Babcock to the Sabres

• Thread starter Thread starter Lareux
  • Start date Start date
L

Lareux

Supposed to be official by tonight. He's not waiting until Wednesday. Once again, Uncle Terry gets what he wants.

Hearing it's 6 years $40+ million on the contract. That's a fuck ton of money.

money talks...i guess, i cant comprehend that kind of coin but tonite they said it was 6mil /sea where Det offered 3.25 i think

money talks...i guess, i cant comprehend that kind of coin but tonite they said it was 6mil /sea where Det offered 3.25 i think

Yeah, and that 3.25 million would have made him the highest paid coach in the NHL.

Blashill waiting in Grand Rapids. Fun fact. He and I arrived at Ferris at the same time. He sat behind me in study table and we went in together on some bets that first semester frosh year.

Blashill waiting in Grand Rapids. Fun fact. He and I arrived at Ferris at the same time. He sat behind me in study table and we went in together on some bets that first semester frosh year.

Another fun fact. His brother Tim was in same dorm as me our first year at Fredonia, so we ended up hanging out all 3 years we were there...he played for the Soo in Jr's, and always talked about his bro and Ferris St, always wore this Ferris St. pullover. We called him Blash, and a few times he pissed the bed when he got drunk (okay, more than a few)...the mattress would be in the hallway in the am, and you knew what went down. Great dude, only talked to him a few times since college though...we had a blast.

kind of surprised, all the stories have been he doesn't want to lose for long but this Buffalo team for me is at least 2-3 years away from even sneaking in to the playffs

that roster is gutted, Eichel/Reinhart a good twosome to build around, but no NHL ready depth, no D, no goalie

kind of surprised, all the stories have been he doesn't want to lose for long but this Buffalo team for me is at least 2-3 years away from even sneaking in to the playffs

that roster is gutted, Eichel/Reinhart a good twosome to build around, but no NHL ready depth, no D, no goalie

No goalie, but can get one in FA if you have to, but a "big time" goalie isn't necessary to win a Cup anyway.

Evander Kane, Moulson, Girgensons, Ennis, and it looks like Grigerenko has finally realized what he needs to do to be an NHL player. Plenty of young talent on defense as well...Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pysyk, maybe Ruhwedel, with a few vets right now in Bagosian, Weber, Meszaros, and Gorges...but again, Uncle Terry will spend money, if necessary, on defensemen.

You're right, they're a couple years out from being in the mix (not simply making the playoffs), but he's getting double what he would have received (and that was to be the highest paid coach in the NHL) from Detroit, who hasn't made it past the first round since 2009 to begin with.

No goalie, but can get one in FA if you have to, but a "big time" goalie isn't necessary to win a Cup anyway.

Evander Kane, Moulson, Girgensons, Ennis, and it looks like Grigerenko has finally realized what he needs to do to be an NHL player. Plenty of young talent on defense as well...Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pysyk, maybe Ruhwedel, with a few vets right now in Bagosian, Weber, Meszaros, and Gorges...but again, Uncle Terry will spend money, if necessary, on defensemen.

You're right, they're a couple years out from being in the mix (not simply making the playoffs), but he's getting double what he would have received (and that was to be the highest paid coach in the NHL) from Detroit, who hasn't made it past the first round since 2009 to begin with.

I'd disagree with your goalie comment; look back on all the champions in the recent years, let's say you go back to 2003 and the winning/runner up goalies were one of the tops in the league...for me goalies go a LONG way else the leafs wouldn't be that bad if that were the case....

Forwards look okay, need to add a few pieces I'd say.. Ennis is a great catch for you guys and i've always been a Kane fan when he's not being a primadonna..

Dmen: not sure i'm a huge fan of your young talent but they may be serviceable....Mesz is getting up there in age..

For me, only logic is the notion of more money..his wife didn't want to be in a place like Edmonton cause it was so small, guess Buffalo is big enough for her?

I'd disagree with your goalie comment; look back on all the champions in the recent years, let's say you go back to 2003 and the winning/runner up goalies were one of the tops in the league...for me goalies go a LONG way else the leafs wouldn't be that bad if that were the case....

Forwards look okay, need to add a few pieces I'd say.. Ennis is a great catch for you guys and i've always been a Kane fan when he's not being a primadonna..

Dmen: not sure i'm a huge fan of your young talent but they may be serviceable....Mesz is getting up there in age..

For me, only logic is the notion of more money..his wife didn't want to be in a place like Edmonton cause it was so small, guess Buffalo is big enough for her?

Corey Crawford won a Cup. Thought it was a pretty universal notion now in the NHL that you don't need a stud goalie...teams that win usually get a hot goalie, but not sure they have to be elite. It helps, just saying it's not necessary.

