August Discussion Thread

GWarner27

Meatballin' in Celtics Stadium
c'mon in everybody, it's time for European football and everyone still alive should care besides LASK (and maybe Chelsea)

Brackets:

1596424142917.png

UEFA Europa League
Odds to Win 2019-20 UEFA Europa League
200401Man Utd+200
200402Inter Milan+500
200403Wolves+600
200404Bayer Leverkusen+650
200405Sevilla+800
200406Roma+1200
200408Getafe+1600
200407Shakhtar Donetsk+1600
200409Basel+2200
200410Istanbul Basaksehir+5000
200413Olympiakos+5000
200415FC Copenhagen+6600
200412Wolfsburg+6600
200411Eintracht Frankfurt+20000
200414Rangers+20000
200416LASK Linz+50000

1596423879725.png

UEFA Champions League
Odds to Win 2019-20 UEFA Champions League
201002Bayern Munich+325
201001Man City+325
201003PSG+500
201004Barcelona+700
201005Atletico Madrid+800
201008Atalanta+900
201006Juventus+1400
201007RB Leipzig+1600
201009Real Madrid+2500
201010Napoli+6600
201011Lyon+8000
201012Chelsea+15000

Got a little bit of an interest in Fulham tomorrow after seeing Brenford choke away the automatic promotion spot. Not expecting Mitrovic to play, but catching 1/4 seems to be a decent price for nervy affair at Wembley

Leans:
Roma +0.25
Real Madrid +0.75 (holding out for 1)
Lyon +1.25
Lyon to advance +108
Napoli +1 (expensive but may jump depending on Insigne status)
Atalanta +0.25

Man I don’t even know who Lyon is? What league they come from? I know juv awful big favs and didn’t play that well down stretch of serie a.

Jesus I’m so confused. So both these teams playing 2marro have played once already with Lyon and city both ahead by a goal? So wtf happens if juve or RM win by a goal? How they determine who advances?

Jesus I’m so confused. So both these teams playing 2marro have played once already with Lyon and city both ahead by a goal? So wtf happens if juve or RM win by a goal? How they determine who advances?
It’s aggregate of the two matches. Tiebreaker goes to the team with more away goals scored. So city is in really good shape with 2 away goals scored in the first leg- real must score at least two goals tomorrow

Man I don’t even know who Lyon is? What league they come from? I know juv awful big favs and didn’t play that well down stretch of serie a.
Finished 7th in the French league. Granted the league didn’t resume after covid break. Lost to psg in pks in the French cup more recently I believe

Finished 7th in the French league. Granted the league didn’t resume after covid break. Lost to psg in pks in the French cup more recently I believe

Yea I’ve been reading up. Now just trying to figure out how this works! Lol. Can you answer my question above? This why I never took the time with soccer before, it so damn confusing!! Lol

Yea I’ve been reading up. Now just trying to figure out how this works! Lol. Can you answer my question above? This why I never took the time with soccer before, it so damn confusing!! Lol

Nevermind, I see you did. Thanks.

It’s aggregate of the two matches. Tiebreaker goes to the team with more away goals scored. So city is in really good shape with 2 away goals scored in the first leg- real must score at least two goals tomorrow

So it stands to reason RM is gonna have to play wide open correct?

In the other match juve either needs to have a clean sheet or win by 2 or more? Juve lost 1-0 tho so if they win 1-0 what would happen? (Sorry, Lol),

So it stands to reason RM is gonna have to play wide open correct?

