• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

B16 Week 3 Thread...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Apologies on getting this started 24+ hours late...

Busy weekend + procedure yesterday left me a bit groggy...

Alas, let's talk about this shit conference...

After two weeks of play, UM and PSU are playing at levels I expected of them.

Ohio State is about where I thought, stuck with 2 QB's and not having an electric offense for once. With that being said, this team will be a force come the last 4-6 weeks. There is simply too much talent not to be.

Iowa is the same sack of offensive ineptitude that they have been for years. They'll win 9+ games, but it will ugly.

Nebraska has an obvious QB problem.

Wisconsin was not good defensively vs Wazzou. I understand they got down by DD's in the 2nd quarter, but you have some damn good running backs. Use them.

Minnesota is Iowa lite this year.

Michigan State will be that team we talk about in November needing a win to get bowl eligible. I'll have better insight on them in a few weeks. This Washington game won't be a true tale, The Maryland and Iowa games following will be the insight I personally need for the last two months of games.

Northwestern won by 31 on Saturday. That is a very MISLEADING final though.

Rutgers is damn solid. I will say that isn't exactly the most representative box either, but in the end they did mostly what I thought in that game.

Purdue, who knows?

Indiana is who we thought they were.

Maryland rebounded nicely from a bad start on Saturday. I would assume we'll see the usual out of them, fade towards the end, but that matchup of UM-Mary the week before The Game will be highly interesting.

I'm missing one team, but that is my quick takes...

Michigan recap:

I think I was one of only people on here/SM that was on the Under, and that was hardly in doubt. The defense was smothering, despite missing many in the secondary. The passing game was highly efficient. The running game is very bland right now, but that will improve.

I know people think that Michigan should be winning these games 55-7 and whatnot, but you need to rewatch these 1H's to understand why these first two unders were really easy. They are basically getting 4 FULL drives in the 1st halves. With all the extra passing, this may confuse some people...

Here is why:

-New Clock rules definitely have an effect.
-Michigan rarely snaps with double-digit seconds on the clock, unless near the goal-line (which they mess up half the time)
-JJ is passing a lot more, and that is good. The problem is, he is so efficient, that the ball isn't hitting the ground. This is the same as Corum and Edwards hitting for 6-12 yards on the ground vs bad teams last year.
-Even with a hurry-up UNLV team, the clock didn't stop on those sacks at all. UNLV ran enough as well to keep things moving
-No big turnovers as of yet. Those will come, and add some short drives. We'll see value at some point on some overs.

There will be a time and place for UM overs, but no reason to force that right now. They are a legit top 3 team, but that doesn't mean they will win by 40-50 every time with the new changes in CFB. JH and the staff do not care to pull out all the stops in these early games, hence no downfield shots at all. Trust me, this drives the fanbase nuts. I sat and listened to the fans near me on Saturday groaning about no deep balls as JJ was 13 of his first 14 passing. People crack me up.

As far as the running game...

Blake is working his way back confidence-wise. As Mike Hart said, he's trying to break a big one each time, instead of taking what is there. They also have rotated a lot of OL so far. They have a legit 8-10 starters, but they need to find the combo that works the best together. Don has simply had no holes to get through in his opportunities. This will change.

Overall, JJ has been great. I hope he stays healthy because the backups are playing very badly so far. We'll see. The staff is trying to get all 5 time in these first three game to evaluate.

Special Teams need to be shored up as well. That, along with an injury to JJ are what can ruin Jim's best Michigan team.

Okay, Week #3

We get a little Friday night action with Maryland hosting Virginia. The Hoos are not too good, and you would think that the Terps will do well here in a primetime spot. The total is under 50, so we are expecting a pretty low-scoring game overall. I would think the Terps get into the low 30's here. 34-14 enters my head, but I need to look into things a bit more. I was encouraged by the Terps offense looking at the box vs Charlotte.

