B1G Week 2 thread

HUNT

CTG Partner
Staff member
Hello

Duke vs NW-Haven't seen much of either, no comment. Let me know what you think. I do know tickets should be cheap if you want to go. 5 dollars a seat to fall asleep.

Ohio vs. PSU-Got to think PSU is a little banged up from that game at Ross-Ade. Gritty win. MAC is horrific this year.

Arkansas State vs Ohio State-Much easier time for bucks in this one. Plus tickets will be cheaper.

Western Illinois vs. Minnesota-Minnesota D is solid. Good team imo.

Maryland vs Charlotte-Who the fuck schedules these shitty ooc games??

Washington State vs. Wisconsin-Long trip for Wazzou, the highlight will be the jump around

Akron vs MSU- another boring ass game

Iowa State vs. Iowa- Iowa offense is putrid, but they always show up in a big game.

Virginia vs. Illinois-I like this Illinois team, don't know anything about the whoos.

How many goddamn big ten games are there? jesus.

Indiana State vs Purdue-Who gives a flying fuck?

Wagner vs. Rutgers-Are you serious?

GA Southern vs. Nebraska-Frost finally got something together in second half yesterday

Hawaii vs. Michigan-Hawaii is so damn bad, they should just stay home and go to the beach. Michigan might hang a century on them. 88-7

Idaho vs Indiana-omg im done.

Fire away you know it alls. Cuz i don't know shit.

I am going to blanket bet Iowa unders the rest of the Ferentz tenure. Tell me why I shouldn't do this. I know we'll have the occasional game where they inexplicably score 50 points, but just double unit the next week and you'll be back on track

I am going to blanket bet Iowa unders the rest of the Ferentz tenure. Tell me why I shouldn't do this. I know we'll have the occasional game where they inexplicably score 50 points, but just double unit the next week and you'll be back on track
Saw the 41 and yes please

Washington State has evolved into a decent defensive team, all while the O has been slowly fading on them. But they have the Cameron Ward QB from Incarnate Word, big number type QB.

Last week Idaho O was shut down in the 1H. They only drove past midfield once. TY were 199-98 and Wazzou turned it over on their first two possessions one of which Idaho returned 45y for a D TD. So it was a misleading 10-10 game. I took Wazzou -13.5 2H expected the Wazzou D to keep it up and the O would come around. Not only is Ward the QB, but his former HC/OC is the Wazzou OC now. The D did their part, Idaho barely got into W St territory twice on 5 2H possesions and Wazzou did get up 24-10 4th Q, they had three straight poor possessions on O which was disappointing. Idaho got a 4th down conversion and was able to make it 24-17. Wazzou was knocking on the door to go up 31-17 (and get ahead of 2H spread), but were stopped after running 3x from inside the 10 yard line and opted for a short FG (think they took delay of game to make the angle better?) and the guy missed it. Idaho went an got a garbage TD with :12 left.

Illinois St moved the ball a little better than I thought on Wisconsin, but no harm done. Wisconsin would be a little better on O I thought than they were, but they are probably pretty happy. Kind of typical Wisconsin game.

This Washington State - Wisconsin game is pretty interesting to me really.

I believe Iowa's top 2 receivers were out last week. And we saw that Charlie Jones is now at Purdue. LaPorta might've got hurt at one point too. So in Iowa's defense, not like I want to defend them, but they were down a bunch of receiving targets. The top two WRs being out I don't think was expected? Maybe somebody can confirm, but the game plan may've been even more Iowa conservative than normal depending on their trust level of the receivers on the field. I'm sure they knew that South Dakota State D was good and maybe they lacked faith in their passing game given the personnel they had.

Titus Leo is supposed to be a DL stud for Wagner. He's an All American and had 4.5 TFLs week 1 vs Fordham. Fordham was a 27.5 pt favorite and that game was just 34-28 in the 4th Q (Fordham won 48-31).

I believe Iowa's top 2 receivers were out last week. And we saw that Charlie Jones is now at Purdue. LaPorta might've got hurt at one point too. So in Iowa's defense, not like I want to defend them, but they were down a bunch of receiving targets. The top two WRs being out I don't think was expected? Maybe somebody can confirm, but the game plan may've been even more Iowa conservative than normal depending on their trust level of the receivers on the field. I'm sure they knew that South Dakota State D was good and maybe they lacked faith in their passing game given the personnel they had.
Iowa was also missing their top RB.

I know, man just look at Michigan's week 1, 2 and 3 opponents.
Hey, series get pulled and a big school like that wants 7 home games every year, min.