In the other match juve either needs to have a clean sheet or win by 2 or more? Juve lost 1-0 tho so if they win 1-0 what would happen? (Sorry, Lol),
Yeah RM is going to need to play aggressively. I like that over quite a bit but it ain’t cheap! You’re correct on the juve match. If juve wins 1-0 then it goes 30 minute extra time then penalties if still tied. That one is interesting because if Lyon scores one goal, the match gets flipped on its head as juve would need to win by 2+

Yeah RM is going to need to play aggressively. I like that over quite a bit but it ain’t cheap! You’re correct on the juve match. If juve wins 1-0 then it goes 30 minute extra time then penalties if still tied. That one is interesting because if Lyon scores one goal, the match gets flipped on its head as juve would need to win by 2+

That’s pretty crazy. So if Lyon were to score a early one taking the over live might make lot of sense? Of course I assume Lyon would simply sit back in a shell if that happened seeing how I’m reading they incredibly defensive minded anyways. So much to think about!! Lol. 2-1 juve would mean Lyon advances then correct?

Yea I see -125 on over 3 at my place. Thinking bout parlaying w juve and baynerd Saturday. Lol

That’s pretty crazy. So if Lyon were to score a early one taking the over live might make lot of sense? Of course I assume Lyon would simply sit back in a shell if that happened seeing how I’m reading they incredibly defensive minded anyways. So much to think about!! Lol. 2-1 juve would mean Lyon advances then correct?
Yep Lyon would advance in that scenario

When does Atalanta play and who they play (what was 1st match score)? I didn’t see them on card but I only see fri and sat matches right now.

Thanks for helping me out,, I have crammed so much soccer into my brain now this starts and I’m confused all over again! Lol

I couldn’t find the teams to advance wager at my book. I dunno if I’m looking wrong place or he don’t have? Lol
Should definitely be there somewhere, it’s a common bet for champions league. I was hoping to see better prices on Atalanta and atletico to advance

Oh I see. Some teams have already advanced while these last 4 matches on Friday and Saturday conclusion of this round? This all cause of Covid I’m assuming?

Check this out, it’ll explain everything because we didn’t even discuss the quarterfinals lol. Quarterfinals are different this year, those matches are all one game knockouts. The games tomorrow and Saturday are the second leg to the round of 16 matches. Champions league is a totally different format this year with Covid

So athletico and Atalanta both already into the quarter finals,, so when Atalanta plays Paris wed that is just a one match deal and winner advances?

Check this out, it’ll explain everything because we didn’t even discuss the quarterfinals lol. Quarterfinals are different this year, those matches are all one game knockouts. The games tomorrow and Saturday are the second leg to the round of 16 matches. Champions league is a totally different format this year with Covid

Thanks. I had just found something on it. I hate continuing to ask stupid questions! Lol

I just realized Bayern already up 3-0. Glad I saw that before throwing them in bunch of parlays! That changes things. Lol

So athletico and Atalanta both already into the quarter finals,, so when Atalanta plays Paris wed that is just a one match deal and winner advances?
Ya, since it goes to single elim next week

Reason why we are having these matched tomorrow and sat is champs league shut down right before 2nd week of some legs

also gonna add Real Madrid to advance +500 to my leans list

...Roma got smoked today, finally the me and @~Utah bandwagon fell off the tracks

Lyon is the second best team in Ligue 1 (France) they just weren't able to finish the season this year so don't treat them like a 7th place finisher as they were when COVID happened

When does Atalanta play and who they play (what was 1st match score)? I didn’t see them on card but I only see fri and sat matches right now.

i wrote nearly 6k words on the two competitions, check my twitter and it'll explain it all

full +1 available on Real Madrid now with a jump to advance to +560

Lyon caught some money, maybe Dybala injury news? Only have +1 there and they've moved to the favorite to advance unfortunately

So does Bayern play this match a lot differently than normal with such a big lead going into this one? I’ve never seen this before so no clue what to expect!

So does Bayern play this match a lot differently than normal with such a big lead going into this one? I’ve never seen this before so no clue what to expect!

if they go behind 2-0 maybe they start to worry, but i don't see that happening. Just gonna try and get their regulars a sweat and then use the 5 subs to preserve the team for the next round.