2004 Khabibulin
2006 Cam Ward
2007 JS Giguere
2009 Fleury
2010 Niemi
2011 Tim Thomas
2013 Crawford

And Quick is in there twice. Not many of those names scream elite goalie. You disagree?

2004 Khabibulin
2006 Cam Ward
2007 JS Giguere
2009 Fleury
2010 Niemi
2011 Tim Thomas
2013 Crawford

And Quick is in there twice. Not many of those names scream elite goalie. You disagree?
they were all tops in the league and considered elite during that time.

maybe not bulin, but the rest were in my opinion the shift of goalies from the likes of hasek/osgoode

Corey Crawford won a Cup. Thought it was a pretty universal notion now in the NHL that you don't need a stud goalie...teams that win usually get a hot goalie, but not sure they have to be elite. It helps, just saying it's not necessary.

I understand your point, just think if you can have "elite" anywhere it's in net, you can get forward/defensemen chipping in more....but i guess we need to define elite

[TABLE="width: 600"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;">[TR]
[TD]Player[/TD]
[TD]Team[/TD]
[TD]2014-15 Cap Hit[/TD]
[TD]2014-15 Salary[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Antti Niemi[/TD]
[TD]SJS[/TD]
[TD]$3,800,000[/TD]
[TD]$4,000,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Viktor Fasth[/TD]
[TD]EDM[/TD]
[TD]$2,900,000[/TD]
[TD]$3,400,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Karri Ramo[/TD]
[TD]CGY[/TD]
[TD]$2,750,000[/TD]
[TD]$2,900,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Michal Neuvirth[/TD]
[TD]BUF[/TD]
[TD]$2,500,000[/TD]
[TD]$2,600,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Josh Harding[/TD]
[TD]MIN[/TD]
[TD]$1,900,000[/TD]
[TD]$2,100,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jonas Gustavsson[/TD]
[TD]DET[/TD]
[TD]$1,850,000[/TD]
[TD]$1,850,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Evgeni Nabokov[/TD]
[TD]TBL[/TD]
[TD]$1,550,000[/TD]
[TD]$1,550,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Peter Budaj[/TD]
[TD]WPG[/TD]
[TD]$1,400,000[/TD]
[TD]$1,400,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jhonas Enroth[/TD]
[TD]BUF[/TD]
[TD]$1,250,000[/TD]
[TD]$1,250,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Thomas Greiss[/TD]
[TD]PIT[/TD]
[TD]$1,000,000[/TD]
[TD]$1,000,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Ray Emery[/TD]
[TD]PHI[/TD]
[TD]$1,000,000[/TD]
[TD]$1,000,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Dan Ellis[/TD]
[TD]FLA[/TD]
[TD]$900,000[/TD]
[TD]$1,000,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Devan Dubnyk[/TD]
[TD]ARI[/TD]
[TD]$800,000[/TD]
[TD]$800,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Jason LaBarbera[/TD]
[TD]ANA[/TD]
[TD]$750,000[/TD]
[TD]$750,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]David Leggio[/TD]
[TD]NYI[/TD]
[TD]$700,000[/TD]
[TD]$700,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Curtis McElhinney[/TD]
[TD]CLB[/TD]
[TD]$650,000[/TD]
[TD]$650,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Richard Bachman[/TD]
[TD]EDM[/TD]
[TD]$615,000[/TD]
[TD]$615,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Joey MacDonald[/TD]
[TD]MTL[/TD]
[TD]$600,000[/TD]
[TD]$600,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Rob Zepp[/TD]
[TD]PHI[/TD]
[TD]$600,000[/TD]
[TD]$600,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Scott Clemmensen[/TD]
[TD]NJD[/TD]
[TD]$600,000[/TD]
[TD]$600,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Drew MacIntyre[/TD]
[TD]CAR[/TD]
[TD]$600,000[/TD]
[TD]$600,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]John Curry[/TD]
[TD]MIN[/TD]
[TD]$575,000[/TD]
[TD]$575,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Cam Talbot[/TD]
[TD]NYR[/TD]
[TD]$562,000[/TD]
[TD]$575,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Mike McKenna[/TD]
[TD]ARI[/TD]
[TD]$550,000[/TD]
[TD]$550,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Michael Leighton[/TD]
[TD]CHI[/TD]
[TD]$550,000[/TD]
[TD]$550,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Brad Thiessen[/TD]
[TD]CGY[/TD]
[TD]$550,000[/TD]
[TD]$550,000[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD]Anders Lindback[/TD]
[TD]DAL[/TD]
[TD]$463,000[/TD]
[TD]$925,000[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

of that list, who would you sign to man the net for the team? not being a dick, just asking don't think I trust anyone

From that list of forwards the only one I really like is Kane, the others played 1st line minutes last year and put up low 2nd line point totals, and by the time Eichel/Reinhart are ready to contend most are past their prime

