B1G Week 4

I was listening to an IU podcast praising Pinix for actually having arm strength and complementing Ramsey by doing things he can‘t. Ramsey, for all his strengths as an accurate and mobile passer, limits IU‘s passing game

If I bet Indiana I want Ramsey, he gives them their best chance to win games now I think. I actually felt like I had a slim chance to get back under the spread when they brought Pinix in last week. But IU D kept doing what they did and IU running game kicked in. Pinix seemed good vs FIU, can't remember if I saw him vs UVA in the rain and last week Ramsey just had a great game. I would think vs Michigan State Ramsey would be their ticket if they are going to win. Always tough for these teams when they have 2 QBs they want to play.

Purdue lots of new pieces on D?

Yeah, last year the D was really the story. People like to talk about the Brohm O and trick plays, but most of their good games were because of the D. This year the D hasn't been there as often and the O has flashed but is inconsistent and turnover prone.

Warming up to Buffalo. I think Ash might be losing the locker room. Best defensive player having season-ending surgery and sending tweets LOLing at Ash after getting drubbed by Kansas.

Iowa has performed better than wisky and getting pts at home. They shutdown isu’s wrs. Isu has a very good group of receivers. They should be able to just key on the run

Cant believe Iowa is only dogged by three tho. Makes perfect sense given last year‘s spread but didn‘t they lose relatively much during the offseason? Like their team leader on defense

I like Maryland off the loss. Minny will make them work for it though, tough team them Gophers.

Wisconsin was -10 game of year line I believe. I would've liked Iowa, but now at 3 I don't like them so much with Badgers losing last week. That was why I was trying to find reasons to take BYU last week because this is what can happen. I eye a potential upset next week, but then an unexpected upset happens the current week and zaps all the value out of the number. Plus it totally shifts the intangibles about the game. I feel much less confident betting against Wisconsin off a loss than I would've had they come in here undefeated yet vulnerable. Now they got exposed and it cost them...I'd just rather take Iowa under the other circumstances better.

I like Maryland off the loss. Minny will make them work for it though, tough team them Gophers.

Wisconsin was -10 game of year line I believe. I would've liked Iowa, but now at 3 I don't like them so much with Badgers losing last week. That was why I was trying to find reasons to take BYU last week because this is what can happen. I eye a potential upset next week, but then an unexpected upset happens the current week and zaps all the value out of the number. Plus it totally shifts the intangibles about the game. I feel much less confident betting against Wisconsin off a loss than I would've had they come in here undefeated yet vulnerable. Now they got exposed and it cost them...I'd just rather take Iowa under the other circumstances better.
Yeah, this game is an absolute no touch for me (well, all Wisky games are) but in general to even cap it. There is no value in the line, as of now, imo. I think this should bee an absolute dogfight that will not be pretty at all. I am excited to see Iowa play a good team (no offense ISU) though.

The most interesting match up this week may well be Purdue vs BC. This is such a pivotal game for the Boilers and BC is coming in pretty red hot at this point. That is a lot of points to be giving up is my first thought...

No touches on Iowa Wisky as stated above....

Michigan State and Indiana... I almost lean to the Spartans if I can get to -3. I think this line would be a lot different two weeks ago. But, IU is such a pest at Memorial.

Yeah, Buffalo.

Minnesota and Maryland feels like a very close, ugly ass game. Obviously the Terps faltered last week but this would be a good bounceback win. At the same point, this would be a very good road win for row the boat. Interesting game, no betting angles for me though. Under?

OSU in a sammich spot. This might be the week to avoid altogether, or they could score 50 with relative ease. It shall be interesting to see a Bosa-less defense.

Was in Vegas and had a big pick 8 ML Parlay to win $1,500. One loser, Twerps. Same ole shit.

Had OSU to close out some others, but boy did they look like shit to me too for most of that game.