Meanwhile, Chelsea has to make the trip but probably doesn't even believe they have a shot. Scary to see that defense having to push for 3 goals to force extra time

Would be interested in taking the 1.5 goals because we know Bayern doesn't need to win, but i think they are so much better than a healthy Chelsea which they will not be for this one without Pulisic, Willian

Leans:
Roma +0.25
Real Madrid +0.75 (holding out for 1)
Lyon +1.25
Lyon to advance +108
Napoli +1 (expensive but may jump depending on Insigne status)
Atalanta +0.25

brutal 0-1-2 yesterday as the market stole 1/4 on Lyon for the push and flipped the odds on Lyon to advance, fortunately got the full 1 on RMA to push there but the to advance did not come through

today's interests:
Napoli +1

expect Barca money to roll in as it already has, though I wonder if the juice change this morning indicates no Insigne

brutal 0-1-2 yesterday as the market stole 1/4 on Lyon for the push and flipped the odds on Lyon to advance, fortunately got the full 1 on RMA to push there but the to advance did not come through

today's interests:
Napoli +1

expect Barca money to roll in as it already has, though I wonder if the juice change this morning indicates no Insigne
Why do you like Napoli?

clear push on the first goal took out two Napoli defenders and gave an open header, it's honestly amazing what offensive players can do in the box so long as the referee doesn't blow it dead initially. That was horrible and then Messi had the cushion he needed to push the team forward to a 3-0 lead and I had given up. A bad Rakitic foul in the box got Napoli and my +1 back in the game giving me false hope to push but Milik's goal was ruled offside and there weren't enough scary chances.

xG had Napoli 2.3-1.1 so either I got screwed losing a +1 or that metric continues to be a joke

Not a lot to like for me this week as i'm actually leaning to some favorites, but i'm curious about the COVID scare at Atletico Madrid

QF interests:
Atalanta +0.5
Lyon +1.5

not sure what to say about Shakhtar-Basel as I don't know a thing about the lower leagues, but Shak looked pretty good from their R16 game. Controlled everything giving the bigger payroll Wolfsburg from the Bundesliga no chance to avenge the 1st leg defeat. Basel had such a huge lead from their first leg with Frankfurt that I guess they deserve credit for winning the match when Frankfurt started a good lineup and had to win handily to have a prayer at forcing extra time, but i can't pretend to see value in either side as I couldn't name a player before this competition restarted.

I did watch plenty of Sevilla and Wolves, so i figured I'd put some thoughts down on paper to see if there's a play somewhere in this one...

Sevilla entered the competition off a longer break than Roma, but really took it to them early. Past Europa league success may have instilled some confidence, though Sevilla qualified for Champions League in La Liga and Roma was fighting to win the tournament to do so themselves. The motivation discrepancy was no issue, Sevilla started on the front foot and remained there. I really don't understand what's going on with Eder Banega's contract as it supposedly expired yet he finished La Liga and then was on the pitch for Roma. He was good, Ocampos was good and any offensive concerns I had were dismissed by their dominance. I may have underestimated how poor Serie A is compared to La Liga, though I realize the gap isn't as wide in most people's minds like it is in mine, but it was over early and I accepted having the wrong side with Roma +0.5

That was a winner-take-all on a neutral site, but Wolves hosted Olympiakos and had the advantage of an away goal after drawing 1-1 in Athens. The match was pretty close throughout, but Olympiakos is far below the talent that Wolves put on the pitch. Wolves need to win this tournament to steal a Champions League berth after losing out to a tiebreaker with Tottenham for Europe next year. The motivation advantage didn't help Roma, but Wolves coming from the most expensive league in the world likely means the playing field will be more level than Serie A vs La Liga.

Affording the roster and upgrading it to keep players and personnel like the manager are needs for Wolves, but that doesn't mean they win today. Wolves plays a wide-open formation unlike anybody else in the EPL, but a 3-5-2 wouldn't seem so wild outside of England. I'm not sure how much Sevilla has seen it in La Liga, but it's popular in other leagues and shouldn't be too much of a surprise. What it does is give space in the middle of the park, where I don't think Sevilla is at its best, but that space can make it easier for the less-special players to service the frontline. Munir not starting vs Roma was a bit surprising, but he came on as a substitute and I think he + Ocampos are the strength of that offense on the wings. The strikers seem to be interchangeable, but the defense is good and Navas is a solid creator from RB.