BGSU enters the Big House as 40+ pt underdogs. The oddsmakers have correctly adjusted the total a bit here. In capping a total like this, I start with the opposing team and get some parameters for what they could/should score and go from there. We need to look at Michigan's first two 4th quarters and factor that in. The deep backups have given up two lengthy, time-consuming TD drives. That could help an over and potential dog cover. This does feel like a week UM receives a few short fields via the defense as well. I know UM wants to see some backup QB play as well, that could potentially remove JJ earlier. We'll see. I'll be monitoring the status of the secondary guys, and whether they wait one more week to bring them back. Early prediction is 45-10.

Big Noon features the Nittany Lions traveling to Illinois to face Fat Bret and the Illini. Browsing forums and SM today, the love for this 'dominating' PSU squad laying a few tuddies is pretty high. I am not saying I disagree with them, but this is Big Ten play + road game + Allar's first start on the road. Illinois looked pretty blah versus Toledo and just brutal in Lawrence. Last year was a nice season, but I am afraid they have digressed heavily. This is a game I would rather get a look at early on and bet live. So far, Allar has been very solid. PSU looks to be what I thought they would be (future I bet on Championship Monday last January). We'll have a much better read these next few weeks.

Indiana is a DD underdog at home to Louisville. This represents how bad the Hoosiers are, and seemingly how improved Louisville is. You couldn't get me near this game with Hunt's dick.

The Ga Southern and Wisconsin total is 64.5. Fondy must be rolling over right now. I have seen it all. Now, I need to cap this one still, but I'd love to read that Fickell and Co will be running, running and running some more. As they should be. If so, this could be a nice under play. I will say, the Ga Southern and Nebraska game last year creeps into my head (45-42).

The Heels host Row the Boat and company and are laying just over a TD. Talk to me @carolinablue !!

The Academic Bowl is back again, with Duke and Northwestern facing off in Durham. I was hoping that NW scoring 38 last week would move this number to 14 or less, but alas, that is not the case. We all saw Duke in Game 1. They should win this pretty handily. They rolled Lafayette last week, as they should. This is a comfortable Duke win, but how comfortable? Might be worth a look at a NW tt UNDER.

Bronco nation invades Iowa to play the high-scoring Hawkeyes. Again, this is a comfortable win. Is this the game Iowa finally breaks loose on offense? Cade has played WMU before, when they were much better. A mid 30's TT isn't exactly what you look for in any Iowa game, but they should get 30+ here.

Very intriguing game in Columbus. The WKU tempo machine heads into town. This seems to be the type of offense that the Bucks give up points to. I'll let the Ohio State brethren correct me if need be. We should see extra possessions here, and this is a 'get well' game potentially for the Bucks offense. Prior to this year, I am all over overs in this game. Now, I have to think a bit more and maybe get creative. Hilltopper TT at 17.5 has potential. a first half over, in general does as well. I'll get more into this game as the week progresses.

Washington heads to East Landfill for the first game of the Harlon Barnett era. Aside from everything that is happening with Tucker, I said during week one Boise and Washington to take notes for this game. The Huskies could not run vs Boise. So, they gave up early and just threw for days on them. I expect similar here. MSU has a good run defense. But, that secondary has been awful for a few years now. Penix loves playing Sparty. Washington TT (s) are in play here. I do expect a pretty rowdy crowd though. We have a 70 degree late summer 5pm start, on 'The Cock' (Peacock TV). I am sure some emotions will be there for MSU, plus Washington dusted them last year.

Nebraska needs a win. NIU heads to town. I'll let @cubsker and @Colin Wynner chime here.

The Cuse heads to West Lafayette for a rematch of last years thriller in the dome. I remember that game quite well. There was not much scoring, grabbed a live over, and needed every part of that wild 4th quarter to get it(42 points in the 4th). What you think @PaintCrew ? Tough to fully judge the Orange off games versus Western and Colgate.

Alright, chat it up!

Any UM questions, holler them in. I have a long night ahead of me, so ready to talk as much as you would like!