PSU getting all this media love, because they stomped Pitt, ok. Stomped Kent St at home, who cares. App St will be one of the best teams they played all year though because a. App St is fucking good b. the little 10 is not.

Didn't see much of Michigan game until second half. Same shit, defense getting burned is disheartening. Win 9, move on. At least we got a big time recruit. Just stay relevant.

The most interesting match up this week may well be Purdue vs BC. This is such a pivotal game for the Boilers and BC is coming in pretty red hot at this point. That is a lot of points to be giving up is my first thought...

No touches on Iowa Wisky as stated above....

Michigan State and Indiana... I almost lean to the Spartans if I can get to -3. I think this line would be a lot different two weeks ago. But, IU is such a pest at Memorial.

Yeah, Buffalo.

Minnesota and Maryland feels like a very close, ugly ass game. Obviously the Terps faltered last week but this would be a good bounceback win. At the same point, this would be a very good road win for row the boat. Interesting game, no betting angles for me though. Under?

OSU in a sammich spot. This might be the week to avoid altogether, or they could score 50 with relative ease. It shall be interesting to see a Bosa-less defense.

Gophers will not be rolling up points, I can tell you that. Under until I see anything different. Lots of speed on defense - it should be a close one. Last week's under was a gift but I think the lines are going to reflect that more and more going forward.

I too like Maryland off the loss. Starting about now I look to fade undefeated teams playing against a team which has already experienced a loss.
Also playing Buff, Purdue, and leaning Iowa.
Not interested in the “ big three” .

Leaning Iowa goes against the grain of betting against unbeaten teams. And Wisconsin comes off disappointing loss to BYU, but that not a ‘ big’ game and also inconsequential in the ultimate reward - which of these two teams becomes cannon fodder for tOSU in the B1G playoff.
Need help. Also need help on Indy / Sparta. Same comment as Indiana re unbeaten teams . But how good are Sparty and Wisky ?
I have seen none of these play this year.

So.. @cubsker any updates on Martinez ?

He's practiced all 3 days. I had heard early in the week that he hadn't been running and had a bag of ice on his knee after practice. QB coach said he was full go today. Frost says game time decision which he said last week. That certainly was false and I feel it is again false this week. I had put chances Monday at 30 percent he plays. I would up that to 51 percent today, but I'm just trying to read the tea leaves.

On iowa v wisky, I dont see how they are making wisky a td on a neutral. Nothing I have seen in 3 weeks indicates wisky is better than iowa. I'd make this game a pk with a lean to the hawks.

On iowa v wisky, I dont see how they are making wisky a td on a neutral. Nothing I have seen in 3 weeks indicates wisky is better than iowa. I'd make this game a pk with a lean to the hawks.

Exactly. The line is based too much on last year.

Sparty after by week:

2017: 38-18 loss vs Notre Dame

2015: 39-38 loss at Nebraska

2014: 49-37 loss vs Ohio State

2012: 23-20 loss vs Northwestern

Plenty of examples to show that Dantonio after a bye week is far from a guaranteed win/cover

Took notes on couple Sparty/IU podcasts and beefed it with some of my research:

Sparty O very deliberate, will huddle. Want to slow game down. Establish the run. Keep game low-scoring.

Offensive line play a disaster: four returning starters, but LT Chewins missed two games so far (he's still listed as questionable) and center been rotation, both centers been getting blasted. Lack of confidence--youth: experienced guys (Chewins and Beedle) with injury issues. Missing center Brian Allen. Lacking leadership at o-line. Need to get protection. Key to find balance on offense. Sparty hasn't been able to run the ball, can't find time for QB to throw. USU (Sparty right tackle got killed) and ASU got some decent pressure. Offense majorly on Lewerke's shoulders. IU: three sacks vs Ball State, last year three sacks vs Wiscy, Sparty, Maryland. IU D been very effective when at least getting a lot of hurries.

