Army vs Texas A&M

ahitspat

Pretty much a regular
Record 2-1 +6.9u

A&M -28 3u may add more later... and thoughts later

Thoughts in no particular order....

I pretty much convinced myself that army won't score (of course we will see since my aggies's defense is so bad right now). At the moment, army is in a year that i guess we can consider as "rebuilding." They currently are switching styles of ball... from a pro set to a triple option running game. I think they used 3 quarterbacks against akron with only one, chip bowden, that was having a good time rushing 21 times for 65 yards; however, he got hurt which leaves the probable starting qb to carson williams. Now the triple option definitely provides a threat to this aggie rush defense, but if i know anything i know about the option.... unfortunately. If someone is not used to running the option game, there will be lots of miscues and in their previous games, they have had quite a lot of turnovers... and this was at home... just imagine a game at a stadium like kyle field for army. Also in the miami game we were able to stop them a few times which bodes better against a team like army.

Now to talk about the aggies... we are bad... and the question is are we really 28 points better than anyone? Maybe , maybe not, but what i did see in the miami game was some improvement in our schemes. We were able to put up a few points against a very strong miami defense... even though the last couple touchdowns were pretty meaningless... possibly miami D letting their intensity down, i like what i saw. As i said in my last write up, the miami speed was going to kill us both defensively and offensively, but now against army we dont have to deal with that speed. Once again, to me, there is no team we can overlook now even though our big 12 opener is next week. And to respond to us respecting army and wont run it up, this is not true. I fully believe if given the chance to run it up, we definitely will so sherman can give the fans something to cheer about. No matter what qb plays (injuries?), I think the pass will be open due to our better talent and also i think goodson runs wild... possibly one of the only games that he will be able to do so. May add some more thoughts later, really tired right now. playing it for 3 u. GL in whatever u play

Last edited:
ahitspat,

isn't this a bit of a rivalry game?...I know that Army is terrible, but I'm not sure I could lay these kind of points with A&M here...BOL to you...

pags, i've never known this to be a rivalry game, but ill have thoughts on this later in the week maybe later today, im a bit short on time right now... and yes 28 is a lot and in a way crazy to have to lay such huge chalk with my terrible aggie team but i have a lot of thoughts... be back later

Ahitspat - now tell me your not going to be like husky and every week your pick just happens be your team because they are ready to play.

Aggy on Aggy fighting is always funny.

1. Is this game at The Tacklebox or San Antonio like last time?

2. I remember the last time (2005? 2006?) Aggy played Army and I had Aggy. Army covered for a variety of reasons, I believe: (1) Aggy underestimated them, (2) Aggy didn't play very well, and (3) even though Aggy was way up and could have covered they didn't pile on Army seemingly out of respect for real soldiers.

Thoughts?

Baylor for #5 in the South. Aggy has major problems. But they could cover 28 in this game.

RJ - I think your perception of last game seems spot on especially #3.

Ahitspat - I know you were. That comment was really directed at some major homer's on this board. Think analysis seems more legit when you don't land on your home team every week.

whoa whoa whoa ... i had army +28 ( roughly ) a couple of years ago when they play in SA and tamu didn't not run it up out of respect ... they were very close to being outplayed and almost lost the game. Army out first downed them heavily in that game and if it were not for a good turnover margin and a late defensive stop in that game , Army would have won outright.

Just saying , dont think TAMU wont run it up if given the chance based on the idea that they havent done it to army in the past ... they couldnt that year as they played as flat as a pancake.

RJ - you're derogitory comments towards the Corp of Cadets at Texas A&M are out of line, but that is to be expected from a teasip.

psssht. Non coms are the real soldiers. I am ex infantry and i can count on both my thumbs the number of times I ran into a squared away Loo Ten Ant from West Point or Rot Sea.

Both these teams are crap. how coulf you possibly bet on this game. It could be 18-0.

General comment here - Army in transition to an option type offense do not have the personnel especially at QB to run this type of offense. Their playcalling is abysmal and they are not using the personnel they have to the fullest advantage (i.e. should be trying to throw the ball more and not run a lameduck option with a qb that is not a threat). Army is not aggressive on defense either and appear to be extremely poorly coached by Stan Brock overall. Even downgrading the schedule is not helping this team.

Back