I actually want the Big Ten schools doing this. They already play more conference games than the SEC... Who tosses in a bye week in November to play Chattanooga Tech etc.

I'm fine with teams scheduling whomever they want whenever they want. But maybe Maryland had a series get pulled too, I don't know. Just made me smile for a Michigan fan to call out another teams schedule this year.

I'm fine with teams scheduling whomever they want whenever they want. But maybe Maryland had a series get pulled too, I don't know. Just made me smile for a Michigan fan to call out another teams schedule this year.
Michigan generally has a solid opponent among their 3.

UCLA series got pulled ... It's a money thing....

A lot will change in next few years as is ..

Matchups with Oklahoma and Texas home n home are exciting. We'll see if those actually get played.

We've seen in last two years that the scheduling so far out is ridiculous. I expect that to go away quite a bit as we go through this decade...

Hey, series get pulled and a big school like that wants 7 home games every year, min.

I actually want the Big Ten schools doing this. They already play more conference games than the SEC... Who tosses in a bye week in November to play Chattanooga Tech etc.

Best time to do it. November. Get those boys rested and style points.

Alright...

Here is my weekly babble...first some quick, hot takes...

1. Michigan defense is very fast (in relation to previous editions)
2. Michigan clock management at the end of halves is still very subpar
3. We saw OSU get hit in the mouth last November, that is the weakness right now. Day teams are not like Urban's/Tressel's in that regard
4. Clifford is a tough-son-of-gun. I have high respect for him. You have to do a lot to get him out of a game
5. Rutgers is still that team that will give you a battle till the end
6. Minnesota could be the sleeper

Tough loss for Purdue, they simply could not close that game out. They overcame that terrible end to first half (10-14 point turnaround) and played really well in that 2h. A veteran QB made the plays he had to and 'stole' one on the road. Good ole B10 game to start the season off...

Illinois and Indiana obviously had a controversial finish. I was able to catch probably half of this Saturday morning and come through with same conclusions... Indiana isn't that good but will be competitive versus other offensively limited teams. I don't know what to think of Bert's squad, but likely just a notch above the Hoosiers (despite the loss).

For the math geeks out there, you got to love explaining to someone how Iowa scored exactly 7 points without a touchdown. As usual, the great defense, but man that offense is putrid. This is one week though; I am sure they will adjust a few things.

I am going to try and rewatch the ND-OSU game later tonight to get a true feel for what happened. The obvious at the end is that the Irish offense is pretty weak and once they gave up the lead, they were toast. Now, against a solid defense I like they got to 35 carries and nearly averaged 5 ypc. They also learned to win a game that is lower scoring. Day could be correct that this was the type of win they needed. We'll see... The last 2 scoring drives + one to run the clock out were pretty solid....

So, the question becomes... do we see the 'usual' Ryan Day OSU offense the next few weeks vs bad opponents? That is what we need to cap. The next test for this offense is the 24th with Wisky coming to town...

Sparty and Western was a weird game. Michigan State scored 3 times ina short span, did nothing for a while then got aa few more after the Broncos had started to make things interesting. With 10:50 left, this was a one-score game with WMU in MSU territory. From there, Sparty covered the spread. My takeaway is that the Spartans will be a big play offense once again, that needs to protect the ball in big games. As far as the defense, Western had 4 long drives. Tough to tell right now if they are improved or not. The first two weeks of October will tell us as they face some very good offensive teams.

Okay, onto the Michigan-CSU game...

What I liked from the Wolverines...

1. Speed
2. Just relentless along the edges
3. Pass defense was solid after the first quarter
4. Running game got better as the game went on (OL injuries very early, not a lot of continuity)
5. JJ electric as usual once he entered the game, you could feel the energy
6. Roman Wilson somehow got FASTER

What I didn't like ...

1. Cade was NOT good early, albeit a few drops
2. Cade looked stiff and maybe was pressing?
3. Run defense wasn't great. That is supposed to be a strength.
4. Clock management to end 1st half
5. No throws downfield for the most part
6. DROPS, early on
7. Yes, you have a Lou Groza guy, but I don't want him padding his stats

So, the universal thought is that Cade was playing the best he ever has all through summer and camp. He has gotten more mobile and is the guy that will lead this team to scores the most 'consistently'. The guy works as hard as anybody. He won a league title last year. He's a damn solid QB. With that being said, many were taken by surprise this 'audition' of sorts for both QB's. McCarthy was hurt from New Years Eve through the summer. He basically lost time to impress in Spring Ball and whatnot. He last 10-14 days of camp though he was very impressive (from multiple outlets). So, that is where we are here. Ultimately, to get back to the playoffs (which requires winning at OSU for first time in 22 years) and be competitive UM will need JJ to step up and be the guy....