Here we go.....really tough to gauge how the Sparty team reacts to the Tucker situation and they will either come with full focus/effort or just show up completely lost imo....here are some quick thoughts on why I am holding MSU +17 ticket from Sunday night

• UW 4-9 SU in last 13 games on grass, including very ugly games at UCLA and ASU last year
  • This team's (obvious) strength is the passing offense and struggle getting started out of the gate on grass
  • UW rush defense is very average and I have to think MSU takes a shot at just road-grading with the running game and grinding clock
  • UW cannot run the ball, so however bad the MSU secondary can be, they can truly can lay back and keep everything in front of them....make the UW dink/dunk/try and run....hope for bend but not break D
  • No pressure at all on MSU here.....everyone writing them off
  • Looking very much at the under here as well
PS.....if anyone is in East Lansing, I would love to hear about the length of the grass..should be 6 inches long and soaked the night before the game

Here we go.....really tough to gauge how the Sparty team reacts to the Tucker situation and they will either come with full focus/effort or just show up completely lost imo....here are some quick thoughts on why I am holding MSU +17 ticket from Sunday night

• UW 4-9 SU in last 13 games on grass, including very ugly games at UCLA and ASU last year
  • This team's (obvious) strength is the passing offense and struggle getting started out of the gate on grass
  • UW rush defense is very average and I have to think MSU takes a shot at just road-grading with the running game and grinding clock
  • UW cannot run the ball, so however bad the MSU secondary can be, they can truly can lay back and keep everything in front of them....make the UW dink/dunk/try and run....hope for bend but not break D
  • No pressure at all on MSU here.....everyone writing them off
  • Looking very much at the under here as well
PS.....if anyone is in East Lansing, I would love to hear about the length of the grass..should be 6 inches long and soaked the night before the game
Interesting thoughts on the grass.

Good capping

With Harlon Barnett making his debut with Sparty I think it's only proper we look back 29 years ago this month...

BAR mentioned the pace of Michigan games. The number is 117.5 plays per game. To put that in context, last year’s Army-Navy game had 121 plays, although that is more than usual for that matchup.

Last edited:
I like over 64 in Columbus. The tempo will be there and if OSU had not struggled a bit early this game would be lined in the 70s. S Florida ran for 6 yards a pop on WKU so TW and Meatball will be eating. I think it closes 67ish.

Lean towards NIU +11. We all know Huskers have serious QB problems and Lombardi has B10 pedigree and won't be rattled in Lincoln. I look for NIU to hang around...they won in Lincoln a few years back so not crazy to see an upset here.

I took under 44. Clock is going to be rolling the whole game. Backup is Heinberg who is another runner. I see NIU on offense as a poor man's Minnesota. They aren't going to be able to run here which I think they need to do to score many points.

I took under 44. Clock is going to be rolling the whole game. Backup is Heinberg who is another runner. I see NIU on offense as a poor man's Minnesota. They aren't going to be able to run here which I think they need to do to score many points.
I can't get tts in this state but I know NIU under would be wagered if I did. Would certainly pay to see them score 17.

I'm sure OSU would like to find a rhythm offensively but are they really going to go balls to the wall for 4 quarters with ND on deck? That's assuming they even have this ability at the moment as they haven't shown it thus far.

And I can see the OSU defense tapping out late because really who cares?

Unfortunately I haven't seen one snap from WKU this year. Just wondering which play makes more sense - WKU and the points or the over. OSU hasn't yet cleared 35 this season. At a certain point you have to prove you can do it on the scoreboard.

Big ten are just a bunch of unders it seems like the first few weeks, all over the conference.

I'm with Ali, don't see OSU tipping their hand much...kind of a stay away for me. As good as WKU pass attack is, OSU D is pretty solid.

PSU/Illinois, interesting game. I don't think Illinois is as bad as people make them out to be and PSU as good as people think. Illini stay within the number. BUT, I think PSU is the best team in the B10 after 2 weeks based on my eye test.