Girgensons is young and actually could develop in to a good middle 6 C

They do have a ton of picks as well, it's just thats never guaranteed anything

look at Edmonton the last decade, Florida is just starting to put it together after a decade really of top 5-10 picks

others like the Hurricanes, Avs, Islanders, Lightning, Isles etc. were stuck for a long time

that's only reason why it surprises me, because I do think they are at least 3 seasons away (2018/19) at the earliest of making the playoffs, and even then it's not a certainty

if I were him I would have taken a year off

Also I hope for Sabres fans and Babcock that he's getting some personnel control

Dont trust Tim Murray after he said that Nolan was fired because the team wasnt good enough this year, when Murray built the tankiest team that ever tanked

2004 Khabibulin
2006 Cam Ward
2007 JS Giguere
2009 Fleury
2010 Niemi
2011 Tim Thomas
2013 Crawford

Giguere and Thomas definitely

Fleury/Niemi/Crawford had either the best center combo in Sid/Geno we have had since the late 80's, or were playing behind the closest thing we have to a dynasty

Quick's not elite either

I don't think you need an elite goalie, just saying they don't even have a decent one

going to Toronto would be the same situation as Buffalo except worse

all you have to build around is Nylander + Marner or Strome + what trading Kessel and Phaneuf gets you

good young D though

Also I hope for Sabres fans and Babcock that he's getting some personnel control

Dont trust Tim Murray after he said that Nolan was fired because the team wasnt good enough this year, when Murray built the tankiest team that ever tanked

He didn't say that's why Nolan was fired. It was well known they didn't get along at all, and Nolan was gone after the season.

"I don't think it was a bad fit. I don't think it was a great fit," Murray said. "Maybe it's just chemistry. Maybe it's just two different personalities."

Murray also felt the move to fire Nolan, a little more than a year after the coach signed a three-year contract, was needed to improve a team in the midst of a rebuilding process.
"I know this isn't a popular thing," Murray said. "To me, it's about getting better. I feel this was an opportunity for us to improve and keep improving. And that's certainly no disrespect to Ted."

"We said we hoped it would work, and we would try to make it work," Murray said. "There were no big fights or arguments or anything like that. There might have been a somewhat lack of communication, and that's as much on me as him."

From the press conference whwre he fired nolan

John Vogl
GM Tim Murray reiterates that he didn't see Sabres as a 30th-place team and Ted Nolan may have been kept on with better finish, improvements

He been gone. Wish nothing but success. Had a good run. Just not worth that much cash. Jmo.

Yeah, he definitely made mention of that. It wasn't a secret around here to read between the lines from all of his other comments, and the way he and Nolan battled twice in the media. He wasn't gonna be here even if the Sabres won 10 more games.

Murray also barely kept a straight face when saying what you posted, as he clearly knew they were a 30th place team...he constructed them for that sole purpose.

Good for a hockey starved winner like Toronto.
yes and no....

Teed mentioned it, but they are a ways away even the magician that Babcock is will be hard pressed to start and the media loves to feast on the coaches something that didn' thappen alot in Detroit until maybe this year

Yea I mentioned above he's not a rebuilding kind of guy so it will be interesting.

Yea I mentioned above he's not a rebuilding kind of guy so it will be interesting.
yep read that, but i hate what the city will do with this news...they will call it a second coming and set their expecations wayyy tooo high and then when he fails to meet cause of the rebuild, they will shit on a VERY good coach.

Probably. He's the best in the business, grass is greener on the other side I guess. He's being greedy and obviously in it for the money.

Detroit has the new arena going up in 2017 and 24 straight playoff appearances, but it is what it is.

Probably. He's the best in the business, grass is greener on the other side I guess. He's being greedy and obviously in it for the money.

Detroit has the new arena going up in 2017 and 24 straight playoff appearances, but it is what it is.

As great a Franchise as Detroit is, Toronto is King by far. You know coaches are all about ego. If Babcock goes and wins a Cup there, every street in the province will be called babcock street, every kid will be named mike, statues everywhere. There will never be a bigger party than downtown Toronto when the Leafs win a cup. The fucking Province will shut the fuck down for a couple days.

As great a Franchise as Detroit is, Toronto is King by far. You know coaches are all about ego. If Babcock goes and wins a Cup there, every street in the province will be called babcock street, every kid will be named mike, statues everywhere. There will never be a bigger party than downtown Toronto when the Leafs win a cup. The fucking Province will shut the fuck down for a couple days.

I do need an extra vacay day, so the win helps.

Toronto hasn't done shit in like 50 years dude. Lol come on.

But yeah he's the messiah if you win with the likes of Ryan Kessler and Dion phaneuf leading the team

Back