B1G 2016 week 13 thread

conspiracy theory...does the Big Ten want 1 or 2 teams in the playoff? First down!

I hate conspiracies anyway.

Thanks for the image. It is however, just the same view previously available, blown up. Can't see the ball, and we are looking at it at an angle from behind the play. Looks like the ball got right to the line and then a measurement would've been in order. May never get definitive view.

As mentioned that play didn't win the game, but it could've ended it.

I almost wonder someday if we aren't going to have a gps chip in the tips of the ball and some sort of software will have a grid of the field on a computer and the exact spot of the ball will be tracked electronically. It's not too far off of being possible, probably actually is possible, but then you have potential for malfunction of chips. Maybe that's not where we want things to go.

Funny thing about replay, you know people say, "of course you want replay to get the call right". How many times does an announcer, or even better, one of these "rules experts" the networks use disagree with the replay outcomes when they are looking at the exact same footage? Or how many times do you and your buddy disagree on a call. Sometimes it is cut and dry and sometimes it is subjective like so many other things we like to complain about.

I've been talking about a rifd chip (it wouldn't be gps, it would be rfid) in the ball for years. I don't understand how it hasn't been implemented already, at the very least at the goal line. It doesn't seem to be that difficult to use a laser on the chains and then an rfid chip in the ball, but what the fuck do I know.

I will say, not being a fan of either team, that it didn't seem that Barrett got a FD on that 4th down play. He got stood up by his own man, and the ball was not lengthwise in his hand at the time, it was sideways. Seemed like a bogus call, but what can you do really at that point? The call was made on the field, and there wasn't enough to overturn it on replay. The way the officials spot balls has been a pet peeve of mine for quite some time...it's completely subjective and the officials are usually pretty horrible at it. I mean, the head referee called it a first down on that 4th down play without a measurement....now it was pretty obvious where the spot to get to was the 15, so it may have been easier without a measurement, but week in and week out we see guys call it a first down without measuring when it's quite obvious they should have, at the very least, measured to see how close it was.

Unless he was carrying the ball in his jock strap, the ball almost certainly got to the white strip which is all they needed. There was plenty of blame to go around for UM like a pick 6 and fumbling at the 2. The turnovers were the reason they lost, not the officiating. Yes, it was PI near the end but it never should've gotten to that point if UM takes care of business in regulation. They have only themselves to blame. Coach throwing a tantrum and the resulting penalty pushing tOSU closer to the goal line didn't help either.

Unless he was carrying the ball in his jock strap, the ball almost certainly got to the white strip which is all they needed. There was plenty of blame to go around for UM like a pick 6 and fumbling at the 2. The turnovers were the reason they lost, not the officiating. Yes, it was PI near the end but it never should've gotten to that point if UM takes care of business in regulation. They have only themselves to blame. Coach throwing a tantrum and the resulting penalty pushing tOSU closer to the goal line didn't help either.

I wouldn't disagree that it shouldn't have gotten to that point, but that doesn't excuse the missed PI call. That's simply a cop out at that point. Regardless of whether or not it should have gotten to that point, the fact is that it did...and that shouldn't excuse a blatant missed call. That's just silly.

I'm certainly not saying it's an excuse for a missed call, and I'm also not saying the refs shouldn't do a better job in general than they are doing now, but this is the risk you take when you let a team hang around and you make colossal mistakes that let them/keep them in the game. My point is this game was decided by turnovers and little else.

I'm certainly not saying it's an excuse for a missed call, and I'm also not saying the refs shouldn't do a better job in general than they are doing now, but this is the risk you take when you let a team hang around and you make colossal mistakes that let them/keep them in the game. My point is this game was decided by turnovers and little else.

Sure, and I don't necessarily disagree. But we can't just look past horrible calls by officials and say "well you shouldn't have been in that position." It's simply a cop out. The officiating needs to be better...period.

Turnovers was U of M fault but I seen a few PI on ohio state that was not called these days you have to find out where the zebras was born does it make a diff you better believe it does i'm going to find out if any zebra was born in ohio it makes all the diff i the world

MY question to the NCAA and NFL is this, you want to implement replay but somehow not have the proper angles on critical 3rd and 4th down plays? How about goal line plays? Why are we getting angles from the 5 yard line or angles that would never overrule a reviewable call? Are we still this ignorant with replay or is there an ulterior motivate? I'm with Harbaugh. I thought Barrett was stopped short but there was no angle to change it. How's this possible?

Black shoes

1. Great game.
2. I thought barrett made the line to gain
3. I think Michigan is the better team
4. I think Tosu won and that is what matters most
5. I think the turnovers and mistakes by Michigan were the biggest reason they lost.
6. Michigan got jobbed by the refs. that is why we give TOSU a 5 pt hfa or more though. It is to be expected the home team is going to get a few extra calls.
7. I have been a Taco fan since I first saw him play in a spring game. He had an amazing game imo.
8. I thought michigan gassed a little the last fifteen minutes and overtime.

Anyway, that was an exciting game. Grats to ohio state.

6. Michigan got jobbed by the refs. that is why we give TOSU a 5 pt hfa or more though. It is to be expected the home team is going to get a few extra calls.

I didn't see the game until overtime, so there might have been bad calls the other way, but that was clearly DPI on Ohio State on third down when Michigan had the ball the second OT. Yet Harbaugh chooses to dispute a cal where the officials were right.

Last edited:
Thanks for the image. It is however, just the same view previously available, blown up. Can't see the ball, and we are looking at it at an angle from behind the play. Looks like the ball got right to the line and then a measurement would've been in order. May never get definitive view.

As mentioned that play didn't win the game, but it could've ended it.

I almost wonder someday if we aren't going to have a gps chip in the tips of the ball and some sort of software will have a grid of the field on a computer and the exact spot of the ball will be tracked electronically. It's not too far off of being possible, probably actually is possible, but then you have potential for malfunction of chips. Maybe that's not where we want things to go.

Funny thing about replay, you know people say, "of course you want replay to get the call right". How many times does an announcer, or even better, one of these "rules experts" the networks use disagree with the replay outcomes when they are looking at the exact same footage? Or how many times do you and your buddy disagree on a call. Sometimes it is cut and dry and sometimes it is subjective like so many other things we like to complain about.
The ball started at the 25, it only has to touch the 15. No measurement occurs when it's from a set spot to start a drive.

1. Great game.
2. I thought barrett made the line to gain
3. I think Michigan is the better team
4. I think Tosu won and that is what matters most
5. I think the turnovers and mistakes by Michigan were the biggest reason they lost.
7. I have been a Taco fan since I first saw him play in a spring game. He had an amazing game imo.
8. I thought michigan gassed a little the last fifteen minutes and overtime.

Anyway, that was an exciting game. Grats to ohio state.

I couldn't have said it any better.

Michigan is osus bitch I guess. They just don't beat them anymore.

Back