I do think Michigan cracks 40+ like Reno this week, but you gotta have balls to take their overs. They have to score every drive or get turnovers..just not that type of team to do big pass plays, and this years team hasn't had many huge runs outside of a few. They save the big pass plays for better teams, which I never understood, but it is what it is.

Sparty will get their roof blown off Saturday. Washington might be a top 4 team in the country, very, very good.

Fickell hasn't figured out his team yet. Be another year or 2.

Last edited:
Big ten are just a bunch of unders it seems like the first few weeks, all over the conference.

I'm with Ali, don't see OSU tipping their hand much...kind of a stay away for me. As good as WKU pass attack is, OSU D is pretty solid.

PSU/Illinois, interesting game. I don't think Illinois is as bad as people make them out to be and PSU as good as people think. Illini stay within the number. BUT, I think PSU is the best team in the B10 after 2 weeks based on my eye test.

I do think Michigan cracks 40+ like Reno this week, but you gotta have balls to take their overs. They have to score every drive or get turnovers..just not that type of team to do big pass plays, and this years team hasn't had many huge runs outside of a few. They save the big pass plays for better teams, which I never understood, but it is what it is.

Sparty will get their roof blown off Saturday. Washington might be a top 4 team in the country, very, very good.

Fickell hasn't figured out his team yet. Be another year or 2.
From B.A..thread...

Screenshot_20230914-004201.pngScreenshot_20230914-004142.png

Plays per game average for some of those teams:

Indiana 55 this year/75 for 2022

Michigan 61.5 this year/70.5 for 2022

Ohio State 67 this year/ 68.3 for 2022

Minnesota 72 this year/ 66.5 for 2022

Iowa 61 this year/ 62 for 2022

Eastern Michigan 46 this year/ 71.5 for 2022

East Carolina 63.5 this year/ 71.2 for 2022

UNLV 62 this year/ 66.1 for 2022

Utah State 73 this year/ 74.9 for 2022

Iowa State 75 this year/ 75.5 for 2022

Small sample size but good to keep track of, some big discrepencies

Things to consider;

Michigan's relationship with BGSU.
From Mlive.com; Jim Harbaugh’s dad has warned him about Michigan’s next opponent

Some of Jim Harbaugh’s earliest and most cherished memories come from when his dad, Jack, was a football coach at Bowling Green. Jim was 4 years old when his dad began the first of his three seasons as an assistant coach at the Ohio school. Jack had played football there from 1957 to 1960 and met his wife, Jackie, in an English class. “There’s a great picture of my dad sitting on the bench wearing his number 13 and my mom behind him as a cheerleader at BG,” Jim said.

Whenever he drives that way, to or from Ann Arbor on the way to Crestline or Cleveland, Ohio, he looks out the window at the school’s football stadium. He can recite the fight song.

On Monday, he was asked if he had a relationship with Bowling Green head coach Scot Loeffler and whether the school was a special place for the Harbaugh family. He smiled wide. Affirmative and affirmative,” Harbaugh said. “Both.” Always been friends with Scot and we keep in touch and text and talk sometimes,” Harbaugh said. “He’s doing a heck of a job there.”

Don't see Wolvs intentionally pouring it on yet BGSU could gift them enough to get past the spread. Still, good to know this now then right before kickoff after you made your play.

Ohio State; IMO, the loss of Kevin Wilson as co-OC is showing. Hartline now OC. Always thought Wilson was the one drawing up that explosive play or two against the defense he was facing. Agree with AllShaheed, prove you can do it.

Watched Penn St vs Delaware last night on BTN. Lions were a little sloppy against the miniature wolverines but still looked good. Blue Hens busted a 60+ yd td run early. Illinois will be a better test, -14.5 leaves the backdoor open IMO.

MSU; hit Washington -14 on Sat night before the Tucker issue came out. Was going to hit Huskies 1st hf too as Sparty a slow starter in first two, but not now. Dantonio stepping in, Sparty to go through traditional Sparty walkthrough. Am sure a big emotional speech on Sparty tradition and pride, etc. They will be pumped. And Washington has history of playing poorly on grass. Still like that -14, but not as much now.