This will be very interesting to see who is QB1 once the IOWA game comes to start October...

Alright, back in a bit with thoughts on this week...

(didn't see enough of the other games to comment more than is known)

Week 2...

Academic Bowl renews again with Duke and Northwestern battling it out in Evanston. I dunno, that total seems a sketch high? All I have right now.

All I have to say about the OSU game is that the TT will be about 56 for the full-game....

I'll be very interested in @Marsski thoughts on Ohio and Penn State. I would think, unless close, we see good amount of action for the PSU back-up here.

Wazzou visiting Madison is one of the stranger matchups in awhile. Tough to get a read on the Badgers with that 1st week opponent. Mertz had an efficient stat line and Allen a big game, as you would expect.

I'll be very interested on watching Maryland this week. Hunt is big on them, offensively and I need to see an effort here where they are scoring more possessions than not. Charlotte already 0-2 here as is...

I saw a few minutes of the Zips last week and was not too impressed. This is a good game for Mel to get his guys flowing together on offense (some long sustained drives). Hopefully no more injuries for them.

ISU and Iowa face off per usual, With the low total, and how last week went, I am sure we should expect a 31-28 final, right? I'd like to hear from @KJ @rochclone and other Clones on the forum to get their perspective.

I remember the UVA-Illy game from last year. The Cavs put up 550 yards and simply could not be stopped. I had a 2h TT on them at 14.5 I believe and that cashed. Virginia just passed at will all game long (10.6 ypp).

Did Nebraska figure anything out last week in the 2h? @cubsker . This is another exhibition here to work things out...

BTN with a very ATTRACTIVE match-up in primetime with the Vandals and Hoosiers... dear lord, take me now! :(

I'll peak more about Hawaii and M in my personal thread...

The Charlotte D is really really bad. Really bad.

Their O should be better than this. Reynolds got knocked out vs FAU and their #2 Foster isn't any good (he's an Texas A&M transfer for whatever that is worth, according to his play it's worth nothing). They turned to a rFr last week in Williams and he is interesting. Not sure if Reynolds is out or what still.

Maryland can name their number on offense and they could run for 300 or pass for 400 if they want. I'm not sure what Charlotte can do on O, kind of depends who the QB is and if that QB is close to 100% healthy (like if it's Reynolds starting).

Their O should be better than this. Reynolds got knocked out vs FAU and their #2 Foster isn't any good (he's an Texas A&M transfer for whatever that is worth, according to his play it's worth nothing). They turned to a rFr last week in Williams and he is interesting. Not sure if Reynolds is out or what still.

Maryland can name their number on offense and they could run for 300 or pass for 400 if they want. I'm not sure what Charlotte can do on O, kind of depends who the QB is and if that QB is close to 100% healthy (like if it's Reynolds starting).
Thanks for these notes...

If he had to transfer away from A&M cause he couldn’t get on the field he can’t be any good! Have you seen their qbs last few years?

This is the week where I'd normally be on Iowa with the entire world on the 'Clones with Ferentz clearly holding some things back (and damn near cost him) last week but I resorted to simple things.....these 2 schools shouldn't be over a FG favorite at either place one way or another. Give me the points and I'm guessing I'll end up having value in some awful demented ugly game type of way when it's all said and done

Washington State has evolved into a decent defensive team, all while the O has been slowly fading on them. But they have the Cameron Ward QB from Incarnate Word, big number type QB.

Last week Idaho O was shut down in the 1H. They only drove past midfield once. TY were 199-98 and Wazzou turned it over on their first two possessions one of which Idaho returned 45y for a D TD. So it was a misleading 10-10 game. I took Wazzou -13.5 2H expected the Wazzou D to keep it up and the O would come around. Not only is Ward the QB, but his former HC/OC is the Wazzou OC now. The D did their part, Idaho barely got into W St territory twice on 5 2H possesions and Wazzou did get up 24-10 4th Q, they had three straight poor possessions on O which was disappointing. Idaho got a 4th down conversion and was able to make it 24-17. Wazzou was knocking on the door to go up 31-17 (and get ahead of 2H spread), but were stopped after running 3x from inside the 10 yard line and opted for a short FG (think they took delay of game to make the angle better?) and the guy missed it. Idaho went an got a garbage TD with :12 left.

Illinois St moved the ball a little better than I thought on Wisconsin, but no harm done. Wisconsin would be a little better on O I thought than they were, but they are probably pretty happy. Kind of typical Wisconsin game.