Sparty strength: Lewerke and receivers (but also protection issue). IU D ranked 8th nationally against the pass (soft schedule: FIU, UVa with dual-threat, Ball State) Senior leader Crawford at safety who leads team with 15 tackles, also has 2 TFL, one sack, one pick six. Two experienced corners in Riggins and Brown

MSU weakness (run game) = IU weakness. Young defense allowing 4.8 YPC. FIU ran pretty well, UVA had dual-threat quarterback, Ball State, though, had 200 yards rushing and gashed Indiana with explosive run plays (13, 14, 15, 25 yard runs) which is supposed to be a key trait of IU coach Tom Allen to stop. But Sparty couldn‘t even run vs ASU who let SD State run for 311 yards and who has new DC and lost major pieces to d-line. LJ Scott hamstring probably ok

Defense: Top d-back Josiah Scott still missing, hurting pass defense. Layne holding his own against the best of the best (ie Harry). The problem is really the linebackers in pass coverage.

Run D looking great statistically but hasn't faced even the tiniest semblance of a formidable rush attack--opponents attacking through the pass. For example: Utah State's leading rusher 25 yards, 25 carries but QB Jordan Love moved ball downfield at will. ASU leading carrier 4.3 YPC.But interestingly, run is IU's focus. Will be hard to run against Sparty. Sparty: returning basically almost everyone on front 7. Stevie Scott power back for IU great start to the season, great for possession-oriented team, been huge component after injury to starting back Gest and suspension of rb Ellison, but also weak schedule so far, too much on freshman's shoulders against Sparty? But will be helped by veteran o-line returning everyone from a year ago. Great rotation of 8 or 9 guys. Unlike last year, staying healthy

IU needs to succeed in passing game (like USU, ASU)

IU loves up tempo (rare for Big 10 schools) and tempo has made Sparty's defense struggle in both games so far. Should exploit Sparty with quick passes out to flats. Deep group of receivers led by Hale and Westbrook (6-3 and 6-4), Sparty struggling to get pressure on quarterback. Put in bold because I feel like this is the key for IU here. Ramsey doesn't throw downfield but he doesn't need to. He can build rhythm with underneath throws against Sparty linebackers who since last year (see dink and dunk disaster vs NW) have proven to be weak in pass coverage. Much like USU and ASU.

IU plays Sparty very tough historically

Special teams: Punter out, quarterback will punt. IU has dangerous punt returner.

Up in the air: Sparty typically lays an egg in opener and then had to deal with Desert. Are the for real? How good is Stevie Scott really? Paltry Sparty rush attack vs young and struggling IU run defense.

A game worth watching to find things out about Sparty rush attack and IU run defense.

2016 again for Sparty?

Sparty off bye week means nothing based on recent history.

Broader scope:

Point total when LJ Scott averages fewer than 4 YPC. since 2017: 35 against Bowling Green, 17 vs Iowa, 17 vs Indiana, 17 vs Northwestern (thru 4Q) 27 vs Penn State, 3 vs Ohio State, 40 vs Rutgers, 38 vs Utah State, 13 vs Arizona State.

Penn State is the one conference exception here. PSU was deflated after the huge loss against Ohio State, had to hold a players-only meeting, totally lacked motivation. Lewerke threw for 400 yards there. Then Rutgers and Bowling Green

But otherwise we see no more than 17 points against a Power 5 school (not including Rutgers) when Scott can't run.

Let's see the defenses (in terms of 2017 opposing YPC) Sparty rush attack was dealing with: Bowling Green 128th, Iowa 49th, Indiana 38th, Northwestern 9th, Penn State 15th, Ohio State 3rd, Utah State was 79th last year (got gashed by Wiscy and Wake, but returned significant experience in front 7) Arizona State was 99th last year (5 YPC both home in desert and away) and lost significant pieces in front 7

Success running against: Minnesota 92nd, Western Michigan 69th, Maryland 89th (still only 17 points, game in snow so it was basically run only)

I think Sparty has its best game on the ground against retooling Indy d-line. So closer to 4 ypc. Between pass protection and Indy secondary Lewerke wont have too good of a day despite awesome receivers. I think maybe 23 points? Indy I think has the key on O with passing underneath. Sparty linebackers will have to respect the flats which can create more room up the middle for Stevie Scott, easily Sparty‘s most formidable opposing rush attack. I‘ll say 21-24 points for Indy.

