lends itself to one or 2 not being on that day and getting shelled, I suppose that might come down to how short a leash the manager has? Maybe if you don’t like what you see from a guy you simply yank him quick and go w someone else?? Honestly it comes down to 2 guys that worry me, Rodney and familia, seems like we have to see them and I don’t trust either in a big game. I truely believe A’s will grind out good abs and manage to get about 4. All it takes a few walks by one those pen guys then a bomb when new pitcher comes in for yanks to hit that number themselves... no matter how it ends up going I’m at least fairly confident we will at least see some quality abs tonight opposed to yesterday where outside of parra it was one garbage ab after another, Freeland could still be pitching and just approaching 100 pitches!! Lol

Haha yeah those Cubs ABs last night were dreadful.

Oakland has lowest wOBA in the league vs high velocity pitchers. I had to look up what this stat even was.

A’s 62-29 since mid-June.

I’m not knocking him it’s just stating facts that he slowed down in the second half. He’s a young stud and what he does tonight won’t change that outlook, I think he was he right pick to start the game. But yeah overall, Yankee fans tend to get a little jumpy.

You can find any random date range and say he slowed down or looked good. Yea he had a rough patch at a point during the 2h which killed his 2h numbers but lately hes been great. A half a season is a lot of time to be talking about

Last edited:
Good write up , yanks -1.5 for me . Can’t see them not winning by 2+ runs or more . Honestly i can see yanks in a blowout

Back