Wolves plays a defensive game despite the formation and a lot of times relies upon Adama on the wing using his size and speed combination to cross the ball into the box. Jimenez is usually the target, but he has some athletes to deal with in the middle with Diego Carlos and Kounde who has been involved a lot offensively in matches I've watched. Podence picked up a stupid yellow card as he exited the pitch in the R16 game and will be suspended, which limits the firepower up front. I'm not sure he's a huge loss, but his absence hurts depth and there's not a ton of danger created by the Wolves wings either. Defensively, Wolves has some big bodies and decent defensive midfielders, but I think I'm starting to understand why I've seen them as a defensive side. They don't have a lot of offensive threats and without Europe they may not have the cash to acquire those without some sweetheart deals with their Portuguese super-agent relationship.

It's starting to make sense to me that my Sevilla lean if they were around pick was unrealistic as Sevilla looks to be the better side in almost all categories even coming from a less-respected league. Having to use a backup goalkeeper and trying to figure out how to deal with Adama may be the only problem areas for Sevilla today, no thanks at trying to catch a half-win on a draw if I grabbed Wolves +0.25 so i think today is just an entertaining watch instead

yesterday went fairly well, was again impressed by Shakhtar going forward albeit against a weaker side. Wolves got harmed by VAR which clearly has a long way to go to function properly if it misses an encroachment of a guy who clears the ball. Glad I didn't play the +0.25 as separately Sevilla controlled that whole match even if it lacked a threat up front besides Ocampos

Onto today...

Atalanta has been moving all over the place since the Mbappe injury vs ASSE, Teuchel said he would be in the team but not in the XI and we'll see if that's gamesmanship or not. Teuchel supposedly needs this one to keep his job, but that doesn't mean much for the team besides him likely putting Mbappe on the field ASAP for as long as possible.

Injuries have hit Atalanta as well, will be without its starting GK and Ilicic whose story I can’t explain but there’s some drama there. In soccer the GK is meant to be hidden as it's so hard to make a save on a dangerous threat, but that absence may mean a lot there. It also can mean something in leadership and ball possession against a high press as seen by Courtois putting Varane in a bad position to make a mistake that led to Man City's first goal. Ilicic seems to be a scoring threat and contributor to the offense, which will be missed, but that is not Atalanta's problem after setting all the goal-scoring records it did this campaign.

Gasperini will do what he's been doing, go for goals. Can't see Atalanta playing defense since they're underdogs today, especially with PSG likely down Mbappe, but that also means they will be open defensively. In the supposed PSG lineup, Icardi is the leading goal threat (2nd on the team), then Neymar and Sarabia. DiMaria suspended for this one was only the 5th on the list scoring 11 times in all competitions and then Cavani 6th with only 7 is no longer with the club. That means 2, 3, and 4 are available, so there are still plenty of scoring options on the pitch even without Mbappe.

Atalanta conceded 48 times in Serie A play, more than a goal per game. They escaped the group stage with a -4 GD and three losses, averaging two goals conceded per match. Their dominance in Serie A leaves me wondering how good they really are piling up huge wins against poor competition, though their results to close the season were not as bad as I had thought. The leaky defense combined with a backup keeper nearly ensures PSG will get a goal, which takes a 0-0 victory on +0.5 nearly out of the question. Very possible nerves will play a part and cup games tend to play closer since three points isn't as essential as not losing, but I think Atalanta will need to get on the board.

With the penalties and VAR problems, i'm not sure how a game can be completed without a penalty at this point. Very hard to know which side will get one, but 98 goals for in Serie A and a 2 goals per game average in UCL group play makes me think Atalanta will get on the board. Four goals in each leg against mid-table La Liga finisher Valencia doesn't say a ton thanks to the competition, but it at least should prevent PSG from selling out on offense knowing they can be punished when Atalanta has the ball.