Play: IU +5.5 (will spread keep climbing)

Last edited:
Shady replay overturn of the go-ahead 4th qrt TD by Purdue:

WEST LAFAYETTE, Indiana — A touchdown pass from Purdue quarterback David Blough to Jared Sparks in the back of the end zone was ruled an incompletion late in the fourth quarter.

It took a long review by the officials to review the call.

The Purdue Boilermakers settled for a 26-yard field goal to tie the game 37-37 with 3 minutes, 28 seconds remaining in the fourth quarter.

Missouri won the game 40-37 on a field goal as time expired.

On Thursday, Purdue coach Jeff Brohm said he was informed by Big Ten officials that the touchdown should not have been overturned on replay.

Head Official from Purdue/Mizzou Game Has Troubling Past
https://www.hammerandrails.com/2018...al-from-purdue-mizzou-game-has-troubling-past

Rutgers QB Art Sitkowski has throw 7 INTs this year, 3 have been returned for TDs.

Head coach Chris Ash has cast some doubt on whether Sitkowski will remain the starter for this Saturday’s game against Buffalo, but at this point all signs point to Rutgers sticking with the freshman despite some highly-questionable decisions against Kansas that doomed the Scarlet Knights.

“It looked like he picked a guy and threw it,” McNulty said, adding he believes there were men open on each of the three interceptions Sitkowski threw. “He got stuck on a guy and figured, ‘I’m going to find a way to throw it to him,’ and never got away from it regardless of what the other team was doing."

McNulty said he believes Rutgers’ pass protection and run game performed “good enough to win” at Kansas, and he thinks Sitkowski will eventually realize “we can punt, and we’ll be OK.”

Playing Buffalo, Purdue, Sparty, and Iowa.

Would anyone tell me whom to play Minnny and Terpy ? Thanks

Gun to head, Terps.

One of my strategies is to fade unbeaten teams tha figure to lose 4 or more after the third week of season. Manny fits that like a glove. My uncertainty was having seen how awful Terps were last week. Painful to watch.
Anyway I filled my B1G card with Terps and Hoosiers.
Thanks mr b a r.

Is AJ Bush starting for ILL? He is an ok runner. Not a good passer. They will probably want to run alot with Bush (21 rush att vs Kent St). I don't know much about the Rivers kid. He ran 11x last week, but 5 were sacks.

Okay,

Here are my quick predictions for the conference tomorrow. None are endorsements or should be considered plays by myself but just some general thoughts for the faders...

Maryland to cover vs Minnesota. Yup, I think they get it done in an ugly game. I would say under but this feels like a game with some short fields. I'll still say 23-17 final though.

Michigan and Nebraska is simply a game of unknowns. I am 'guessing' Michigan is missing a RB tomorrow. I also 'think' Martinez starts for NU. Now, his health is the key aspect to any bets here in my opinion. I'd be all over +18 if he was at full health. For now, though I would say the over is a solid play... lets call it Michigan 35-23.

So many variables in the Ohio State game. Obviously they win comfortable but should give up some points as well. Penn State week upcoming so get out of this game healthy first and foremost. We'll go with 48-17.

Purdue and Brohm with their backs to the wall vs AJ and BC. I think Purdue is a live dog here tomorrow. This feels like a game they stay in and could win late. I'll go with Purdue to pull the upset 31-29.

Barfalo heads into Rutgers. It is not going well at OSUe right now for Chris Ash. The number is not there anymore to bet Buffalo but they should win. I seriously have no idea if it will be high or low scoring but I'll say something like Buffalo 30-23.