This Washington State - Wisconsin game is pretty interesting to me really.

i would of been on washington state all day long if i didn't witness the idaho game - the cougar offense is not in rythm - I thought it would be the western kentucky model - bring in fcs OC and qb and they humm as they are the orchestrators of the offense. That wasn't the case........now if washington state can't score they aren't gonna cover - their weakness is run defense and it's a good matchup for the badgers.

Blue -50 is probably great value
i'll say hawaii has shown life for a team as awful as they are - arguably outplayed vandy and western kentucky in first quarters. ...only got outgained by wku by 50 yards and yet lost by 32..........it's a team that if you take away the turnovers, the defensive touchdowns they allow , they aren't that bad. The next issue is into the 3rd and 4th quarters where the floodgates open where they just can't sustain it defensively, and maybe the depth kills them.

Vandy and wku were actively trying their best in the 2nd half when they got their separation. If michigan puts the backups in and runs up the gut the entire 2nd half hawaii can cover.

If michigan wants to showcase mccarthey for the qb battle and work the backups to score hawaii will not cover.......maybe @BAR can give some insight into how harbaugh will handle it ? will he run it up ?

I thought Hawaii started the wrong QB last week. Coaches seeing what they see, I'm sure they thought they were making the best decision, but he didn't look comfortable at all and they gave him the hook. Felt there was some wasted time for Hawaii O with him at QB.

The types of bounces that Hawaii has had on many of the turnovers they have lost have been incredible.

Wisconsin ran for 221, with 96 of those yards on one play last week. Not reading anything into that, they are always good running except for that one year. Some questions on the OL, but they are almost always stocked and strong and reloading no matter what the names are.

I think it's a game where Wazzou might be able to stay in it early, limit the Wisconsin O. I think Wazzou D might be able to hang in there, but if the O can't move the chains and keeps them out their too long, then it will be a bad matchup. We'll get an idea a few possessions into the game.

I thought Hawaii started the wrong QB last week. Coaches seeing what they see, I'm sure they thought they were making the best decision, but he didn't look comfortable at all and they gave him the hook. Felt there was some wasted time for Hawaii O with him at QB.

The types of bounces that Hawaii has had on many of the turnovers they have lost have been incredible.
Bad teams get bad bounces and bad flags. Cardinals MO the first decade I lived here.

That is very true. Bad things happen to bad teams and they usually happen repeatedly and consistently

Reactions: KJ
Week 2...

Academic Bowl renews again with Duke and Northwestern battling it out in Evanston. I dunno, that total seems a sketch high? All I have right now.

All I have to say about the OSU game is that the TT will be about 56 for the full-game....

I'll be very interested in @Marsski thoughts on Ohio and Penn State. I would think, unless close, we see good amount of action for the PSU back-up here.

Wazzou visiting Madison is one of the stranger matchups in awhile. Tough to get a read on the Badgers with that 1st week opponent. Mertz had an efficient stat line and Allen a big game, as you would expect.

I'll be very interested on watching Maryland this week. Hunt is big on them, offensively and I need to see an effort here where they are scoring more possessions than not. Charlotte already 0-2 here as is...

I saw a few minutes of the Zips last week and was not too impressed. This is a good game for Mel to get his guys flowing together on offense (some long sustained drives). Hopefully no more injuries for them.

ISU and Iowa face off per usual, With the low total, and how last week went, I am sure we should expect a 31-28 final, right? I'd like to hear from @KJ @rochclone and other Clones on the forum to get their perspective.

I remember the UVA-Illy game from last year. The Cavs put up 550 yards and simply could not be stopped. I had a 2h TT on them at 14.5 I believe and that cashed. Virginia just passed at will all game long (10.6 ypp).

Did Nebraska figure anything out last week in the 2h? @cubsker . This is another exhibition here to work things out...

BTN with a very ATTRACTIVE match-up in primetime with the Vandals and Hoosiers... dear lord, take me now! :(

I'll peak more about Hawaii and M in my personal thread...

I haven't seen PSU at all.

But I watched the Bobcats game on replay and thought Little Rourke @ QB looked a lot more crisp in the pocket (27/34/345/4tds) and flashed the same ability to run the option and use his legs. Bobcats are somehow already down to one RB #22--(Bangura) he's decent but undersized--and I don't think they have a guy on scholarship behind him. No more Tuggle and Ross, Allison are both out.

WRs are looking good this year with a possession guy transfer Wisgulz from OSU #12 and more of deep threat from Vandy transfer Bostiic #18 along with Walton getting loose on the edge/slot. They were getting good seperation but it was Florida Atlantic.