Ohio State; IMO, the loss of Kevin Wilson as co-OC is showing. Hartline now OC. Always thought Wilson was the one drawing up that explosive play or two against the defense he was facing. Agree with AllShaheed, prove you can do it.
Hartline isn't calling the plays and I question how much of the offense Wilson actually had responsibility over.

Most of the issues OSU is facing today were present over the past 2 years. But they had the advantage of having the #2 overall draft pick under center.

OSU offense put it all together against UGA but somehow lost the recipe during the offseason and they're back at square one. Will it take them an entire season to figure it out again? We shall see. But this is Ryan Day's offense, IMO.

There were a lot of positives for the Huskers last Saturday. First, Sims got hurt and might miss a couple of weeks – kidding of course, no one wants to see anyone ever injured, including yours truly.

In all seriousness, the first positive is the Huskers post-game win expectancy was 65.4%, which isn’t all that shocking because the Huskers are the second order win national champs going back at least 4 years. But still according to the advanced stats, the Huskers were quite competitive and yet looked like they got blown out. That is good news for future lines as the Huskers have now been downgraded in power ranking, some deserved for sure, but I think it has gotten out of control – they should be 17 this week and are checking in at 11. No way Sims is worth 6 points, when essentially the Huskers should have a similar game plan this week regardless of the quarterback. I just hope the replacement can catch a routine shotgun snap.

Another positive was the way the defense totally shut down Sanders and one of the greatest offenses college football has ever seen. Colorado’s opening game against TCU saw them post a 52.5% success in a highly competitive, 4 quarter game; by contrast against Nebraska, their first quarter success rate was a paltry 30.8% and the second quarter just 35.3%. It wasn’t until the 4th quarter when most fans, and the starting defense, had seen enough that the Buffs posted over a 50% success rate (64.3).

They had Sanders and the Buff offense rattled but couldn’t take advantage on offense and ultimately set up the Buffs with back-to-back-to-back scoring opportunities via a fumbled snap, horrible interception and a 25-yard punt. 13-0 Buffs, Sanders settled in, and the Huskers defense was gassed.

At some point I will stop sticking a fork in the light socket, but I think this week is a Huskers “get right” game (well, as right as they can get with the roster they have). The spread is a joke, -11, when I expect the Huskers to go jumbo sets and pound at a smaller defense. Haarberg may not be as athletic of a runner as Sims and he may even be a downgrade as a passer (yeah, I know that seems impossible) but the game plan should contain a lot of jumbo sets and smash mouth, with an occasional safe pass.

Unless the defense comes out flat, they should be able to shut down NIU and the offense should be able to pound the rock.

I am violating a lot of handicapping rules by laying 11 on a 43-point total but I see this game about 38-13 or 31-10.

Now that said – if this game is tight into the second half, I will be all over NIU money line. Willing to pay to see the Huskers figure out how to lose a close game.

Fwiw...

Took Nebraska u43 small.. -110
Ohio State o64 -110 2.5 units.

I will likely look at TT's and or live in Cbus

Oh, Maryland is officially a play... -14 -115 2.5 units...

Busy day Saturday so that is mostly it...

The totals are stale, so I shouldn't even post.

I still like at 42.5 nebbie

OSU number up to 66

Will track MSU and Washington game live.

Ditto UF and Tennessee

Kansas and UM games late too, track.

Things to consider;

Michigan's relationship with BGSU.
From Mlive.com; Jim Harbaugh’s dad has warned him about Michigan’s next opponent

Some of Jim Harbaugh’s earliest and most cherished memories come from when his dad, Jack, was a football coach at Bowling Green. Jim was 4 years old when his dad began the first of his three seasons as an assistant coach at the Ohio school. Jack had played football there from 1957 to 1960 and met his wife, Jackie, in an English class. “There’s a great picture of my dad sitting on the bench wearing his number 13 and my mom behind him as a cheerleader at BG,” Jim said.