The PSG defense is built in the middle with Thiago Silva and Kimpembe then Marquinhos in front of them. Atalanta's three-headed monster misses Ilicic, but Zapata will be a tough matchup if he performs anywhere near what he did in Serie A play. That's yet to be seen against better competition, but Muriel seems to always come off the bench on the wing and that'll be interesting to see if Gasperini stays with that tried and true lineup without Ilicic. Papu Gomez is the creator on the other wing, so it may be a bit more of a challenge for the PSG strong spine to close out on the ATA wings. Malinovskiy is no slouch as he had 9 goals in all competitions this year starting ahead of Muriel at LW, but that may be where this game is decided. Can ATA use its advantage on the wings to break the seal on the PSG net?

The total is 3 with juice on the under, probably a little high for a UCL quarterfinal and that's what's drawing in the under money when you push if it lands 3. Money continues to hit Atlanta today after a long ride since the matchup was announced. PSG started -0.5 then fell to -0.25 on the Mbappe injury among other things and has come back to -0.5 in the past few days with rumors Mbappe may play. If he starts the juice should swing back to the PSG side and this one probably closes PSG -0.75, but Teuchel said he was unlikely to do more than participate off the bench

brutal loss yesterday with two PSG goals in stoppage time, the right side doesn't always win...

Onto today, I've liked the Atletico Madrid side since the reveal. A lot of that is Werner missing, but a bigger portion is the defensive concerns I have with RB Leipzig. It's been a long layoff with some exhibition matches in between, but the defense was bad in Bundesliga play. With Werner in the side, the RBL mantra was to outscore its opponent, not necessarily in a true Atalanta fashion, but that is what they did. There were some bad Atalanta UCL quarterfinal-like collapses with late goals conceded since the restart, I specifically remember Dusseldorf to be one of them and it gave Duss control of its own destiny entering the final matchday, but I'm not sure how successful RBL will be in scoring today.

Atleti is more than the pure defensive side that it used to be, the roster is deeper with offensive talent and may actually have traded some of that vaunted defense for offense. We'll see how that looks in the heat of the UCL competition, but you gotta think any Simeone side will be strong defensively. Without Werner the RBL offense is far weaker than if he was in there, but Poulsen is healthy and included in the lineup. His return helps as I'm not really sure who else would fill in there, but besides Poulsen I'm not sure who is the next biggest threat? It may be Sabitzer who's a midfielder or Olmo from distance, but that's not a lot for Atleti to fret.

RBL has its defense in place from what it used in the Bundesliga, but as mentioned that was a bit leaky for a UCL qualifying side. They have speed with Nkunku and in the wing backs, but Upamecano and Klostermann have a real test today dealing with Atleti.

Atleti starts Diego Costa up top who is a headcase, but is going to be a headache for the RBL defense. Carrasco was very good after the restart, i'm interested not to see Partey but with the Arsenal rumors that may make sense. Atleti's lineup doesn't look terrifying, but it's got a solid bench and that will be a major benefit to Simeone as RBL's legs tire.

Depth is a major Atleti advantage as is defense and potentially offense here, too. Probably some value in playing them, but I don't like the idea of laying any portion of a goal in any match. I especially feel that way today considering the extra time opportunity where Atleti has to feel they are in a better position thanks to their depth, which may see them play a more conservative last few minutes to ensure they don't lose in the dying moments of the match.

PK at -170 offers protection, but I'd likely opt for the -175 to advance number since they'd likely prevail in extra time thanks to that depth. There are questions to that, though, as penalties are likely a 50-50 chance and paying nearly 1/2 in that scenario is not +EV.

Just don't see a lot to do with this one, but expect Atleti to move on and I hope it happens so I can play them vs PSG in the semis

I see under 2.5 as -159 I am thinking I will play that, i don’t see Leipzig scoring, how they are gonna score today? Talk me out of this?

Back