I would expect the screen game out of them to try to slow PSU's rush, and I think they will move the ball some on PSU through the air. Time in the pocket for Rourke will be critical, of course, and contuning to make good quick reads out of the pistol formation. Not expecting them to be able to bully in the run game and in general LOS on both sides of the ball will be Nittany Lions.

The Bobcat defense doesn't have much of a pass rush but they run to the ball well and seem well coached. Secondary is probably the best unit. They did have a guy with 15 tackles kicked out in the second half of the game. So he may be missing the first half @ PSU. #30 Johnson.

We seem to have a good freshman kicker.

I can't remember the last time we were getting +25.5. It seems a little generous as I do expect the Cats to score some, but I'm not that crazy about it.

By the way, the last time they played the Bobcats won 24-14 in 2012 @ Penn State during the Sandusky/Joe Pa meltdown. Tettleton had a huge second half.

Last edited:
My theory is that Thompson re-hurt his hand some time in the 2h of the NW game. His first half play in Ireland was a thing of beauty. Ever since, he's missed throws he should make, his velocity is down, and he is struggling to throw spirals. Going to keep a close eye on this. Wouldn't be surprised if we get our first look at Purdy. I also wouldn't be surprised if Smothers is a big part of the offense vs OU, running a triple option type offense for multiple drives.

Seemed like Frost had some influence (if not control) on 2h playcalling. Went to ground and pound with Grant doing most of the heavy lifting running plays that looked like last year's offense. Some pretty interesting discussions between him and Whip they were showing between series. OL seemed to play at least a little better in the 2h after a few rather terrible drives in the 1h. Historically under Frost, OL has sucked early and then gotten better a month into the season, especially with their run blocking.

I’m thinking about going pretty heavy on Michigan under 67. I have no interest in taking them -51, but this smells like a 52-3 type game. I know Harbaugh is still messing around with the QBs, so I guess there’s a chance they’re throwing the ball around late, but I can’t see Michigan getting to 60+. Tell me I’m wrong Michigan guys before I make a mistake

I’m thinking about going pretty heavy on Michigan under 67. I have no interest in taking them -51, but this smells like a 52-3 type game. I know Harbaugh is still messing around with the QBs, so I guess there’s a chance they’re throwing the ball around late, but I can’t see Michigan getting to 60+. Tell me I’m wrong Michigan guys before I make a mistake
@B.A.R. has thoughts in his thread

They'll air it out a bit in 1h imo.

Jaydyn in the house, so they gotta show something... Plus JJs first start...

63-3 six years back vs Hawaii fwiw.

More thoughts in my personal thread.

-32/32.5 1H seems good for Michigan. You run the risk of one Hawaii TD potentially putting it in jeopardy though, like some short field and a blown coverage, they luck their way to a score. But Michigan could top 40 1H anyway?

They'll air it out a bit in 1h imo.

Jaydyn in the house, so they gotta show something... Plus JJs first start...

63-3 six years back vs Hawaii fwiw.

More thoughts in my personal thread.
Yeah I missed that somehow. I still kind of like the under, may just go normal size though

Yeah I missed that somehow. I still kind of like the under, may just go normal size though
Hawaii tt under would be the play for me if I thought that way. Dead serious I think UM might get into the 80s by accident.

Hawaii tt under would be the play for me if I thought that way. Dead serious I think UM might get into the 80s by accident.
That’s probably a better plan. Part of the problem is that my book doesn’t release team totals until close to kick, and with me being at the Alabama game tomorrow, I may miss it

Glad they stepped things up last decade...

Here’s some of Alabama’s future schedule.
2023. That’s a home and home with Ohio st, and I’m pretty sure there’s a H&H with Notre Dame.

Sept. 2: MTSU
Sept. 9: Texas
Sept. 16: at South Florida
Nov. 18: Chattanooga

Aug. 31: Western Kentucky
Sept. 7: South Florida
Sept. 14: at Wisconsin

Aug. 30: at Florida State
Sept. 6: Louisiana-Monroe
Sept. 13: Wisconsin
Nov. 22: Eastern Illinois

Sept. 5: at West Virginia
Sept. 12: South Florida
Sept. 19: Florida State

Sept. 5: West Virginia
Sept. 18: at Ohio State

That’s probably a better plan. Part of the problem is that my book doesn’t release team totals until close to kick, and with me being at the Alabama game tomorrow, I may miss it
This is in Austin and not Dallas correct? If so check your WiFi when you get there first. It should be good.

Back