Michigan State and Indiana renew their fierce rivalry. This is an interesting game. I lean Sparty but would need a better number to bet. I think they get it done here but don't forget the punting situation and issues with OL. I'll still say they get a few of the ole lucky horseshoes to plunge outta their ass and win this one 31-21.

Iowa and Wisconsin should be as fun as getting a haircut on a Sunday night for scoring fans. But, it will be physical football and a night game at Kinnick generally delivers. Wisconsin wins this one in the 4th quarter 17-13. Yeah, I don't see a lot of points here. Good game to live bet the under if there are a couple of 1q scores.

That is it there...

My 3 favorite leans in no order...

-Michigan over
-Purdue ats
-Maryland

Good luck, I'll check back in 7 hours.

Okay,

Here are my quick predictions for the conference tomorrow. None are endorsements or should be considered plays by myself but just some general thoughts for the faders...

Maryland to cover vs Minnesota. Yup, I think they get it done in an ugly game. I would say under but this feels like a game with some short fields. I'll still say 23-17 final though.

Michigan and Nebraska is simply a game of unknowns. I am 'guessing' Michigan is missing a RB tomorrow. I also 'think' Martinez starts for NU. Now, his health is the key aspect to any bets here in my opinion. I'd be all over +18 if he was at full health. For now, though I would say the over is a solid play... lets call it Michigan 35-23.

So many variables in the Ohio State game. Obviously they win comfortable but should give up some points as well. Penn State week upcoming so get out of this game healthy first and foremost. We'll go with 48-17.

Purdue and Brohm with their backs to the wall vs AJ and BC. I think Purdue is a live dog here tomorrow. This feels like a game they stay in and could win late. I'll go with Purdue to pull the upset 31-29.

Barfalo heads into Rutgers. It is not going well at OSUe right now for Chris Ash. The number is not there anymore to bet Buffalo but they should win. I seriously have no idea if it will be high or low scoring but I'll say something like Buffalo 30-23.

Michigan State and Indiana renew their fierce rivalry. This is an interesting game. I lean Sparty but would need a better number to bet. I think they get it done here but don't forget the punting situation and issues with OL. I'll still say they get a few of the ole lucky horseshoes to plunge outta their ass and win this one 31-21.

Iowa and Wisconsin should be as fun as getting a haircut on a Sunday night for scoring fans. But, it will be physical football and a night game at Kinnick generally delivers. Wisconsin wins this one in the 4th quarter 17-13. Yeah, I don't see a lot of points here. Good game to live bet the under if there are a couple of 1q scores.

That is it there...

My 3 favorite leans in no order...

-Michigan over
-Purdue ats
-Maryland

Good luck, I'll check back in 7 hours.

Thanks for the thoughts, BAR. I’ll definitely be playing that Michigan over. Was already leaning that way.

One more thing,

This Iowa-Wisconsin game is obviously huge but think about this...

If Iowa wins tomorrow night they can have another loss in the conference and most likely still tie Wisconsin...

The Badgers have road trips to Ann Arbor and Happy Valley still to come....

Now, I am not discounting the other teams but most likely the trip to Indy could very well be decided tomorrow night.

One more thing,

This Iowa-Wisconsin game is obviously huge but think about this...

If Iowa wins tomorrow night they can have another loss in the conference and most likely still tie Wisconsin...

The Badgers have road trips to Ann Arbor and Happy Valley still to come....

Now, I am not discounting the other teams but most likely the trip to Indy could very well be decided tomorrow night.
Would have been nice to hear teedub's views on this game

I would be surprised if Martinez plays. I hope he does for a better game. Just thinking about the long season and didn't sound like he was 100% this week. Tough place and situation to come in here. Probably wiser for him and longer term future to save him for more winnable games. This line is really no different than it was over the summer, I saw 17 in July.

Back