Whenever he drives that way, to or from Ann Arbor on the way to Crestline or Cleveland, Ohio, he looks out the window at the school’s football stadium. He can recite the fight song.

On Monday, he was asked if he had a relationship with Bowling Green head coach Scot Loeffler and whether the school was a special place for the Harbaugh family. He smiled wide. Affirmative and affirmative,” Harbaugh said. “Both.” Always been friends with Scot and we keep in touch and text and talk sometimes,” Harbaugh said. “He’s doing a heck of a job there.”

Don't see Wolvs intentionally pouring it on yet BGSU could gift them enough to get past the spread. Still, good to know this now then right before kickoff after you made your play.

Watched Penn St vs Delaware last night on BTN. Lions were a little sloppy against the miniature wolverines but still looked good. Blue Hens busted a 60+ yd td run early. Illinois will be a better test, -14.5 leaves the backdoor open IMO.

MSU; hit Washington -14 on Sat night before the Tucker issue came out. Was going to hit Huskies 1st hf too as Sparty a slow starter in first two, but not now. Dantonio stepping in, Sparty to go through traditional Sparty walkthrough. Am sure a big emotional speech on Sparty tradition and pride, etc. They will be pumped. And Washington has history of playing poorly on grass. Still like that -14, but not as much now.
Good info.

The running joke when people ask why this is a night game... due to Lefty's return to the Big House ;)

Last five non-con games (Colorado St, UConn, Hawaii, ECU, and UNLV) Michigan has not had at least a 90yd rusher nor had they ecilpsed 300 total rushing yards in any of those games last year and have not surpassed 200 total rush yards this year.
ECU I can understand as they have a good run defense.

Looks like Michigan saves their rb's for when it counts.

Fwiw...

OSU number up to 66

Ditto UF and Tennessee

Needed that kickstart with Maryland.

Anyone have thoughts on the OSU TT 47.5? Thinking this is the game they break out and put up at least 52, but figured I would ask the experts!

Anyone have thoughts on the OSU TT 47.5? Thinking this is the game they break out and put up at least 52, but figured I would ask the experts!
Sorry, was out this morning...

Had the game over pretty solid... I did think game would be closer though. Not sure if I would have played this TBH.

Fwiw...

OSU number up to 66

Ditto UF and Tennessee

Since this is my quasi play thread..

Colorado 1h TT o23 -115 2 units

Michigan 2h TT o19.5 -110 2.5 units

Yes, we need a lot of perfection but this is a close game.

They'll score 3 times, no doubt. Hopefully no FG.

Likely no backup QB till the last drive with this game tight.

Hopefully another interception to get a short field.

Michigan 2h TT o19.5 -110 2.5 units

Yes, we need a lot of perfection but this is a close game.

They'll score 3 times, no doubt. Hopefully no FG.

Likely no backup QB till the last drive with this game tight.

Hopefully another interception to get a short field.

That's 0-2 on these this year.

Weird play call after the injury.

Then the INT on a throwaway.

Capped it right, but again, with clock rules you need perfection

That's such a BRUTAL beat on Nebraska under.

Man o man .

Great day up till these two losses tonight.

Michigan ran 44 plays tonight.

Yes, a fumble of a kick return is part. Yes, the interception made for a 1 play drive.

But, I'll be interested to see how low they do with next week's total.

Sure hope McCarthy and the rest of the wolv's got it out of their system. What a horrible performance. Rutgers ain't no pushover this year.

Sure hope McCarthy and the rest of the wolv's got it out of their system. What a horrible performance. Rutgers ain't no pushover this year.
Yeah. I'd say so.

3 picks unacceptable but only 1 was truly bad.

The EZ one was the TE leading another defender into that spot (he ran the wrong route).

The throwaway was just a bad throwaway.

Blake got going at least, Edwards a bit too .

They just didn't have the ball very much.

Rutgers is always a test in A2 it seems.

Back